Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Smut In The Silver Age

MellowYellow

Pulsar
Okay, soooo...I've never hosted an adult group RP, so I'm not entirely sure how they differ from normal group stuff. But I had this idea and I kinda decided to pitch it. For those not fluent in comic book lingo, the Silver Age is one of the early periods in comic books that stretches from the mid-fifties to the start of the seventies. It was a period where the most absurd and off the wall stories could come to exist.

And it. Was. Awesome. Examples of Silver Age covers:

61_40611_0_FantasticFourVol113TheRedGhost.jpg

tumblr_mjj99ivz1T1r2ntbyo1_400.jpg

Batman-162-00.jpg

So my idea was, what if we took that type of setting with the superheroes, the crazy weird science and the sheer bizarreness and put a bit of...well, a darker subtext to it all?

The Premise: The year is 1962. JFK is in the White House, the space race is going strong, the Cold War looks set to get hot any second now, and the Vanguard keep the earth safe from all manner of extraterrestrial threats. Wait, what?!

Ah yes, the Vanguard, one of the Earth's greatest superhero teams alongside groups like the Nuclear Family and the Aegis Brigade. Superheroes have existed since the turn of the century, mainly pulp heroes who were lacking in powers for the most part. By the start of World War 1, mutants began to appear, people born with unearthly power. There was a resurgence of magic that allowed sorcerors to walk the planet again, and aliens from beyond the furthest star began to investigate the earth!

The Vanguard were the first and oldest among these groups, the ones who crushed the Axis powers into dust. Even now they are the United States greatest potential weapon against the USSR and their own metahumans, the Winter Guard.

On the outset, this fantastic league of extraordinary men and women appear to be as wholesome as the Superfriends...but as with all celebrities, things are very different behind closed doors. Drug habits, affairs with their teammates, affairs with supervillains, affairs with their own sidekicks (No younger than what the site rules allow) dirty dealings with politicians... As far as the public knows, they're being watched by an army of pure paragons, but the reality is far worse than what they could imagine.

The story would have a few 'hub areas' where characters can interact in groups, and if two or three characters decide to get 'intimate' they can create another thread for those erotic encounters. Their might be some action involving alien invasions or rapacious supervillains.

And as the story is set in the Silver Age of Comics, you can make your hero/villain's powers a little outlandish and powerful if you so desire.

If there's enough interest I'll try and put up a character sheet.

I could be very interested in this. I really have one question though: is it imperative that all characters be "dirty" jerks in paragon clothing? Or could it be just that the characters have some kind of secret that they are hiding from the world? Or perhaps have some kind of internal conflict? Like the Patriot Archetype who doesn't agree with everything going on in his country?

My main reason for asking is partially due to the fact that I tend to prefer to play more heroic characters that have a decent amount of flaw to them, (something the silver age was great at), but are also still heroes who act heroic most of the time.

Oh sure, they can be nice guys at heart. I mean hell, why else would they be heroes in the first place? I just think it'd be an interesting spin on things if they had vices of some sort, the kind of thing you wouldn't see in a conventional Marvel or DC book. Now that said, things will be far from grimdark. There'll be the air of silliness to everything that appeared in a lot of Silver Age books, and heroes will still be heroes despite some questionable personality traits. It's not gonna be like a Garth Ennis book or anything.

Excellent. I really like the idea and am totally on board! I just figured I would ask before assuming, and mainly I didn't want to be the only one plaing a mostly good guy with some flaws to him. I totally agree that adding flaws and vices work really well for this idea.

I mean, I totally respect everyones own individual tastes and styles, but yeah... Ennis and his body of work just does nothing for me. Well anyway, I don't want this to become a discussion in the merits of comic books and what not. Needless to say you have one player :D

You know what... I'm interested, especially if there is someone willing to play my young side kick (no younger then 15-16) But yeah I am very interested in super hero plots.

Don't really know much about the silver age, but I like the setting.

Oh awesome.
I'm not entirely sure where to go from here when it comes to making group sessions on this RP...I suppose I'll make a character sheet later.

Well, first thing first, I imagine it'd be a good idea to throw out the IC and profile threads - maybe a brief little skeleton so people could toss out a couple characters - might influence how you want to create your own. Intermingling backstories is typically a good way to get the juicy stuff flowing straight from the start, sort of like a movie hook.

would anyone mind if I modeled my character after Oliver Queen\ The Green Arrow? the use of the trick arrows fascinates me, and I like the idea of making an archer. In personality wise I was thinking of making him a bit of a braggart, to the public he would seem more boastful and happy then the others, but behind close doors, he is physically and maybe even sexually abusive (especially if someone wants to sign on as a side kick for my character, 15-16 year old female)

I think it fits well with the atmosphere and there is certainly a lot that the trick arrows could do in the silver age setting.

would anyone mind if I modeled my character after Oliver Queen\ The Green Arrow? the use of the trick arrows fascinates me, and I like the idea of making an archer. In personality wise I was thinking of making him a bit of a braggart, to the public he would seem more boastful and happy then the others, but behind close doors, he is physically and maybe even sexually abusive (especially if someone wants to sign on as a side kick for my character, 15-16 year old female)

I think it fits well with the atmosphere and there is certainly a lot that the trick arrows could do in the silver age setting.

I mean, I don't have any problems with it at all. I love archer characters myself, Green Arrow being my personal preferance. So I say goit for!

For my character I had a couple ideas myself, but I thought I would run one of the more involved/stranger ideas that I had and see what the rest of you thought:

The main idea is that the character fits the archtypal Alien outsider archetype, though I tend to play/have them less of the distant "emotionless" types, even if they tend to still maintain a bit of that loner or outsider edge. But anyway, the idea or twist is that he isn't actually an alien but an android created by the government, or some other clandestine group, that wants to use him to sort of sway the public towards their agendas by sort of being on their side sort of thing. Like perhaps he goes on record several times stating how their space defensive programs are great and all that. The secondary idea being that he knows that he is an android, but wants to believe, almost desperatly, that he is in fact who he tells people he is.

Too much of a stretch for this?

Back
Top Bottom