Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

In Too Deep (Nico x KaGoroth)

Zavier had looked up from time to time, seeing Micah looking over Jenny. He felt no remorse for what he had done and almost took a sick pride in how much he had broken her and how easy it was. Zavier had tried to come up with an easy way to get to Liam but it wasn't going to be as easy as he had hoped now he had violated the only person Liam cares about. There was one option open to him now but it was going to be very dangerous and would leave both him and Micah open to attack. The twins were the only thing that Zavier was concerned about and if he could take them out first then Zavier knew he would be able to get at Liam without risk of getting killed in the process. Zavier knew that if Liam found out were he was he would send the twins and wouldn't come himself and decided to set up a trap for them. He knew it was unlikly they would fall for the trap at the door but her could use that to his advantage as they would have to come in slowly, which would give Zavier a chance to strike first.

As he went over various plans he heard Micah speak, looking up and over to Jenny Zavier grinned as he saw her weakened condition. He stood up and walked towards them and grabbed Micah's wrist and cuffed him to the pipe "Just in case you get any more bright ideas" He then removed Jenny's restraints and picked her up and placed her in the chair that Micah had been tied to. Tying her wrists behind her back and her ankles to the chair legs before moving back to the table and placing various tools on the table. Zavier then moved to a locked cabinet and unlocked it, removing a large serrated bowie knife and placing it down on the table. He sttod in front of Jenny and looked down at her. "Your going to read what's written on the paper I'm about to hand you and then your going to shut your mouth. If you tell Liam what happened or say anything other than what's written down I will put the phone on your lap and let him hear the sound of me cutting out your tongue." His words were spoken with and emotionless tone as he stared at her and called Liam. "Listen to me you piece of shit, your wife has a message for you. Listen carefully or your going to cost her an ear" He held the phone to her ear and the paper close so she could read it. "Read it bitch" She looked up at Zavier then to the paper.

"Liam, you have betrayed Zavier and have caused me to be in the situation I'm in now. You will be responsible for what happens to me next" She looks up at Zavier with a look of fear in her eyes. Zavier raises his hand and connects a vicious slap to her face and speaks in an aggressive tone as she cries out in pain. "I didn't say look at me, I said read the fucking note" There are sounds of shouting on the other end of the phone as Zavier placed it back at her ear and held the note in front of her again. "Come to the apartment you stole his files and face him like a man or He is going to send you parts of me starting with my tongue." She starts crying and Zavier hangs up the phone.

"So you can do as your told if your properly motivated. Unless you want another taste of what you had on the table I would highly suggest you do as your FUCKING TOLD!" Zavier cuts her restraints and drags her by her hair and almost throws her back onto the matres next to Micah. He removes the cuffs of Micah and puts them back on Jenny. Looking down at Micah he throws him a wet wash cloth. "Calm her down and clean her up then come to the table, we have work to do if we are to get out of this alive. It's not looking bright at the moment so you may want make use of her before we get things going." Zavier grins as he walks over to the table and starts thinking over his plan to get the twins and Liam.

Zavier's threat on Jenny's tongue had him clamping his own mouth shut and sitting still as well, crouched next to the pipe he was cuffed to. The phone call was over relatively quickly, but it felt like it had taken forever for Jenny to read the note and the threat. He had closed his eyes against the anger in his brother's voice and the fear in Jenny's, only to feel the weight of a body fall onto the mattress beside him, and hands work the cuff off his wrist to shove him away. He watched Jenny tremble with hiccuping of sobs on the mattress as he caught the wash cloth Zavier threw him, looking down at it, and then bristling at his brother's words.

"I'm not 'making use' of her! Unlike you, I don't find pleasure in sex with the unwilling," he growled, then turned his head, looking down at Jenny's tear-stained face. He reached out with the cloth to wipe her puffy face.

"Don't touch me!" she hissed, though her sobbing voice was barely more than a whisper, "Crawl back to your brother; be his fucking puppet."

Micah ground his teeth and whispered just as quietly back, "I'm not his puppet."

"You're right, you aren't even that are you? You don't mean shit to him. He can get rid of you whenever he pleases."

A shiver of dread ran up Micah's spine at her whisper, and he turned his head away. Jenny took this as confirmation and continued on,

"You little pig. You like seeing people tortured, just like him."

"No, I don't," Micah shook his head to his broken whisper. Her words struck him like bullets.

"Yes, you do, you helped him!"

"No! You're wrong!" his voice rose with anger, "You don't understand! He did this-that- to…" Micah's words faltered, "to me too."

The woman sucked in a sharp breath, not saying anything for a moment as her eyes flicked to Zavier's shadow. She seemed even more frightened now that she knew. Maybe it was a trick of the light, but he thought he saw a faint smirk cross her lips shortly after. Her eyes were manic and her voice almost hysterical as she looked back at him, "He's a Monster, a Demon! Can't you see? He deserves to die!"

"N- I tried to- I just… I tried to help you. I'm sorry."

"You failed," she briskly cut him off, snatching the wet cloth he held out to her, "but if you want to redeem yourself, don't let him murder my husband."

Micah's breathing stilled as she looked into his eyes. He didn't know if she was truly concerned and selfless, or if it was all just an act, but something sparked behind her eyes. She hadn't asked for her own safety, but that was something Micah already wanted to provide for her. Why Liam? He almost opened his mouth to ask why when she gestured her chin towards his brother, and turned her back on him. Micah wasn't wanted near her anymore. He stood and stepped out of her personal space, hesitating for a moment before striding towards the table and his brother.

Shirtless, in only his jeans, Micah stood before his brother and the table, forcing himself not to look back at Jenny.

"What is she to you?" Micah mumbled out finally, his eyes set on the table.

Zavier just grinned as Micah spoke "Whatever" and walked back to the table. He watched as Micah tried to help Jenny, the look on her face making him smile. He started to think this was going to end up in everyone getting killed but that thought didn't bother him, If he knew Liam was dead that would be enough for him. As Micah finished up with Jenny he watched him walk over and sit down in front of him, feeling the anger in his words.

"Nothing but bait" His words spoken without emotion, like he was talking about using a dead animal while hunting. "Understand Micah, I will cut her into as many pieces as it takes to get to Liam. Her life means nothing to me, I don't care how much she screams or begs." Zaviers hands ball up into tight fists as he starts to get agitated. His breathing becoming heavy as he looked over at her laying there broken, helpless and violated. His gaze turned to Micah and he took a deep breath, knowing he had to explain his plan to him.

"This is what's going to happen, now that I've had to rethink your role in all this. It's obvious I can't trust you with something so important, even though it's to save your life as well. Let me warn you once again, If you do anything to fuck this up and he gets away because you try to fuck with me again." Zaviers eyes go almost black "I will focus all my rage on you and I promise hell will seem like a holiday park by comparison." Zavier paused a moment to let that sink in, his mind was becoming clouded with only the thought of revenge and getting this dealt with once and for all. "I am going to go back to the apartment and your coming with me. The twins will not fall for the trap on the door but I can use that to my advantage. Once there in the house I will take them both down and then call Liam, I know he won't show up with the twins because he's a coward. It just means he's going to be getting something bloody in the mail. "Zavier grins, it's almost like he want's Liam not to do as Zavier told him so he had an excuse to cut Jenny up.

"Your going to be in my room, looking out for anyone coming up the fire escape. That's all you have to do, if someone is coming you shout out to me and I will come and sort it out. The rest of the plan you don't need to know, mainly because you wouldn't want to know." Zavier started to pack up his tools, collecting his knives and various other horrific looking equipment. He looked over at Jenny "Don't worry bitch, we will be back soon enough. If Liam shows I'll bring you back his head so you can say goodbye." Zavier laughs as he picks up everything and Leads Micah back up to the apartment. Once they get there Zavier goes about resetting the trap on the door and taping up the bedroom window so there is only enough of a gap so Micah could look out and see the fire escape. After everything was ready Zavier looked to Micah. "We have an hour before they get here, If you have any questions or anything you'd like to say I suggest you get it off your chest now."

Watching his brother work, the disheveled figure kept mute as he tried to melt into the shadows of the room and become invisible until Zavier had turned to him. He took a deep breath, preparing himself.

"I didn't want to b… betray you," Micah forced the word out with a wince. Zavier was giving him a chance to explain himself. It was a lot more than he had hoped for, and he wasn't going to ruin it by stammering like a frightened kid.

He cleared his throat, continuing with the same respectful tone, but with a smoother cadence, finding it easier to talk if he wasn't looking straight into Zavier's eyes, "I was only trying to protect her from you because she hasn't done anything wrong. She's… She's like me, Matt. You're using her just like Liam used me to get to you, and I can't let you hurt her because," his mouth tightened and he looked down at the floor, "because I know what it's like to feel like you're going to die, and she doesn't deserve that, not even if she's done things in the past," Micah glanced back up at his brother, "I don't know what history you have with her, but Liam will come to get her even if you don't torture and… ah… c-cut her up." He hoped Matthew would have done the same for him. How could one be so fucked up as to leave their family to the torment of a murderer?

