Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Nanowrimo and the best advice I ever heard

Squishypink

Supernova
Nanowrimo is upon us! It is time for everyone to conjure up a half-assed novel idea!

I do plan to write this month at a breakneck pace, but I don't expect to have a real finished work by the end of it. What I expect to have is a skeleton with a bit of meat on the bones that I can go back later and finish fleshing out. That actually brings me to that great advice I was talking about. I forget the name of the writer I was talking to, but he did a whole bunch of Star Wars books and I met him at a Con a couple years ago. He said something along these lines:

Writing is like making popcorn. You can put oil in the pan, heat it up, throw one kernel in, wait for it to get hot, remove it right after it's popped, put just the right amount of salt on it, and then throw it into the bowl. Or, you could throw a thousand kernels down and, though you won't have them all popped and perfectly seasoned, you'll have enough popcorn to work with.

That totally applies to words and chapters and such too. So my plan for November is to take this book I've been working on (I'm about a third of the way finished with it) and slap it all down onto the page. Even though it won't be perfect, or even necessarily "good," it will no longer just be something that's in my head. As far as I am concerned, that is the big divide between being one of those people who always says they're going to write a novel, and actually being a writer.

The advice itself wasn't about Nanowrimo, it was totally unrelated but I thought it was a good thing to share.

Back
Top Bottom