Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Emperor's Mistress ((Lady&Blair))

Blair1216

Pulsar
1255849-bigthumbnail.jpg

Ophelia sat on her bed, staring out her bedroom window through the sheer drapes. All around her, the Emperor's maids were packing her things. No one spoke to her, no one asked her permission, and no one cared about what she thought. They moved through her room and packed her things as if this was an every day occurrence- as if they were not tearing her life apart.

Sniffing, the twenty-one year old Ophelia wiped away her tears and stood from the canopied bed she was sitting on. Her room looked terribly bare...

It was only a few days ago that she learned from her older brother that the Emperor had interest in her. It seemed that his Queen was aging and no longer pleasant to be around, and he wanted a younger woman to be in his presence. This wasn't an uncommon thing, of course. There was no law against an Emperor or King flaunting his mistress around on his arm in public or in bed.

She could not believe her brother would allow this to happen. And out of all the women in Rome, why did the Emperor demand her presence? Why did she have to move from her home with her brother to the hustle and bustle of court?

1295672-bigthumbnail.jpg

Ophelia's brother, Alec, walked into the room and put his hands on his hips. At first sight, he knew his sister was angry. Honestly, he didn't blame her. She didn't know the trouble they could be in if they did not cooperate with the Emperor. Sure, they would receive a more lavish life now that his sister was on her way to the Emperor's bed, but if they didn't cooperate? Their future could be in ruins.

"Don't speak to me," Ophelia snapped, not allowing her brother to even say hello.

"I will speak if I please," Alec growled. However, he looked heartbroken. No part of Alec wanted to give his sister away to the Emperor, but this was a nice opportunity for both of them. They'd be set for life.

"We need to leave," Alec continued, "He is waiting for us, and we should not be late."

Ophelia looked up at him, narrowing her eyes, and moved past him. Once they were outside, the chariot that the Emperor had sent for them was waiting out side to take them to the palace.

tumblr_static_robert-downey-jr-moments_480x480.jpg

Valerian, the Emperor of Rome, leaned back against the piilliar he was standing in the shade of. While the palace home of the roman emperors, was starting to show ust how very old it was, the overwhelming grandeur of the palace could be intimidating,evenfor those nobles who were used to the lavish lifestyle of the roman aristocrats.

Quiet and still, the man was eager to get the girl he had been waiting on. While there were those among the romans who hated him, Valerian for the most part, was loved by his subjects. Because he wasn't roman. He was the first in the entirity of the empire, to be born away from the capital. His warriors loved him, for he was one of them. A general who'd been adopted by a failing emperor. And as long as he held the legions, he held rome. And speaking of the warriors...glancing towards the woman waiting with him he smirked, oh yes, he enjoyed being a warrior some days.

Stepping out into the sun as he saw Alec and Ophelia arriving in his chariot he moved to help Ophelia down, uncaring that his movement dragged the woman with him by the collar and chain she was wearing along after him. "Good morning Lady Ophelia."He smiled at the woman in front of him, charming, because he could be.

Prince-of-Persia.jpg

Phedré snarled quietly as she nearly stumbled to her knees as she followed after Valerian, though she refused to raise her hands and jerk at the rope, or toss her hands out to break her fall. She knew the man got a perverse pleasure out of making her stumble about, and she wouldn't give him even more pleasure by falling all the way. Getting her bearings she sank gracefully to her knees, instead of falling like Valerian intended, kneeling there as she had been trained as she listened to the others speak.

Ophelia took a deep breath as she watched the Emperor approach her. It was rare event that he approached people on such casual terms. Sure, he was a well loved man, but he was an Emperor after all. He was royalty, and he made Ophelia nervous... She glanced down at the woman who was attached to the chain, wrinkling her nose a bit. Worry rose deep within Ophelia's gut. Would that be her in a few days? Would he have her attached to a chain, greeting his new mistress after he grows tired of her?

Obediently, Ophelia bowed. "Good morning, Your Highness," she said once she was down from the chariot. Her unusual green eyes did not meet his, for she was still in denial about the situation. It was hard to believe that from now until the Emperor was sick of her, she was his property. She'd live in his palace, and she'd stay in his company when he wanted her. Sure, she would live lavishly, but the idea of being owned scared her.

Alec glared at his sister, wishing that he could slap some sense into her. Dammit, why did she have to be so stubborn? Why couldn't she make this easy on the both of them and looked the Emperor in the eye?

After bowing, Alec stood up and smiled proudly. He was a well-built man who would make a fantastic warrior or guard. There was no denying that he and his sister carried quality genes, especially since their father had been one of the late Emperor's main guards.

"Your Highness," he said, giving the man a smile, "Thank you for having us. I am honored that you have chosen my sister above all the other beautiful women you see daily."

