Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Unnamed project

Vertaige

Star
So I've been working on this damn story for five years, hoping to turn it into a book but I'm a right bastard in criticizing my own work so I figure I'll post this and if I need any help maybe some nice people can lend a hand. Also this is my baby so please tear into it, comment, correct and fucking shred it to pieces so i can mend hone, rebuild and make it something worth reading. Also this is my third attempt at a first chapter and is by no means complete...so yeah

It was a short autumn, something that did not slip past Isaac Vertiage. It was inferred that due to the lean season a harsh winter was to come. It would be brutal with driving snow, howling wind, and searing cold. The winter would kill many and leave others maimed. It would cause untold grief and hardship. This delighted Isaac as he walked onward to the Wastes. It would make his work much easier to accomplish. He stopped at the edge of the forest looking down on the vista below. Beneath him was a valley crowded by an immense camp fashioned in the way of a bazaar. Mismatched tents and crooked stalls clogged the camp making a patchwork market. Lanterns and torches glistened through the falling snow, shimmering through the white veil.
“The infamous Market of the Wastes.” He spoke to no one in particular.
The market below was perhaps the single most horrific place within all the known realms. It was here that sin and vice were currency and the goods being sold were anything a twisted mind and dark heart could desire. Everything was permitted and nothing forbidden. It was a place untouched by Gods and Immortals, where nothing holy or divine could enter, and things that did held no sway. Even the sky above was marked by a permanent crimson hue. It was exactly the place where Isaac would be able to find what he was looking for. He smiled as he descended into the darkness, letting his cloak flap in the wind in the same way a bat takes flight.
He stepped through the skeletal forest devoid of any life and hummed. He rather enjoyed the silence in between the cities and towns. It was a place he could think without distractions. The ground crunched underneath leather boots as he walked leaving faint prints over fresh snow. He was not startled when the shadows from the trees began slithering beside him, writhing together to form the figure of a man. The apparition then solidified into a mirror image of Isaac but composed of sheer darkness.
“It seems we are alone once more Isaac and I wonder, does your heart mirror that repulsive mind of yours?” When the apparition spoke it sounded akin to skin being torn from bone.
Isaac chuckled as the two continued down the beaten path side by side. The wind picked up and grew colder, making a pass at Isaac and phasing through the double entirely.
“You’re getting bolder, Thantos.”
“ It’s the air.” The double hissed insidiously, “It tastes of insanity.”
“If you must know my friend, the plan I have devised serves both my needs and the unlucky soul I take.”
“I assume you mean that in a less than physical manner.” Thantos croaked.
“Yes, I do not intend to feed, my would be partner to you…not yet at least.” Isaac replied as he hiked his hood over his head. Thantos then shifted to Isaac’s left and whispered,
“Your debt to me will not be replaced by another. Remember this Isaac,” and with that Thantos faded back into the shadows as Isaac drew ever closer to the Market.
“We will see Thantos. We will see.”

In the stories my mother told, she always told us about the macabre Wastes. My brothers loved them and I always had though she had exaggerated. I knew now how wrong I was to doubt her.
I sat there caged like some animal, wearing only a slip of sackcloth, waiting to be paraded on stage and sold. The manacles around my wrists hurt and every part of my being yearned to be free. Then a larger part of me wanted to break free and tear apart every gods damned human I could find. Rage and fear battled to see who was more prominent. I thought to myself, either way I’m not leaving this stage alive…

Isaac walked through the Markets his body tensed. His stood tall his hood covering his face but many knew of him anyway. People stumbled to get out of his way.He grinned, it was good to see his reputation preceded him here. It would have been a shame for all his effort to go to waste.
In the Red District there was a small commotion at the stage. Apparently an auction had turned ugly, with the winning bidder having his throat slit by a competitor, the unspoken rules of the market once more showing their horrific visage. Isaac watched as the killer took the stage and claimed his prize, a young Tautha de Danna. He doubted the buyer would survive the night. Isaac scanned the crowd from beneath his voluminous hood, smirking as he did so. He saw the degenerates and insane, every one of them hoping to find someone to suit their grotesque needs and wants. Isaac noted that now he was no different but quickly dismissed the idea. It was here he planned to make his first move and nothing as petty as morality would stand in his way. He felt the weight of both his spear and scythe clink on his back as he stepped closer to the stage. Several more were auctioned off as Isaac waited non-chalantly. Several humans and a few Tuatha de Danna were bidded off to healthy sums of coin.
“Next up my lovelies,” the barker spoke, “we have a lovely specimen of those vile beasts that walk on two legs. She was taken from the forests of Albion just a few weeks ago and is quite the fighter.”
Isaac perked up, hoping this was what he thought it was.
The barker nodded to the handlers on the side. A young girl was led onstage wearing only a tattered sack that barely kept her modesty. The girl was an anima, and a stunning one at that, Issac noted.
The girl was young, aging around seventeen seasons and had fox ears resting on hair as scarlet as the fallen leaves. Her slited green eyes burned with hatred like emerald fires and a vulpine tail thrashed behind her. She screamed obscenities as she whipped the chain attached to her manacles, attempting to free herself.
Her voice pierced the roaring crowd with righteous fury,
“FUck you animals!”

Someone from the crowd responded wich prompted a stream of lewd comments,
“I’d love to you delectable cunt.”
“Spread your legs and I will!”
“All evening my dear.”

The girl screamed and struggled until a handler leveled a crossbow at her chest. She then charged him leaping through the air and kicking his chest, knocking the air from the guard. They both fell to the ground in a heap. The girl then promptly straddled the guard and attempted to wrest the crossbow from his hands. Wrapping the chain around his neck she attempted to strangle the guard. SHe grunted in effort.
“Looks like we have our winner,” Isaac whispered as a smirk crossed his face.
The barker sighed, then gave a savage jerk on the chain drawing the manacles tight. The girl shrieked as she was dragged towards the barker, pain displayed across her face. Only when a broadsword was leveled to her neck, did the girl calm down. Unfortunately before Isaac could even speak, a cultist began the bid at two hundred coin. The ancient man garbed in blood red robes eyed the girl lecherously; no doubt a filthy decrepit beast with perverse ideas in store for her, Isaac mused. To be fair though his plans were not any less desirable.
The bidding began at a furious pace with numbers climbing to heights of unimaginable wealth. It was clear that this Anima was desired by many for her youthful vigor and other such assets. Among the other bidders was a noblewoman of high status, a Duke, and what suspiciously looked like a vampire. After several minutes the girl’s life was now equal to several bars of platinum, with the cultist leading the bid. Isaac decided to end this and clearly said,
“One hundred Orichalcum.”
The crowd was silent instantly.
Orichalcum was the wealth of Lords and Scions. It was used to measure the wealth of entire nations. To see the precious metal was once in a lifetime, but to posses such a sum was nothing short of myth.
“One hundr-, One hun-, One hundred. Orichal-. Orichalcum. Sold.” The barker said, barely able to believe the massive amount that had just been called.
Everyone in the crowd parted for Isaac as he drew several pouches full of electric blue shards. Each shard was roughly crystalline and speckled with gold. He then tossed them to the barker with elegant ease. Sauntering to the stage he glared at his fellow bidders, daring any to try and harm him.
The barker had dropped the chain in a fluster to catch the exotic metal. Isaac reached down and grasped the chain firmly in his cold hands. He then turned to the crowd and threw back his hood revealing his face. Isaac glared eyes as dark as pitch that smoldered with a malevolent intensity. Everyone stood in silence knowing all too well the stories of Isaac’s brutality and ruthlessness. The girl’s eyes grew in fear upon seeing her new owner. Isaac Vertiage was known among all races as the most murderous and vile mortal to ever be spawned. To be bought by him was nothing less than death.
“The girl is mine. Even look at her in a way I dislike and I will show you your own entrails”
Isaac said this calmly and so naturally that no one in the crowd dared question his seriousness. He then turned to the now shivering girl and spoke softly so no one could hear.
“If you want to live through the next few days,shut up and follow me. Do you have a name girl?” His voice was tense and harsh, speaking as if she was nothing to him.
“A-A-Aussa.” She managed to say as she nodded and tried her best not to move to much as Isaac led her offstage. The manacles covering her wrists were inlaid with spikes that would dig into her wrists drawing blood occasionally. The barker however, had cut her deep when he had jerked the chain, causing her to now bleed heavily. She said nothing, hoping death would be swift and she could at least be free once more in the void.

It was certain now. I had been “bought” by a beast worst than anything I could have imagined. Isaac Vertiage. A Feralis so evil and cruel, my people had created a word just for him, Kovalka. In my village we didn’t even use it and to do so was always punishable. I felt myself bleed and prayed to Father Wolf I would die soon. At least then I wouldn’t have to be near him…

Isaac noticed the girl began to stagger and stumbled to the ground suddenly. She tried to stand up, but began to collapse due to blood loss Isaac knelt beside her and pushed her a bit hoping she was just tired. He looked to see a small pool of berry red blood form around her.
“Shit!” Isaac hissed.
He had just given his whole fortune to afford this girl and she was bleeding out not a few yards from the stage. Isaac place his hand on her throat, feeling her life slowly ebb from her body and eyed a nearby Sanctuary. Isaac made a note to kill the barker after saving the girl. He lifted the girl’s limp form in his arms and carried her to the Templar’s Sanctuary. The Wastes were undoubtedly vile but the Knights Templar gave aid to anyone in need, even here, in this godless land.
Isaac lifted the tent flap and ducked in looking for the closest healer. He scanned the tent, noting several Templar Sentinels, the arm of the organization and all around nuisances. He had never killed any but the stories did insinuate their prowess was only surpassed by Paladins. Templars aside he needed help, even if he loathed asking it from these self righteous dogs.
He spotted the nearest Healer, a small girl wearing the full regalia and scribbling furiously at a scroll. She seemed absorbed In her own little world nary a care about the imposing figure before her.
“Ahem,” He coughed loudly.
The little Healer jumped a few feet when she saw Isaac covered in blood, cradling the girl
“Oh! Lord you scared me.” She said almost apologetically.
Isaac walked closer and eyed the girl sizing her up before asking roughly.
“You’re a Healer right?”
“Umm, I- I’m a-well-yes. Yes I am Alira Hienstad and-“
Isaac cut her off with a deafening kick to the desk sending all her scrolls and ink crashing to the ground.
“Well then, heal her!” He said while pushing the girl roughly into Alira’s arms.
Alira looked at the girl then back at Isaac confused and just was about to speak before Isaac bellowed,
“Now!”
Alira scrambled to the nearest bed and softly laid the girl
“Uh, oh well this looks bad, I think.” She spoke nervously trying her best not to stare at him.
Isaac glared at Alira and spoke
“Well then I suggest you do you gods damned job and fix her!”
Alira nearly cried as his voice unnerved her. She began to chant a strange prayer in an old tongue. She did glance back at him and felt her knees buckle. Even his eyes made her want to faint.
A sentinel noticed this and walked over, hand on his sword hilt.
“Is there a problem, Sir?” he said almost spitting out the last word.
Excellent, Isaac thought, another “hero” to deal with.
“If there was I wouldn’t be standing here now would I, Templar?” Isaac said with equal venom.
The sentinel looked closer and upon seeing Isaac’s scarred visage his face paled.
“You are not welcome here, regardless of who you are.” To punctuate the guard drew his sword and pointed at Isaac.
Isaac smiled as he moved closer to the Sentinel. In the background he could hear Alira still praying and the girl’s breathing become steadier. The sentinel stood like a statue and to his credit showed almost no fear as Isaac drew closer.
Isaac stopped with the blade an inch from his chest.
“Your little Order is allowed here as a courtesy and I believe the Knights and I have a standing treaty, so unless you would like for me to flay you and your pretty little friend alive I suggest you stay quiet and let me tend to my business.”
The Sentinel looked at Alira and growled, “You touch her and I will kill you demon.”
“I doubt you could, Templar, I seriously do.” Isaac said as he walked to the table.
“How is she…Alira, was it?”
“She’ll be fine…Her wounds have been sealed but any activity will break the bonds. Give her a few hours of rest and she’ll be fine.” Alira finished as she muttered once more in the ancient language.
“Good.” Isaac responded. He lifted Aussa off the bed and proceeded to the exit
“Wait, you could reop-“
“I don’t need you anymore, so please be silent.” He said as he walked out.
In the Market he could feel all eyes on him as he carried his “prize”. He did not feel the need to heed the Templars warning. He held the girl steady and safe in his grip. Ironically she was in the safest place in the Wastes. If anyone would try anything he would kill them on the spot.
He walked barely registering the girl’s weight as he strode through the markets making his way to the entrance: keeping a sharp eye on anyone who drew too close. The sun was now retreating back down the horizon, letting night creep over the blood red sky. Isaac noticed her breath had become steady and sighed. His original plan had been to send her ahead and to scour the markets for a few supplies. However her wounds looked far too severe for that. If the gods had a sense of decency, the fresh snow falling did not show it. Luckily what he needed could be found in the wild but would be more hassle for him down the line.
He decided that despite his usual moods, this once he could make an exception and let out a shrill whistle. Before long the sounds of hooves on cobblestones manifested and a horse emerged from the driving snow. The horse shambled forward looking like a nightmare. It was skeletal with bone and flesh showing with almost no coat. The green fire composing its mane also encircled the beast’s hooves. Wherever skin was present it was pale and infected looking.
“Good girl,” he said as he petted the beasts muzzle affectionately.
Isaac gently rolled the girl onto the horses back letting her rest on the animal’s neck. He opened the saddlebags and quickly deposited whatever coin remained. Rummaging through the bags he also produced a worn and faded map. Glancing over the spidery script he traced a path with his finger and muttered to himself. He then joined the girl, scaling the horses back and supporting her sleeping form. There was an inhuman scream as the horse reared and then fled through the oncoming blizzard.

Page Break Here

Thunder shook the sky as rain poured in sheets, bringing Kenric out his reprieve of slumber. His heart beat a fierce tattoo as the murky remains of his nightmare settled back into the depth of his mind. He had bolted upright and had his hand halfway to a shield propped up on the side of his cot.
“Everything alright my love,” A muffled feminine voice asked as a sienna hand slid across his chest reassuringly.
“It’s fine Clair, just another nightmare.” He settled back onto the cot listening to the drum of the rain as it collided with the makeshift tent. By his side was a woman curled up next to him, her face hidden behind a curtain of raven curls.
“If it had been a nightmare you wouldn’t have awoken dear,” Claire said half asleep. She pulled closer to him and placed her head over his chest, giving a smirk.
“Also your heart rate wouldn’t have elevated and you most definitely would not have mentioned Isaac.” She added smugly.

“So nothing escapes you?” He asked half smiling as he grasped her hand in his own.
“Not when it involves my dear husband no.” She responded.
Kenric yawned listening to the soft patter of the rain against the outstretched canvas. Normally he and Claire would have stayed in an inn or church but recent events had made Claire a bit untrusting of his brothers and sisters in arms. A hard feat for the Knights Templar. He shifted upright hearing Claire’s murmur of disapproval.
“Please Kenric, I’m sure those layabouts you call comrades can handle one day without you. Besides its so warm here.” She accentuated her last words with a trailing hand across his broad chest.
He shuffled off the cot and stretched lazily,
“I’m sure they could, but if the rumors are true they are going to need my help.”
Claire followed suit reluctantly dressing herself in her leather trousers while Kenric began the arduous process of suiting up in full Paladin regalia. The heavy plate mail had long ago begun to feel like a second skin, and he felt somewhat exposed without it. Claire however hated it saying it, “Hid his gift of a body from the eyes of the divines,” he however knew she liked him better in something more form fitting.
Claire had strapped on her leather bodice and boots concealing her own body from him. Kenric had joked that her own leather armor made her more cow than woman. He was the only man who could do so without having his throat slashed open. Over her bodice she slipped on a white hooded coat that flowed to the ground.
They both looked once over the other making sure there was no exposed flesh. After that a brief embrace and a small kiss was shared. It was a daily ritual they both enjoyed. Picking up a scabbard and shield Kenric strapped his sword to his hip and placed Aegis on his back, while Claire buckled a belt of knives over her chest and holstered a long dagger into her boot.
Together they walked out into the pouring rain.

It was the long season between rain and fallow fields meaning that this small village had been plagued with problem in the crypts. Soft mud made for an easier escape from the graves and while the town was abuzz with rumors of a Lich laying in the earth the Templars were not as eager to believe.

Several minutes of trodding through the mud, Kenric and Clair arrived at a small wooden church. Inside several Templar Knights stood waiting for him. The contingent consisted of several men and women, some older than Kenric and a handful around his age. As he entered the building he could feel their eyes on him. Respectful and eager to follow his lead.
“Ser Kenric, Lady Claire well met.”
“At ease men.’ Claire said beating Kenric to the command with a playful smirk in the corner of her mouth.
Kenric did not return the look but Claire knew inside he was smiling.
“What do you have to report?”
One of the more eager Knights began without hesitation.
“We’ve noticed the dead rising again but unlike a necromancer’s work there is no spiritual residue...Brother Evans even took a spectral and astral viewing and as far as he can tell no lingering spirits or spectres haunt the catacombs...It’s empty.”

The men surrounding the duo looked on in anticipation

Page Break here

Isaac had stopped after a few hours dismounting the horse silently. Thankfully the snow had subsided. Aussa was still propped against the beast as he removed canvas and some supplies from the saddlebags. He swiftly set up a small tent and began making a fire. Even if he was more than human, the cold chill bit into his bones. He placed a few stones in a small circle creating a dais that he then placed the wood on. After several minutes of fumbling with flint and steel he managed to create a small flicker that he fed several branches to. The snow had made the wood wet and the fire sputtered but Isaac calmly blew onto the flame encouraging it to grow. His patience and tenacity were rewarded a few moments later with a good sized fire.
He then gently pulled Aussa of the horse and wrapped his cloak around her. He gently led her to the fire to warm herself. She was waking up slowly and muttered in her daze a few words that sounded like ‘father’. Isaac shook his head and shivered. His cloak was by all means his only winter garb he owned as it as inlaid with wolf fur. However he suppressed his discomfort and took a seat across from her and the fire grew as he fed it.

He was different, but not in a kind way. He wrapped me in warmth, no doubt to ease me into letting him move in. I did not trust him, his demon lies and only the winter’s howling wind kept his shroud over me.
+

Isaac sat on the opposite side on top of a rotting log, sharpening the scythe he carried. He sat calmly and seemed unaffected by the winds harsh bite. The cold metallic rasp of metal on stone echoed through the trees as Isaac continued his work.
“I don’t want to die.” She said quietly.
Isaac paused and looked at her, lowering the weapon.
“No one wants to die, but everyone does. It’s unstoppable and I can only delay or hasten your demise.” He then proceeded to sharpen his scythe.

“Are you going to kill me?” Aussa asked.
“I spent a fortune buying you, had you healed, and then carried you here. Why would you think I’d kill you? If I’d wanted you dead I would have done it long ago.”
Isaac was cut off as a crossbow bolt slammed into his chest digging into his heart. Arterial blood spurted out in a crimson arc. Isaac slumped to the ground dead, his scythe dropping out off his hands. Aussa stared at the body in disbelief. Here was the infamous Isaac Vertiage, slayer of hundreds, killed by a single arrow. She moved in closer inspecting her would be captor but hearing rustling behind her, Aussa scurried into the wood.
The same cultist from the markets walked out of the shadows leading a small band of followers. He looked pleased as he spotted the slumped corpse, but frowned in displeasure at the girl’s absence.
“Spread out, bring her to me alive and unharmed. The dark ones do not enjoy damaged offerings.”
The group of men scattered into the woods as the leader walked over to Isaac’s body.
?????
The murky air of the marshes began to fade gradually as Isaac led his horse with Aussa riding. He was unmoved by the weather and insects while Aussa swatted at them in frustration and misplaced anger. She hated Isaac more than anyone and his insane plan would get her killed. She had already tried to slit his throat twice, each time he had pulled her close to his prone body and pressed a knife to her abdomen.
“I loathe you murderer.” She spat as he neared the edge of the murky water.
“Be silent Aussa, lest I cut out your tongue. I only need your looks not that overly loud mouth.” To accent his threat he reared his horse causing Aussa to fall into the brackish water. She emerged soaking wet, eyes ablaze with malice. Instinctively she pulled back her clawed hand ready to pounce but Isaac had already leveled his spear at her chest a stern look of warning scrawled across his face.

“I thought we’ve already done this Aussa. You breathe because I want you to.” He then gave a small jab at her chest poking her skin. It was not hard but forceful enough to draw a droplet of blood.
Her rage grew but she subsided her attack and obediently returned to the horse. Several hours passed in silence until they stumbled upon something. Isaac grimaced from a distance but Aussa was curious until it slowly came into view. A charred husk of a home sat collapsed and broken, like a skeleton jutting from the earth. A small girl sat crying pinned beneath a beam her body battered and withered. Aussa immediately rushed to her trying her best to comfort the child but only met with harsher cries and a language she could not understand.
Isaac knelt before the girl and spoke in the same harsh tongue acting almost…caring. Isaac nodded as he then took the beam and hefted up, letting the girl crawl out slowly. When she cleared the debris Isaac let the beam fall, stirring a small gust of ash.
Aussa moved to comfort the child but the girl scurried to Isaac who cradled her in his arms effortlessly. Aussa Tried to warn the child to signal her of the danger but Isaac spoke once more looking at the girl sadly. The child whimpered and Isaac gave her one last sad smile before setting her down and in one swift stroke beheaded the girl. Aussa screamed and lunged for Isaac, rage filling her every fiber. She wanted to tear to kill, to destroy this beast that had stolen that child’s life. The skeletal corpse slumped to the ground while Isaac replaced the scythe on his back.
Isaac intercepted the feral anima with ease tossing her aside almost effortlessly.
“You fucking animal! That child wanted help and you…you…” Her shrieks devolved into pure guttural screams as he pinned her down on her back with his boot on her chest.
“Shut up.” He said calmly as if he had not just murdered a child. He grabbed his spear and leveled it at her neck pushing hard enough to hurt but lightly enough to not draw blood.
“I need you to calm down Aussa. I would hate to have to kill you now.” He then removed the spear and set his other boot on her throat. Pushing down he made her gasp and struggle for breath.
“I will not hesitate to kill you though…I thought I had made it clear already, a good servant does not question her master.” His voice had lost any trace of humanity or compassion. Instead it sounded cold and hollow.
Aussa could barely breathe but she managed to gasp, “Fuck you monster!”
Isaac glared and she felt a sudden chill creep in the air and before she could blink he had hauled up by her neck, his hand cold and firm. She was inches from his face, wearing a mask of pure cold hate. He bared his teeth and looked somehow inhuman,
“I am no monster!” he then threw her to the ground roughly and turned back to his horse. Aussa could not suppress a yelp as the ground bruised her body.
“You stupid animal! How dare you call me a monster? Did I steal you from your home and sell you to anyone? Who saved you after your attempt at suicide? Did I even attempt to defile you once? Have I ever struck you despite your multiple attempts to kill me?”
He spoke harshly advancing on her, the anima’s body shaking for fear of him. He was soon above her his body shaking from rage.
“Dammit Hilda I-“
He stopped mid sentence. For only a second Isaac looked like a knife had been slipped between his ribs. Shocked and confused. Immediately though the look vanished and was replaced with one of grim determination. For several seconds silence remained in the air as Isaac breathed and Aussa’s heart roared in her ears.
“Gather yourself Aussa…we have much more ground to cover before nightfall.” His voice had returned to its cold indifferent tone. Aussa noticed that despite his calm appearance his fists were clenched hard enough to turn his knuckles white. He looked almost defeated.
Aussa stood and walked to Isaac. She stood beside him watching his face, it was the same look as before, of cunning and hate but she had now seen a crack in it. Beneath his calm was a storm of anger. She desperately wanted to use that to her advantage but something else about his words and voice touched her. It took several minutes before she realized it was hurt.
As far as he was concerned she no longer existed. Walking away he led his horse and did nothing to acknowledge Aussa. The girl had not only insulted him but she had managed to bring up several things Isaac had assumed he had dealt with. He had been only seconds away from killing her, why she had been able to provoke such a reaction scared him.
He checked in the corner of his eye, she was still following albeit a bit closer than before. Isaac felt a tinge of remorse. He had lashed out at her, even if provoked, it was wrong. She had not known the girl was long since the point of saving. She had been trapped for weeks, her body eating itself in a slow painful march to death. All Isaac had done was give her a painless death, one to replace her torture. But Aussa did not see that. She saw a killer simply make another victim.
He had to live with it though, she would not believe him. Soon they would be out of the Wastes and while she was bound to stay with him for protection for now, Aussa would have to choose to stay with him, an option that grew less likely as they traveled.
The pair continued to travel in silence as they day grew long and lasted until the next morning.
Upon awaking Aussa noticed that beside her cot was a flower, a peculiar plant that had petals fanning out as if the bud were ablaze.
“It’s a fireblossom…protects against nightmares.” Isaac spoke from across a fire without looking up.
“You were thrashing in your sleep.” He answered once more to her puzzled expression.
“And why are you watching me sleep?” She asked venomously. Isaac had now begun to put out the fire and packing up the makeshift camp.
Isaac didn’t answer which infuriated her. Still the flower was beautiful and she made an effort it to conceal the fact that she slipped it into her robe’s pocket.
The days dragged on as the duo traversed the Wastes. Many nights Aussa would attempt to kill Isaac again, each time foiled with ease. He would always be gentle and firm when restraining her, keeping her bound for a day then releasing her. She would wonder why he simply didn’t keep her bound and made it a point to ask one day.
“You’re not my captive…merely a servant.” He responded.
After almost a week she stop trying to kill him. She was rewarded soon afterwards.
“Here, maybe I’ll teach you to use it.” Isaac said as he tossed her a sword. It was a short single edged blade. The sheath and pommel were an azure blue and a tassel hung from the guard.
The sword was soon a familiar weight on her hip and true to his word Isaac would sporadically tell her to draw it and spar with her.
“There is no better teacher than experience.” Soon Aussa forgot to hate him and accepted her fate. Resistance was met with punishment, while compliance was rewarded. After almost a month of traveling she began to think of Isaac not as her captor or jailer but as a master or mentor.

The days melted by in a blur

So ere is a later part of the story I wrote. If you want/need context I'll fill it in but until then its just a look into the later dynamics of the main duo's travels.

Isaac felt the words cut worse than any blade.
“I’m sorry Isaac.”
A second wave of revulsion and pain hit causing his head to spin. He tried to stem the onslaught of emotions but was swiftly swept away.
Rage, hate, fear, sorrow, loneliness and countless others pushed pass years of repression and denial. He had just revealed his most vulnerable side and Aussa stabbed him directly in the heart.
“I’m going to live with Duncan. You’re welcome to stay as long as you like but I can’t follow with you.”
She twisted the knife deeper in.
He staggered back and forced a wry look.
“No that’s not necessary Aussa. I will be leaving tonight.”
He turned to leave and started to walk when he felt a tug on his arm.
“Don’t leave just because of this Isaac. I’m still your ally and friend.” Aussa said as she held him back.
Isaac turned and struck her, causing her to stagger, a look of shock scrawled on her face.
“I am not your ally nor your friend. I did not toy with you or lie about my love for you. You are nothing but poison to me, a venom that robbed me of my life and vengeance. I don’t ever want to see you and if you follow me, I will kill you.” He said in the same voice he had used when addressing Nealux.
Tears formed in her eyes as he stormed off and she couldn’t stop the pangs of hurt from digging barbs deep into her heart.
“ Isaac I didn’t-“
“Don’t you dare lie again to me, you filthy beast.” He roared burying a fist into the wall. Isaac felt the slow drip of blood form but ignored it.
Aussa flinched at his insult.
“I swore my love to you, as did you when Lord Nealux lay dead. I swore to never stray and to protect you but one glance from that bastard Count and your oaths turned to ashes in your mouth. I thought I was enough but it seems I was mistaken once more.”
Isaac did not stop his body from slowly changing into its Archonic form. Dark tendrils swirled around him in a perverted embrace. He walked away as his talons clicked on the marble floor and his head hung low. Aussa could swear she saw tears fall to the floor but remembered that she two was crying.

Isaac stormed away his insides ripping themselves to shreds in pain and grief. He hated her! She had given him everything, showed him the warmth of love and affection he had been denied for years and then selfishly took it all away for some smarmy bastard!
He wanted to yell and tear everything apart, burn down everything, but a small nagging thought kept returning.
If you really love her, can you be angry at her for finding her own happiness?
But it’s not with me! She was everything to me and to throw it all away for someone she just met? I hate her!

He felt small ripple over his consciousness. Thantos stood before him smiling.
“Well, looks like I might get to taste the fine delicacy after all.”
Isaac threw his dagger at the apparition, knowing full well it would do nothing as it passed through. But the act alone made himself feel a bit better.
“She is still mine. Mine to kill, mine to hold, mine to...”
He trailed off. He was wrong. He had set her free months ago. She had stayed with him until now by choice, something he felt made the pain much worse.
He slowly went to his room, gliding past the empty halls and dim candlelight.

In his room he felt all of the rage boil over as he roared and swung the scythe into his bed, the dull thud not even remotely satisfying he looked at the mirror his own chitinous hide and horns making him look like a demon. He smashed a fist into the glass letting his claws rend into the dresser and started clawing at anything he could reach. His roars echoed throughout the entire estate, cries of anguish and hurt mixed with his guttural bellows.

“Now now...is that anyway for a guest to act?”
Isaac whirled to the doorway his whole body tense with fury. The count stood there smirking.
“A dumb beast, ill refined and not fit for any trappings of civility...” Isaac snarled and tensed his body instinctively ready to tear into the count.
“Relax Isaac...I was merely referring to my “beloved”, that little whore you brought to me. I must admit I’ve not had Anima in over-”
“I WILL TEAR YOU OPEN!!!!!” Isaac surged forward, Thantos in claw, swinging the weapon at the count.
He swung it with the strength that dwarfed any mortal. The blade slid into the wall and glided out with ease.
“AUSSA IS MINE!!!SHE IS MINE!! I’LL KILL YOU!!!” Isaac swung the scythe with no regard for any of his surroundings as it took Count Simon everything to not be cut in two. Furniture and any trappings on the wall were shredded as he continued his rampage. He had seen Isaac in action but his anger now made him unpredictable.The Count’s normally calm and collected veneer peeled away to show his fear. The blade swiped at his chest slicing the fabric of his suit drawing a line of red from his chest.

Back
Top Bottom