Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A priest bewitched heart (Wolvenrogue and nightsorceress)

"I do not take orders from you, so I will not be wearing a shall just because you say so." She looked at him as he looked over body.

"You told me to consider my vows and then ignore my request? To what end? You want to see me removed from the pulpit? It will be that or you will be run out of town as a witch!" he let go of her arm and took her grocery bag from her, and walked with her to the house.

"Why do you assume me a witch still, have I tried to cast any spells force you to drink some potion, you are just going on what you see as different, that I will not fear you" she walked beside him

"I made no such assumption, but that matters little. Don't you see that appearances are everything? Why do you think that a simple shawl is so important? If they see a change, the town will see me as in control, and lose their fear."

"Well sir, I don't want them to see you 'in control' of me, I am not some dog that needs to be put on some leash. My visits to town are rare enough that I do not need a leash."

"Then they will continue to fear you and press for your being run out as a witch. They ask me about you daily. If I do nothing, it will be me who has to leave, and then what was the point in my staying in the priesthood as you encouraged me to consider."

"I don't want to control you really, Its just to allow the appearance of it. Is wearing a shawl so much to ask?" He was frustrated with the woman. It seemed to him that she was not using common sense.

"Yes it most certainly is. Why not go back to the town and tell them I mean no harm, why do I have change to make them happy, I am not complaining about them, I do not go to town unless I need to."

" Well, that may make sense to you, but we are dealing with roomers not with common sense. They aren't going to take my word for it. Besides that, they see your manner of dress as threatening to them, so no matter how you mean it, I can't help you." He handed her the groceries back at her door, and looking dejected turned away.

Lillian took her bag and then looked at him, "I am not going to change who I am for anyone, if I was I would have done it years ago, I understand where you are coming from, but at the end of the day I can not be anyone else but myself. And if that gets me drive out of town or worse then so be it but at least I lived true to myself"

"Yes and obviously you only care about yourself not the lives you leave in ruins with your temptation. You can pretend all you want that you don't know it, but its true! That you have to live with. I wont lie and say you mean no harm. I'll tell them the truth that you don't care what harm you cause!"

He turned and walked away. He was angry and hurt. Witch or no witch, he had been made a fool by her. He burned with resentment when he thought of it.

Lillian shook her head, he wanted her to change for the sake of ignorant people. She walked into her house and unpacked her things

He went back to town feeling depressed. He was a shattered man. He had denied his vows, and been unsuccessful at turning her. He felt a complete failure at that moment. He dreaded the questions he knew would be coming. He went back to his room and began to pack. When his meager belongings were in a suitcase. He sat down at his desk, and considered how best to end his ministry, and possibly his life. He wrote a letter of resignation, and sealed it, leaving it on his desk. Then he simply walked out of town. The next morning, the housekeeper found the note and the word was around town in minutes. He had walked out past the woman's house and was sleeping in the woods.

Lillian went to bed that night but there was an uneasy feeling, she slept fitfully and when the sun rose the next morning she left her house towards the feeling. There in the woods not far from house was the priest sleeping. Gently tried to wake him. "Sir wake up"

"What do you want with me? haven't you done enough?" He rolled over and turned his back on her.

Lillian stood upright again. "Well then fine I will leave you out her, was just going to offer you a place to stay but fine." She walked away from him.

As he lay there in the woods, it began to rain, and soon his teeth chattered as he huddled on the ground. After an hour, his lips blue with cold. He made his way to her porch, and knocked at the door. He couldn't have felt more defeated, physically or mentally.

Lillian went back to the house and closed the door. It was about an hour later when she heard the knock. She opened the door and looked at him soaking wet. "Would you like to come in now?"

"Honestly no. " he said, "but it is preferable to freezing to death. In all my life, I have never had such a lesson in humility. I haven't changed my mind that you are egotistical, and inherently evil, but I placed my self in this situation and I won't shirk the responsibility for the pain I am in."

"Well since you put it so nicely come right in." She shook her head and stepped away from the door allowing him entrance. She the went and got him a towel. "Here sit down next to the fire dry off and warm up"

He thanked her for the towel, and sat by the fire. "What made you come for me? How did you even know I was out there? I'm sorry I was impolite."

"Because unlike the town people I am not some monster I am not going to let some get sick or die out in the woods, I can offer my help if you don't want to take it that's fine but at lest I offered" she sat down across from him

Back
Top Bottom