Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Merc and The Noble (Me and TheDarkerMe)

desertpaladin

Supernova
Giving a long sigh as a bit of smoke flowed from his lips Lance walked down the forest pathway. He hoped that the information that he had heard from that strange panicked man was right and not just some bandit's feeble attempt at an ambush. A few had tried to ambush him in the past but they all were usually left in a pool of their own blood, if not a worse fate. Now despite the fact that Lance had just exhaled smoke he was not smoking a pipe or anything else, no he was just using a bit of his gifts... he was part dragon, his grandfather being a half dragon and the DNA was still alive and kicking in Lance, though it only showed with his eyes which were reptilian slits and had very interesting shade of green. He was also given some amazing strength and agility as well as the ability to breathe fire. Other than that he appeared human. He stood at an impressive height of 6'4" and was built like what would be the middle ground between an ox, pure muscle, and a cheetah, pure athletics. His hair was long and brown like the earth with a bit in front of his face but the rest was tied into a pony tail behind him, though the hair did not go down very far, just a little past mid-shoulder blade.

He was dressed in an interesting fashion as well. He wore a tunic and some pants under the armor he wore but his armor was a combination of both plate and hardened leather. He had a plate gauntlet, shoulder guard and elbow guard on his left arm as well as a plate breastplate. He had some more plate armor that protected his lower legs. Meanwhile he also had many leather belts wrapped around his abs and a leather gauntlet and shoulder guard on his right arm. His feet were protected by leather boots, the last thing that he had on him for clothing was a cloak that he had on with the hood down at the moment. On his back strapped there by many leather belts was a massive two handed sword that looked too heavy for someone of his size to carry but he seemed to be very relaxed and ok with carrying the massive weight. His reptilian eyes looked back and forth carefully making sure to take in everything so as not to be snuck up on.

From what the man in the last town had said, he was a runner for some noble who apparently had decided to piss off the local bandits. Now they were attacking her city and innocent people were being killed and raped if the bandits were on a bad day but just looted if it was a good one. He knew the people would not be able to last long once a bandit group suddenly became feral so he had decided to at least check out the town. While he did believe in the greater good he also was a mercenary so money and or women usually was what gave him final say, he did not do things for free after all. Placing his leather gauntleted hand behind his neck he shifted it back and forth cracking it as he sighed and he then kept moving seeing the town growing in the distance. He smiled and he began to head inside of the town, figuring most would be rather run down if not completely destroyed by the bandits.

Selene growled beneath her breath as she gripped her hands on the hilt of the blade. She had ordered the Master of Arms to teach her how to defend herself, so that if she was ever caught unawares, she could defend herself. He was not finding it an easy, nor likeable task. She had to say neither was she. A woman that wasn't exactly a woman, only twenty years of age and already a Widow. She stood at 5'3'' and seemed to lack any sort of curves, until you realized she was hiding them in the baggy masculine clothing she was wearing.

OF course, that was just what she considered a good idea, at the time. Her hair was a sort of silvery color, a blond only seen in those of Fae blood. It was braided and pinned to her head, held out of the way so it wasn't a detriment to her fighting. Her eyes were a slightly violet color, and didn't make her happy at all. They marked her as one of the 'others'. One of the outsiders in her family. A damnably bad thing to be! She hated that life, being on the outside cause she had the 'Fae' blood, when others didn't.

She ducked the blow her Master of Arms threw at her, and side-stepped. She dropped her blade to the ground and then darted forward, using her forward momentum to throw him offguard when she tackled him in the gut. Her brother had taught her that one, before she had gotten married at sixteen. Already mother to one child, she was a Widow of only a year. The child, a boy was heir to the Estates she oversaw. Sol was only two years old, and it was sad that he would never remember his father.

Derrick had been a kind man, not very intelligent... but that wasn't always needed. He had been kind with Selene, and had loved Sol very much. He had died in War, for the Honor of his King. Idiot.

Now she had to deal with the damnable Bandits on her own, and being called "Countess Moon", so far away and unreachable. By those that the King sent to be her new partners. She had gotten a reprieve, and the King had allowed her to make her choice in marriage. He feared her 'Fae' blood, more then anyone else, it seemed. Oh well, his fault.

Lance looked back and forth as he walked through what was practically rubble. he saw women and children out on the street, more than likely their husbands were killed and there were wounded almost everywhere. Lance growled under his breath as he pulled the hood over his head. he seemed to be frightening some people by his eyes and his growling but he continued toward the most undamaged building, the manor that clearly belonged to this villages noble.

Heading toward the large wooden doors he was stopped by a few guards who already seemed shaken "State your name and your business" one said as he was slightly shaking as he saw the eyes from the figure under the cloak "I am Lance Dragonbane... I herd from a runner from this village that you were suffering from a bandit problem... so I am going to see the noble of this village to talk about the job so" he gently moved one of the guards spears that had been crossed to show no entry and then the other "I am going inside to speak with the person that will pay me for making sure you two fine gentlemen do not have to waste your lives" and he then pushed the doors open heading into the foyer of the place.

He sighed as a few servants began to run away from the slight intruder and he only rolled his eyes as he walked forward, finding one servant who seemed to be just shaking in their boots, unable to move. "Now would you go and find your master and have him meet me, I recieved word from your runner that this village is in need of my services... so you will direct me to the audience chamber and then go and get your master so that way we can talk... now move" he said as the servant jumped and nodded as Lance was lead into the audience chamber, which was a room with one throne sitting there. Lance just stood there looking around the large room as he waited for his future employer.

The servant stared at the man, his eyes widening as he shook harder. "Uhhhh sir, the Mistress is in the Yard..." He said in a nearly choked voice. Motioning to the doors he had just walked through. "Out tha"

Selene had seen the man walk by, she hoped to the gods that he wasn't here for her. She stopped training for a moment and stood up straight. Walking towards the doorway, she saw the man talking to Geof. A frown crossing her features, as she realized what he was here for.

Her hands braced on her hips as she quirked an eyebrow. "Excuse me, Dragonbane is it?" She said as she cocked her hip to the side. Such a sight she was! A Countess in trousers and a shirt, and no gown! She held a blade in her hand, and had a fire in her eye that few women had these days. "Excuse me, but that runner was supposed to reach the King.... but it appears he found someone sooner."

She seemed rather, bored in her tone. A proper lady, in all but her dress.

He grinned turning to her and he had a feeling this woman was in charge. Just the aura about her, true she was dressed down but he walked over to her and he nodded "And you are lucky he reached me... he was not in the best shape when he got to the village I was at... hell he had a bit of an arrow still lodged in his leg" he said as he stood before her clearly checking her out with no shame what-so-ever.

"I heard that you seemed to have pissed off a local bandit group, and while bandits tend to be mostly harmless, I know this group has practically gone feral by how your man described them... you will need an army or me, and lucky for you I am easier to keep fed and paid than an entire army" he grinned at her "So how about it, i suply the town with defences and you give me something worth while" he said as he was looking over her body once more.

Selene could feel his gaze, her hackles felt like they were visibly rising. The hair on the back of her neck stood, and anger flashed through her. She braced her hands on her hips and tilted her head back. Her eyes glaring at him visibly. Violet anger and fire. "Yes, well dragon blooded are sometimes harder to care for then a normal soldier." She stated in a drawling voice. She had seen the eyes, and from his size, she knew what he was.

She crossed her arms over her chest now and gave him a once over. Not bad, but not her type. She wasn't interested in relationships, she had Sol to raise. Speaking of sol the little mophead of sunshine darted into the room and tackled his mothers legs.

"Mummy!"

Selene dropped her hand to his head and stroked her fingers over his hair. Watching the golden ringlets move. Fathers hair, mothers eyes. An enchanting child, and a dangerous adversary to anyone that wanted possession of this place. She looked up at the man again and then cleared her throat. "You'll be shown to quarters, dinner will be shortly. We can discuss more then." She stated in a matter of fact tone.

He noticed the child and he nodded as he looked up at her. Her body was perfect, even after having bred another being. That made him slightly want her more, he could pop as many of his kids out of her as he wanted and she would still look amazing.

He nodded and grinned "It's a date" he said giving her a small wink as he was lead off by a servant. Many of the servants in the room were amazed with how he acted, he was such a rude perverted man, everyone thought that as the dragonblooded man was lead to his room.

Lance himself began to think a bit, true a lot was about banging the noble who clearly showed no interest in him, a challenge in his eyes, but it was as to how to defend the town. he would need to know exactly how to defend it and from where. he was already mapping stradegy after stradegy in his head.

Selene picked up Sol and hummed a soft lullaby as she watched the man leaving. Damn perverted Dragon-Blooded. She shook her head and bounced her son on her knee as she walked back into the courtyard. "Now Sol, you stay right here, and watch mummy practice." She said gently as she set him down and then re approached her Master at Arms.

