Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Fickle Gods (DudeMeister and Malicious Lullaby only)

Long before the great bards and minstrels could tell tales of the heroic deeds of many a great and seemingly invincible heroes, the actions of mere mortals would have to inspire the legends. This is one such tale...

The morning sun crept over Mt. Pentilicus greeting the soon to be great city of Athens. To the Athenians it was just like any other day: Helios, the sun God rode his fiery chariot over the vault of the sky. To one unassuming stonemason named Alcaeus, it meant an early morning trip to the stone quarry to help bring in the marble, and a long day of hammering. The young man awoke and stretched, rubbing his eyes. He stood 5'10'', rather tall for a man of his era, and bore the stout physique of his demanding trade. His medium black hair was wavy , and his beard was scruffy. In a city that would later be famed for his poets, philosophers and intellectuals, he was the typical working man. Roughly hewn and with little care for the more esoteric part of life, he followed in his father's footsteps to become a mason, just like his father before him. It was likely that his sons (should he ever marry) would be stonemasons...or so he thought. Throwing on a simple black tunic over and tying a worn belt around his waist, he readied a cart driven by a mule and headed off to a quarry.

As he drove his rather stubborn beast out of the city and off on the dirt road he spotted a rather lavish convoy approaching the city. The type that nobles would travel in.

They left their home after her mother died recently. Because of her father’s work and noble status, it left them with quite a lot. She was the only child of Simeon Taren. Her mother died of a fever that turned into something far more infectious at the last minute, meaning there was no time for them to acquire the proper medication for her to heal her. So they left their home, left that part of their life behind but preserved her memory and vowing to lead a better life, a nobler life than before. They were journeying to Athens.

It felt like a long journey but her father and her two tutors and governess, also accompanying them on the ride to their new home, kept her busy. She practiced her reading, sewing, music, anything really to boast in talent about and was honestly quite tired. As her father announced them approaching into the soon to be great city of Athens, Sapphire looked out the carriage window, long black flowy hair blowing in the wind as the carriage moved. Her body pushed further out to see and a bright beautiful smile played onto her face. She could see the city not too far. “Father! Look! It’s Athens!” She cried out joyfully.

Sapphire was a young beautiful girl, of age and back in her hometown, she was the one many men wanted to offer their hand to for marriage. But then her mother died and they left. Now they were coming to this city. They had an estate here in Athens already that belonged to her father’s parents and was left in his after they died. First order of business would be to find her suitors and she would get to choose who she wanted but unfortunately and ultimately, her father had the final choice.

She had stunning blue eyes, hence why she was named Sapphire, like the blue jewel and a small nose, despite how many Greek women seemed to have the opposite. With long wavy jet black hair and olive skin, she had a slender frame and was dressed like a princess, clearly the daughter of a noble.
Unfortunately, the carriage wheel hit over a deep pot hole in the dirt road which because it went at a fast enough pace, it completely dislodged the carriage. The movement caused Sapphire to be thrown from the carriage. Thankfully, the fall wasn’t so bad but it was directly in the path of another, of an oncoming mule. She sprained her ankle in the process, having screamed when she was thrown out and she couldn’t move. “Father!” She screamed.

As Alcaeus' cart came closer and closer to the incoming procession, he saw a sight he'd never forget. A beautiful young woman peered out of the side of the carriage. She was utterly breathtaking, having long flowing ebony locks, a slender figure, and a pair of clear blue eyes. He was visibly astounded by her appearance. Had Eros' arrow pierce him?

His gawking was soon interrupted when the carriage bucked, it's wheel caught in a large hole in the road. He saw the woman fall out of and soon scream for help. He quickly stopped his mule and jumped out of his cart to help her. He rushed over to her and gently picked her up in his arms, moving her off to the side of the road so that she wouldn't be in the way of incoming traffic.

"M'lady, are you ok?" he asked, gently letting her down on the soft grass

"Are you hurt?" he continued

(I'd be happy to play her father if you'd like)

[Sure, if you like]

In a flash, Sapphire was hoisted up, picked up and taken off the road by someone. Only when she was set down on the grass did she look up at her hero and she seemed as if in a daze, her blue eyes glued to his eyes before his words registered in her head. She shook her head and then cleared her throat. “I am now, thank you.” She looked up at him again though, as if in wonder. “You saved me. Thank you.”

She tried to move a little bit when she winced and a small whimper came from her. That was when she really learned just how sprained her right ankle was. It was already swelling up pretty badly and she sighed softly. “My ankle, I think it’s sprained a little bit.” Well that was just perfect. Now she wasn’t in tip-top condition to actually be showed off for potential male suitors. Not that she was as focused on it as her father was she knew her place. She knew her duty.

Briefly taking the opportunity to admire her beauty up close, he almost found himself lost in her sapphire eyes as he heard her thank him.

"It's not a problem..." he said, before hearing her whimper upon her attempt to move. He found himself unconsciously holding his hand out to stabilize her movement, as if she was a fine and fragile marble sculpture. He retracted his hand and gave her a nervous smile before gently moving down to inspect her right ankle.

"If you'd escuse me" he said as politely as he could before inching her finely tailored dress just enough to inspect her ankle. It was beginning to swell already.

"Well...it's obviously sprained. I'll see if there's anything I can do to help. I'm no doctor, but I think I have some wood and cloth to splint your ankle up" he said, slowly getting up to retrieve a few things from his cart

His best intentions would go unnoticed and unrewarded however, for as he walked to his cart a few attendants rushed to her aid, as her furious father walked over to what he presumed to be an oaf. Simeon Taren was the short and stocky (and indeed balding) father of Sapphire. Although he lead a privileged life, he developed a boisterous and cantankerous personality. The fact that his wife recently died, his daughter was still unmarried, and that his daughter almost gotten ran over didn't help.

"You foolish oaf!!! Do you realize that you almost ran over my daughter?!?!" he yelled at Alcaeus, who was dumbfounded as he broke a flat plank of wood for a splint support, and was in the process of ripping up his own cloak to tie it up.

"I'm sorry sir, but in my defense I was a little bit further down the road, and I did stop to move your daughter off of it. I'm doing the best I can" he said, walking over to her as her attendants seemingly swarmed over her.

"Don't you dare go near her!!!" Simeon yelled, but his exclamations fell on deaf ears as Alcaeus gestured to the attendants to part, which they did

"Try to hold still m'lady" he said, lining up the wood to the side of her ankle and slowly began to tie it with the strips of cloth. Being a stonemason injuries were rather usual. Either someone hurts their shoulder, hammers their own finger, or takes a stumble, and it falls on someone to help bandage it up. It has happened to him, and he treated other people who injured themselves. As he finished tying the wood to her ankle he smiled softly and held out both hands to help her up

"Ok...take it easy" he said

As his gaze bore into hers, her own gaze bore into his and she found herself even a bit transfixed by him. He was handsome, sweet and not like the men she met, or was forced to meet. The problem with all the well of suitors her father pawned on her was they were very boisterous in their wealth and status, seeming to be overflowing with pride even and she was immediately turned off by it. But this man who had helped her and saved her, he was so kind. It was a nice contrast. A very nice and welcome contrast.

She bit down on her lower lip a little bit as he lifted the hem of her dress up a bit. He didn’t raise it any further than just over her sprained ankle and she knew then he wouldn’t harm her even though that was made clear considering he did just help her out of the road. But any doubts she might have had were easily and quickly squashed.
“Thank you.” She spoke so softly as he stood to get whatever was needed to make the splint.

Then she heard her father and she sighed softly, opening her mouth to try and get a word out but the man who saved her and was currently in the process of helping her, spoke back to her father in such a calm and well mannered way, he’d give those rich suitors a run for their money. What a gentleman.
Her attendants/tutors swarmed her, pampering her, fluffing her hair, constantly asking if she was okay. Sapphire brushed them off as she was far more interested in the man helping her rather than her swollen ankle. She had such a disinterest, she didn’t even feel the pain anymore even though it was most clearly there. Perhaps she was going delusional from the pain. That would certainly be how her father might see it too even.

He came back near her and as he attended to her ankle, Sapphire hardly made any faces of pain. No, her blue eyes were on him, watching him, admiring him even. She had a faint trace of a smile on her face and then just like that, he was done. Just like that, it was done and Sapphire took his hands to stand up. A small whimper came from her but no one helped her. She was determined to get up with just his help. Once she was standing, one hand left his and she smoothed her dress down, putting her weight on her uninjured foot. She still held one of his hands as she looked up at him and smiled softly. “Thank you. I am in your debt for this.” She said softly.

