Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Save a horse, ride a Cowboy (Charliesweb7 & pnw2013)

charliesweb7

Supernova
"I just can't believe how much you have changed. I didn't know you would go wild in college!" The man fumed, driving along the road in the middle of nowhere. "What happened to that girl in high school huh? Straight A's, AP classes, debate, swim captain, homecoming queen..." He replied, looking to her. "So I went out and partied. It is not like I was into drugs!" The younger girl replied. "Still, you sat there and where spending money left and right and you shouldn't have even been drinking!" He added, gripping the steering wheel tighter. "I was just having a little fun..." She replied. "Enough! We are done talking." He snapped at her.

Katherine Elise Covington sank a little more into the leather seats of the BMW that made its way into the countryside. This was her punishment. She had always been the good girl. Getting good grades, all the extracurriculars and not really severely disobeying her parents. She wasn't perfect as no one was. But she wasn't into drugs and drinking. She saw drinking as one night of fun....and then she could be suspended 90 days from the swim team. It was not worth it at all.

But in college, something changed. She decided to go out and party. And she was spending more money on clothes and such. Not like she couldn't afford it...or her parents couldn't afford it. They were loaded. But she was enjoying life! Her grades slipped into the B's before her parents found out. They threw a fit and luckily she was able to pull off a 90% or so in most of her classes in order to keep her scholarship. So her parents were sending her to spend the entire summer (from May until August) at a ranch, working. Maybe then she would learn a lesson. Katherine had been looking forward to going to the beach and traveling...but that was no more. She was going to work on the Beaufort farm. Mr. Beaufort was her father's childhood best friend.

The ranch came into view off the road, turning into a dirt road. It was massive with rolling green hills. In the distance was the house. Which seemed to take forever to get there. Katherine pushed up the sunglasses over her eyes to disguise herself. Once they got closer, she looked at the house. It was rather modest, not overly large. And there was a massive barn in the back. 2 of them actually. Once was smaller. She sighed as her father stopped the car and told her to get out.

Katherine sighed and got out. On her feet were cowboy boots. If you lived in Texas, you owned a pair. But hers were just some worn in pair. They were expensive ones, colored with rhinestones all along them in patterns. They were perfect, almost as if they had never been worn. She had on a pair of denim shorts that were frayed at the ends. It was a warm spring day, hence the need for shorts. They had some paint splatters on them but it looked like she bought them that way. Rips, tatters, splatters and all. Next was a multicolor burnout v-neck that was studded and rhinestoned along the neckline. Her outfit looked expensive and it was. All designer. That is what people judged you off of. And she wanted to fit in. Her body looked very nice in it. She had that typical hourglass frame. She was certainly blessed with her body. She had a body most women would be envious of. She was around 5' 6" or so, a rather nice height. She had been in sports all of her life so she was toned and lean, but not obviously muscular. She had strong, thick legs and a nice backside. Her body had the distinct hourglass shape, very curvy. She was not fat by any means but she was no runway model size 0. She had meat on her bones. No protruding hip bones or collarbone, no thigh gap or scrawny arms. She also had very nice large breasts. They were highlighted in the shirt as well. The shorts showed off her strong legs and nice backside. She had golden blonde hair with some red and brown streaks through it, them melding together in a beautiful shade. Light tanned skin made the freckles on her face stand out. They were very light, only seen in the right light. She had them under her eyes, along her cheeks and across her nose. Random splatters were found elsewhere however. Finally, she had beautiful ocean blue eyes with some gold flecks in them. "Charles!" Her father replied, seeing his old friend in view.

Ben was working in the field when he saw the BMW pull up the road. He heard there was getting some help on the farm, and he scoffed. He thought to himself, whoever thinks they'll be able to last out here driving in something like that is terribly mistaken.

He was the typical redneck in school, but he wasn't fazed by the moniker. In fact, he embraced it. He loved his upbringing and where he came from. He never got good grades, but never cared about grades. He was only in school because you went to jail otherwise. He only took the classes he needed and got just the grades required to pass, nothing more. He only wanted to cruise through so he could get back home and back on the farm. That is, until he joined the football team.

He loved being on the team. He loved feeling strong and in control of his situation. Hats why he loved being on the farm, as well. He loved to feel strong. These two pastimes, football and farm work, occupied all of his time. He had joined the team in middle school, and had helped on the farm for years earlier. It was these that built his into the 6'3 muscular frame he had today. He quite admired his build. It was useful, anyway. He always flirted, but he was never interested in any of the bimbos who normally hit on him.

He didn't fail to see why, either. He had a large, broad chest and thick arms. He didn't have defined abs, he wasn't an Abercrombie and Fitch model. But he did have the muscle there. He also had a strong jaw, which framed thin lips and was covered in stubble. He liked the rough feeling, but didn't want the hassle of keeping a full beard.

When the BMW arrived, he was wearing dirty, faded jeans and steel-toed boots. He never understood cowboy boots outside of a rodeo. His flannel plaid shirt had the sleeves rolled up and left the top two buttons unbuttoned. He was wearing a baseball cap to keep the sun out of his eyes, as he peered to see who was walking out of the car.

"Charles!" A man yelled from the other side. He must need his father. "I'll get him!" He came back a short time later, and they both greeted him.

"Charles!" Her father, Hunter, called and embraced the older man. "It has been far too long." He replied. Katherine just rolled her eyes, really not looking forward to this. Her eyes looked over to the guy who was roughly her age. Hum, not half bad looking.... She thought to herself. Maybe working on the farm wouldn't be too dreadful. Maybe a little fun. Even if Katherine wasn't the type to sleep around.

"Is this the little Katherine you have been talking about? She doesn't look so little to me!" Charles replied. Katherine finally pushed the sunglasses up into her hair, showing her face. "No but she is my baby. Katherine, this is Charles and Ben!" He replied. Katherine extended her hand and lightly shook each man;s hand. Of course their grip overpowered hers easily. "Nice to meet both of you." She replied, putting on a fake smile.

"Ben, why don't you show Katherine where she is staying so she can get settled in before lunch?" Charles replied to his son.

"Sure thing, Dad." He answered. He turned to the girl, and said, "Come on, little lady." She didn't seem to enjoy that, but he couldn't care less. Just another bimbo, he thought. And a rich one at that. He figured she must be a rich city girl, all her clothes were too fancy and sparkly compared to what he got at Walmart.

He led the way to the house, quite a walk from where they were. He could already hear her panting from the walk. He chuckled to himself, and knew he was going to have fun with this pushover. He called to her over his shoulder, "So you got a name? Or should I just call you Sparkles?" He unlocked the door, and stepped aside to allow her in first.

Little lady. What, was she like 12 and he was 40? Please. She noticed that the house was still quite a walks a way. Sure, she swam and was in shape but the boots weren't meant for walking....until the song said. She was inhaling deep breaths, trying not to sound like she was a little winded.

"Um...I am pretty sure my father introduced me back there" She replied to him, going into the house. It was small. Like...cozy. Cute...but not something she would generally go for. It was rustic. Which was great in the mountains. Not in the country. "It is Katherine. Ben right?" She asked him, looking back to him.

"Yep," he said confidently, "and I was just asking your full name is all." He tried to pass off like he hadn't already forgot her name, even though he had. "This is Casa Beaufort. I'll show you your room." He led her down the hallway past the living room and the kitchen. He opened what looked like a cupboard door, which was actually the entrance to the basement. "It's right down here, first on your right. If you see a bed with a light above it, you hit the right spot." He stepped back to allow her to go down, his hands in his pockets. "So what brings you all the way here, Katy?"

"Oh...Katherine Elise Covington." She replied. Why did he want to know her full name? That was strange. But alright. Maybe he was just nosy. She looked around when he spoke about it being their home. It was cute still. Just something she never pictured herself being in. She then looked to the small door that he went to open. Oh no....he was not going to shove her in a closet just like Harry Potter was he? But then she realized it was for the basement. She sighed in some relief at least. She then started heading down into the dark room. Ugh, this was like in some horror film. She hated it. "Oh so your father didn't tell you?" She asked Ben.

He gave her a quizzical look. "My dad didn't tell me what?" That a girl would be lick in the basement? That she'd be prissy and snooty? That she'd be kinda cute? His dad didn't tell him a lot of things, and he didn't mind so much. Whatever didn't directly involve him, he didn't pay attention to. To him, she was just another hand in the field. Eventually.

Katherine almost fell off the bottom step, not expecting it to end so soon. It was dark in there! "By the way, my name is Katherine. Not Katy or Kate or Kat. Please....just Katherine." She replied. She finally stopped looking around. Where was the light? This was a stupid design. Why didn't they put lights at the tops of the stairs?! That made logical sense. Then again, some builders put weird shit in homes.... "My father wasn't all too happy that I was enjoying college. I went out to parties and I was drinking. So he stuck me here to teach me a lesson. I will be here until August." She added with a sigh. She didn't mention the spending money part.