She practiced for quite awhile, and the after effects made her happy. She went to her room to get dressed, and found herself very excited with the prospects ahead of her. Someone to protect her people, while she learned how to defend them herself. After that, she was going to help raise Sol, all on her own. No man in her life, was needed. She was damn certain of that.

Humming under her breath the woman went back to her chambers, and got dressed. The gown was simple and modest, all she could afford at the moment, dealing with the war and bandits was sucking up her money. But everything would be fine, it would be fine indeed. She'd have to negotiate a fair price, and then figure out how to get the money for it.

Dinner rolled around, and the woman approached her seat. Sitting down and smiling as her son crawled into her lap. He was all she had, and she was all he had.

Lance had been lead to his room and he had looked around it as it was rather nice for what the town's condition was. he did thank the servant as he looked out the window and he frowned a little as he did not have a good view of the town. So sighing he then left the room and he began to explore her manor. it was a nice place, but he knew the bandits would not come to attack here, this placve was too well guarded, they would try to choke it.

But from the manor he could not get a good idea on how the town itself was... like where were the weak spots. Sighing he headed out, making sure that no one saw him leave because he figured that the noble would get a little mad if he left. He started to take a walk around town, noticing anything and everything. he had to have some stradegy to show her that he knew what he was talking about, and he was gone rather late.

When she would start dinner a servant was to go and fetch him he came back to the dining hall saying that the dragon blood had left, that he was not in his room. However just as that was said the main doors to the dining hall opened as he stepped in smiling 'Sorry for leaving unannounced, but i had to get some idea on the shape of the village" he said as he mo ed and he sat down leaning back in the chair as he looked at her and her son 'So what are you willing to offer for my services?"

Selene stroked her fingers over her sons hair. The man walked in as he was needed, and before her servant could really tell her that he was gone. "What is your rate, for services?" She asked lightly as she folded her hand in her lap. Her eyes focusing on the man that was speaking to her. Her eyes were half-lidded but anger was definitely in her eyes. She didn't like how he looked at her, or what he did.

"Simple as this, my people need defense. If you can offer that, we will reward you handsomely. We will do what it takes, within reason." She stated simply as she set Sol down. His nursemaid picked him up, as she looked towards Lance again. "I'm not exactly well versed in combat, but I am learning. I will hear whatever you have to say, and speak to my steward to see if it is something that we can manage."

She seemed so calm and serene. Like the name she possessed. Countess Moon, Selene... She was indeed that. Many suitors had tried to reach her heart, but none had succeeded. Nor would they, she had cared about her people too much to be a moonsick child again. Nothing would ever come between her caring for her loved ones, ever again.

He nodded and he said "Well that depends on how long you want my services" he smiled as he leaned back in his chair a bit as he looked at her "For short time, such as a day or two just some coin, what you can spare obviously, i understand bandits have been attacking for a while, I saw that from looking at the town" he now leaned forward looking very serious as he looked over to her "I know they will not be gone within a couple days, and i am fine with a modest wage as long as I have a place to stay." he looked at her as he said 'I can buy my own food, or hunt for what I need however the thing is I believe you understand me when I say that the time is getting short before I go feral again"

Now going feral was fine, usually most dragons could control themselves from doing anything too horrible but if he went feral and got into a battle more than likely innocents and property will be damaged. He looked at her quite serious as he then said "And by that time I will demand a woman, as you know lust will soon counterbalance the feral behavior" he watched her his eyes locking on hers, he was being completely serious with her as he said "And during that time I will demand you... unless you can show me a woman I would want more, however i walked through your entire town and I saw none that i would want more... and I know you can handle dragons... it is in your fae blood"

"We will need your services for a bit. Till the Bandits are capable of being gone for good. At least, something as close to that as possible." She stated as she kept her hands folded in her lap. She cocked her head to the side and listened to him quietly, her eyes never seeming to feed in their look of cold fury. Something about the man just seemed to anger her. She couldn't pinpoint it, but now she knew what it was. He started talking about going feral, all sweet gods! No this was not happening.

She knew what was coming next as he began to speak further. Her hands clenching in her skirts as she seemed to get more distant, and anger filled her eyes even more. Her most trusted stepped up towards her, and then stepped back, fear radiating from them as she slowly stood. She stared at the man, her face full of contempt. "You will have what woman you can get, you will not have me. How dare you deem yourself capable of bedding me!" She stated as she tilted her head back, squaring away her shoulders.

"Even the king has pardoned me from going to someones home and bed, till I feel the need to have a partner. I feel no need, but that of raising my child and people. Our town has a fine Courtesan staying on visit. She doesn't leave for two months. You can occupy yourself with her, she has a taste for dragon blood. But you sir, will not have me." She stated as she glared at him, contempt evident on her features.

"You may have your modest wage, and a place to stay. We are DONE." She stated as she turned and started to walk out of the room. She would NOT be insulted.

he stood then the chair falling back as he glared at her and he said "If you think i am a monster then you are sadly mistaken... a woman who has closed her heart off to all but herself is worse than a man who is tainted by his ancestor's curse" he glared at her "I am being truthful with you... if I were to have any woman in this village hell in this world i would pick you... you are like me... human mostly but you have the blood of another... it makes you an outsider" he said as he stood there next to the table. he may be getting pissed at her but he knew if he moved toward her he was as good as jailed. "They will never see either of us as their equals, hell... you will see tomorrow... they will attack the village from the market district... I know this because it is the least damaged... it does not reak of the bandits themselves..."

He was glaring at her "I will defend your village... your family, everything and sacrafice my life doing so for literally nothing... do not insult me by just saying a whore is the best I can do... i may not be human but I actually have a soul" he said as he then began to walk away from her as he stopped at the door to turn to look at where she was as he said "I know what i am... I am a monster by all humankind... However i am a man who can save their lives when they need it... I will still try but even when i am feral... I will never do such a thing as rape" he then left her heading off to his bedchambers, his nostrils and his mouth all smoking as he was just pissed off.

Selene moved her head back, and watched him. Silent anger coursing through her body. Her hands braced on her hips. He left, smoke trailing him. She quirked a brow, and then sat back down. She began to eat, and ignored the fact that it smelt like brimstone in her dining hall. "Someone light some incense." she stated lightly. Her hands rested in her lap, and then she slowly rose to stand. She had to sleep, tomorrow was a big day.

She walked to her chambers, and removed her garments. She slipped beneath the overs and allowed herself to rest properly. It was hard, at first. She slowly started to drift off, her eyes closed and her body started to sagged. Her body hummed with exhaustion as she slowly slumped further into her bed.

The sun broke through the blinds, and slanted across her eyes. Her body shaking as she wiggled a little. She climbed from bed, and began to slowly get out. She got dressed, and made her way downstairs to the courtyard.

However she would not een take a step down the flight of stairs leading to the courtyard the main doors burst open as one of the people from her village came bursting in "They... they are back!" he managed to yell out as he collapsed to his hands and knees on the floor seeming to have run all the way here just to get some help from her and her guards. "They... they are attacking the market district..." he managed to gasp out as he looked up at some of the guards and servants who had come to the man's attention "but... there was someone with a huge sword there..." he said, most of the villagers did not know that Lance had been employed by the countess yet, they just saw him as another stranger.

Lance had been waiting for the bandits, having not even stayed in the room he had been given that night as he had instead slept on one of the roofs of the shops. When he heard the sound of bandits he woke instantly and jumped down from the small shops roof as he grinned looking at the squad of bandits that had been sent in to raid the town. The bandits, seeing their new challenger quickly surrounded the man, mocking him as their leader spoke "Well men it looks like they sent in a beast to fight us off, I'm insulted aren't you?" he called out to the rest of the human bandits who responded with cheers and laughter. However as the leader spoke Lance just turned around counting each one. The leader noticed this and he glared at Lance 'You beast, what the hell are you doing" and without skipping a beat Lance said '20... so it looks like I will have to just kill 19 of you" he said with a nod and the men seemed pissed at that "Why you little" the leader responded "men... rush him!" the men then all began to move forward to attack but Lance pulled a strap that seemed to be coming from his back as he then pulled his blade out, and he carved 4 of them on the spot, the four unlucky fast ones.

Lance only grinned as he looked at the leader and he stuck out his tongue. To him this was a game, these men had no skill compared to one who had the blood of a dragon flowing through his veins. The battle ensued and the men often times did try to rush him, sometimes Lance was on the defensive but usually he could just spit out a bit of fire or smoke and the men would back away in fear. Metal clashed upon metal until finally only one stood while the rest lay in pools of their own blood, naturally enough it was the leader who Lance quickly grabbed and he held the massive blade against the man's neck as he grinned 'Now... what was all of that beast talk?" The bandit quickly began to appologise, sputtering out how he did not want to die. Lance gave a discusted look as he tossed the man back and he said "return to your boss, and tell him the raids stop today... otherwise your boss is going to lose a lot of manpower" the bandit quickly scurried away and Lance sighed as he began to clean the blood from his sword.

Back
Top Bottom