Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Love Lost In Time

"Witch! Witch! Witch! Witch!..." The angry mob chanted as a couple of townspeople personally gathered wood and twigs and branches all for a 'bonfire.' Yeah, like it really was a bonfire. Many of the people were holding torches, screaming and glaring, especially as a cloaked and hooded young woman was being brought through the group by two rough townspeople. Of course though, she was begging them not to do this to her. She wasn't a bad one. She was good; it's just her curiosity led her to this and once she found it, she didn't want it to stop but she'd never hurt a soul.

During all the hustling and bustling of getting her on that bonfire and tying her up, the hood of her cloak fell, to reveal an especially young girl; only seventeen and condemned to death for the use of witchcraft. Her cheeks were tear stained, her hair was messy. She looked like she had been living in a cell for days and treated unfairly. Her heart was beating so hard, she could feel it in her head, throbbing and vibrating in there. It was so overwhelming. And then suddenly, they lit the fire and she watched as it spread. Her breathing became more quickened and she was screaming out pleads and begging for mercy. But it was too late. Just before the flames engulfed her and her screams--ending her life--she caught one last glimpse of the love of her life. And in that last moment, she managed to preserve her soul, vowing to return one day to reunite with him. Leighton Anne Barnes would return.

About four hundred years passed and the Barnes estate was the home to her descendants, and a more prominent one who could be mistaken for Leighton's twin; Leigh Barnes. She was named after her great+ aunt who was wrong condemned. Her death was a big thing in their family and the story traveled four hundred years to now. It had a big impact on Leigh's life, what with rumors of her aunt's power and vow to return but like any other teenager who just wanted to survive high school, Leigh passed it off as a supernatural joke that would only happen in the movies. Things like that, don't happen in reality; they just don't.

The Barnes' had left Massachusetts only a few years after Leighton's execution and only now were they returning. They never sold their legendary home. It had always been home. While Kansas did its purpose--raising Leigh away from all her family history--it never truly did feel like home, the way their home in Massachusetts felt.

The moving truck arrived to the large home. It looked like a colonial home but with a sort of modern twist to it. Over the years, it had been redone so many times that it looked how it is to its original glory but there was always something different. Leigh hopped out of her parents' truck and she looked at the house, putting her hands on her hips. It was beautiful and to be honest, she preferred here more than Kansas; as if something was drawing her back here; she had only been to Massachusetts once and that was when she was five and she loved it. Perhaps it was truly something more to her than she expected but she always shoved it aside. Salem was Salem.

"Oh sweetie, it's almost time for school. Your father and I have it here alright, okay? You promised you wouldn't miss your first day." Her mother said softly, in a slight lecturing way. When her mother got that way, it was wise to not argue.

"Yeah, yeah. I just can't believe it. On the day we move here, I have to go to school." Leigh said, grabbing her backpack out of the back of the truck.

"But along the way you were just saying how excited you were to get out of, how did you say it--'Hicktown Kansas?'" Her mother asked with a small grin.

Leigh just smiled at her mom, only to roll her eyes. "I'll see you both in the afternoon." With that, she set course for the high school. Hayden Price High School, only a short distance from her new home. This entire week, her parents had been really working to get things ready for the move. She was enrolled into school via telephone and fax machine and had all the information she needed--class schedule, map of the school, and textbooks as well as supplies.

Pulling her backpack on only one shoulder, as she neared the school, she pulled out her class schedule and map of the school from the pocket of her ripped jeans. She had on a black and white plaid shirt and her naturally wavy long black hair was tied up in a messy high ponytail, her bangs covering her forehead, almost her eyes now too--she needed a trim. On her feet were a pair of old converse which she colored out of sheer boredom. Stepping onto the pavement that was technically Hayden Price property, she looked up at the school; it was beautiful and at least seemed to have a good education system, but that was the least of her worries. Giving out a small sigh, the slightly timid seventeen year old girl walked towards the school's entrance.

It was always nervous to start at a new school. But something about Salem, Massachusetts screamed home. She had no idea why, though.

"Witch! Witch! Witch! Witch!..." Nathan stood inside the large crowed trying his best to yell over their chants to free her. Swearing she had never harmed a soul struggling as best he could to free himself from the 2 large men that where holding him back. His screams of terror and pain washed out by hers as the fire was lit. Falling weakly to the ground when he felt her take her last breath he felt so weak so angry. He knelt there for 2 days and cried long after her family had taken her remains away to give them a proper burial. Nathan never spoke again for 50 years of his life he never said another word. He swore that never again would he let anyone ever over power him again his fiancée was dead because he could not fight off the towns folk.

For four hundred years the Marks family was marked my the loss of young sons each dying around the age of 20 in some strange and traumatic way. Nathan had been reborn every 20 years for the last four centuries and each new life he had spent searching for his long lost love. He could remember nearly everything about his former lives. The last year of his life however was always a blur something strange always happened and it broke his heart that he was constantly reborn to continue his search. His name had changed many times but he like his current one, Nate it felt familiar and he enjoyed that

He was now an 18 year old athlete still keeping the promise he made as a young man 400 years ago. He had a larger build and trained every day for the sports he had grew to love over his many lives. He dealt with the rumors of his family being cursed well always joking with his friends that at least he would leave a pretty corps. He never did tell anyone exactly how his ancestors had died in a fiery death usually leaving no body. He arrived to the school and was standing outside talking to some friends just having fun chatting trying to appear as normal as he could. His long hair pushed back behind his ears so it would hang out of his face and down to his shoulders. He smiled wearing a blue button up shirt and a simple pair of jeans.

Next to him his last name emblazoned across the back of a rather cute cheer leader who wore his varsity jacket. Not because they where dating as he had never dated a soul since his love was burned alive, but simply because she asked to. When the young girl walked onto the campus many eyes turned to her trying to place her in their minds. As the group around Nate left to go inside he froze something about her had him trapped. His eyes scanned her over and over trying to place her but her hair was defending her face from his gaze.

While she was aware of the fact of how much she resembled her great+ aunt, she didn't know it was enough to have everyone turn eyes on her. If she liked the spotlight, she totally would have strut down that hallway. But since her eyes were glued to her map and schedule, she looked up once and saw all eyes on her. Stopping in her place, she looked around and bit her lower lip, only to walk down the hall fast and quick, ducking her head. But suddenly she lost track at where her classes were. She went down the left corridor but ended up walking back and down the right corridor. Looking at the map, she let out a frustrated sigh. It was either look like a total buffoon or ditch class and come back never.

With a small sigh, she finally figured it'd be time to just ask someone for help and directions. Besides, the people who actually attended this school would have a better idea of the lay of the land. She approached the dude who was standing next to the cheerleader. He was the closest. "Hi, um, can you tell me where this class is?" She asked kindly and gently, showing him the class on her schedule.

If she was going to look like a buffoon who screamed a 'lost new student' then she'd at least try to look like a buffoon with some style and having some idea of where she was going. If she was going down, she'd go down in style! Hurrah for social death and digging your own grave!

He stood there in silence as his friends walked off to their class he simply stared at her trying to figure out why he could not look away. When she walked up to him and looked up at him to speak his face went gray it was like looking into a past life. The face he had seen in his dreams every night his entire life was standing before him. He closed his eyes and shook it off or tried to when he opened his eyes and say her face still standing there he thought he was beginning to lose it. His father had warned him that things may start happening to him he could not explain as it had happened to many of his cousins.

He closed his eyes again and tried to place her words together in his mind finally realizing what she was asking he forced a smile. "Sorry long night.... um..... " He looked at her schedule making a mental note of her classes so he could see if she still looked like this tomorrow. "Down the hall to the left 4th door on the right. " He swallowed hard gently placing his hand on hers as he took the paper and placed it on his locker. His hair on his arm standing up almost able to feel the electricity between them. He then took the pen out of his pocket and drew a line going from one class to the next so she could find them easier. Handing it back to her remaining silent not able to think with her eyes on him.

