Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Past tense?

Mr Quixotic

The Lowest Form Of Wit
Withdrawn
Hi there,

I've been role playing for a few years, but this the first time I've joined a site specifically for writers (as I don't consider myself one, I just enjoy the story-telling and creative aspect of roleplay).

I've pretty much only ever role played in first-person, present tense, however I've noticed on this site that many, if not the majority, of people request third-person, past tense.

I'm just curious about the reasons most appear to prefer third person/past-tense.

Personally I feel more 'involved' and part of the story writing in first person, present-tense and I'm a little concerned if I attempt to write in past-tense it's going to take me a while to learn not to mix tenses.

Thanks in advance.

I would guess its because it is how the majority of books are written as opposed to something like a pick your own path story as there is more of a sense of character development to it.

I like first person as well, to me that is the difference between Role Playing and story writing. To me the fun is becoming that character.

When I joined up here though I noticed most did it 3rd person so I just went with it.

Thanks for the answers. Yes, I find first person more immersive. With third person, it feels like I am standing outside, watching it happen to some random 'he' and 'she'. Anyway, I'll see how it goes, may just be because I am so used to first person.

For me it depends on the story and what your partner wants. I've just started a thread with littlerooster and I checked his past posts, which were past tense and he started off like that so I went along with it. I'd have been just as happy with the present. According to his post above, so would he. My thread with lowblow emma is a mix. I am using the past tense, because what you read from me is actually my statement to the police - sorry if that has spoiled the surprise - whereas emma is writing in the present.

I find first person a bit too immersive, especially for some of the darker things I am into. I need that barrier to feel comfortable exploring the darkness. Plus, if you need to include other people in the story, I think it's easier in third person.

I have nothing against the various tenses in general. In fact, I can write in either one when I write my own stories. However, when it comes to RPing, I've had issues where some people don't get the difference and/or separation of reality from writing and thus it can sometimes just get down right creepy. It's sad for those who do get it, but unfortunately from my own experiences many do not. They personalize it too much and then try to cross lines. Better to leave that behind and keep to 3rd person past. It keeps the separation and distance and thus helps to keep things a bit more in perspective. I mean, I can't even begin to tell you how many people say things like..... "I want you to be my submissive." Umm, no. My character will be a submissive to your dominant character. See the difference? Might seem like a small thing, but they can escalate sometimes depending on the person.

The immersion is a large part of the reason I play, to imagine myself (or a character I slip into) doing things i never would in real-life. However, I can definitely understand the point about it sometimes becoming too immersive or needing to separate fiction from reality. I've been on the end of that a couple of times myself.

Also, thinking about what Xanphia said, I probably do play third-person a lot more than I realised when using other characters throughout the play.

Back
Top Bottom