Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Best Friend x Blind Best Friend ( Semper x Javorcek)

Semper Fi

Supernova
Katherine Doyle sat in a hospital room, even though she was wide awake she couldn't see a single thing. She had been in chemisty class a few days ago, she'd turned suddenly and bumped into someone who'd been carrying acid, which had spilled all over her face, getting into her eyes. Since then she hadn't been able to see at all. Now here she sat, bandages over her eyes and parts of her face where the acid had burned her skin, she'd be getting out of the hospital in a couple of days. Though Kat wasn't so sure she'd enjoy that right away, after all she'd have to change everything about her life in order to compensate for her injury. An injury the doctor's said she'd likely never recover from. She hated that she'd never see again, that she would forever look into darkness, that she'd always be hesitant when she walked, afraid that she'd bump into something or trip. Kat lifted a hand to flick a strand of her burgundy streaked mahogany hair out of her face as she sat there bored. Her best friend would coming over soon, and Kat couldn't wait.

It got tiresome being alone so much. She was use to always having company, whether it was a friend, or her dog, a big German shepherd whom was home alone at the moment, Kat had asked Mila to stop by and take care of him twice a day, until she got out of the hospital. Kat tapped her fingers against her legs, trying to figure out what to do, she couldn't watch TV, couldn't read and couldn't sketch. Couldn't even go for a walk. What the hell was she suppose to do? At 5'6" and athletically built, Kat seemed pretty small, though she had enough attitude and sass to make up for it. She played every sport imaginable as a hobby, and she wondered if she'd be able to do that again. Would she be able to play basketball with a group a friends? Go for a morning jog with her dog? Would she even be able to live alone anymore? She didn't know the answer to any of those questions. She tilts her head when she hears foot steps at her door. "Hello?" She asks curiously as she sat cross legged on the hospital bed, in a hospital gown which she was sure was very unflattering against her copper colored skin. Her head turned towards the door as she waited to hear who was at the door.

Willa+Holland+photo.jpg

Mila Javorcek was pretty sure she was going to pass out and die as she rode her bike up the horribly massive hill that the hospital was seated on top of. The brunette was a fairly athletic girl, but this hill was growing to be the bane of her existence. She had visited her best friend every day since her accident during chem. lab and climbing the small mountain with her bicycle was -still- a pain in the ass. But no one should have to be in the hospital alone. If she could have, she would’ve spent the nights with Kat to keep her company. Unfortunately she had to take care of her friend’s dog and go to her own classes…plus the up-tight nurses always shooed out Mila promptly at 9pm since she wasn’t family. She may as well have been, the girls had been best friends for as long as Mila could remember!

With a sigh of relief that she was –finally- here, she chained her bicycle up to the rack outside of the main door and wiped the sweat from her brow. She trotted inside, already a pro at navigating the large hospital. Up to her friend’s room she went and right as she reached up to knock on the door, Kat was already asking who was there.

“Already getting some super awesome hearing powers huh.” Mila’s lips curved into a little smile as she moved over towards her friend. “Just me…hope you’re feeling better. I um…brought you something to help pass the time for the next day or two.” The lithe brunette sat down on the edge of her friend’s bed and took hold of the other girl’s hand, then pressed an MP3 player into it. “I put some audio books on there for you. It might take a little clicking around but I know you’ll be able to figure it out. And I’m giving you an encouraging smile, so ah…yeah.” Mila gave a little awkward laugh. It was slowly starting to click that Kat could no longer see her gestures or facial expressions anymore.

Kat smiles, hearing Mila's voice. "Hey," She greets as she hears Mila approach. It was fairly true, her hearing had been getting better over the last few days, and she knew she'd come to appreciate it later. Kat carefully scooted over to give her friend room to sit down, and grinned when she felt the MP3 player, "Thank you, I'm about to loose my mind in here." She laughs softly "Luckily the doc says I should be able to go home tomorrow, or possibly the next day. He's gonna take the bandages off tomorrow and see what my eyes look like." She says. She wondered how freaky her eyes looked now. They'd always seemed a little spooky, being such a pale grey that occasionally they seemed colorless and now being sightless she was sure at times they could look pretty freaky.

