Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Three Way Tie (LingeringDesire and Josu_T)

Josu_T

Supernova
Mark Willis stepped out of his car and slowly walked to the large building. It was quiet, but a few others could be seen around. The students of the middle school wouldn't be arriving in large numbers for another hour. He was there early since, as a teacher, he needed to get ready for his classes that day. There was another reason though. He wanted to be there early because it was the first day of another teacher. He went right to the teacher's lounge and sat down, relaxing and waiting for the new teacher to arrive.

Phil Desmond parked his own car next to Mark's and gathered his things. He was clearly excited as he made his way into the school. He was ready to start teaching his classes. He was one of the science teachers and he was taking over part way through the year after one of the other teachers left to take care of her sick mother. Phil had made sure that he was up to date on what the students had been learning and he knew he was as prepared as he could be. He went into the school and soon found the office. He picked up a few important documents, then went to the teacher's lounge.

When Phil entered the room Mark stood. The two men smiled and hugged tightly. It had been far too long since they had seen each other, though it had only been a few months. For two men who had been best friends since childhood two months felt like an eternity. They were practically brothers and cared about each other more that some brothers. Mark had told Phil about the job opening and had vouched for him. Mark had been teaching at the school for two years already and was partly into his third year. At 26 he was still a very young teacher. Phil was even younger, starting his first full time position at only 24, the same as Mark had been when he'd first got the job. Both had worked on the substitute lists for two years before getting their jobs.

They sat and talked for a while. Mark introduced Phil to everyone that entered the lounge. Eventually it came time for them to get to their classrooms before students started to arrive. Phil got directions to his classroom and made his way there as Mark went another direction to his social studies classroom. They made plans to have lunch together and to hang out after the school day was over. Now that they were in the same place again they would definitely be spending more time together. Even though they had been apart for a while they were still best friends. They would talk about everything.

The day started and both men started their first classes. The kids took their places. For Mark it was business as usual. The students were used to him and knew him. They had an established routine. He started to teach where he had left off at the end of the class before. As he taught he occasionally ran a hand through his short brown hair. His blue eyes scanned the classroom to make sure everyone was paying attention. He had an imposing figure that really made sure of it though. He was 6'3" with broad shoulders and a strong frame. His attitude didn't match his build though. He was a very nice, friendly guy.

Phil was a little different. He had to introduce himself to the students and would need time to learn their names. He also needed to pick up where they had been, but it wasn't going to flow easily. He needed to prove himself to them. He didn't have the advantage of Mark's size, but he did have one advantage of his own. His light hair and brown eyes matched with an athletic 6'0" build and natural attractive features had a number of the girls in the classroom paying close attention to him. They were far to young for anything to ever happen, but as long as they were focused he was happy. His attitude and teaching style made sure the rest of the students were paying attention as well.

When the morning came to an end the two of them left their classrooms and went to the teacher's lounge where they met to eat lunch. They took up two of the seats at a small table with four seats total. Mark started asking Phil about his first classes and Phil answered. Mark had completely forgotten about his usual lunch plans in the excitement of having his friend arriving for his first day.

Samantha Reynolds eased her car from the driveway of her condo. The sun was just barely up and neither was she, she needed coffee and... she groaned. Mark. She really wanted to see Mark, it had been like two weeks and well, she missed him. A smile crept it's way across her face as she stepped from the car to sate one of her desires. Pulling her coat around her tighter she shivered, the slacks and tunic under her coat not holding any more heat within her small frame. At least it had stopped snowing, she thought as her boots crunched over the salt coating the parking lot and sidewalk outside the little coffee shop.

It was dull inside, soft music pumped into the place as the few workers milled about, one even calling out a cheerful greeting. She smiled softly and waved, "Large coffee with cream and sugar please..." She sat her purse on the counter before turning her eyes to the pastries on display in the glass enclosure. The question hung in the air, was that all? "I'll take a croissant too, please." She paid the lady and stood with waiting. She loved coffee and even though most preferred other coffee-like drinks, nothing beat a hot steaming cup of joe. "Thank you!" She grasped her tall papery foam cup in it's sleeve and hurried out the door and back onto the road.

Samantha hated being late, but she knew many would and none even considered her late. At least she was one of the few coming in well before the hour the students would arrive. Thankfully they only had a few more months to go before school would be out and summer break would be upon them. Pulling into her assigned spot she noticed a strange male making his way into the building. If it wasn't so cold and she didn't have too many layers she'd have jumped out and walked with him, "Must be the new guy..." she stated before shouldering her bag and beginning her won walk into the building.

Her room was located on the upper floor, the stairs took her past Mark's room. Though the light was on he wasn't in. Continuing down the hall three more doors and a turn she found her room. Large and cold, she shivered as she sat her things down on the empty desktop. "Brrr," Rubbing her hands together after pulling her gloves off, she didn't like that she could see her breath still. "Great, " She sighed and moved to the phone on the wall. The janitor asked her to stick around. "So much for seeing ark this morning," She silently wondered if they were still on for lunch... this was before her mind traveled to the new guy. What was HE like?

All she saw was light hair and even that was capped off and snuggled up to a dark jacket and hat. Moving to her filing cabinet she pulled out her lessons and the books she'd had pulled for the start of the semester. The unit on poetry would be an interesting one as she asked her students to challenge themselves and recreate some of these masterpieces. Slipping a small book onto each desk along with a schedule of works and their due dates. The tinker of the janitor was dismissed as he got to work on her radiator.

With her coffee long gone and her students gaining in noise the petite brunette raised her voice. "Settle down..." When all was quiet she spoke again. "I know everyone is excited to see their friends and catch up, but I need for you to begin work on your recreation of one of Maya Angelou's works. Brain storm... gather in groups with others wanting to do the same piece and QUIETLY work on them. Thank you!" She slumped into her seat, fingers caressing her temples as her eyes squeezed shut. Her stomach growled and she remembered the croissant she hadn't ate. A quick glance at the clock told her that the lunch bell would be ringing in just a moment and the entire school would be on lunch for an hour. Thirty minutes to eat and thirty minutes to relax, each student and teacher received the same treatment.

The bell rang and she watched her students rush out. Relief filled her green eyes as she locked her door and stepped into the hall. Her heels clicked lightly on the floor as she moved through the building, her warm boots resided in a puddle in the corner behind her desk. Passing Mark's room she frowned, he wasn't there again... did he forget about their lunch plans? pursing her lips she tucked her keys in her pocket next to the spot where her pocket resided. A quick trip through the special teachers area and she was soon on her way toward the teacher's lounge, salad, drink and croissant in hand. The door swung open after her id was scanned and she smiled at him as he sat at their table. Slipping into the new seat she pressed her lips together, refreshing her lipstick before clearing her throat and smiling in satisfaction that the unknown guy would no longer be... unknown.

"Hi Mark," Her legs crossed as she pulled the lid off her salad and began cutting and adding the dressing. Her wide green eyes flitted over first him, and then his friend. He looked good, Mark did... his friend wasn't bad looking either. "New clothes?" She commented noticing the new shirt he wore. "Hello, I'm Samantha Reynolds, English teacher for 8th grade Blue... you are?" Her smile widened as he turned his attention on her, he was handsome but she decided in an instant that Mark was the better option. The 26 year old female crossed her legs and began eating her salad, waiting for Mark to talk about his holiday.

Mark glanced up from the table and saw Samantha as she walked into the room. It was then that he remembered that they normally had lunch together. He didn't say anything as she took her seat. He just smiled at her. Phil didn't notice her until she had taken a seat, but once she was there his attention was fully on her. He was a little jealous when she greeted Mark first, but knew that she must be friends with Mark. Mark looked into her eyes for a moment and then waited for her inevitable introduction to Phil. When that happened Phil smiled at her warmly. "It is great to meet you Samantha. I'm Phil Desmond. I'm the new science teacher. Eighth grade... red section I think. I'm still learning how everything works here, but Mark has been a great help. But of course that's because..."

Before Phil could continue Mark nudged him under the table to get him to stop. An idea was already forming in his mind and he didn't want Samantha to know they had been best friends for a very long time. He cut in quickly. "I knew he was new here and I could tell right away we would get along so I decided to help. I must admit that I got so caught up with it that I forgot about lunch with you today. I'm sorry Samantha. I'll make it up to you another day." He left it at that and Phil started to wonder both why Mark had stopped him and what there was between Mark and Samantha. Though what was more important was simply getting to know Samantha better. She hadn't said much, but he could tell he was going to like her already.

Mark took a few bites of his lunch and then he cleared his throat. "So now that introductions are done, let's talk. How was your time off Samantha? I had a good time with friends and family, though I must admit I did miss this place a little. Being away from my friends here is always a little difficult." He looked a little shy as he said that. He really meant that he had missed being around her. He always enjoyed the time they spent together and while Phil would always be his best friend, Samantha was almost as important to him. He wasn't really sure why he had never asked her out before, but he felt it had to have something to do with not wanting to ruin their friendship. At least that was his excuse. The real reason was more along the lines of him being too nervous and wanting to be completely certain she was interested before asking her out and he just couldn't be one hundred percent certain. That one small, minute doubt hiding deep inside had kept him from telling her how he felt and asking her out.

Samantha's eyes flitted over him, Phil seemed like a great guy. Kind, sexy, she was certain the girls were paying attention in his class. He was something new to look at but the way things were going with Mark before the Christmas break she had a good feeling. Screwing that up now would be a waste of time, besides that she needed to get laid... not that she planned on telling either of these two that anytime soon. His sentence ended strangely and mark was speaking, her lips smiled wider. "How nice and oh, ok.. I'd really like that." She reached out and gave his hand a squeeze before pulling back and tilting her head at him.

He made her heart break out in show tunes and made her feet want to dance, it was ridiculous. But they had a certain chemistry. How he hadn't figured it out yet was beyond her. She paused and listened to him talk, what she wanted to hear was that he'd missed her, but that had yet to fall from his lips. "My break was good, I went home to see my folks... got the third degree about a husband. I wish they'd give up... I mean no one is knocking down the door." She shoved a forkful of salad in her mouth to stop herself. It had all been a blur and she spent most of it holed up in her childhood room crying her eyes out since all they kept talking about was her non existent dating life.

Swallowing the bite she smiled, "Parents... can't live with them and can't wait until they are old enough to put in a home." It wasn't entirely true, just some times. "What about you Phil... what big plans did you have over the Holidays?" She stretched her legs out, bumping into both. "Sorry...." She said, dipping her head and blushing. She was only trying to find Mark's and NOT Phil's too. Could she have a do over maybe? Doubt it came her mind's response as she listened to Phil.

Phil was barely paying attention to Mark as the three of them talked. He was focused on the attractive woman. He didn't really pick up on the fact that she seemed more interested in his friend. When Samantha mentioned that there was no one really going after her for a relationship he was surprised. He'd figured there were a number of guys asking her out on a regular basis. Now he knew there was a chance there. He chuckled at her little joke about parents. He was glad his weren't too bad. The touch from her leg was enough to make him hope for more. He smiled warmly. "That's ok. These are pretty small table's. Stuff like that is bound to happen. As for my vacation, I spent much of it trying to secure this job. But I also had a good time with family." He shrugged slightly.

Mark noticed Phil's clear attraction for Samantha right away. They had known each other a very long time and Mark knew how to read Phil like a book. He also seemed to notice that Samantha was flirting a little more than normal and he had to conclude that it was because of Phil. It was the only thing that had changed. He really liked her and wanted to be with her, but his doubt was starting to grow a little. The idea in the back of his mind was slowly starting to form more and more. He stayed fairly quiet as they ate lunch. Phil spoke more, wanting to get to know Samantha better. Mark simply planned on talking to her later, so he focused more on eating. His eyes were on her much of the time though. He just couldn't help himself.

Samantha was clueless about the things running through Phil's head, so set on Mark but not even picking up that he was waiting for a signal of some sort from her. Had she not been openly flirting with him? She flashed him her killer smile, glad he liked her little joke. But hey, she was friendly and Phil seemed a nice friend for Mark. She nodded in understanding, "Well we are glad to have you. And yeah these tables are a bit small, but it's better than eating alone. I'll try to keep the touching to below knee level." She blushed and sipped at her water, at least she didn't say below the belt.

Could mark make her even MORE tongue-tied. Sam hated it that Mark was so quiet. Was he backing off , maybe he came to a different conclusion over the holidays? Before they seemed to flirt a bit and now he was pretty much ignoring her. Chewing on her lip she was sure to offer her assistance to Phil, should he need it. It was a polite gesture, something she didn't think of as flirting or coming on to him. If she knew that she'd have stopped immediately and walked away. but she didn't see it as flirting, only as being nice.

Lunch was finished, Sam pushed her salad away and finished her bottle of water. "So Phil, what did you do before this. I know I'm dying to know... Mark probably is as well." She smiled and touched his arm gently. Her fingers stroking the sleeve of Mark's shirt as she smiled into his face sweetly.

When they were finished with their meals the two men relaxed. As Samantha asked Phil about his previous job he just shrugged. He felt a little jealous about the look she gave Mark and the touch to Mark's arm. Mark smiled at her and nodded, agreeing with her. He knew what Phil had been doing, but he wasn't about to say that. He didn't even look at Phil though, simply waiting for his friend to answer.

Phil waited for the other two to pay attention to him, then he spoke up. "I was in school to get my degree, of course. Then I spent the last couple of years on the Teacher-on-call list. You probably did the same for a while at some point. Getting all the substitute jobs I could. When I heard about this job I applied as soon as I could. I'm just glad I got it. And there seem to be even more reasons I should be happy about this job." He smiled at Samantha and hoped she understood that she was definitely one of the reasons he knew he was going to like working there.

Her attention turned to Phil, her hand dropping away from Mark's arm. He hadn't even seemed to have acknowledged it, save for his smile. What would he do if after school she came to his room, locked the door and pulled the shades. Would he THEN get the hint? Her hand lifted and she absently toyed with the buttons as Phil spoke. When he spoke of there being more reasons, she blushed. Her hand lifted to her earring and she cleared her throat. Glancing at Mark she sighed, "Perhaps..."

Why didn't Mark see her as attractive, available and OH SO willing? Biting her lip she hoped to dissuade the man. "Yeah we all paid our price... I graduated early so I have been here longer than Mark even though we are almost the same age." She smiled and slid her hand along her jaw as she leaned on her elbow. She was only a few months older, able to say year soon since her birthday was coming up.

"Should I walk you back to class... so we can talk?" She asked Mark gently. "Or should I wait for you in my room at the end of day?" She smiled and blushed a touch as she noticed Phil still watching her. "My planning break is 5th bell, whenever yours is you should come down for coffee and a breather. Sometimes on Fridays we bring in cookies or cake... there is a new recipe I want to try, might have to do that this week. But, well.." she wrinkled her nose. "Not many like dark chocolate anymore..."

Phil was a little disappointed that he wasn't getting as much of a response, but it was starting to become very clear to him where her attention was focused. When she talked about when her break was he smiled happily. He had the same break as her and that meant he would at least have a chance to get to know her better, even if Mark was the one she was interested in. He nodded to her. "I'm always happy to try new things. I've got that as my break, so I'll definitely be there. I look forward to it"

Mark let Phil talk for the moment, then he took his turn. "Let's meet in your room at the end of the day. We'll have more time to talk then. I'll be there as soon as I can be." He smiled at her and then looked at Phil. He needed to have a conversation with his friend in private before classes started again. He slowly stood up and gathered his things and he was glad when Phil did the same. Phil said goodbye to Samantha and Mark lingered for a moment. "I'll see you later, I hope your classes go well this afternoon." He then turned and left with Phil. The two made their way out of the teachers' lounge and down the hall.

