Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Living a Legacy

Should I continue to write, and strive towards being an author?

• Total voters

Frogger

Pulsar
Hi there... I just wrote this out of the blue one day, and I wanted to get some input on it. The thing's already done, but I do want to be an author someday...so yeah. Here it is!

A new day dawns, warm golden light pouring forth from the horizon. No birds chirp their morning songs on this cold morning. Instead the silence is heavy, each moment dragging on into infinity. Winter is closing in. What used to be green only weeks ago now donned in the robes of gray and brown, there is no denying such a fact. The grass weeping frosty tears, and brown leaves clinging desperately to the otherwise bare branches of proud oak trees, not much can happen without being noticed. Patrol began long before summer transitioned into autumn, and it will continue on until there is nothing to fear.

I shiver within my fur-lined jacket. No snow has fallen yet, thus none of winter’s icy majesty lays over the land. The prelude brings to mind words such as desolate, bleak, amongst others that should not be voiced. It almost seems as though the world is holding its breath. For what exactly, I can’t imagine. My own breath escapes my lips in puffy white clouds, only to fall apart soon. Elrond glances over in my direction. Though we haven’t made any conversation since we left the village, the smile he offers says more than any number of words can say. I feel my heart clench at the sight, and with heat burning at my cheeks, I quickly look away.

“Orelwen, are you alright?” His rich voice breaks through the silence, music dancing within every syllable. If given the choice, I would listen to his voice forever.

“Yes. Of course. Why wouldn’t I be?” I tell him, offering up my own smile. I long to reach out for his hand, to have its warmth envelop mine, but I resist the temptation and slip both hands into my pockets. Nothing will change if I did, indeed, indulge in such pleasure. I will still be betrothed to a man I hardly know, much less love…just as he will remain a guard preserving what is left of our dying race. My feelings do not matter. Whether I love my fiancée, or another man entirely…does not matter. The clan’s fate lies within this union.

My promise ring is a band with no meaning. At least, in my heart it is. Though exquisite and delicate…it is the heaviest weight on my fourth finger.

Elrond chuckles under his breath, only to shake his head soon afterwards. Amusement –and could that be a dash of something else? - flicker through those dark stormy grey eyes of his. “No reason, I suppose. For a moment there…I just thought something was wrong… I prefer your smile to that troubled crease between your eyebrows. It’s much prettier.”

I didn’t know what to say. Did I imagine what just happened here? Surely it had to be a figment of my imagination, for I have never before seen Elrond wear such a tender, worried expression… much less stumble over his words. He always knew what to say, at any given moment. That was one thing I’ve always admired about him. I cast my gaze about, searching for something, anything that I can use as a response.

“U-Um, th-thank you…”

“It’s no problem. I would just rather see a smile on that pretty face of yours.”

I blush and we exchange glances, only for our eyes to dart away after a shocking clash of stormy grey and ocean blue. Silence fell between us. I remove a hand from my pocket, now threading my fingers through my hair.

Life comes with a certain amount of expectations. Even I know this, young as I may be. At twenty-three years old, I know its weight upon my shoulders. There is no escaping it. No matter how I wish it to be otherwise, I cannot change my fate.

A strange, ominous feeling interrupts my thoughts. My heart pounding loudly at its presence, I look about, almost expecting a pair of eyes to be looking back. Instead I find nothing. And yet, the feeling wouldn’t disperse. I palm my dagger, the cool metal providing a small margin of reassurance. Because I am not trained in the ways of the sword, I carry only this on my person, just in case something occurs. “Elrond?” I whisper.

“What is it?” he says quietly.

“Do you have the feeling that we are being watched?” I ask, tension coiling within my stomach in thick ropes. I didn’t like this… There was just something wrong here. Out of the corner of my eyes, I notice him drawing his sword. The sunlight flashes off its sharp edge, the metallic song still ringing even while he holds it firmly.

Elrond gives a curt nod, eyes narrow and searching the nearest trees.

All was silent…until pandemonium broke loose.

I didn’t –or rather, couldn’t- understand what was going on. It just happened so fast… I couldn’t comprehend any of it. Arrows sank deep into the earth at our feet, five, ten, the shafts quivering. Elrond situates himself between me and whoever is attacking us, playing his part to the best of his abilities. Metal hit metal. My dagger is nothing in comparison to his blade, and just as useless. I can’t do anything. I know this, and so I slip the anlace back to where it originated from, merely pressing myself against the large man’s back. It’s hard to breathe…what with the fear.

Moments later…everything stops. All movement ceases to exist, the silence all the more oppressive because of it. I reluctantly open my eyes and draw back. I can’t tell how much time has flown by. There’s no telling if it was five minutes, or fifty. The setting is as it was before, arrows aside. Yet…that feeling was back…that feeling of something being very much wrong. I direct my attention onto Elrond.

The smell and taste of iron choke the air out of my lungs, calling forth burning tears to my eyes. A ruby flower grew from a bud to a magnificent blossom in the middle of his chest. The arrow…was entirely too close to his heart, way too close for comfort. It wasn’t long before it began weeping crimson tears, the vibrant hue staining into his shirt. Each inhale brought the strangest rasping sound, pain evident along every line of his face. “Elrond…” I barely manage. My heart crumples around the edges, a few bits tumbling into my stomach.

“Orelwen…”

No...No…NO! This can’t be happening! Not to him…Not to my Elrond…

His knees buckled under his weight. I gently help him down onto the ground, wet blood turning both my hands and my clothing red. The arrow… Perhaps…if I try and take it out…I reach out towards the shaft, only for his hand to take it. My breath hitches in my throat. “Please…” A sob escapes my lips, unbidden. “Please, Elrond… Let me…”

“No…” With a smile, he shakes his head no. “It’s…no use.”

I feel the cold caress of tears upon my cheeks. “What do you mean, it’s no use? Of course it is! If I pull it out, I can stop the bleeding!” I shiver, not from the harsh winter breeze, but from the fact that I know he’s right.

Elrond raises our joined hands up to his lips, pressing a light kiss to the back of mine. “Don’t be sad… Everything will be just fine, love… Please don’t cry… I will always be with you...no matter what happens. I will always protect you…”

Love? That single word sends my heart flying within the cage of bone it resides in, and more tears fall. Why…? I swallow hard, finding it rather hard to breathe. I bring his hand to my chest, just clutching onto it as though for dear life. Why…Why must fate be so cruel? Why must it take away the man I love…with all my heart, my body…and my soul?

Before I know it, our lips meet in a sweet, passionate kiss. There is heat, true…but it was tender. Our hearts sang to one another. No bars kept our feelings from being known, or his last wish.

For his last precious breath of life…to be used during this kiss.

I’m crying harder when I finally draw away, his body an empty shell of the man I knew and loved. No longer will I hear him laugh after a joke. No longer will I be able to glimpse into his eyes, and see the kindness shining through…or be able to see him alive.

Life is a circle, with neither a beginning nor an end. No matter what happens to any given person, it never stops… That wheel continues to turn. And yet, despite knowing this…it feels as though it has sputtered to a stop. My heart is broken into thousands of insignificant pieces. I cannot ask an expert to glue my heart back together…because that person will only meet with failure. I hang my head and struggle to reign in my tears.

“A warning…dear Princess.”

The deep, rasping voice freezes my very blood, and quickly I search about for its source. I find nothing. “What is this warning exactly?” I ask warily, skin tingling with fear and rage.

“Galolia shall bow to the Myldur tribe. If this is not done…more blood will rain down onto the earth…and the Galolia tribe will be no more. Take these words to the Queen.”

I hear something –a snap of a twig, or the faint rustle of clothing- and turn towards the noise, but no one is there. Rage rises to the surface, its intensity painting my vision that dark bloody color.

“No…No, I must calm down…” I whisper to the empty forest. “It won’t do any good to be angry…” I brush the back of my hand against Elrond’s cold jaw, gaze softening until tears threaten. My heart shatters all over again. After a few moments of this, I press a kiss to his cheek. “You promised that you will always be with me…” I breathe there. “I am holding you to it…Alright?”

Some believe in reincarnation, in life after death. I never gave it much thought myself. The word death just seems so… final, and I didn’t like thinking so far into the future. Yet as I’m looking down at Elrond’s face –once animated with life- I can’t help but cling to the notion that maybe…just maybe, there really is life after death. That perhaps…Elrond will return to my side. We may have separated in this lifetime…but we will meet again, in another. I can certainly hope. I want our fates intertwined, to have a little red ribbon linking us together, whether we be creatures of the forest, or elves once again. I found true love...only to have it taken away soon after. I may be alone now, but I must never give up. I must stand tall...make new friends, and keep walking forward. Life is a big adventure. I will grow stronger, I will surpass the best...and I will chase after my dreams. I will live without regret.

I know one thing though. My heart will always be his…for the rest of eternity. And we will meet again.

Hi there, you write well, practicing and reading and RP'ing with others will improve that as well, I don't know how old you are or your experience level but if you enjoy writing you should keep going with it.

A rule I try and follow with stories is you want the start to be mysterious and catchy, grab your audience as soon as they start reading and explain what is happening a long the way keeping them in suspense, your start was a little slow.

Also with these types of things, you might want to comment on some of the other stories in here people like feedback and it might encourage them to comment on your work. :)

Back
Top Bottom