"How was class? And how was Nitro?" She asks, speaking of her black German shepherd, whom had been Kat's near constant companion since she'd gotten the dog for her 18th birthday, four years ago. Kat leaned over carefully to set the MP3 player on the bedside table. After chatting with Mila for a few minutes, she'd definitely want to go for a walk, since she'd been cooped up in the room since the last time Mila had visited. She didn't yet have the guts to try and go for a walk on her own, too afraid she'd get lost in the large hospital. But she knew she'd have to learn how to travel on her own, since she was determined to eventually be able to be independent again.

“That’s great Kat! Just let me know what time he’s going to do it. That way I can come by and take you home.” She gently patted her friend’s hand, knowing that she had probably had her fill of laying in a hospital bed. The bandages coming off tomorrow would be good; she was curious to see what the acid had done to her best friend’s eyes. Mila had always adored Kat’s very light grey orbs. While other people grew nervous from her best friend’s eerily pale gaze, Mila was used to it and thought her eyes were beautiful.

So…maybe she had a –little- crush on her best friend. But that was kind of a secret. She’d never actually confess how much she loved having those grey eyes look into her own slate colored orbs; or admit to the thrill she got every time Kat looked at her.

“Classes were okay I guess…Jennings was a dick to me during crit. Still doesn’t like my work, but whatever.” Photography was probably the least favorite of her classes. She felt like it required more luck than anything else. But it was required for her major so Mila was stuck taking it. “And I tried to draw Nitro earlier but he wouldn’t sit still! But other than that he’s been good. He misses you…I wish they didn’t have all this ‘No Pets’ stuff so I could bring him by. I’m sure he’ll be very excited for you to go home.” Mila always did love playing with Nitro. But the big dog had soooooo much energy, she didn’t know how Kat dealt with him all the time. The brunette wouldn’t mind coming by though and helping with him even after Kat was out of the hospital. She was usually over at her friend’s place several times a week anyways.

“Sooo…what do you want to do? Do you want to go out for a walk? It’s pretty nice outside if we can sneak you out past the wardens.” Part of her felt like the nurses would be very grumpy if she took Kat outside though…especially if she was dressed in nothing but her hospital gown.

Kat smiles, listening to Mila's voice, she'd always liked the sound of it, but more so now, and her best friend was her link to the outside world, while she was trapped here. She laughs when she mentions Nitro's energy, "Yeah, I'm sure he's bouncing off the walls, he's use to a four mile jog everyday." She says, and she wasn't surprised when she said the dog missed her, she missed him too, more than she thought she would. She nods her head eagerly "I'd love to go for a walk, it sucks being cooped up so much." She says. And it was easy enough to go for a walk, she didn't have an IV or anything else attached to her. "If you could bring a change of clothes tomorrow, that would be awesome," She says as she carefully swings her legs off the side of the bed so that she could stand up. She found it interesting how off-balance she was, without her sight, there were definitely a lot of adjustments that would need to be made.

She stood up carefully, feeling her head whoosh a little, as usual, between the balance issues and the strong pain killers the doc had her on to combat the pain from the acid, she wasn't the steadiest on her feet, but it was better than yesterday and ten times better than the first day she tried to stand up. She found it kind of ironic to get this injury while in class, she was studying for her criminal justice degree, with plans to join the police force, the chem class had mostly just been for fun, and now she couldn't even be a cop, which made the degree and all her college classes useless. "I think the doc's planning on taking the bandages off around noon." She muses as she looks in Mila's general direction.

