Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Best Friend x Blind Best Friend ( Semper x Javorcek)

Mila thanked the nurse for letting her stay and then left the hospital. She hopped up onto her bike and then rode over towards Kat's little apartment. She was thankful that she had made this ride several times already; it was a moonless night and next to impossible to see outside even though her eyes had already adjusted to the darkness. This must be what Kat sees...only about 30 times worse. The brunette sighed, even more determined now to help Kat adjust and pick up her life from where she had left it.

Once Mila got over to her friend's apartment, Nitro woke up from his nap and just about bowled her over in her excitement to see her. "No! Down!" The dog listened and she pat his head lightly before grabbing his leash so that she could take him out for a quick walk so he could do his business. Once that little chore was taken care of, Mila was too tired to go home and instead just fell asleep on Kat's couch with Nitro half ontop of her.

----

That morning she had to rush around to take care of Nitro and then head back to the dorms so that she could shower and get a change of clothes. Her morning was a whirlwind of frantically trying to get ready for the rest of her day before having to deal with her classes. She was going to skip her afternoon Ceramics class...which should be fine. She was allowed three absences and still hadn't miss a class yet.

Mila had to sneak out of her Art History class about halfway through it in order to make it to the hospital in time. She didn't really mind skipping that class, she was doing pretty well in it anyways. Missing half of one lecture on Greek art wasn't going to destroy her GPA or anything.

Rather than ride her bike, she made her way to the hospital on foot that way she could walk Kat home. Unfortunately she didn't realize just how much longer it was going to take walking than it was riding. She had to sprint the last quarter of the way to the hospital and up three flights of stairs to get to Kat's floor. The poor brunette bursted into her friend's room, panting heavily and bending over as she tried to catch her breath and ease the stabbing pain in her side.

"Okay! I'm...here..." Mila panted before glancing around the room. All she got a good look of was was Kat sunning herself in the window. Where was the doctor? It was 12:05! "What the...what the hell?! I ran...and...he's...he's not even...even here yet?!"

Kat jumps and whirls towards the sound of someone bursting into the room, she laughs and relaxes, hearing Mila's voice. "He's a doctor, you expected him to be on time?" She asks with amusement as she leaned against the glass. "How long did they let you stay last night?" She asks curiously as she looks in Mila's direction. They had another fifteen minutes to chat before the doctor shows up. He asks Kat to sit down on the bed before stepping close to her. He reaches behind her head to begin undoing the bandages, a tiny part of Kat hopes that when the bandages come off, she'll see the light, the doctor, Mila's beautiful face. But when she felt the last wrap come off, all she saw was darkness and she was sure the disappointment was clear on her face.

The acid had injured the skin under her eyes and over her slightly crooked nose -from breaking it as a child- those wounds were still mostly open, only beginning to heal. Her eyes still looked around, as if she could see, but there was an element of her gaze missing, the part that helped you tell she was focusing on something. The doctor explains the eye drops and caring for the skin wounds. "If you're feeling comfortable I'll release you today." The doctor says, and Kat nodded eagerly "Please," The doctor nods and leaves to get KAt's paper work. She turns in Mila's direction "So, how do they look?" She asks curiously.

"Well...yeah!" The guy's paid a butt ton of money...the least he could do is show up to see his patient on time. Not like ranting about it would help the situation any though. Mila's breathing eventually went back to normal and she stood back up nice and tall. She wiped the sweat from her face and took a couple of deep breaths to help her body relax. Mila was late to evvveerrryyythiinnggg: it was a common flaw found in most artistic types. The fact that she was only 5 minutes late to Kat's bandages coming off was a miracle. "The nurse let me stay til uh...2:50am. Then I went to your place and cuddled with Nitro on the couch."

They chatted for a little while longer before the doctor came in. Mila had her fingers crossed, hoping that the doctors had been wrong, that her best friend would get to see again. But alas, once she looked into Kat's eyes after the bandages fell off, she knew that she couldn't see; her eyes didn't seem to focus on anything. The expression on her friend's face made her heart drop. Poor Kat... No! No 'poor Kat'...she's your friend, don't treat her any different from before.