Glancing at his transportation and the direction it was going, away from the city, a small frown came over her face. “Were you leaving the city?”

Not paying attention to any of the attendants, he gently brought her up and helped support her weight as she hopped over to the carriage. It was in these instances that he had the opportunity to admire her up close. He soft black hair grazed against his arm, her blue eyes were mesmerizing, and her body was graceful and elegant. He had seen sculptures crafted by the greatest masters of the day that couldn't hold a candle to her. As he was sort of lost in her, he barely seemed to pay attention to her as she thanked asked him were he was going.

"It's not a problem m'lady...I'm glad I can help" he said, helping her into the carriage, not paying attention Simeon throwing a fit

"Well, I was leaving the city to bring back marble from the quarry to bring back to the workshop. I'm a stonemason you see..." he said, feeling self-conscious about revealing his workman's trade to a nobleman's daughter

Sitting down in the carriage, she leaned over to still be in a bit of close distance with him, enough that she still had her hand in his. She didn’t want to let go. And even as he spoke of his profession, she didn’t even flinch or blink an eyelash. As if she didn’t care, because she didn’t. Why would it matter otherwise?
“So then…you’ll be coming back?” She asked with a soft smile.

With her free hand, she untied a little satchel bag that was tied around a loop in her dress and she handed it to him. It wasn’t money. Just…a memento, a token of her appreciation and something for him so he wouldn’t forget her. Maybe give him want to seek her out, regardless of what her father might and most definitely would say.
“Will I see you again? I don’t even know your name.” She whispered.

He smiled and nodded.

"Well, yes I will be coming back" he said, before accepting the small bag that she gave to him. He didn't know what it was, but accepted it graciously. She than asked him if she'd see him again, and asked for his name.

"My name is Alcaeus...but that name probably means nothing to a noble's daughter. As for wether or not you'll see me again, that depends. I work in the stonemason's workshop. It's not too far from the temple of Athena, it won't be to hard to find if you'd care to look for it" he said

"If you'd excuse this lowly worker's question, might I ask your for your name?" he asked her

She’d been so captured by him it seemed she didn’t even seem to notice or question his low rank and status or the fact she was a nobleman’s daughter and this Alcaeus wasn’t nobility at all. Yet he was more noble than any actual noble by title and status she had ever met. And that was the kind of nobility that mattered to her. It wasn’t the kind of nobility that mattered to the majority. Sapphire wasn’t of the majority. She wanted to love. Not be with someone for convenience. Her father on the other hand definitely wouldn’t see it that way and what could she do? She was just a woman after all. Nothing but a pretty face that possessed numerous talents.

So when he acted as though he was dismissing his own name to her, that knowing it would mean nothing to her, Sapphire didn’t say anything. But she wished she wasn’t the daughter of a nobleman.
“I think I can manage.” She said softly. “My mother used to say that if the hearts truly wants something, the heart will get what it wants.” She offered a kind smile before she heard her snappy father. “I must go. But keep this.” She slid her hand out of his now to touch the little baggie she gave him. “Think of me.” She whispered.

Scooting back into the carriage, the door was shut as the rest of the inhabitants got in. She didn’t get to answer his final question as the carriage began to pull away. Sapphire looked at her father who was seething but thankful his precious daughter was alright. Her tutors and attendants began to chatter with her but in a haste reaction and decision, she pushed herself out the window again, like she had been earlier which led her to her sprained ankle. She turned back towards him and waved. “Sapphire!” She called out, a smile on her face as she watched him, as he became smaller and smaller the further away the carriage pulled. But Sapphire didn’t once look away until she couldn’t see him anymore. Only then did she let her father pull her back in, scold her. But she remained all smiles.

Before he could get her name, he heard the angry man who yelled at him snap at his daughter as he stepped into the carriage. Before he knew it she got back into the carriage and was soon riding away. Well...that was that...it wasn't as if he really expected to get her name anyway. He was just a man who swung a hammer around all day. She would be destined to be married off to a far richer man than he could ever be. As she rode off into the distance he smiled softly at her and waved goodbye...