"Same as me... well that is good, at least you will know one person..." She gave Phil a saucy wink and laughed as her hand reached out and touched his arm gently. She turned her head toward the other male, her hand moving back to her side of the table. Samantha nodded at Mark, "Ok, I'll be sure to wait around... maybe we can go for drinks... or dinner tonight?" She asked hopefully, she didn't want to go this route and be so forward. it seemed they would talk in her room at the end of the day.

She smiled and said goodbye to both men, "Thank you mark... I look forward to talking to you after classes... hope yours go well too." Watching him walk away she smiled after both of them. She was such a sap. Maybe today would be the day when Mark would come to his senses and realize she had asked him out and he said nothing...

The rest of the day drug on slowly. She was counting down until the moment she could see Mark again. Her heart was really set on him... well perhaps every part of her and NOT just her heart. A smile slid across her lips, but it was a naughty looking smile. Thankfully she had her students noses lowered into books and not focused on her. God she needed to pay attention to her class more and put Mark out of her head.

It seemed when she was able to do this the day flew by. Walking into the teachers lounge just after the bell rang she smiled. "Coffee break!"

A math teacher was cleaning up her work and heading out. "Lucky you, seems mine just ended."

Samantha gave her a sympathetic smile and filled her cup up to the brim with the hot brew. She slid onto the comfortable faux leather couch and put her feet up on the low table in front of it. Her feet were out of her heels and the thick tights she wore kept her feet warm. Closing her eyes she relaxed and let the coffee work it's way into her system. "First day back in two weeks, I think I'm ready for another break."

The door opened and two people came in laughing, the gym teacher and a teacher's aide for the art department. She had a sign up sheet for something and added it to the rest on the counter. "Already time for the Valentine's dance?" She asked slipping her shoes on and going to look.

The two friends walked until they got to Phil's classroom. They still had a little time before the students returned, so they sat and started to talk. Phil asked right away about Samantha and what was going on there. Mark explained that he'd liked Samantha for a long time, but nothing had ever happened between them. He even admitted that it was because he was nervous and unsure. Phil laughed at that and explained that he was certain Samantha was into him, but that he'd hoped Mark wasn't interested so he'd have a chance. The two continued to talk about her and for a moment they thought they might end up competing over her before Mark finally came up with a solution. The two of them had been friends for so long that there was no reason for them to argue over a woman. They would do what they did with everything. They would share her.

They started to talk for a while about how they would do it and Mark had a plan. He explained it to Phil quickly and Phil agreed. It would take a while, but it was the only way to be sure. Even if it didn't work they felt that one of them would end up with her anyway. With the plan in place Mark returned to his classroom just in time for the start of classes.

Both men spent the afternoon teaching their classes. Mark got his break early and when Phil's came he made his way to the teacher's lounge again. He was looking forward to seeing Samantha again. He remembered what Mark had said and when he arrive he got some coffee. Then he spotted Samantha at one of the counters. He walked over to her and looked down at the stuff on the counter. He saw a sign-up sheet to chaperone a dance and it seemed that Samantha was interested in it. He was happy about that, mostly because he probably would have volunteered anyway. It sounded like a good way to get involved with the school and become part of the community. He reached down and quickly signed his name. He smiled at Samantha and stepped away.

He let her finish deciding if she was going to sign up. Then he invited her to sit with him and talk for a while. He found a quiet corner and relaxed in one of the seats there. He was looking forward to getting to know her better, though he knew he also had something to say to her. That was permanently in the back of his mind, but it wasn't something to rush into. He took it slow and just started to talk with her casually.

While still debating, Phil had slipped in. Samantha saw him approach and was poised to retort. However, the male said nothing and simply signed the page and moved on, with a smile gifted her. Blinking she pursed her lip and signed her name just below his. It would be fun and perhaps if nothing panned out with Mark ... she shook her head, what was she saying. Scratching her name out she spun and saw him sitting right where he said he'd be. She bit her lip and turned back to the sheet. In a quick thought she scribbled her name on a line and ran before she could think on it more.

She was old enough to be in a good relationship, having to keep her options open. Already she'd spent most of the year on Mark and where had that gotten her. Nowhere. At least this guy showed an interest, at least, she hoped that was what it was.

Samantha slid onto the cushion next to him on the couch. slipping her shoes off she settled her legs under her. One hand wrapped about her coffee mug and the other lingered along the back of the couch. They spoke of where they grew up, she in a small town . Then she bored him with stories about growing up on a farm. Well she supposed they didn't bore him since he laughed with her. her fingers toyed with her short hair nervously.

Nervous because she was meeting Mark after school. She secretly hoped that he would confess his secret attraction to her, ask her out, kiss her or any other number of things. There was a niggling of doubt in the pit of her stomach, telling her none of this was happening and she should just go with what was presenting itself. She touched his arm and smiled gently, "I'm going to get more coffee, I'll be right back." Standing she walked to the coffee pot, while pouring she turned to look over her shoulder at him. He wasn't a troll, she'd done worse and well, he seemed really nice. She returned to her seat and sat in the same position.

Phil enjoyed the conversation with Samantha. It was great getting to know her better and she definitely seemed comfortable around him. He got the sense that she might actually be interested in him and it felt as if it was all going to plan. He was happy about that. He was sure that Mark would be happy about it too. Though he knew that what Mark was going to do later was going to be a lot harder for him. Phil had the easy part.

When she got up and went to get some coffee he watched her and smiled at her across the room. He waited for her to rejoin him and he turned more toward her. He paused for a moment, thinking about how to word what he had to say next. After a minute he took a deep breath and looked into her eyes. He started to talk slowly and softly.

"Samantha, I know I've only known you for a short time, but I already like you a lot. I've seen that there might be someone else you are interested in and who might be interested in you as well. In fact I'm fairly sure of it. But I can't just let this opportunity go. I want to say that I would like to go out with you. I don't expect an answer now. Just know that I am here if you become available." He finished what he had to say and wondered how she would respond. He'd spoken softly enough so no one else in the room would have heard him. They were all busy with their own things anyway.

Samantha's bright blue hued eyes looked deep into his as he spoke. He seemed nervous and she leaned in closer. His words actually shocked her. One day and he was asking her out, with Mark it had been months upon months and still nothing. Though Phil said he was certain she was interested in someone and well they were interested in her as well. She blushed at the thought of Mark. Smiling, the lady was glad he didn't expect an answer now... as she was totally unprepared to give him one.

She smiled at him and sat back in her seat, wrapping her fingers around the mugs warmth she sighed. Time was needed, this was not an easy decision. She wanted to see what was going on with Mark, perhaps cue him in on Phil and ask his opinion, float the idea of another being interested in her and maybe it would spur him into asking her out... or at least showing interest.

After what seemed like forever she turned to him fully and spoke. "Thank you Phil... I am very flattered and I would like some time to consider your very thrilling offer." She grasped his hand in hers gently pressing her fingers into his palm. "I need to get going before the bell rings, I have some things to set up in my room for my next class." With a smile to him she scurried away, mind reeling.

She prayed that Mark would just make it easy and ask her out or accept her dinner invitation. He was the one that set her blood on fire and made her heart race in her chest. Though right now Phil had set it to racing and they'd just met, what the hell? She shut the door to her classroom and closed her eyes, wishing and hoping that Mark would be able to dispel these spiraling away feelings and emotions. She sat in her room in the dark until the bell rang and spurred her into action.

The rest of her classes passed with a nervous ease. The final bell rang and she busied herself with a multitude of last minute things. Like; twiddling her thumbs, straightening her empty desk and wiping down her blank white boards. Her heart raced each time someone walked down the hall, students, teachers and parents alike. She thought of Phil with his kind eyes and "go get 'em" spirit. He was a young buck to this timid doe... perhaps he was a good choice. Someone to turn her out sexually and give her what she'd been missing... but she wanted sensible. Mark was sweet and sensible, easy to talk to and she imagined him as a tiger in the bed. She groaned and sat on the edge of her desk, restacking the same stack of papers as she waited.

Phil waited patiently, letting her think and decide. When she finally looked at him again and gave her response he smiled at her. He was glad she at least seemed interested, even if she wasn't going to accept right away. It was exactly what he had hoped she would do. Now it was Mark's turn. He let her get up and go while he stayed seated. He left just before the bell and returned to his room for class. The rest of the day he was feeling happy with how things had been going on his first day there. It was a little crazy, how quickly it was going, but he knew it would turn out well.

At the end of his class Mark wondered how the conversation had gone between Phil and Samantha. He didn't have long to think about it though. His next class started shortly after and he had to start teaching again. While his students were doing some work he thought about Samantha and what he was going to do and say. He felt like he was taking a bit of a risk, but he knew he had to.

When the day ended he had a few students stay for a while to ask him questions. He answered their questions and helped them. It took a little longer than he had hoped for and when they left he quickly tidied his desk and gathered his things. Once he was ready he left his room and slowly made his way to Samantha's classroom. He arrived and peeked in. When he saw her sitting on her desk he couldn't help but admire how beautiful she was for a moment. He moved into the room and walked over to her with a smile. "Hey Samantha, did you have a nice day? Sorry again for forgetting about our lunch together."

Samantha looked at her watch, Mark was typically walking her to her car by now. Maybe he forgot, just like he'd forgotten their lunch together earlier? Sighing the female glanced at the wall clock again. She decided to give him ten more minutes and then she would change into her boots and winter coat. Her lip was between her teeth and the gray wintry sky backlighting her as she sat on the edge. The slight scuff of shoes caused her to glance toward her door. A wide smile crossed her lips in seeing Mark as he approached.

In the time they spent apart she'd forgotten how handsome he was. She slid off her desk and moved closer to him, trying to let him know she was interested, but trying not to appear desperate. Touching his arm she smiled up into his face, "I did Mr. Willis, how was yours?" Her hand lifted to touch his arm, a warm and friendly gesture. "It's okay, you had a lot happen today... what with the new guy and this being the first day and all. It's hard to remember EVERYTHING. Even for you." She turned to switch shoes, bending and making sure he'd see her great ass as she moved.

Slipping her jacket on she smiled at him again and pulled on her hat over her short brown hair. "Care to walk me out... maybe tell me what your plans are for dinner?" She pulled her bag up on her shoulder and grabbed her briefcase as well. Samantha was loving their schedule, the things that fell into their daily routine. He was just so handsome, she could have melted into a puddle when she saw him smile.

Mark was glad that she seemed so happy to see him. He was finally really starting to clue in on all the hints she was throwing his way and he knew she liked him. That made it very difficult for him to do what he had to do next. He let her talk, but when she asked if he wanted to walk her out he looked into her eyes and shook his head. "Not right now Samantha, there is something I need to say to you." He led her back toward her desk, then he went and closed the door. He didn't want anyone just walking in on them or overhearing what he had to say. He returned to her and his eyes were locked on hers as he began to speak in a soft, even tone.