He glanced at Phedre, his eyebrows creasing together before he looked away.

Valerian studied the woman refusing to meet his eyes, for a moment more bemused at her attitude then annoyed at it. Though the viciously quick turn of his temper was legend among his men and most of the roman empire. "I am honored that you have allowed me to have her."Valerian said, his voice amused, his lips quirked into a smile because he knew just why he was getting the girl. Not because Ophelia wanted him, or that Alec wanted to give her over, but because he was emperor. It was good to be emperor.

"Alec, this is Phedré of Macedonia, former high priestess of Artemis. I thought since I am getting a beautiful woman, I would give you my warprize. You are a loyal man. I believe in rewarding loyalty."He said smiling slightly as he nodded towards the palace."Let us go eat. I have had the servants preparing breakfast, and phedrë will be delighted with the chance to posion me again."Valerian said with a light airness that said he was goading the slave, becuse he could. He hadn't managed to break her will yet, break her down and strip her of her nature, and he had no desire to deal with her anymore. So giving her away was really a way to save his sanity, because after two months of doing everything he could to break her, and having no results was driving him insane.

Phedre bit her tongue refusing to respond to the goading, taking a deep breath as she stood gracefully and following the three inside. Though mildly disturbed that Valarien was giving her away, mostly she felt relieved. No one could be as twstedly sadistic when given the mood as Valerian could.

Nothing irritated Ophelia more than to be talked about as if she was not standing right there. Her jaw clenched in aggravation, but she followed her brother and the Emperor inside. The palace was beautiful and grand, taking her breath away despite the fact that she had been inside of it twice before. Her family was not high enough in the aristocratic ranks to be invited to social gatherings too often, but they had been graced with an invitation every once in a while. In fact, she had just been at a party that was held in the castle a couple weeks prior. That was where the Emperor had seen her for the first time as a young adult, she was sure.

Sitting at the table, she smiled as breakfast was settled in front of her. It was odd to be served and bowed to, but now that she was an official guest of the Emperor, the servants were required to do her bidding.

"Your Highness, I appreciate your gift," Alec said, looking surprised to be given the young woman. He certainly didn't think that the Emperor would give him anything, not like this. Alec was not used to being given such... lavish things. "I've never had my own slave." He quirked his eyebrow and looked across the table at Phedre. Beautiful girl, of course, but he wasn't sure what to do with her. He was far from experienced when it came to breaking female slaves.

A maid walked in, bowing to the Emperor. "Your Highness, where would you like Lady Ophelia's things?" She glanced up at him, knowing exactly what was going on. The mistress usually took a room in the palace on the Emperor's side - far away from the Queen's chambers.

Valerian sighed softly as he started to eat, tilting his head slightly. "You are welcome. Though you are truly doing me a favor in taking her away from me. I prefer her not to end up dead, she's useful to me. Left here, I will end up killing her eventually because she just can't behave."Valarien smiled looking amused at the younger man, amused at the idea of what Alec would be doing with a slave. And well, he could be generous, he was by far the most successful recent emperor on the war and conquering front, so there was always more where Phedre came from if he wanted more.

"I can behave fine my lord, just to my own culture standards and not yours."Phedre said after a moment, her voice soft and submissive, though the woman was anything but. She had been raised as a orphan in the temple of artemis,trained from a young age to be the high priestess. The fact that her country was now just a colony to rome, just made her even more fierce about keeping true to herself, keep ahold of the part that lived in her, as macedonia lost itself to roman ways.

Valerian glared across the table, looking at the girl before jerking the chain, smirking slightly as phedre sprawled across the floor at his feet before looking up at the maid as she spoke."Put them in the room across from mine. And make sure that the lady Astrid knows that she is here, and is to leave her alone."he said, a vague sadness flickering through his eyes at the mention of his wife.

He loved the woman, his social equal, the roman noblewoman he'd married within days of seeing her the first time, having fallen in love hard. The fact that at 30, 6 years his junior and old by the standard of the time, she was past the time he could have a heir from her, depressed him, Yet, he'd seen what happened to a empire when there was no heir named, the generals made war on each other until there was nothing left. He' had to rebuild his empire slowly and painfully he'd be damned if he let anyone destroy it after his death.

Phedre frowned slightly as she shifted to sit on the floor, leaning against alec's chair, but made no move to get up again. Knowing there was only so far to push valerian's temper without him getting violent, and since she was leaving witht Alec, she figured she might as well start playing nice. Well. As nice as she could make herself be

Alec smirked and began to eat his roasted chicken. "I will take her off you hands then, my lord," he said, nodding gently. He looked down at the girl, feeling a little odd about accepting a human as a gift. However, she might fill the void that his sister's absence would surely create... He raised his eyebrows as she spoke, listening to her soft, but strong voice. It was clear that she was not near as submissive in nature as she was acting at the moment.

His eyes moved to the left to look at his silent sister, whom as picking at her food like she was about to be sick. Guilt settled in the pit of his stomach, and he began to wonder if he was doing the wrong thing. The last thing he wanted was for his sister to be miserable...

"Your Highness, I have to express the fact that my sister is all I have," he said, making Ophelia look up from her plate, "While you have every right to have her and do what you please with her..." He looked up at the Emperor. "I would like to know she is well taken care of."

Ophelia bit her lip and looked back down at her plate. Her eyes were beginning to glisten with tears as her mind grasped at what was about to happen. She was going to be left here with an older man - an Emperor- that was allowed to do whatever he wanted with her. She'd be away from her brother, for the most part, and among a kingdom that loved their Queen, not her. She had no doubt that their people would turn on her the moment they realized she was the Emperor's mistress...

The maid had left to make sure everything was settled in Ophelia's new room, and that they Queen had not intentions of coming near the Emperor's new prize. Everyone knew about his great temper, and his Queen was no exception.

Valerian's eyes iced over as he looked over at the man, his pride taking the hit at Alec's words. As if he'd mistreat someone.Well...slaves and prisoners of war weren't the same. Ophelia was to be his mistress, the mother of his heir, of course he was going to take care of her. "Se will be as well taken care of as any in the empire, lord alec."Valerian said though the chill in his voice said he wasn't pleased at having to voice the words. Not because he had any intention mistreating Ophelia, but because someone had dared demand something of him.

Finishing his food he looked at Ophelia, standing slowly. "Lady Ophelia, would you excuse me?I have a few things to attend to this morning, and I am sure you want a chance to say goodbye to your brother before he sees himself out."He said waiting for a answer before walking out, tilting his head slightly. Pausing at the door to his wife's chambers before walking in, looking at the darkly colored woman,"Astrid, do you want me to open the summer house for you?"He asked gently as he walked into the room, his eyes softening as they rarely did for anyone but his wife. If anyone new him the waay to get the man to do anything, is convince Astrid to get him to do it. The nobles of rome had long ago realized that the way to manipulate their emperor, was through his wife. And he wanted her to be happy.

~~

Phedre was quiet as she listened to brother and sister talk, before sighing softly. "He'll take care of her you know. She's roman.It would been seen as...unseemingly for him, espicially since he is not roman by birth, to mistreat her."She said after a moment twisting her head to look up at Alec, realizing he was worried about his sister, and while she didn't know what it was like to have a family like that, she wanted to ease the worry she could see on his face.

Alec bowed his head at the Emperor's icy state, knowing that he had probably stepped over the line. However, he had to let the man know exactly how much his sister meant to him. This was not just some slave girl or mistress to fuck... This was the girl he helped raise after their parents had died.

When the Emperor left the room, Alec stood up and went around the table. He took his sister into his arms, despite the fact that she was thrashing and beating at his chest. "Ophelia! Please! You will be in good hands," he pleaded, holding her close to his chest. His jaw was clenched in an effort to not show his emotions, and his voice was low so that the Emperor would not here. "You will be taken care of, I swear, and I will come see you when ever I'm permitted."

Ophelia tried her best to get out his grip. "Leave me alone! You are throwing me to the wolves for your own benefit, and you know it! Father would have never wanted this for me!" she screamed, knocking a plate to the floor as she thrashed around in his arms. It was clear that she hurt, even if she knew he was speaking the truth.

When Phedre spoke, Alec looked at her with irritation. He was not angry at her for speaking, but frustrated at the situation. "Do you think I don't know that? Do you think I'd let him have her if I thought otherwise?" he growled, even if he knew it was ridiculous. He would not have had a choice either way.

As a maid walked in, Alec stood up and grabbed Phedre's chain. "We will be leaving now," he said, waiting for the maid to go get the chariot. Before leaving the room, he leant down to kiss his sister's head. "I love you, and you know that."

Ophelia sank in her chair and put her face in her hands, listening to her brother's footsteps as he left her.

~~

Astrid looked up from her chair, looking regal, but not as healthy as she did a couple years ago. After five miscarriages and one still born, the woman had been worn bare. There was very little for her to smile about any more. She was unable to give Valerian an heir, her kingdom was slipping through her fingers, and her husband was now taking on a roman mistress...

"Why, Valerian?" she said, her voice soft and emotionless. "So you won't feel as guilty while you are in your mistress' bed tonight?" She glanced up at him, then looked back out the window. It was clear that she was past being upset, for she was much too tired to be angry at the moment. "Poor, young, stupid little girl... She has no idea what she is getting herself in to, does she?" She shook her head. "Send me to the summer house if you'd like, but I'd like my ladies in waiting to join me."

