Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Server Move Tonight

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
Planning to begin roughly 5 hours from this post.

Everything is pretty much ready on the new servers (finally : /) and aside from some issues that don't affect the main server (have IPv6 setup on the slave and it's a bit fickle...) everything is working fine.

The database is colossal by forum standards, and it's hard to be sure how long it will take me. There are a number of forums with more than ten million posts (BMR and E combined), not many have more than ten million private messages on top of that.

Search and the AJAX shoutbox will both be making a return on both E and BMR, though I can't make promises for how the shoutbox will go on Elliquiy here. The new server is significantly more powerful, but Elliquiy is also a fair bit larger than when we had to turn it off.

After restoring both sites to working status, the process is going to be:
1) Restore PMs, the Shoutbox, and AJAX notifications on Blue Moon
2) Attempt to restore the AJAX Shoutbox on Elliquiy
3) Attempt to restore Sphinx Search on both communities.

#3 may not be completed in a day, some of the code probably needs to be rewritten, especially in BMR's case.

I expect that both sites will be down for a good portion of tomorrow, though in worst case it might take two days. I've decided to skip some optimizations that would necessitate a really long downtime - I don't think a temporary minor benefit is worth another day.

In the mean time, World Enough and Time, Lunar Radiance, and of course Mumble/IRC will still be online, and I'll probably post updates on twitter also.

Finally, I'm starting up two new non-adult sites/forums. The first and most relevant of these is Hexwiki, where I'm planning on uploading the results of documenting this little adventure. It's primarily going to be a technical community that we can point people to various resources I and others put up, without having to point people directly to an adult site here. I am likewise interested in people who would also be willing to share their technical knowhow here. Documenting this mess is a big part of why this took so long. : /

There will be a more obnoxious piece of flare going up an hour or so before shutdown, to give people time to finish up posts and so on.

Thank you for your patience, everyone.

-Vekseid

Ooooooh!!!

Thank you for everything Vek!! It's much, much appreciated! Sad that it'll be down ;.; but YAY!

Back
Top Bottom