Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Where it all started (Brainy Girl x Source Code)

andypants1990

Planetoid
What a glorious day in the kingdom of Thalrin! Sun up above framed perfectly besides the clouds, lush fields of green crop circling the kingdom. Farmers awakening to start their daily harvest,.The kingdom of Life, Thalrin, was the symbol of humanity. Where Spirits and man coexisted, where peace thrived and prosperity followed. In perfect unity with the four other kingdoms Thalrin is the center of the known world. One large continent in the vastness of the seas of the planet. Being the center granted trade, diverse cultures and thinking, and above all else wealth! Even for peasants, no man or family went hungry. But it is in Thalrin that our story begins, where the fate of the world rests in the hands of one woman.

There would come a rapping at Phaele's door, quick successions of knocking in the early morning. “Phaele! It is time to wake up, you have to get dressed and ready for your meeting with your uncle today. He has much to discuss with you about your future and suitors!” Came the familiar voice of Durihan. Durihan was a man maybe a year or two older then Phaele, a man that was honest and loyal and served the royal family as a knight. Once Phaele had become of age she had been assigned a bodyguard to be with her where she went. Be it to other kingdoms or outside the castle walls, Durihan would follow. A man of six feet, he had brown hair that was usually kept short and brushed back behind his ears. A set of dark green eyes always alert and ready for situations. Around the castle he didn't wear his normal suit of armor, wearing a nice pair of pants and a tunic of sorts with the royal crest on it's front. A pair of boots adorned his feet as well as a sword which was fastened in place by his belt. “Phaele!!! Open the door! I won't let you sneak out from this just cause you don't want to talk about your suitors!” Durihan protested, knocking on the door again as he waited.

Contrary to popular opinion, the princess was not by any means, impressed with her suitors. She had of course known of them, even if she hadn't met them--her days were often spent skipping repetitive and boring classes on stupid "Womanly Arts" to wander around the market and talk to locals. It beat sewing and idle gossip of her sisters and cousins. Out of all the noble ladies in Thalrin, Phaele was likely to be the most known and loved by the common folk. Often found with a Sprite known as Senna, the pair often brought fresh fruit to the children of the capitol that was sweeter than any cake a chef could bake. She did other things as well; she learned about weathers and different kinds of crops from the local farmers, what wild plants were good for dye, food, and remedies from their wives, and even learned a few card tricks from the sailors at the docks.

Her contact with the commonfolk was a bit unorthodox but it wasn't anything too serious. After all, her brother Kaelum was going to be king, and her two sisters where betrothed to high ranking officials as suiting the royal family. It was silly to think she should have to get married too. She wasn't even close to the throne and therefore was not as important as her sisters or her brother.

Which brought her to her suitors. Two were almost about the age of her father, their hair flecked with grey, and the other was at least ten years older than her father having outlived two previous wives. As a maid of 18 years she wanted no part in being his third, despite his kindness with her. And the other two? Well they just stayed cooped up in their castles, leading people from a distance. What a boring life that would be!

“Phaele!!! Open the door! I won't let you sneak out from this just cause you don't want to talk about your suitors!”

The princess sighed. Of course Durihan figured out her hesitation. He of all people knew how she would be up a couple hours before dawn, if only to sit in her garden and listen to the birds. Staying in past mid-morning was almost unheard of to the people of the court. Phaele was too, well, curious to stay in bed.

She moved from her small reading alcove by the window to get to the door. Her room was certainly the smallest out of everyone's, taking about only ten steps to get to one side from the other, but all her walls were lined with books. Her bed was a bit smaller than her siblings as well, but was certainly the most colorful, forsaking plain silks for various colors of fabrics she found during her travels. However the most important thing to Phaele about her room were the windows. Both the ceiling and the walls were more glass than stone, and not just any glass either--but the colored glass of the temples. Her room was as colorful and bright as she was, even if it lacked her sisters' gaudy furniture and decorations and replaced them with a simple redwood dest and chair and dressing bench.

Opening the door, Phaele met her knight's eye. "Oh come on Durihan, you can't expect me to go today--there is the festival today. How fun would it be to go see some jugglers or firebreathers? you know you want to!" Talking Durihan into such things were hit or miss. She could tell that the knight appreciated her friendship with him, but she also knew that his duty would always come before any kind of fun. However she had hoped that maybe her plan might work, if for no other reason than her purposeful underdressing of the event her uncle planned. She wore a simple violet gown with silver laced sleeves. Her bodice was tight and modest, showing only the slightest hint of her womanly breasts. It was her hair that was the real casualness though, as she let her long honey colored locks only stay in a loose bun with the simplest of hair nets keeping it in place.

Her blue eyes shone earnestly at the knight, "There could be some tourney games as well, you could sign up for the sword or maybe tilt a few lances..."

“Of course I can expect you to go today. In fact I do expect you to go today. Because after you appease your Uncle you can then go to the festival.” Durihan said as he set his hands on his hips, glaring at her but not in any cruel or mean way. Just in the way like a teacher or parent would glare at a student or child that they were onto them. That whatever Phaele was up too Durihan wouldn't let it happen. “And I am not arguing that it won't be fun, but you are royalty. You have to take care of business and the needs of others before you have fun. People are depending upon you and you know that already. Why do I have to keep telling you?” Durihan asked with a little grumble in his voice. But then again Phaele was always a stubborn one. Even in the face of reason if she didn't want to do something more then likely she wouldn't.

And this was no different of a situation. Instead of walking down the halls of the castle, Phaele and Durihan would be walking to the stables of the castle. Instead of sitting down for breakfast and idle conversation with her Uncles, Phaele and Durihan would be sitting down on saddles. And of cousre... Instead of talking about suitors and the proper etiquette that followed... Phaele would talk to Durihan about all the fun things they would do. The girl more then buttering up the knight with promises of tourney games and swordsmanship. One only imagined why they weren't stopped. Maybe the guards felt the same way that Phaele did about herself, that she was so far from the throne that it didn't matter. But she was still royalty, she stilled needed protection right? Durihan simply waving the guards off as Phaele and himself passed by the castle gates on horse back.

Just like Phaele had said there was a festival going on. And even though it was still morning the festival was in full swing. Jugglers juggling sticks and knives, fire breathers breathing fire. It was quite the event and one that happened every two years in fact. With a rumble in their stomachs the two would stop for some delicious and sweet festival food. Kids running around in masks, even spirits that looked to be children themselves ran hand in hand with human kids. There were a number of spirits trying to sell wares even, and since Thalrin was an open hub for travelers the festival was the perfect opportunity for visiting spirits. Fire spirits from the north really was all that visited. The Earth spirits stayed in their forests where most of the water spirits were absent. Any wind spirits usually stayed briefly, finding more joy in moving with the wind then staying in one spot.

“Where is Senna your highness? I have expect her magic abilities is detecting when you are out of the castle.” Durihan stated, laughing before a child came up to pull on his pants. The man looking down to find a child reaching up to him, wanting to ride on his shoulders. This made Durihan laughed, quick to pick the child up and settle him on his shoulders, each leg dangling off in front of him as he walked. One thing was for sure. If you walked with Phaele, people expected you to be as generous and caring as she was. And boy was Phaele caring for her people.

There certainly were a lot of children about. If she could pick one thing she love most of all about her status, it was the fact that she could see the children of her people with so much joy and to be able to walk the streets without them fearing her or being apprehensive. Whenever her brother walked the streets people kept their babes hushed and proper out of respect. Over the years Phaele had succeeded in more or less being seen as a big sister to most of them and even a second mother to a few. The people were still a little more hesitant around her older, more important siblings, but if for whatever reason she was walking out with her brother or sisters they learned it was okay to let the children be just that, children.

She giggled as she passed out a few sweets to the masked ones that ran by, humans and spirits both. She talked to Durihan excitedly pointing out the sights and attractions with ease, totally ignoring any potential consequences her uncles may impose on her later. Going through the better portion of the morning with Durihan, namely small swordplay competitions and dances, it was easy to forget about Senna. The honey-peach spirit nearly always swooped down into her company in one form or another as soon as she felt her out of the castle. Her brow knitted into an expression of mild worry at the mention of her friend.

"I...haven't seen her. No birds either, she always sends a bird if she cannot see me..."

The festival was something Senna always took pride in, a celebration of sun and hope she called it--even if it seemed to be more about costumes and honey-peaches to the princess. She shrugged and put on a face of calm. "I'm sure she is around here, probably making sure those climbing the trees today don't get into too much trouble," she said motioning to the tall line of trees lining the west wall of the city. Even if she was worried about the lack of contact, she would rather not show it in the company of those that depended on her tact and assertiveness.

Looking up to the little boy on her knight's shoulder's she gave a big grin. "But I am so happy with my wonderful strong knight that I may just kiss him all morning and leave Senna behind." Predictably the boy made a sound of disgust and she helped in setting him back on the ground to go run with his peers. It was only then, isolated by a wall of sound and activity that she spoke seriously to her companion.

"Senna has been rather distant lately. All the spirits have if you look closely enough. None seem to want to be around the royal family. And this is the first festival I've seen without a water spirit," her quiet voice said slowly as she looked through the crowd. "Perhaps I'm just over analyzing, but haven't the spirits seemed tense lately? I have been so busy with this marriage nonsense that I didn't notice at first, but the last few months I have yet to have Senna fully at ease with me. And this is Senna, she's known me since I was running around in those masks."

When Phaele spoke of kissing Durihan all morning he would play the part of the boy as well, making sounds of disgust with a smile on his face. Soon setting the boy down and watching as hew as quick to join his friends. It was obvious with Phaele's concern in her voice that she was troubled. On this joyous of events the girl started piecing together things that probably didn't match up. Yes the spirits had been a little wary as of late, and yes there had been a lack of water spirits, but there has always been a lack of water spirits. Durihan brought his arm up, placing it around Phaele's shoulders as he smiled. “I wouldn't worry too much your highness. In fact I think we should-” However before Durihan could finish the two of them would be stopped.

Four men stood wearing nothing but black, their chests holding the crest of the royal family with a pair of swords crossed at the bottom. That was the crest of Phaele's Uncle. These must have been his personal guards. They had been so quick to surround Phaele and Durihan, two behind them and two in front of them. “You have a meeting with his highness.” One of the men stated, they didn't have their weapons drawn but a few had their hands on the ends of their weapons. “One that you will not run from Princess.” The same man continued, he had a scar running down the side of his face. Probably the leader of the four. Durihan was quick to remove his arm from around Phaele's shoulder, this became more serious and he hated to throw disrespect or confusion into royal matters.

“The Princess simply wanted to see her people and the festival before her meeting. I apologize for losing track of time, we will-” However Durihan would be cut off again. “Did I address you? Know your place behind the princess and stay there.” The man with the scar stated, Durihan looking at him like he was some kind of idiot for speaking like that. It was obvious that these men intended to take Phaele back herself. Durihan looking at Phaele for a few moments before smirking. The two didn't need to talk to one another understand that they would be running in two seconds... One second. The two quickly dashed to the side, racing through a crowd of people as their party of ill wanted followers were quick to follow.

“We got to get on the roof tops!” Durihan shouted, a smile on his face as he grabbed hold of Phaele's hand. More to direct her and help her along then actually pulling her. From alleyway to alleyway, dodging between groups of people after groups of people, Phaele and Durihan would be quick on their feet. Where they were swift and precise their followers would be rushing into people, knocking them over and barrels over in their pursuit. Durihan leading Phaele to the market place, knowing that there was an abundance of crates to get up on there.

Once they made it Durihan would lead the way up one of the alleyway's crate, turning to help Phaele as well. When they had gotten on the roof their followers had just got to the alleyway, Durihan quick to start running again. Rooftop after rooftop the two would race, more with each other then the guards at this point. All the way until they had to leap further then they were used too. Durihan jumping first and clearing the distance, turning to Phaele with a happy grin on his face. “Come on! I will catch you!!” Durihan stated, arms wide open for Phaele's leap.

Flushing with excitement, their journey was one of twists and turns, but mostly laughter. If there was one thing that the youngest princess could do, it was be the most slippery person to try to catch. She had ran with Senna her whole life it had seemed, and even when the damned spirit would cheat, Phaele had grown to beat her on...well...occasion. But against most any human she was more than evenly matched and had more than once outrun knights, nurses, and just about anyone else with legs. So being chased by her uncle's guards was a little more than tacky, and probably gave the wrong impression that she was some irresponsible kid. Choosing not to think too much on that though she instead let herself enjoy the rush of adrenaline and the laughter that came with it.

When they came upon the jump she felt herself slow down a little. It was at least a twenty foot jump, could she make that? She watched in eagerness as Durihan sailed to the other side, but it wasn't until his prodding that she had the courage to back up to get a good running start. She let all her speed come out as she ran to the ledge before she jumped, long and fluid in the air for what seemed like an eternity before Durihan "caught" her, and he fell on his back with a giggle breathless Princess on top of him.

"You know..." She started between breaths, "You certainly aren't helping me in this whole being a lady thing." She had a wide cheeky grin, obviously teasing him. "What a terrible knight you are, led astray by a silly girl promising you tourney games." There was the unspoken scolding that they both knew was going to happen as soon as they walked back to the castle hanging between them. She just hoped it was present by her uncle rather than her siblings, or gods help her, her father. "Maybe you should join Maedine's knights. They'll put you back in line." Her eldest sister was notoriously prissy about her knights. Wanting them to show the utmost respect at pretty much all times despite knowing each other for so long. If Phaele didn't take her standing seriously enough, than Maedine took hers far too seriously. Her sweet sister was always spoke in perfect etiquette, busied herself with memorization of different stitches and courtly affairs of the royal houses. When she was not playing the perfect princess she was flirting with her betrothed, a young handsome man of twenty-four, safely in the castle grounds and within eyesight of their nurse Lady Kaash.

"Just think about it, you could call me 'princess' and 'my lady' every single time you see me and listen to Maedine rant about how kind and lovely and sweet her Lord husband will be."

Durihan was laughing too once they were now safe on this roof top, a smile on his face as he looked up at the Princess now laying on top of him. He had caught her so his hands were on her hips now, though any implications other then safety were far from his mind as they started to catch their breaths. “What do you mean? I must say you are quite the lady. Mind you jumping off rooftops isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a lady but that doesn't make you not a lady!” Durihan stated, his breath heightened as he got another case of the giggles. Of course she then told him that he was such a terrible knight being led astray by a silly girl and the promise of tourney games, Durihan sighing softly in content and nodding his head... It all was true!

Since the two weren't in royal company or anywhere near a servant that could spread rumors, Durihan made a face of disgust once Phaele brought up her sister. The last thing he needed was for Maedine to tell him how sloppy of a knight he was, how not to sloach, how a monkey would do a better job protecting her sister. Truly the woman had it out for him and he only imagined how miserable her personal knights must be. Then again her personal knights were just as uptight and seemed to share Maedine's views. Be it fate or good fortune Durihan was tasked to Phaele's care. With that the two would get up, Durihan patting down Phaele for a few moments before patting himself down. “Come on! We can still make it to the Grand Tournament!” Durihan said with a smirk, Phaele could see the sparkle in his eye when he spoke of it.

The Grand Tournament was a sort of free reign welcome to any fighter from any of the lands. More or less matches to find who is the strongest among the lands. Durihan grew up watching these and hoped one day to join them, however the major Grand Tournament was off limits to royal knights, any spots available taken up by the Life Kingdom's soldiers. Durihan would help Phaele down, quick to grab her hand like many times before to lead her through the people.

They would come to the arena that was built more or less in the middle of the festival grounds, really it was jut a large square blocked off by chains and four posts. But inside, warriors fought. This was no death match though, no armor and no sharpened weapons. They actually given wooden weapons to fight with, ranging from staffs to swords to even hammers if that was your choice. And boy was their a selection. Barbarians from the North wielding wooden hammers and two handed swords, cut throat assassins from the west with wooden knifes and short swords, even a few western warriors that preferred staffs. Yes the Grand Tournament was full of color fighters, but only one could be crowned champion. The fights were actually underway, two competitors swinging at one another to try. People cheering as they gathered around. Spirits however were not allowed to fight, mostly due to their natural advantages.

Back
Top Bottom