Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

D&D 4.0 polearm control build. Thoughts?

Character race: Changeling-+2 charisma +2 dexterity
Class: Sorcerer-primary stats: charisma, dexterity
Build/magic source: Storm- arcane powers get a damage bonus=dexterity modifier, resist 5 thunder/lightening damage, when you crit you push the target one square and fly 1+dexterity modifier.
Stats (total):
str:12 con: 11 dex:15 (so a +2 modifier) int: 10 wis: 14 cha: 18 (+4 modifier) 28 hp 13 ac 12 fort 13 ref 18 will +3 initiative.

This is the starting, nothing else I'm going to put will matter for the purpose of this discussion.

By level 3, I will retain one feat to Glaive proficiency.
At level 4 I will pump one into str, and one into Wisdom. Allowing me to take the fighter multiclass feature. At level six, i'll take the polearm momentum feat (exclusive to fighters, requires 15 in wis and dex) Which allows me to knock a target prone if I pushed or slid it 2 more squares. And at level 7 I'll retrain a feat to take the arcane implent proficiency (Heavy blade).

I can now use the glaive as an implement for my arcane powers, and apply any bonuses if it's a magic weapon.

By the time I reach level 7, I should either already have enough gold to buy the controlling weapon +2 (Add one square to any push or slide effect), or maybe even get it in an adventure.

I wouldn't say mindless...

Actually, I haven't played D&D for about 4 years, and haven't even been able to glance at 4.0. I'm sure it's fine, but I've got more preferred game systems in general.

The most probable reason you aren't getting much in the way of response is the guy who would be most into talking D&D stats and builds is still incommunicado in Navy basic. Of the remainder who play, I don't know many who jus compare number-crunching like that. Me, I could, if I knew the system, but one of the reasons I don't like D&D is it rewards sheer calculation builds, rather than personalities. I'm in it for the character, not the stats. I mean, stats are nice, but they're just the framework to hang the personality on, and that is what interests me more than a, what is it, polearm-wielding mystic?

Nah, not a hater. I havent' given teh system more than a once over, kind of disappointed to see iconic D&D material missing. But it doesn't matter, I havent' been able to get a local group together for years, so I havent' bought any new material since 3.5.

I second though the crunching. My experience with GMing tells me the number crunchers are generally speaking, poor RPers, interested more in Monty Haul and showing how awesome they are than any actual adventure. Not saying that's generally true in your case, just the typical trend. As such I tend to avoid it and the theory discussions behind it.

To me the WHY of the thing is always more interesting. The IC why, what sort of place and culture does he come from to develop this art? What lead him down this path and why does he cling to it?

Mr Master said:
I wouldn't say mindless...

Actually, I haven't played D&D for about 4 years, and haven't even been able to glance at 4.0. I'm sure it's fine, but I've got more preferred game systems in general.

The most probable reason you aren't getting much in the way of response is the guy who would be most into talking D&D stats and builds is still incommunicado in Navy basic. Of the remainder who play, I don't know many who jus compare number-crunching like that. Me, I could, if I knew the system, but one of the reasons I don't like D&D is it rewards sheer calculation builds, rather than personalities. I'm in it for the character, not the stats. I mean, stats are nice, but they're just the framework to hang the personality on, and that is what interests me more than a, what is it, polearm-wielding mystic?

"Nah, not a hater. I havent' given teh system more than a once over, kind of disappointed to see iconic D&D material missing. But it doesn't matter, I havent' been able to get a local group together for years, so I havent' bought any new material since 3.5.

I second though the crunching. My experience with GMing tells me the number crunchers are generally speaking, poor RPers, interested more in Monty Haul and showing how awesome they are than any actual adventure. Not saying that's generally true in your case, just the typical trend. As such I tend to avoid it and the theory discussions behind it.

To me the WHY of the thing is always more interesting. The IC why, what sort of place and culture does he come from to develop this art? What lead him down this path and why does he cling to it?"

The term your referring to is 'power gaming' The stat build itself isn't even godly of it's own. I just wanted a spell caster chucking spells through a weapon. I happened upon the polearm momentum, and went from there.

The gm still has power, and I often substitute a good bit of rping for a skill check, or if they use their power inventively. I'm building the personality of Hadarai (The Sorcerer in question) off the stat, weapon build. In truth, the knocking prone doesn't really do much on it's own, it's how you use it that makes the difference. Say for example, pushing them into a flank, or prone and next to a mindless berserker. Which would be part of the personality as well, because it would effect his decisions.

I have a penchant for two things. The Jintachi, and polearms. That is how I founded this build.

I believe this answers both of your questions?

Back
Top Bottom