“Of course I’ll make sure to bring you something to wear. Promise to make sure it’s not something ridiculous.” A mischievous grin lit up her face; it was sort of tempting…just because Mila was a rather playful girl and liked to be a pain in Kat’s ass sometimes. But she’d have to help figure out a way to mark her best friend’s clothes so that she could get dressed without having to worry about what other people thought of her. Mila hopped off the edge of the mattress and out of Kat’s way as the other girl moved to stand. Her hands came up, spotting her friend as she got out of bed. The one time Mila had been in the hospital, she had fallen over because the painkillers had made her dizzy; but Kat seemed to be doing pretty well and was keeping her balance alright.

“Do you want a wheel chair or something? I saw some at the end of the hallway, I’m sure we can steal one for you if you want to go for a ride.” Mila asked as she glanced behind Kat to make sure that her gown was closed up all the way. Good…all the strings were laced tight on the gown; and Kat had on those silly socks with the grips on the bottom that hospitals always give their patients. All set to go, she hooked their arms together so that she could lead her sightless friend around. Only an inch taller than Kat, it was a rather comfortable position to be in and one they had been in before on drunken nights when neither of them could walk home straight.

Kat laughs, she hadn't thought of that Mila could basically dress her in whatever she wanted. She shook her head "Nah, I don't need a wheelchair, I think I'm okay." She says, though she was grateful for Mila helping make sure she didn't bash into things as they began to walk. "Is it nice outside? I'd love to go outside." She says with a smile as they walked down the hallway. "Miss Doyle! Where exactly do you think you are going?" One of the rather cranky nurses asks, making Kat nearly jump out of her skin. This nurse wouldn't put it past the two young college students to try and sneak out and was surprised that they hadn't tried already.

Kat smiles, turning in the general direction of the woman's voice. "Just for a walk outside, Nurse Linda." She says in her politest, 'reserved for annoying elders' voice. The nurse sighs, watching the pair with narrowed eyes, before looking at Mila "No overdoing it, her painkillers are still going strong in her system." She warns Kat's companion, before letting the pair continue towards the elevator.

“Yeah it’s really nice outside. Little breezy and chilly in the shade, but it’s perfect in the sun.” Mila jumped as the nurse called out to them. They had been so close to freedom! It’s like the cranky old woman had waited until they were lulled into a sense of safety before bursting their bubble and scaring the bejesus out of them with her gravely voice. Mila smiled nervously at the woman…thank goodness Kat was dealing with her. Mila didn’t do well with strangers; especially ones that gave her such a disapproving glare. “Don’t worry, I’ll take good care of her.” She assured the nurse before leading Kat into the elevator and pushing the button for the lobby.

“Sooo…you’re going to give me a warning before you keel over, right? I know CPR but I doubt you’d want me to be the one doing it to you.” Mila asked as soon as the doors closed. She wasn’t particularly nervous about Kat passing out. They’d be right by the hospital after all, wasn’t like she’d have to go far to get her friend help!

Mila led them through a couple of long hallways. If this wasn’t her 4th time at the hospital, she probably would’ve gotten them lost. But by now she was pretty comfortable with the place’s layout. Out the sliding glass doors they went and into the cool autumn day. She led Kat towards a nice patch of sun on the sidewalk so that she could get warmed up and didn’t get to chilly in her hospital gown.

Kat laughs "I'm not going to keel over," She grins as they ride down the elevator. Though she wasn't so sure Mila was right about Kat not wanting her to be the one doing CPR. Kat would admit that the subtle, hardly noticeable crush she had on her best friend had grown massively in the last few years, though she hid it very well she wished she could say something to Mila. But what would she say? It'd taken her years to work up the courage to even tell her best friend that she had a curiosity about girls, how could she try and tell her that she half in love with her? She was sure it would send Mila running.

When they stepped outside Kat sighed, enjoying the fresh air, the sun felt wonderful. Almost everything felt different, she was so much more sensitive now to feelings, and sounds. She never realized just how much noise there always was going on, she was good at tuning it out until she lost her sight, now she relied on it so much. "It feels amazing out here." She says softly, Kat was by nature a very outdoorsy person, and she got antsy if she was inside too long, she'd been going stir-crazy in there, especially when the nurses told her it would be unlikely that they'd have time to take her outside, unless she had a visitor who could. "I can't wait to get out of here and go home." She say, tilting her head in Mila's direction.