"I know that it might be tough to remember everything on a day like this, but I should have remembered the plans we made. You are important to me and there is no reason for me to forget about you. I really like you Samantha. I have for a very long time. I've just been an idiot. Afraid of getting hurt by you rejecting me. For a long time I have forced myself to think that you weren't interested in me even though you've tried hard to make it clear. I am sorry for all of that as well. We could have been together and it is my fault we haven't been. Let me tell you that I do want to be with you."

He moved in close to her slowly and then leaned in. His lips pressed tightly to hers and he kissed her deeply. He held it for some time, then gradually pulled away. His eyes drifted down until he was looking at the floor and he looked visibly sad. He paused for a few seconds before he started talking again. "...but I can't be in a relationship right now. Over the vacation I ran into my first love, a girl I knew in high school. We were together for a year back then and things ended badly. I don't really want to go into details about what happened during the break, but I will say that nothing intimate happened. It would be better classified as drama. Anyway, after what happened and all the feelings that got stirred up and added to the mixture I just don't think I can be in a relationship right now. I am not ready. If something did happen I know I would not be the man you deserve. I am sorry. Just know that I care about you and maybe some day something could happen. But if you don't want to wait I understand." He eventually looked up into her eyes again and waited.

"Oh.. okay..." She smiled at him and moved back, her coat being placed on her bag as he went to the close the door. Perhaps he'd figured it out and was going to ask her out. Either way Samantha planned to ask him out if he didn't ask her. She perched on the corner of the desk her blue eyes looking straight into his as he moved closer. She bit the inside of her lower lip as she waited for him to say what he needed to. Her smile grew wider with each word he spoke. Sam wanted to jump up and dance around foolishly as he finished speaking. His words made her so happy, her heart fluttered and her entire body was filled to the brim with joy.

Watching him she mirrored his actions. her body slipping from the desk as she moved closer. However, she pulled her body in close to his, not allowing an inch between them as their lips met. She moaned into his kiss, her lips parting and accepting is kiss. Her fingers slid into his hair and tugged on the strands as she held him to her. The sparks of passion were there as well as desire and it felt right. She felt the kiss start to taper and whimpered in displeasure at the action. When he pulled free of her she was panting and her heart was racing, she was totally unprepared for the stab he was about to give her.

Noticing him looking at the floor she smiled softly, poor guy was still so shy. But the note of sadness that tinted his expression had her eyes softening and her hand lifting to reach his, she refrained. Not wanting to smother him she allowed him his space and rested on the edge of the desk once more. Her gaze left him, turning to look out the window and it's closed blinds, imagining the gray blustery day outside, anything but the heart shattering words that fell from the lips that were the cause of so much heat. I'm not going to cry, I refuse... she thought silently. He had a girlfriend and he KISSED her, oh god. She felt like she was going to be sick. Her he was wanting to be with her, telling her that, kissing her like THAT, and he was taken.

Her eyes were sad and stayed from him, he was blabbing on and giving excuses, no he wasn't with another but he couldn't be with her because of that other. She wanted to scream and cry all in the same moment. Samantha slid off the desk and into her jacket, her back to Mark. She didn't want to face him, he was breaking her heart. She felt him looking at her. "Thank you for letting me know... I h-have some where to be. I... will see you tomorrow." She ran from the room, the sadness on her face was apparent and her vision clouded with tears. Down the stairs and out the door, she didn't cast her room or him another glance.

Fat flakes fell from the sky as she unlocked her car with shaky hands, she had to let it warm and that was the only reason she sat inside. With doors locked and windows fogged, she cried. Long loud sobs drowned out by the radio. her hand hit the steering wheel and she bucked up, he said he wanted to be with her and someday it could happen. Just not now, there was no reason to lose hope. She closed her eyes and sat there trying to regain her composure. Her mind moved a picture of Phil to the front. Her mind spun, he could be fun in the mean time... Mark said he understood if she couldn't wait. She smiled as a solution came to the forefront of her mind. Phil now and Mark later, at least she wouldn't have to worry about a cold bed ALL the time.

When he saw her reaction it hurt him. He didn't want to cause her pain and doing so struck him hard. When she got up and got ready to leave he wasn't sure what to do. Her words showed how upset she was and he couldn't look at her. His heart ached as he watched her go and he nearly stopped her. He nearly called out to tell her that he was lying and that he wanted to be with her. But he stopped himself and let her go. Once she was gone he slumped down to the floor and leaned back against the wall. He stared at the ceiling in disbelief that he had just done all of that. He touched his fingers to his lips, remembering the best kiss he'd ever experienced.

He stayed there for quite some time, just thinking and trying to remember why he'd done it all. He could only hope that things would work out the way they had planned. He felt confident he could trust Phil, but they had never had a woman come between them before and things could change. With a sigh he pushed all his worries away and told himself the plan would work. He got up and grabbed his things, then left. By the time he got to the parking lot most of the staff cars were gone. He got into his and let it warm up for a minute before getting back onto the road.

