Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Crossing Worlds (Minako2012 and Nekrosilisk88)

She swore under her breath this wasn't good he was observant not like most Mundanes but she hadn't figured he'd have thought this much. Looking over at him she let out a frustrated sigh and shook her head.

"I'm gonna kill him" She grumbled "He knows better...damnit Mark"

She was pissed at her brother but she had to focus on right now and she looked out the window. His question couldn't easilly be answered hell she wasn't allowed to answer it. Her eyes trailed back over to him and then to his pocket and ran a hand through her hair.

"I can't tell you" She told him.

If she did and Brimstone found it well just thinking about it made her shudder she wasn't a fan of being punished. Mark would be too and she had to keep him safe. Josef had figured out alot on his own but he didn't know everything and she wouldn't tell him anything.

"You said you saw him? What did he look like?" She asked.

If he'd seen her brother looking at all canine Mark was going to be in a hell of a lot of trouble.

They still had a little bit to go, and he hated being threatening, but if that's what it was going to take, that's what it was going to take. He shook his head and sighed, before looking at her again. She was not happy, but he'd at least gotten closer to confirming that.

“Look I don't want to take you down to the station, but obstruction of justice is a crime. That includes withholding information from an investigating officer. So you can either tell me here in the car, and I take it in as an anonymous tip, or I can take you down to the station with me and we can have this discussion in an interrogation room. Your call.”

He didn't answer her question about her brother, not wanting to confirm that he hadn't actually seen his face, just the guy's clothing. He unzipped his jacket and pulled evidence bag with the flake out of his pocket. “What can you tell me about this?

"You couldn't make it stick" She said her tone losing any levity "I would be out before the door closes...and you can't prove I know anything."

Her eyes stayed on him she wasn't being playful or acting like a normal mundane girl. She was acting like the Brimstone agent she'd been trained to be. He was threatening her and she didn't like being threatened either it was something she had lived with for a very long time.

"I can't tell you anything" She said once again "I am not authorized to tell you...and an interogation room wouldn't give me that authorization either."

Brimstone would just come in and they'd have to let her go it wasn't a normal thing for agents to be arrested but there was plenty of protocol to prevented. Her eyes fell on the flake and she tensed again something about it made her feel very cold.

"Nothing to tell...now put it away" She said simply.

Josef glared at her. He was about ready to lose his temper. He didn't know what her or her brother' involvement in the case was, but he was not letting her go until he got what he needed. He was tired of the restless nights, tired of seeing the faces of each of these victims whenever he closed his eyes.

“I can hold your ass for 24 hours. And if you think I can't make that day a living hell and stay within the bounds of the law your going to learn otherwise. I am not going to stop until I find this son of bitch and put him behind bars, or if I'm given the chance put a bullet through his brainpan so I know he's dead and he's not killing anyone else. God as my witness, nothing is stopping me, no one is stopping me, until I bring this bastard down.”

There was an honest fervor to his voice as he spoke, and passion lit in his eyes. He wasn't lying and there were few men who could claim to have had such total honesty even once in their lives. “So are you going to help me here, or am I going to have to do this the hard way down at the station?”

"Yeah like you can do worse than..." She shut her mouth "Hell isn't something you'd understand."

She leaned back in the seat looking out at the road her face composed but she was angry with his threats. He had no right to threaten her when he and the rest of the mundanes were impeding her. When he said he'd put a bullet in the culprit's brain she had to laugh unable to suppress it.

"And if it doesn't have a 'brainpan' as you call it?" She said coldly.

He was honest she could tell that but damnit she didn't want to get herself into trouble a light sigh slid past her lips and smacked her fist down on the seat.

"Damnit you have no idea what kinda of hell I'd get for telling you this" She growled "I am serious I'm not supposed to."

She ran her hand through her hair again it was a nervous habit and she sighrd again.

"We're on the same side" She said to him "Mark and I are trying to stop these murders too."

When she laughed he lost it. He pulled over hard onto the emergency shoulder, slamming both of them into their belts as he braked. He was livid at this point, how could she possibly treat this like it was some kind of joke. He had a degree of black humor, all of them did, it was the only way to survive, but what she'd done had just pushed the envelope.

“Do you think this is some kind of fucking joke girl?” His voice was just short of shouting, and the anger and pain he was feeling was blatantly evident. “I don't know what involvement you have in this case, but let me tell you something, I haven't had a decent nights sleep in almost two damn weeks. You know why, cause I wasn't fast enough. If I'd just been a bit faster I could have stopped him, instead I’ve got four deaths weighing in on me now, four faces I have to look at every time I close my eyes, and that number just going to keep getting larger unless I bring the bastard down.”

He snapped his eyes forward, and he started to take deep breaths. After a moment he managed to calm down, and looked back over at her. “Sorry, you didn't deserve that. At least answer this, if we're on the same side, why won't you help?”

She grunted in pain when he suddenly braked slamming her against her seatbelt and looked over at him. Her face didn't move didn't even twitch as he yelled at her.

"I assure you Officer Meyer this is not a joke to me" She said her voice level "And I have a hell of a lot more lives on my consience than just these four people."

She slid off her seatbelt and rubbed her shoulder it was a bit sore but she wouldn't say anything about it. When he apologized she scoffed looking out of the window.

"How do you think I feel...every murder Mark and I are pushed back" She told him "Every scene contaminated...we have even less of an idea than you do what...who is killing these people."

She laced her fingers together thinking about what she should say he had guessed so much and he wasn't taking no for an answer.

"Josef...I told you I'm not supposed to...the people I work for..." She sighed and looked out the windshield her eyes flashing silver again "If I told you anything...it could cost me alot more than my job."

Her head turned to look at hin she could get the door open and be gone before he could stop her but she didn't she waited for his response.

~~

Mark was at St. Mary's waiting for Lina to return he had a bad feeling about having left her alone to investigate on his own. He should be there to take care of her but damnit they needed one break but he shook his head and left headquarters to go out and look for her. She was his sister even if it was only half he had protected and watxhed out for her and he needed to take care of her.

Josef looked at her curiously. Her eyes had just changed color, it may have been a trick of the light, but somehow he didn't think so. There was something more than normal going on with this case. They had no leads, and no way of determining who the killer was. His superiors may not have like this idea, but it was the only way he could think of. God he was going to get his ass chewed out.

“Then lets make a deal. You say we're contaminating the scene, you've got information I want. Whoever you're working for have them setup a cooperative investigation with the NYPD. Get me assigned as a liaison and I'll make sure you and you're brother are the first ones on the scene with me. In exchange you bring me on board with whatever information you have on what the hells going on. Deal?”

He extended his hand to shake hers. It may have been a forgotten custom to many nowadays, but for him a handshake was promise in itself, and it was to be upheld. They both wanted this killer caught, and this would get them the best of both their sides.

"What is it with you?" She asked him "My superiors have never and will never share information with the NYPD...there are rules...and reasons for those rules."

She noticed movement from the corner of her eye and she turned they weren't on a pedestrian heavy road but she had seen someone. They were gone and she couldn't see then but it made her feel on edge and she knew the decision she had to make.

"Josef...I can't believe I'm doing this..." She said with a groan "My superiors are going to murder me...can we go somewhere other than your car?"

She was going to catch hell for this but it seemed like her only option and she pulled her phone from her pocket.

"I'll have Mark meet us...there's a place on 23rd and Martins Dr." She told him typing out the message to Mark "You want help...you'll get it but you can't tell anyone what I'm going to tell you...understand?"

~~

Mark got the text and smiled at least she was okay and he started towards the small restaurant. He couldn't wait to tell her that he'd narrowed the list quite a bit. She was going to be in for a surprise when she met him and she was smirking.

Lina wasn't the only one to see the strange figure. Josef caught it out of the corner of his eye as well. There was something terribly wrong going on here. One thing he was certain of, whatever was going on, he was going to need these two to get to the bottom of the case. He nodded his head. In affirmation to what she said, and merged back onto the freeway. Once they were moving again. He resumed their conversation.

“Well it's said we're a stiff necked people, even the Torah says as much. Imah always said I gave even old kackers a run for their money most days. So what happened with your eyes back there? Thought I saw them flash a different color for a minute.”

As they neared the exit that would put them closest to where she wanted to head, Josef drove past it, checking his rear view for the mysterious figure. Two exits later, he got off and took a slightly round about way to the diner. Maybe it was just the lack of sleep, but he was starting to get on edge about some things.

"The Torah...no offense but I'm not a huge fan of the Torah...or the Bible for that matter" She said softly "Religious texts are written by imperfect human beings...the words of a perfect being can never be fully known by imperfect creatures."

She didn't know what made her give that statement but it was something she had been told by her old mentor but she understood the truth. The realms of Heaven and Hell were a while hell of alot more complicated than any human could ever fathom. A light smile slid past her lips at the mention of her eyes and she shook her head.

"Not many people notice that...its something that happens sometimes" She said to him "It comes with being...well...someone like me...I'll explain when we get there."

She spent the remainder of the trip in silence her eyes always looking scanning for the figure she'd seen something about it terrified her completely. His path to the diner wasn't lost on her but she said nothing still thinking about the rules she was breaking. As soon as the diner came into sight she pointed it out to him it was a familiar place and best place to tell hin everything.

"I have your word you won't tell anyone about what I'm going to tell you" She asked him "Please its really important."

She really meant it he would have to give her his word before she could tell him anything it would end horribly if she told him something and he revealed it to the world.

Josef smiled when she brought her argument against religion. He wasn't going to try and convince he was right, but he could at least show that they did thing thy knew everything. At least they were getting on to a bit better ground for working with each other.

“Isaiah 55, verses 8 and 9 acknowledge that. We don't make any pretense to know god, just follow his will as best we understand it.” The remainder of the drive was uncannily quiet. Even the raido was silent for the trip. Certainly a tad unusual, since there was usually checks going in back and forth.

When they got to the diner, he got out of the car before turning to answer her question. “Whatever the big secret is you've got to keep under wraps, as long as it isn't something blatantly illegal, it's safe with me. But if I can use anything that won't compromise it to get us closer to solving this case and getting this sick fuck off the streets, It's going into my reports.”

With that he walked into the restaurant. She'd either accept his terms, or she wouldn't. It was the best he could do, and he wasn't going to lie to the girl about it. His first and foremost concern was capturing this bastard, and seeing to it that justice was served.

She nodded at his terms that was the best she'd get but he really couldn't put anything into a report. Her eyes trained around and she made sure her amulet was hidden before she followed him into the restaurant. A large man had blocked his path and looked over at her as she entered.

"You know the rules Lina" He said his voice thick and gravelly.

"He's okay Gregor..." She said "I invited him...safest place for a talk...is Mark here?"

"Course he is...drivin out half my customers you people gotta stop comin in here" He told her "You know it makes the illegals jumpy."

"Just bring two coffees to the table" She said "And we wouldn't know illegals ate here if you didn't mention them."

Gregor just scoffed and walked off muttering about losing business and she shook her head looking at Josef.

"Sorry..." She said "He's...kinda...let's just sit down..."

She led him toward the back where she and Mark normally sat he was already there and she narrowed her eyes seeing a large tear in his coat. He was smiling and flirting with the waitress who brought him some food before noticing them.

"Hey redbull...you brought a friend..." His eyes focused on Josef as she sat down and he leaned toward her to whisper sharply "Are you insane..."

Two coffees were set on the table for her and Josef and the waitress looked him up and down like a piece of meat. Lina decided to commit her face to memory just in case.

"Well...he figured out some stuff on his own...I'm going to tell him the truth" She said "He's been sworn to secrecy...and he already saw you Fluffy."

"You know the rules Angelina" Mark told her "You know what'll happen..."

"Thats why I chose here...word gets back to HQ I can deny it and have the place shut down for harboring illegals" She said "Best place for truth telling."

Josef watched the exchange between Gregor and Lina. He knew better than to get involved. Whatever was going on here, was similar to if he was trying to walk into a bar in Harlem. If he was in uniform, he could walk in and out unmolested, but he wasn't getting information. He didn't belong there so if didn't come with someone who did, he could damn well shove off. He wondered what she meant by illegals though. Sure illegal aliens were common enough, but there just wasn't enough manpower to deal with them all.

He sat down across from the siblings. He listed to what they were saying, curious about what she had to say. Obviously whatever she was going to tell him had to carry some severe repercussions. Her brother didn't seem to happy about bringing him on board. He took his coffee with a smile, though the way the waitress was looking at him was somewhat strange. After a sip of his coffee, he looked at the pair.

“So, Lina, Mark?” He was a bit hesitant making sure he had the right name before continuing. “What exactly is going on here?”

"Go ahead Lina..." Mark said growling "Tell him...its not like you haven't suffered enough...blab our secrets on the evening news too...make sure you earn your punishment yanno."

"Mark" She snapped then sighed looking at Josef "Josef...this...isn't an easy subject to talk about"

She wanted to broach this subject very calmly without scaring him considering how Mark was glaring at her angrilly. Staring down into her coffee she watched her reflection nervously chewing her bottom lip before taking a drink.

"What do you know...about the Supernatural?" She asked him.

"Really Redbull?" Mark scoffed "Look Officer...Lina's a half Angel who makes a career outta hunting and fighting dangerous monsters...much like the one you are looking for...and thats monsters literally...Vampires, Lycan, Demons, Fallen, Ghouls, Infernal...you name it...oh and I'm her Lycan half brother."

She sighed and Mark just looked at Josef his face showing not a single hint that he was anything but serious. He wasn't going to do the gentle moving someone gently and gracefully into the concept of Mythics and half breeds. He was more into the Bandaid approach and just getting it overwith in one go.

"Look...I know it sounds weird" She said to Josef.

Josef quirked an eyebrow at the news, which to an extent wasn't really news to him. Granted finding out that werewolves and vampires were real was a bit of a shock, but then all legend had its basis in fact and those legends were amongst the oldest. He put his coffee down smiling. He shook his head about ready to laugh.

“Is that really the big secret? That the supernatural is real and present amongst us?” Honestly he found it amusing, especially given how delicate Lina was trying be about even though she knew he was Jewish, at least he'd hoped she'd dawn the parallel from their conversation in the car. “I already knew that much. Granted, this is my first real encounter with it that I'm aware of, but I already knew the likes of angels and demons walked the earth with us. As for the others, well look at all our legends, those superstitions and monsters had to come from someplace. Every legend has a basis in fact, how distorted it may have become over the years is entirely up for debate, but the truth remains there.”

He took another sip of his coffee. If this was in fact the case, that something otherworldly was committing the murders, then things had just gotten a lot more complicated, and a lot simpler at the same time. It suddenly became perfectly rational how this thing could do what it was doing so fast. On the other hand there was no way he'd be able to file that in a police report so he was going to have to get a bit creative to explain how all this was happening.

“You don't have to worry about this going past me. I believe you, in all honesty, but if I tried to tell anyone else that this is what was going on, well they'd probably look at me like I was crazy, if not send me in for a psychiatric evaluation. So yeah, my job suddenly got a lot simpler, and a hell of a lot more complicated at the same time. Thanks for that.”

Mark burst out laughing at Josef's attitude about the supernatural and looked over at Lina.

"Well Redbull you certainly picked a winner to tell our secret to" He said "Not even the Vatican believed us."

"To be fair it wasn't an official meeting and Kindrell wasn't the most professional hunter" She said "Well according to him..."

"True...Officer you'd be smart to keep treating your investigation as if a human were committing these murder" He said to Josef "Let Brimstone handle the Mythic side believe me...you don't want to be on the victim list...its already killed plenty of other humans."

"I'm surprised you didn't call bullshit on me being half Angel" She said "Most Semitic believers think Angels would never have children."

She was being truthful though Nephilim were mentioned in religious text they were descriped as giants. That was just the aura they projected though it had a tendency to distort human perceptions.

"Be grateful Lina most people would have called you crazy and stormed out" Mark told her.

She drank down her coffee and the same waitress came over to top off his coffee smirking at him this time looking at him like a cat would a mouse. The waitress ignored Lina but refilled Mark's cup before walking away her hips swaying from side to side. Mark watched her go smirking in appreciation.

"Keep it in your pants Fluffy" Lina said "She'd kill ya if you screwed her."

"But what a way to go" Mark said with a chuckle.

Josef finished his coffee off as he listened to the two of them. They both had valid points, but at the same time he knew they could get information about these killing that the police wouldn't be able to get through conventional methods. He leaned forward resting against the table, and looking up at Lina.

“It varies how you want to interpret the meaning of 'Sons of God.' If you choose to take it as meaning angels or whatever else is entirely up to how you view the rest of the scriptures. I can't say for certain, so it's on my list of questions for God.” He looked back over at Mark, still thinking about how he could get them on the crime scenes without causing problems. Suddenly a light bulb clicked on in his brain, and he wondered why he hadn't thought about it earlier.

“Lina, Mark, do you two have any kind of credentials?” The way he was grinning made it clear he'd just thought of something. They did occasionally hire outside consultants on strange cases, and they certainly didn't get stranger than this. “Cause if you do, I might be able to get you on board that way. We've hired consultants before, and if we can get Brimstone to look like some kind of private investigators, I might just be able to pack the two of you around with me.”

"You'd be better asking the council really...God isn't...well...to be honest I'm not even sure he exists...the Council are the ones who give the orders" She said "They say the orders come from God...but I've never actually met him..."

"Redbull...we've talked about this" Mark told her "Let the Humans have their faith...but actually Josef Angels have children all the time...there are Nephilim all over the world...though all of them are just as confused as the rest of you humans about God."

Lina scoffed but drank down the last bit of her coffee looking fornthe Waitress she wanted a refill but with Mark and Josef around she wouldn't get service so just sat back. Mark looked around the restaurant noting the patrons that stared at the group. When Josef spoke again he leaned back giving the officer his full attention.

"Well yeah we have credentials...Brimstone US division anyway...does work directly for the government..." She told him "We don't have much for badges...just amulets...but Mark and I could whip something up."

"Smart thinking...we can make sure Brimstone gets thise flakes before your people do" Mark said "They're not good for humans to have...well anything Mythic related needs to be kept out of human hands."

Josef grimaced a bit when Mark mentioned taking the flakes before NYPD could get them. Technically they already had two in their custody, and with the way things were going to be, he couldn't be certain they'd get there first. First one's to investigate maybe, but if any other unit secured the site, well, that evidence was going to the case file.

“I can't guarantee that. If we're the first one's on site maybe, but that won't be likely. If there's another unit present, it's going to be a lot harder for evidence to be misplaced. Speaking of which, what the hell are these things? They're hard to find which is making me wonder if the other murder sites still have one present.”

He looked between the two of them expectantly. Hopefully now that they were talking one of them could shed some light on what exactly was doing the killing. If they could figure that out, he'd at least have a fighting chance of explaining how a human could pull all this off.

"You're the only one who found em" Mark said "Our superior can get the other one...just make sure any others don't get found."

"I don't know what they are...but I don't like them..."Lina said scooting a bit away from him.

"Half Angels...and full angels have trouble with certain...objects..." Mark explained "Especially ones that corrupt...but I do have an idea of what it could be...I managed to pick up a scent at the last scene...an unrecognized one."

Lina sat straight up paying full attention Brimstone has plenty of stock scents for the Lycan and other members with great senses of smell if he didn't have an idea of that scent it narrowed things out.

"Well...seems like you've figured it out" Mark said looking at Lina pulling a tablet out of his coat "You wanna join in Josef? I'm sure you'll be a big help?"

He turned the tablet on and opened a file of images with a smile as if he knew better than Lina.

"Josef can I see that flake?" He asked "I just need to confirm something."

"You look like a cat with that grin" She remarked earning a growl from Mark.

Josef pulled the flake out of his jacket. Officially speaking no one else knew he had it besides the three of them. He looked at Mark with a concerned expression. If they could get the other one out safely there was no sense in him keeping this. Sure it was a potential feather in his cap for bringing a key piece of evidence to note, but at the same time, he knew the rest of the world wouldn't be able to handle this. Sure the truth might leak through the tabloids, but how many people really believed what happened in those.

“Are you absolutely positive your guys can get the one NRPD has as well as the photos of it?” He handed Mark the evidence bag which was still sealed. While his hand was over there, he reached over and grabbed Lina's coffee mug, swapping it with his. When the waitress came back he smiled politely waiting for her to refill it and leave before changing the cups again. He really didn't need anymore coffee tonight. “If you are then go ahead and keep that, but yeah either way I'm in. I want this son of a bitch gone.”

"I know we can" Mark said "Its best if you are kept in the dark about how we get it."

Lina looked over at Josef when he swapped her mug for his and smiled when the waitress refilled it and he swappedd it back.

"Thanks" She said taking a drink "Succubi tend to ignore females when males around."

Mark rolled his eyes and opened the the evidence bag gently shaking the flake out onto the table to examine it. Lina shivered scooting away focusing her attention on Josef. She hated when she encountered stuff she couldn't stomach it made her feel weak and useless but she had to live with it.

"Hmmm...it seems like a piece of a feather" Mark said "There is only one clawed Mythic with feathered wings that I've never smelt."

"Fallen...joy...they never register..." Lina groaned looking slightly paler "Then again...full blooded Angels don't either..."

Mark looked at her before shaking his head going through pictures on his tablet before turning it to Josef.

"This is what I mean...a very dangerous one..." Mark said.

The picture showed a creature with charred wings. Its skin had large chunks of black as if smudged with soot. It looked like a very thin human.

"Their hands twist into Claws..." He added "but...really not much is known about them...just that they're extremely dangerous."

Josef smiled at her before turning to look at the image. Just the sight of what it was exactly made him swallow hard. This would definitely explain a few things. The fallen lost a lot of the power they were granted, but even a fragment of that power could explain how this being was able to what it was doing, and honestly it was terrifying. He took a few deep breaths and started chanting to himself, barely above a whisper.

“Mizmor le-David. Adonai Ro'i, lo echsar, Bin'ot deshe yarbitzeini, 'al-mei menuchot yenahaleini, Nafshi yeshoveiv, yancheini ve-ma'gelei-tzedek le-ma'an shemo. Gam ki-eilekh be-gei tzalmavet lo-'ira ra, ki-attah immadi, shivtekha u-mish'antekha heimmah yenachamuni. Ta'arokh lefanai shulchan neged tzorerai,dishanta va-shemen roshi, kosi revayah. Akh tov va-chesed yirdefuni kol-yemei chaiyai,
ve-shavti be-veit-Adonai le-orekh yamim.”

Afterward, he seemed considerably more settled and returned to the task at hand. He looked over what he knew, and relayed it to them.

“Ok so we have our suspected killer. We know the bodies are all arranged in a certain manor. We have four confirmed killings that I'm aware of. One in Manhattan, Queens, the Bronx, and New Rochelle. As far as we know the victims aren't related in any distinguishable pattern, so I'm thinking that its the location that's important, and the victims merely were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It looks highly ritualistic, so it's gotta be something more than just killing for the fun of it. Think it could tie into Lucifer at all? The fallen and exiled are supposed to be his servants aren't they?” Granted he was basing this off what he understood from the Torah. He could be off base, but again all that he believed, even if it was an exaggerated legend, had to have a basis in fact somewhere.

Lina watched him pray trying to keep her focus on anything but the flake and sipped at her coffee. Mark noticed this and slipped the flake into a special box he pulled out of his pocket. When Josef finally started to speak again they both focused on him.

"We may...have found a pattern" Lina said "It wasn't visible...because..."

She grabbed the tablet and searched around finding the file on the victims and pulled it open searching for the first victim.

"First victim was a woman...just like the third...the first was a high schooler...the third was a prostitute..." She said "second and fourth were male...second victim was a pastor...and the fourth was a homosexual...all four of them were in a relationship with Mythics..."

Mark facepalmed when Josef mentioned Lucifer and sighed shaking his head.

"If every ritual involved Lucifer he would never have time to run hell" He said "Though you might be on the right track...Lucifer tends to avoid coming topside...just like God avoids coming down..."

"If they even exist" Lina sniped.

"Redbull shut up" Mark told her "The Fallen though don't work for anyone...you see...when angels fall noone wamts anything to do with them...its why they're not well known..."

"We don't know what makes angels fall really..." Lina added "The Council keeps all of that very hush hush..."

"As I was trying to say...it could be a ritual...or a message..." Mark said "Angels rely on tradition and ritual for alot...it could be a remnant of their time as full feldged Angels."

Back
Top Bottom