Mila smiled a bit as she noticed the immediate change that seemed to go through Kat once they were both outside. Her friend's face brightened up and she looked happy once again. Well...a lot happier anyways since the accident in the lab. Mila didn't think she'd be taking the news of losing her sight as well as her friend was taking it. As an art major her entire life and passion revolved around being able to see. But she supposed Kat could make it work. She was a strong girl.

"Hey I was thinking, maybe if we dunk you in some radioactive chemicals you could be like Daredevil. Get some super powers or something to go with your lack of sight." Mila was a bit of a dork. But she couldn't help but think of her athletic friend that had wanted to be a cop as a blind crime fighter now. But okay, so maybe the radioactive chemicals were a bad idea...but perhaps Kat could go the law school route to do something with her criminal justice major.

A gentle breeze rolled over them and Mila urged Kat a little tighter against her so that she wouldn't get cold. This was nice...really nice. And for a moment she wished she wasn't so much of a chicken shit so she'd be able to tell Kat how much she liked being this close to her. But instead of confessing any sort of feelings she had for her childhood buddy, she just kept leading her friend along on their little stroll, her own grey eyes glued to the ground to watch for bumps or irregularities in the side walk that Kat might trip over.

Kat laughs, she'd admit that Mila was sometimes a dork, but it was one of the many reasons she loved her. "Oh yeah, after my last adventure with chemicals that sounds like it would end well." She snickers, playfully teasing her friend. She willingly moved closer to Mila at the breeze, though it wasn't so much because she was cold as she simply too advantage of the chance to be close to her. But she had to focus her attention on walking and not tripping over her own two feet or simply the ground under her. "I wonder how hard it's going to be, when I go home, to try and live alone." She muses out loud as they walk.

She would admit to herself that she was nervous about going home, what if she couldn't handle living alone? She didn't want to move back with her aunt and uncle, who'd raised her since she was seven, when her parents had abandoned her and she'd never heard from them again. Kat hadn't even told her aunt and uncle about the accident yet, because she didn't want them hovering and fussing, as much as she loved them. "I don't know how I'm going to do anything I use to do. Hell, I can't even walk without nearly tripping and falling flat on my face." She mutters, partly joking and partly serious.

Kat found herself listening to a lot of different sounds that she wouldn't have heard otherwise, the sounds of a wheelchair's squeaky wheels, the cars going by on the road, even the birds chirping, all things that use to be background noise where now the center of her world.

"Oh don't blame how clutzy you are on your blindness." Mila teased, trying to keep things light. Serious stuff was always hard for her...making jokes was her coping mechanism. But she supposed Kat didn't need jokes right now, her best friend probably needed some encouragement. So after a moment or two if silence as she tried to get the sentences in her head right, Mila finally spoke up again. "You're not going to do it alone...you know? I'm right here if you need me. And I'm sure your aunt and uncle will be more than happy to rush over and help. Plus you're going to be fine doing the stuff you used to do. You'll get a stick to keep you from tripping and walking into things so you won't always have to be guided around by me. You already know your way around campus and all the doors have brail markings that you just have to learn to read. You'll do fine Kat." Mila gently patted her friend's arm. She truly did believe that Kat would be able to do this.

"Hey, maybe we can have Nitro take some seeing eye dog classes and he can help too." The brunette suggested before stopping them at the corner of where the hospital's driveway and the hill that lead back down towards campus was. She gently guided Kat to go back around the way they came. She didn't want Nurse Linda sending out a search party after them if they strayed too far away.

Kat chuckles at her teasing, before falling silent, listening to her friend. "Thanks, and I certainly don't need my aunt and uncle rushing across the state to help." She smirks. Though Mila was right, Kat would need to learn to read again, and it wouldn't a half bad idea for Nitro to learn to help out. The dog would do anything for Kat, so she couldn't imagine it being too difficult to teach him things. She turned in the direction Mila guided her towards, knowing they were heading back now, which was probably a good thing, the pain killers meant that Kat couldn't go long before getting tired, she couldn't wait to be off the heavy drugs. "So anything exciting happening on campus?" She asks curiously, finding it odd that she was so out of the loop on things, sure a couple other friends stopped by but they didn't stay long.

Kat tilted her face up towards the sky, feeling the sun's warmth, enjoying it much more than she ever thought she could. If KAt had it her way, she'd lay in the grass until the sun started to set, but Nurse Linda would surely disapprove of that, and Kat wasn't sure Mila could stay that long, and Kat really only felt safe being outside right now if Mila was around, she trusted her best friend implicitly, a fact that she has tested these past few days.

"Nah...nothing cool. Got a rugby game coming up this weekend. Least you won't have to see me get pummeled into the ground anymore." Mila's parents had sort of freaked out when she had joined the rugby team; its a bit of a violent sport. Standing at 5'7" and weighing only 130lbs, she was a little on the scrawny side to be playing a full contact sport. The largest girl on their team stood well over 6ft and was over 200lbs; getting hit by Sarah was like getting hit by a freight train. But Mila was pretty fast and had a couple of anger issues from repressing her taboo sexual orientation. Her parents were pretty Catholic, being gay wasn't really something that would go down well with them. So rugby was pretty good for all the emotions she couldn't get out through her art.

"Oh and everyone's pretty excited for Halloween coming up, we got invited to a couple of parties but that's about it." Sometimes they were like a couple already...always getting invited to things as a pair rather than individually. But since they had been best friends for so long, she supposed it was kind of inevitable that people would treat them as a set.

Mila reluctantly led them back through the hallways and towards the elevator. She didn't like that hospital...it smelled funny, like sterile air and sick people. Plus the sound of machines beeping and oxygen tanks made her cringe. She would've loved to spend all day outside with Kat...but she knew that her friend would probably not have a ton of energy due to the narcotics she was on.

"You want me to stick around awhile? At least until they kick me out..."

Kat grins, it was always fun watching Mila play rugby, occasionally KAt would even join in, when it was just for fun and not an official game. And while Kat had enjoyed it when she played, she much preferred to watch Mila as she played. "We should probably come up with our costumes." She muses, finding it amusing that they were basically a unit now, people just knew, where one went, the other followed, it'd been that way since first grade, and Kat didn't expect it to change anytime soon.

"I'd love for you to hang around for a while." She says as they moved back into her room. She let go of Mila reluctantly wanting to try and walk across the room to the bed on her own. Sh'ed admit it was a freaky sensation of simply walking into the pitch black that she saw. She bumped into the bed when she got to it and she sat down carefully, then stretched out on the bed, patting the open space for Mila to sit or lay down with her. Being friends so long meant they were pretty comfortable in each other's space, as kids they were often found curled up sleeping together, and when they were older and group sleepovers, if space was limited they'd share a couch or a air mattress.

It certainly felt good to lay down, as much as she liked being active, she got tired far too quickly lately. "Thanks, by the way, for coming up everyday, I'm pretty sure I would've gone crazy if you'd hadn't." She says looking over to where she thought her friend was.

"Yeah...gotta think up something pretty kick ass this year." Although Mila was an idiot when it came to doing her hair and makeup in her day to day life, she was very good at using stage make up and building costumes. Thank God for good genetics that made her hair behave and her face not need a ton of makeup to be on the cute side. But ah...at least she'd be able to help design and implement whatever costumes her and her best friend could think up and agree on.

Mila watched quietly as her friend carefully picked her way towards the bed. Although she really wanted to help, she knew Kat had to figure this stuff out on her own. But at least she could stay near her friend to make sure nothing bad happened. A smile came to her lips as she found the bed without further injury. As Kat patted the edge of her mattress, Mila didn't lay down next to her and instead just sat on the side by her. As much as she would've liked to snuggle up next to Kat, she'd pass out if she did. Between rugby practice, working on her sculptures to try to get ready for the art show next month, taking care of Nitro, and trying to come visit Kat was much as she could, the brunette was running herself a little ragged.

