Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Learning from a master (Cheshire x Tema)

And so Serefina made her entrance.

"Yes, it is an omen. An omen of what cooperation can lead to." Yes, Vallios was banished, but there was something to be said for even a banished tribesman to be willing to associate with one of the Great Houses. Serefina managed to look graceful and elegant, no matter what her morning had been like. In fact, she looked more regal and unapproachable than ever.

"However, what I see here today is not cooperation. What I see is chaos. Will someone please tell me why this is so?" One perfect brow arched questioningly at the gathered masses that represented the great houses.

"Lady Beatrix promised to back our mercantile price lifts!" one member of a house called out finally.

"Lady Beatrix promised to back our refusal of those same price lifts." It seemed her aunt had been a busy person. Serefina glanced around. Her aunt was nowhere to be found. Somehow, she was not surprised. She stiffened her back, although only Vallios and Anastazi would be able to tell that she wasn't quite the ice princess people saw.

"Well, Lady Beatrix is not Ruling Mother of House Ahn'kir. I am. Weapon Master Vallios has confirmed me this very morning. House Ahn'kir will support neither the civil dispute of the price lifts, or the price lifts themselves. This is a matter that should be decided between the two houses and should not even concern us. The fact that you sought to bring in military effort without due consideration and before the lifts had even gone into effect make me think that you know your actions were less than honest."

There were several more cries, but these were of surprise rather than protest. When a military matter was decided by House Ahn'kir, it was decided. Even if the Ruling Mother was a child as of yet inexperienced.

To re-affirm their union, Vallios reached out and pulled Serefina into his arms, standing above and around her like a loyal guard dog. Anybody who doubted the validity of Serefina's words would find believing her much easier when Vallios' muscle was behind her. It was well known that the one thing the Ruling Mother could not due was put the Ahn'kir military into force, that was the call of the Weapons Master. And so, the silent agreement Vallios' actions showed truly served to reinforce Serefina's point. To those unfamiliar with the new ruling couple, it'd seem as if they were in as perfect sync as their forerunners. Of course, this was the illusion they'd have to give off to avoid inviting the first war that House Ahn'kir would be on the defending end of in over three hundred years.

With a wary eye Vallios watched the gathered diplomats, prepared to strike down any who decided to make any foolish moves out of desperation. Few people outside of House Ahn'kir had ever seen a Weapons Master fight, and so it was possible that a guard, or overly cocky champion might just decide to make an open challenge to the new Weapons Master.

She was grateful for the visible show of support from Vallios. It would also be he and he alone who would notice how very fragile she was at the moment. Despite her bravado, she trembled ever so slightly in his grasp. This had been one hell of a day for the girl who still hadn't been allowed to grieve.

"Have you taken her to couple yet? If not, she is not Ruling Mother yet? And what of Beatrix? She will not hand over her position so lightly." the questions came fast and furiously. But they were not directing their questions at Vallios, but at Serefina. For they knew he'd been chosen by the previous Weapon Master. But they were convinced that Serefina had only been chosen due to being the last unwed daughter. "I'll bet she's all bones and muscle in bed. No good at all for bearing children." Another comment that hit at one of Serefina's insecurities. But she let them come.

"He's a Northern Tribesman. How can we know that he's to be trusted?" Another distant voice called out, and it was one that Serefina would not let pass by.

"Vallios, the Weapon Master of House Ahn'kir is my chosen consort, and I his. I hold him in no less esteem than my own father as Weapon Master, I am his voice, and he my fist. House Ahn'kir is united. Let any who bear arguement to this truth bear witness. We shall couple at the Solstice." A date that was less than a few days away, and Serefina tried not to let it show how distasteful the idea of sex was at this point, but it would be hard to hide from one who knew her well, and another to whom her body was pressed. "And for the public coupling, it will be on the Spring's Natal Day." She had no choice in the matter. She knew the rights and rules. This was how it was done.

