Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sorceress In the Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
The broad and lavish gates loomed in front of the sorceress and her small entourage. The dark haired beauty sat with a regel stance on her horse. The creature was a lovely thing that was white with a stark black mane and tail. Both were braided with ribbons of various colors and flowers. Dianna, too, had adornments in her hair. Blue feathers cascaded the side of her face, falling along the deep brown waves that curled into a side tail. Two strands fell from the back a bright cerulean blue. The sorceress's eyes matched the color and shone just as vibrant. She was at the head of the group and held her nose high toward the palace gates.

They slowly opened.

Behind her stood only a small group from her own kingdom. Four guards, a schalor, and her nursemaid who had traveled with her since she was a babe. They whispered amongst each other, but Dianna didn't pay attention. She never listened to their rumors. Humans were such silly things; they heard one whisper and assumed to know everything. Dianna's mind never worked that way.

The gates open, Dianna nudged her horse forward. Her people followed. They were greeted by guards in silver and navy armored robes. They carried large lances with curved blades and broad swords were strapped to their hips. Dianna had to marvel at the extreme talent to create such pieces of art. She could smell the magic dripping from the metal.

Dianna and her followers were lead to the throne room, their horses put in the stables and luggage taken.

Before entering, she gave her name to a little man with a funny hat. He blew a horn and announced loudly to the throne room, "Sorceress Dianna Bells, of Kingdom Easteria."

Dianna descended gold and silver steps. The room itself was decorated in wild swirls and floral patterns that made Dianna dizzy. She took it all in as she approached. A man sat on the throne, but no woman sat beside him. Widower, then, because Dianna could see the children lined on the side of the dias where the throne sat. There were many of them, the first several girls. The last was a boy, no older than eleven. Dianna's eyes lingered on the woman in front. She didn't wear a dress and the sorceress found herself fancying the woman's form underneath men's attire.

She pulled her gaze away and curtsied low for the king. Her dress was a deep blue, kissed in gems of pearls wrapped in silver. It clung to her figure, revealing delicate curves and a modest chest.

"Rise," the king said in a voice like an organ. "Welcome, Sorceress. Stories of you have traveled far and wide. What brings you to my humble kingdom?"

"I've yet to visit such a rich culture," Dianna said, her voice heavy with an accent. "My goal is to see all the world, good king, not just pieces of it."

"An admirable goal," the king said with a nod. He rubbed his beard, which was dark but sprinkled with white. "I am King Thyon. These are my children." He gestured for the first born to come forward. "Introduce yourself, lassy."

Dianna curtsied for the woman as she approached, but didn't take her eyes off her.

The eldest child of King Thyon watched the sorceress enter. Her eyes following her as she walked. She was intrigued by the feathers that adorned her hair, and the gems that covered her dress. She was a beautiful figure to be sure. Hearing her father's voice, she cleared her throat. Bothered by having been called "lassie". Her long blonde hair was pulled back into a ponytail, save for chin length bangs that framed her face. Her male uniform did little to disguise her modest figure and nearly invisible bust. Her bright blue eyes never leaving the sorceress as she stepped forward. She offered a small bow, rather than a curtsy. "I am Arturia and I bid you welcome." She took the sorceress's hand in her own, kissing the back of it gently before standing up straight again.

She found herself intrigued by the idea of a woman visiting the castle, who wasn't either a blood relative, nor a servant. Certainly her brother was far too young to be wed, and now that her brother was born, there was little point in marrying Arturia to another woman.

She returned to her father's side without another word, knowing better than to speak out of turn in her father's court. She looked down the line of her siblings briefly. Her eyes lingering bitterly on her young brother before returning to face the sorceress. She'd lead a sheltered existence prior to her brother's birth. Her gender had been a carefully guarded secret until a true heir was born. Too little, too late in her book. If she was raised as a male, she was damn well going to be treated as a male. She'd earned it. Otherwise, what was the point? The deception had worked so well that not even she would believe she was a woman if not for facing her own nude body everyday. She stood silent, dwelling in her bitter thoughts as she awaited her father's instructions or dismissal.

Dianna liked the sound of the other woman's voice. But the woman stepped back, allowing her siblings to enter. Dianna greeted each. She wondered how a king faired with so many children and no wife.

Once the children returned to their line up, the king stood. He descended the steps and most of the king's staff jerked back in surprised. Even Dianna knew most kings did not stand or approach just anyone. She held her head high and watched as the king circled her. An eerie feeling creeped up her arms as goosebumps settled in. There was something menancing behind this man's eyes.

He stopped in front of her. He did not scowl, but his smile was not friendly. He snapped his fingers and a guard came forward, pulling Dianna's nursemaid. Dianna blinked in surprise. "What are you doing with her?"

"My dear sorceress," the king said, loud enough for the entire room to hear, "I would like a demonstration of your magic."

Dianna's fingers curled into a fist. She did not come back from another life to be told what to do in this one. "I refuse."

"Tsk," the king said. The guard at his side brought his broad sword to the old woman's neck. The woman squealed in protest, but otherwise did not move. Dianna's eyes narrowed. "Care to give me another answer?"

"You're threatening the live of my maid to see me do some magic?" She ground her teeth, nails digging into the palms of her hands.

"Yes," the king said. "Arturia? I'd like you to have a match with this sorceress." Something flashed behind the king's eyes as he stared at Dianna. "I have a feeling this will be interesting."

"If I do this, you'll let us leave in peace?" Dianna asked.

The king was moving back to his throne and everyone moved back to give Dianna and Arturia a wide birth. The king grinned like a fool as he settled in his seat. "Yes, yes. Though..." He leaned forward. "I've heard you can do magic without a staff."

Dianna swallowed hard and tightened her grip on her staff. Her knuckles turned white. "Where did you hear such lies?"

"Lies?" The king laughed and the room erupted in laughter as well. He threw a hand up. Several guards came at Dianna and tore the staff from her grip. She didn't fight for fear of her nursemaid's life.

She stared, hard and cold, at the king. "You want to see my magic? Fine. Let's get this over with."

She only hoped the king would keep his word.

Arturia watched her father with suspicion. What was he planning? Her eyes widened as the maid was taken hostage. Her eyes shifted to her father in alarm as he instructed her to test the woman. "As you wish, father." She said quietly. She wanted to protest, but also feared for the nursemaid's life. She descended from her position slowly, pulling her gloves from her hands as she entered the larger space. Though she attempted to wear an empty expression, her eyes held an apologetic gaze. She allowed her gloves to fall to the floor as she stepped closer to the center of the room.

Her hands curled to fists and loosened again as her breathing slowed to allow her to concentrate. Her hand didn't fall to the blade that rested at her side. Her magic was powerful, but unrefined. "Shall we begin?" She took a deep breath before performing a dance like twirl, her arm spread wide as she did so, only to tuck in close to her body and be thrust forward, forcing a powerful gust of wind in the sorceress's direction. She jumped away quickly prepared to defend against a retaliatory strike.

I'm not a performing moneky, was all Dianna could think.

She had died once to come back with her magic more refined, stronger, and capable of anything. She had not anticipated the dettachment from that life before. The only thing she could hold onto strongly was her dislike of using magic to entertain.

Magic was dangerous.

The exotic woman stepped down to fight. Dianna readied herself, felling magic thrum through her being. Arturia attacked and really, Dianna had to give the woman credit. Her form was perfect.

Dianna deflected the attack back. With her fingers spread in front of her, a large pentagram formed as a shield. There were all kinds of shapes and glyphs drawn into it, intricate and foreign. Everything shone with a blue hue. The people around them gasped and the king leaned forward with a sly smile.

The sorceress tried not to concentrate on the people around her. She had to focus on her opponent. Mostly, she did not want to think about the sword at her nursemaid's throat. If anyone hurt Matilda, she'd never forgive herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom