Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

For Science! (Candira and Jugger82)

Candira

Singularity
It hadn't been very long since the existence of mythical creatures had been discovered by Professor Braum. Of course, no one believed him. What garbage! Who would believe that creatures like elves and orcs and ogres actually existed, let alone shape-shifted to keep their identities secret? Any man who would take up such work would be a quack--laughed out of the scientific community. And so he was. That didn't stop him from continuing his research however. And to do that he hired two associates to find and persuade research subjects to come to him. He needed to conduct experiments, to have proof that these creatures really did exist and did utilize a defense mechanism that changed their appearance.

Of course, none of his theories really mattered to the hired help. They were in it for the money, mostly. Well, at least that was Kelly's reason. She had no deep drive to further science, though she thought it was an interesting theory. No, she was paid to find people with a certain set of traits picked up by a scanner and take them back to the lab for studying. Some subjects were more cooperative than others. Some even required quite a bit of force. Braum had his proof. What he needed now was analysis. Test subjects, experiments, data. When asked why he couldn't just let well enough alone, the answer was always the same, "Because it's for science! And science never sleeps!"

Well, no one said it was a good reason.

Tonight, Kelly and her partner were scanning the streets, hidden from prying eyes, for their next target. They needed a female orc--hopefully a healthy one. Unfortunately, that probably meant fight or flight meant this one would fight and it wouldn't be an easy battle. Kelly sighed, holding out her scanner, keeping it concealed by the tree she was in. She wore a pair of jeans, a black long-sleeved shirt, and black running shoes. Her red hair was pulled back into a ponytail, her side-swept bangs framing her face just a bit. Her blue eyes scanned up and down the street as she tried to find someone who matched the information the professor had given them.

With a groan she spoke softly into her headpiece. "No luck so far. How about you?"

"Nothing on my end...sorry Kelly." Nathan replied as he scouted out his end of the district in search of a female orc. He frowned as he scanned the streets with special goggles, capable of differentiating orcs from humans since orcs gave off a different kind of heat signature than humans did that was easily detectable with the certain frequency that his goggles were set to. "I'm going to hit the streets..you can stay wherever you are and cover me if I need it." With that, he descended down a ladder from the side of the building he was on and pocketed a stun rod he had. He always had it on him just in case he needed to fight his way out of conflict. "Kelly. See anything yet?" He said as he walked through the crowd, still looking through his goggles.

She practically growled as she scanned the streets, still seeing nothing. "Damn it. Nothing. Orcs have to be the hardest people to find in the city," she said with a frown, her voice still soft so she wouldn't attract attention. Just when she was about to give up her position, she noticed a woman coming out of the grocery store with the proper heat signature. "Got one!" she whispered. Coming out of a storefront on your side. Think you can get to her? Or should I tail her?" she asked, slipping her scanner into a pocket on her belt.

After a quick check to see if anyone would see her, she leaped down and landed, nimbly heading after the woman and melding in with the crowd.

"There are too many people around right now. Tail her for now until she's more secluded. We can't have people call the police otherwise things will get dicey and annoying to get away from. I'd rather not involve human conflict if I don't have to. You tail her and keep me posted. I'll watch your back...she might have friends or be leading us into a trap." Its happened before. Creatures like the orc woman knew of Nathan's organization's existence and often led the hunters into traps to kill them. "Whats she doing now?"

She fell into step with their target a good twenty feet back--just another stranger in the night. Her partner's voice buzzed in his ear and she smiled at passers by. "Mmm, still walking straight down the street. Seems to be going home, if I had to guess. Probably not far from here, unfortunately. Might need to try out a little home invasion," Kelly said softly, making sure only Nathan could hear her.

"Home invasion sounds fun. Wonder if she has anything worth stealing while we're kidnapping her." He replied as he looked at the buildings and the crowds. Still nothing but that one female orc in disguise. Once the woman arrived home, Nathan regrouped with his partner and put a hand on her shoulder. "You want to go in from the back door or should I? Should be careful. There may be other orcs in there but any female is our top priority."

Kelly rolled her eyes. "Yes, I know. We're on the same team, you know." She shook her head and watched her partner as he came back to her side, his hand on her shoulder. The redhead smirked at him and teased him just a little. "Dirty questions, though. I'm not picky, hun, but I'm a little more quiet than you in general. I'm probably a better bet for the back door."

"It was an unintentional dirty question, Kel. Though...I wouldn't mind having some fun with your backdoor after this mission." He teased through his headset. "I'm going in..." He approached the front door and listened inside...making sure they weren't directly beside the door. Soon, he kicked the door open and came in, tranquilizer gun ready to fire.

"Keep dreaming, Nate." She grinned and then stealthily slipped into the back of the house. She broke in without breaking a sweat and covered the back. She heard Nathan kick in the front door and she fired three darts as three women scrambled to the back, running and trying to get out. Each of them dropped like flies. There were men in the front, however, who sprang into attack mode as soon as the gun was trained on them. Each of them were very burly and very angry.

Two lunged at Nathan, and the third reached for a really big bat in the corner.

Nathan simply swatted the first one in the face with his stun rod, causing a loud crackling sound to fill the air before he simply moved out the way and put his leg out to trip the second orc. Once he was on the ground, Nathan put the tip of his stun rod on the back of his skull and fried the creature, stunning it nearly permanently. His attention turned to the one with the bat, and he put his stun rod up to block any attacks. If the bat was metal, it would conduct electricity toward its holder...

Back
Top Bottom