"As for my aunt, as of my coupling with the Weapon Master, she will no longer be Ruling Mother." That meant they had a few days that they had to watch out for attempted assissinations as well from her aunt before they'd get some time to breath. At this point though, Serefina decided to let Vallios say anything if he so chose.

"Seven generations ago my people signed a treaty in blood stating that we would not bring an army past the Dagger Peaks again. Through famine, war, and the most frigid of winters we have kept that agreement. Would your people uphold such an agreement, even if it meant the possibility of fading forever from this world? I think my kin have proven themselves trustworthy. And, again house Ahn'kir, who has always been the first line of defense should the Sons of the North ever attack is once again protected by a Bere'nohl."

It had been over three hundred years since the last conflict between the Ruling Houses and the Twelve Tribes. At that time, the tribes had been one, a united people. And, with that union they had assaulted Everend, entrenching the city in a war that lasted twenty years. But, in the spring of the twentieth year of constant conflict, the only daughter of House Ahn'kir had rode out alone to meet the tribes in a request for parlay. At that time, the tribes had been lead by the fierce Bere'nohl, those famed for riding on, and fighting beside the massive arctic bears. So impressed by her courage and conviction, the eldest son of the Bere'nohl stepped forward and called for peace, on the condition that he was given her hand.

The terms of peace had been accepted, and Bjarn, son of Kayr came to the city to take on the role of Weapons Master, to give solidity to the treaty. The courage of house Ahn'kir had been rewarded, and the army that had came to take the city departed, the treaty to stand for as long as house Ahn'kir stood. It certainly was an omen if one of Bere'nohl lineage was within the city again.

However, Vallios did not have any blood relation with the previous Bere'nohl Weapons Master. That fact, did not matter as blood relations only mattered when dealing with family. Tribal ties far outstretched something like blood, something that could not be changed.

If Serefina began to weaken, she'd find that Vallios' hold became more supportive. The comment on her figure was something Vallios felt he had to respond to. After a second Vallios spoke again, tangible conviction in his voice. It was rather obvious he would not allow any attacks at his consort's honor or image.

"Flowers are not the only pretty thing in this world. Would you say that a lioness is ill-equipped to bear children? That a she-wolf cannot give life? If you would, you are a fool."

The fact that he brought up the treaty impressed Serefina greatly. Truly there were depths to Vallios that yesterday she would not have thought possible. Had everything truly happened in one day? She managed to look the very picture of calm while everyone clamored around her. She'd known the facts, but not the truth of how reliant this entire system was on her House, and in effect, would be on her. At that moment, she could have kissed Vallios for simply existing as Weapon Master. Now she was the one who had to live up to her promises. Such as the coupling at the Solstice, which was in only a few days. Yet, she couldn't even kiss Vallios without getting into an argument shortly after. All of this mental turmoil continued while the arguments flew around.

It all even got a blush out of her at his last comment. Yes, flowers weren't the only pretty thing in the world. But there was just a tiny part of her that wished that the lioness had been considered regal and magnificent or the She-wolf beautiful. But she'd take what she was given. He, at least publicly, did not consider her ill fit to be a mother.

As for the crowd of representatives, they had quieted down for the most part. Mostly, they were observing the couple's body language. "Fine, but what do we do about this trade embargo?" Asking the militant house if they had any ideas on the matter. "What about half of the raise you were planning in exchange, more of the material will have to come from guild sources." It was a simple matter, but now that Serefina had established rule over her house instead of the bickering and bribery that Beatrix had encouraged, they were far more willing to talk it out.

"We need to deal with Beatrix now...", she whispered to Vallios while they went back to their 'governing'. Serefina didn't need to be here for this. She was only really called in for the dispute resolution, since her House could back her choice up.

The entire time all of the drama was going on, Stazi stayed back as was his position, and watched. Watched the Council, watched Vallios, and most of all, watched Serefina. How so subtly she relied on the new Weapon Master's strength. He knew that this morning had rocked her, but it was rather frustrating to see how it had drawn together the two instead of shifting him apart. Also, his primary ally in House Ahn'kir was now not in a position of power. Or at least shortly wouldn't be. But it was not his job to warn her, one of her other spies in the room would do that. Ah well, there were other ways to get what he wanted. Wait until the warrior tried to couple her, that could only be a disaster in waiting with all of her physical trust issues. But as always, none of this showed. He was a SpyMaster for a reason.

"An embargo is not Ahn'kir's matter. Work it out between yourselves, Ahn'kir has other matters to deal with."

What Vallios hadn't said, was that he saw the lioness as regal and magnificent, and the She-wolf beautiful in her own unique way. Vallios waited for Serefina to lead the way out, as was proper. Vallios was to remain silent at her side, the Weapons Master was meant to be a man of few words. Such a disposition also had a tendency to put a great weight behind any statement he made, definitely reinforcing the considerable power behind his position. As for dealing with Beatrix...That was all Serefina's bag. He'd just...well, whatever plan she had he'd help execute.

Deep down, Vallios was confident that Serefina had the strength to go through with the agenda she'd set forth. He reached down and gave her hand a firm squeeze, letting her know that he was ready for whatever she had planned. Yet again Vallios realized just how thoroughly they had their work cut out for them. Tenacity and trust, two things they'd need plenty of to make it through this chaotic time.

As for Anastazi...Vallios still felt somewhat uneasy around the man. But perhaps that was just standard dominant male possessiveness. it was hard to deny that Vallios felt the attachment to Serefina grow as the truth of his duty dawned on him. The path their relationship developed on would definitely be a strange, strange one...Though it was possible.

Serefina was beginning to feel like she was at the end of her rope. How much more she could take before breaking she wasn’t sure, but it wasn’t as if she had much of a choice. She was growing more and more thankful for Vallios’ presence. Steeling her spine, she led the way out of the door. Anastazi, of course, was witnessed to this.

“Do you need me, ‘Fina?”

He was the very picture of consolation at this point as he approached the new Ruling Mother and her soon to be consort; the perfect friendly fop. But it was a weary and almost defeated Serefina who looked up at her oldest friend. “No, House Ahn’kir needs you here, Anastazi.” Laying a gentle hand upon her arm, ‘Stazi leaned forward, pressing a soft kiss to the corner of Serefina’s lips, a little closer to the lips than a proper kiss cheek between friends.

“As my lady commands.” And with her weak smile, he bowed and left them without another word. Out of sight, but he knew not out of mind. He was her nearest and dearest, after all.

Now there was only Beatrix to deal with, and while Serefina was grateful to the woman for having helped raise her, the fact was she’d used her parents death to her own advantage, but was not fully capable of using it effectively and efficiently and in the interest of the house, and not just herself. Pale shoulders stiffened resolutely as they passed two of the guards at the entrance to her House. She had the Weapon Master with her; she was in the right as far as the House was concerned.

Once they reached the Courtyard however, it became very clear, it was in pure chaos. Even Serefina took a step backwards, her back pressing into Vallios’ chest, her alarm bells ringing inside her head. Something was not right.

“Weapon Master! Thank the goddess!” of course, House Ahn’kir was one of the few houses that openly worshipped the goddess as well despite the lost connectivity to nature that was part of being of the Great Houses. “Lady Beatrix has decided that she will go on tour of House Ahn’kir properties, and attempted to take a small force with her. Most of the men refused to go without your order, but…” the solder began to just say what needed to say without saying it.

“She took House Ahn’kir’s heirlooms with her, for their protection. Her personal guard is loyal to her, and would not let any of us retrieve it, and we weren’t sure what to do.”

“Mother’s jewelry and the house regalia?” Serefina sounded even fainter at the news. She was not much of a jewelry wearer herself, but it was the fact that it was her mother’s pieces, as well as it was also the signs of power over House Ahn’kir that distressed her. She could do anything she wished with the House’s name.

“And where is Lady Beatrix?” she’d kill the woman herself if she had so much as got rid of or destroyed a single one of her mother’s treasures.

“Already left, my Lady. We have no acting Ruling Mother. The troops are in a state of confusion but most of them are loyal to you personally and the Weapon Master and so remained.”
Well, that was fortunate for her and Vallios. But could she really lie to these men who were so dependant on them, and trusted them with their lives; telling them that Vallios had seen her worth as Ruling Mother and accepted her, when there was no truth to it at all.

"I am beginning to think that Beatrix has grown fond of her power..."

Vallios tensed visibly, And then he stepped forward to address the gathered masses. Those thin lips had twisted into a snarl as Vallios stood tall. One breath and then he began to speak, his voice booming out across the court yard. When he spoke so loud and clear the frigid touch to his accent was quite more noticeable, the tone forceful and direct. This news had obviously pushed Vallios' patience to the limit, it was time to act.

"People of Ahn'kir, Soldiers of the house! Stay your hearts, silence your cries. I understand that the acting Ruling Mother Beatrix has taken a contingent of soldiers for a 'tour'. Sadly, I do not think this is as harmless as it sounds. As such, I ask that every able bodied man or, woman with enough heart retrieve a blade from the armory and fall in line with our soldiers. We will show a unified front, and make it clear that defiance of Ahn'kir tradition will not be tolerated. Serefina and I stand united as Ruling Mother and Weapons Master, with only our coupling left to affirm this. And so, I ask that you do us the honor of acknowledging our union, and standing beside us as we take our proper claim."

But how many of them would truly stand? They'd done nothing to win the loyalty of the house, they were two new faces, just names on the public tongue. Vallios did not let any of his doubts show, he allowed his bravado to further bolster his momentum. Those words had been spoken as a seasoned general would, a rallying cry that would steel the hearts of most with the courage to fight. The crowd was surveyed by those intense topaz orbs, willing every one of them to rise up and be counted...At the very least, Vallios knew the soldiers would rise. Deep down Vallios prayed that the conflict would not come to blows, this was merely meant to be a show of force. However...He was very aware that Beatrix's actions could cause a schizm in the house that would shake Ahn'kir to it's very foundation.

Soothing the people would be Serefina's task, Vallios' to incite and fortify. His time was war, hers peace...In all their duties they were opposite and yet so reliant upon the other. Vallios waited silently, curling an arm around Serefina, using her for just as much support as he offered her. As Vallios thought about all possible paths, he began to wonder if Beatrix had secretly elected a champion. If she had one, perhaps he could end this the honorable way, by defeating her champion in personal combat to settle the matter. However, such antiquated rituals had surely been abandoned by 'civilized' society, this world was ruled by mob mentality, not individual strength.

Serefina surveyed the face of every person present. Each was a face she'd known and trusted since childhood; from the soldiers to the lowest chambermaid. There were a few faces missing, but she knew what each one of them was about and so couldn't help but be warmed by their faith and trust. She could only hope they would not let them down. Was all of this chaos her punishment for one night of freedom? Oh goddess, please no.

Although she didn’t realize that Vallios was drawing a sort of strength and comfort from her like she had from him, she didn’t resist. They did not need to see the two heads arguing over such a simple thing as personal space. He had the right now to that and a lot more. As for who would stand, Serefina already held the hearts of her house. She was the youngest, and yet the heir to the House. She had meet every single one of them and had charmed them. However cool her attitude towards other nobility the servants and those who worked hard for the family found her warm and friendly. It was a strange contradiction.

One hand lifted to touch the chain at her throat, At least you entrusted me with this. But that then brought up the thought, why had her mother entrusted her with this? It was the House seal, the only thing capable of putting the full authority of House Ahn’kir upon paper. Her mother had left it before the trip in which she’d been assassination. Had her mother known somehow? Her aunt Beatrix had thought it lost since it had not been found on her mother. No one knew of its existence. Not even Anastazi. But right now, it would be the thing saving them from any machinations that Beatrix had.

