Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

I have been on a reading FRENZY this week, finishing three books since monday. Shoulda Been A Cowboy (Rough Riders) by
Lorelei James, romance, it was okay i thought it was going to be different but it was still good. Total submission makes me uncomfortable so that's the only thing i had a problem with, it was written very well just not my cup of tea. Then UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale) by
Chanda Hahn it was free in the kindle store and i was very very happy with it, typical young adult fantasy book but thats my guilty pleasure. I loved it so much i bought the second one as soon as i was done reading the first. Fairest (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Book 2) by
Chanda Hahn, again loved it, cant wait for the next one to come out in a few weeks.

These are YA fantasy books but really good, and free ebook copies

The iron butterfly
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007BKQPJ2/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1374900174&sr=1-4&pi=SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160

Unenchanted
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006ROK1UM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1374900174&sr=1-1&pi=SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160

Finally getting around to reading Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie. His writing makes me both sad and laugh at the same time, which is a testament to his craft. One of the best Native American authors out there I think.

Finished the Calpurnia book, really enjoyed it and wish there was more.

Currently reading Battle of Berlin and Le Morte De Arthur.

I am reading "On The Road" this book should come with a health warning aimed particularly at those in their formative years. The Road features a series of trips made by Kerouac and his Beat Generation friends across America in the years after the Second World War.

I started George RR Martin's A Feast for Crows either this week or last week, but as of late I have only read the prologue.

I am about half way through "a memory of light" the last wheel of time book. It's pretty good.

Anyone who likes fantasy novels and hasn't read this series it's one of the best out there in my opinion

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough - I watched the mini series when I was really little and had no idea how dark and just..tragic it was. Reading now as an adult has been eye opening.

Just read Divergent by Veronica Roth, the first book in her Divergent trilogy. And I'm getting ready to immediately move on to the second book, titled Insurgent, now. So far, I highly recommend this YA trilogy and cannot say enough good things about it. The first book had me utterly captivated. My heart raced, I cried and I totally felt myself become engaged with the characters... wanting to know more about them and their world. People have likened it to Hunger Games and though I haven't read the books and have just seen the movie, I honestly have to say that so far, I'd have to claim that this is quite different. Sure, it's dystopic, it's YA and there are sections of society. But the sections aren't viewed in the same way as far as I can tell based on what I've seen of the Hunger Games movie and the other themes... not even close. Anyway... it had this notoriously slow reader totally hooked and I managed to read the first book in 2 days and ready to immediately move on to the second book. So, I think that should say something at least.

I have picked up one of my favorite series from when I was younger and Re-reading to see how it holds up especially since Mr. Garth Nix Might be writing another in the series. Its the Abhorsen Trilogy :D I'm almost down with Sabriel again (my fav of the three) then onward. Has a unique fantasy setting in my opinion and I love its take on necromancy.

Currently going through the entirety of Clive Barker's Books of Blood vol. 1-6. Some are really lame but about half of them are just spot on with disturbing imagery and creep factor. Pigs freak me out to begin with but "Pig Blood Blues" is fucking unsettling.

Been a while since I posted in here. Since I last posted, I've quite obviously finished the Divergent trilogy and I highly recommend the whole thing. I also just very recently finished the entire Hunger Games trilogy as well and am in the process of deciding what to take on next. Presently I'm rather into YA novels because 1) I rather enjoy them for story/character imagery and 2) they tend to read more easily and thus more quickly for me. With time being a factor, the second dealy is a pretty big thing.

Anyway, since I literally just finished up Hunger Games not too long ago, I have to say it was pretty damned amazing. A lot of people likened the Divergent books to this trilogy and I honestly do NOT see it. Both trilogies are ridiculously different and each are damned amazing. I enjoyed this one immensely and am glad I read it since I very nearly didn't. Anyone who enjoys a good dystopian with fantastic characters and disturbing plot... this is a must read. Honestly, it had me captivating from beginning to end.

Darkangel, I saw you were having some difficulty finding something new to read. Have you ever read the Superior series by Lena Hillbrand? It's about vampires but I think it may be YA because I'm 3 books in and it's got no actual sex scenes.

the Superiors - goodreads link
Although Draven belongs to the master race that has taken over the world from humans, he can’t afford his own human. He clings to the lower rungs of society, struggling to pay rent and obey the strict laws of society. Then one night he captures Cali, a human runaway.