She waited for the longest time. He wasn't saying anything. He was just staring. It made her raise a brow. What, did she scream 'Kansas Hick' that easily? Did the plaid give it away? She almost wanted to ask but then it'd be totally embarrassing if that wasn't the case at all. But he did look familiar.

Lately she had been having these nightmares. Something about a woman being burnt at the stake. When she told her mother who was a Barnes by blood, she said it may have something to do with Leighton Barnes' proclamation to coming back; the exact thing she said before the flames finally took her life. Leigh always thought that was a joke or nothing serious so she ignored it. And in her nightmare, she always saw a very handsome guy, struggling to free himself from the restraints. His face was the only thing that wasn't blurred. Everything else was a blur. Still though, she wasn't a believer.

Finally when he helped with her classes, she smiled gently, pushing her bangs out of her eyes. They were kind of getting on her nerves now since they wouldn't get out of her face. It was then when she did that, that she looked more like Leighton than ever. Even when she smiled, she was the spitting image of her but just with a modern take on her style. "Thanks. I really appreciate it. The map is one thing. But trying to use it once here, it's a nightmare."

"Yea ... this place can ... be a pain to get around. " He spoke softly wanting so badly to reach out and touch her to see if she was real. Slowly he reached out placing his hand on her side lightly turning her to face the direction of her first class. "I'll walk you to your class. " His hand pressed into her side lightly almost pushing her but he was simply making sure she was there. He lead her around slowly his hand on her side as long as she would allow a soft smile on his face his mind praying it was actually her. Once he reached her class he froze glancing over at her looking into her eyes not able to speak just looking at her.

Laughing a bit, she nodded. "I can imagine." She said softly. "Consider myself lost and confused, officially." She said softly. Nodding to him when he offered to walk her to class, she walked with him, not paying a mind to his hand on her side or the fact that he was so forward in touching her. She didn't mind especially since she thought nothing of it but at the same time felt like she knew him. It was odd but it was strangely familiar. Once he brought her to her first class, she smiled at him, seeing he was staring again. A sort of awkward look came on her face and she bounced her eyebrows. "Um...do I have something on my face because that's the second time you're staring..." She said quietly.

His practiced charm kicked in as she called him on staring forcing him to smile and wink at her playfully. "Isn't staring what you are suppose to do to pretty things?" His hand finally leaving her side his fingers dragging away slowly as if he did not want to let her go. He had always been a bit of a flirt over time he had just learned how to do it better and even if she was not his beloved she was the mirror image and he needed to know her. "I do suppose it is a bit rude of me to just ogle you and not even tell you my name. I am Nate." He smiled offering her his hand wanting another excuse to touch her to prove she was real.

A blush managed to creep over her slight pale cheeks. She looked down and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear, finding it so sweet that he'd say that. He was being so flattering to her, she couldn't help but feel a little special or something. As his hand left her side, she watched his hand go, watching his fingers detach as if they didn't want to. She wasn't sure whether to feel flattered or to feel like he was some kind of scary stalker. "I'm Leigh. It's lovely to meet you Nate." She said softly, offering her hand into his.

He gave her hand a squeeze as he took it still staring into his eyes as she said her name taking a deep breath. His heart broke as his mind flashed back to a moment as she was burning when their eyes met he almost began to cry right there. "Its a pleasure Leigh... If you need someone to show around just let me know." Reaching into his jeans pocket looking for a piece of paper finding a one and a pen he wrote his cell number on it. He did not care if looking at her made him want to cry for a woman he never had meet before he just wanted to get to know this girl who he felt connected him to something, a feeling he had never felt before.

It was practically driving her nuts at how familiar he looked. Like she dreamed of him but she didn't want to believe that he could possibly be from that time in her nightmare. He'd have to be really be old and she didn't eactly believe that much into reincarnation. All she wanted to be was a normal teenager but it seemed impossible when she'd be reminded of ancestry now that she was back in Salem.

