Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Proposed Chat Etiquette

Do you agree with this method of dealing with chat problems?

• Yes

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Ilovegoatse

Supernova
The people in the chat were talking about proposing a thread filled with basic etiquette in the chat. This wouldn't be a set of rules, but maybe just a list that involves some mutually agreed on boundaries. How does that sound?

I'd like to agree upon the mentioned point that PDA is okay to a point. Even playful 'screwing around' (snerk) is fine as long as it doesn't go 'too far'. If you're getting descriptive about it then it needs to go elsewhere. Similarly, if people are disagreeable with you doing such things in chat at that particular time, have the decency and common courtesy to respect that and stop.

So, it seems that a number of issues have come up about the chat.

Some members dont appreciate some of the going on's in the chat and have asked something to be done about it. It seems that these issues get brought up about once a week, and in a few days, some members seem to forget about it.

The biggest issues seem to be members who choose to cyber in the chat and the flamboyant and nonchalant use of the word "rape".

If members wanna cyber, its all good. The face remains that, while your enjoying yourself, others most assuredly are not. If people could refrain from cybering in chat, it would be appreciated.

Concerning the word "rape" and its usage (in all forms), even if you think its funny, other members defiantly do not.

That is all.

vampire seduction said:
I'd like to agree upon the mentioned point that PDA is okay to a point. Even playful 'screwing around' (snerk) is fine as long as it doesn't go 'too far'. If you're getting descriptive about it then it needs to go elsewhere. Similarly, if people are disagreeable with you doing such things in chat at that particular time, have the decency and common courtesy to respect that and stop.
I agree completely. If it's joking around it's fine. But if it gets to the point where it's intense and everyone's asking you to stop, please stop. I don't mind joking around, but more than that really bothers me. I say this should be enforced to a point. If everyone is okay with the PDA, I see no problem with it. If only one person disagrees with it, they should probably come back later. If it's still going on, then they should be respected for at least having the patience.

Another point to be brought up, please don't PDA someone if they don't ask for it, or you know they don't like it.

Ilovegoatse said:
I agree completely. If it's joking around it's fine. But if it gets to the point where it's intense and everyone's asking you to stop, please stop. I don't mind joking around, but more than that really bothers me. I say this should be enforced to a point. If everyone is okay with the PDA, I see no problem with it. If only one person disagrees with it, they should probably come back later. If it's still going on, then they should be respected for at least having the patience.

Very true, because I know that I have seen people pop in, see some heavy PDA goin on and say 'I'm out' and leave for awhile. This would prevent the unintentional discouragement of people joining chat for fear of becoming insta-uncomfortable.

Tathariel said:
Another point to be brought up, please don't PDA someone if they don't ask for it, or you know they don't like it.

A very good point, I wouldn't have thought to mention that. I don't see it often, but it does merit mentioning.

More people should use the raw chat. When there's fewer people around, nobody gives a damn what's said, but during peak hours there's a lot of snappishness.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bluemoonroleplaying.com/forums/chat/">chat/</a><!-- l -->

Trygon said:
More people should use the raw chat. When there's fewer people around, nobody gives a damn what's said, but during peak hours there's a lot of snappishness.

chat/

I may be wrong is saying this, but didn't there used to be a link to it along with User Control Panel, messages and such? I couldn't remember the address to it.

I agree with every one to a point, but like padan said, this is an adult website. If you truely have a problem with it, there is an ignore function for a reason...If more then one person asks them to stop, then they should stop, but if you seem to be the only one with the problem, ignore them.

My_Apocalypse_Pony said:
I agree with every one to a point, but like padan said, this is an adult website. If you truely have a problem with it, there is an ignore function for a reason...If more then one person asks them to stop, then they should stop, but if you seem to be the only one with the problem, ignore them.
But you shouldn't have to ignore everything someone has to say because of the excess PDA. Just because it's an adult site doesn't mean everyone's comfortable with seeing their friends e-flirt and go into sexual situations. If the majority is uncomfortable, I don't see why it can't be taken to private forms of communication. Such as PMs, threads, IMs, or e-mails. I think it's more reasonable that it should depend on the comfort levels of other chat members.

If the majority is comfortable with it, it also should be fine. But just going "IGNORE THEM AND MOVE ON" doesn't really bring a level of understanding.

Because some people do not know what etiquette means.

etiquette definition
eti·quette (et′i kit, -ket)
noun
the forms, manners, and ceremonies established by convention as acceptable or required in social relations, in a profession, or in official life
the rules for such forms, manners, and ceremonies
Etymology: Fr étiquette, lit., ticket

Definitions of rule on the Web:

a principle or condition that customarily governs behavior; "it was his rule to take a walk before breakfast"; "short haircuts were the regulation"
convention: something regarded as a normative example; "the convention of not naming the main character"; "violence is the rule not the exception"; "his formula for impressing visitors"
principle: a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct; "their principles of composition characterized all their works"
govern: exercise authority over; as of nations; "Who is governing the country now?"
the duration of a monarch's or government's power; "during the rule of Elizabeth"
dominion: dominance or power through legal authority; "France held undisputed dominion over vast areas of Africa"; "the rule of Caesar"
predominate: be larger in number, quantity, power, status or importance; "Money reigns supreme here"; "Hispanics predominate in this neighborhood"
directions that define the way a game or sport is to be conducted; "he knew the rules of chess"
decide on and make a declaration about; "find someone guilty"
any one of a systematic body of regulations defining the way of life of members of a religious order; "the rule of St. Dominic"
have an affinity with; of signs of the zodiac
principle: a rule or law concerning a natural phenomenon or the function of a complex system; "the principle of the conservation of mass"; "the principle of jet propulsion"; "the right-hand rule for inductive fields"

My issues, are with Goatse, and Misha (Others as well, but they are the first that come to mind), who do the scat/vore/g​ore/etc... Which goes along a similar line of the rape.

Adult website yes, but those kinds of things are sickening to a good portion of people, not just myself.

Neurok_Shinobi said:
My issues, are with Goatse, and Misha (Others as well, but they are the first that come to mind), who do the scat/vore/g​ore/etc... Which goes along a similar line of the rape.

Adult website yes, but those kinds of things are sickening to a good portion of people, not just myself.
Just say something and people will stop. Not saying anything until now wouldn't have really helped. Just ask and you shall receive. But if everyone's enjoying it, wait a few moments and come back later. If it hasn't stopped yet, then just ask.

The only thing that I have a problem with is people Overly Godmodding in the chat, whether it's from changing what they said before, or doing some insanely cheap technique that they can do forever. This isn't a fighting group for starters, This isn't DnD for seconds, and you can't do everything in the book!

[\rage]

Kingschoolyou said:
*firez his lazar at raz, but to no avail since he's already immune to said epic weapon* >8U
You didn't charge enough energy, and even if you did, I could dodge it.

Not that it's a illegal attack, it won't hit the whole room.

Raziel99 said:
Kingschoolyou said:
*firez his lazar at raz, but to no avail since he's already immune to said epic weapon* >8U

Yeah but you forgot, this is chat we're talking about. I could totally "This is SPARTA" your ass into the endless hole while firing my lazar to distract you and shit. Not that, that's NOT godmodding or anything. >.>

Kingschoolyou said:
Raziel99 said:
Kingschoolyou said:

Yeah but you forgot, this is chat we're talking about. I could totally "This is SPARTA" your ass into the endless hole while firing my lazar to distract you and shit. Not that, that's NOT godmodding or anything. >.>
Because a foot after someone yells "This Is SPARTA!" is not obvious and easily avoided, as is a lazer coming out of somebody's mouth. It's been done before. But saying it hits no matter what is different, and will earn you getting grabbed by the foot and tossed overhead into the pit. Yay for 230-degree tosses!

Ilovegoatse said:
Neurok_Shinobi said:

Just say something and people will stop. Not saying anything until now wouldn't have really helped. Just ask and you shall receive. But if everyone's enjoying it, wait a few moments and come back later. If it hasn't stopped yet, then just ask.

How is that solving anything? "I want people to feel comfortable in chat, but if everyone else loves the poop and gore talk... just come back later"

Rubyliday said:
Ilovegoatse said:
Neurok_Shinobi said:

How is that solving anything? "I want people to feel comfortable in chat, but if everyone else loves the poop and gore talk... just come back later"
I said the same thing about the chat orgies. If everyone's enjoying them at the time, come back later. If it's still going on, ask them to stop.

Ilovegoatse said:
vampire seduction said:

My_Apocalypse_Pony said:
...this is an adult website. If you truely have a problem with it, there is an ignore function for a reason...

What about two simultaneously running chatrooms? One is for general chat, and will be the one displayed on the site. The other is no holds barred.

Fair enough. I was gone for awhile so I missed this topic. The chat seems to breed drama every now and then, so even though this has passed I thought it worth the suggestion.

As_Day_Fades said:
Fair enough. I was gone for awhile so I missed this topic. The chat seems to breed drama every now and then, so even though this has passed I thought it worth the suggestion.
No comment really on your comment.

Just saying hello to someone who likes the same shirt. ^^

Back
Top Bottom