"Sapphire!!!" he heard in the distance. So that was her name. Content and happy that he at least got that, he looked down to the small purse that she gave him. What was in it? He slowly loosened the drawstring of the bag and poured it's contents into the palm of his hand

"What do you think you're doing talking to a lowly peasant!!! It's very unbecoming of a young noblewoman to even consider conversing with such a dolt! And what did you hand that idiot anyway?" Simeon spat at his daughter, his face reddened with rage

Sapphire looked to her father and she shrugged. “Just because he’s a peasant, is not human as well? I am simply doing what I learned in my studies, Father. Each human is to treat each other as cordially and kindly as possible.” She was biting back a bit of a smirk, considering he’d probably throw himself into an early coronary because the methods of teaching were teaching her to be kind to lower statuses.

“I gave him a little token of my appreciation of his help. A little something for him to get an extra helping of food tonight for his kindness.” That’s what she told her father and perhaps, it was technically true considering what was in that pouch was a sapphire jewel. He could trade that in for money or he could keep it. Whatever he wanted. Either way, it was a memento. Neither a pay out but just her kind way of saying thank you. Because it if hadn’t been for him she’d probably be road kill by his own doing. So really, he did a lot more than just save her. He saved himself from the wrath of her father. That was an impressive feat altogether.

At this point Simeon was too miffed to rationally reason with his smart-ass daughter. He sat at the other side of the carriage, fuming with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

Alcaeus eventually did get the stone back to his workshop and began hammering away. Despite being one of the newer workmen in the shop, the other masons respected him. He was early to start, late to finish. After a whole day he was still hammering away at a piece of marble, crafting it into a drum section for a column. It was menial labor, but it kept a roof over his head. While the other masons bid him goodnight he remained working in candlelight. Wiping his brow with sweat in exhaustion he paused a bit to take the sapphire out of the small bag the woman gave him. He marveled at it. It wasn't because that the diamond was clear and finely cut...but rather that it came from her. He than played through the whole event that occurred earlier and smiled. After few more hours of working he finally sat at a desk and leaned over to fall asleep, knowing he had more work to do in the shop the next morning.

She rest her head against the window panel. The window in the carriage had a cloth hanging over it, a valence of a sort and she could feel the breeze bloom over her face. Her ankle throbbed but she didn’t feel it at all. She wore a dreamy smile on her face. Only when they were at their home in Athens and inside, their servants were getting to work in bringing the place back to life and furnishing it. Or rather, uncovering their furnishings of their tarps. Sapphire was helped to her bedroom and she sat down on the bed, at the foot of it. That was when her father barged in, accusing her of accosting with a peasant and the entire time, she was just staring outside of the window.

She wasn’t listening. No, her heart was thumping. She wanted to see this man. Somehow.
That was when an idea came to her.
“Father, I would like to make it up to you. I want to have a ball. Invite all of Athens. All the eligible suitors. All of Athens. Peasants included.”
He started to talk back, as if he knew why and she just smiled.
“I’ll be so busy with suitors wanting to talk to me, you’ll always know where I am.” She said softly. “So see? This can’t be any secret agenda if that is what you think. I only wish to get married to the best man possible, have my life and have children running around me.” She smiled ever so sweetly and he seemed to buy it. He went off to make the preparations. She really hoped he’d come.

The previous day's labor took it's toll on Alcaeus, and he slept all night in the stonemason's workshop. He woke up early the next morning with a yawn and got up, stretching his aching muscles that were fatigued from many a hard day of breaking and carving stone. Although he was the youngest in the workshop, he was highly respected since his father worked at this very guild before him, as well as his work ethic. He was an unassuming, unpretentious youth who was early to start, and late to finish. Like his father, he believed in making his way on his own steam. Dropping down to the floor to do some pushups, he soon felt himself awake and soon began his day of work.

A few hours later a few of the workman came in and saw the pouch of sapphires that Sapphire gave him the day before

"Ho Alcaeus! Where did you get these? Since when can a stonemason afford something like this?" he asked picking up and dangling the pouch.

"Hey Diokles...put those down!!!" Alcaeus said, dropping his tools and running over to the desk, snatching the pouch and cradling it in his hands.

"Whoa sorry. What are you going to do with those. Are you trying to impress a woman or something?!?" he asked, nudging him. Alcaeus blushed, and stuffed the pouch in his tunic.

"Well no...I helped a woman on the road the other day and she gave me these." he said

"Wow...she must have been a noblewoman to afford all of that. Do you know what house she come from?" Diokles asked, walking to his desk and hanging his cloak on his chair

"Well know...I only know her first name, Sapphire...I don't know what house she comes from. I think she just arrived here yesterday." he said, walking over to finish up his work

"Well that's interesting, because a nobleman named Simeon Taren just arrived yesterday. He's also throwing a ball at the end of this week. All available suitors are invited..." he said

"Wait what do you mean?" Alcaeus asked, walking over to him

"Well...it would seem that he wants to marry his daughter off...so he's throwing this thing to get her a proper mate...hell even peasants are invited. I'd go there myself if I wasn't married..." he said with a slight scowl

"So you think that this girl Sapphire could be his daughter?" he asked, looking at him

"Maybe, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. If he's allowing even peasants to attend this little shin-dig, than I'd imagine that his daughter is rather ugly. Don't bother with it kid" he said, picking up his own hammer and getting to work.

Could it be that Sapphire was Simeon Taren's daughter? If that bald headed man was than he'd imagine that his chances of being allowed to court her were slim at best, right girl or not. There was also the question of class difference. She was a properly groomed nobleman's daughter, and he was a mason. He pretty much turned big rocks into smaller rocks. Thousands of years later he would be considered a blue collar worker, hardly one to become the son-in-law of a nobleman. But still,it couldn't hurt to go anyway. If she was there, he'd be able to see her again, and maybe thank her for the precious jewels she gave him.

That next day, all day it was all about preparing for the large ball that was to be had. Any man who were fit into the certain age group was allowed to attend. Simeon Taren was quite in a hurry to marry his daughter off. He figured that women reached a certain point in their youth when they were perfect and ripe to marry. That was when he got his lovely wife who was no longer with him. When they were both in the prime of their youth. That’s how he viewed it for Sapphire. He was going all out, especially wanting to do this for her and also show all of Athens that arrived that he would go to far lengths for his daughter. He wanted the best for her but the best only meant as far as money was concerned.

Sapphire was confined to her rooms, her father figuring she’d be in less trouble if she were to stay put. But that also had its perks because it meant she wouldn’t have been expected to sneak out. Yes, she was a very headstrong young woman and if she had the chance to, she’d sneak out. After her maidens helped her get read that morning, she pulled on a hooded cloak and climbed out of her window. It was easy since it wasn’t a far drop. Just a little gap and she was careful about her ankle. A giggle came from her as she was out of her house and looked to her maidens who all gave her a look that she best be careful. The smiling girl yanked her hood closer over her face but her blue eyes could still be seen.

She asked around town where to go if someone had brought in a lot of marble slabs. They all pointed to the same place. And that was where she went. Walking in, she carefully pulled her hood down and smiled. It was clear that she was the daughter of a high status nobleman. Even if she was a woman, the other men at least didn’t look at her mockingly. They knew she had money. “I’m looking for Alcaeus. I was told he works here.” She said softly.

It was just another busy day in the stonemason's workshop, just like any other. They were recently contracted to build an extension on the temple of Athena, and were also charged with renovation, so the entire shop was hard at work, the sound of hammers and chisels echoing throughout the halls. That was until she came. Seeing her walk in they all knew by her dress and how she carried herself that she was a nobleman's daughter. They never expected someone like her to just come into their shop directly like that. They never saw something so...beautiful. The sounds died down as they all turned their eyes to her in admiration, wondering what the hell she was doing there. When she asked for Alcaeus they all cursed their luck. Of all the men there she asks for the new guy!

The head of the workshop himself got up from his desk and greeted her

"Good afternoon m'lady, my name is Damainos, and I'm the head of this workshop. Alcaeus is gone for the day. Might I ask why you are calling on him? Were you referred her by him to contract us by any chance?" he asked with a friendly smile. He knew that she had money, and hoped that she had some extra to spend.

She wasn’t even shy. She was confident. Although when all eyes did go on her, her cheeks flushed a little bit. It’s not even like that was the first time. It did happen often and every time it did, she got a little shy. Sapphire didn’t think she was something so special that men should have their jaws drop. Oh no, not at all. She did things outside of the box after all.

Nodding her head with a soft smile on her face to this Damainos, her smile faded as he said that Alcaeus went home. She frowned a little bit and then shook her head. “Not today. I just wanted to see him. He saved my life the other day. And I wanted to thank him again.” And invite him and make sure he came tonight but she’d just have to go back home and hope that he came tonight.

“Unless…you know where I can find him?”

Damainos' disappointed frown was apparent when she explained to him that she was only looking for Alcaeus. I guess there wouldn't be another contract after all. At this point she was nothing but a distraction to him and his workers, and the sooner he got her out the better. Of course he kept his judgmental thinking under the facade of a smile as she asked him if he knew were to find him.

"Sure m'lady. He lives on the west side of the city." he said, scrawling his address on a piece of paper and handing it to her

"I wish you all the best, now good day" he said, bowing and turning around to continue his work

At this point Alcaeus just arrived home, and laid down in his bed to rest from a hard day's work.

And to be quite honest, Sapphire didn’t want to be there any longer than she had to. Not that she didn’t mind. No, but she didn’t want to keep them from their work. She would be no one’s burden. Just a pop in and get out of there quickly so she could make sure that at least there was one face she was more looking forward to seeing tonight. “Thank you. I very much appreciate this.” She bowed a little bit and then hurried off after gaining the address. She was able to hitch a ride on a cart that was heading in that direction which would get her there a lot faster than walking.

By the time she arrived and she gave some tokens of her appreciation to the man who got her there, she sought out Alcaeus’ home and when she found it, based on the address, she knocked on the door hastily. Her heart seemed to beat faster just in anticipation.

The knock on his door startled him awake. He groaned and sat up, running his fingers through his shaggy hair as he blinked sleep from his eyes. Yawning he got up and stretched briefly. Who could it be at this time? He wasn't expecting anyone, and he payed for his room this month. He walked towards the door and opened. If he was partially asleep before, he certainly was awake now, his eyes wide in surprise as Sapphire stood before him.

"M'lady! I am surprised to see you again. How may I be of service?" he asked, giving his most polite bow

When the door opened, she smiled to see him, a big and bright smile on her face. She bowed as well and bit her lip, trying to qualm her nerves and her excitement. “I came to invite you. My father is having a party in my honor. Anyone who is of the right age and male is to come. Any.” She said softly, referring to whether they were a worker like him or rich like the snooty ones she always got stuck with meeting. “I hope to see you. It’s tonight if you’re not doing anything or if I haven’t disturbed you. I really want you to come.”

He scratched the back of his head, pondering wether or not he should go. He would be interested in showing up and getting to know her better, but that could mean competing with every bachelor in Athens just to talk to her. There was also the fact that her father probably had the final word in it all.

"Please come in" he said, stepping aside to let her in

"I would like to come, but I'm not sure what good that will do...I'm only a stonemason" he said, closing the door after her

Watching him, Sapphire worried he wouldn’t come. She knew it was probably a stupid effort. After all, her father did have the final say since he wouldn’t pay her dowry to just anyone. They had to be deserving of it because it meant a life of riches and luxury. But she wanted Alcaeus to come. It was the first time she wanted to see a man and not worry about being repulsed by him. Just being near him, she’d give anything up if she could, if she was allowed.

Nodding her head, Sapphire walked inside and she looked around his home before her gaze fell back on him. “But…” She looked down and nodded her head slowly. “I understand if you don’t wish to come or if you feel you shouldn’t. I want you there. You’re the only man that I want there and if I had my own way, it’d just be an intimate gathering among myself and you.” She said softly.

“If you decide to come, I’ll wait. And know that I want you there. After all, it’s my party. That should count for everything.”

Alcaeus pulled out a stool for her as she came in, before sitting in one himself. Although part of him felt that it was pointless to try to court her, he found himself more intrigued by her as she spoke. She especially sought him out...she must have seen something in him.

"Well...I appreciate that you went through all the trouble to see me. I'm glad that you are here. I suppose that I will come tonight. You gave me a wonderful gift after all" he said, pulling out the small bag of sapphires and dangling it for her to see.

Back
Top Bottom