"Ummm..." Mila hesitated a moment when Kat asked her how her eyes looked. Kat looked as cute as ever...but Mila sort of had a biased opinion. So the brunette took a -really- good look at her friend's face, especially around the eyes and tried to make a more objective analysis of them. "Lil red around the eyes. A couple of places that are dark read and still need time to heal. Your eyes themselves are a lot lighter than they used to be. Sort of like fog instead of storm clouds.." The artist smiled a little bit, content with her appraisal. "You look fine though...I doubt anyone is going to run screaming if they see you."

Kat smiles at Mila's assessment "Doesn't sound too bad." She murmurs with a smile as the doctor returns "Here's you're release papers, you are free to go Miss Doyle, also here is your medication." He says, pressing the bag into her hand for her. "Thank you, Doctor." She says, hearing him go. "I guess it's finally time to get out of here." Kat says as she turns in Mila's direction. "I'm glad you were able to make it today." She says with a smile, before standing up. She took the change of clothes and just began changing. Being friends so long meant that they weren't overly concerned about privacy anymore. It was awkward getting dressed and it took her longer than she though it would.

But eventually she was able to lace up her favored combat boots. "I think I'm ready." She says, as she picked up her meds and the MP3 player that Mila had brought. "I can't wait to sleep in my own bed." She says, though last night had probably been the best night by far, that she'd spent in the hospital, because she'd gotten to fall asleep with Mila tangled up with her.

"Wouldn't miss this for anything." Mila smiled a bit; she never would have let Kat do this on her own no matter what. She was her best friend after all! ...Mila's super hot best friend that was now getting naked. The brunette closed her eyes for a moment while Kat stripped out of her gown and into a fresh set of underwear. She listened carefully for the sound of rustling of bras and panties to stop before opening her eyes once more. Mila had seen Kat naked on several occasions before, but was much more comfortable seeing her in just a bra and panties than fully nude. It was hard to resist trying to help her friend get dressed; but Mila was good and patiently waited for Kat to do everything on her own. Instead she shouldered her now empty backpack and grabbed the cane that someone must have left in the room awhile ago for Kat.

"Here, I'll trade you." Mila took the MP3 player and the medication out of Kat's hand and pressed the cane into it instead. Then she put the odds and ends into her pack and gave a glance around the room to make sure that Kat wasn't leaving anything behind. Not finding a single thing, Mila was all set to leave now too. "Okay, think we've got everything. You uh...want me to hold your arm or your hand or something while you get used to the cane?"

Kat nods, letting Mila take the things from her hand and replace it with a cane. She could tell it was longer than a usual one, seeing as it wasn't meant for balance but to bump into things before Kat got to them. "That would be nice." She says when Mila offers to hold her arm or hand. Kat didn't really feel secure yet with just the cane and she was sure it would take a while. Once they were situated and ready to go Kat stepped carefully out of the room, letting the cane move in front of her, like she'd seen other blind people do. "So how was sharing the couch with Nitro?" She asks with a grin, she knew full well that her dog was a bit of a bed hog, or couch hog, when he slept and it could make sharing a sleeping space with the 90 pound shepherd rather interesting.

Kat leaned against the wall of the elevator for the ride down, which it felt odd, feeling the motion of going down, but not seeing anything and not actually moving. The whole thing made her a little dizzy, but her head righted itself when they reached the bottom and began to step out. "Didn't you have to skip classes to come here today?" Kat asks curiously, not wanting Mila to get in trouble for skipping class just to come and pick her up.

Long, delicate fingers took hold of Kat's hand and she held her friend there, figuring it would give her more autonomy than lacing their arms would. Mila gently guided her friend through the hallways and towards the elevator, going a little slower than usual so that Kat could properly use the cane to help keep from bumping into walls and things. At least the nice thing about the cane was that people saw her coming in advance and moved out of their way.

"Ugh...I don't understand how Nitro thinks he's a lap dog when he weighs almost as much as I do. I tried to be firm and hold my ground but he just ended up laying down right ontop of me and snored in my ear." Mila said with a chuckle. She wasn't all that upset about Nitro's bed hogging antics. She'd always wanted a dog but they weren't allowed in the dorms and since her scholarship was weird and forced her to live on campus she was kind of stuck there until she graduated. Then maybe she could get a playmate for Nitro.

"Yeah, I skipped just one and a half classes today. It's no big deal. Don't worry about it." Mila gave her friend's hand a reassuring squeeze. Mila was a bright girl; her parents constantly were nagging her that she was wasting her brain cells away as an art major. But whatever, Mila loved it, it made her happy.

She led Kat down the long driveway that led up to the hospital and towards the sidewalk of the main road. The entire time her eyes were glued to the ground, the one time Kat didn't detect a bump with her stick, she just gave her friend a bit of a tug to the side before she tripped over the sidewalk. "I can take some days off from my classes if you want...just to be around and help you out until the weekend when your aunt and uncle come by."

Kat laughs "He's so well mannered until it's time for bed." She grins, the dog had superb training, but his one quirk was bed time. She nods slowly when Mila says it wasn't a big deal, hoping that that was actually true. They walked along and when Mila would tug her, Kat would step closer to the other young woman in order to avoid whatever it was that her cane missed, and since she was still getting use to it, she missed things quite frequently on her walk home. "If you want to take days off you can, but I don't want you jeopardizing your classes or scholarship." She says as they approached her apartment building.

They took the elevator up and then walked down the hall to the door labeled 204. The instant the key slid into the lock, there was a deep growl from the other side of the door, Nitro was an extremely protective dog. "Hey Nit," Kat murmurs as the door opens, and instantly the growls turned into pleasured whimpers as Nitro spun little circles and nosed into Kat, rubbing against her. "Hi sweetie." She murmurs, crouching to rub her dog and accept the eager little licks to her chin. "I missed you too, pal." She murmurs rubbing him for another moment before managing to stand up and telling nitro to Back Off.

Once inside Kat slid off her combat boots, trying to get a mental image of the apartment. "It's amazing, how well you think you know your own home, until you are asked to walk through it blind." She sighs softly.

Mila slipped into the apartment right after Kat and shut the door behind them while her friend played with Nitro. He was so well trained already...he'd probably love to be a service dog and get to follow Kat around all the time instead of being stuck in the apartment on his own. She took off her sneakers and put them out of the way by the doorway so that she didn't track anything inside. Then her slate grey eyes glanced about the living room to see if she had left something out or moved anything but it looked just like how Kat had left it before her accident. Awesome, there shouldn't be any booby traps.

"Welp, I guess now's as good a time as any to start walking through it blind and re-learning it!" Mila smiled and moved to gently rub Kat's back in an encouraging manner. In the past couple of days Mila had read anything and everything she could get her hands on to try to gauge how rough this would be on Kat. It definitely was going to suck; stupid stuff that Mila wouldn't have even thought twice about would have to change: like how Kat marked her spices or her money or her clothes. But it wasn't going to be impossible. "Come on Kat, you can do this. It's just like...like when you walk to the bathroom with the lights off. Or sneak into the kitchen for a late night snack."

Kat smiles nodding at her words "Yeah, all the time." She says wit ha chuckle, before beginning to wander through the living room, she'd left her cane by the door, determined to not have to use it in the house. She bumped into the coffee table, frowned a bit, turned to her left and promptly ran into the couch, making her curse under her breath. She walked between the two nearly ran into the side table with the lamp on it, before she got to the porch door. She knew she'd need to spend a lot of time practicing and figuring out where everything was in her apartment, even down to what drawers she'd put things in.