Phil had stayed after school to talk to Mark, but soon after classes ended he was called to talk to the principal. He went into their office and was simply greeted. The two of them talked for a while about the school and the details of how everything worked. He made mental notes of all the information and then when the meeting was done he returned to wait for Mark. When Mark didn't show up after a while he felt like something wasn't quite right. He went to Mark's room and saw that he had packed up. Then he found Samantha's room and from the hall he could hear the heavy breathing of his friend. It was clear what had happened and for a moment Phil wondered if he should forget about Samantha and to let Mark just have her. He let his friend sit there without revealing himself and he went to his car. As he drove home he thought about it all and could only wonder what would happen.

Samantha rumbled around in her condo. Cooking dinner and doing laundry. She'd arrived and stripped and stood in the shower for over an hour. Her skin was red from the heat but then she'd toweled off and recovered. Purple cotton shorts and a black tank top adorned her frame as she stood before a bubbling pot of water to test a noodle. She slurped it up and yanked the pot from the burner and dumped it into the waiting colander sitting in her sink. Plating the noodles she spooned on the waiting roasted garlic butter sauce she'd thrown together. A sprinkle of parmesan cheese and in a minute she was sitting down in front of her TV with a glass of red wine and the bottle to watch the news.

Her spot on the couch was in the corner, small piles decorated her coffee table, work she needed to grade, something she would do when she finished. Her orange cat, Jack, meandered in and stared up at her briefly before settling on the chair nearest the window so he could watch the neighborhood. The made for TV movie was a romance, one that allowed her to reflect on her pitiful state of affairs. Her lips tingled with remembering Marks lips against hers. It was the most moving kiss she'd ever received. How could he feel THAT spark and still walk away? The jolt from it had threatened to topple her.

Her mind flitted to Phil, there was no way she could feel for him as she had for Mark. Maybe with time, but she wanted to limit it to fun. Perhaps seeing her with another would snap Mark out of his silliness. her lip was chewed as she thought. Maybe she could propose to Phil a purely physical relationship, this would allow her the freedom to jump ship to Mark once he was ready. No strings attached was the only way she could do this... would Phil go for it. Perhaps, he was a man after all.

She finished her dinner and settled down to grade papers, giving the relationship with Phil no more thought. It would be a simple proposal that he'd either go for or not. Deciding to go to bed early she graded papers until the sun dipped low beyond the horizon and turned off the lights and tucked into bed.

After a good nights rest she woke. A quick run on her treadmill, before a satisfying shower woke her up fully. She stripped her bed and remade it with silky purple sheets, added some linen spray and pulled out her outfit for the day. The news said the snow was melting and to expect a break from it. She liked that idea and pulled out a pencil skirt in black and a hot pink silky blouse with cap sleeves and a neckline that showed off skin but was still deemed work appropriate with a lacy tank beneath.

Pulling on matching undergarments she dressed then moved to the bathroom and made up her face and styled her hair back off her face in a slightly lifted, edgy way. She put on earrings and a necklace then slipped into her winter boots and long coat before snagging up her heels to wear at school. Being careful so her black stockings wouldn't catch on anything she moved to her car, stopped to grab her coffee and then headed to school. Today would be interesting and hold new challenges.

When Phil returned home he made himself some dinner and then sat, watching TV. He wanted to call Mark and ask him what happened, but figured that if Mark wanted to talk about it Mark would be the one to call. So he sat and simply hoped that the phone would ring. His thoughts drifted between his friend and the very attractive woman he'd met that day. He couldn't help but imagine what it would be like to have Samantha in his arms. Then he thought about having her in his bed and that thought was even better. He smiled to himself and simply hoped that everything would go the way he wanted. That night he went to bed early, but didn't fall asleep for a while. When he did finally sleep he was smiling.

Mark eventually returned home, making sure he avoided anyone on the way. He slumped down into his couch and thought about what he had done. He was torn. He remembered the kiss and desperately wanted to call Samantha and take it all back and tell her he wanted to be with her. He also debated more about whether he could fully trust Phil to give up Samantha. He also thought about his chances of stealing Samantha back from Phil if he didn't do what he was supposed to do. He knew he had to give his friend a chance and all the thinking was making his head hurt. He didn't feel like cooking so he ordered a meal in and sat in silence in the dark, eating once it arrived. He went to bed early and had no problem falling asleep.

In the morning Phil woke up happily and he started to get ready for his day. He had a good breakfast, then he showered and shaved. He put on a little aftershave as well. He made sure it was only a small amount so it wouldn't be smelled unless someone got close. He then dressed as nicely as he could without wearing a suit. He didn't want to be that kind of teacher. When he was ready he got into his car and drove to the school. He was excited and hopeful, though a little worried about Mark. He arrived at the parking lot and started to slowly walk into the school. He was still there well before kids would be arriving.

That morning Mark woke up late and waddled around his apartment, making himself breakfast. He showered and shaved, but the shave was quick. It was even, but he would definitely have stubble by the time the day came to an end. He dressed quickly and it was clearly something he'd just picked at random. It was slightly wrinkled, but not too much. He got into his car and drove to the school. When he arrived it was only forty five minutes before classes were scheduled to start. He quickly went inside and checked his drop box in the office, then went to his classroom. He definitely didn't want to run into Phil or Samantha that morning and didn't want to talk to anyone else.

Samantha moved around her classroom, her boots were placed in a corner and her heels clicked on the floor as she passed out the graded papers for her first class. Humming a jaunty little tune, she would speak to Phil the moment she saw him. Her lipstick might get a little messed up, she giggled at the thought. Already most of it had come off on the edge of her coffee cup.

Sadly she wondered about Mark, what was he wearing and maybe if he'd stop bye and say hello. She sighed and tapped her hand against her desk as she marked down some changes for the next year. Samantha needed to get away from the idea of Mark. Being with Phil, she hoped, would make him realize what he was missing. Glancing up she heard noise in the hall, the students were here.

Slipping out of her room she dashed to the restroom, waving and smiling at a few students. Having to pass Mark's room she took in a deep breath and kept her head facing straight forward. last thing she wanted to do was let him know he ruled over her in a more permanent way than he actually did. even though she knew he did, she just didn't want him knowing. Finishing up she freshened her lipstick and thought of her ideas to make dinner or go out to dinner for herself and Phil.

If all went well they'd arrive to school the next morning with larger smiles on their faces. She hoped he was wild stallion in the sack. She needed it bad. Drying her hands she moved from the room and cast Mark a soft glance before moving quicker, she didn't want to make it more awkward. Things would work out, she felt optimistic about it.

Mark sat at his desk in his classroom just trying to think of anything other than Samantha. It was difficult. He found himself gazing out the door and when she passed by his heart ached for a moment. He picked up some papers and started to read them, but a minute later he was looking out the door again. When Samantha passed by again he saw her smile and that just hurt more. Fortunately Phil didn't stop by to ask questions. When students started to enter his classroom he was able to focus on being a teacher and that made everything a lot easier. He smiled and greeted each student and answered a few questions that some of them had.

Phil spent his morning in the teacher's lounge for a while. He didn't want to rush Samantha to see if she would accept his offer. He'd told her to take time to think about it and that meant he needed to wait for her and he needed to give her space. He wasn't sure what happened with her and Mark the night before, but he was sure things had happened according to plan. He didn't know if Samantha would want to start something right after hearing what Mark had to say though. He didn't mind. Being in the teacher's lounge gave him a chance to meet some of the other teachers and staff at the school and he was already starting to feel like he fit in.

When the time came Phil made his way to his classroom. He got ready just before the kids arrived and then waited for them to all be seated. As they came in he tried his best to remember their names. He wanted to learn all of their names as soon as possible. When the bell rang he took attendance and used that to help him learn names. Once it was done he started to go through the lesson that he had prepared. He was able to stop thinking about what Mark was going through and what Samantha might do, though he was still looking forward to seeing her again.

Samantha passed through her morning classes as well as could be expected. Her mind was on other things though she tried shoving them away, she was a little more than distracted. Samantha couldn't wait for lunch to roll around, she'd made plans with girlfriend to go out to lunch. She'd done so in haste when she feared facing Mark for that period. Giving him a few days to adjust would be best, at least before springing the idea of her and Phil on him.

Phil, her mind went a bit tingly and her body reacted. There was a sexual attraction, a buzz in him that made her pop and react. It was worth exploring, at least until Mark came to his senses. She began humming and it soothed her soul, she wasn't over Mark and it likely wouldn't happen soon either. She wondered if taking things slow and giving Phil a chance would be best, but she didn't linger long on the subject. She couldn't dwell on it and honestly didn't want anyone but Mark. Sure, it wasn't fair to Phil but he already knew she wanted Mark.

Over lunch she and her friend talked about what she'd say to Phil. She was still flying high when she returned to school from her lunch out. Sam had some idea of what she was going to say and some semblance of a plan. If it was a fun fling, a physical, non-serious, no strings attached relationship she didn't have to worry about dinner or dates. Just romps and rolls, would Phil be okay with it. It was the millionth time she'd asked herself this question today. She took a deep breath after the bell rang for her break, today she wouldn't rush there. Today she would take her time. Her heart raced as she toted her empty coffee mug into the teacher's lounge, she opened the door and moved toward the coffee pot.

The morning passed normally for both men. They taught their classes and were able to focus well enough. When the lunch bell rang they both made their way to the teachers' lounge. Mark arrived first and took a seat at a table. When Phil walked in the two looked at each other for a moment. Phil wasn't sure if he should leave his friend alone. After a while Mark smiled slightly and nodded. Phil smiled and went to sit with his oldest friend. They were quiet for a few minutes as they started to eat. When Mark realised that Phil wasn't going to push for answers he started to talk about what had happened.

After Mark had given Phil all the details the younger man put his hand on Mark's shoulder and squeezed it gently. "I know that had to be hard for you. I also know you didn't have to do it and I have to thank you. I promise that when she finally gives me an answer I will let you know. And if it seems she has given up on you I will tell her the truth and let you have her. But I think that even if she does give me a chance, she will always want you. I don't think you need to worry."

Mark didn't respond, he simply stared at his food and eventually nodded. He was glad he could trust Phil and he hoped that if things didn't work out as planned he wouldn't have lost his chance with her. They continued eating in silence for the rest of the meal and when they were done they returned to their classrooms. They both felt a lot better about things and Phil was able to think more about what might happen with Samantha.

The next class started and they both taught. At the end of it Phil realised it was time for his break. He gathered his things and made his way to the lounge again. He was expecting to see Samantha at some point during the break, but he didn't want to push her, just like he hadn't forced Mark to say anything. He entered a minute after Samantha and saw her by the coffee pot. He didn't say anything, he just walked through the room to a small couch in the corner. He already had a bottle of water in hand. He took a seat and relaxed, opening the water and sipping it slowly.

Back
Top Bottom