Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

New Beginning ... (Ignited & Distain)

IgnitedFire

Supporter
Supporter
Vivian Crimson downed the water in the canteen at her side as she sat on her saddle near the edge of the farming property. Her dark wine red hair was braided back slink against her head. The thick braid hanging down her back, with only a few escaped strands framing her face. She liked the change from working the field to ride for the day and patrol the small communities livelihood. The tiny settlement town had been hidden in the plains surrounded by miles and miles of trees for nearly 20 years. Her parents had lead the 10 families to the sanctuary of sorts. Those families had grown over the years and now the town was settling into almost 120 residents. Her parents gone now, her mother when she was young and her father nearly 5 years ago. But the town still held her in honor and respect of what her family had helped to start, even at a young age of 22.

The people rotated the field and rotated tasks day to day or, week to week. They all worked hard together to keep the farms healthy, their main food source plentiful. Today she was on patrol and hunting duty. Ride the perimeter and shoot any deer or other animals they could cook and eat. She patted the soft mane of the horse beneath her and listened to the rustling coming from the field to her right. She turned in direction of the noise and watched the tall stalks of corn carefully. Without hesitation she lifts the rifle up, she clear sky blue eyes taking aim, as the began sweeping the barrel over the rows of crops. Almost certain she heard something that wasn't suppose to be there. As she began to ease her finger against the trigger, a lone doe and her young sprung out of the tall stalks of corn. She lowered the rifle and relaxed again. Vivian made a loud quick clicking sound bringing her presents to the attention of the animals. Then watched the deer and her fawn sprint off back into the woods.

Nathans parents had all but rebuilt the city of Sydney after the wars over there 50 years of hard work they where the richest family in all of the southern hemisphere. He hated not being able to have a normal life or even do anything with out being treated differently. After 20 years of dealing with being the best known person in the city he left leaving the city and his family fortune in the care of his sister. He flew first to Canada and from there he vanished slipping over south into the former United States. He made an honest living there working as a farm hand or mechanic until he could afford to fill the massive gas tank in the trunk of his car. When he was able to do so he left driving as far as a tank could get him just enjoying living the life of the stranger.

His car had ran out of gas about 10 miles back at the edge of the massive forest and he had hid in a small cave along a rivers edge. Taking only his what he could carry on his back he set out with the dirt bike he kept in his car. His large back pack hanging from his shoulders a pistol tucked into his waist band and an old 30-30 in a holster along the side of his bike. He set out into the woods deciding to cut across the forest until he found a town that he could buy some gas from. He decided to push the old bike not wanting to drive way any animals or draw to much attention.

He had been walking for nearly a day and a half when he pushed his bike to the edge of the clearing. Pausing he leaned the green and black bike against a tree and knelt down looking over the fields. Clearly someone had made a living here and he was hoping they would have some gas. He stayed there leaning against the tree watching the fields trying to spot a hint as to if they where friendly or not. His long brown hair and thick unshaven beard covered most of his face, he had not been able to buy a new razor in nearly a month since he had traded his for some bullets.

She was seated on top of a tall caramel colored horse, her own appearance might seem pretty unimpressive to him until he took a bit of a closer look. He'd notice the clothing was handmade, even her boots seemed old and repaired. Her rifle though quite powerful, seemed to have been repaired and reassembling possibly multiple times. As she was scanning the tree line his form would suddenly come into view. She looks at the man and almost immediately thinks to shoot him. She lifts the rifle aimed at his head, her eyes scanning him form from were he was perhaps 100 yards away, and hesitates. She didn't believe is killing someone for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

She then fired a warning shot, clearing over the tops of the crops, but embedding itself into the tree above him. It was both to send a warning to the others, as well as frighten the intruder. She yelled out to him immediately after the echo of the shot faded. "I don't know who you are or how you came to be here, but you have to the count of 3 to show me your hands and throw out any weapons you have." She paused and started her count. ".. 1……… 2……"

He had been inspecting her from afar and watching her intently when she raised her rifle his hand went to his. He watched as she drew down on him his hand slowly inching his rifle from its holster. When she fired he spun pulling the rifle from its holster in a move he had practiced hundreds of times. His body vanishing behind the tree a soft click was all that could be heard as he cocked the old rifle. "I will show you my hands but I am damn sure not throwing my weapons away so you can shoot me when im defenseless!" He yelled back to her slowly sticking his hands out from behind the tree his rifle laying in his lap. "You fired first after all I did not even have my weapons until you drew yours. " He called out trying to talk her down from shooting him with a practiced manor as he had done it several dozen times in his life. "You want to talk come talk but you stop pointing that damn gun at me!"

Vivian smirks at this point his reaction skills had impressed her, but she also knew she for the moment had the upper hand. "FIRST.. I didn't shoot at you, I shot near you .. and if you'll keep that gun pointed to the ground, i'll keep mine at the sky. I'd say you have about 2min before the others figure out where my shot came from and show up. So start talking they aren't so understanding as I am."

She slowly took her aim away from him, the horse beneath her nickering and shifting a bit restlessly as she let the barrel of her gun point skyward. She let her words settle and started again with more to say, "Look its no offensive to you in particular but we do not get visitors, so how the hell did you find us, and what do you want?" Her eyes watching him carefully but also with curiosity.

He took a deep breath and stood reaching out from behind the tree and slipping his rifle into its holster. He then stood and moved to his bike pulling the pistol from his belt. He wanted her to know he was still armed so he let it hang. "I came threw the woods. I ran out of gas on the other side of the forest I walked out here trying to get to the other side. I am just looking to work to earn enough to fill up my car and my bike. I mean no threat to you or your town. Just some good honest work until i can afford to move on." He spoke softly moving to set on the bike if he saw more coming this way he would need to be ready to run. Setting it wrist on the handle so that pistol still pointed at the ground his foot rested on the kick start.

As she listened to his words, she bites her lip hearing the others now closing in on horseback. She did understand, even admired the idea he was looking to work for the fuel, not just try to steal or attack. She scanned him carefully, seeing him on edge and ready to take off. She had a feeling he was not lying, though he was still a unknown man, and for all she knew the best liar ever born. Her eyes seemed to have softened slightly. But her voice was still stern and protective."Do yourself a favor and just don't try anything, if your really just wanting work for trade you only look guilty of something else if you ran. There isn't any other communities around for days anyhow, so we're all you got."

She frowned then hearing others shouting out for her.."Vivian.. VIVI Girl where are you?!" She Turned toward the shouts for a moment though her rifle staying aimed at the sky. She glances away and whistles sharply. "Over here.. We have company!" She didn't wait to see if he'd listened to her suggestion about not running, instead she holster her rifle and turn toward the approaching riders. In a few breaths half a dozen men on horse back were charging toward them her, each with weapons, but not all guns. The weapon ranged from another rifle like her own, a few smaller caliber hand guns, a cross-bow, and a machete! It was probably the oddest collection of Men and weapons he would have expected to see.

He moved slowly and tucked the pistol into his belt starting the bike and pulling it forward a bit angling it so if he need he could flee into the woods. He stared at the woman on horse back hoping she would not betray him. He fought the urge with all his might to to resist the urge to fight or run. If she was telling the truth she was right he needed their gas and did not wish to go that far to get more. He stared down at the odd menagerie of men and weapons and it relaxed him a bit, at least he would not be fleeing well trained soldiers if he needed to run.

She spoke with one of them, an older man might be old enough to be a father, but she didn't look anything alike. He's might pick up a few words..'could be a scout' 'supposedly just wants to work in trade'. Though she nods to the older man and dismounts, her hands clearly holding no weapon but her has rope and a knife on her hips. Pulling the length of rope off her side she looks up at him, now only perhaps 10ft from where his sat on the dirt bike. Lost or not outsiders weren't trusted. She stepped closer and motioned to one of the others that happen to be behind him now.

As if trying to plead with her eyes for him to listen she spoke again. "You need to come with us to speak with the council...Your things wont be taken. But you have to turn around and grab your wrist behind your back, do it quickly or someone not so nice is going to make you do it, or decide to just shoot. I really putting my neck out for you here, but you need to understand we have to be sure you mean us no harm."

He moved slowly taking his time as he was not a fan of this concept he did not like being bound. Taking his back pack off he and hanging it on the handle bars placing his knife pistol inside. He then locked the bag and stood leaning the bike against a tree as he slipped from the back. "I would not touch my bike or anything on it if i where you. " He spoke softly reaching down flipping a switch hidden deep under one of the panels of the bike. A soft red light visible from under the metal plate coupled with a soft beep at regular intervals. He turned and stepped away from the bike he had rigged the bomb into the gas tank long ago as a way of protecting his things. Once he was about 5 feet from the bike he placed his hand behind his back and looked at the young woman. "If this is a trick... you better pray they don't fail to kill me. " He said softly his hard shell from years of distrust showing he was used to this sort of treatment. He had many scars from failed traps and he always expected to get a fresh one.

"I promise nothing will be missing, It no trick just a precaution. If you don't start anything, then no one will do you harm here." Vivian, weaved the rope with expert ability. His hand were quickly bound. None the men still sat watching intently, even after he was tied. "I just have to be sure you have no weapons concealed." She told him giving him a moment to let the words sink in before she was patting down his chest, hips, legs, and everywhere in between. Of course they found nothing dangerous, unless you count the feel of his tone body beneath her hands.

She felt the lean body and strength, but she was doing her best to act aloof. She seemed to be a bit pinker in the face when she stood up straight again. Tilted her head, her blue eyes lock with his eyes, then turns without another word to him. "Alright.. he's clean.. " She tells the others then motions him to walk with her. "Follow me, we have a bit of a walk back. Once the council is called you can talk to them about your request for trade."

He looked at her as she patted him down the moment she was done he smirked. "You mist a spot." Everyone knowing full well he was just trying to fluster her by pointing out the only area she had not touched him. His eyes falling to his groin if he had to be humiliated she did to. He knew she would never find the blade in his belt as it was nearly flat and tucked into his belt. He had hid it there for exactly this situation though he would not make a move for it until she was about to free him. He wanted to prove to her that he allowed himself to be bound by choice not by fear. He followed her closely glancing around at the small town as they walked.

Her face became almost crimson to match her hair as he mentioned 'missing' a spot, though in her pridefulness she ignored him. Vivian was secure that if he had an actual weapon (in his pants where she hadn't checked), then she'd deserved the surprise if he could access it with the way she'd bound his hand behind him. As they walked she held the reins of her horse, and kept her pace just ahead of him.

As he walked he'd notice the rough irrigation, barns for animals and equipment, some plumbing, and building other structure being used for storage. After a 15min walk he'd finally get a glimpse of the town. It was very rough. Small log cabins that seeming to be center in rows in the middle these acres and acres of farm land. Perhaps 40 total, no power-lines would be seen, though once close enough some wires seemed to branch form building to building. But not like one would think to normally see. Once they entered the town he was brought to one of the humble cabin like huts, Vivian tied up her horse, before guided him inside "Um.. just try to relax a moment, and don't touch anything." She closed the door and muffled low hushed voices would be too low to make out the words.

He have the time to look around instead. The 'house' it seemed they had him waiting was one that did seemed lived in. There was small iron wood or coal stove, a sink with water plumbing and drainage in one front corner of the room, the other side of the door in the opposite corner was a table with benches on either side. There wasn't much but a simple wood flooring, fireplace, with hand crafted sitting. A narrow stairway would disappear up above him which likely was where bedrooms and a bathroom would be located. Actually everything would seem to be excellently hand crafted.

Not long after they'd left him alone, Vivian would enter without the others. Holding her rifle in the nook of her arm, unthreateningly, she place it on the table, before turning to face him. Blue eyes and seem to be trying to decide what to do with you. She sighs sitting on the bench, so her back is held up by the edge of the table. "So... do you have a name?"

He looked around quickly as his fingers worked on the knife in his belt no thicker then a credit card. Taking the thing sheet of metal and slipping it between the ropes his finger moved slowly not wanting to cut clean threw just yet. Slowly he worked the ropes and moved to lean against the wall near the table to block view of his hands. He smiled as she walked out his ropes nearly weak enough to break threw at will. He stared at her as she set the rifle down a bit annoyed she had held it like she meant to shoot him. "Do i need one? I am just looking for some gas and a place to stay while i earn it after all. " He said calmly if she wanted to play power games he would let her but he was not about to just give in and look weak in this world it could cost you your life.

She watched him closely, seeming to think she might be able to see him flinch or some other sign he was lying and was there for more than just what he said. Instead she sighed when he refused to give his name. "Well if your allowed to stay you going to need to have some sort of name, though perhaps we'll just call you Gas, since it seems all you want from us away." She turns away leaving the rifle on the table, thinking he was perfect secure as she check out the small window for the others. "The others will be here in a few minutes, I suggest you try not to sound so disrespectful. This land is all we have and yes we protect it with all we are. So maybe you can get off whatever high-horse you feel your on and realize you need our help. We don't need yours." She said what she had to say in a stern tone, starting to regret she'd put her neck on for him when she'd insisted he be given a chance to speak with the towns leaders.

He smirked and finished cutting threw the rope giving a slight wince as he cut his arm. Tucking the blade into the palm of his hand he reached out smirking and quickly but quietly opened the breach of the gun and removed the bullet. He then removed the lever that closed the breach and slipped it into his pocket. Smiling he kicked the bloody ropes under the table so she would not see them and returned to his place pretending to still be bound. Smiling as the breach of her gun laid open the bullet laying next to it on the table. He knew just by looking at her that he could control her in a hand to hand fight if she decided to bring it to blows. "Nathan. And i don't own a horse and my bike is not very tall. If anyone was riding around on a high horse it is you and your men. Thinking you can just shoot at people for no reason and have them not react in turn. " Smirking hoping to inspire her to anger wanting her to reach for her gun or better yet attack him. "A man setting next to a tree just looking and he gets a bullet flying at his head are your people really that violent and uncivilized. "

Vivian shook her head and didn't immediately look back toward him as he revealed his name and counters with snide remarks. By the time he was on the words 'violent and uncivilized', she had turned and glared at him with eyes and seemed to be blurred with anger? She swallows hard and scowls. "You HAVE no right to try to tell us how to live, and your the one that was trespassing, perhaps I should have shot you. You would learned to .. " she stopped mid-sentence her eyes having finally noticed the rifle, bullet, and breach on the table. Her eyes then snapped back at his form, and her face seemed to pale in panic. Though instead of reaching for the useless rifle or launching herself forward to attack a man, one that she was smart enough to realize was no longer bound, she took a step back. Becoming defensive and worried, slowly her fingers slide around the handle of the knife that was strapped to her leather clad thigh, and she kept her eyes lock on him.

He did not flinch as she started to yell at him merely bracing so he could counter the attack he knew was coming when she stopped yelling he smirked. "You know it is rude to tie people up when they are just trying to be friendly. " He smiled quickly tucking the blade back into his belt letting his arms hang in front of him slipping his hand into his pocket holding out the piece of the rifle. His arm bleeding rather badly moments after he held out his hand drops of blood began dripping down his middle finger and to the floor. He seemed not to care as the wound did not look grievous just a large flesh wound. "If you would like it back all you have to do is promise to be nice, and tell me your name." He smiled knowing he did not have much time before he got into a much larger fight then he was prepared for.

"Nice?! You want me to be nice?.. " she almost laughs and swallows a choked sound. "Look you been trouble since the moment i set eyes on you. What I regret now is the fact I have been nice, THAT I told the others I thought you were harmless. Now I wish I had told them to just shoot you .. or I should have done it myself. " She caught the sight of the dripping blood and again sighed. Seeming to curse under her breath and then aloud. "Dammit, what ... you bleeding all my floor.." She seemed suddenly torn between hurting him more and helping stop the bleeding wound. With an irritated noise that almost seemed like a growl, she turned her back on him and went to a cabinet behind her, grabbing what he would see was only a first-aid kit. "Sit down and please just keep you mouth shut, I going to fix you arm and then I hope the council gets here so I can get you out of my home."

As she ranted about how they had met he walked over and put her gun back together with one hand. Loading it and recocking it. As she told him to sit he did just that laying his arm on the table holding the gun by the barrel setting the butt on the bench in front of him. "I don't think you want me out of your house. I also don't think you have the stomach to shoot someone. "He held the gun out to her almost challenging her to shoot him he liked the fire in her eyes it had always been his weakness. A woman who could get so mad she just wanted to kill you. It helped that he had a bit of a death wish so if she did shoot him he would not mind. "If you had the heart of a killer you would not be willing to bandage me. You would not have tried to talk me down when i told you i was not going to give my guns up. Now stop trying to act like your father and start acting like yourself. I know you care about this town but your no militant leader. " He stared at her the entire time doing everything he could to read her like a book and he was fairly sure he had her pegged.

Vivian looked at him. Just simply stared at him like she'd been frozen. Then suddenly with almost no warning her hurled, not just tossed or thrown, but hurl the small tin first-aid kit at his head. "YOU.. YOu fucking.. " she leaped forward grasping the rifle and yanking out of his hands. She took aim her finger on the trigger as her eyes filled to the brim with tears. If she shot him she probably miss. Good thing he was right, she didn't have it in her to shoot him.

She lowered the barrel and turned to walk away, trying to hide the tears having broken the rim of her eye lids and started down her cheeks. Of course at that moment came the knock at the door. From the other side of the door came a voice, "Vivian, I have the council here, They want to meet the visitor. You alright in there? Someone heard a noise..." She seemed to pull herself together remarkably well, and turned to open the door, letting 5 people file in thru the open doorway. They all seemed a bit confused by the fact he was not tied any longer and his arm was bleeding. The older man speaking he would recognize from the field, "What happened here?" Vivian swallows hesitant for a rather long moment. "Nothing, I um.. cut him loose, but my knife slipped.. I tossed the first-aid kit to him but i missed.. thats probably the noise someone heard." She lied, and then closed the door. She just wanted him gone she didn't want him dead. Why? She had no idea. He certainly tried he best to get her to shoot him.

He ducked quickly out of the way as the tin case flew at his head crashing behind him quickly recovering and turning to her. He stared into her eyes as she snatched the rifle from him and pointed at him staring unblinking. If she was going to kill him he was going to make her look him in the eyes as she did. Soon realizing she did not have it in her to shoot him he turned while she was still pointing the rifle at him and grabbed the kit. With out a word he opened it gathering the things he needed to bandage himself. Looking at her from time to time clearly not longer scared of her trying to figure out exactly what was bothering her. When the men came in he was already stitching himself up preparing for what ever they where about to do to him for threatening her. When she lied for him he looked at her stunned for a brief moment trying to figure out why she did not turn him in. He remained silently staring at her ignoring the men that had entered the room as he wrapped his arm tightly.

The 3 men and 2 women that made up the council, scattered a bit around the room. They each kept themselves facing Nathan. "Alright now, we are all informed about why you have said you how come to our town. But we like to know, where your were headed? There is nothing out along the old road you must have been traveling." A woman speak with dark brown hair grey showing. Then another speaks this time the man that was standing beside her closely like a husband. "Also if we decided we can use the help and accept the trade of labor for a agreed upon timeframe, what would you find fair? We have little to spare here so you must realize our fuel is a very precious resource for us." The others seemed to have similar questions, the next that followed were.. "What skills can you perform that are of use to us?" and "You have to agree to live by own laws and rules if you stay.. Are you willing to do that?"

As the series of questions where asked he might notice Vivian was standing back but not apart from these people, almost like she was one of the council herself, even though she seemed to be half the age of all the others.

He did not say a word until they had all stopped talking spending his time listening and fixing his arm. Once it was bandaged he flexed his hand a bit trying to get the blood flowing threw the tight bandage. He glanced at Vivian for a few long moments before he began to speak. "I am not going anywhere in particular. I just drive from town to town working to fill the gas tank and moving on when I am done. Some times it takes longer then others I understand that in these times 75 gallons is a lot of gas and i don't want to short anyone. I take as much as can be spared, it has been a week or more since i saw anyone on that old road and i liked it that way. It is a bandits road after all, part of the reason i took it seems they have the best work for a man like me. "He paused taking a deep breath and gathering a cloth out of the kit and kneeling on the ground cleaning up his own blood off her floor quickly while he thought about what to say next.

He stood slowly and tossed the rag on the table having cleaned up his mess glancing at Vivian again. "All i am looking for is a bed and what ever you would give anyone else for their work. I will trade what ever I can spare for gas until i have enough to get to the next town. I have no intention of over burdening your people. I am know my way around most weapons can use then repair them and even make some of them. I can fix just about anything with next to nothing and if it has a motor i can make it work. Other then that... i am as strong as any man and im not to particular about what i do. All i ask is that you keep your guns pointed in a different direction i must say... I have had about enough of that today to last me for my whole stay. "

When he'd answered the questions with reasonable and honest answers, they all seemed to look around at one another and then older man he'd seen before turns to Vivian. "Do you still stand by you statement you gave about his harmlessness? Since you were the one to found him and spent the most time in his presents, do you still believe we can trust him?"

Vivian watches as all eyes turned to her. Dammit why had her father had to die and leave the position as a council member on her shoulders? She forces a slight smile to her lips and then speaks. "I do stand by what I said before Kane, I do think he is rather strong and skilled but not danger to our community. Let him stay and help with the numerous tasks we have. We all know we need the extra hands for the harvest." She didn't look at him once as she spoke, instead she seems to be counting the breaths until he'd get out of her home.

They others seemed to listen to her words and mill them over with great deliberation until one of the women spoke."Vivian are you sure? This is your vote.. you realize if you speak for him like this, he shall be your responsibility? If something goes wrong, you will be seen as guilty as him?" Vivian swallows and sighs squaring her shoulder and nods. The rest of the groups seem to nod one at a time. "Then its agreed, He can stay. And since there is no other home with extra space and he'll board here with Vivian. He is your responsibility, he stays here with you." says Kane stern tone that seems everyone is agreement with the idea. Accept Vivian, who looks ready to throw something again, but she surprisingly keeps her lips pressed together. With no more to discuss the others turn toward the door to leave.

Only Kane stops and speaks to Vivian softly, "If you need anything Vivi girl just say it.." This was Vivian chance to tell them, to come clean and get rid of him. But if she told them what he'd done with the rifle, the fact really didn't like him, it could get him killed, and dammit to hell she didn't think he deserved that. So instead she simply said. "Its fine Kane, I can handle myself, You known my Dad and you know I'm even more hard headed then he was." She smirks and says the goodbyes, then shuts the door behind the group.

Only with them gone does her eyes glance toward him again. The look she gives him was like she'd just adopted a stray dog and was allergic to them. She steps over to a cabinet and pulls down a bottle of whisky. The label was cracked and torn but the liquid inside looked golden as it should. She pop the cap off and lifted the opening to her lip and took a long deep gulp. Then leaned against the wall, saying nothing.

Back
Top Bottom