She made her way into the kitchen, worked to remember which cabinet the cups were in, then how to find that cabinet. Once she'd successfully found a cup, she tried to fill it with water from the tap, and ended up soaking her hand and the cup as she filled it. She wasn't particularly thirsty she just wanted to attempt a easy task and see how difficult it would actually be to do even the simplest thing.

Mila quietly watched her friend stumble about the living room, cringing a bit every time she bumped into something. She's got it...leave her alone... With a soft sigh she resigned herself to stay by the door and just watch as Kat slowly made her way into the kitchen. Curious eyes stayed glued to Kat as she started to feel around the cabinets. She must've been trying out an easy and common task without her sight to guide her.

"It makes a different sound as it gets to the top of the cup. Kinda like a deeper gurgley noise once it gets close to full." Mila offered a little bit of advice as the water ran over the top of the cup and onto Kat's hand. The brunette was ridiculously observant of the physical world, usually using more than just her sight to evaluate things. It made making art much easier, the more feelings she could draw on in her attempt to recreate something. While Kat bumbled around a bit more, she moved to go sit down by the couch. The whole time, she kept her eyes on Kat; like a parent letting their child do something for the first time, Mila was poised to dart across the room and help if it looked like her friend was going to hurt herself.

"Ummm...you wanna help me make something for lunch?" It was a little after noon and she was starting to get pretty hungry. Mila loved to cook and usually came over to Kat's if she wanted to make something. The thing that really sucked about the dorms was the lack of kitchens.

Kat could feel Mila's eyes on her, even before her accident, she could always tell when her eyes were on her. She nods, Mila was right it had sounded different, Kat just hadn't paid any attention to it. She took a sip before dumping the glass out. Then nods "Sure, I'll help how I can." She says, knowing she could do the simply things, eventually she'd like to be able to make a meal on her own, but for now it was best to do the basic things. "What do you want?" She asks curiously tilting her head in Mila's general direction, at least the direction she thought she was in. Kat couldn't even remember what she had in her fridge, so she figured it was easier to let Mila choose what to eat.

Her hand lowered and Nitro nuzzled into it, making Kat smile as she rubs the big dog's head. She thought absently about her life and she knew that she was going to drop out of college, there was no point in it anymore. Though she didn't know what she was going to do instead. Maybe eventually she'd return to college, but at the moment, it was hard enough to try and live, let alone go to college and try and get homework done and get to classes.

"Aw I dunno. Something simple." Mila hopped up off of the couch and padded over towards the refrigerator. She opened it up and peeked around inside. "Let's see what you've got in here. Umm...looks like...you have leftovers that need to be thrown away in hazardous materials containers. Blech...hot dogs. Hmm... does beer count as food? It has barley or wheat in it...right?" Mila smirked as she thudded around the fridge, opening drawers and moving things around until finally she found something edible. "Hah! How about grilled cheese and some tomato soup?" The brunette took the cheese out of the refrigerator and set it down by the table.

Next she started searching through cupboards to find some sort of soup. She could've sworn she'd seen some in there last time...hah! Found it! She grabbed the tomato soup and set it down on the counter top, the metal can clicking against it as she set it down so hopefully Kat had heard where she had put it down.

"Think you can handle finding the can opener and opening up the soup?" Mila asked as she scooted around Kat so that she could get out a frying pan and a pot for the soup.

Kat listened to Mila, knowing that her fridge sounded like that of a guy living on his own, which only amused Kat. Then nods "Sure that sounds good." She says, then nods again. She thought hard about where she kept the can opener, before beginning to search for one. Upon finding it, she found the only can on the counter and began opening it. She managed to do it fairly easy, and even didn't cut herself when she removed the sharp lid. She smiled in success before asking "Is the pan out?" wanting to dump the soup in, if it was out, that way the soup could get going, knowing it would take longer to cook than the grilled cheeses would.

Kat found it easier to do things, with Mila around, knowing she'd stop her if Kat was going to do anything that would hurt herself or cause too much damage. She felt Nitro bump against her and Kat firmly order him to leave the kitchen so that he wouldn't be in the way and faintly she heard the dog leave and lay down some where in the living room.

Mila kept glancing over at Kat as she started to butter the bread and assemble the soon-to-be-grilled cheese sandwiches. A small part of her was nervous that her best friend might cut herself on the lid, but she was relieved that the other girl managed to get it off without any trouble. "Uh huh. The pot's right on the top right burner; the frying pan for the grilled cheeses is on the bottom left. The heat is on and the handle is facing you for the pot." Mila had picked a pot that was a little bigger than necessary, just so that neither of them had to worry about Kat spilling tomato soup all over the place.

"Awww...he just wants some cheese. Dont'cha buddy?" Mila said as Nitro was banished from the kitchen. She had a -really- bad habit of sneaking Nitro and every other dog that she had ever come into contact with human food. She couldn't help it...it was one of the reasons she couldn't have a dog, she was a huge sucker for begging, puppy dog eyes. Plus it was sad! They had to eat the same ol' dog food every day. She'd probably explode if she had to eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"Do you want to try cooking the grilled cheeses by yourself too? They're all put together, just need to go into the pan." Mila had turned around, back leaning up on the kitchen counter top as she watched Kat work with the tomato soup.

Kat bit her lip as she hesitantly reached for the pot, knowing at some point as she began cooking again, blind, that she would burn herself, but she wanted to hold off on that as much as possible. Her hand bumped the handle and she smiled, lifting the can of soup, she rested it on the lip of the pot to dump it in, so far so good. Kat shook her head "He just knows he can sucker you into giving him scraps." She says, despite Mila trying to be sneaky about it, Kat had caught on rather quickly to her friend's bad habit, though she didn't try to stop it, simply subtly informed her friend of the foods that were toxic to dogs.

Kat shrugs "Sure I can give it a shot, though I can't promise I won't burn it." She says, reaching out to find the sandwiches, lifting one and then finding the pan, she set it in before repeating it with the second one, but this time her finger hit the bottom of the pan as she set it down and Kat yelped and yanked her hand back "Damn it," She snarls, shaking her hand a bit, the burn was very mild, and would likely jsut leave a small blister, but it certainly hurt for the first few minutes.

"Luckily for you, I have many years experience eating burnt food." Mila said with a little giggle. Her father was probably the -worst- cook on the planet. And whenever he tried to 'help' her mom by cooking dinner, it always ended up with the family eating meat that had been cooked so long it bordered on being classified as jerky that came with delicious sides such as burnt rice or spaghetti with burnt tomato sauce. Whatever Kat was about to do to the grilled cheeses was probably no worse than anything she had to eat during vacations at home. So far her friend was doing a good job making lunch on her own...at least until she touched the bottom of the frying pan.

"Come on, under the water with it." Mila's voice was in a tone that didn't leave room for argument. She'd taken enough odd jobs in kitchens and bakeries to know that Kat's skin and nerves were still cooking even though she had removed her hand from the hot surface. So Mila took hold of the hand that had the burnt finger and guided Kat towards the sink where she turned on the cold water and held her friend's hand under the icey stream for a moment. After a couple of seconds it clicked that she didn't have to hold Kat's hand anymore and she abruptly let go, a pink flush coming to her cheeks.

"I'm ah...just...going to just keep an eye on the food." With that, she grabbed a spatula and moved over towards the stovetop so that she could flip the grilled cheeses and stir the tomato soup.

Why the hell did she suddenly feel so embarrassed about holding Kat's hand? She used to do it all the time...

Kat let Mila lead her towards the sink and hold her hand under the cold water. The water stung a bit against the blistering flesh, but after a moment it felt good. When Mila abruptly let go of her hand, Kat could here a slightly strange tone in her friend's voice when she said she was going to watch the food. "Okay," She murmurs, hearing her move across the kitchen as Kat held her hand under the water for another few moments before fumbling for the handle to turn it off. Kat even managed to find the towel without too much trouble, then she decided to find the bowls, small plates and spoons, for them to eat with.

Kat thought back to a few moments ago, wondering what Mila had let go of her hand so fast. Of course Kat hadn't needed her to hold her hand under the water, but that wasn't to say that she didn't enjoy Mila's touch. And it wasn't like touching was rare for them, they were constantly touching; brushing arms, a hand on one's back, playfully pushing each other, linking arms, so Kat wondered why Mila had seemed flustered as she'd let go. But Kat didn't bring it up, why bother? Kat set the dishes down and the spoons beside the bowls before opening the fridge "What do you want to drink?" She asks, trying to remember what she had, she knew she had beer, milk, a couple cans of pop. Kat's hand found a can of pop and she decided to go with that for herself, though she had no clue what flavor it was.

What the hell is wrong with you?!?!?!? Ugh...fuck if she knew. All she knew was that her cheeks were still burning and she was -really- glad that Kat couldn't see it. Maybe it was what the nurse said last night that was rattling her. 'You have 10 minutes to say goodnight to your -girlfriend.-' Or maybe it was the growing teasing she got from the rugby girls because she didn't have a date to Formal which was next month. Well, she -never- had a proper date to any Formal in the three years she had been playing. But her teammates had finally noticed that Mila didn't do the whole dating thing. And Mila herself was starting to notice that too. She had plenty of guy friends that were cute and sweet but...eh... she'd rather spend time with Kat and Nitro than get pawed at by any of them.

"Hmm? Oh...water is fine for me." Mila was drawn out of her musings by Kat's question. She shook her head a bit to try to clear out the last of her stray thoughts and then began to plate the grilled cheeses and ladle out the soup. "Alright! Everything's all set." Her voice resumed it's more cheerful tone as she took a seat at the table so that they could eat.

Kat nods, attempting to fill a cup of water, this time she didn't spill water all over the place, she paid more attention to the sound of the water as it filled. She carried both drinks over to the table, bumping into it slightly before sitting down. "Thanks for helping." she says as she opens the can of pop, taking a drink before lifting her grilled cheese and taking a bite of it. Kat then shifted her attention to trying to eat soup, hoping she wouldn't make too much of a mess. She only spilled a little bit as she started eating, quickly getting the hang of how to eat soup without seeing. Kat actually ate fairly quickly, she'd gotten so tired of hospital food and eager to eat actual food.

"So what are you planning on doing the rest of the day?" She asks curiously as she lets her head look in Mila's general direction, her eyes looking at her friend, even if those eyes didn't see anything.

"You're welcome." Mila's words came out slightly muffled from a half chewed bite of grilled cheese that she promptly downed with a gulp of water. She was staarrrvvviinnnggg. In her rush to get ready for classes this morning she had totally forgotten to eat breakfast. Slate grey eyes looked up from her plate just in time to see Kat trying to get the tomato soup into her mouth. The brunette giggled softly; it was kinda funny to watch. "You almost look like Nitro trying to eat the water from a garden hose," the taller girl teased with a grin on her lips. Though since Kat couldn't see that she was smiling, Mila patted her friend's hand lightly to signal that she was playing around.

"Ahhh...nothing really. Skipping Ceramics as of half an hour ago. But I'll probably go to rugby practice at 6:30. Do you want me to come back after practice? Orrrr you can hang out on the field or do our warm-ups...probably shouldn't let people take you to the ground with your chem burns still a little open though. And we can bring Nitro and I'm sure he'd like to run around the field and chase the balls." Mila didn't see much reason why Kat couldn't try to pick up the physical things she used to do again. Her eyes were broken, not her legs! Plus there were tons of blind athletes. Well...maybe not -tons-, but such people definitely did exist.

Mila was quiet for a moment. She knew that -she- was skipping classes...what the hell was Kat doing with hers? "Do you have any classes you want to try to get to? It's only 2 o'clock."

Kat laughs at Mila's assessment of her eating skills "Oh thanks," She grins, as she finished eating. Then nods "Yeah, I think I'd like to go with, obviously just to hang out, but I'm sick of being cooped up all the time." She says wanting to get out for a while, and though she couldn't watch anymore, she could still listen. "I'm sure he'd love to come with." She says, leaning back in her chair, relaxing as she took a small drink of her pop. Then Kat shrugs "I'm gonna drop out, at least for now. Maybe I'll go back eventually, but for now, I need to focus on how to live my life like this." She muses softly. Kat needed to learn to read braille and how to move around the house and the city on her own, hopefully eventually with Nitro guiding her.

"Are you finished? I can load the dishwasher." She offers as she stands up, picking up her plate and bowl and holding a hand out for Mila's dishes, if she was finished eating. Kat made her way to the dishwasher, remembering that it was in fact dirty. She found it rather easy to load the dish washer, which pleased Kat, since it was the first thing she hadn't had difficulty doing.

"Really? You're gonna drop out?" Mila's brows rose in surprise. If Kat dropped out, did that mean she was going to go move back home too since there was nothing keeping her here? Mila hoped not...but she could see Nick and Kim trying to take her back home if that was the case. "Yeah...I'm done, thanks." The brunette handed her friend off her dirty dishes and watched her as she dealt with the dishwasher. Kat was doing pretty well...why did she have to drop out of school?

"Kat...you could go to Accommodative Services and they'll get you someone to read your your tests and stuff, you know? Maybe even give you a tutor if you've fallen behind. And you could audio record your classes instead of taking notes. And...and... I don't want you to go back home..." Mila said the last part rather softly. She was now convinced that if Kat dropped out, then she'd go home to be around family that could help support her as she learned to live without her sight. Kat and her had been around each other for forever, she couldn't imagine spending two semesters somewhere without her best friend. Part of her knew normal people grew up and grew apart; hell Mila was totally separated from her 3 siblings for 8 months out of the whole year right now. But something about losing Kat felt way worse.

"I ah...I know it's -your- decision...I just want you to be sure..." Mila added at the end. Whatever choices Kat made, she'd always support them.

Kat returned to sit down, listening to Mila's suggestions instead of dropping out, and at her last soft statement, Kat smiled gently. "I'm not going home, even if I drop out. I like it here, I like being close to you, and I like the smaller living space, instead of the big house my aunt and uncle live in." She says quietly. She couldn't imagine going across the state and being so far away from Mila. They had intentionally picked a college they could both attend, simply to prevent having to live far from each other. Hell, they'd live in the same dorm, if Kat hadn't insisted on bringing Nitro to college with her and being forced to live off campus.

"I do want to go to college again eventually, I just need to decide what to go for, and how to go to class." She muses as she takes another drink of her pop as her eyes look in Mila's direction. Kat idly thought about what she wanted to do with her life, being a cop was out, of course, but maybe there was some sort of law degree she could get that would still let her be in that world, even if it wasn't as a cop.

"Alright...good. I like being close to you too." Mila's voice sounded much more relieved now that Kat had soothed her fears about leaving. She was still unsure about how their relationship was going to change now that Kat's vision was gone. But Mila hoped that her sometimes stubborn friend wouldn't be too proud to ask for help. "Well...whatever you do with school, I'll help you anyway I can. Maybe I'll be a famous artist and fund your schooling the second time around." Mila giggled softly at the thought. She had gotten into an MFA program but was unsure if she was going to go the starving artist route or do something a little more stable like teach. But what came after college was another hurtle for another time; she was sure Kat would be wandering that path with her anyways. Her best friend was like her other half. Well...maybe not like her other half, Mila was pretty whole without her, just Kat made her much, much better.

"Sooooo what do you want to do for the next four hours? Google what you can do with the rest of your life? Maybe go buy some food so your fridge doesn't look like a scuzzy hipster's fridge? Take Nitro for a walk? Orrrr we could play a game...I could poke a buncha holes in a deck of cards and we could play some blind poker together."

Back
Top Bottom