As he wrote down his number, she smiled gently. There was a certain pull she was getting from him. She wanted to get to know him more, that's for sure. But hastiness wasn't her style. "Thank you." she said gently, taking his number. She then took the pen from his hand and then grabbed his hand gently, writing her number on his hand. "Call anytime you want." she smiled gently, giving him his pen back and then walked into her class.

He smiled as she took his pen and wrote her number on his hand. Turning he programed it into his phone smiling brightly as he texted her almost instantly. You really should be careful with words like anytime. Sometimes things can get you into trouble. He smirked as he began jogging to class heading over to his class his mind racing if it was her ... did she remember him? Was she looking for him and more importantly if it was her could he avoid losing it this time.

Thankfully for her, her phone was on silent so it didn't alarm the entire class. She pulled it out and looked at the text, smiling gently. She text him back, Oh I never get into trouble. I'm too sly like that. She wrote, sending it to him and then crossing a leg over the other under her desk and kept her phone on her leg in case he'd respond which she had a feeling he would. She couldn't help her flirtatious nature, especially when she felt there was some long lost connection between them.

He smiled pausing just outside of class chuckling softly as he read her reply. Quickly sending one back. You better be careful telling me you can't get in trouble I might just see how far i can push your slyness. He laughed and turned his phone onto silent and slipped into class setting his phone on his book and hiding it behind the kid in front of him.

Feeling her phone vibrate on her leg, she opened to see the text and smiled gently. Shh. :] She wrote back and tucked her phone away, no longer wanting to take the risk of getting in trouble; it wouldn't end well, especially since she was the new girl and starting in the middle of the semester.

He laughed and went on with his classes putting his phone away ignoring the several text he was getting from other people. He smiled and and went about his day not seeing her again until he was on his way to lunch. He smiled walking over bumping his shoulder into her looking at her chuckling softly. "Hey new kid how is class going?"

While her classes were better than the ones in Kansas, school was still a snore-fest, especially since she had yet to get to her two favorites classes; art and choir. They were the last two classes of her day and that really sucked since she wanted to be in them now. But lunch wasn't so bad. Well it was until that. "Well it was going great until a jerk called me the new girl." She teased, giving him a light grin-smirk as she carried her tray to a table and sat down. She just got an apple and and a bottle of juice. She wasn't much of a fan of eating at school.

He smiled getting a slice of pizza and some fries following her over to the table and setting down next to her. He smiled and looked over at her as he began eating not really knowing what to say. It was shortly later that 2 guys and 3 girls came over and sat with them. The guys all looked athletic like Nate and the girls all wore letterman jackets that where way to big for them and clearly belonged to the guys. "Who's your friend." One piped up and smiled at her giving her a quick once over. "This is Leigh be nice jerks." They all laughed and smiled as nate started introducing them. "Becky, Adam, Lisa, Scott, and Stacy." He smiled at her looking into her seeming to ignore the girl with his name embroidered on his chest.

She bit into her apple, watching as some jock-type guys and a few cheerleaders sat down. In her old school, the jocks were always assholes and the cheerleaders were fake as hell; pretending to be nice and totally downsizing you with their eyes. It was horrendous. Looking at them, while they seemed to be acting nice, she could see the girls downsizing her with their eyes and she just rolled eyes. "Bite me." She said simply and got up, taking her juice and apple and going elsewhere. She was able to read people. Her mother said it was something she inherited from Leighton but she never believed it. Leigh allways thought it was intuition. That's all. But she could literally hear those girls saying bad things bout her. Still though, she was in complete denial.