“House Ahn’kir! Beatrix has betrayed the House and the people of House Ahn’kir by dead. As such, she is banished. No fire that burns with the Ahn’kir protection shall shelter her, no meat that is fed by the hand of Ahn’kir shall nourish her body, and no sword that is weilded with Ahn’kir toil shall protect her. Those that do shall receive her same punishment. She shall live and die by her own deeds, with no words of Ahn’kir to shelter her. I shall require five runners to ride to the farthest outreaches of Ahn’kir property to tell of Beatrix’s misdeeds and to prevent any further.

“What of the regalia?!” Someone from the crowd cried out.

Lifting her hand, the chain came with it as well, lifting out the seal upon a ring that held the last, but yet most important piece of the regalia. “Jewels and petty things can be replaced, but the seal is the final word of the Ruling Mother, and it is in my hands.” With that, she snapped the chain off of her neck, and slid a finger through the ring to the cries of joy echoing throughout the courtyard.

The loud noise, and the stress of the morning that did not even approach noon yet weighed on her, and for the first time in her life, she felt lightheaded, and began to understand what might caught one to faint. However, she’d never done so before, and she refused to do so yet and as such, stood resolute beside Vallios.

“This way all shall be on guard for Beatrix and her men, but we shall sacrifice none to war without it being her fault.” Her hand reached to caress the ring, the only thing she really had left of her mother.

Serefina's judgment was much more harsh than Vallios' would've been...But, it was fitting. Vallios merely nodded, confirming Beatrix as an enemy of the state. All such declarations had to be backed by both Ruling Mother, and Weapons Master; this decision had no problems passing. However, Serefina would find that Vallios would grant pardon to any soldier who willingly laid down their weapons before any conflict started; he refused to judge a soldier for following orders.

However, Serefina's declaration did bring up a strange question to Vallios; did he have the heart to kill somebody outside of battle? As Weapons Master Vallios was the ceremonial figurehead for all things militant, including executions. Fortunately, Beatrix would still be taken to trial for her actions. Perhaps between the time of her capture and the time of her trial Vallios could convince Serefina to lift the death sentence from her own flesh and blood. Oddly enough one would find that Vallios actually had a merciful soul, preferring to give criminals a chance to atone for their wrong doings rather than condemn them for eternity.

It was going to be a long day, that much Vallios could already foresee. Once this all was settled he was going to go hunting; but not hunting in the same manner as most. A trip far up north, to bring back one of the monstrous white bears of the north, a project for him to work on and a proper companion. After all, A Bere'nohl was nothing without his Bere, whether he was with the tribe or not. Such an act would of course lend credibility to Vallios' previous statements regarding his lineage, and help those skeptical historians to understand that Ahn'kir was coming upon a new age of strength and honor.

Vallios had misunderstood her words, but unfortunately, neither would be able to realize it as such. Serefina was not planning on killing her aunt. But she would receive no assistance from any that were of Ahn'kir blood. As for the soldiers with her, as long as they laid down arms after knowing the truth of Beatrix's misdeeds, Serefina would give them pardon as well. And even her aunt's betrayal did not warrant death, unless it was by the Council's decree. She would simply not have the benefit of the name of House Ahn'kir to hide behind.

Once the cheering had calmed somewhat, Serefina held up her hand for peace. "For now, guard yourself and guard House Ahn'kir but return to your normal duties. Those who would act as riders, please see me at dinner." By dinner, of course, she meant the midday meal. There was time; none of the soldiers of Beatrix's personal guard were very accomplished, other than B'arc. He was captain of her aunt's guard, and before her father had found Vallios, and he had been first in line to be the Weapon Master's protégée. He was also her champion. Other than that, they had all been chosen for how finely they filled out a uniform.

Once the crowd dispersed, Serefina looked at Vallios. “I need to lie down after all of this. It still doesn’t seem real. If you need to, you can go do whatever you need to, I don’t want to keep you from your duties.” It still didn’t seem right. Nothing was like how she thought it would be. Trying to keep the stress from her face, she turned and began to head back to her room. She was amazed that her mother managed to look as young as she had before the assassination with all the stress she had. Then again, she had the Weapon Master as her consort and a trusted daughter to leave things…

With a gasp, her hand slapped across her mouth. Could it--- No, it wasn’t possible…was it? With that, she took off at a dead run, despite her skirts, the pace quick enough to give anyone a winded breath. She had to find it, she just had to.

Vallios was in swift pursuit, he would not leave Serefina alone at a time like this. First and foremost, his duties were to her, both officially as she was Ruling Mother, and instinctively, as his consort. Serefina would quickly find that Vallios was steadfast during troubled times, and would only allow his own feelings and personal concerns to be known when their was due time to address them. The speed at which Vallios moved was remarkable, he quickly closed the gap between them, looking not even the slightest bit fatigued as he kept pace with her.

Perhaps, they'd have some more time to spend together...If, only to enjoy each other's silent company as they stepped back from the world and tried to gain a more complete view of the happenings. Maybe, Beatrix was truly just going out to tour the Ahn'kir properties and had brought her guard as a way to show that even without a true ruling Mother, Ahn'kir would still stand strong. Though, Vallios knew deep down the odds of something like that happening were about as likely as the sky turning green and showering the earth in penguins.

Yes, penguins.

When Serefina stopped her mad dash Vallios slowed, keeping himself alert as he waited for her to find whatever it was she was so desperate for. As she searched he would stand vigilant, prepared if any should try to attack during such a vulnerable time. However, he hoped she'd find whatever was troubling her so quickly, as he was somewhat looking forward to being able to if not lay down, at least have a seat. Guarding another could be exhausting, and Vallios could definitely do with some ale right about now. That, or a hot meal.

Perhaps even both!

It was just such a strong hunch that Serefina couldn't ignore it. In her rush to there there, as she finally reached her destination, she finally paused. It was the door of her mother's private rooms. The rooms she hadn't entered since the news of their death had been brought back. Only a little over a week ago, and yet it seemed like eternity. Her whole world was that door at that moment, she was even completely unaware that Vallios had followed her. She lifted one hand and rested it against the elaborate panel. I can do this she pushed against the door, stepping back in surprise at the ease with which the large door slid open.

It's just a room, it's just a roomAfter all, it wasn't like she died here. In fact, it was more like she lived here. Serefina could still smell her mother's perfume. See her as she sat in the desk by the---

"Sweet Goddess---" the heavy carved wooden desk was in complete disarray, there was a hammer, some keys and a few other assorted things that would probably take Anastazi to figure out what they were. That was the last straw. Even her mother's sancuatary had been violated. Serefina crumpled to her knees and began to weep, deep sobbing cried of helplessness. In one day, her life had been upended.

Vallios moved to settle beside Serefina, pulling her back into his arms. He nuzzled gently at her neck in an attempt to coax her into shifting more against him, moving at least of the physical burden of her sorrows from herself onto him. Those long muscled arms curled tight around her, keeping her close to his chest. Those topaz orbs slowly closed, Vallios focusing on keeping so calm it was radiant, knowing she'd find solace in any form of strength.

Being overwhelmed was certainly Vallios could undersand; this was all so much more personal for her. For Vallios, it was a disgrace to the dead, a slight against the honor of House Ahn'kir, and against the memory of the two people who'd so graciously given him a place in the world. The burden was truly Serefina's, his job to help her through the grieving, to allow her to free herself from the despair.

That strength was just what Serefina needed then. Vallios was real, not like the rest of the world at the moment that seemed so unreal. Every time she thought she'd fall apart in the last week, she'd had to pull herself together and each time it got tougher and tougher. Twisting in the Bere'nohl's grasp, she pressed her face to his chest, letting his shirt soak up her tears as she clung to him, letting her heart break open completely so that it could be mended. Pressed so close, it was easy to realize how very tiny she actually was. Vallios towered over her by more than a foot.

At first her sobs were indiscriminate, but after several long minutes it became clear that she was in fact sobbing while apologizing, although to whom she was apologizing was unclear.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..."

To Vallios, it was fairly obvious whom she was apologizing to. The room had been ransacked, what had been taken Vallios did not know, though the room certainly appeared ransacked. Vallios kept his hold tight around her, allowing her to vent out her feelings however she found most comforting. He leaned his head down and planted a gentle kiss to her forehead before speaking. Vallios bent down and picked Serefina up, cradling her in his arms as he took her slowly from the room. he shut the door, making sure it locked behind them.

"Don't apologize because somebody else violated her trust...You've done, and continue to do everything you can do to honor her memory, and pick up what she left behind." He whispered.

Vallios was carrying Serefina back to her chambers, which were about to become their chambers within the next couple of days. If she tried to struggle, she'd find that his hold was unbreakable, yet still somehow gentle. She'd said her apologies, and Vallios knew that the comforts of her own room would be much better for the healing, and the rest she needed. They had a few hours before the mid-day meal, and Vallios knew that they both were in dire need of the rest.

As she was lifted, she gripped his shirt tighter, "What!?" and she did begin to struggle. Why was her making her leave? Where was he taking her? But even with tear stained cheeks, her hands clung to him even tighter. They were bound in all but coupling. No one in the house, let alone one of the soldiers would dare to defy Vallios, except for her, and she did not want anymore blood on her hands. She truly was powerless. At that realization, her body went limp, defeated and she simply laid against Vallios' chest until they got to her room.

When they reached her chambers Vallios laid her down on the bed gently, then moved to shut the door behind them, to allow her some privacy. Remembering events from earlier today, he settled down into the only chair in the room, waiting until Serefina reacted to being relocated. The way she had submitted in that hallway was telling of just how low she was feeling, and Vallios felt somewhat bad for trying to move her...He'd only been trying to do what he thought best. If she did not object, Vallios would move to lay beside her and once again offer his support to her.

If she needed time alone, Vallios would remain silent in that chair, allowing her to be alone mentally. Physically however, he was going to almost always be close enough to help should any problematic situation arise; he couldn't bare the thought of allowing her to get hurt again. It was surprising how delicate Vallios was being, making sure to measure every action so that it would cause the least amount of problems. Now was certainly a time to be pliable, rather than try and assert his own views over the situation; at least, when he could keep them to himself.

It was the distance that did it. She wasn't sure what she was expecting really. But it wasn't him gently placing her on her bed and then leaving. Only he left to lock the door...

Her body tensed, and for a moment, she thought of escape. But just a moment as he sat there in the chair. She watched him then, with wary eyes, her own luminous ones overly bright. But her body felt cold and she was forced to wrap her arms around her body while she continued to watch him. He had proven himself trustworthy hadn't he? He'd had many opportunities to take advantage of her, and while it pricked her pride that he hadn't, there was security in it that he wouldn't now either. And now she had need of that comfort.

"Vallios....would you hold me, please?" That was the final straw in her defenses. Actually breaking down enough to ask for help. She looked so very young, and so very defenseless.

"Of course."

Vallios moved over and up onto the bed, shedding that heavy cloak of his as it was beginning to become rather bothersome. As he laid beside her he reached out and pulled her into his arms, bringing her into a close embrace. Vallios pulled the covers over them, finding himself unusually bothered by the chill of the room. Perhaps it was just the stress of the day that had lowered his tolerance temporarily. Vallios settled in against Serefina, his lips resting against the crook of her neck. Then he rose his head just enough to speak quietly.

"At least we finally have a bit more time alone." He said softly.

It was quite apparent that Vallios was having some space issues with the rest of the world. If Serefina spoke of the outside she'd find that his muscles tensed slightly, and his lips curled into the smallest of snarls. But, Vallios masked his weariness and hostility by letting out a low sigh, knowing that she didn't need any of his negativity to snowball with hers. Gently, playfully Vallios' fingers teased at her sides, nothing more than a light tickle to try and ease the heavy mood they'd both fallen into.

As he moved, so did she, shifting till she was laying against the side of his chest, her head against his shoulder. It was nice, and she relaxed. But what he did next, oh the repercussions!

His hands slid lightly along her sides and she twitched. And again until she was squirming and she began pushing him away. "No, oh goddess no!!!" All the time laughing until face was a bright pink. "Too ticklish!!"

Vallios smirked at the newest development, leaning in to continue tickling her. He stopped quite as suddenly as it had all started, just watching her with a wolfish grin on his face. Vallios was expecting some kind of retaliation from her, hopefully something in good spirit. His little diversion had worked at least, she'd been temporarily distracted from her heavy mood. Vallios reached out with an innocent look on his face, offering the hold she'd requested just a few seconds ago. It was nice to know that Serefina could be tickled, and made to laugh uncontrollably.

"Promise I won't do it again...Today at least."

A chuckle escaped Vallios' lips, for a moment that look of weariness had faded from his eyes. It was as if her laughter had invigorated him, the simple fact that she was smiling helping to ease his own fatigue. Vallios extended his reach just long enough to caress her cheek lightly as he looked for something to say. When he did speak, his voice was a quiet purr.

"You really should smile more..."

For a moment, she simply glowered at him, but it lasted only a few seconds before she laughed again. Shaking her head, she smiled. For the moment her troubles were gone, and she could just enjoy the company of this man who seemed to squeak past her defenses. As one hand laid upon her cheek, her hand too lifted up, and braced lightly atop his own.

"I'll have my revenge...when you least expect it." she promised, but she was still smiling, caught up in the good mood of the moment. But when he commented on her smile, she simply rolled her eyes.

"If I smiled more, then people...men even might take it as an invitation..." perhaps flirting, or seeing if she could get some hint of possessiveness or jealousy out of him. For her, at the moment, the earlier incident wasn't real. Getting to know her consort to be, was. "Then again, that might be fun. Having men at my beck and call, awaiting my pleasure."

"While I doubt I'll ever be at your beck and call..."

Valllios then slid over to her and leaned in, stifling that train of thought with a forceful, and considerably possessive kiss. His hand drifted off her cheek, arms ensnaring her once again as he held her close and allowed their kiss to deepen. Alpha wolf was definitely the personality type that fit Vallios to a 't', and it could easily be exploited. Even the hint of other men and Vallios would begin to feel the need to lay his claim. When he thought he'd made his point sufficiently, he pulled back enough so that he could finish his statement.

"I do intend to be the only man sharing your pleasures." He growled, his voice low and almost husky with desire.

A sultry smirk curved those thin lips as Vallios watched Serefina, waiting for her reaction. This situation could quickly escalate into something quite interesting, Vallios' libido was like a powder keg. One stray spark would be more than enough to cause quite a reaction. Of course, Vallios could control himself; he'd be very careful about any form of incidental intimacy that might happen before the set date of the coupling. He didn't need Serefina to suddenly have a moment, to put it politely.

Surprisingly enough, she allowed the kiss, returning the kiss as best she was knowledgeable how. There was a moment, just a flash really, when she thought she saw something, but as she opened her eyes, she saw only Vallios. As he pulled back, she restrained a pout of frustration. That was the one thing she liked about kissing him, for that moment, nothing else in the world existed. But then he made his comment, and she couldn't resist teasing him a little.

"Yet, as Ruling Mother, I do have rights to take secondary consorts..." After all, the important thing was the continuation of the line. And the entire reason the House was matriarchal was the fact that one always knew who the mother was since she was the one who nurtured the child within her body.

Back
Top Bottom