Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

New Beginning ... (Ignited & Distain)

He did not say a word and only smiled softly glancing at the group around them a bright smile on his face that brightened even more when he found where he would be sleeping. He stared at her wondering just why she had not turned him in and now that they where alone he could not help himself. Especially when she looked at him like he was a lost dog he smiled. "You really do have a soft heart don't you. Why did you not give me up tell them what i did? If you had you would not be stuck with me and there would no one else sleeping in your home. What will your husband think when he returns home and finds your new guest?" He could not help but force a smile rather enjoying the playful toying he had been able to give her something about her caused him to delight in tormenting her.

Vivian growls and took another drink of the bottle when he started to speak to her. She was no longer in the mood to deal with him, even remotely. She'd had every intention of just ignoring him but then she swung around decided she'd let him know exactly why she'd done this, maybe it would finally shut him up.

"My father died 5 years ago this winter, I was only 17. And his responsibilities of a councilmen, fell onto my shoulder. With his death I was left alone. This home is Mine!.. I stood up for you because..." she pauses and sighs.. " Because despite the fact I wish I could kick you so hard you'd taste your own balls, I don't want you to die. I don't want anyone hurt. The people here are protective, and I am protective of them. I honestly DO think you will be helpful here, and I will be damned sure to push you until you ready to crawl back to your truck, with your fuel and never return. But until then.. NO.. i have no husband to deal with, the man i was betrothed to was kill in an accident last harvest. So shut up ... leave me alone.. and stop standing there like you THINK you know me. " she slams the bottle back into the cabinet and storms to the leave. She needed air, and she needed to calm down, away from him!

He nodded and stared at her as he watched her intently as she spoke and yelled at him wondering if she would always hate him. He followed her from the house and turned he needed to return to his bike to gather it from its resting place before someone was killed. He walked threw the town keeping a watchful eye he still did not trust this town they had tried to kill him before and he was still new here. Returning nearly 20 minuets later riding his small bike into town the bomb having been defused. He parked it right next to his new "home" and went inside to explore a bit. Slowly walking around the house looking into ever room as he milled around aimlessly.

When she left her home, she honestly didn't care what he might do. She was so infuriated just need to get away from him. Vivian honestly had no idea what she was going to do with him. How she was going to handles the up coming days and weeks, dealing with him. Walking no where in mind she found herself in the stables, checking on her horse. The drone like task of brushing down the horse, let her ease the tension in her head and think, to defuse the irritation he'd caused her. After stalling she knew she could just leave him to his own devices for long. No telling what he might do or say, and could come back to bite her in the ass.

With a deep breath she began the walk back to her home, to face the man again. Determined to do try to be civil and build a truce between them. As she reached the door and was about to enter, she heard her name from a familiar voice. "Vivian! Tell me what I just heard its not true? You not actually housing that traveler?" The tension rose up in her shoulders again as she turned to face Dax, her deceased betrothed older brother and self proclaim 'protector'. "You can't stay here with that man.. you know nothing about him.. You coming to stay with me and Lena." Vivian voice was a bit higher though tried to be hushed, "Dax, I'm fine. I can handle this, and no I wont leave my own home, and intrude on you and Lena. " The next voice he would hear would not be so hushed. "Vivi would you think about this you thick headed woman.. you know nothing about this idiot, you were just as close to shooting his head off eariler as the rest of us, seriously how can you take responsibility for this.. this.. Who ever he is." She sighed and fisted her hands, "Dax you just have to trust my judgement. And his name is Nathan, he going to help with out with the harvest and likely take what he earns and leaves. NOW, enough... you were my damn betrothed.. Dirk was, and your not my father. You know I can take care of myself. So.. please just.. go home. I wont discuss this anymore. " Without another word she opens the door to her home and slips inside, leaving her almost brother-in-law standing outside.

It did not take long before Nathan grew a combination of bored, hungry, and restless. Deciding to go into the kitchen to see what he could piece together to make a meal. It took him nearly no time to find the basics that he would need pots, pans, and some grains. With great care and haste he set to work making the only thing he could think of with the meager ingredients he had. A recipe his cook had shown him as a way to impress a young woman on a date. He set 2 small chicken breasts in a pan to cook as he maid a simple dough that would fluff up into a light pastry. With that made he wrapped the 2 birds into their own doughy pockets and added cheese and a few spices to bring out some more flavors. It would be a small meal for the pair but he did not want to use to many ingredients with out knowing their supplies.