The girl with Nates jacket on rolled her eyes and mumbled. "Bitch." Nate turned and looked at her with a glare giving her a look that could kill. "Who the fuck do you think you are? Watch your fucking mouth. " He glared at her reaching over and hooking the collar of his jacket. She was barely a cheerleader and the jocks where all just being nice to her because coach told them to be nice to people. "Give my my fucking coat and get away from me. " With that he roughly tugged his coat from her and slipped it on rolling his eyes. He then reached into his pocket and texted her trying to figure out what was going on. What was that about? I introduce you to some people and you snap on them before they can even say hello?

She knew what came over her and when she felt her phone vibrate, she took it out and looked at the text. Sighing quietly, she sat idly, unsure how to even respond to that. Scratching the back of her head, her fingers danced across the QWERTY keypad of her Pantech Slate and she wrote: I guess I'm a freak and I just had a feeling of what they were t hinkng. I call it Leigh's intuition. She sent, sitting back on the bench out in the hall and finished the rest of her red delicious apple. As she took in a second bite, she had a vision of the past. It was a bit blurry but she could at least make out the two people in there; Leighton and Nathan. They were lovers and this was before she ever found witchcraft. Leigh's apple fell out of her hand and she stared in front of her, seeing the vision still. She was sitting up, her hand in the air from holdiing her apple that had no rolled away from her after it fell out of her hands and her mouth was slightly opened in a small 'o.' It was a long vision. It was happy moments of them and then it ended with the recurring nightmare of when Leighton was executed and Nathan was screaming for her. The flames felt like they were coming for her and soon, she fell out of the bench and onto the floor, passed out. Her forehead was sweaty. She felt like she was unconsciously fighting her inner demons that she uknowingly had.

He read her message and sighed he recalled her intuition but he knew only one of his friends where like that the one he sent away. He quickly pulled up his key pad and sent her another message. Fuck her she is just a bitch come back and chat please. He smiled and spoke to his friends trying to just relaxing with her and enjoy himself but he knew he could not pull it off with out hearing from her. After a few long minuets of not hearing from her he got up and walked off to find her, having seen the direction she walked in he went to find her. Finding her laying on the ground he knelt down placing his hand on her forehead feeling the moisture he scooped her up and carried her in his arms to the nurse. He was afraid she was going threw the same thing he had gone threw several times.

Slowly and painfully, it was going to come back to her. the more she tried to deny it, the harder it'd be and the more painful it was going to be to accept as the visions would just come out of nowhere. And when they would, it would exhaust her body but she'd be left with the memory until she remembered it all and remembered who she was.

Once in the nurse's hands, Leigh was laid down on the bed and the nurse did a check up on her. All vitals seemed normal. "We just have to wait for her to wake up. I should notify her parents." The nurse said. But before she did that, she put a hand to Leigh's forehead, feeling her temperature. She was really burning up. She quickly got a paper towel and folded it, emersing it into ice cold water and placed it over her forehead. It was a good tactic to take away the heat and maybe restore some temperature balance in her body.

Once that was done, she went to the phone and called Leigh's parents.

Nate stood next to her the entire time when she placed the cloth on her forehead and left he gathered another. Using a trick he learned in football he placed a second cool cloth over her neck so it could chill the blood slightly on the way to her brain. He then sat in the chair next to the cot she was setting in taking her hand he held it tightly. His thumbs rubbing the back of her hand as he looked at her nervously. He knew how terrible it could be to fight against the memories and he knew if she was who he thought she should not be fighting them. He had to help her learn and figure out who she was if they wanted to be together.

Since their phones weren't hooked up yet, the nurse wasn't able to reach the house number. And because her parents were so busy with the movers, they didn't have their cell phones with them at the moment.

No matter. Leigh came to slowly but breathing hard. She felt a sharp pain in her head and put her head to it, feeling the moist cloth. She felt so weak and then saw her hand being held. She looked to see who it was and ended up seeing Nathan from the 1600s, rather than Nate. "N-Nathan?" She asked quietly and weakly, squinting her eyes a bit. But as she focused more, it turned out to just be Nate from this era. They looked so alike and the fact she knew who Nathan was, it only showed that Leighton's memories were coming back.

Back
Top Bottom