He reached his arm up right above her head and pulled down a chain. The light sputtered, then flickered on. "There you go. And I like Katy better, if you don't mind. Here you go!" He extended his arm to show her the entire basement. To their far left was a small bathroom with the door ajar. Further right was a laptop on a desk, and a bed next to it. Directly in from of them was a bundle of shower curtains laying on the floor. On the far right was a closet with all of Ben's clothes inside. It was fairly large, much larger than the bathroom. And finally, there was a second bed carelessly placed askew between the curtains and the closet. "You get the one on the right." He said as he made his way to the curtains.

"I prefer Katherine...or Elise at that rate." She replied to him. Katy reminded her of Katy Perry. While she might share the chest region with her and eye color, they were different. She looked around the room, seeing that there was two beds. Wait....so she was rooming with him? In his room? "Wait...I don't have my own room?" She asked. This guy could watch her shower and undress! I mean come on. Really? Did they not have any other space? It had a small couch, TV, his desk with laptop and then the beds. Even the bed was no fun. I mean really? It was a twin mattress!

"Elise, pretty name," he smiled. "We'll settle on Elise." He started putting up the curtains. "We don't have any room upstairs for sleeping, we actually had to move that bed down here to make room. It was a tough son-of-a-bitch, too. But yeah, we're sharing the basement." He had hung the first curtain over the pipes that ran across the ceiling of the basement. "I'm putting these up for your privacy. And don't worry about me seeing you get naked or nothing," he reassured her, noticing she had been eyeing the bathroom. "The shower's up the stairs and all the way down the hall on the right. That bathroom just has a toilet." He finished settin up the second curtain.

"Besides, I think you'd like it down here anyway. For one: you'll be safer during a tornado. One just touched down a few days ago, not 5 miles from where you're standing." The third curtain was up, "Second: the basment's a lot roomier than anywhere else. And finally," he said as he hung up the last curtain, "it's nice and cool down here, especially during the summer. There you go! See? Now you have your own private little room!" He gave a big stupid grin to tease her.

He would be the only one to call her by her middle name. Just because he was a pain in her ass. Katherine rolled her eyes. "Oh and here I was thinking you were putting them up because you wanted to play doctor." She shot at him. She could play ball like that. Easily. Now wait a minute...the shower was upstairs but only a toilet was down here? Interesting.

She looked to him when he spoke about a tornado. "WHAT?!" She asked, her face in shock. "You are joking right? I mean...I thought they only hit like trailer parks! Or...like Joplin." She added. She liked the other reasons, her looking at the makeshift bedroom. "Oh boy, I was looking forward to sharing a room with a cowboy. Always been my dream." She added, rolling her eyes.

"Isn't it everyone's, doll face?" If she wanted to be snotty, he could play along just fine. He added, "And I'll only play doctor with the right patient. The only prescription I recommend for you is getting the stick outta your ass." He started walking up the stairs, yelling at her over his shoulder, "And no, tornadoes don't just hit Joplin, we're in Tornado Alley, the area with the highest concentration of tornadoes in the continental U.S. Don't worry, you'll be fine." He walked out to the smaller barn, the sun almost setting in the distance.

"Oh please. I don't have a stick up my ass!" She called back as he spoke. Well no shit she knew they were in Tornado Alley....but really? None ever hit the city...but they were in the country. She rolled her eyes and headed upstairs to collect her bags. She said goodbye to her father, then bringing her luggage downstairs. Since he didn't say anything, she pushed his things over to one side of the closet and put her things. She made her bed with all of the pillows and such and the bedding they gave her before she headed upstairs. Mrs. Beaufort was very nice, asking if Katherine wanted to help her cook dinner. Finally, something Katherine would enjoy. Although she noticed a lot of stuff was made with butter and crisco.... What was crisco?

She looked at Katherine, puzzled, "You've never seen a can of Crisco?" She giggled, "Oh, sweetie, you're missing out. It's what we cook everything with down here. You're gonna eat good while you're here."

Meanwhile, Ben was feeding the chickens and cleaning the milking machine for the cows. After locking up all the animals and feeding them, he headed back to the house. He could smell it halfway across the property. His favorite: fried hash browns with bacon and chicken-fried steak. He ran home, eager not to miss dinner. He almost broke down the door coming in.

"What....is Crisco?" She asked, looking confused. She shook her head. "I cook everything in olive oil and I rarely use butter." She replied. She was more into healthy eating. She wasn't a vegetarian...but she ate things like hummus, kale, quinoa and the likes. Not...whatever she was making. Although it smelled heavenly. She cooked the spicy collard greens, making the peach and berry cobbler as well while his mother made the hash browns and chicken-fried steak. She watched as Ben came in quickly, a smile on his face. "Does he do this every night?" She asked his mother, bending over and placing the cobbler in the oven.

Pretty soon they were all sitting down, joined by a younger boy. Apparently the eldest sister was off at college, taking summer classes. Interesting. So people did leave the farm. She probably had more in common with this sister then...

The family dinner went along as usual, the family sat around and talked about their day and what happened. Ben's dad had just bought a new tractor engine for the old green one out back. It had been running for decades, and his father didn't believe in letting something go to waste when he could still fix it. John, Ben's little brother, had just gotten accepted into his school's choir. "Good job little man, you'll be selling out at the Radio City Music Hall in no time!" cheered Ben. He was very supportive of his little brother, not minding that both he and his little sister had grown wanderlust and wanted to leave the farm. He knew that they were all different, and didn't mind. Mama had just found out that one of the mares was pregnant, so they would have a bouncy little pony very soon. And Krista, his older sister, had Skypes with the family earlier. She had went to a local concert earlier that week, and she was applying for an internship at the university's biology lab.

Everyone had something to share, except Katherine. Ben noticed that she had been relatively quiet and at the far end of the table, almost separating herself from everyone else. Her face was hung over her plate. Ben nudged his mother, and she spoke up, "So how has life been treating you so far, Katherine? Are you enjoying yourself so far?"

Sure, it was their family. It was their family dinner. She didn't want to intrude. This was their routine. Suddenly...Katherine felt so lost. Like she didn't belong at all. Katherine just ate in silence, making comments about how amazing the food was. Which it was. How did she not know about this stuff? It was fantastic! It was like...heaven on a plate. When his mother spoke, she looked up. "Oh, it is nice here. A lot different than the city for sure." She replied to them. "I know I have already said this before but the meal is fantastic. Thank you." She added.

After dessert, Katherine stayed around to help clean up as everyone else went their separate ways. Katherine finally went to the basement, hoping to at least get on facebook for a little bit or something like that.

Ben had just gotten out of the shower and was drying off when he came downstairs. He was wearing basketball shorts and a white t-shirt. He lingered by the entryway, watching Katherine enveloped in her iPod. "You know," he interrupted, startling her a bit, "Just because I give you shit sometimes, Delano mean I don't think you don't belong here. You don't have to be all reclusive with us. We'll look out for ya, so don't be afraid to join in whenever you like. You're gonna be part of the family for quite some time now, we might as well make it enjoyable for as long as we can." He walked into the closet for a moment, after having given his pep talk. He emerged later with a jacket and jeans in his arms. "And by the way," he mentioned before disappearing behind the curtain, "Your stuff is on my side." He joked.

Katherine was looking on her iPod, going to listen to some music before taking a shower. She was startled slightly when he spoke. "Well, I didn't know what to say." She replied honestly to him. "Your family is much different than mine." She added. She couldn't remember the last time they sat down as a family to eat except for things like Thanksgiving and Christmas. She then watched as he spoke about her things being on his side, earning an eye roll. "Well your stuff fits perfectly on one side!" She added. She then noticed he had a jacket and jeans. "Are you going somewhere?" She asked. And could he take her?

"What, these?" He asked when she saw him grab his clothes, "No, I'm just setting these out for tomorrow before I forget. That way you have your privacy." He tossed his stuff next to his bed and sat on the edge. "Give it time, eventually you'll get used to how we do things here. It's not so terrible, once you get the hang of it." He joked. He laid back on his bed and said across the curtain, "You might want to wait about five minutes if you want hot water. Our water heater's pretty small, a bigger one should be on the way though."

Darn. He wasn't leaving. Too bad. "Well thank you." She replied, then looking on her phone and sending a text message really quick. "Wait so just by taking your hot shower....there is not a lot of hot water left?" She asked. All of this was so strange to her! "So...you have always lived out here?" She asked him. It felt so strange to be living here. It was completely different. His whole room was the size of her closet back home. And even then her closet was probably bigger!

"Well, when we use that same heater for everything else around here, yeah." He laughed. "I've been here pretty much my whole life. I was born in the hospital a ways down the road, and I only left town for games and vacations. So yeah, I've been here forever. Why? Did you move around a lot?" He was curious about her. He realized its a major culture shock for her, and he wanted to know how she could've lived any way other than he lived.

"Yes, I moved around a lot. My parents finally settled down when I was just about to go into high school." She replied to him. "I lived in Connecticut, California, here, Florida, Illinois, Michigan and Colorado." She replied. Sometimes they were for less than a year or so and sometimes longer. She had lived in Texas the longest. "I was born here though." She added. She laid on the bed, sending another text message off.

Back
Top Bottom