Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Clockwork Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alenaeon

Star
John stood outside of the airship, looking over the people he managed to find among the ruins and bring back to his ship. He had seen a few others but they didn't seem likely to follow. His scowl deepened as he motioned for the crew to get on before the golems managed to find them, meaning they would all probably die.

The airship looks like a semi-organized pile of junk, with a few bedsheets sewn together and blown up poorly. A soft hissing noise constantly escapes from the makeshift balloon and the landing board appears to be badly nailed together pieces of wood. Two rusted blades spin in the back of the ship idly.

The inside of the ship isn't much better as there are only two rooms, the sleeping quarters have a few tattered blankets thrown down to reduce the pain of sleeping on the rusty and occasionally sharp metal. The boiler room contains a heavily rusted engine, the coal door permanently rusted open letting out the fire, heating up the room. Three gears are attached to the engine and spin, turning the blades outside with tubing coming off of the top part going to the balloon.

"Built it yourself I see sir," Bracken says as he steps onto the run down ship. His bag is heavy and bursting at the seams with rolled up maps and his map working instruments. Taking a good look around the ship, Bracken is quick to claim a corner of the sleeping quarters and sets up the maps of the immediate area and gets to work on his hired job. Looking for supplies for the ship was the most immediate need so the ship wasn't going to be getting any closer to just falling apart in the sky. Lots of small X's dot the map along with several circles. After finding a few good spots to start looking Bracken gets up and goes to talk to John.

"I am ready to navigate whenever your ready to leave, sir," John informs the man then goes to stand next to the flight controls.

Thea eyed the mixed match lot of people with a disdainful frown. Hopefully a few of them had a few skills to help get that bucket of gears of the ground. Her eyes wandered to the 'ship' and she tried very hard not to groan. She had literally traveled through dimensions to get here in search of an adventure, this had not been what she was expecting. A certain god had a peculiar sense of humor. Finally her eyes landed on the supposed captain of the wreck before her. Throwing her one leather satchel of scavenged belongings over her shoulder she trudged onto the deck, eyeing the warped floor and rusting metal speculatively.

Once on board she tossed her bag on the floor of the sleeping quarters as near the door as she could get. Wandering back to the deck she watched the rest of the assembled crew board the ship, leaning on a rail to the left of the boardwalk. Her expression was one of vague disinterest. Eventually she started using magic to make little dancing figures on the rail that she spun idly with her finger. "When are we getting out of here?" She called to the captain.

Theo stood in the boiler room, wrench in hand. He milled about, tightening loose screws and making sure the pressure in the pipes was just right. Should one of the pipes burst with an unfortunate soul beneath it......well needless to say they wouldn't be very pretty afterwards. This was his domain. His kingdom. He ruled this place and kept the ship flying. Theo seldom left the ship unless instructed by Captain John. He owed the man his life and would be loyal to the very end. Theo looked at a steam gauge and nodded in approval. She was ready to fly. Theo climbed out of the boiler room. His hair was a bit of a mess and his goggles were on his forehead. He approached and nodded to the crew. "Captain John, she's ready to fly on your command" he said with a chuckle.

Theo looked to the crew and felt slightly awkward. His appearance was rather ragged. His sleeves were rolled up and the shirt beneath his vest was a light brown hue. He felt as though he needed a shower but alas, he had not had time to clean himself up. He smiled sheepishly at the occasional person that made eye contact with him. He had to chuckle at the thought. He was a wolf and here he was smiling sheepishly.

"Hi, I'm Marcus" Marcus said, four times, casually waving at Theo, Thea, Bracken and the mysterious John Doe.
He sat his possessions and belongings, including a blanket he had brought with him lay into what was now his corner. He began to play some tunes on his axe as he waited for instructions, looking wistfully out through the window as he did so.

Merida was already on board on the ship in a diffrent room, making new and improved weapons. Her most favortie weapons to make were wrist guns but she can make any weapons anyone requests. When she was done with her latest one, a pistol-like gun but fatter than the average pistols. http://www.jeremyclough.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/steam1.jpg Satisfied with her work, she got up with the pistol in her hand and head out to open a window to test how good this fires out.

When she got to one of the windows, she opened it and looked left and right up and down to make sure no ships were heading this way. When there was none, she cocked and loaded her new gun with one bullet, aimed it out in the open air and fired. The explosion sounded big but the bullet didn't go far, about 14 miles. Merida smiled at her accomplishment of the gun, she never had any doubts about her inventions. Looking down at her new pistol, still smiling, she closed the window and walked away to find any of the others who would like to try her new weapon out.

Marcus stopped playing as he heard the shot and saw Merida carrying one of her custom pistols. He glanced down at his plain looking revolver, wrapped inside a holster strewn amongst his other belongings, with mild envy. He hadn't actually met her yet, having only heard of her from the other crew, and he was admittedly intrigued by her ability to create.
"Hi" he waved, not getting up.
"You're Merida right? The princess lady or whatever? I'm Marcus."

Merida stopped and rolled her eyes in annoyance before facing Marcus. She hadn't really met anyone on the ship because she can get so into making weapons and things. She turned around to see the young man seated but not only she was looking at him but his gun wrapped inside a holster strewn.

"I am Merida, just Merida. I've always had the aristocracy title people often gave me." She spoke to him looking at him then back at his pistol then her's. She extended her hand, holding the gun. "Would you like to try it out? Maybe I'll let you have it."

Marcus placed his axe on the floor and stood up.
"I guess I could have a look, but gunplay isn't really my strong point" he said as he walked over to her.
He figured he may as well get to know her while they were talking about guns.
"What made you choose this life instead of being a princess or whatever?" he said, outstretching his hand.

Merida carefully placed the gun in his hand after she loaded it with a few bullets inside and crossed her arms. "I wanted to design and create weapons of my own, I'll even repair broken ones, make them out of old scraps, or take anyone's already made weapon and turn them into something new and improved. When your an aristoract, you can't do those things."

Marcus listened to her explanation, before letting off a few shots into the distance.
"Nice" he said.
"It's good that you're following your dreams you know? Not letting society or any of that garbage dictate your life. It's sorta the same that I did with my music" he said, looking at the pistol in more detail.
"You sure I can keep this?"

John took the controls from Bracken, moving a few levers, and adjusting the switches causing the ship to kick on and start rising. Steam pouring out of the makeshift balloon at a heavier rate. He looks over at the woman with a magical gun, his scowl as deep as it could reach. "Now, are you just stupid or suicidal?" He asked in his very blunt manner.

The golems started to surround the ship, preparing to swarm it and dismantle it and it's crew for useful parts, quite a few of them brought by the noise of the handsniper. Their inner workings protect by heavy metal plating but they seemed to have vaguely humanoid forms, moving in a very mechanical manner. Slow, but stead and almost impervious to human weaponry at the time.

Merida flushed, happy that he liked her new pistol she had just made not too long ago. She smiled brightly at him and nodded agreeing to not letting society or anything take over her life span but let her and her alone decide what she wanted to do in life. "Yes, you can keep the pistol. If you want I can modify your other weapons."

Thea jumped away from the edge of the ship swearing. "What the hell?!" She shot a glare towards the other woman as golems started pressing close to the sides of the piece of garbage ship. "Get this thing off the ground!" She shouted towards the captain. Forming what looked like a long bladed pole out of shadow she started trying to stab at the mechanical monsters, using her power to try and shear through their metal skins. The immense amount of power required to even make a dent in them rapidly drained her of power as she dashed around her side of the ship using the blade like a crowbar and prying the golems off.

Theo leaped into action, jumping down into the engine room. The engine growled and spewed super heated steam. The pipes groaned and ached as he ran from one place to another, tightening bolts. While the engine was his baby, she needed to improve. If they could find some metal that wasn't rusted to the core, he could do a bit more. Alas he had to make do right now. He grunted as he watched the pressure maintain a steady pace as the ship began to take off. He watched the engine, making sure it was in as good of condition as it could be. He really needed some pipes. Actually what would bee even better was if he could set up a forge. If they had the forge he could just melt down the scrap and make a pipe. Not to mention other tools that would be useful. He'd have to talk to the captain about that one. He ran over to the pipe he used to speak to the captain and shouted. "Engine is holding steady Captain!" he said as he went back, monitoring his station.

Marcus immediately bolted when the Golems attacked the ship, rushing over to his axe and putting the strap around his shoulders. He took a deep breath to get his mojo on, before two Golems saw him and moved towards him. He suddenly starting playing Machine Music, sonic waves of Funk Metal Magic blasting from his Guitar, channeled through the power of music and magic combined, knocking the two Golems onto their asses. But he was playing quite hard and it was hard to keep playing like this. He drew the gun Merida gave him.
"Merida! Am I to understand that this gun is magic?!"

Merida smiled at him as three golems came to her, she placed her wrist gun and began to fire once. It sent three bullets out, one of each golem. She nodded over at Marcus still smiling. "Yes. It's magic Marcus. What? You wanted a plain one?" She scoffed playing as she shot more golems, the single bullet shot mulitplying itself for each golem coming at her and whoever.

"Oh, well it's just that a tiny part of me thinks that the Golems might be after, you know, the MAGIC you put in the MAGIC gun" he said flippantly.
"You want me to throw it out Captain? Because I WILL throw it out!" he shouted.

John focused on getting the airship off the ground, and it was steadily doing that although his eyes flicked over to Merida and Marcus. "Right now, I'm focusing on us living. Anything else comes second, we have to be careful before these golems get to the ship, pull up the boarding plank!" The golems were just around the ship, akin to slow moving, seemingly invulnerable zombies not quite to it yet but they were steady in their movements, ignoring almost every blow to them. Their metal had a few dents or scratches after repeated attacks but nothing left an impeding wound.

The ship groaned as more and more steam was pumped out, trying to lift the ship up faster. They got off the ground and above the golems reach just before the first golem reached them and managed to get it's claws into the ship. John let out a sigh of relief as he looked over the people assembled on the ship. "Now that we are safe. Weapons aren't gonna work against the damn thing, so don't be firing off any! It'll draw them and whatever the hell else is out there. Right now, we have to find some salvageable materials."

"I'm sorry Captain, I was only looking." Bracken says as he is pushed away and watches John get the ship into the air. He also watches as everyone, in vain, fight away the far off golems. The music was a good idea if they were closer, the sound waves able to push them away.

After the ship gets off the ground and John gives his advice, Bracken steps forward again and tells him. "I think I have a few starting places for good salvage if you don't already have anywhere in place Captain." Bracken pulls out his map from earlier, but leaves it rolled up incase he need to just put it back away.

Thea slumped against the rail as they lifted off the ground and the golems fell away below them. She had used up a fair bit of energy trying to keep them at bay which seemed relatively futile. She felt incredibly dizzy and leaned her head against the bent railing in an attempt to catch her breath. She could hear Bracken discussing locations with the Captain and hoped to whatever god was listening that they didn't have another run in like that. It would take at least a day for her to safely use her magic again. The god in the Shadow realm had not warned her about the limitations of having a human body before dumping here, she had a few choice words for him assuming they all survived here.

Finally starting to feel a little less woozy she straightened up and wandered over to Bracken. "Where did you have in mind?" She asked pressing a hand to her temple as the usual pounding headache started.

"Oh, well." Bracken lies out the map in his hand on the ground, then reaches around and pulls out a small bottle of aspirin. "Here, your going to need this more then I am." Bracken then flattens out the map and reveal the several circles he made before. "The most promising spot is here at an old abandoned mountain town. I went through there about 4 months ago and the place was full of supplies. It could of course been looted since, but I think its worth the time to get there." He points towards the circle near the edge of the closest mountain range, only about 90 miles away.

Marcus stretched his aching hands as he looked at Bracken's directions on the map. He hadn't been to the town or heard of it.
"Sounds like a plan" he said, walking back to his things in the corner of the room without another word.
He looked at the gun Merida had given him, before shoving it into his bag.

(Sorry about the delayed post.)

John walked over and looked at the map. "Right, well that assumes the golems haven't gotten to it. Still, lead the way just try to not crash the ship. I'll go check on the rest of it and make sure everything is in working order." He had just taken control because it was an emergency situation that required his direct interference, he would trust the pilot to be a better pilot then himself.

Theo listened as he heard a slight sputter in the engine. "Ah ah ah, don't you start this on me" he said. He grabbed his wrench and banged on the engine. He listened as the sputter continued. One final hit and the engine finished it's sputtering. "Atta girl" he said with a sigh. Theo set the wrench down and sighed as he rubbed his neck. He took a seat on his bunk and took out his journal. He didn't write about today's events regarding his own feelings. It was more to record the engine and it's progress. He sighed as he set the journal down. The engine was in very rough shape. By no means was it in shambles, but it could most definitely use some work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom