Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A world Beyond (Fadereaper and Kuro_Bara)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadereaper

Kiryu
It was a decent sized town that he had chosen to visit in his time of solitude in his dragon den on the mountain, he was always isolated far from even his own kind and because of that he found himself deprived of social interaction. The man was dressed to reflect that of the people in the village, he had a red tunic and black trousers not wanting to dress very extravagant to draw attention to himself.

As he ventured further into the village his eyes rose to meet a sign of a mug with a foaming head at the top and would recognize the word 'Inn' plainly on the top, it would no doubt also have a tavern at the base and he decided if he was going to observe the creatures of this village this place would be ideal to see them. With that thought in mind he walked to the door of the establishment and pushes it open, walking slowly into the building.

As he entered he would now hear more clearly the ruckus going on inside, people sat at the tables of the dimly lit structures nursing large drinks of alcohol while laughing and talking about events of the day. They were all very frivolous and he almost decided to leave but, when he saw a table in the corner that would be a bit out of the way he decided it would be sufficient for giving him a good sight of the tavern and put him out of the way. Electing to take the seat he walks slowly to his destination, his feet clicking against the wooden floor he reaches the table and pulls out a seat and sits down backing it to the wall behind him.

The sun was setting rapidly and the villagers were hauling in their tools from the fields and forests surrounding the small town. As the summer faded into fall and the darkness came earlier the Frothy Pint became a much busier location which was why Clara had found herself recruited to help with the influx of patrons. The inn and tavern was owned by a husband and wife who had long been friends with her own family before they passed unexpectedly. They were really the only friends she had in this place now, she had become somewhat of an outcast and source for gossip for 'proper' ladies. She lived alone, unmarried and not even a potential suitor and she worked her fathers farmland as if she knew what she were doing. She wore trousers and tunics out of convenience and all that combined insulted the women of the village and turned away most of the men. The few that had been brave enough to approach her had coldly been turned away.

Clara brushed a stray, chestnut curl out of her emerald eyes as she carried a tray laden with heavy mugs threw the crowd. She was dressed in the usual bar wench outfit tonight. Ankle length skirts in forest green, a plain leather corset and a white blouse with puffy sleeves and a open neckline. Her hair was pulled back in a simple pony tail but when she did let it down it reached almost to her waist. It was really the only feminine thing she maintained. Mary, the innkeepers wife, gave her a broad encouraging smile. Clara knew the woman was trying to play matchmaker again hoping to find a suitable husband in the men that traveled from away to work near the village. She grit her teeth and forced a smile back, Mary meant well but had no idea how Clara really felt. She was independent, strong willed and knew how to take care of herself.

The villagers didn't realize she DID know how to take care of her fathers land, how to care for the animals on the farm, she also knew how to cook, clean and sew like most women. She didn't have a choice in the matter. Her wages from the inn helped supplement the income of the farm it was barely enough to keep her afloat and she was beginning to feel the strain. Many of the men who wanted to court her saw only a pretty face or a potentially good piece of land to add to their own. She would fight tooth and claw to keep that land in her possession.

She picked up another tray at the long wooden bar and made her way back through the rapidly growing crowd expertly dodging idle hands and ignoring the leers of men already drunk. Though she was smiling anyone truly looking at her would notice the expression did not reach her eyes.

He looked up at the woman in her serving get up and carrying trays around the bar to the various people who made their orders with the tavern, she was getting grabbed at and caught the eyes of many a man in the tavern. 'These people are so repugnant, they just try to claw and leer at what they desire'. He thought to himself in disgust with the actions of the men in the tavern, however he would try to at least partake in the different drink available to the people around him knowing that they must like it for some reason.

He would look at the serving woman and raised his hand and waved it slightly, trying to get her attention as she moved a little closer placing mugs on one of the tables. He would audibly hail her as well to say, "excuse me serving girl a moment of your time if you please." He asked hoping he was going about this with proper protocol, it was his first venture into human society and he had never even been to a tavern before and so he would just have to wing it.

There was always a typical clamor to the tavern that Clara had learned to filter out long ago. So she found the male voice that so politely asked for her attention something close to a miracle. Her surprise was clear on her face as she turned to face him trying to reconcile what she heard with the man she saw. His voice had sounded very cultured, almost old fashioned. He was dressed in typical clothing for someone of middle standing but the thing that instantly made her think her was from out of town was his cleanly appearance. She glided closer tucking the empty tray under one arm. "How can I help you this evening, m'lord." She asked tipping her had slightly and adding the honorific just in case. You could never be too sure when a lord would show up in a place like this.

Her face was one of confusion or shock as to his inquiry which he had thought to be proper, he was an old being true but he didn't think that he was meant to be rude or improper but she seemed off taken by his way of regarding her. He was even more alarmed at being called 'Lord', he was trying to display himself as a commoner or a pauper of the village to try to avoid attention. However it seems that his attempt had failed, he was an old and cultured creature and this was reflected in his kind and calm demeanor.

He would clear his throat gently into a balled fist before replying to the kind serving woman, she has a lot of patience to work with the ilk that entered this tavern on a daily basis and still being able to keep such a smile. "The title is not necessary I am not deserving of such I assure you, but I do wish to partake of some of the brew served in this establishment." He took a brief pause to look at the frivolous men and was almost reconsidering but he decided it was worth it to understand the appeal of the beverage, "what kind of drink do you recommend for someone not entirely accustomed to tavern brews?"

Clara gave him a warm smile, he was being so kind and polite she couldn't help it. It was a smile most regulars in the tavern never got to see. She tapped a finger against her cheek thoughtfully. "I would recommend on of our lighter wheat ales." She answered finally. They were much smoother in taste and often overlooked by the regular patrons because it was slightly more expensive. "Why don't I bring you one on the house to sample?" She offered smiling cheerfully. Before he could answer she glided away through the crowd and asked Mary for the drink. The woman glanced over at the stranger and gave Clara a knowing smile which the young woman chose to ignore. "Why don't you take a break lass." She said taking the tray away from her and sliding a second drink across the bar. Clara shot her an annoyed glare, she was trying to set her up with strangers now. She had to admit to herself that a break would be welcome and she would like to talk to someone who didn't ogle her like the others.

She made her way back and set his drink down. "May I sit...it seems I have been given a break from my duties for a short time?" She gave him a tentative smile hoping she wasn't imposing. She generally wasn't so forward but if she sat with him no one else would bother her.

He was listening intently as she mentioned the wheat ale he didn't know much about drinks but he was not going to dismiss the chance to try the drink she was recommending, although it was on the house and that was not something he was in a position to turn down as well. As she walked away he couldn't help but notice how not only exceptionally kind she was being to him but as well how attractive she was, even for the truth of his identity he recognized the truth of the fact and was more than willing to have the attentions of someone like her in this tavern full of ruffians and tavern women. It could be said that a gem had shone from the rest of the tavern patrons, as she sat down with the drink she had offered him he would grab it and jostled the contents slightly before lifting it up to take a small drink and let it sink down.

"That is an interesting flavor," he managed to say and then turning to regard her question with a curious glance. "If you wish you may the seat is in no means claimed or reserved, or at least as far as I know I could have taken someone else's seat but they might be too intoxicated to be aware of it just yet." He said with a smile, "so may I ask your name madam?"

Clara sat down tucking her skirts under her. She was truly grateful for the break. Working all day on the farm and then coming here made her feet, legs and back ache fiercely. "My name is Clara." She said with a bright smile. "If you do not like the ale please don't feel obligated to drink it." She said in a vaguely teasing voice in response to his comment. She gazed at him for several moments before speaking again. "May I ask where you are from...I don't mean to be rude but you don't appear to be one of the locals." She waved a hand at the boisterous crowd around them. "None of them would notice but I do." Her emerald eyes twinkled mischievously.

He smiled when she stated her name and he would start to contemplate the name and would reply to it with the following, "ahhh Clara that is a beautiful name." He nodded for affect before adding on to the train of thought, "it is a good name meaning bright or intelligent." He gave her a measuring gaze as he took another small sip from the ale he had received, "it is a nice name and I think it will prove to be quite befitting." When she mentioned he didn't have to drink the ale he was quick to shake his head, "no it was provided for me and I should not squander this gift." He said setting the ale down finally dictating his opinion of the drink, "besides it is a good beverage and not as hard to swallow as I thought it would be I think it has a unique but good taste."

He had to use a different identity besides his name given to him as a dragon, the name would obviously not be human like he was trying to presume to be. "My name is Casavir, Casavir Talcan and I come from the capital city but I was growing tired of the large city and wanted something more rural if you understand what I mean." He said with a shrug, "and what about me did you notice about me that would indicate that I am not of this city may I ask?" He was smirking slightly the corner of his lips tugging up gently, he presumed it was in his demeanor that despite his garments being very middle class he had a noticeable intellect about him.

Clara leaned her head on one hand watching giving him a contemplative look. She blushed just slightly when he complimented her name, something no one had ever done. She had always considered it rather plain. When he asked what about him stood out she smiled impishly. "Well to be perfectly honest sir..." She leaned forward across the table and dropped her voice to a stage whisper. "You are much cleaner then the local folks." She explained with a silvery laugh. "Your demeanor makes it fairly obvious as well but we've had scholars here before, most of them come to research legends about the Dragon in the mountains." She told him with a shrug.

Clara finished her drink and rose to her feet. "Well Mr. Talcan, it was very nice chatting with you. Unfortunately I must get back to work." She curtsied with a finale friendly smile before plunging back into the fray. After her discussion with the stranger she found the rest of the evening to be much more tolerable even Mary seemed to notice the change in her attitude and kept sending her knowing smiles.

He smirked when she called him much clean than the other members of the village, yes he definitely was more clean than the dirty paupers and that was likely his failure to dress the part. However he felt like he would not succeed on hiding his foreign nature from others just by how he acted, he didn't find it easy to abandon his proper mannerisms when speaking to people and so it was bound to happen regardless. "Well I do try, it is important to keep ones self well groomed with what tools we have at our disposal." He said his shoulders scrunching in a shrug, however he felt a bit nervous when she mentioned the word dragon he knew it wasn't the context he should be nervous about but he still couldn't help it. She mentioned legends of the dragons, perhaps he could inquire about this next time they spoke.

"Like wise Clara I hope to be able to renew the meeting again sometime if time permits it, just inform me when you have some time to yourself perhaps we can venture into the local woods or something." He asked hoping to get her attention before she went away, she returned to her work after and he watched as the enthusiastic woman returned to her duties. She was a much better conversationalist than the other human women he had met before her, she definitely had a good head on her shoulders although he was still curious just what people knew about him and what legends surrounded him. When he finished his free drink he would move to the counter and approaches the person behind the bar, "excuse me I would like to ask to see if I can rent a room at this Inn I need some place to stay for my time here."

The innkeepers wife, Mary was absolutely delighted to rent him a room. She fluttered about like an excited bird when he said he would be staying for some time. "I'll give you my best suite, mi'lord." She stated bustling up the stairs to the top half of the building where about a dozen rooms lined the halls. At the end of the hall she unlocked one of the doors and pushed it open. The room was plain but clean with a large wooden frame bed and what appeared to be a feather mattress. The comforter on the bed was thick and warm, with a blue and red checked pattern on it and matching curtains over the one large window in the room. There was a fireplace on one wall and a stand with a wash basin and pitcher and a large wardrobe for storage. There was even a large reading chair. It was indeed the best room in the house, most of the others consisted of a bed and stand with small wood stoves not stone fireplaces.

She hovered in the doorway after handing him the key. "I couldn't help but notice your interest in young Clara, she's a sweet girl. Stubborn as the fields she manages mind you." She muttered almost to herself. "If ye ever want to speak with her I'd be pleased to introduce you outside the tavern." Mary said with a broad smile. "Clara only works here on the busiest nights most days she's too tired poor dear. Taking care of her families land like she is all alone." She prattled on at steady pace. "Poor thing lost both her parents a few years back before a proper marriage could be arranged." She sighed as if this truly were the worst thing possible. "Ah well listen to me go on. I hope you enjoy your stay Mi'lord. Good night." She turned and started to head for the main stairs.

He was surprised at the reply he was being given the best room and he had not even paid for the room yet, " how much gold will this be I have money I promise." He said as he was following the wife of the innkeeper up the stairs looking at the decor of the building as it did, it wasn't extravagant but it was very homey and that was something he could respect. When he found the room he was to use as his means of rest this stay he would look in surprise at how well kept it was, he didn't expect this kind of kindness from the family of the innkeeper considering how much it must cost but he was sure he could afford it. Walking to the bed he would sit down on the comfortable down filled mattress, getting comfortable on the large furnishing.

He looked up at her when she mentioned that he raised an eyebrow a little in confusion, apparently he had drawn any number of eyes for his choice in company but from listening to her she sounded approving. "She is nice although we barely had any conversation I think a chance to renew the acquaintance should be in order, does she have no siblings to aid with her work allotment?" He said feeling sympathy for the woman he met today, having lost so much and trying to hard to help others speaks well for her character especially by the standards of her race.

Mary stopped and gave him a thoughtful look. "We'll settle the price on the room later deary." She replied to his insisting to pay. "As for poor Clara no, she has no family what-so-ever. Many of the women in the village don't allow their husbands to assist on Clara's farm for fear of straying you know. They are awfully jealous of Clara's looks." She added almost as if to herself. Mary gave a loud sigh. "It is truly a sin though, no matter how hard that lass works she never catches up. One of these days the collectors will come for that land. After that Clara won't have anything left." A sad expression flashed across the plump woman's face. "Well she'll always have a place with us here at the inn at least." Though the idea of that seemed to make her even sadder. "I best be getting back to work. You let me know if you'd like to visit Clara in the morning and I'll send a lad to take you over." With that she was gone fluttering off down the stairs into the chaos below.

He watched as she left and he would take delight in stretching his arms and muscles loosening the somewhat stiff arms, he was finally alone and the sound of the ruckus downstairs was drowned out by the 2 floors between them. The staff here were very nice and they put a lot of hints to him that he should pursue this woman to speak to her, he didn't think he could disagree with the notion he was a very pleasant woman and would like the chance to speak to her again. He would look around the room and would take a full account of its contents, although he would love to take a book and begin reading in the comfortable chair by the fireplace he was awfully tired and could use some sleep. Placing himself under the well decorated covers of the bed in his room he would slide into the warm comfort of the furnishing, closing his eyes he would try to sleep and it would take some time before he finally was able to retrieve his much wanted rest.

Clara was up an hour before the sun rose to begin the myriad of chores on the farm. Tying her hair back with a kerchief she at a cold breakfast before heading out into the small yard. The house was a small two bedroom wood frame farmhouse, with shutters her father had carved for her mother on year. It was one floor and even had glass panes which had been a luxury for their family. A small barn sat across from the house where the one cow, a mule and two pigs slept. A coop was built beside the barn but the chickens roamed free about the yard she was lucky in that regard as very few wild animals seemed to bother her. It was a trick her father had taught her as a girl. Behind the barn and wrapping around to the house was a set of small fields that held in season vegetables. What she didn't use for herself she sold to pay for the cost of the farm or traded for things she needed.

Pushing open the creaking barn door she walked into the darkness greeted by the soft moo of the cow. The sun was starting to peek over the horizon and the light in the barn became murky but bright enough to see. Pulling out bags of feeds she set about feeding the animals, milking the cow and gathering the eggs from the now squawking chickens. Afterwards she put out laundry and tidy the house before lunch. She sat in the yard enjoying the bright, warm sun. There weren't many of these days left so she took some time each day to enjoy it. She leaned against a wooden fence post her eyes closed as she relished her short break from the days work.

He would awake a little well into the morning but not very late, it was not something he was used to sleeping as a human it was actually the first time. As long as he could remember he had never needed to use his human avatar form, this was a special case and he would grow accustomed to it as time passed he was sure. Getting up he would first straighten the bed he had just slept in and made sure it was lined just as it was before diving into the comfortable furnishing, he only had the one pair of clothing though he didn't think that through he would have to buy some new pairs of clothes soon perhaps the lady who gave him this room could help him with that too. The freshly awoken man would rub his eyes and would stretch his muscles to prepare for the new day, walking to a container of cool water that was brought up he would splash some of the refreshing liquid into his face and somewhat clean it.

When finished tending to himself and using the cold water to straighten his hair he would dismiss himself from his room, taking care to softly traverse the floor to not disturb anyone else his shoes still make creaking sounds and small clicks each time they set themselves on the hardwood floor. He was sighing on the inside at it but he realized he was over-analyzing his situation, he would hasten his pace and walks down the stairs to bring himself to the lower level of the building and would see the less rowdy patrons of the inn enjoying the breakfast that the innkeeper and his wife had prepared, without the drunk bustle of the night crowd and only those who spent the night in the tavern it was much more quiet and he enjoyed this to the fullest. He would elect to sit down close to the counter he had become fond of the innkeeper and his wife and he liked sitting closer to where they worked, "excuse me mam could I get some breakfast please oh and you said if I wanted to go visit that woman I met yesterday I should ask you correct?" He said quickly almost forgetting his clothing predicament, "Oh and may I also ask where I can buy some clothes I'm afraid I only have this one pair."

Mary set a plate heaped with food in front of him and beamed. "Yes of course dear, I'll send for a lad once your done your breakfast." She said leaning on the high counter a drying cloth in her hands. "Clothes you say...hmm, well we only have one seamstress in town, she could probably make something up for you." She pondered for a few moments. "In the meantime your about the same size as Clara's father, she may still have some of his old clothing about you could use. Wouldn't be anything fancy mind you." She smiled at him and set a mug of tea beside his breakfast. "I'll send someone to fetch the seamstress this evening but ask Clara when you visit okay." Mary stated bustling off to attend to another guest.

He smiled when she placed the plate with food in front of him and he had to admit it smelled wonderful, never had he had food so well prepared usually he just hunted and ate his food raw. He would grab the fork by his plate and holds it softly in his hand, his fingers tapping against the metallic surface of the instrument. He would place the side of the fork against the eggs on his plate and separates a portion of the food to eat, then proceeding to place the fork under he lifts it to take a testing bite and smiling warmly at the taste of the food. "This is amazing thank you so much for the meal," he said as he would continue to eat only stopping to take a drink and speak.

Between bites he looked up at her to regard her response to his question, "I will have to make sure to ask her next time I see her thank you for that." He said with a grin as he would continue to eat, "I just can't go for too long only wearing one outfit and I didn't bring many belongings save for the gold I'd need to make it by." He said with a shrug as he would bite into a small cut of meat on his plate, it was well seasoned and cooked showing a nice liquid below it running into the small collection of browned potato squares next to it. Taking a bite his eyes would practically roll at the salty taste, "oh my word how did you make this food I must know how it tastes better than anything I've ever had before."

Mary blushed and flapped a hand at him in an embarrassed manner. "Oh well its not so complicated a meal. The vegetables and eggs came from Clara's farm actually." She explained cleaning a spot of the already immaculate bar. "She often trades with us for things she can't get through her own hard work." She smiled as he relished his breakfast. "Did your ma never make you a breakfast like that? You act as though its the first you've ever had." Mary teased in a motherly fashion.

He shrugged as he would proceed through his breakfast quickly consuming the meal bite after bite as she began to explain, the food was amazing and seasoned perfectly and topped off with a nice glass of water although not as extravagant it was quite refreshing. "I see but I'm sure it would take a great culinary artist to make meals in such a manner, you sell yourself short and I look forward to what other meals you manage to create." When she asks him that question he was caught off guard, he couldn't tell her that he had only ever eaten raw animals for meals in his other form. "Well nothing to such a degree, we never had a lot and she made what she could with what we had." He said with a shrug as he would finish the meal, swiping a small rag from the table to clean his face which was decorated with the grease from the potatoes. He was a bit embarrassed his face being in this condition, with a slight reddening of his face he cleaned it free of the dirty coating. "So when do you think I could depart mi'lady, I look forward to being able to renew the acquaintance."

Moments after he finished his breakfast and inquired about leaving a young boy appeared next to the bar. He was no more then ten and covered in dust from running around the village roads. "Ah Carson, there you are." Mary said smiling at the errand boy. "This here is Mr. Talcan and he is going out to Clara's farm today. If you'd kindly show him the way." She told him handing him a small bag of sweet cakes.

Carson's face lit up with delight and no wonder at the lovely smell coming from the bag she gave him. "Sure thing Mary!" He quipped turning his attention to the man at the bar. Children being the curious creatures they are, Carson couldn't help but wonder why this man was going to Clara's farm and why in his youthful opinion he was dressed so flashy. "Mister are you going to marry Clara?" Carson inquired with a puzzled expression.

Mary covered her face with one hand and shushed him. "Carson don't be so rude. Do your job and get back to your other errands." She admonished shooing him and her guest out the door.

The young boy gave a shrug his mind already off onto other topics as he trotted along the street. "Clara's farm has the best potatoes you know." He stated out of nowhere leading the man towards the edge of town. "Some of the other lads told me she uses magic to make em so big." Carson laughed to himself as if that were hilarious. "Imagine Clara being some sort of witch." He snickered. It wasn't long before they came across a small farm yard, with a sturdy little house and barn. Clara herself was leaning against a fence post taking a break from her work. Carson waved and called out an exuberant greeting. "Morning Clara!" He shouted running over to her. "I brought you a fancy guest." He indicated following him.

Clara brushed a loose curl out of her face and smiled. "How nice to see you again Mr. Talcan." She said warmly. "I'm sorry if I had of known you were coming I would have cleaned up a bit." She picked a stray piece of hay out of hair and patted the dust out of her clothing self-consciously.

He turned his head to look at the boy scratching his head as he wondered how this was going to go, apparently he was being compensated with sweet smelling treats and it was just as well the boy must have had little for a home and possessions but that was only an assumption. The woman working this inn was a sweet older lady and very kind, he had never had a high opinion of humans but she was definitely one of the more respectable members of their society.

He stood up and brushed his outfit for any stray crumbs knowing that some must have fallen on him and indeed they did, in a small stream they tumbled tot he floor but his outfit was mildly more clean than it was before he ate. As he walked to stand next to the young lad he looked down at him taken off guard by his inquiry, "a bit of a poking question lad be careful where your wandering mind may lead you." He said with a smirk and patted the young lad's head, "that is not exactly on the mind at this moment."

Casavir followed shortly after the boy to the farm where Clara was working, scratching his neck and working out a small kink in his neck at the same time he followed until he was up to where the lad was and where Clara herself was. "You need not fuss with how you look, I came to see you I did not expect any special fuss made over my arrival." He said as he took a step closer and looked to the boy, "I've had some nice chats with the inn keeper...she speaks very highly of you."

Clara blushed and looked away embarrassed. "Oh well...Mary does like to talk." She turned her attention to Carson and gave him a tiny frown. "Thank you Carson." She said in a pointed tone. The boy sighed dramatically. "Alright then, see ya later." He stated scurrying off to return to his work. Clara turned back to Casavir with a small smile, in the tavern she had been busy and it occurred to her now she may have been a bit forward. "What...brings you out here today?" Clara inquired politely, unsure how to proceed. Clara was completely out of her element here, at her home there was work to be done all the time and no one but Mary or her husband ever came to call. She wasn't typically required to be social here and his calling on her like a suitor might made her cautious.

He had his arms crossed behind his back as he came closer to the young woman and when he was in front of her not a short distance away his neutral expression turned to a smile, "well call my crazy but I think it is safe to say that I came here to speak to you." He said as he looked past her at the small house that was the residence of this farm, "perhaps you would prefer to move this conversation indoors?" He asked curiously as she seemed to be a bit nervous with this conversation, she nervous and him struggling to find the words to say made this a unanimous difficulty for the two of them. "Unless you are busy and have work to do I understand, I just thought that our conversation was ended abruptly yesterday."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom