Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The cat and mouse (rebelliousxjugger)

Rebelliouslady~99

Planetoid
Lucia was hidden in a bush dagger in hand. Her clothes were torn ragged with age as if she had took it from the garbage. Which was technically true. Then she heard it her ear cocking towards the noise her eyes following it. A convoy, a peddlers trade route she asumed. She saw the guards frowning. If she could get past them she had a chance.

Nathan was a simple caravan guard. He was lightly armored in brown leather underneath his blue clothing and had a sword sheathed on his back. He walked alongside the oxen that pulled the caravan of goods from the previous city, and headed toward the next for their client to sell more merchandise. He was accompanied by two other guards and then the merchant. It was a descently guarded caravan that would be able to hold off things such as a wolf attack and maybe a random bandit or two. Nathan had no idea of who was in the nearby bushes as the caravan rolled by.

Lucia trailed them through the greenery hatching her plan as they went. It was almost nigbtfall. Kbowing any regular peddler might camp for the night she would wait till they settled. She was a scavanger. Stealing when she needed and killing only in defence. This is how she lived and it was her creed.

Nathan was in charge of protecting the merchandise with the merchant...Who had fallen asleep in his own glorious tent whilst Nathan had to sleep in the caravan full of goods, yet he managed to make enough room to roll out his sleeping bag for when he would slumber for the nightl. The other two guards went off into the woods to hunt for some food...leaving Nathan alone and being the only one awake and at camp.

With a slight rustle of leaves she creeps toward the wagon unaware of the sleeping guard. Reaching it she peeked over the rim at the foods nearly squealing in delight. "This could last me a year!" she silently gasped. She was practically drooling. She hadn't eaten in days. Carefully reaching in she grabbed some fur feeling it. She wanted to take it so bad. So soft, it could be made into new clothes for her when winter came.

Nathan stirred in his slumber. He had dozed off, but felt the tattered sleeve of Lucia's clothes brush against his body as she reached for the fur. He opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw...Was the fox girl. "What the...?" He murmured as he sat up and looked to her, rubbing his head. "The hell are you...?" He looked to see that she had grabbed the fur, and leered at her. "You best get out of here, fox girl...I wouldn't want to cut you down."

She looked at him frozen. How did she miss him? He was handsome she had to admit that but it scared her that he could kill her. She had no idea what to do. Feeling a bead of sweat slide down her face her breathing was heavy. Her heart pounding. Then, doing the only thing she could think she grabbed as much of the furs she could making a break for it.

"Fucking...!" He cried out as he hopped out of the caravan and took off after her. He rushed after her, sword drawn as he got closer and closer to her, inch by inch until finally he managed to tackle her into the ground. He rolled her onto her back and pointed the sword at the girl's neck. "I told you not to do anything stupid. Drop the fur and I'll release you. Resist and I'll kill you."

She stared dumbfounded yet again. No one had caught her before. Swallowing she could see the swords point gleaming in the moonlight. She didn't want to loose the furs nor her life she sighed. Letting the fur go she looked away from him ashamed with herself. Never had she felt so defeated before.

His kind heart...Well...He immediately fell bad for her when she brought out her look of shame. He rubbed the back of his head, and sheathed his sword. "Hey..." He murmured as he reached out, taking her hand and helping her to her feet. "What...ARE you? I've never seen a woman with cat ears...Some sort of sorcery? Or was your father or mother some feline?"

She didn't speak. She didn't want to speak. The man made her nervous. If she needed she could grab her dagger. But he had a sword, her tiny blade would break. Finally she spole,"I dont know." was all she could force. Her voice was soft with a poisonous edge to it.

"You don't know...?" He murmured as he heard her tone of voice. He looked at the tattered clothing she wore and frowned. It looked like a piece of trash was wrapped around her. That couldn't be her only set of clothing, could it? Nathan rubbed the back of his head as he looked at Lucia, and after a few moments of silence, he sighed. "Come with me...You want some food and a change of clothes? Follow me. But stay hidden, and stay silent." Turning, he headed back toward the caravan after picking up the stolen furs.

Following she held her arm as she walked through the shadows. It hurt, she must've hurt it when he tackled her. Why am I following him, she thought to hersrlf.

Nathan had pity for the girl. He would help her out...at least until they got to a town and maybe she could find a place to stay rather than just the woods. When they arrived to the camp, he saw that everyone was still gone and the merchant was still asleep. "Come on." He replied and hopped into the back of the caravan.

She didn't enter fearing the temptation. She stared, she couldn't help but admire him. He was good looking, had money, a place to rest, and probably a beautiful wife waiting for him at home. She couldn't help but hate him for the pampered life he may lead. But she hated herself most of all for getting caught.

"You gettin' in or what?" He whispered to her as he poked his head out of the wagon. "Come on and get in before the other two guards show up and see you. They won't be so lenient like I am." He reached his hand out for her to take so he could help her into the wagon. He had a small bit of coin on him. He'd pay the merchant for a few apples and a fur coat and whatever came of his salary for this job if he didn't have enough to pay for it all.

She hesitated, what is his plan? Climbing in cautiously she eyed him. She just couldnt get him. She looked down at herself. There was nothing special about heself so why be nice to her? These questions kept going through her head at lightning speed. She didnt think herself beautiful or nice. She knew her tone was a at the least rude. But she knew so little about men in what they like and hate.

He grabbed an apple and handed it to her, and pulled out a wolf pelt fur coat and wrapped it around her. "Can't believe I'm risking my share of coin for this..." He murmured as he pulled out another apple from the caravan's stash and placed it beside her. "Apples are the only thing I can spare without the merchant obviously seeing a small bit of his supply missing. He doesn't give a damn about the apples but his venison is another story since it fetches a higher price."

She had taken them numbly touching the fur around her. She felt a wave of heat wash over her as her face begun to flush. The shock of what he just did felt like he had just hit with a stick. She dropped the apple falling into him gripping his shirt. She felt broken. First her pride was hurt then he tried comforting her? Was he toying with her?

"W-What the hell...? Are you alright? Whats wrong? The apples weren't bad were they?" He said as he held her as she lay in him, gripping his shirt. He felt awkward as he held her like this. What happened? Why was she doing this? "Hey...Girl...Are you alright...? What happened...?" He didn't move her. He simply let her lay into his body for fear she was in pain and moving her would bring more pain.

She buried her face not wanting to show her tears but it was hard to keep out of her voice. "Y-you, you're whats wrong," she choked. "You've broke me and here you are trying to kindle me like a young fire. God I must be a fool." She heaved in her tears. She hated crying more than she did being caught. She felt it was unnatural, unneeded. It made her weak and hurt her heart.

He was dumbfounded with what she said. He was the reason why she was acting the way she was? He broke her and was rekindling her? "You're...Not a fool." He replied finally. "I'm simply helping out someone who is in need...I couldn't just let you starve out there. And with winter coming...you'd probably die with those rags you've got on...Look, cry as much as you need to alright...? Just try to cry into my shirt and keep it down...Don't give yourself away in case the merchant wakes up or if the guards come by."

She nodded. She closed her eyes and took a deep. She bathed in his scent. It was calming. Evening her breath she began to stop her crying. She looked up at him. Her eyes were puffy red and her dirty cheeks were stained with trails of tears. It occured to her that she must look a mess so she looks back down not knowing what to say.

Nathan smiled lightly and took his shirt to wipe her eyes and face lightly to clean her up. "You know...You don't look half bad...You're cute actually." He said playfully. "Come on...Just rest. Go crawl under my blanket and keep quiet...sleep. When we get into town, I'll be able to get you some more help alright? But one step at a time...What you need to do right now is try not to get caught as you travel with us."

She pulled away. Making her way to his bed she looked around at the camp. What if the others found her? No, she had to put it behind her. Crawling under the blanket she sighed. was he being or was he planning something. If he was she knew she would get to them first. She closed her eyes but she didnt sleep. Over the years she learned how to even her breath to make it seem like she was asleep.

Back
Top Bottom