Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Chronicles of the Walking Dead

She could not brake it to him just yet, but she did not think the internet was up and working anymore. Not with everything that was going on, and if it was it would be most likely limited to military use only. Grabbing one of the longer ladders and started to make her way to the roof. The would only need on for now. After all after they emptied the Bodaga and trying the radio...she would most likely tell him to call it a day. No need to break themselves on the first day and a good nights rest would do them well. "Well see."

"You know boss," he said after they had moved up the ladders to the roof. "Once we get the Bodaga secured... We could take our time stripping it. I don't smoke, but those cigs and heavy duty booze will definately be good for trade goods."

"Hell," he said laughing. "I've seen guys offer damn near everything for another cigerette when they're really jonesing for a smoke."

"You don't smoke do you lieutenant?" he asked as he got up ontop of the stairs and checked the snipers nest there.

"Nope, I quit over a two years ago." But his idea lead her to a question, "Who are we going to trade with. The fucking undead? Don't think they smoke. Oh well if they do at less they don't have to worry about the smoke killing them humm?"

It was a sick joke she knew but she could not help herself. Doing her best to let the ladder out to the full 40 feet. Standing it up, getting Spaight to help with it so they would not miss the other building when they tried to make the damn ladder bridge. "God I hope this works. It would suck falling that far to the ground."

Spaight had tied nylon ropes to the ladder to help them swing it around from his perch on the sniper post. Using the ropes they got it into position and he looked down. "I'm hoping that we're not the only survivors actually." he said laughing. "If you wanted to start up again, I wouldn't blame you..."

"But I would have to say this," he said looking down at her and laughing. "You're to nice looking to pick up smoking again. We have enough supplies to build something to keep us from falling off these things. Hell, we might be able to build actual bridges. From up here, i can see something that willmake this easier.. There is a home improvement store at the other end of the street. If we could have barricaded the ends of the roads and the alleys when we frist arrived here. We could have secured most of the road. Damn combat engineers didn't think of that though I guess."

"Good well lets get working on it and get that radio working to. I want to know if the base is still there by night fall." Her eyes watching the ladder closely as the other end hit the side of the building they where trying to reach. Sure enough making their bridge to the wanted supplies.

"No problem ma'am," he said as he started to secure the ladder to the wall. "I'll set up some safety guides and secure the ladder into place. It'll hold until we can get supplies from the home improvement store to build some more stable ones while we're holed up here. If we do the right things... We can turn that roof over there into a helicopter landing pad. All we'd need to do is collapse the access to the stairs."

"And it's far enough away from this building that when we do that... It won't draw attention to us." he said grinning as he wiped the sweat from his face. "What do you think ma'am... Think that'd work?"

"I think that's an Idea we can work with. Hoping that there will be people left to fly them over the cities. God only know how much worse its gotten, seems like every day the number of dead grows while the number of living grows less and less. But anyway," She took a step onto the ladder to test it, "Lets go raid that building."

"You bet," CW3 Nathaniel Spaight said as he grabbed his rifle and followed her across the makeshift bridge. "There are apartments or offices above the bodaga, if we're lucky ma'am... We'll have what ever is located in them for resources as well."

The two discovered that the building was empty, the small one and two bedroom apartments had been abandoned. Only one of the apartments had been closed, and looked as if it's inhabitants had just stepped out for the day. The others looked like someone had rushed through grabbing what they needed before they ran off. In one room they found a renaimated life form handcuffed to the radiotor trying to chew it's own arm off to get at them when it saw them. Spaight looked at Onica and pulled his slienced .45 and fired a single shot putting the thing down. Looking in the other room they found an older woman and child, both were dead to a single gunshot wound to their heads. It was easy to tell that the mother had killed her child before killing herself.

"That's.... Not something I would have expected to see," he said softly as he fought the urge to vomit. He went into the living room and sat down and put his head beteween his knees trying to get his breathing under control. "He knew he was bit and didn't want to hurt his family when he turned. I guess his wife... Decided it better to end it for herself and their child. Than... Than end up like that."

"Damnit," he looked up and she could tell he was fighting the need to cry. "I can't stand to see babies like this. I'm sorry lieutenant... But I can't handle babies like this. I won't freeze in combat... But seeing babies like that. I'm sorry."

It did not take long for the officer to make a B line for the door. She could understand how he felt, the child clearly didn't sit well with her. More so then most. Trying to block it from her mind as she made her way down stares into the shop. "Lets just get the shit and get the hell out of here."

"Copy that ma'am," Spaight said following her, he looked back over his shoulder one last time before they headed down into the bodaga. They looked around the small storefront. And thankfully the security gate had been almost completely closed. But there was the bloody evidence that somone had been closing it when they had been burtally pulled out into the street.

"Damn," Spaight muttered as he finished closing the gate with his foot and looked around for the padlock and didn't find one. Instead he used a piece of metal from one of the nearby racks. He picked up the still fully-loaded pump shotgun that had been laying apparently out of reach of the hapless owner.

"We're already up one shotgun," he said showing it to the second lieutenant as he checked it over. "It needs a good cleaning, but it looks to be in good shape."

She could not help but offer a weak smile as she saw the shot gun, looking over the shelves at everything they would and might need. Letting her hand run over the boxes and cans of food, walking up to the bottles of liquor. Picking up one bottle to look at it, setting it down only to pick up another. No longer paying any mind to Spaight, but always looking over her shoulder to make sure it was safe.

She must have spent a few minutes just looking around before moving into a back room. She seemed to be looking for empty boxes, thinking the back storage room would be her best bet to find what she was looking for.

Nathaniel grabbed a box of beef jerky and a couple boxes of extra-strength hefty garbage bags and followed Onica into the back room. "Looking for something to put supplies in?" he asked taking a bite of a piece of jerky and cheese and offering her some for herself. "This place has alot of these... We can use them if we can't find decent boxes ma'am. But we really need to get the other storefront to secured first."

He showed her the back entrance into the other storefront, it was an 'Adam & Eve' franchise store. He was careful with opening the door, making sure he didn't hear anything on the otherside. And very slowly entered the backroom and motioned for Onica to follow providing cover for his advance. He was careful and keeping low as he moved through the isles between the various lingerie outfits hanging seductively from their hangers alongside various adult toys and novelty items.

When he reached the front of the store he stopped and held up his slienced Colt M1911A1 .45ACP and fired a three quick shots before he rushed to the front and pushed the security gate the rest of the way down and locked it into place. He sat there looking to make sure the rest of the area was cleared and sighed. "All clear ma'am... Looks like we have to stores and the apartments secured now...."

Back
Top Bottom