Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Pacific Rim: Two Front War (always open!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake looked out onto the helipad as they came in, noticing another coming out onto the helipad. With a snarky smile, Jake turned to walk over to Catherine, hands in pockets as he chewed on a toothpick.

"'Ello there. Fancy meeting you here," He said with a slight chuckle.

She returned his smirk but it was more playful than malicious. "Likewise." She called with a laugh. Moments later the helicopter landed and Lex bounced over to her. She hugged the girl tightly. "Great job Lex, you guys did awesome." She left out the part about her relief at them coming home safely. "We still on for that beach date?" She asked.

Matthew quickly rushed down a flight of stairs after running past everyone on the hangar and began to run to the beach. It seemed like the only place he could really go to clear his head. He felt as if he let everyone down. Knowing that most of the trainees were older than him doubt himself even more. Lex was older and she just knew how to deal with everything...Matthew was still a teen.

Lex smiled some but was distracted by her brother running off. "Yes the beach sounds amazing! I need a break", she said with a sigh."But i dont think Matthew will want to go..."
She was extremely exhausted from the ordeal and felt faint. Her head was spinning and she felt as if she needed to find somewhere to sit or else.....she dropped to her knees. The world was spinning before her and Lex gripped her head tightly. The battle had caused alot of strain on not only her body but her mind.

Jake spit out his toothpick and turned to Catherine. "Hey, I'll uh... I'll meet you guys down there in a second. I'll check on Canuck."

Jake ran through the crowds, pushing past to see if he could find Matt. The hell was he? As he continued throughout the base, he thought about how sometimes when he was a kid, Jake would retreat to his room when their Mom and Dad were in fights. John would always chase after him. Hm. Finally he burst out the door that led out to the beach. There was Matt. He approached him apprehensively, placing a hand on his shoulder gently.

"Hey Canuck. You seem a bit disheveled. Wanna talk about it?"

Catherine wrapped her arms around Lex and hefted her off the ground. She kept one arm wrapped tightly around her waist and the other gripping her arm that was slung around her shoulder. "Come on hun, let's get you to bed and have the doctors come check you out." She helped Lex all the way back to the barracks and tucked her in like a concerned older sister...which she supposed is what she kind of was.

Matthew looked at Jake, his eyes full of anger. "Why do you care!?" He never raised his voice...ever, but he was just angry with himself. So angry he was ready to just quit the Juggernauts, quit the whole Jaeger Program. He had went through all the schooling for years to become a Ranger but still he couldnt do it right. The 17 teen year old rose to his feet and began to walk closer to the water while kick the sand.

"How embarrassing..." Lex managed to say with a weakly faint giggle. She still couldnt stop herself from wondering about her brother and what had happened to him while piloting. With a partial drift she could only could see quick glimpses of what he was thinking. She remembered a field full with snow but thats all she could remember remember. "...Hows Delta Canuck...? And be honest...is he repairable?"

Jake sighed as Matthew got angry. He walked toward him even as he walked to the water and kicked the sand. "Because I'm a friend, Canuck. Now, come on then, tell me. I missed drinks with a nice girl for this, so we might as well talk this out."

Jake grabs a lawn chair stacked near the door and pulls it up next to him, laying his jacket down on the it before pointing to it. "Not exactly a therapist's couch, but it's better than nothing, I guess. Don't make me treat you like my brother, when we were kids, I' keep punching him in the arm until he told me. And I'm tired. And frustrated. So this isn't the best time for that."

Matthew looked to Jake and then at the lawn chair. He debated in bis mind whether this was a good idea or if it was just going to end with him going straight to his room and staying there for the next week. He decided to give it a go since he really was backed into a corner. Walking back to the chair he tried not to make eye contact with the man in sunglasses. It made him feel weird not knowing where Jakes eyes were. "Fine...but you would have been better off with the drinks." Matthew wondered why this guy even cared so much...'whats so special about me, im just some kid trying to be something im not....a Ranger...', he thought to himself.

Catherine sat on the edge of her bed. "Hey we got the best mechanics in the country, they will get Delta repaired in no time so don't worry about that." She smiled at the girl. "You need to get well too so you can pilot again missy." She smoothed the edge of a blanket idly. "Lex what happened out there, to your brother?" Elizabeth hoped Jake had found Matthew, she trusted him to take care of the kid in fact he seemed determined to do so. She almost laughed at the idea, they seemed to have started their own little surrogate family here at this base. Though doing so could make for a lot of heartache later on.

Jake sighed and took off his sunglasses for a second, hooking them into his shirt. Standing

"Maybe I would have been. But I'm here now, so let's make the best of it. What happened while you were in action? Hm? Did you get nervous? Angry? Did you chase the rabbit?" Jake asked as he turned to the kid.

He might have reminded him of his brother, but Matt was also only a kid. He needs to have someone in his life to strive toward. To one day overcome or be like. Whether that's a father figure or some other surrogate role... well, I guess the two will find out together. Jake sighed as he watched the water move in and out of the shore line as he waited for Matt's answer.

Lex shrugged unsure of what actually happened. "I felt his fear right before he passed out...he didnt want to die..." She realized then that his fear had taken over and thats why they lost their connection.

"I dont know, i just couldn't focus..." He was to busy worrying about surviving and his body did the only rational thing it could do...hide.

Jake nodded. "So you let nervousness and fear overtake you. That's normal. Common. Hell, it was probably both of your faults in part, if you feel everything your partner feels. Don't worry about it. You could have actually died, but you didn't. You helped defend the world from one of those things. That's the only thing I think we could ask of you when it comes to piloting a Jaeger."

Jake stands out and looks at the water and kind of chuckles to himself. "Sorry, I'm pretty shitty with words. But... I try."

Jake finally sits down next to the lawn chair. "Now that you're here and you don't talk much, I have something I want to talk about. I have a feeling things are going to get bad. Razorhands... he seemed like he was only the beginning. That there is something waiting for us to let our guard down and strike. I don't know when or what it really is... but there's something in that ocean that wants to kill us more than anything in the world. And I think, if we don't stop this, if we don't get our act together... it's going to destroy us all."

Jake stopped talking and stood up. "Let's go check on Catherine and your sister. Maybe they're up for drinks." Jake was already going through the door as he finished.

Catherine wrapped an arm around Lex and hugged her. "Everyone is afraid of that sweetie. It helps if you find something in your heart that you want to protect more than anything. With that in your mind, it seems a bit easier to get past the fear." She shrugged. "It takes most pilots a while to get past the fear and most have more time then either of you did." She glanced at the clock on the wall. "Did you feel up to looking for your brother right now? Maybe a walk would make you feel better?"

She rose to her feet and stretched. "I am sure he's probably worried about you." She stated with a kind smile and an outstretched hand.

Jake walked through the door to where Catherine and Lex were sitting and standing. With a mischievous smile, Jake walked over to them and stood in front of them. He pulled out a toothpick and stuck it into his mouth, chewing on it absentmindedly. He shoved both of his hands into his pockets.

"Hey there. How are we doing tonight, ladies? I never got to meet you, Lex. I'm Jake. I'm a friend. I talked to you during your flight out. Nice work during the mission. How are you doing, by the way? You seemed hurt the last time I saw you, at least briefly,"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom