Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

Cinder by Marissa Meyer.........the cover made me wince and stay away for far too long. Fuck, should've started this wayyyy sooner. lol!

"Life Or Death", by Michael Robotham. A psychological crime thriller, and the first of his I've read. I'm only a few chapters in, but the writing has already grabbed me.

Im a book worm but im reading the academy series by C.L Stone. But im waiting for the next book to come out

So I finally finished Red Knight, have to say I enjoyed it and look forward to the next book. The world building is simple, draws heavily from our own; but does so in a way that doesn't feel amateurish. The only real flaws of the book was the large number of view point characters that it liked to jump around to and a map.

Since I also recently finished the 3rd Thieve's World anthology I decided to switch gears and put an old sci-fi novel in the car to read. Raiders from the Rings, it's supposed to be a good space opera, only a chapter or so into it and I'm enjoying the simplicity of it all.

Rounding things out an update on Name of the Wind, while I'm not hating the main character I don't love him either. The writing is very well done and I have a definite interest in the wider world.

Just finished up Scarlet and have started Cress...books 2 and 3 respectively of Melissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles (Cinder was the 1st book). Honestly, these books are AMAZING! Very well written. As I mentioned with Cinder, the cover of the first book made me wince and stay away for a long while, figuring they would be cheesy, horribly written retellings of the fairytales we all love and adore. But ohhohhh! How wrong I was! These books are absolutely fantastic and worthy reads! Never has scifi mixed with a fairytale premise been so wonderfully done! I can't praise it enough.

Anyway, I'm on to Cress at the moment. Next up will be Fairest and then Glitches (the predecessor to Cinder). Winter is the soon-to-be released book in the series (not sure if it'll be the final installment, but it sort of seems like it might be)! : )

Well I just finished reading Name of the Wind this morning, some 700 odd pages of it. It ended with a cliff hanger and the writing is strong enough that I want to continue reading the second book. I'm still up in the air as to whether or not I like the main character. Over all though a pretty good high fantasy style novel with an unreliable narrator, it's just a shame that the book isn't self contained enough to stand on it's own.

In it's place I'm likely to start reading Almuric by Robert Howard before bed and either How to Mellify a Corpse: and Other Human Stories of Ancient Science and Superstition or Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone: The Essential Hunter S. Thompson at work.

I've been reading a lot of Ray Bradbury's stuff, and 'There Will Come Soft Rains' is the one that's mainly stuck with me.

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;

And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild plum trees in tremulous white,

Robins will wear their feathery fire
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;

And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.

Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

So yesterday I finished Almuric, an alright novel for the era it was written in. Was quick paced and the action never let up, a little nonsensical at times; but fun.

This morning I finished Annals of a Fortress, Twenty Two Centuries of Siege Warfare, same opinion of it as last time. Though the last chapter makes me laugh because it discusses the development of fortifications post Prussian-Franco War and says that large fixed fortifications would be a waste of money. Then in the 1930s, about a half century from the publication, the French make the Maginot Line to block the German border and we known how useful that was in WWII.

Let's see....yeah.....finished Cress by Melissa Meyer (also read some of her short stories for this same 'verse: Glitches and Queens Army).

Now, I'm onto another series while I'm waiting on the newest books to either drop in price and/or release from the previously mentioned series and that is a YA series by Jennifer Armentrout. I've read 2 books in it so far and am onto the 3rd. What can I say, I devour these books. <.<

Anyway, the series is called Lux and I've read both Obsidian and Onyx (books 1 and 2, respectively) and am on to Opal (book 3), which I'm currently reading. >///<

I'm still working through ASOIAF, finishing the third book. I haven't watched the show and plug my ears when people start talking about it.

Kafka's diaries, 1910-1913. He observed so much, and mulled over it tremendously. His reflections are very dream-like, and I think a good case for how even the most 'mundane' life can offer richness, should you put your mind & soul to the task.

I've become even more eclectic in my reading habits of late. Started dabbling in a collection of short stories by Frank Herbert called the Eye. They're a shift of pace from his Dune materials and it reminds me how I need to read more of his novels to get a better feel of him as a writer. Will always love the Dune series though.

Also started working on Swords Against Wizardry by Fritz Leiber, the 4th collection of stories involving the daring duo of Fafhrd and Gray Mouser.

Reading A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962 by Alistair Horne continues apace. I have enjoyed this book greatly for it's structured break down of the entire conflict. Would love a translation though when he quotes random French.

Extreme South, by James Castrission. The story of he and Justin Jones' attempt to become the first to make an unsupported return journey from the edge of the Antarctic Continent to the South Pole.

Lessee...I'm still into the Lux series by Jennifer L Armentrout. Finished up Opal (book 3) along with Origins (book 4). I'm now onto Opposition...the 5th book and final installment of the series. HOWEVER! There's a prequel novella titled Shadows and a side novel titled Obsessions that focuses on an Arum character that showed up in the series. So yes, I'll be delving into those before I leave all of this behind. : )

Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarksky. (Currently ongoing with 10 issues and counting. Also soon to be a TV series)

So in this graphic novel, the main female character have the ability to stop time whenever she orgasm (through masturbation or sex). She thought she was alone but then, she met a guy who can do the same thing. Together, they have a Bonnie&Clyde-esque adventure.

1. Witty and quirky dialogue.
2. It's keeps you entertained and keeps you on your toes. No dull moment.
3. It's funny.
4. It's a feminist book.
5. Nominated for an Eisner (Oscars of comics) as Best Series of 2014
6. Learn stuff like this.

I want to RP this but not a lot of people here in BMR are familiar with it. I've only found one so far. I'll recommend this comic book to everyone, especially the BMR community, or RPers/aspiring writers in general.

darkangel76 said:
Let's see....yeah.....finished Cress by Melissa Meyer (also read some of her short stories for this same 'verse: Glitches and Queens Army).

Thanks. A friend of mine loves re-imagined fairy tale characters. Will do give it a read and recommend it to a friend. If you like that sort of stuff, do check out Fables by Bill Willingham. It's a graphic novel. I think this comic book is the culprit of modern re-imagining of fairy tale characters.

Ok. Yeah....I'm done with that Lux series now. Meaning, I've finished up Opposition along with Shadow and Obsession, lolol! I'm now onto Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental Mysteries series. I've quite literally started the first book in that called A Hidden Fire. XD

Also, you're quite welcome, Spidery! I've no doubt you and your friend will love the series. It's absolutely AMAZING! I can't wait to finish it up...such a long wait until November for the final book. >.< And I'll look into that other series you mentioned. *nods*

Just finished Lord John and the Private Matter by Galbadon now moving onto World Without End by Follett.

I like a book that has a size you can kill a man with.

Back
Top Bottom