Phedre glared back, looking annoyed but aware enough of her position not to growl back at him."I think you had no choice, where Valerian of Rome is concerned."She mused shifting, wincing a little as he stood feeling the chain grow tight as she followed alec out of the room. Pausing to look up at the sky as they moved to the charriot, looking slightly nervous. IT wasn't a normal transport, and horses made her uncomfortable. Even more uncomfortable then she was with this man. At least Valerian she was aware of what to expect. He might be a brilliant warrior, but he was simple in his wants with the women around him.

Swallowing as she glanced at Alec as the charriot moved down the street."W-what shall I be doing for you my lord?lord Valerian made sure I was well trained."She muttered looking nervous.

~~

Valerian sighed quietly as he wtched her, his eyes icing over for a moment as he paused in the doorway. He loved her, loved her so much that he hated them both, himself and her, for having to make this choice. But there were few options left to him, and he hated that he had reduced his wife to the shell of a woman she had been.

"No, because I thought you would like the distance."Valerian said tilting his head as he moved to stand behind her, hesitating for a moment before leaning down to kiss her head, "Hm ,and whatever is she getting into, my star?"He muttered, because her name in latin meant star, so it was what he called her, his star, the one who had shone the brightest in the skies. And trying not to think about her words, because he wasn't feeling guilty. Nope, he wasn't."I will only send you away if you do not wish to stay."

Alec settled in the chariot, sitting across from her. He looked out at the palace and shook his head. "I have yet to decide," he said, "Right now, all I want you to do is keep your mouth shut, is that clear?" He shifted in his seat, obviously upset about the condition he had to leave his sister in. She must hate him, and it hurt to know that they might not see each other for a good while. "For now, you will deal with my domestic needs - cooking and cleaning. Can you do either of those?" He looked her over and raised his eyebrows.

Astrid shifted away from him, continuing to stare out the window. In the corner, a crib sat with dust and cob webs covering it. She had received it as a gift nearly twelve years ago when her and Valerian had wed. It was an easy assumption that they would have a baby within the year, but time proved that theory wrong. "Send me away," she said, "I'll leave tonight. For now. I have no interest in hearing your mistress' moans and groans from across the palace." She stood, and it was clear she was much thinner that she used to be. "What is she getting herself in to?" she asked, raising her eyebrows in surprise, "She's getting involved with you, isn't she? You... You've left me with nothing but heartbreak and a crown that I will lucky to be buried with. She will be lucky if she gets that much."

Her words were harsh, but the woman was worn down and no longer feeling like herself. She loved her husband, but her life had become nothing but disappointment since the first time they lost a pregnancy. Each lost child had taken a deeper toll on Astrid with time.

Phedre raised a eyebrow at his words, tilting her head slightly. "You told me to keep my mouth shut."She pointed out after a few moments of silence after his question, deciding that it was probably not a good idea to poke fun at him,but she couldn't help it!She was incapable of shutting her mouth,even if it would be for the best. Nodding slightly,"I can. Though there are other domestic needs then that."She said thoughtfully her eyebrows raising more as she watched him, wondering if he would understand what she meant. After all, she was a slave. Most slaves were used to being used for sex no matter how lowly their masters thought them to be, there were still well used.

Valerian glanced at the crib, sighing softly."You once thought getting involved with me was the best thing anyone could do."He said his temper starting to step away from her. Guilt ate him alive every time he yelled at her, and with each pregenancy and each disappointed look she gave him, the more cagey he got. "I will see that your things are gathered."He said before leaving the room, making his way back to the dining room he paused at the sight of ophelia.

"Whatever do you look unhappy about?"he growled, anger threading his voice. He so did not need another disappointed woman to deal with. He brought ophelia here to please him, not herself. What she thought mattered nothing to him. At least as long as she was happy, and most of all, silent on whatever was bothering her if something was.

Alec glared at her. "Those are the only domestic needs I want from you as of now," he snapped, "I'm only bringing you home because you were a gift from the Emperor, got it? I'm in no mood for your mouth, nor whatever sexual favors you are trained to give. Right now, I want your silence. When we get home, I want dinner and a bath drawn. You will take my sister's bedroom tonight." He reached up and rubbed a hand over his face, watching as the palace disappeared. He was not sure how he would handle things if the Emperor abused his sister. Well, he couldn't do anything... And that killed him inside.

As Valerian stormed into the room, Ophelia jumped and quickly wiped away her tears. She shook her head before standing and bowing to him. "Nothing, Your Highness," she said, her voice shakey, "I have nothing to be upset about." She sniffed and kept her head down, knowing better than to disrespect him. Wherever he went, it had obviously put him on edge.

When she looked up at him, her green eyes met his for the first time. The were red-rimmed with dried tears. "I-I am honored to have been brought here upon your request, my lord."

Phedre smiled a little at his angry words, tilting her head even as she cringed slightly. Not wanting to get hurt for him being upset. Hoping that he wasn't like valerian, and abusive. "I can do that my lord. A bath when you get home."She muttered thoughtfully before following him into the house when they arrived, looking around for a moment before setting about getting a bath drawn for him. And after awhile, and her silent cursing as she used the buckets to fill the nice tub with warm water she set about cooking. Cursing to herself as she burned her fingers and burned the food a little. After awhile she put it on the tray and moved to the bathroom,holding it."Do you want your food now my lord, or when you are done?"She asked.

Valerian frowned slightly at her looking her over. "Good. I would not want you to want for anything while you are staying here."He said before looking startled as she met his eyes, tilting his head slightly. As if shocked that she had indeed met his eyes, and he was. She'd struck him as a woman not brave to push the boundaries of what he thought of her. "You should be."He said at her words giving her a tight smile."Would you like to see your rooms now, or take a tour of where you will be allowed to go?"

Alec went about bathing and soaking in the warm water. He loved his baths, for the bathroom was set up with mostly windows. It was easy to take a bath and watch the sunset at the same time - a relaxing combination... When she came in, he looked up at her. He was not shy about his body, but he was a little startled that she simply walked in on him the way she did. "I'd prefer my dinner at a table," he said, looking at her with confusion. "However, you may set it down in the bedroom and grab me a towel to dry with.

Standing, he had no shame in showing off his naked body to the woman he had just brought home. He had spent far too many nights in training as a warrior, bathing in a river with other men, to feel nervous about his body. Not that he had anything to be nervous about. The man was not only handsome, but extremely physically fit and toned.

~~

Ophelia stood up and clasped her hands together in front of her. "I... suppose I'd like a tour, my lord," she said, looking a little nervous. As much as she liked the idea of going to her bedroom, she was nervous about what they might be doing there. She knew that sex was inevitable, but she was nervous about it. After all, she was a virgin and completely untouched by any other man. She had never even been kissed properly.

It really was wise of her brother to not tell her that the Emperor planned to have her give birth to an heir. It was better that she not know until the Emperor chose to tell her. Other wise, she probably would have thrown herself out of the chariot.

Phedre winced paling slightly. "Sorry."She muttered moving to the bedroom and setting the tray down before returning, looking slightly shaken. After dealing with valerian and his demands, she was afraid of messing up, and worried about how he'd respond to her mistake. Grabbing a towel she flushed slightly as he looked away from him. Trying very hard not to stare at the man in front of her."My lord, here."She muttered as she held out the towel towards him.

~~

Valerian nodded slightly studying her, a small smirk on his face. As if he was aware of why she didn't want to go to the bedroom. Slipping a arm through hers he looked amused as he led her through through the halls."You will have free run of the house, and you may ask the servants to get you things. But you will stay out of the queen's side of the house."He said looking her over as they walked.

Alec took the towel and stepped out of the tub and wrapped it around himself. Water dripped down his chest, and his dark hair was slicked back. He wondered exactly where the strong and feisty girl he had met at dinner went, because she was wincing at every word he said. Damn. He didn't need this. He already felt guilty about practically selling his sister the Emperor with the hopes of getting a promotion, and now he had a slave to take care of. All he really wanted to do at the moment was drink and not think about what had happened earlier today.

After wrapping a simple toga-like outfit on, Alec moved to the table and raised his eyes at the food. "The Emperor did not train you in cooking much, did he?" he asked, but went about eating the slightly burned fish. It wasn't too bad. She'd get the hang of it. "Your room is across the hall from mine. Go bathe in the water I left in the tub and slip into something clean. There should be a few clothes left in Ophelia's chest." He clenched his jaw a bit, hating that she was going to be wearing his sister's clothes. However, Ophelia didn't bring much with her. It would have been an insult, after all, because he was sure the Emperor would be getting her new clothing that he approved.

~

Ophelia walked with him, her hand resting on his bicep. With his arm looped within her's, she could tell how physically strong he was. That made her a little more nervous than before, for she knew he'd be able to control her easily. "Of course, my lord," she said, nodding to his request. As the walked through the golden halls of the palace, she noticed that the passing servants and guards gave her irritated looks. It seemed that no one was particularly happy with the idea of the emperor taking a young mistress, even if that meant getting an heir to the throne. They may not like it, but they understood.

Once they neared a room where they were alone, she glanced up at him and offered him a smile. However, the smile did not quite reach her bright green eyes. "My lord, if I may be so bold to ask, why is it that you wanted me here?" she asked, then blushed. Her tan skin turned a bright shade of pink. "Excuse me. I meant, why did you choose me of all people? I am nothing but a daughter of guard in your late father's army. Nothing more." She glanced up at him, smart enough to know how to use reverse psychology. She thought that if she made him second guess his decision, he might send her home and select an aristocrat's daughter. What she didn't realize, was that there were very few daughters of aristocrats that were her age, and the ones that were available for his choosing were not nearly as attractive. Not only that, but her father was a much more prominent person in court that she had been told. He may have only been a general, but he was well-liked by royalty, especially Valerian's late mother.

phedre frowned slightly as she let him wrap up in the towel, looking thoughtful and quiet. Being submissive, or at least as much as she could, as she tried to figure out how he would be treating her. Anger flashing through her eyes as she looked up at him,"No, he thought there were other uses for a beautiful woman in his home."She said her voice even, but there was the edge there that said she was definately not pleased with the words. She'd tried her best, she really had.

Glancing back towards the bathroom she looked displeased at the idea,"Thank you my lord. I am sure the water is still good."She said her voice polite, but definately not pleased with the idea of having to share bath water with her. She just knew that this wasn't going ot work. Getting bathed and cleaned she dressed before moving back, standing in the doorway. "Is there anything you would like more from me tonight?"

~~

Valerian smiled slightly sadly as she agreed, knowing that it was what anyone would say. He was so used that everyone agreed with him, it made him vaguely sad that no one would fight with him anymore. Glancing down at her he smirked slightly, "You know I was a general right?Before my father recalled me from home. I served with your father. If for no other reason then that, I would have respected and honored my mother's request to see that you were well taken care of."he said thinking her father, who had been a favorite of his mother's, who had asked that her son look after the man's children after he past. That she was beautiful and perfect for what he needed, well that worked even more in his favor.

"And you are beautiful.And young.Everything I would like in a mistress that all of rome would know about. It would do none of us good if I followed my father's example and bedded only servants and expected all of the nobles to bow in respect."his lip curled a little at the thought of his father. He had loved the man, but hated him as a ruler. He'd left Valerian's kingdom in a mess, and it had taken him years to get everything in orderagain

"Do I look like the emperor?" Alec snapped, glancing up at the women. He rolled his eyes and watched her leave before finishing up the dinner she had made. It was odd to be living with anyone but his sister. After all, his father had money, but not enough to leave his children with servants. They were lucky to keep the house that they were raised in...

When she came back in clean clothes, he looked her over again. She was a pretty girl - much prettier now clean. He tilted his head, realizing that she probably needed to eat as well. "No, I need nothing more," he said, the nodded his head to the kitchen. "Fix yourself something to eat, then put yourself to bed." He stood from the table and rubbed his temples in frustration. It was enough that he had to deal with all of this guilt, now he had to take care of another human being. "We will discuss your... other uses around the house in the morning. For now, I want left alone. Understood?" He glanced out the window and the setting sun, then back at her. "And if I were you, I wouldn't try to escape. I can assure you that I am faster, stronger, and more brutal that you think I am."

~~

Ophelia looked up at him, slightly startled by his answer. Her green eyes went wide for a moment. "You knew my father?" she asked, and her voice held more emotion than before. When she had first come to the palace, her voice was even and polite. She sounded like any girl would in the presence of Valerian. Now she sounded curious, showing him that she indeed had a personality beyond the sad, yet polite demeanor she displayed. "My father... He passed when I was an infant. I remember nothing about him," she said, then looked away from him, "I was told he was charming."

She bit the inside of her cheek, trying not to think about the fact that she never truly met her father. Her mother, of course, passed only five years later. Her brother had been raising her ever since and was the only family member she had memory of... She wondered, however, if she could get the emperor to tell her things about her father eventually. She even wondered if he remembered when she was born - if the emperor knew what her father had thought about his daughter before he passed.

"A-all of Rome?" Ophelia asked, her voice shaking a little. The idea of Rome knowing that she was bedding the emperor scared her. She had heard stories about mistresses of emperors, and it was never pretty. Most people resented them for making the king step away from their beloved queen, and others envied them because of their high social status and lavish living arrangement. Everyone thought the mistress was a whore... She was used, then thrown away.

Of course, Ophelia still was not aware that she was not an ordinary mistress. She would, hopefully, but the mother of the next emperor of Rome.

"No. You are neither old, nor polite enough to be lord Valerian."Phedre snapped back before she thought better of. When she returned she looked pleased at the idea of food before nodding."Thank you."She said after a moment bowing her head slightly before nodding. "I would never dream of escaping. Not anymore."She said shuddering a littl eas she left the room, the fact that she had tried to escape a man even more brutal and twisted obvious. Of course she'd tried to escape valerian's attention. Settling into the bed she fell into a restless sleep.

~~

"I did. I was a child. Well, almost. Hlet a untried child prodigy at warfare, lead his men into battle, becaue he trusted that I could do it. For no other reason, I would have fallen him into hell for that."His eyes dark and pained for a moment, for he had respected her father more then he could ever respect his own. "He was charming. Much more charming then I could ever dream of. And unwilling to ask his men to do anything he would not."

Valerian laughed quietly at her response, "Did you think you would be able to live in isolated splendor, orphelia?My wife is leaving for the country, tired of my company. Everyone will know that I am not seeking to bring her back and everyone will know why."he pointed out though his voice softened slightly at the mention of his wife. Despite how fierce and unbendable his voice and face was, it was obvious he ared for his wife.

The next morning, Alec woke up early to go run around the property that surrounded the house. He was serious about his exercise, for he wanted the emperor to respect him enough one day to see that he could lead men in battle. He wanted desperately to get some sort of promotion and live up to the man his father had been... When he made it back around to the house, he came inside with sweat dripping down his bare chest. He was panting, headed toward the washroom to clean up.

"Phedre!" he called, stripping down so that he could run a cold, wet towel over his sweaty body, "Get breakfast ready. I will explain your duties as I eat."

~~

Ophelia blushed a bit and looked down as they continued to walk. "I... I just wasn't completely aware of the arrangement," she said, then glanced up at him to make sure she had not offended him. "I'm honored to be here, my lord. I am only saying that my brother did not tell me everything about the situation. I am sure it was to keep from saying anything you would rather tell me yourself." She smiled at him, hoping she had not upset him by her previous reaction. "It comforts me to know that you thought so highly of my father," she said, "I know my brother Alec worries about living up to his reputation."

All of the sudden, a maid came around the corner and bowed to the emperor. "Your Highness," she said, then stood back up, "I have come to tell you that the physician you requested as arrived." She glanced over at Ophelia, then back at the emperor. The physician, of course, was there to check and make sure that Ophelia was healthy for child-bearing and indeed a virgin.

"Yes, Lord Alec."Phedre called from the kitchen where she had already started breakfast. Having started to prepare it wen she realized he was up and about. And after a night of restless sleep, being able to focus on something as mind numbing as cooking had been nice. Settling the food plates on the table before she walked into the washroom after a soft knock. A quick apperciative look flickered over his body, she wasn't blind, she apperciated a good looking male as much as the next person. "Breakfast is ready."She announced smiling slightly.

~~

Valerian smirked looking amused. No matter how many times it happened, he did find her uncomfortable thought of being his mistress vaguely amusing. If only because he knew he was beautiful and virle, and the man everyone wanted. So he wasn't as offended as one would expect. "I think any man who's ever served in the legions, would be worried about living up to his reputation."He said thoughtfully."All men desire to surpass their fathers, it is Alec's bad luck to have yours, instead of mine."

Looking anoyed at the interruption but nodding anyways he sighed quietly."Thank you. WE shall be going to Ophelia's rooms. Bring the physician there."he said dismissing the maid as he led Opelia back towards the rooms that had been given to her

Alec turned and slid a white robe over his body, nodding over to her. He was impressed that she had already started breakfast, and it smelled decent enough. "Very well," he said, moving into the kitchen. He sat at the head of the table and nodded to the other chair. "Sit and eat." Picking up his fork, he stabbed at his eggs and watched the yolk run a bit. Just the way he liked it. "Today, I need to run to the market," he said after a moment, "You are to stay here and get things cleaned up. I'll be back by dark, and I would like dinner to be ready and for a bath to be drawn. If you can manage that, then I will let you have dinner as well." His eyes glanced up to look at the girl in front of him, raising his eyebrow.

~~

A chill ran up Ophelia's spine as she was led to her room. It was an amazingly grand room - more beautiful than she could ever imagine - with gold and burgundy bedding, marble floors, and beautifully crafted furniture. "My lord, the room is gorgeous," she said, and she definitely meant it, "You have already managed to spoil me." She gave him a smile, even if there was fear in her eyes at what was to come.

The maid returned with the physician. He was an elderly man who bowed to the emperor and gave him a smile. "My lord, it is nice to be in your presence once again," he said, then looked Ophelia over. "If this is the girl you are wanting examined, I assume you want to get this done rather quickly." He chuckled darkly and motioned for the maid to help Ophelia lay back on the bed. The door was locked and Ophelia's skirt was lifted up to her waist. As the maid forced her thighs apart, it was clear that they were shaking.

The doctor's fingers penetrated her tight, virginal opening, and she let out a yelp. She felt humiliated, keeping her eyes on the ceiling and willing herself not to cry... For several moments, the doctor went about examining her nether regions.

"She's indeed a virgin, my lord, and healthy," he said, standing up and allowing Ophelia to push her skirt down.

The maid bowed to the emperor. "My lord, I will go get Lady Ophelia groomed and ready for you. After dinner, would you like her waiting for you in your chambers, or in her's?"

The maid's words made Ophelia even more nervous, and it took a lot of effort to not look as scared as she was.

Phedre looked startled a little at being invited to eat. Valerian had only ever invied her to eat with him in order to humiliate her even more. Sitting down she started to eat smiling slightly at his words. "That is easily done. I will be able to do that."She said looking thoughtful at the idea of being left in the house by herself. She knew he didn't have any other servants or slaves, so being left in the home with the chance to run was interesting. Not that she' do it, but it was still interesting.

~~

Valerian nodde slightly, pleased with her reaction to the room."Of course it is gorgerous. As if I'd house my mistress in a ugly room."he said wrinkling his nose a little before moving to look out the window as the physican examined her. "And yours, physican."Valerian said over his shoulder in response to the phyiscan's words watching the crowds, not caring if ophelia was upset or not. She was there for his needs, his whims, so he had no reason to be upset at how she was treated. It was a common exam, so it wasn't something to be upset about.

Nodding a little at the physican's words he dismissed the doctor."Thank you. The servant will see that your paid."He said before looking at the maid, a small frown on his face. "Mine. And I will not be joining her for dinner. Make sure she is well fed."he said turning to llook at ophelia, tilting his head."I will see you after dinner. IF you need anything, send a servant to find me."He said dismissing her presence from his mind as easily as he had the phyiscan, before leaving the room. Heading down to Astrid's dining room he smiled slightly, stepping in and sitting down at the table. "If you do not mind, I will be joining you for dinner before you leave."He said smiling slightly,sadly at his wife.

Alec nodded, looking pleased at the idea of having a clean house and dinner to look forward to when he got him from a long day in down. "I am also expecting a message from the Emperor some time this week. It could be sent as early as today, so make sure to be looking for the royal messenger," he said, then went back to finishing breakfast. He was hoping that the emperor would invite him back to the palace in order to check in on his sister. Not to mention, he still hoped for the promotion to general... After dressing in a casual, ivory toga, Alec strapped a bag across his chest and headed for the door. His jet black horse, Flynn, was already outside waiting for him. "There should be a duck in the ice bin out back that will be fresh for roasting, and I will be back with a loaf of bread to bake, okay?"

~~

Ophelia looked up at him, noticing that he seemed emotional distant from her before he even reached the door. "Yes, my lord," she said, feeling slightly relieved at the idea of having some time away from him. It would allow her to soak in the situation... Once he left, the maid ushered her to the gold and marble bathroom for a very thorough bathing. Every inch of her body, aside from her long black hair and eyebrows, was shaved smooth and massaged with an expensive rose oil. Her hair was let loose, decorated with a gold and ruby head band [like in picture above] and her eyes were fixed with cat-eyed eyeliner that was becoming all the rage. The maid went about dusting her skin with a gold, shimmer-y powder, making her glow beautifully.

Oddly enough, Ophelia's hardened nipples were dipped into a liquid gold, and her inner thigh was painfully branded with a small letter "V"... Once the gold had dried, she was dressed in a sheer purple toga that was draped around her body, but hid nothing. And her arms were decorated in gold bracelets that were worth more than her entire wardrobe back home.

Once she was allowed to see herself, Ophelia grew incredibly nervous. She had to admit, she looked sexy, and she was probably dressed to any Roman Emperor's liking... However, she felt like a play thing. It made her wonder if being a mistress was going to be more like being a glorified sex slave with perks.

~~

Astrid sat on the other side of the table, looking down at the roasted chicken in front of her. "Valerian, you would stay even if I did mind," she said, then nodded to the maid as glass of red wine was settled in front of her. Judging by the alcohol, it seemed that Queen had no hopes for being pregnant any longer. She had dropped all precautions that the doctor had ordered for conceiving... It no longer mattered. Astrid had given up on herself just as much as her husband had.

"I assume that this new play thing that you have sent for will be coming into the light once I am shoved into the dark," she said, taking a sip of her wine. Her dark eyes set on her husband, and behind the irritation was sadness. "I hope she is pretty, my lord. I hope she is pretty, charming, and strong. She will need the beauty and charm to even think about winning over the public, which is very unlikely, and she will need the strength to deal with the backlash that she will most definitely receive." She set her glass down and had the maid fill it up once more. "I will not be gone for good. I have no plans to be banished from a kingdom that is just as much mine as it is your's. I am not some whore that you decided to wed and make a Queen. Remember, dear Valerian, I was once a princess of my own country before marrying you. You may have power over me, but you cannot ignore me. The only way you will get rid of me is if my health continues to decline."

Back
Top Bottom