Ugh...damn that hill that separated campus and the hospital!!

Mila yawned a bit and waved her had dismissively as Kat thanked her for coming by. It's just what best friends do after all: be there for each other when they're needed the most. But then, remembering that her friend couldn't see a damn thing, she spoke up. "It's not a big deal...you know I love hanging out with you anyways."

Kat smiles at her words and hears her yawning "You sound tired," She muses, frustrated that she couldn't see her friend's face, she gauged Mila's emotions and attitude so much by her facial expressions, and now she had only her tone of voice to go by, which made it more difficult to really know how her friend was feeling. The bed was tilted up so that Kat could lean back against the front half of the bed and still be mostly sitting, just reclined a little. Kat reached out carefully along the bedside table, past the MP3 player to the glass of water, she lifted it carefully and brought it to her lips, taking a long slow drink.

Soon a nurse came in to take Kat's order for dinner and ask if Mila wanted anything to eat or drink, she also gave Kat her next round of painkillers, which Kat reluctantly took. The dosage was down as they were weaning her off slowly, to make sure that her pain would be manageable on over the counter painkillers and so far so good, much to Kat's relief. The nurse refilled Kat's water for her and disappeared soon after that. "That one is the only nice one." Kat chuckles, speaking of Nurse Rebecca that just left the room, so far she'd been the only real friendly nurse that Kat had come into contact with during her stay.

"Yeah...I am a little tired." Mila confessed as she let loose another yawn. Uggghhh...sleeeeeeeeeep. "It's fine though...I got it. I'll just sleep a ton over the weekend and be all set." For now she just blinked her eyes a couple of times to chase the tiredness out of them. She smiled a bit and lightly pat Kat's thigh...she was unsure of how else to convey a smile except through some sort of touch. When the nurse came by she said she'd just have the same thing Kat was getting so that the nurse didn't have to remember two separate orders. The oldest of 4 kids, Mila's parents had raised them all to not be picky eaters and be thankful for what was given to them. The only thing extra that she wanted was a cup of coffee since she needed to be awake in order to ride her bike back to the dorms later.

Ah crap...she couldn't even go straight home after this. She'd have to stop by Kat's place again and check on Nitro when she got kicked out of here. Mila just had to let him out and make sure he wasn't throwing a tantrum or growing too lonely. At least Nitro usually woke her up with puppy kisses; hopefully she'd wake right up from all the dog slobber and wouldn't crash on the floor with him like she had last night. Though she was pretty sure he had purposefully withheld kisses yesterday in order to get her to fall asleep with him.

"Well...it's good you've got at least one cool nurse. So um...does it hurt? Like really bad still?" The bandages kept her from really seeing anything that was going on with Kat's eyes. She was curious to see how much of her friend's skin had been hit with the acid and what it had done to her already light eyes.

Kat ordered something basic off the hospital menu before the nurse left. Kat shrugged at Mila's question "Sometimes, usually when I try and rub my eyes, the bandages scrap against the skin. The doctor said the skin around my eyes was burned away some, so there's open wounds which the doc says will probably scar, and my eyes still ache most days." She says, though she didn't know it yet, her pale eyes had lost a bit more color, leaving them an even lighter shade of grey and a slight glassy appearance to them and the doctoer had already said that surgery likely wouldn't do a thing to help her vision. "You'll have to tell me what it looks like tomorrow." She says with a soft chuckle as she lounges on the bed.

Biting her lip she says "I should probably call my aunt and uncle, I'm sure they'll be mad that I waited five days to call them, but I dunno, it was almost easier to deal with it, with just you around." She says, Mila seemed so calm about everything, nothing really panicky after the first day, and she knew her aunt would be more than a bit hysterical and insist on trying to help with everything.