He heard her coming and was already almost done cleaning the up everything but the pan in the oven 2 plates and glasses already lay on the table. A small pitcher of water sat between them situated so they would be facing each other across the narrow part of the table. When she shut the door the smell of his bread and as much Italian style seasoning as he could find would surround her. Taken the little golden brown dough balls out he smiled walking into the main room of the house. "Your timing is impeccable I just finished cooking dinner. Have a seat. " His voice warm and cheerful as if he was a happy husband welcoming his wife home for dinner. Carefully he plated the meal not wanting to break the crust before they began to eat.

Moving quickly he returned the pan to the kitchen placing it in the sink and then returned to the table to eat. Setting down and watching her waiting until she was ready. Not wanting to offend any religious beliefs she might have. He had clearly brushed off the events of today already and completely ignored her threatening to kill him twice. He had actually enjoyed her spirit and it did nothing but endear her to him that she had the grit to fight both for him and against him in a matter of moments.

Vivian stop her back against the door as the smell of the food surrounded her like a blanket. She had just dealt with Dax and retreated into her home, knowing also she needed to check on the stranger left to his own devices. She had suspected he'd be up to something, but this was not it. He had cooked, and the smell was revealed he had found the meager rationing she kept stocked in her kitchen. Most people didn't keep much in there own homes since the community saved time and energy with a public kitchen. Which served the entirety of the town. Though she had the tendency to eat later then others and would cook for herself when needed. But he had prepared a meal for them. It took a long time for her to move away from the door and to the table where he had served the bread pocketed chicken breast onto a plate for her.

When she sat down, the smell of the chicken hit her with renewed force. Whatever he'd done to season the food, it smelled divine, and her mouth was more then prepared to dig in. Though again she hesitated, not because she felt frighten of the cooking. But more the reasoning. With all that had happened earlier in the afternoon, her death threats to him and attempts to maim him with a flying first-aid kit. This sort of act of peace from him threw her completely of balance. This was the utterly last thing she expected to find when she returned. She'd perhaps though to find him napping on the old chair, reading one of the few and precious books, perhaps even just reeking havoc, but not this.

She made a soft sighing sound and glance from the plate of food to his plate, and then to his eyes. She looked critical and unsure, but she did not look upset or ready to toss the meal in his face. Whatever had happen earlier was not forgotten but she was certainly willing to try to remain civil. They were going to be forced to live and deal with one another, since she would be responsible for showing him the ropes. Finally she spoke clearing her throat and licked her lips, her voice even, "I take it this is a Thanks for what I did earlier. Well your welcome. Though you don't need to cook here in the future. I usual have the supplies, but there is actually a common eating house. People are assign in the kitchens to prepare group meals 2 times a day." She pauses picking up her fork and knife and cuts and spears a chunk of the crust with the chicken. The food still steaming slightly, as she blew on it with pursed lips for a moment before tasting the food with no more waiting. The taste made her lips curl up and moan almost, but she forced herself to remain silent and took another bite, closing her eyes slightly as she chewed. Then finally she licks her lips continued what she had been saying. "I'll make the arrangements if you want to work in the kitchens?" She almost hoped he would say yes. She could pawn him to someone in the kitchen and just check up on him. Not to mention if he could have group meals this wondrous, she might not miss so many of the group dining times.

He smiled as she sat down and seemed to be inspecting him and the food he wondered if he should offer to change the plates so she would not think he poisoned her. Smiling when she spoke about it being some sort of thank you or apology almost making him chuckle. He simply thought she was cute and he enjoyed her spirit so he wanted to take the opportunity to make her happy and give her something he was sure she had not had in a while. "You can call it what ever you like for what ever you like. So long as you eat and enjoy it." He smiled and cut off a piece letting it cool a bit taking a bite it tasted good but it was not the best he had ever made the cheese she had here was not in his mind the right cheese for the dish but it did not hurt it any. "I am actually a terrible cook. This is the only dish i know how to make well I was taught it a long time ago. Though if you want me to cook it for the town i would be more then willing it is not difficult nor is it that costly in materials. " He took another critical bite wishing he had added a bit more milk and butter knowing she would not notice as it was still delightful but he had a way of picking apart his own tasks.

Vivian ate every bite of the meal he'd prepared. Even when he had tried to tell her he was a 'terrible cook', she could not bring her self to say anything to praise him. She'd just continue to eat. She was keeping silent mostly because she didn't have any idea what to talk to him about, but also she was enjoying the meal more then she wanted to admit allowed. Once the plate was cleared she couldn't keep the smile back.

As evidence of the clean plate she spoke finally did complement the meal. "That was much better then I could have done, and though the kitchens do well, a meal with simple preparation for less people tends to have a better taste. It was good, thank you." She smirks, not moving to stand or clear the table yet. Which was probably mostly due to the fact the meal was heavy and keeping her seated with a full stomach. Though sitting there she sighs and looks at him seated across from her. "Well, since we are stuck with each other until you are on your way I suppose I can answer any question about the communities and our rules here. Though I think you know by now we are a protective and close knit people, so do not think you can try to do an work without more then just my eyes watching."

He smiled and ate much slower then her watching her face intently between bites his childhood showing threw a bit as he ate properly. He still had some of his left when she had finished and continued to diode on his cooking skills which made him smirk. Listening to her speak about the town and almost ask him to question her about the village he nodded not really liking the thought of her calling it being stuck with him. "We are not stuck together. Let me barrow a few horses and some rope and ill bring my things into the town and i can live behind your house instead of in it. " He spoke softly wanting her to know he was more then willing to leave if she did not want him here. "I assume your community has the same rules as all the others i have been to i find it fairly simple to adapt from one to the other. " He smiled at her finally finishing his meal and taking their dishes and turning to go into the kitchen with out a word.

She had notice the way he ate. It was more mannered then anyone she'd ever known. It was a puzzle to her, but perhaps with all his travel he must have learned to behave like this somewhere. "No... you stay here." she said simply and stood up after he'd take her dish with out her asking. "I can't risk you leaving and dragging a trail back here." She sighs, "You have to realize we chose this location since it is set far enough away from the old road for people to accidentally come across us. You are the first stranger we have seen in over 10 years. Therefore you and I are going to have to share the same space. There is a spare room upstairs, its yours, the rest of the house I expect you to respect my things, and nothing to go missing. If you must check on your things, we can ride out tomorrow to do so, otherwise we have duties to get you started on." She was being very stern serious toned, a tone that really belong to someone older. She was young after all, but she had to grow up quickly after she'd lost her father.

He glanced at her as he finished cleaning the dishes and rolled his eyes slightly before smirking deciding to tease her a bit more and see how she would react. "I am starting to think you just want to keep me around because you like me. " He smiled turning away from the stove and removing his shirt his well toned body littered with dozens of scars. He flexed his abs and chest a bit wanting to cause her to fluster as he grabbed his duffel and his rifle and walked up stares slowly. "My bike is safe you can touch it again. Which room am i sleeping in?" He smiled having turned his back to walk up the stairs exploring opening the door to each room and looking inside.

She had gone to a chair beside the fireplace and begun checking the rifle he had messed with earlier. Trying to find something to distract her and remain normal. Though having another in her home was an oddity, she was finding the present in the home to be a bit relaxing. Until he spoke again. The statement about her 'liking' him and the tone of how he implied it cause her to snapped her eyes up with a scowl. But instead of scowling her eyes widened to see him removing his shirt and picking up his things to head up the narrow steps into the small second floor. 2 bedrooms and bathroom. But her eyes were too busy staring at the scars on the sculpted torso. She seen plenty of shirtless men working in the fields, but something about the fact he was there stand in her home took her off-guard.

It took her a blushing moment to blink and find words, but he was already upstairs exploring. "Uh.. the room on the .. NO.. " She heard his steps moving to the wrong room. She placed down the rifle and rushed upstairs, "Stay out of my room." But it was too late. He would have opened the room and seen the 'secret world' of Vivian. It was nothing shocking, but she never let anyone see her art. And ever since her Father had died her painting and drawings were all she had. Most of the painting were mixtures of shapes and colors, combining to form abstract forms and shadows. They seemed to range from vibrant, happy, warm, and sensual in the colors and textures. She had not yet even shown her betrothed before his death.

"Who painted all these? " He said softly looking at her taking a deep breath and walking into the room still holding his things and flexing his strong muscles. He took a sighed looking around the room walking up to the paintings and gently running his finger over some of the art. He let out a soft sigh as he enjoyed the art the first time he had seen art like this since he left his home. He continued to mill around the room ignoring her protests inspecting each and every piece of art for long period of time. He had always enjoyed looking at art as he grew up it was the one thing he missed about being at home.

She entered the room behind him, she frowning. "Me, alright.. now would you leave my room please." She waiting holding the door open but he made no move to listen. Instead he continued moving in a circle around her room where some of the paintings were hung, or leaning against furniture. She had more stacked in a corner as well, behind, and under her bed. After a moment she finally spoke again. "I asked you to leave nicely. I'm asking again, please get out, Your rooms the one down the hall when you first come up the stairs." She seemed nervous and embarrassed, even more so then when he'd pulled off his shirt. Her face flushed, as he still ignored her again. Finally she moved and grabbed at the strap on the bag as if to pull him and the bag out of the room.

He ignored her as he continued to to look around the room slowly fanning threw the stack in the corner kneeling down. He continued to run his fingers over the canvases moving them with the the delicate care of someone who had worked with art all his life. It had only been a few moments when after she gripped the strap slowly pulling the a piece out that was filled with dark reds and swirls that just screamed to him of her passion. "Can I hang this one in my room to make it feel more homey I really do like it. " He smiled turning to face her one hand holding the top of the painting his free hand slipping behind her gently rubbing her lower back. His eyes showed his honesty he clearly wanted this painting the question would only be if they could work out a deal.

"What?.. " she looked at the painting he chosen, remembering the vivid dream she'd had before painting it. She bites her lip sighing. "No.. no.. they stay in my room, they always have." She shook her head, as she kept moving with him toward the door, noticing the firm warm of his hand against her back, but doing her best to ignore it as long as he left her room. When they reach the door she speaks again."No Nathan, I never shown anyone any of this before.. ..there no reason to, and I like to keep it that way." She swallows pulling away from his hand on her back and steps in front of him to take back the painting. She seems unnerved and nervous. Almost frightened he might tell the rest of the town about her hidden passion. A passion she did in private because she liked avoiding the question that it might raise.

He frowned as she pulled the painting from his hand and slipped from his grasp. "I have not given up I will find a way to get you to allow me to brighten up my room with your art. You are quite good and If you wanted im certain you could make a living off those paintings. In big cities people are starting to buy art again the thing is there is not much of it around. " He frowned a bit as she seemed to be banning him from her room. "Why do you hide your talent? " He looked at her and stared into her eyes wondering what she was actually hiding from the town.

Vivian turns for a moment, leaving him standing in the hallway. As she lays the painting down carefully and then exits her own room, closing the door behind her. "I'm not hiding things, I am just .. There are more important things I have to do, I have responsibilities here. And I am expected to be a leader as my Father was. So just leave it be. And don't tell the others what you saw.. perhaps I will consider letting you take a painting for keeping silent." There was a lot she wasn't telling him, but she seemed to want to stop talking about it. "I show you to the room you can stay in." She seems sad especially when he assure her she could have made a living in the cities. Like perhaps at one time she'd actually thought of doing just such a thing.

"You have a deal you let me have a painting and ill keep your secret. " He smiled placing his hand on her back as she lead him along wanting to cheer her up. His hand rubbed up and down in a small area on her lower back smiling as she lead him around. He smiled as she led him into the room he was delighting in tormenting her and at the same time he was trying to figure out just what was going on in her head. She intrigued him it was rather interesting to him that she seemed to be wrapped in contradictions.

She blushes again and slips away from his arm, letting him examine the room she was giving to him for the length of his stay. "Just get settled into your room, the bathroom is across the hall here, then you should rest. We will be getting up at dawn." The room was basically the same size as hers but seemed empty compared to her room that had been clattered with colorful painting. It was comfortable enough with simple furniture and nothing much else, much like the rest of the house. "And Nathan, stop thinking I don't know what your trying to do, you may think our community is small and secluded, but I am not naive. Just do the work we give you and quit trying to charm me." She didn't wait for a response, she didn't care what he had to say. She seemed to have her opinion of what he was, a nomad with no ties to anywhere, and only caring about himself.

She left him then and retreated back to her own room. She sat on her bed and picked up the painting she had left there, with a sigh she replaced it from where he had pulled it out of a pile. Then she moved to the easel she had setup in the corner. Somehow all the things of the day had her fingers tingling to paint. She picked up the paint she had hand made, and began to work on a new canvas. By the time she realized it time to sleep, the painting was swirling with a vivid feeling of frustration and longing.

She stripped to just an under shirt and underwear then fell into the bed, mentally and physically drained she fell asleep. Her eyes opening hours later to see the sun was in fact about to rise. She groaned and rolled from the bed, moving to the bathroom to take a cool shower to wake herself.

He frowned as she called him on what he was doing she had pegged him perfectly. He was exactly what she thought he was and he was doing exactly what she thought he was doing. He wanted a someone to keep him warm at night and she was lovely and he found her fascinating. He smiled as he turned to speak to her but she had already left. With a groan he threw his bag down on the side of the bed and took off his pants laying down in just his boxers. He stared at the plain walls and smiled everyone he knew from home would have thought him mad but he loved the simple life. Having to sleep with a rifle next to his bed and a knife under his pillow made him feel alive. He had learned everything the hard way and his body showed the scars caused by leading that life.

He woke early the next morning just before dawn as he had gone to sleep earlier then normal slipping into the bathroom he drew some water and cleaned up quickly. It was just before dawn when he slipped from the bathroom wearing just a fresh pair of boxers. He then slipped into his room leaving the door cracked so he could hear here get up and sat on his bed preparing himself for what he would need today. Retrieving his pistol and a fresh set of cloths for the day and pulling out an old Pittsburgh Steelers hat and putting it on to keep his hat out of his face.

Vivian made her time in the shower quick, letting the cold water wash over her as she woke her mind for the up coming day. Once she is awake and clean she grabbed too towels, wrapping her hair in one and the other around her form. Moving back into her room to dress for the day. She's seen his door open a crack but didn't bother to check on him. First of all she was going to give him the privacy of his room and hoped he would do that same. Towel drying her hair to a point she let it hang loose around her shoulders and back for the moment. Getting dressed into her normal attire, a shirt, armless jacket type vest, jeans, and boots.

She was ready for whatever the day brought. Finally she left her room and moved down the hall her steps loud enough to give him plenty of warning she was approaching, She knocked on the door and peered inside. "I'm glad to see your up, we need to get moving, I spent in a bit longer then I had meant to. If you want breakfast we need to go now. And we want to eat, it likely to be a busy day." She was back to her serious tone and a bit of a tired look to her, though he wouldn't have know she was up half the night painting unless he snuck into her room.

"Should i bring my rifle?" He spoke softly standing in a simple button up shirt leaving the collar and the top button undone. He stood not attempting to hide the pistol tucked into his belt or the knife tucked into the boot that came up to the base of his calf. The old work boots where in great shape despite being well worn as where his jeans that had clearly been worn a great deal. He gathered his rifle holding it in his hands the sling hanging down next to him as he walked to the door if he would not need it he would leave it next to the door.

"Yes, I think unless there is some that is critical to do today is a good day to introduce you to the entirety of the things we do. I take you around the building, show you how we generate our power, care for the livestock, plan to organize the harvest, and anything else the might need to be done. Then I can discuss and figure out where your needed." She tells him the entire time she is already walking down into the main room and grabbing her rifle, knowing he would be following. "Any questions?" She asks and starts walking toward the front door.

He smiled and slipping the rifle on his shoulders as he walked behind her not hiding the fact he was checking her out. "No questions of yet unless i am able to talk you into helping me get my car here i will need it sooner or later. " He said softly having no intention of taking his bike out 5 gallons at a time to fill his massive gas tank. He had every intention of spending the rest of the making sure she knew exactly how pretty he thought she was. This mind wandered back to the things setting in the car wondering if he could find anything worth doing anything with. He smiled and waved at people keeping his charm up flirting politely with all the ladies who actually came up to him and spoke to him.

Back
Top Bottom