Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Running Away ((Blair1216&&Lady_Squall_Lionheart))

Chad started to head out the door of his house, moving around all of the packed boxes and heading out the door. "I'm sorry to hear that," he said, eyebrows scrunched together, "I'm on my way. I'll give you a call when I'm in town." With that, he hung up and moved toward his car, driving it straight for the airport.

When Jason returned, Vera reached for his hand and gently tugged him into the bed with her. She wanted him to hold her and assure her that everything would be okay. That the baby was fine... She didn't realize how in love she was with her unborn child until she feared that she was going to be taken away from her. "Thank you for being here," she whispered, looking up at him. For once, she was not fighting him on rest or the fact that he called in to work for her. She was willing to do what he wanted, as long as he was there for her.

"You think she's really okay?" she whispered, referring to the baby.

Jason smiled a little as he slid into bed with her, laying on his side, laying a hand on her stomach absently trying to comfort himself that the baby was fine, resting his head against her shoulder he curled his taller body around hers, before nodding.”I am. I really am.”He muttered nuzzling his face against her shoulder, trying to relax and let her relax, sighing as they settled in to sleep.”I’m sorry you’re Christmas ended up like this.”He muttered yawning.

When chad called Jason stirred, yawning as he slipped away from vera.”I’ll be right back.”He muttered reassuring her, bending down to kiss her forehead before walking out of the room, looking worried as he directed chad where to come, looking slightly glad to see him. “Come on.”He said leading him back towards the room. Looking worried because he wasn’t sure how vera would react, but he knew that vera needed to be told what was done. To him, and what he was paranoid enough to be worried about.

When Jason fell asleep, Vera smiled at the sight of his large body curled beside her in the tiny twin bed, his hand resting on her stomach. Gently, she stroked his hair and closed her eyes, eventually settling in a calm sleep, feeling so much better knowing that he was there with her.

That morning, Vera barely stirred when he got up, only nodding sleepily.

Chad looked worn out from the flight, a large cup of coffee in his hand. When Jason entered the waiting room, he handed Jason a cup of coffee too, knowing he probably didn't get much sleep. "Good morning," he said, smiling a bit, "What can I help you with Jason?"

He followed the man back to the room where Vera was staying in, and frowned at the sleeping girl, seeing her hooked up to monitor, tracking the baby's heart beat as she slept. Besides that, she looked as healthy as she did the night before at the Christmas party.

"What's wrong?" he whispered, looking over to Jason, "She seems okay. Is there something the doctors don't know about?" With that, he raised his eyebrows at him with curiosity.

Jason swallowed hard,”Morning.”he muttered looking over vera for a long moment, running his fingers through his hair before looking up at chad. “You know who runs the program right? Governor Thrasher. And his middle daughter is currently missing.”he said looking uncomfortable as he stared down at vera, before looking up at chad, feeling stupid now that he was voicing his worry. “You’re looking at vera thrasher.”He said swallowing hard, looking around anxiously.

“There’s nothing on the tests, nothing at all to say that there’s anything wrong. But she’s in pain, and something is wrong, and I thought…”he shuddered not able to say it outloud. “She was raped. By her sister’s fiancée, a man of her father’s choosing…I…I… I cant say what I want to. Its to..horrible.”he said looking pale and shaken.

Chad was an intelligent man, and it was easy for him to pick up on what the other man was saying. He was also hard to shock. It was just too hard to surprise or disturb a man who worked on the kind of projects that he did as a doctor. However, he did look concerned. He looked over at Vera with raised eyebrows, noting her facial structure... Yes, he couldn't believe he had not seen it before. Maybe it was because he remembered her as a young, blond toddler from back in the day when he was friends with her father.

"If it makes you feel better, I'm positive that Governor Thrasher wouldn't do it," he said, shaking his head, "The man didn't know enough about the actual mutation process. Sure, he funded it, but he would have had a doctor come in and give her the mutation injections, and you know from experience that they are painful. She would have remembered. Besides, he can't inject a fetus that is only a few weeks old without changing her as well. It's impossible." Reaching over, he placed a hand on his shoulder. "However, I don't think you are wrong to be suspicious. If she's having pains that the tests aren't picking up, I'd be more than happy to do my own tests on her... I know what to look for when it comes to the mutation DNA."

"I'm not necessarily saying Thrasher isn't cruel enough to do such a thing, but he's not smart enough," he said, "Though I fear what he would do with her when he found her. She's caused quite a stir. It's probably good that she's had you here to help her stay under the radar, considering you know how to do that so well." With that, he smirked.

"If you want me to do tests, we will have to take her to my home in California. All of my lab equipment is still in that lab, not the one that is in the house I bought here," he said, "I can meet you at the airport this evening if you want to take her home to pack."

Jason looked relieved at the man’s words, slumping a little. “Well, I don’t know if it disturbs me that he’s not intelligent enough to do it, or that she had such a cruel father.”He muttered looking down at vera, before looking up at chad. “Thank you. I mean….I know you want me to do something for you…but she’s…I want to protect her. Even if it means risking everything. I was created to be a assassin…”he trailed off, shrugging a little. The rest unsaid, whoever he had to kill to protect her, was going to get buried if it meant protecting vera.

“I do that well. Amazingly enough, we just happened to find each other by chance.”He muttered blushing ever so slightly before nodding. “I’ll get her ready to go. California’s warm this time of year.”he said smiling, despite the fear he was feeling, he was pleased with the idea of getting to sunny California. Looking down at vera he moved over, gently shaking her shoulder,”vera, you need to wake up.”She muttered softly, not wanting to scare her

Chad smiled a little, because he had to admit it, he liked the man's guts, and he liked his determination to protect Vera. "Your secrets are safe with me, Jason, and so are her's." He took a sip of his coffee. "If you haven't already guessed, I am not a fan of Governor Thrasher either." With that, he left the two to their privacy and went about getting three tickets to California. As he waited for them, he made a point to grab some lunch at the airport.

Vera stirred, looked up at him with scrunched eyebrows. "Are they letting me go?" she asked, slowly sitting up in the bed. Reaching up, she ran her hand through her hair and started to stretch. She wasn't in pain, but she was uncomfortable. There was something wrong, she just knew it. However, she didn't want to worry him. Maybe it was all in her mind.

“Yea, in a few minutes.”Jason said smiling as he looked her over, having stopped to talk to both the doctor and the nurses to make sure it was okay, before he’d talked to chad. “We have to talk.”He muttered biting his lip, not sure how to explain, looking around for the words to explain,”I know…you know I’m not…normal. Not…human.”he said biting his lip, fangs shredding it in his anxiety, worried that she would leave him.

“The doctor…chad…is part of the team that created the mutations. Since then, he’s rebelled, changed his ways. Is helping others like me.”he swallowed hard moving over to hold her hand, “But.. there’s something you need to know. Your father…the governor…is the one who financed the project. I…I know there’s something wrong with the babe, even if the tests don’t show anything. I want to make sure its nothing like…what he’s been doing to adults.”He said looking so anxious, worried how she would react.

Vera, at first, did not know how to process the information. She just sat there and stared at him, and soon, her hand went up to cover her mouth in shock. Her eyes welled up in tears... The worst part of it all was that she wasn't as surprised or shocked as she should be. Her father was a selfless, cruel man who would do anything and everything to gain a little power. She just hated that Jason had to suffer for one of her father's actions. It was something so horrid to think about that it made her feel sick.

"Jason," she whispered, frowning, "I'm... I'm so sorry."

At the mentioning of the baby, her eye brows shot up. "You think he did something to the baby? But I didn't even know I was pregnant until I left. And I was only a month along when I was in New York." She looked confused, but she was not about to chance it. Maybe they could figure out what is wrong.

"So, Chad is going to help is figure out what is going on?" she said, tilting her head to the side.

Jason nodded a little at her words, “Its okay…I’ve learned to live better like this. Its…better with you near.”he muttered before shrugging a little. “I don’t know!I don’t, but I’m scared, and I know somethings wrong. I don’t know what, but…you’re father is cruel. And…I don’t know. I’m being paranoid I know, but I need to know there’s nothing wrong.”he said looking anxious before nodding.

“He is. He has home in California that he would like us to go to, so he can run the tests. I know its not wise to trust someone so soon…but I’m scared vera.”he muttered looking pained to have to admit that before swallowing hard. “But I wont let anyone hurt you….”He muttered the deadly fury at the idea of her being hurt shined through his eyes, the serpent eyes deadly serious as he leaned down to kiss her head. “I wont let anything happen to you,vera.”He said stroking her hair.

Vera swallowed hard, a tear going down her cheek. Not because she was sad, but because she felt so guilty for what her father had done to him. And here Jason was, being so incredibly good to her. So much better than she ever deserved. And she believed every word he said - that he would protect her. "I'm scared too," she whispered, "But I trust you. Let's go to California."

Leaning in, she put her hand on his cheek, and before she could think twice, she pressed her lips to his, something they had always avoided. However, it felt right. It felt good to kiss the man she was falling so hard for, a man who was willing to risk absolutely everything for her and the baby... Their baby. It felt like the baby belong to him as much as it did her now.

Pulling back, she gave him a reassuring smile. "Come on. We need to pack."

“Okay.”Jason said looking relieved that she had agreed to go. Jerking back as she kissed him, looking startled as she stared at him, fangs showing as he tried to keep from striking out at at her. Startled that she had kissed him, the man was responding like it was a attack. Swallowing hard he smiling.”Lets go then.”he said wrestling his instincts back under control before getting them ready to go.

When they got to the plane Jason gave chad a tired smile, “Did you have any problems getting tickets?”He asked looking concerned, and even more concerned because him and vera didn’t have id’s or any of the necessary paperwork that would allow them to fly. When he’d moved from Colorado, he’d driven, avoiding the planes. He hadn’t even considered trying. So this, worried him. Biting his lip he swallowed hard.”I know you wouldn’t have suggested it if it would be a problem…but can see fly?I mean, while pregnant?”

Chad nodded and stood up from the chair he was sitting in. "The tickets are taken care of, and don't worry about an I.D... I've got friends in low places," he said, smirking a bit. It was true. You don't work for the government for all of those years without having some perks. Looking down at Vera, he nodded. "She will be fine," he said, "She just needs to take it easy and get into bed as soon as we get there. I have someone fixing a room up for the two of you right now."

Vera huffed in frustration. "You two realize I'm standing right here, right? You don't have to talk like I'm not in the room," she said, feeling a little frustrated and testy after having Jason jerk away from her kiss like that. She knew it wasn't his fault, but it bruised her hormonal ego.

Chad grinned a bit. "I'm sorry, Vera," he said, then reached out to help Jason carry their bags. "Let's get going. The sooner we start tests the better."

“Well, you’re usually reckless. Like wearing high heels. Or going to work at the diner. I’m going to make sure you’re okay.”Jason said sounding just as testy and annoyed as she did, just as angry with himself as she was, annoyed with himself for not being able to be different then what he was. Yawning a little he handed over his bags as they headed onto the plane. “So, where in California are you?It’s warm right?”He said sounding ready to be even more annoyed if it wasn’t. He was just feeling was just to jumbled up, and he was reverting to being the asshole she’d first met in order to deal with the instincts and emotions that were tearing him apart.

Chad grinned a bit. "The warm side of California," he answered, then walked with them through the air port security and on to the plane. It was an easy, quick flight, and they landed a couple hours later. When they arrived, it was suddenly clear how Chad could drop $100,000 without batting an eyelash. His house was huge, at least three stories high, with a fountain in the middle of the circular driveway out front. However, he seemed to be modest. He didn't have maids or anything like that. On the inside, it was decorated with nice furniture, but nothing too lavish. Everything was neutral and orderly, though a bit boring.

"We are going down stairs," he said, helping Jason with the bags, "There is a bedroom down there that is across from the lab. I stay down there when I'm working on something that takes a lot of my attention."

The bedroom in the lower level was nice, set up like a normal master bedroom with a King sized bed and it's own restroom. It also had a television, which would be useful since Vera had to be on bedrest, and she was sure Jason wouldn't let her slide on it.

"That's the room you are more than welcome to stay in," he said, nodding to the room, "And here's the lab across the hall. Let's get started with tests, shall we?"

With that, he put on a lab coat and gloves, then started to turn on some machines. "Help her on to the bed," he said, "I'm going to get set up."

Jason looked around them, looking a little amazed.”Well, now I wont feel so bad for taking your money. This place is huge.”He muttered looking around them, before smiling as he helped vera onto the bed.”Good thing it has a tv. Since you’re not leaving bed for awhile.”he muttered looking down at her amused, pressing a quick kiss to her cheek and backing off before she could yell at him. Having a feeling she was still upset with him.

“Sooner the better.”Jason said sounding anxious, worried about what they were going to find out as he helped her lay down, sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting to see what would happen next. Anxious and scared about it.

Chad moved around the bed to hook her up to a heart monitor, wanting to track the baby's heart beat. Once that was taken care of, he helped Vera lift her shirt up enough so that he could begin a sonogram, though it was much more detailed than the one at the hospital. She could actually see her daughter in there with her cute little cheeks and pouty lips... It was beautiful.

"Have you had any spotting?"

Vera bit her lip. "A little here and there," she admitted, "But my doctor said it was fine."

He nodded, looking up at the screen. He pushed a button to make it zoom in a bit more.

"How often do you feel colder than usual?" he asked. Vera thought about it for a moment. She had been blaming it on the weather, but when she took the time to think about it, she really had been cold a lot... She almost always wore a jacket, socks, and a blanket around the house even with the fire going.

"A lot," she admitted.

Chad took down a few notes. "What does the pain feel like exactly?"

"Like... A pinch. A really painful pinch."

Chad went about checking her fluids, blood pressure, temperature and heart rate. He also took a vial of her blood, then went about running some tests. It took him nearly an hour, and when he came back, he didn't look very happy at the results.

"You really are quite healthy, Vera," he said, "And so is the baby... But I do think that something is different about the child. I think that she has become infected, but not in the way you thought." He pressed his lips together. "Assuming that you two have been sexually active, I have a theory."

He turned to Jason. "You are, in a way, a super human. Everything about your DNA is equipped to eliminate any being you choose. It's stronger than the DNA of a human, and it's created with a mutation that is very, very strong. You also have stronger instincts, even when it comes to mating... I have no doubt in my mind that she was pregnant before she ran away. In fact, the baby is on progress with that timeline. However, by having intercourse, you injected semen into Vera's womb. This semen carried your mutation DNA. You remember how I said that she could not have had her child changed with out her being changed? That's true. She couldn't have had the injections... I think it was the direct contact of your semen and her womb that triggered it. Your semen mutated the fetus just like how the injections mutated yourself. What is in there is a healthy baby girl, but with your DNA. In a sense, that's your child through and through. Any DNA test would prove that. That means... That means this baby has probably developed some of your characteristics, and judging by the close up on the sonogram, I'm assuming she has developed herself a nice pair of fangs, which might explain Vera's... pain... And since the baby has your DNA, it would explain your extreme attachment."

After saying all that, he looked at the two, waiting for them to process the information he had gathered. It was a shot in the dark that could not be proven until the baby was born, but he couldn't think of any other way that this could have happened.

Jason stared down at the sonogram, his face still and worried before paling rapidly as he realized what had happened. Scrambling to his feet he swallowed hard,”I…I have to go. I…I…I’ll be back…”He said pale and shaking as he rushed out of the room, shaken by the idea that he had changed her so fundamentally. Scared, because he was an adult, had learned as a older person to curb the desire to be the assassin they’d created. He’d tried so very hard to be careful with vera, and yet he’d messed up anyways. And that idea was hard on him.
Looking around he thought about where he could go, feeling trapped inside as he stumbled up the stairs, and hitting the backdoor at a run, slamming to a stop on the backporch, panting like a winded horse as he went to his knees, going to all four as he struggled to not throw up.

Vera watched him go and quickly started to get herself out of the bed, but Chad stopped her. He insisted she was going to over exert herself and helped her into the bed in the guest room before following after Jason. He ran up the stairs and out the back door, standing in the door way. "Jason? You know, everything is going to be okay. I can keep her under observation until the baby gets here, if you'd like." He pressed his lips together, feeling frustrated and sad for the other man. It was information that was hard to digest, he knew that, and he couldn't help but feel a lot of it was his fault.

"And the baby won't have as strong of instincts as you, I wouldn't think," he said, leaning against the door way, "She's still half human." He patted his pocket for his cigarettes and pulled one out, lighting one and taking a drag.

Jason swallowed hard as he sank all the way down to the porch, spreading out on his stomach as he pressed tightly into the warm wood, trying to warm his chilled skin,even if he knew it was a emotional coldness that gripped him instead of a physical won. Swallowing hard as tried to get a grip, “…and vera? What happens to her, if we continue our relationship, after she has the child?It’d still be… a injection.”He said shuddering hard, looking like a man who’d been dealt a death blow but hadn’t had the sense to lay down and die just yet.

Chad shook his head and sat down on the porch beside the man, letting his feet hang off the edge of the deck-like porch. "So far, Vera has showed no signs of being infected," he said, shaking his head, "She's in perfect health. I don't see anything wrong with the two of you continuing your relationship, especially if you let me help you control your instincts. Besides, your the father of that baby, essentially. She'll need you."

Reaching over, he handed the man a napkin from his pocket. "Here," he said, "Your shredding your bottom lip."

He sat back and looked at the other man, giving him a reassuring smile.

Jason raised his head, looking at the other man.”That’s true…she…she seems okay.”She said frowning a little before nodding. Realizing that even if it had been for the best, the instincts that drove him to protect her, and the child she carried, would make it impossible to walk away. Much less his own feelings for her, which made the instincts a even more jumbled mess. Swallowing a little he smiled slightly, crawling to the edge of the porch to spit out the rest of the blood before starting to press a napkin to his mouth.

“you’re sounding amazingly confident that this will be okay.”he said his words slurred from him holding the napkin to his mouth, studying the man.

Chad smiled a little. "Sadly, you forget who invented the mutation infection," he said, standing up. He offered his hand to Jason. "If anyone knows the ins and outs of it, it's me, which is good. I'll be able to monitor the baby closely, and if we feel she's endangering Vera, we will perform a c-section. The baby is at a stage where if she was born early, she could still survive prematurely. Hopefully we won't have to do that, but it's a possibility."

Helping the man to his feet, he smiled. "I am confident," he said, "Everything will be okay... Now, go see your girl before she tried to get out of the bed to check on you. It took a lot of persuading to make her stay in bed."

“Well…that’s true. I guess that’s not something I should forget.”he said frowning a little as he took the other’s hand, letting him pull him up before looking at the house. “Well, that’s good. Even if its not ideal, it is a option…”he muttered looking concerned before laughing softly.”She’s always stubborn. Thanks chad.”he muttered heading downstairs, stepping into the guest room he looked a little pained, moving over to sit next to her, “Sorry…I…I shouldn’t have run away.”he muttered.

Vera frowned up at him, but shook her head. "You were scared," she said, biting her lip, "It's okay... It's just, I'm scared too." She looked up at him, her hand placed on her stomach as she felt the baby move around a little. She was determined to believe everything was okay, and that no matter what, she had him there for her.

"What's going to happen?" she asked him, "If we don't get back home soon, I'm going to need to call up to work." The thought frustrated her, because despite the fact that they had Chad, she still didn't understand that they were taken care of. That they didn't still need to work their asses off the support themselves. "And the baby's room isn't even close to finished."

Chad walked in and leaned against the door way. "I'll take care of any financial issues, and if it makes you feel better, we will be moving to Louisiana after the New Year, so you won't be in California long." He gave them a smile. "Should I send someone to finish the nursery?"

Vera looked over to Jason, raising her eyebrows. She was a little surprised at Chad's willingness to help.

Back
Top Bottom