Draven must return the girl, but he can’t stop thinking about her. He returns to feed on her often and begins to remember his own humanity as he spends more time with her. As he learns to sympathize with the human and see her as more than an animal, he struggles to protect her from other Superiors. But Draven can’t keep others from feeding on Cali unless he buys her. He vows to make the purchase, no matter what he has to sacrifice to support a human.

His quest for Cali starts innocently enough, but soon leads him deeper into a tangled web of danger, violence, betrayal and murder.

It is sooooo good! Near and dear to my heart. It's a dark picture of a world where vampires rule and raise humans as cattle... and they have for CENTURIES. A little bit of a love story but damned Draven is a clueless knucklehead about it! XD

Oohhh, I'm going to have to add this to my 'to read' list, Quin!! A lot of what I've been reading these days falls under the YA category. Mainly because I've been finding them to 1) just be quicker reads and that works better with my busy schedule and 2) the imagery and such is actually pretty damned good for a lot of YA books (well, the GOOD ones anyway). You just have to make sure you get into a good set and not the drivel. So far, I've been faring well there. I did read one that I wasn't so thrilled with despite the accolades it and the rest in the series has received. But, to each their own I guess. But anyway, thanks for the rec! I will add this to my list! :) *hugs*

The first part of Harry Turtledove's Worldwar.

World War 2. Lizard aliens show up to wreck shit up. Things get even more tangled from there. The thing is that Turtledove shows great historical research and knowledge, particularly military history and technology, and the hard sci-fi elements of The Race mix in quite well all things considered.

That was an interesting series; I like his Darkness series, WWII fantasy style. Though I prefer the Civil War/WWI series, Guns of the South was an alright novel; but I did not enjoy his Videssos Cycle, it just felt flat.

As for what I'm currently reading, well I have Thieve's World 1, Dogs of God: Columbus, the Inquisition, and the Defeat of the Moors, Understanding Islam in Indonesia: Politics and Diversity and The Doomfarers of Coramonde. So I have a good mix, the first is my car book, the second and third are bedtime reading, the last bathroom. Oh, I'm also reading Chariot of the Gods at work.

I'm currently reading Stephen King's Dolores Claiborne.It's an amazing book.I love the fact that King wrote Dolores' character to be tough-as-nails.I like the movie,too,but I wanted to read the book.Especially because I knew that everything would be able to be told in a more complete way (as movies have a limited amount of time in which to tell the story.) King's writing is so vivid and descriptive that I'm able to feel like I'm part of the story.Once I finish,this will only be the second book of his I've read,but I know it won't be the last!

Currently reading the Gospels of the Bible (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) to understand the core of Christianity, what Jesus ACTUALLY said, and what it means to me. I've taken the liberty of using highlighters and every time I find something I like, I use yellow. When I find something I don't like or disagree with, I use orange.

Whether I continue onto the rest of the New Testament or not is undecided. I'm also interested in reading the Koran and many other books.

Reading Forsaken by Andrew Van Wey. It's about a college professor who teaches art students how to restore old paintings and he gets one delivered to him that haunts him or whatever. Reminds me a lot of the popular ghost story horror movies that have come out in the last decade or so. Very formulaic right down to the creepy connection with the Professor's 6 year old daughter. But just as those movies can be, it's an entertaining read with some disturbing imagery but no real feeling of threat. I guess it's because I'm rooting for the Prof. to die which can skew the empathy meter.

Gardens of the Moon by Steve Erikson in The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Honestly I don't know if I have the will to read on. I'm only near the end of chapter two of book one, and I'd rather pull out my eyes with my fingers at this point. While Erikson is a talented writer and world builder, the chapters are way too fucking long. It also feels like Erikson has to mention every minor action the character does, right now to scratching their arse (hyperbole). Reading what has been released of the Song of Ice and Fire, I think as spoiled me as a reader. For now I expect more out of authors, than I ever did pre A Song of Ice and Fire. I just wish Martin would get the lead out of his ass and finish The Winds of Winter. However, I'm willing to wait for a quality release.

Erikson is a much better world builder then Martin. I know Garden's of the Moon takes a bit of work, I had to make two attempts before I could get into the meat of it; but if you like the idea of military fantasy, complex anthropology, interesting cosmology and magic systems then stick with it as it does pay out.

I cant argue for or against Mr. Erikson's world crafting abilities, seeing how I'm not even close to finishing the Gardens of the Moon. However, one of positive things I can say about Mr. Martin's writing is its accessible. I was hook, line, and sinker within the first few pages of A Game of Thrones. Sounds like interesting concepts, I'll I give you the benefit of the doubt and continue.

Back
Top Bottom