Mila nodded a little bit, her brow furrowed in concern as Kat explained that her eyes still did hurt a little bit. Would this be like phantom limb syndrome? Would Kat always feel pain around her eyes? Hopefully not...but still, the brunette was worried and for a moment she was especially glad that the other girl couldn't see her facial expressions. Kat knowing that Mila was freaking out a little on the inside wouldn't help the current situation one bit. Panic was contagious and as long as she stayed laid back as she always was, her best friend would feel cool and calm as well.

"Well...I'm sure it'll look fine when the bandages come off. You're beautiful Kat. Lil bit of puffiness around your eyes isn't going to change that." Mila tried to keep her voice sort of professional, devoid of her own attraction, and still soothing. It was the way she'd talk to a nervous model that wouldn't want to take off their robe. Just a little bit of encouragement to help calm any nerves about her appearance without the bandages.

"Yeah...you probably should call them. You can't hide this stuff forever you know? It'll be Thanksgiving break soon and this isn't something you can hide from them." Mila wriggled around on the bed as she wrestled her smartphone out of her front pocket and passed it off to Kat. "You can use Siri to call them...she likes you better than she likes me anyways." Blargh...stupid Siri...she never liked taking voice commands from Mila. But for whatever reason the aggravating program would do whatever the hell Kat wanted.

Kat laughs "She always has liked me better." She grins, taking the phone carefully. It had always been a source of entertainment for Kat, the fact that Mila couldn't get the voice cues to work but Kat could. She asked Siri to call her aunt and uncle, listening to it ring, grinning in Mila's direction, she hadn't had to repeat herself once. She bit her lip as she listened to it ring, admittedly nervous about talking to them. Her uncle answered the phone, for which she was grateful, he was always the calmer of the two.

"Hey Uncle Nick, um, I wanted to call and tell you that I had an accident in the Chem Lab." She says softly, listening to his wary question of "What kind of accident?" She fidgets "Well, I ran into a guy carrying a glass of acid, it spelled all over my face, it got into my eyes," She pauses "It blinded me, I can't see anything, and the doctor said it's highly unlikely if not impossible, that I'll ever see again." She says, listening to his stunned silence before he asked a couple more questions. She answered each one as best she could, until it got to, "When did this happen." When she told him in was five days ago, she could clearly hear the anger, though he didn't outwardly express it. "But I've had Mila here, and the doc says I can leave tomorrow." She says with a half smile.

They talked for nearly another ten minutes before hanging up. "They're gonna fly down this weekend." She says as she hands the phone back to her friend. "He obviously wasn't too thrilled that I waited so long. But better to tell him than Aunt Kim." She chuckles.

Mila rolled her eyes as her mutinous phone obeyed her best friend rather than it's owner. When Kat shot her a smug grin, she just punched her friend lightly in the bicep. "Wise ass" She muttered just low enough that her uncle couldn't hear. He'd probably start yelling at her if she swore. But now that Nick had answered, Mila went ahead and moved to lay down next to her friend while she carried on her phone conversation. Might as well try to get a little shut eye while she waited; plus that would give Kat some privacy without her having to leave. So those slate grey eyes drifted shut and Mila easily fell into a state that was somewhere between awake and dreaming. The brunette could probably fall asleep on a bed of nails as long as she was warm enough. And right now Kat was radiating the -perfect- amount of heat to make her drowsy.

"Mmmph..." Mila grunted as Kat raised her voice in a way that roused the brunette from her nap. She brought her hand up and grabbed at the phone dangling above her face and shoved it back into her front pocket. Then she inched herself closer to Kat to steal her body heat. Why the hell were hospital rooms always so cold? It's like they wanted you to be extra miserable during your stay; either that or slightly frozen so that you couldn't feel pain.

"Yeah well..at least they'll have a couple of days to cool off before coming down. I'm sure they won't still be upset when they get down here. They just love you...and are going to show that love by hovering over you and being a pain in your butt." Mila giggled at the thought of Kim and Nick tormenting Kat with their 'good intentions'. Hopefully their good intentions didn't include taking Kat back home; that would just be so brash with them halfway through the fall semester already.

Kat smiles when she realizes Mila is laying next to her and Kat shifted to lay beside her friend. It was rare now for them to lay so close to each other, but Kat loved it, she loved being close to Mila. "Yeah, I know, it's just sometimes they are too much," She murmurs as she snuggles against her friend, pulling the hospital blanket over the pair. Deep down she also hoped that her family didn't want to take her home, she'd rather be here, in class and around Mila then across the state and having to remember another house, instead of her tiny little apartment. Kat sighs softly, feeling perfectly content and safe here lying in the rather small hospital bed with Mila.

Luckily the nice nurse was on shift for the night, so she didn't immediately force Mila out when visitors had to leave. The nurse noticed how adorable the pair looked on the bed together and couldn't really bare to interrupt the pair. So she slipped away silently, letting the two have some more time together, it was easy for an outsider to see that the pair had a thing for each other even if they were telling each other about it.

Kat could feel herself drifting off to sleep beside her best friend, wishing that Mila could stay the night, even though she knew that she shouldn't, she had class in the morning and homework she probably needed to do yet tonight.

"Nooo...I'm gonna fall asleep if you attack me with the blanket." Mila's protest was rather weak considering she just ended up snuggling closer the second the blanket floated down ontop of her. She wouldn't really put up much of a fight if someone wanted to cuddle with her; especially if that someone was Kat. She always felt so comfortable around her best friend and had cuddled with her all the time. Well...at least until she had turned about 16 and her mom had yelled at her when she found them cuddling on the couch one day; saying that they were too old to be doing that sort of thing.

But far away from home, Mila didn't much care what her mother would say right now. All she knew was that laying next to Kat felt right at this moment. The brunette soon fell asleep right after Kat did, figuring that if the nurses wanted her to leave, they'd kick her out whenever. Although the taller girl had fallen asleep with her hands to herself, somehow she had managed to wrap herself up in Kat while they slept. Her arms were protectively laced around her friend and somehow their legs had ended up tangled together.

----

"Come on sweetie...wake up. I can't let you stay here any longer even though I'd love to let you." Nurse Rebecca gently shook the thin brunette's shoulder while keeping her voice as low as possible to not wake Kat up. Even though she would love to let the girl stay since she seemed to make her patient so happy, the new charge nurse that would be coming on would have her hide if she found out there were still visitors on the floor.

"Mmmph...what time is it?" Mila mumbled as she rubbed sleep from her eyes and looked around, trying to shake off that feeling that one gets when waking up in a strange place.

"2:50am. So you have 10 minutes to say goodbye to your girlfriend before the new charge nurse comes on." The nurse smiled kindly and then turned on her heel and left the brunette to gather her wits and get up.

Girlfriend? Mila looked down at a still sleeping Kat that was nestled in her arms. Heh...that nurse thinks we're -together-. Unwilling to dwell on whether or not she liked being thought of as Kat's girlfriend, she just gave her friend a hug before carefully untangling herself from her friend.

"I'll be back tomorrow. G'night." Mila whispered softly before tiptoeing out of the hospital room.

Kat didn't wake when the nurse woke up Mila and she slipped out of Kat's grasp, leaving silently. Kat snuggled into the warm spot that Mila left. She stayed asleep long into the morning until the nurse woke her up "You have an hour and a half until the doctor comes in to take the bandages off." The nurse says, setting Kat's breakfast down before leaving. Kat got up carefully to use the bathroom before returning to try and eat breakfast, which was admittedly a messy affair. She couldn't wait to get the bandages off and get released. She finished eating and went to stand by the window to soak up some sun while she waited for the doctor to come.

She hoped that Mila would be able to make it, but she wasn't sure, since she had classes, and she had no clue when she'd left last night, only knowing that she'd woken up alone this morning. Kat leaned against the window, enjoying the warmth. She knew she didn't have long until the doctor came, though since she couldn't see a clock she wasn't exactly sure how long she had.

Back
Top Bottom