Micah sighed, the shadows of the dark room helping hide Zavier's eyes and ease his confession, "truthfully, I was only going to take her away from you. I wasn't going to let her go either. I wouldn't jeopardize you like that, I swear Matt, but I didn't want her to be around you when you're, uh… like this. I was going to drive her back to the house, keep her there, and then return and tell you where she was as soon as all this with Liam blew over. Shit, this makes me sound like a criminal too, but that's how it is," he looked his brother in the eye, "I wasn't going to betray you. I admit I didn't even have the best plan. I just don't know how to make you stop. I knew you were going to hurt her, Matt, I knew it. You had got the phone call you wanted, I've never done this sort of thing, I thought her use was up and I … I panicked."

There was silence between them as Micah held his breath and then let it out all at once.

"I just want this to be over so that we can…" Micah took another deep breath, knowing his brother wasn't thinking about the future, but rather had his mind set only on his revenge. He turned and stepped towards Zavier, searching his face. "So that we can be normal again." Micah deliberately said "we." He wasn't going to give up on his hope for a future. He didn't want to die. He didn't want Matthew to die either.

He had drawn up closer to his brother, so close he could smell the leather of Zavier's jacket. Micah leaned forward, like the weight of everything that had happened had somehow become too much, and he slumped against his brother. The slack arms at his side lifted naturally, slipping under his brother's and wrapping around behind him. Micah seemed to crave the touch. He bent his head and pressed his forehead to Zavier's chest, breathing in his smell, then raised his head slowly and set his chin on his brother's right shoulder.

"What's going to happen to us?" the whisper came finally, beside his brother's ear. They breathed together in the dark, Micah holding loosely onto Zavier's waist. This might be the last time he got to talk to and touch Matthew. After so many years, it could all end in one bloody night. He suppressed a shudder at the knowledge that whatever happened, people were going to die tonight. Who, he wasn't sure, but lives were going to end and then people would grieve.

"How did you become… like this?" Micah asked, wanting to fill the silence and continuing with his round of questions while telling himself his voice didn't crack as he said them. He didn't know if he'd ever have another chance to ask. He wanted to know more about the past and those years after Matthew had abruptly stopped all contact with their family and they had lost contact with him. He wanted answers to all of his childhood questions and more. A cold blooded contract killer was what his brother was now. There was no point in Micah denying it, as much as he wanted to. He didn't know if Zavier would even humor him to answer at all, or if he even could, but he couldn't stop his mouth from running in the claustrophobic dark of the room.

"I miss how it was before. I know you don't remember mom, I don't remember dad, but I think we were happy back then." Micah closed his eyes as he spoke quietly and listened to Zavier's breathing, felt his chest rise against his own, "I missed you a hell of a lot after you left, and after you stopped sending letters. I always wanted to know what happened to you because the best memories of my life were when it was just you, me, and mom. When we were a family. You were always there for me. I never understood why… why you left me." His whisper tapered off with a strained chuckle, Micah seeming to shake himself out of his sentiments.

He slowly moved from Zavier's shoulder to raised his hands up to cup his brother's cheeks, careful not to brush slender fingertips against the cut he had made on that cheek as he ran them slightly back into the black hair. Palms rested across Zavier's jaw, his thumbs on his cheeks. Holding his older brother's face in this way, Micah rose to place a benign kiss on Zavier's nose like he had done when they were younger; when he was still a kid.

"Be safe," he said quietly, looking up into Zavier's eyes. Micah stared for a second, and then suddenly dropped his hands quickly stepped away.

He moved to the window and took his seat on the edge of the bed at his vantage point. Micah's back was turned to Zavier as he rubbed his hands up and down his bare arms and stared down at the fire escape and the shadows of the street below, trying to keep his thoughts from straying from his task… but moreso from straying to his brother, who stood near in the darkness of the room.

Zavier stood silent as Micah spoke, there was something about being called Matthew that made him start to feel relaxed as he felt his brother against him. The feeling of his brothers hands against his face almost making him want to just wrap his arms around Micah and hold him tight. Zavier had to fight back the urge to hold his brother as he need his wits about him and needed to remain sharp for what was about to come. He was starting to feel something he hadn't felt for as long as he could remember, it felt like guilt. Knowing that this night would forever change Micah as he did not intend to go easy on the twins or Liam, they were going to die and not quickly.

As Micah finished speaking and removed his hands from his face and walked into the room Zavier looked over at him, having very few memories of his life before becoming what he is today. He still didn't remember his own mother and Micah still seemed like just a blur in the back of his head. He took a deep breath and walked into the room and sat on the edge of the bed, his back to Micah. He stared at the ground, trying to think of a way to put what he was thinking into words that Micah would understand. He knew if he turned to face his brother he wouldn't say anything so he kept his eyes on the ground and sighed.

"I don't remember much about my life from when we were together, I don't even remember our mum. To be honest I can't even think what happened to lead me into this life. All I remember is bits and pieces, fighting, a few small stints in prison and working for Liam." Zavier paused for a moment, almost shocked at himself as he had never opened up this much before. "I know I have hurt you and you have felt things physically and emotionally that you never thought you would. Once this night is over we will have to disappear and maybe we can sort something out." Zavier turned to face Micah, reaching out his arms and wrapping them around him. Zavier didn't want to get to attached to Micah but there was something about him that almost made him feel like there was a future for them.

Zavier looked to Micah and then got back into his head and started to think back to what had to happen tonight. He stood up and looked down at Micah. "We have to stay focused tonight until everything is over and then we can figure out what to do next." He tries to smile before walking back out into the front room, starting to feel the want to take him before things got to heated. He sat down and thought over all the events from the moment he kidnapped Micah to now. It was close to the time he told Liam to turn up and he got his head on straight and thought only about what is to happen. There is a creek sound from outside the door and Zavier quietly gets up and turns to Micah "Be quiet and stay calm" The door handle starts to move as if being tested and the door opens a little. Zavier moves out of sight, the shotgun on the counter and his bowie knife in his hand. He doesn't want to use the shotgun unless he has to as it will make to much noise. He steadies his breathing as he watches the door open a little more. A hand holding a pair of wire cutters moving towards the wire of the trap and cutting it, disabling the trap.

It was the twins, Zavier was sure of it and he knew blood was to be shed soon. The first figure walked into the apartment and confirmed to Zavier that it was the twins, Jericho walking in first. Zavier has in the ideal spot to let them both get in without being seen and watched as Pierce follows his brother. Zaviers eyes followed them both and he started to move towards Pierce with his knife ready. As the got to within sight of Micha there was a gurggling sound as Zavier plunged his knife into the side of Pierce's neck. A large spray of blood hitting Jericho and the room door as Zavier pulls out the knife. Jericho turns just in time to see his brother hit the floor and after a second loud thud Zavier hits the floor beside him. Liam had turned up and had waited till he could see it was clear for him to come in, pistol whipping Zavier.

Jericho goes to put a bullet into Zaviers head but Liam stops him and pulls out a knife as he walks towards Micah. "So we meet again Micah, I had hoped to see you alive one more time. It looks like your brother has failed you but i am going to offer you a way out. I will give you my knife and you will cut your brothers throat. If you do this and then I will forgive you your debt and give you double what you owe me and you can go." Liam stands there holding out the knife to him, Jericho pointing his gun at him, making sure he doesn't try anything. Liam doesn't even ask about Jenny once as he just stands there with a twisted grin on his face. "So what's it going to be?"

Micah didn't hear the door open or feel the eyes on his back, too intent on watching the shadows of the fire escape, until he heard the sick slick sound of a knife ripping into someone's airway. It was now a sound he was way too familiar with. Micah whipped around to see his brother pull the gory knife out from the gaping wound of the felled twin, when a third figure emerged and struck Zavier down beside him.

"NO!" Micah yelled as the gun of the standing twin lowered towards his brother's head. He froze when his gaze rose to meet that of Liam's. So this was the crime syndicate boss, in the flesh...

Micah knew his answer before the words were even out of Liam's mouth. His own mouth went as dry as sand. Everything in him roared it was wrong, his heart physically hurt at the thought of doing…. that. He couldn't kill his bother! He remembered what Zavier had said only a few minutes ago; his bother's tone had been hesitant and rough, but soft, and he had pulled him into a hug that had startled the younger sibling. Zavier's husked words had skittered over his flushed skin. It took all Micah had not to clutch back at Zavier; he had known that if he hugged his brother back, he wouldn't be able to let go. The fear of the upcoming night had settled in on his shoulders as Zavier left him in the darkened room, and it had felt like he was left alone again. It was something he didn't want to imagine. He couldn't kill, but especially not Matt. Micah's mind worked furiously. He wanted answers. He needed to bide his time.

"Y-you'll really let me go?" He asked Liam quietly, eying the blade like it was something foreign to him. The lure of money and soft living had always entranced Micah. It was like an addiction, and Liam knew that. For a second Micah let that fantasy wash over him. All his debts gone, hundreds of dollars his, and no need to run away and hide… no need to become a fugitive. Liam was taunting him with it, luring him in.

Slowly he stood, his chest bare and showing the old and new bruising, hopefully giving some credibility to his acting. Why would they think Zavier had treated him kindly? He was their most ferocious hitman. He took a few steps forward until his hand hovered before the hilt of the knife, then dropped slowly back to his side as he looked up at Liam, "Why him?" He asked quietly, "what did he do that made you so intent on destroying him?"

Micah meant that in every sense of the word. Liam hadn't just wanted Zavier dead, he wanted him dishonored. He wanted him to die a tortured and undignified death. The question was, how did one torture a hardened, stone-cold torturer? What better way to do that then to surprise Zavier with the knowledge that the hitman had just killed his own brother? But as that hadn't worked the first time, Liam now resorted to asking Miach to do so. It was insult added to injury. Micah just didn't understand why Liam was doing this. What could make him hate his own hitman so much? Or was he just… insane?

"You're not really going to let me go, are you? I was dead to you the moment Matthew was assigned me." Micah finished, his soft murmur sounding loud in the quiet room. Liam wasn't going to just let him go. They had taken Jenny, and once having dealt with Liam one was always in the crime boss' debt. Despite the lock of his jaw, Micah's fingers were trembling. He knew he was going to die. He was going to die now.

"I won't kill my brother. I'm not heartless like you." he said, tilting his chin up as his eyes firmed. A almost euphoric wave of lightheadedness washed over him as he fully realized he'd rather die here beside Matt than to kill his brother himself. It was something odd, that in this moment he finally took up responsibility, knowing full well the consequences of his actions would be excruciatingly painful. With Matt beside him, he stopped running. Sure his brother was a killer, a rapist, and had deserted him when he was too young to not know it wasn't his fault, but Micah still cared for him. Matthew had shown him what strength was; he had protected him. Micah couldn't do that now for his brother, but he wasn't going to give in. He let his arms hang limp at his sides as he stared defiantly up into the Liam's vengeful eyes. He would deny the sadistic crime boss his victory.

"I won't do it."

Liam's eyes stayed locked on Micah as he spoke, Jericho desperate to pull the trigger and end Micah's life. Liam grew more frustrated as Micah defied him, raising hi hand and striking Micah's jaw hard. The force of the blow causing Micah to hit the floor, falling off the bed. Liam laughed as Jericho Picked him back up and threw him on the bed. Liam pulled up a chair and sat in front of Micah and took a deep breath, he had no intention of letting Micah go and decided it couldn't hurt to tell him before he killed him

"I had three main hitmen at my disposal and between them they helped me keep my business under control. Your brother was one of the most efficient and ruthless killers I have ever known and just the mention of sending him after someone was usually enough to make anyone pay up or do as I told them. I sent Zavier.....Matthew after a rival that had been taking out my shipments and things went to shit. I sent my son with him to make sure everyone was killed to send a message to anyone else thinking of rising up against me. Lee was trapped in the building and Matthew blew it up anyway."

Liam got up and walked to Zavier as he still lay unconscious on the floor kicking him with each word.
"YOU....SHOULD....OF......PROTECTED....HIM."
His breathing getting heavier as his angry grew, turning back and walking up to Micah again.
Jericho looked at Liam "Just let me shot the fuckers and we can go"
Liam looked at him "NO...Not yet, I want Matthew to see you rip his brother to pieces before I put a bullet in his head."

Zavier started to come round just as Liam hit Micah again, his eyes widen as he see's Micah hit the floor. Looking at Jericho then Liam, trying to find the right moment, knowing if he got this wrong then they were both dead. Zavier knew he only had one chance and it had to be fast and hard. He didn't have a weapon in reach and knew this was going to be up close and very personal. Liam stood over Micah and turned his head to Jericho. "Rough him up but don't kill him" The twisted grin coming back as he spoke. Jericho leaned in and grabbed hold of Micah by the throat and slammed his fist into his side then pinned him up against the wall and repeating his strike. Zavier managed to slowly get up, knowing Micah needed him but knowing he had to do this right and Micah would have to take a few knocks for this to go there way. Zavier lifted himself to his feet and his rage took over as Jericho connected another fist to Micah's ribs. He rushed Liam and slammed his fist so hard against Liams jaws the sound of it breaking almost echoed in the room. He took hold of Jericho and threw him across the room causing Micah to drop to the floor.

Zavier was out of control and his eyes were back to the way they looked when he took out the first people that were sent to the apartment. Zavier picked up Jericho by the throat and pounded his head against the wall. No words came from Zavier as again and again he slammed Jericho's head against the concrete wall. Each connection causing a blood splatter that almost covered the wall, Jericho's skull exposed by the time Zavier let him go. His lifeless body falling near Micah, the hole in Jericho's head clearly visible to Micah. Zavier turned his attention to Liam and picked him up and tied him to the chair, facing Micah. Zavier took a deep breath and without a second thought picked up a baseball bat and brought it down hard against each of Liam's kneecaps. Liam screamed out in pain but it didn't last long as Zavier grabbed hold of Liam's head and snapped his neck.

Zavier stood for a moment, blood dripping from his entire body and he caught his breath. His mind racing and his heart beating so hard and fast it felt like it was going to burst out of his chest. After a few moments as the rage subsided he turned to Micah and gently lifted him up and onto the sofa. He was trying to think how he was going to get Micah treated without exposing himself. He looked into Micah's eyes "It's over brother......it's done......your safe." Zavier sat on the floor beside the sofa and tried to asses the situation and think over his plans for them to disappear, he needed a few moments to get his head together though.

Micah watched everything unfold with an almost detached glass to his eyes. It wasn't like when he was being tortured by his brother. Now he was just… accepting. He was apathetic, until he heard the motivation behind Liam's fury. It made sympathy stick in his throat. However, that hot feeling of pity was quickly doused with ice water when Liam described what Jericho was to do.

Micah gasped as a heavy fist pummeled into his already aching ribs, his side and stomach, the grip on his throat blurring his vision as his eyes watered. His fingers scraped at Jericho's hand on his neck. On the fourth blow, Micah cracked, a pained cry leaving his lips and felt the wind leave his burning lungs. Then, all of a sudden, the weight and the heavy blows were lifted off him, and he sunk to the ground with a groan. Micah looked up to see his brother standing there before him, and almost smiled as awe and relief rushed through him, but then he saw the blackened countenance of his brother. That wasn't Matthew. That was Zavier; it was bloodlust. Micah shrank back.

He covered his head as he heard the crunching and screaming of the other twin being slammed in to the wall above him. As Jericho's corpse was dropped beside him, Micah finally lost his stomach. Nothing came out, but some water and a foamy froth. He hadn't eaten; there wasn't much to expel. Liam's screams were just as sick and wrong, coming from the broken mouth of the once-stoic crime boss. Micah curled up with his hands over his ears, but he swore he could still hear the snap that ended Liam's life and his garbled screams.

He didn't know how, but suddenly he was on the couch. Micah's body stretched limp across the couch, his eyes opening stiffly. "My fault… It's my fault," he whispered, still in shock as he stared at Zavier with a mix of longing and total fear. Emotions ran over his face, guilt, pain, horror, despair. He tore his eyes away from the bloody figure of his brother and warred with himself. The metallic tang of blood in his nostrils was overwhelming him. It was his fault. He been the decider, he had made the impossible choice. What he hadn't known was that Liam was avenging someone he loved as well.

It was a terrible fate, and in hindsight, the broken body on the chair was just a man who had grieved for his lost son. Micah suddenly regretted his words. Liam hadn't been heartless after all, but it was ironic that a man who made his living in death sent the one thing he loved into the bloody fray, and had it ripped from him. His heart ached to realize that Jenny's warning to him had also been justified. He had failed her and her plea, but what could he do? He couldn't kill Zavier, and he couldn't bring Lee back. Liam wouldn't have stopped hunting them. It was a clusterfuck of bad options, and he couldn't change the past.

Micah shut his eyes against the view of the room, his hands gripping his jeans as he wanted to reach out to touch his bloody brother, but also wanted to be a hundred miles away from him. Blood pounded in his head. There was a long silence between them, Micah remaining tentatively silent until he drew up enough nerve to speak, voice choked with emotion.

"You saved me… my life, again." Micah's weak smile was cast at Zavier's back. Finally, his hand reached out, fingers unfurling to place his palm against his brother's back. "Thank you."

There was a pause, before Micah spoke again, although this time quieter. "He said… the reason he did this," Micah took in a breath, knowing he shouldn't feel remorse about the grisly death of the man who planned to have him tortured and killed, but doing so anyway, "… he said it was because you killed his son, Lee."

Zavier didn't reply to Micah, not wanting to get into that now. There were more important things to worry about now and he had to get a handle on things quickly. Zavier knew they had at least a couple hours before they would have to be long gone and decided to get Micah cleaned up. He ran a warm bath and gently lifted Micah up and into it, gently washing his body down to get rid of any blood that was covering him. Zavier left Micah, resting and soaking in the bath while he showered. He stood there under the powerful spray of water, blood pouring of his body like it was coming out of a large wound. After getting himself clean, dried and dressed in some fresh clothes he turned his attention back to Micah. Kneeling beside the bath he placed his arms under him and lifted him out, drying him off and trying not to put to much pressure on his chest. After Micah was cleaned up as best as he could be and put into some new clothes, Zavier sat him on the sofa and sat in front of him.

"Micah...we are not fully out of the woods yet, we need to get across state and find a place to lay low for a while." Zavier could tell Micah was still not full with it and stood up, grabbing Liams phone. "Police......Trace this phones location and send an ambulance to Garage 4." Liam left the phone on and dropped in on the sofa. He gently picked up Micah and got him to the twins car and lays him in the back seat, getting in and driving off in the oppisite direction the police will be coming from. Zavier drives for almost a full day, stopping only to refuel. Finding a motel in the middle of nowhere Zavier stops and gets them a room, taking Micah into the room and laying him on the bed. He picks up the phone to the man on the front desk "I need you to send a doctor to my room, I will make sure your discretion is well rewarded if you can send him here no questions asked."

It took a couple of hours for the doctor to arrive, Zavier sittin on the bed with his back against the wall and Micah's head resting on his lap. Zavier was finally starting to calm down, trying to erase everything from his mind but he knew, like everything else he had done that it would haunt him for as long as he lived. There was a knock on the door and Zavier gently lay Micah on the bed properly and answers the door to the doctor. Zavier was surprised, this guy looked like the kind of person you would expect to see in a major hospital. He was happy to see him as he led him to Micah. "We got into an accident and we can't go to the hospital, please do all you can for him. I have money if you need supplies or medication....just help him." For the first time the was a tone of normality to Zavier's voice, almost a desperation for his brother to get better. Zavier sat on the chair as he watched over the doctor as he looked you over, waiting for the doctor to finish and let him know how bad it was.

Micah moved in a state of post-traumatic shock, pliable under Zavier's hands, but moving slowly, as if in a dream. He closed his eyes as Zavier washed him and left to let his wounded body soak in the warm water. Micah left out a sigh as he slipped further into the caress of the bath. He wanted to forget he was surrounded by the dead, and reliant on a killer to heal him. Zavier, for whatever reason, had protected him once again. Micah's shaking hands lifted water from the tub to wash the blood and salty trails of tears from his face. Despite everything that Zavier had done, he couldn't find it in him to hate his brother, not even as he could vividly picture that white crack of skull peaking past the red gore that was once the face of a man beating into him.

Silently, Micah let Zavier help him from the tub, dry his shivering body, and dress him in some clean clothes. He kept shivering, his breathing shallow and his pupils dilated despite the relative calm of the apartment now. He nodded mechanically to the sound of Zavier's voice, and his name. A question? What had he asked? Damn, it was too cold in here… Micah blinked forcefully and slowly. The lights were really bright. Whoa… the world was spinning. Micah sounded pained as Zavier picked him up. Finally he was allowed to rest. He lay for a long while across the backseat of the car. It smelled new... Where were they going?

Micah faded in and out of a fitful doze until they arrived at the motel. When Zavier picked him up, no doubt he would feel the heat of his skin, and the dampness of his shirt. The cotton clung to his sweating body, and his eyes were unfocused. He soon found himself laying limply on a bed, unmoving but to focus on his own shallow breathing. Somewhere in the back of his mind it scared him, but all he could think about was how hot the sauna of a room was. Where was Matthew? He needed Matthew…

Micah lay contently enough under his brother's touch, until there was a polite knock on the door. He opened his eyes, but his head swam, so he shut them again. He heard footsteps, and then the sound of someone inhaling deeply.

The had doctor arrived at the motel door, and knocked politely before entering in on a disturbing scene. Micah had been stripped of his shirt, but now he was shivering and covered in goosebumps, when minutes earlier he had been fitful and sweating. The doctor's eyes swept over the deep, dark bruising and the yellowed, older bruises. He had been told this was the result of an "accident," as well as that it was confidential. Wanting to help and not hinder, the doctor decided to keep his mouth shut.

"Dr. Pendelton. Nice to meet you." He shook Zavier's hand quickly, getting the formalities out of the way as he unpacked his briefcase. Pressing a hand to Micah's forehead before snapping on gloves, the doctor's brows came together in a frown as he addressed Micah, "Sir, can you hear me? Do you feel pain anywhere specific?" Micah responded with a mumbled "no." He took a flashlight to Micah's eyes and mouth, nodding,

"He's got a fever."

Dr. Pendleton felt over the bruises on Micah's face, making sure nothing was damaged beneath the skin. Listening through a stethoscope, the doctor again frowned, pausing for a moment to watch Micah breathe. He slowly ran his hands down Micah's sides, taking note of where he flinched. The doctor pressed two fingers along Micah's right side until Micah let out a yelp, then decreased his pressure as Micah tossed and hissed in pain; the doctor making sure that the cracked ribs were floating and had not punctured the lungs.

"He's fractured two ribs, nothing requiring surgery, but he'll be in pain for a few weeks or so until they heal. His right side is bruised worse than the left, don't let him roll over onto it during the night. He'll need to sleep on his back and breathe deeply."

He frowned again and straightened up, looking from Zavier down to Micah. "You'll need to ice the area of the ribs every 45 minutes or so for tonight, and I suggest anywhere he is bruised as well. Ice him off and on through the week to reduce swelling. Make sure he's breathing normally throughout the night; deep-breathing and gentle coughing exercises will keep him from worsening. He should minimize movement, and will probably be bed-ridden due to the fever. Watch him closely."

Snapping off his gloves, the doctor packed away his things, and then pulled out two pill bottles and handed them over to Zavier.

"Vicodin for the pain, Skelaxin for muscle spasms. I hate to give you these without being able to look at his medical records, but he needs them now, so I didn't give you these. Have him take one or two of the painkillers, and one of the muscle relaxant. The fever should taper off on it's own. Keep him hydrated."

Pressing the bottles into Zavier's hand, he gathered his things and turned to the door, "I was in the neighborhood on a visit to an elderly patient. It's a small town, and it was sheer luck that I was on the road when Henry called. That medication should last you, but I urge you to take him to the hospital if his condition worsens. Call me if you need anything." Pressing his business card to the table and shaking his head one last time, the doctor left.

As the doctor shut the door, Micah raised a hand to his forehead, "Matt… what's going on? Where's mom?"

Zavier watched as the doctor checked over Micah, paying close attention to what he was saying and doing. The full extent of Micah's injuries now evident. The bruising on Micah's body causing Zavier to become upset and angry at the same time as he went over what happened at the apartment. As the doctor finished and explained everything to Zavier, he took the meds and thanked the doctor as he walked him out. Walking back to sit beside Micah with his mind racing Zavier took Micah's hand in his and softly spoke. "It's ok little brother, take these and try to stay calm and get some sleep." Zavier sat with Micah for a while as he slept after taking some of the pills the doctor left. Knowing they would have to put some more distance between the apartment and them. There was no way Micah could cope with that amount of travelling in his present condition and made the decision to stay at the motel for a few days while the pills took effect.

The next few days were mostly spent taking care of Micah and making sure he took the pills. Zavier washed and fed Micah, making sure he moved as little as possible. It was hard for Zavier to go from killer to carer but he was doing the best he could, wanting to make sure Micah didn't have to go to the hospital. Zavier took advantage of Micah being asleep and took the bag of money he had got from there old house and started counting what they had left. It wasn't going to be enough and Zavier knew he was going to have to do something that could prove very dangerous, he was going to hit one of Liam's old cash stash's. There would be at least a few hundred thousand there and now Liam and the twins are gone there shouldn't be anyone else that will know of the place. After making sure Micah was comfortable and dosed up he got himself ready to go, filling the mag of beretta he took from Liam and placing it in his inside jacket pocket before he left the room.

Almost four hours passed before Zavier came back, two huge bags full of cash. He couldn't believe how easy that had been or how much Liam had stashed there. There must of been close to half a million between the two bags he brought back with him. Zavier placed the two bags in the corner of the room and sat beside Micah, holding his fragile hand in his. There was a surge of strange emotions running through him as he watched his brother sleep. Having never had to care for someone he now faced a completely new life that he wasn't prepared for. He placed his other hand of Micah's shoulder and rubbed gently, "Micah......Micah......You need to get up. I need to give you your meds and you need to get a bath and change, we can't stay here any longer."

Zavier was going to take Micah to an old lake house he had gone to once on Liam's orders, an old friend that had gotten on the wrong side of Liam. His house had been put on the market years ago and Zavier had bought it under a different name so Liam wouldn't find out. It was strange how he hadn't thought of that place sooner, almost like parts of his memories were disappearing as his life was changing. It was going to be a long drive and Micah was going to have to try to bare with him until Zavier could get him safe and secure. As Micah stirred Zavier started telling him what was about to happen and that it would be the final stop if all goes well.

Micah spent the next few days in a fever-induced stupor. His memory was hazy at best, but he knew he hadn't been hallucinating about Zavier taking care of him. Yesterday evening his fever had broken, and he'd been able to stomach more food. It still hurt to cough and sneeze, but at least it wasn't hurting as much to breathe.

He woke to the pain again, but this time he bore it without scowling because there was something different. He could feel a gentle touch… was Zavier holding his hand?

"Matt?" Micah blinked slowly awake and tried to focus on what his brother was saying past a pounding headache. He swallowed and nodded. It was always worse after sleep to be moved to bathe. His body was used to it's position. He swore he could hear his ribs and stiff muscles creaking as he sat up with help. Micah's bottom lip was raw from the days of stifling his sounds of pain whenever he moved. He gratefully accepted the pills that were handed to him. Micah smiled in thanks up to Zavier, and then grimaced down into the water cup. He couldn't even sit up on his own. The pills wouldn't kick in for about 20 minutes… and that felt like an eternity.

"We're leaving... for a safehouse?" He asked, clean now after having bathed, and struggling to get dressed. He had to lay back on the bed to pull his jeans on, as he couldn't bend over without pain. It was the first time in days he'd put them on. The pain meds had kicked in to reduce slow movement to a duller pain, and Micah slowly tried to stand. He felt over his right side, wincing and biting his lip when touched his ribs. The ice that Zavier had been diligently applying had gotten the swelling down, but it still hurt like a bitch.

"How long were we here?" He asked nervously, not quite sure how long he had been out through his fever. Had it been that long? What were people thinking? Did they know he was even still alive? Did anyone care?

Maybe it was the pain, or the meds that made him slower, but Micah's mind didn't quite catch up to the panic he couldn't name, "I can't… leave. What about.. my life, a.. job, mom told me to- and we're going where?" He shook his head, looking over at the Zavier, the confusion showing on his face. Micah swayed unsteadily and looked towards the door.

Just then, there was a knock on the door- a steady, rhythmic rap.

Zavier sat down beside Micah, resting him up against the bed and taking hold of his brothers hand gently. "It's been almost a week, you slept through most of the fever. The safe house we are going to is out of the way of most people and isn't a place someone will come across unless they know it's there, and most of the people that do know are.....well.....there dead now. I know it's going to be hard to adjust to this new life and we are going to have to limit our movements for a while but we have enough money to keep us comfortable for a long time and I am going to take care of you and keep you safe." Zavier's manner and tone of voice were completely different now, almost like he was a different person.

Just as he was about to continue talking Zavier heard the knock at the door, he stood up fast and looked to Micah. "I'm not expecting anyone. Keep down and quiet while I check it out." Taking the pistol out of the bed side table Zavier cocked it and walked up to the door. Unfortunately there was no spyhole and Zavier knew if it was someone wanting to kill them they wouldn't tell the truth if he asked who it was. The only option was quick reactions, grab the person and get them up against the wall as fast as possible. Zavier stood with his hand at the door handle, with the gun ready and with one swift motion opened the door and grabbed the tall man and slammed him against the wall with the gun pressed to his head.

"wow wow wow......fucking hell Z, it's me......Kent" The man now against the wall was about Zavier's height but nowhere near as muscular as him. His frame was toned but with little muscle definition. He was wearing a pair of black jeans, black shirt and a full length leather jacket with black boots. Zavier released his grip and stepped back a little, still pointing the gun at him. "I see you still don't know what colour is.....what is it with you and black?" Without looking at him Zavier spoke to Micah. "Don't worry, I know him....just.....not what he is doing here." Kent brushed himself down, straightening his clothes before looking back to Zavier.

"I see you still a paranoid asshole......nice to see some things don't change." He took a few deep breaths before speaking again. "Look, I know it was you who took out Liam and the twins and although the man was scum I can't help think it was a little brutal to use his wife like that. I went to see her in the hospital.....she's a mess. Doctor said she will make a full recovery but I doubt her mind will heal so fast."

Zavier looked to Kent as he spoke, his voice raising a little, obviously not happy about what he did being questioned. "Don't lecture me about what I did, Don't you fucking dare. That muther fucker got what he deserved for betraying me, he knew if he didn't succeed in killing me what I would do. What happened to Jenny is on him and not on me, you know I will do whatever is needed to get things done."

Kent realised his words had started to piss Zavier off. "calm down Z I'm not judging you....it's just not how I would of handled it, forget I said anything. I am kind off wondering around at the moment, since you killed our employer there's not much work. I can't go anywhere else as I would be killed before I could speak a word. I know you hit one of Liam's cash stash's as it's what I was going to do. I want to come with you, I know your planning on going to the lake safe house. I could stay in the side section of the house, It's almost like a little apartment and you know you can trust me." Kent looks to Micah then back to Zavier. "I see you got your brother out and safe, listen Z....I knew he sent you after Micah but I swear I didn't know he was your brother. If I had known I would of said something....I only knew about Liam's betrayal after you took out the guys he sent after you."

Zavier lowered the gun and looked to Micah to make sure he was ok before turning back to Kent and pointed to a chair in the corner that Kent walks to and sits down on. Zavier sat on the edge of the bed and looked over to Kent. "I knew Liam held a grudge after what happened to his son but I told him not to make me take his son with me. I told him it would be dangerous, I did what I had to. Anyway, fuck 'em there dead and my brother and me are safe. Don't take this the wrong way Kent but it's going to take more than words to get my trust at the moment. There are a lot of people that would pay a lot of money for my head, even more if I was alive so they could do it themselves. I tell you what, stealth was always your thing so I will task you with something. If your crazy enough to agree and manage to pull it off then I will trust you. In Liam's mansion there is a safe behind the painting of his wife in his bedroom containing something I want. Liam told me once that he had some things he kept from when I first started working for him. I never got to see it and I think it has to do with my life before him. Sneak in and grab it from the safe, it's in a wooden box with a gold lock on the front. The combination for the safe is Jenny's date of birth, remember though she lied about her age by four years."

Zavier stood up and showed Kent to the door, still unsure if he was going to be able to trust him but this would go along way to starting to trust him. Kent gave Micah a nod and tapped Zavier on the shoulder as he walked to the door. "Still handing out crazy missions, you crazy bastard.....good to see you again. Give me a few days and I'll be back." Zavier looks to him, "You have till this time on Friday, after that me and Micah are gone and I will consider anyone coming to the lake house an enemy." He shut the door and walked back to the bed and sat beside Micah with an arm around him and held him close, resting Micah's head on his shoulder. "Don't worry little brother, he is.....kind of a friend. While I worked for Liam he was the only person I fully trusted but I can't take any risk at the moment. If he really does what I told him to do then he can be trusted. We will stay here for a few more days and then see what happens." Zavier gently rubs Micah's shoulder to try and comfort him. "What are you thinking?" Realising he was making decisions that would effect both of them.

As Zavier and the stranger called Kent spoke, Micah remained as silent as he could on the bed. He wanted to just sink lower into the bedsheets and disappear. When Kent's eyes settled on him, Micah was a deer in headlights. He had met too many assassins for one lifetime, and having another so close, "friend" or not, had his skin crawling and sweating. He stared back at Kent with all the courage and challenge he could muster. Frankly, it was probably about as effective as a rabbit trying to intimidate a hunting dog; Micah still looked like he was a used punching bag.

Kent ignored the eyes of Z's brother, Micah, which were burning into his skull as he continued to talk with Zavier. He nodded as Zavier made his test clear; it wasn't an unusual request for "gaining trust" in their profession. All he had to do was get his hands on some prized possession, some secret of sorts Z wanted, and he'd be in. Shouldn't be too hard now with the Boss out of the way, and his connections. Kent nodded soberly at the door, "I'll get you your box Z." The door was shut, boots retreated, and Micah and Zavier were once again left alone.

Micah was stiff until Zavier sat beside him and helped him relax. He softened at the hand that bent his head to his brother's shoulder, his body responding to the gentle but firm touch, although his mind was still flying with everything learned.

Zavier had said himself, a hitman did whatever it took to get things done. The end result justified the means. Except, Zavier's means were on a whole other level of "mean." He wasn't just determined; he was dangerous. Micah felt both jaw-dropping awe and heavy respect for that iron tenacity, and pant-pissing fear. It had his head swimming. Who was he really… to judge the morals of his brother, who had saved his life? Matthew, who had, despite his amnesia, put himself in the fire, for Micah as well… So that his brother didn't need to get his hands dirty, or worse, his throat cut to pieces. It was an amazing sacrifice, the gravity of which Micah was only now coming to fully comprehend.

Micah suddenly felt extremely guilty. He'd given his brother a hard time, and protecting his sorry ass was no doubt a burden. Zavier asked what was on his mind. Micah decided to tell him the truth, "I've been thinking a lot about… what happened," he swallowed, "and… what will happen," moving to somewhere no one else knew about with a trained killer and torturer was… beyond frightening, but Micah kept it together.

"Really, I just want you to know, that I will… uh…" damn it. Micha's hands fiddled, until he lowered one unconsciously onto his brother's muscled thigh, before realizing it and lifting it quickly off. Why was it so hard to say? He never had a problem with the word slipping off his lips when they were younger.

"I, uh.." The pause was getting pretty uncomfortable, and he was fidgeting, which caused him to wince. His ribs fucking hurt. Catching his breath on his brother's shoulder, Micah's eyes flicked from the underside of his brother's chin, down to the his shirt, and then slowly back to his brother's chin. Just say it. He might not remember. It's important to remind people. Especially… Matthew.

Micah felt like a kid again as he opened his mouth, curled up against his older bother's side. The warm touch was comforting and familiar. Oh god, how he had missed this.

"I just want you to know that, you know… no matter what has happened, and anything that happens after this, I still… I'll still love you." His voice was too soft, but Micah felt immediately lighter after he spoke the words. The pause was to much for him to handle, so he followed up with a slightly louder, "because, you're my brother, and you'll always… be my brother."

-----

Alicia stepped out of the shadows of the side-street, checking over her shoulders before she quickly toed her way over to the man in shadows on the other side of the dead street. Her tread was light and agile and her eyes were a bit too flighty. She was on her guard, and not at all happy about this situation. Her whisper rang sarcastically,

"Never thought I'd see you alive again."

"Never thought you'd want to," came the gravelly voice.

Alicia smiled, dimples popping on her caramel cheeks, "You're right, Bastard. You only call me when you need me to dirty my pedicure in your shit." She put her hands on her slender waist- a body like a gymnast, "What is it you "need" this time? Got too far in over your head?"

"No," Kent chuckled, lighting a cigarette, "I need you to use your "skills" to get me into the Mansion."

Alicia just stared, then scoffed loudly, "Liam's Mansion? No way. It's completely shut down; black; off the grid. They've trucked in generators, weapons, guards and dogs, new security programs and protocols. I wouldn't be surprised if nukes were on the list. There's no way you are getting in there. Period."

Kent took a long drag, staring her in the eye, and when Alicia scowled back and tossed her red hair without giving an inch, he sighed, "I thought so. They're probably contacting his next in line, whoever his successor will be. Wouldn't be surprised if it's some extended family, or worse, a chum mafioso."

Alicia smirked and turned on point to leave, glancing over her shoulder, "Go find work somewhere else, Kent. You won't just get your tail singed this time. You're bound to get blasted to hell. This isn't your expertise. Your nine lives are up."

"Im trying to do just that; finish work." When Alicia didn't stop walking, he sighed, "It's on Z's orders."

Alicia stopped dead.

"Zavier?" She turned slowly, "But I haven't seen him since…" her face warped into something strongly resembling fear, "no," she whispered.

"Don'you worry 'Lisha, I'll keep your name off his kill list, but I need this done, and it's going to be you."

Alicia started to shake her head, but she had the look of someone stuck between a rock and a hard place. Kent continued, "I'm sure you don't want him to know you knew about his brother before he left that day, so you're going to do me a little favor."

"Kent-"

"You work in their IT department. How hard is it to get a copy of the floor schematics, cameras, and codes? You were once the best thief I knew…" He stepped forward and brushed off her shoulder, "don't tell me you're getting rusty sitting behind a desk and eating doughnuts."

She slapped his hand away, "Bastard. You're going to help. Tell me exactly what it is you want."

---- (2 days later)

"Hurry! you've got to hurry, they're coming, I tried, but they're good! They'll be here any minute!"

Kent took the box wrapped in a towel from the bloodied thief, her red hair mixed matted with the blood on her ripped suit jacket, "Come with me, Alicia-"

"NO! Just go! I got you your fucking box, now leave me alone and keep your promise- that maniac stays away from me."

Dogs could be heard, and before Kent can say another word, the thief is off, sprinting down another side street. Shaking his head, he peels out onto the street, and flies to his destination.

----

Micah's been healing well, and he can walk, but his right side is still tender. He anxiously paces the room, bored and restless from being cooped up inside for days, with only Matthew for company. It doesn't bother him, but he worries that it should. He'd found himself craving more and more of Zavier's touch; seeking out his brother, or waking terrified in the middle if the night, gasping and choking on his name and refusing to let Zavier go once he responded to comfort him. It was concerning. He'd never felt so reliant. Was this some sort of ptsd?

A knock sounds at the door, a distinctive rap. Outside, a sleep-deprived, black-garbed man stands holding a file and something wrapped in a red-smudged towel.

It had been a strange couple of days for Zavier as he started getting closer to Micah, his brother. It seemed strange to think it still and was trying to come to grips with the whole situation. As he took care of Micah he wondered if Kent would actually pull his task off. Zavier had felt a little bad at not being able to reply to his brothers words when they sat together, showing his emotions wasn't something he was used to. Zavier did care about Micah and wanted to keep him safe and he still wasn't sure if the lake house would be as secure as he thought but it was big enough to hide out in and had a few areas not on the plans so he could get himself and Micah to safety if anything happened. Zavier kept his arms around his brother each time he reached for him for some comfort and had to admit he was starting to like being this way with him. Zavier felt like he was actually feeling something for Micah and although it was feeling he wasn't used to it felt good.

Zavier had his eye on the clock for a couple hours, hardly moving from his seat as he waited for Kent. As the sound of knocking came from the door Zavier got up and looked at Micah. "Don't worry, just keep calm." Taking out his gun and pulling back the trigger, opening the door and seeing Kent. Zavier grinned as he motioned Kent to come in and sit down, taking the box from him and noticing what it's wrapped in. "I have to be honest, I thought you were going to get killed." Smirking as Kent looks up to him. "Well thank you very fucking much" Zavier looked to him, "Stop being a girl, your alive aren't you?" He unwrapped the box and placed it on the bed, looking at it for a moment, wanting to know what's inside but a little unsure about opening it. He decided to wait and question Kent on what happened while he was away.

"So, I'm impressed you were able to get hold of this. By the looks of what it was wrapped in you had to take a few people out to get it." Pausing for a moment. "What's the place like at the moment?" Curious about what's going on now he took down Liam.

Kent laughs and looks up at Zavier. "well there were a few people that were not happy about me being there." Having to choose his words carefully, unsure what Zaviers reaction would be to Alicia's involvement. "It's starting to look like a fucking prison. More guards and cameras, dogs and a lot of alarms." Shaking his head. "Wasn't easy to get that Z."

Zavier sits on the bed as Kent talks and listens carefully. "Well I have my box and you have my trust....for now, I suggest you don't take advantage of it. You know what happened to the last guy." Giving Kent a look that showed he was serious.

"Ok Z.....calm down, I still have nightmares about that poor bastard. I know he betrayed you but fucking hell Z." He shook his head and took a deep breath. "Anyway, there's no going back to that place now so I hope this is all you wanted from that place." Zaviers words about not taking his trust for granted shook him a little and he decided to tell Zavier he had help. Kent know he was the only person alive that knew she was aware of the situation with what Liam did to Zavier and didn't think it would be a problem. "I...uh....I had some help Z. Alicia got me in and helped me grab the box from the safe. She vanished as soon as we got out, I don't know if she will show up again but you never know." Trying to play it casually.

Zavier looks at him for a moment before smiling. "Alicia? well, I'm surprised you got her to help you with this." Laughing a little. "Liam was going to send me after her just before...." He pauses for a moment, about to say Micah. "Well, before all of this happened. He told me she found out something and he wanted her silenced but changed his mind at the last minute, never found out why." He shrugged it off and looked down to the box again. He didn't know what to expect, if it was names or photos there was a high chance he wouldn't even recognise anything. His mind was racing and his usual solution to relieve stress wasn't an option any more. The old days of taking his frustrations out on some poor bastard wouldn't work any more.

Kent pipped up "Z....just open it up and get it over with mate, if you spend to much time thinking about it your never going to open it. I can do it for you if you want." Zavier looked at him and after a moment he started talking. "No....I need to make sure Micah is safe before I do this, I'll open this when we are at a secure location." Zavier looks at Kent and walks him to the door, opening it and Kent steps out. "Ok Kent, give us a couple of days and meet us at the lake house. I want to settle Micah in before we sort out what's going to happen next." Kent nodded and gave Zavier a slight slap on the shoulder. "Stay safe Z" Kent walked off and Zavier walked back inside.

"Ok Micah, we are going to pack up and get going, stopping only to pick up some supplies and then it's laying low for a while until I can figure things out." Zavier gets everything packed and in the car, not really giving Micah much opportunity to speak as he just wanted to be away from this place. After helping Micah into the car he drove them to the lake house. Zavier made one stop and filled the car with all he brought from the store. Food, drink and some other supplies he would use to secure the house. After almost an entire day of driving they finally arrived at the lake house, the road from the main road to the house long enough to make sure there was no way to see the house unless you knew it was there.

Zaver helped Micah out of the car after parking in the garage and walked him into the house. "Ok Micah, have a little look around and get used to the layout. Call me if you need help ok?" As he watched Micah walk away Zavier started unpacking the car and after putting all the food and drink in the kitchen he stored the rest of the thing in the cupboard in the garage. A couple shotguns, another pistol and a lot of wire, knives and things he would need to make some nasty traps and weapons.

Micah remained silent, sitting on the bedside and glaring at Kent, but curiosity won over and he couldn't keep up the hostility for long. The box… what sort of secrets would it hold? Would it bring Matthew's memories back? Or was it something else? Why would Liam hide it in a safe this long and keep it from Zavier? All Micah could guess was it was some information about what had happened to his brother… Maybe if not memories, it would give them answers.

All too soon Kent lumbered sleepily out the door, his face was worn and exhausted, and he looked like he hadn't eaten in days. A short farewell, and then the hitman was gone, to Micah's relief.

The ride was long, and Micah tried not to fall asleep. When he did, he had a habit of waking up in a cold sweat and yelling for Matt. It probably wasn't the best thing to do in a car, but then again, his brother's chance of being shocked enough to lose control of the car wasn't high. Micah dozed, but not long enough for any dreams.

They made a stop at a small convenience store, and while Zavier went about his business checking off a mental list, Micah was caught staring around in a stupor. He hand't been out of that apartment room in weeks. Everything was amazing. People were beginning to stare and think he was some sort of special-needs, so he tried to tone down his excitement and duck his head behind his brother's back.

Micah was chewing happily on a sour green apple when they drove down the small side road. He rolled down his window and breathed in the incredibly fresh air. It was air of a sort he'd never smelt. You didn't get this in the city. Micah cracked a wide smile when he saw the cozy house nestled beside the lake. It was secluded and quiet, it just was. There was no… stress here. His smile didn't leave, but it felt strange on his face. He hadn't lifted his lips in this way for a while.

Micah stretched his stiff muscles, and nodded, letting Zavier lead him into the house. He looked around, noting where the kitchen was, the living room, his eyes tracing the furs and soft pelts of animals long dead. Micah got a fire going as Zavier stocked the kitchen, but he didn't follow after his brother when Zavier didn't emerge from the garage for a while. Instead, Micah found the bathroom for much-needed relief, and opened a second door into a bedroom. He glanced inside, hesitating on the threshold. Was it ok? He stepped inside, and looked out the window at the lake. The bed seemed to beckon him, but still Micah hesitated. Instead, he stood in the dark room, toes curling in the fur on the floor, watching the stillness of the forest outside.

Zavier spent almost another hour in the garage, making sure everything he needed was safe and secure. Not wanting Micah to find it or get hurt he padlocked the cupboard and made his way into the house. The box Kent had brought back was sitting on the side of the kitchen counter and Zavier placed one hand on top of it and took a deep breath. He wanted to open it but couldn't help feel like he didn't want to be disappointed if it wasn't what he was expecting and getting angry now would only scare Micah. He sighed as he placed the box back on the side and walked into the bedroom Micah was standing in and smiled, knowing he would be dead if it wasn't for Micah. If he had killed him he would of gone back to the mansion and he would of been swarmed and killed before he realised what was happening. Zavier had saved Micah a couple times now and he was starting to form a connection with him, feeling more for him than he would anyone else. This room was the biggest in the house and also had the best view of the lake and hoped it would help Micah relax if he could look out at the lake.

Stepping forward Zavier placed his hands gently on Micah's shoulders and gently rubbed them a little before speaking. "I want you to have this room Micha. It's by far the best in the house and as you can see it was a good view of the lake." He takes a deep breath and turns Micah to face him, looking down into his eyes. The last week Micah has been more at ease around Zavier and after spending time with Micah around his arm seeking comfort he couldn't help feel relaxed himself while he was with him. Zavier gently used his left hand to cup the side of his brothers face and was almost able to smile. "I know it's been hard and you have had to experience and see things you never thought you would have to. Things will be different now, your safe here and I am going to make sure it stays safe for you." He pulls Micah towards him and puts his arms around him, resting his brothers head against his chest. Taking a deep breath before speaking again.

"I'm going to open the box, I have to know what's inside it. I was hoping maybe you would sit with me while I do it. You should get a bath first to relax yourself after a long journey like that. I'll bring your things into your room and sit in the front room until you are done." Zavier turned and walked out of the room and as Micah bathed he brought the few things Micah had into his room and sat them on the bed. While in the store he had picked up some new clothes for Micah and placed them on the bed also. Zavier grabbed the box and took it into the front room and sat it down on the coffee table and sat down on the sofa, enjoying the fire Micah had started. He stared at the box the entire time he sat down, waiting for his brother to come out to him.

Micah jumped when the weight of Zavier's hands came down on his shoulders. His brother was as silent as a trained hunter could be. His heart rate slowed when he heard the rumble of his brother's voice, but it sped up again when Zavier's turned him and his hand lifted to cup his face. Micah's eyes didn't miss the half-smile in the dark room, or the soft way with which Zavier seemed to be painstakingly handling him. His brother pulled him into a hug, and Micah couldn't help but let go of a strangled sigh, his shoulders slumping as he let go of his tension, coming to the realization that he only really ever felt safe in Matt's arms. Micah let out a soft "thank you" against his brother's chest, some tears pricking his eyes as he thought back to how much Zavier had struggled to change to help him. He knew the killer was still there, but now… he wasn't so sure how much he actually cared.

Nodding against his brother's chest, Micah took a deep breath as well. This was another hurdle. Who knew what was inside that box? "Ok. Give me a few minutes." Micah gave Zavier one last squeeze, and then ducked under his arm. In the bath he had time to think over his worries. How devastating would that box prove? What was in it… what secret did it hold? He scrubbed himself clean twice before he was just stalling. Stepping out, his skin flushed from the hot water, Micah made his way back to the bedroom and dressed in some sweats and a t-shirt.

"Here," Micah said, emerging from the kitchen to sit at Zavier's side on the couch. He handed his brother a mug of coffee, and took a sip of his own before setting it down on the coffee table. Gesturing at the cup, "It's got cream and sugar, not sure how you take it…" his eyes fell to the box Zavier was staring at, and he grew silent. Placing one hand over his brother's on top of the box, he searched his eyes for a moment, before nodding.

Zavier looked up as Micah spoke, smiling as he reached out, took the coffee and took a sip. "perfect Micah, thank you" Taking a deep breath he looked up to his brother he let out a sigh but felt relaxed as Micah placed his hand on top of his. He had never felt comforted before, never had someone how cared about him and although it was a strange feeling he did feel comforted. Knowing he had someone there as he opened the box made him feel more able to open it, plus if it was family photo's then Micah would be the best person to be able to explain them to him. After drinking a little more of his coffee he placed the cup on the table and prepared himself to open the box, looking at Micah and then back to the table.

After taking another deep breath he moved forward to sit on the edge of the sofa and slid the lock across on the box. Zavier paused for a moment and then opened up the box and looked inside to see a gold ring, some photos and a note. Zavier recognised only one of the photo's as it was Micah and he was standing next to Zavier, although he didn't recognise himself in the photo. He was standing with his arm around Micah and they were both smiling, something he hadn't done in a long time. The other two photo's were of an older man and an older woman, maybe parents he thought but he couldn't tell for sure. He took out the photo's and spread them on the table and picked up the note.

'Matthew, I hope this letter finds you in good health. Your father and I are worried about you and Micah has hardly talked since you left. Please come home son, whatever has happened and whatever you have done I know we can work things out and be a family again. I love you Matthew. Mum.'

Zavier took a deep breath and looked down for a moment, unable to think straight as he tried to process what he was seeing and reading. After a moment he picked up the ring and tried to place it on his finger but it was to small so he knew it didn't belong to him. A look of confusion turned into a look of upset, for the first time showing real emotion. He didn't look up at Micah but he spoke softly with a sense of confusion in his tone. "Micah.....who are in the other two photo's and do you know who's ring this is?" His hand moving on top of Micah's softly and holding onto it, almost like he needed to feel someone to comfort him. The contents of this box had done more than show him things, he was feeling things he had never felt before and it almost scared him as he couldn't control it.

Micah didn't miss the way Zavier's face was drawn tight; there was tension in him, palpable tension. His hand seemed to help some of that. He didn't say anything as Zavier made his decision, just watched him, conveying with his eyes that he wasn't going anywhere. As Zavier lent forward to open the box, Micah did so to, leaning in over his shoulder, unable to help his curiosity.

What was inside the box wasn't gruesome, nor was it shocking. The pictures and the note were lifted out first by Zavier, but it was the gold ring that Micah's eyes were glued to.

He sat back against the couch, almost slumping, surprised by the weight of the emotion that had hit him in the chest like a freight train. He listened to the note, barely hearing it, but hearing his brother's voice ring out in his head,

"Hey, Micah, come here, I've got something for you."

"What is it?" Micah, 10, looked down at his brother sitting on the steps of their suburban home and stuck out his tongue when he saw his brother's hands clasped over something, "I'm not falling for that! I don't like toads!" He whined, his voice a little higher. The last time they played outside, Matthew thought it would be funny to hand his brother a small frog. It was one of the irrational phobia's his younger brother had. Micah had almost shit himself screaming.

"Shut up, brat, and sit down," Crass, but smiling, Matthew was looking up at him. Micah's lip's twitched, and despite the fact he knew there was a toad waiting in his brother's palm, he sat on his knee. Matthew shifted him in his lap, and his big hand opened slowly to reveal a small box. "Go ahead, open it, birthday boy."

Inside the box was a shiny gold ring. Micah's eyes went big, flicking from the shiny metal up to his brother's smiling blue eyes. "For me?" he asked, not believing. Their family wasn't rich… in fact, most of the time they were just getting by. Instead of answering, Matthew picked up the ring and slipped it onto Micah's ring finger. It was too big, so he changed it to his brother's thumb. Micah clutched it, worried it might slip off. Matt had chuckled as he watched his little brother play with the glinting ring in the fading sunlight.

"Happy birthday. As long as you have this, we'll be together."

Micah didn't understand how much those words would hurt until a year later, before his 11th birthday, when the table would only be set for two. They weren't the last words his brother spoke to him, but they were the ones closest to him. He played them over and over in his head, mom had never told him his brother's address, and Micah was too young to go out and find him. He'd search the post every morning and afternoon. It was on that morning when he saw a letter in their mailbox that was outgoing, his mother's handwriting scribbled his brother's name over the front. He'd taken it inside, put that piece of Matt in there, and sealed it back shut. Maybe it would make it to him.... Maybe his brother would want to come back, maybe they could be together again.

There was snuffling on the couch coming from behind Zavier's shoulders as he finished with his questions. His brother's familiar hand came to rest on his, and Micah twitched and sucked in a breath. It was as painful as an open wound. "W-what? Oh, right- ahem" He coughed, quickly wiping his eyes and lent forward, concerned with the emotion he could see in Zavier's face. Shaking fingers traced over the pictures, hovering over each of the faces. "You and me…" he said, with a slight smile, and then moved onto the other two. "Mom's in these…" he touched her face, a little younger than his memories of her. Another wave of sadness passing over him. She'd passed when he had turned 17. The face of the man… Micah furrowed his brow, trying to remember. He came up blank. He couldn't remember. Was that their father? Who…?

Micah felt his hand squoze slightly, and although he didn't want to, he straightened up, and looked back to the ring in Zavier's hand. His throat immediately tightened up again. Instead of speaking, Micah took the ring from Zavier and held it in his palm. It looked like it would fit him better now than it did years ago. He then wrapped his arms around Zavier's neck and buried into him. When he felt like he could talk, he said, "It's mine. It was a gift, your gift. And a promise."

Zavier stared at the picture of there mum and tried to remember something, anything but his mind was still blank. Micah's words hit him hard as he watched his brother take the ring and hold it in his hand and was unable to explain why but spoke three words that he was unsure were from memory or something stored that was just hiding. He took a deep breath and almost whispered, "We'll be together" pausing after he spoke to try and get himself together. It was a lot to take in and he had hoped that the contents would of triggered more memories but it seemed it was going to take more time. He reached forward for his cup and finished his coffee then turned to look at Micah. "I....I thought it would help me remember more."

He stood up and walked to the window and looked out for a moment, trying to force himself to remember but the only thing that stuck in his head were the words 'We'll be together'. He placed his hands over his face and let out a sigh before turning back to his brother and walking over to him. He gently lifted Micah up and wrapped his arms around him, holding him close and resting his brothers head against his chest. "It's not enough.....I still can't remember them." Zavier held Micah for a moment before sitting back down with his arm still around Micah. "What happened after I disappeared?" Wanting to know as much as he can.

Micah sank into his brother, at first clutching him hard, but then letting him go as Zavier needed to pace and think.

He had stood as well, "It's alright, Matt. The memories will come with time…" he said quietly, his own mouth pulled into a frown. He wasn't sure, actually. His brother's amnesia was strong. Whatever had happened after he had left had changed him… almost completely. He had the traits of a sociopath now, a sadist. Micah felt new anger rise in him. What could have done that?

Folding into his brother's hug, as it seemed so natural to do, Micah stared at the ring he was playing with in his fingers. "You left late in summer. Or not left… you… disappeared. One morning, you just weren't there. Mom almost had a heart attack."

Micah glanced down to the photos, "I don't know who he is," he pointed to the man in the photo standing beside their mom. "That could be dad. She mentioned him in that letter you read, which is strange, because Mom said he left us when I was 3. I don't remember him."

Glancing back at the ring, Micah spilled all of the story, "Mom was sending out letters to try to find you. One morning she sent that one, and I put this inside. You gave it to me on my birthday when I reached double-didgets. I sent it in the letter, hoping you'd get it, and maybe it'd make you want to come back… for me."

Micah took a breath. "Mom wasn't happy you… left. She got real ill a few years later, and when I was out one day getting groceries I came home to an ambulance. She'd had a heart attack, they told me. They couldn't save her." Micah paused, clenching his fist around the ring. "It was so hopeless. I searched for you, I asked everyone we knew, all mom's old friends. No one could tell me anything. You were just… gone. And I was alone. And then," Micah's lips turned up into a grim smirk, "well… you know the trouble I racked up."

Zavier kept hold of Micah as he spoke, wishing he knew what had happened to him. There bond was so strong and he didn't know what would make him just leave Micah like that. After a few minutes of silence Zavier turned to look into Micah's eyes and took a deep breath. "Whatever happens from here, I want you to know that I will stay with you and protect you." Zavier gently opens Micah's hand and takes the ring and puts it on his brothers ring finger. "I promise you Micah, this time I'm not going to leave you." Zavier puts his arms around his brother and kisses his forehead and looks into Micah's eyes, his own showing the strain of trying to remember.

Zavier holds Micah for a few minutes before he lets him go again and sits back down. "Hopefully Kent will have some answers when he gets here. He was always good at finding out things people shouldn't know, although I'm surprised he didn't know about you. Liam must of held that information very close to himself." Not wanting to make Micah feel uncomfortable he wants to know how he feels about Kent being with them. He takes a deep breath and speaks. "Micah, I want you to speak openly and honestly. What do you think about Kent coming here and staying a while? I don't want you to feel uneasy, If you don't feel comfortable with him staying I will tell him to find somewhere else."

Micah held on to Zavier like he was going to vanish under his hands. His arms wrapped around behind his brother's neck, he looked at the ring on his finger. It would be O.k. The kiss on his forehead was still burning, and wetness was still stinging at the corners of his eyes, but he was smiling brightly.

Micah met Zavier's eyes, "I don't have a problem with him," he mumbled, twisting the ring on his finger, "He's your friend, and you said he was trustworthy. I trust you." Micah looked back down to his lap. Of course, it was going to take a while before he was comfortable around anyone who wasn't Zavier. People just… couldn't be trusted right now.

After a moment, Micah yawned and reached over and took both of Zavier's hands. "Will you sleep next to me tonight? Not… in the chair. That's got to be uncomfortable. Just… close enough?"

Zavier listened carefully, taking note of Micah's tone and wanting to make sure he wasn't just saying it's ok so Zavier wouldn't have any more things to deal with. After Micah spoke Zavier smiled and was quite happy to stay close to his brother tonight. "Sure Micah, I'll stay close to you." If he was honest he could do with not being alone having enjoyed being close to Micah these last couple weeks. They sit for a while longer before Zavier starts to feel wired as well.

Zavier carefully lifts Micah, even though he can walk but wanting to care for him. Going into Micah's room he lays Micah down and undresses and gets into the bed beside his brother. Zavier puts his arms around him and holds him close so Micah feels safe, making himself feel better at the same time. "Get some sleep Micah, I'll be here for you tonight."

Back
Top Bottom