Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Cursed Mirror | DontxBlinkk et Kathria

"Annette," he repeated slowly as the woman moved. Once she took her spot, he leaned forward slightly, taking the pitcher from her hands for half a second before it was taken from his hands by another woman. He gave Annette another look over now that she was in her new clothing before smoothly sitting back once again. "Someone decided to carve your name into the back of the mirror," he informed her, his hand running over his cup while his eyes lingered on Annette, tracing the form coming out from beneath the new robes. It wasn't anything as tight as what she had on but Sebek was pleased with it. "In my handwriting. I'm quite bothered by the idea that some ow you got a hold of someone who knew my writing well enough to copy it." He brought his feet up on either side of the woman, resting the bottom of his sandals on the table behind her, trapping her inside his small prison.

"You claim you just got to this city, that you didn't recognize my brother nor myself when we found you." His eyes locked with Annette's, challenging her to argue with him. "Then please, tell me how you did it? Was it truly the gods? Or is it a strange, new magick?" He took another sip, allowing the glass to linger on his bottom lip as he waited for an answer from the woman. "I'm curious. Can you out do our priests?" It had been years since he watched priests argue with each other and in the end the two that are in charge now won. Sebek raised his eyebrows as he took another drink, letting his vision keep a sharp grip on his new servant.

Annette didn't want him to take the pitcher away from her, but she didn't fight him when he reached for it. Slowly she released the pitcher and watched as he handed it off to another servant. He had said her name, this time properly and Annette stood up straight as she looked at the prince. He spoke again then and her brows furrowed. So..it was his handwriting? Now he was accusing her of finding someone that knew Sebek's handwriting well enough to copy it. Annette was tense. She didn't know what to say, or how to get out of this. "I don't know anyone in the city. I didn't even know your name. I don't even know your father's name." Annette admitted as she frowned at Sebek, but she knew in this situation he could easily have her killed off at any second.

He wanted to argue, that much was evident in the way he looked at her. Annette was not much for fighting, for arguing, but she knew if she had to she would. She looked at his leg that had trapped her in, no doubt this was the reason he had wanted her to stand here so she couldn't run. "I don't know how I came to your city. I just woke up and I was here and that's the truth." Annette protested as she looked at Sebek quite angry that she was still being accused. "I didn't do anything. I'm not even sure how I got here to begin with and I don't even want to be here!" Annette had balled her hands up in fists, she was angry that she was in this situation, that she was still on the accused. Annette shook her head. She had a temper that much was evident. "If I had known you or your brother, do you think I would put my name on the back of the mirror when you can't even pronounce it? To begin with none of you even know me or where I'm from or how I got here and I can't even tell you that."

More silence covered the room. Sebek furrowed his brows for a moment only to raise another in curiousity. "At least you story is consistent," he admitted, taking a sip of his drink. "Where are you from then? You can tell me that much." He leaned forward, reaching around his new servant for a second cup and held it out. The woman who took the jug came, filled it and backed away in one quick motion. "I do believe you were sent by the gods, but often times they don't tell people things like this. We'll pretend that's what happened. How does that sound?" He offered the cup to Annette And removed one leg to let her free. "Have a drink. The palace is tense enough. We don't need my room in trouble as well."

With his free hand, Sebek made a light grab at Annette's side, feeling just how skinny or plump she was. It didn't last long, just a quick squeeze but it gave the prince plenty of information. He let her go after that and picked up one of the many pieces of fruit and began to eat, still waiting for a response from the woman.

As the silence covered the room, she waited for something for anything bad to happen. Instead she narrowed her eyes as his brows moved on his face and he spoke again, then the questions poured out. Where was she from? Well how exactly did he tell him that? That she came from the future and while looking at the mirror through glass suddenly awoke here? She could already see his reaction, he would laugh and probably mock her. Annette sighed only to tense up when he leaned forward too close for comfort. She moved her hands in front of her chest ready to push him back if need be but instead he moved back on his own with a jug and let a servant fill it. Annette watched silently as the woman filled it, a bit curious as he removed his leg. He was offering her a drink, but Annette wasn't sure she wanted it. Still she knew better than to say no to him and took the jug anyways, but just held it in her hands as she looked at him.

Annette jumped when the grab at her side came. She was skinny, her muscles toned and her body was curvy and petite at best. Still, her being his servant didn't give him any right to grab at her like that, at least not for Annette. Annette glared at him as she shuffled back when he released her and huffed a bit. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you." Annette admitted, unsure of how else to answer the prince's question. She watched as he chewed on a bit of fruit before taking a sip of the wine. She didn't feel comfortable taking anymore and moved to place the cup down before aiming to move away from this awkward position infront of the prince.

Sebek lowered the glass again and took another bite. "Mm, are you one of those from Jerusalem?" he asked, calmly looking deep into her eyes. "Plenty of the Jews have come here lately. Greece?" Her skin was still too light to be from Greece, but it was completely possible. They had recently found the other culture and were still learning auite a bit from them. The was a chance that they had members of their cities with skin as light as hers. The prince didn't seem to want to stop. This woman was both curious.and beautiful; a treasure that he wanted to keep for himself. That was one of the reasons why he spoke up against killing her. But now that she was here, he had to figure out her true purpose.

"Not that it much matters. You're here now." He just had to remind her she was stuck here, in his palace... In his bedroom, under his command. Sebek took another sip before letting out a smooth, tired sigh. "Do you have any skills?" he asked, raising an eyebrow again. "Other than standing pretty." She was here, so it was time to tease her. Lightly at first hut it would grow with time. Sebek held a good relationship with his servants and they were willing to go along with his crazy ideas at time.

Annette looked back at him furrowing his brows as he started listing off places she might come from. He thought she was a Jew? annette shook her head. Then he asked about Greece. She had been to Greece once or twice, but she was not from there. "No. I'm not from around here." Annette said as she looked at him. Though she was hinting more at the time period than anything else. She needed to think. Some place she came from that might make sense with the color of her skin and hair from this time period. Had the Egyptians started trading with the Romans yet? She had remembered reading about that in some books. How they had often had parties in the market with gladiators and the Egyptian slaves. Still, that could have been a ways off from what time line she had stepped into and Annette sighed. She really knew a lot about Egypt, but she knew nothing about this period she was in with this mysterious Pharaoh and his sons. Annette placed her hands on her hips causing the fabric to get drawn in on her sides as she looked up thinking. She still needed to say something, at least for now to get him off her back. Then a thought came to her. A place Egyptians would never go and had never been, but someone her hair and skin would make sense. Still the question would come up how she got here exactly and Annette would not be able to answer, she only had a lie about where she came from. One they couldn't contest. "Scotland." It wasn't really a lie in a way. Annette had family in modern Scotland and she had lived there a few years with her grandparents, but ancient Scotland? No, she didn't live there. Still, she wanted the prince to try and contest that place where she came from when she knew he couldn't.

She looked at him as he continued to speak. It almost sounded like she was property now and Annette wanted so badly to smack him, but she knew better. In modern times it would have been fine to smac a man for talking like this, but for this time period it was normal. She bit her inner lip trying to refrain from saying anything stupid or harsh. Annette was a bit surprised when he asked if she had any talents and teased her. She raised a brow a bit and huffed as she crossed her arms over her chest. Talents? Well Annette had a few but she doubt they would be any good for this time period. Still it beat fetching his wine. "Sculpting, drawing." Annette shrugged, it was true. "I can do some cooking but not anything like your type of food." She waved her hands a bit before letting them fall to her sides. She should have said something else, something to maybe place herself further away from him and the palace, but she doubt saying that would work. It wasn't like the prince was bad looking, it was just the fact Annette was being trapped and held as a servant. She just wanted a bit of her freedoms back, she looked at the prince. What else did she know how to do that was good for this time period? "I can make pottery..." Annette let the rest slip ..but I usually end up breaking it because it bores me to tears.. She could have listed off a few more things. Like reading, writing, that she was a good scavenger and she knew how to build things or fix them, but she could already see the kinds of looks she would have gotten. Instead she had listed some things she could do. Some things that women could do and probably shouldn't have. Then again, he didn't know what they did where she 'came' from.

'Scotland?[/]' That was some place Sebek had never heard of, which was rare for someone so close to the pharaoh. But he accepted the answer with a low hum, relaxing again with bits of the food given to him. Rome was still an early port of trade for the Egyptians, only recently found and contacted. They had mastered trade over the desert and was now, slowly, moving into water travel. It was a slow process, as the seas were larger than they ever thought they were, but with both cultures working together, things were moving along nicely. Sebek could do nothing but take her answer and believe it, which he did, making sure to store the country's name in the back of his mind. It may come in handy later on.

As for the woman's skills... she could cook and had some talents in the arts but nothing important to him. The prince sighed, pushing himself up out of the chair before lifting the glass he had beside him. "I'd let you in the kitchen, but I doubt you'd like to work with the slaves," he thought aloud, stepping towards the closest open window. The scent of the Nile filled his senses as he leaned on the sill, watching several of the boats travel by, preparing to dock for the night at the closest port. Again, he took a sip, this time allowing it to turn into a long gulp, allowing him to finish the wine in one tip of the glass. He set it beside him and rose once again, drumming his fingers lightly on the stone, playing out an almost tribal desert beat. The man let out a low hum before turning around, leaning against the base of the window and crossing his arms over his chest. "I can have our potter visit you tomorrow," he informed her. He didn't want her to do any sort of hard labour. Servants under him never had the chance to do that sort of work, which they were quite thankful for. They knew what sort of work the slaves were in charge of and many of the women would rather suffer death than do that work.

Drawing in a slow breath, Sebek lifted the cup and started back to the table. "Unless you would care to join me tomorrow while I'm out." His eyes settled on the woman again, tracing over the faint freckles on her face once again. "A monument is being raised for my brother," he informed her, releasing an aggravated sigh behind it. "Again. You'd understand that, would you not? You weren't of the working class back in... Scotland... You're far too frail." He raised his eyebrows smoothly. "Impossible that you'd be able to work and still keep your skin how it is."

Annette stood still as Sebek said the country on his tongue. It was evident that he knew nothing about this country and she was finally thankful for that. A lie had gone through and she relaxing a little bit at that. Annette blinked when he sighed and watched as he lifted the glass to his lips. He spoke then, his thoughts out loud about her working in the kitchen. Her hands dropped to her sides and her lips twitched. Was it really a concern of his that she was working with slaves? She was a servant anyways so working with slaves and doing something she knew how to do would be much better than doing this. Then again Annette thought about it. Maybe he didn't want her to work in the kitchen because he wanted to keep her close. It would make sense why he saved her. Not just because he wanted to interrogate her about the writing on the back of the mirror but because he was interested in her sexually. The thought caused her eyebrow to twitch. Annette could think of the many reactions she could or might give the prince if he laid his hands on her without asking. She knew it would end badly for her, if she struck him, but in the end it would just be Annette's automatic reaction. She had been able to stand him touching her briefly so he could look at her, but anything more would really send Annette off the edge.

She was completely silent as he stood up and went to look out at the Nile. Annette just stared at him for a moment. “What would you have me do then? Continue to fetch your wine?” Annette wanted to mock him, but instead she tried her best to bite her tongue of its annoyed tone. Her attention turned to the boots in the distance. She could hear the birds chirping over head and the water sloshing around the ships as they moved. If they were silent enough they could probably make out the faint voices in the distance as people yelled.

When the prince proposed something to Annette her attention returned to him. He had finished his glass as she had noted before having set it down to arise again. He wanted the potter to visit her? Probably to test her skills to see if she was telling the truth. Oh the joys of having to hold back her craving of destroying the damned things. Still Annette needed to do her best to stay alive so she could figure out exactly how she got here and if she could return home. Ancient Egypt was fun to study but being an outsider actually living in it was starting to get on her nerves.

Muscles tensed in her body as Sebek grew closer to her and the table. Her eyes scanned him, expecting something like he wanted her to do some outrageous task for him. Instead he was asking her if she wanted to go with him somewhere and she parted her lips in a bit of shock before her brow rose. He was being serious, yes? He wanted her around like she had thought, close in reach. Reach for what Annette tried to refrain from thinking about at that time. She thought about refusing but instead decided to pick her words more carefully. “I assume you would like my company if you are asking if I would want to come.” He said something then about her never working in Scotland because of her skin. What did he know about Scotland? Nothing. “I worked, a bit. We don't tan most of us. Our skin just burns.” Annette wasn't really lying. Her skin only burnt and she worked, but not in Scotland. “Not work like this. I mainly did crafts.”

That wasn't exactly what he meant, but it did give him more information about the world she came from. There was time for them to do arts and crafts instead of working, which meant she was of some class. If it wasn't a job, the only time someone could do a craft was in their copious amounts of spare time. Learning that they didn't tan didn't give anything away of her status, but he could figure out that she didn't have any damaged skin, which was good enough for his curiosity. Annette didn't seem ready to open up and tell him anything that would truly help him figure her out. This was going to take more work than Sebek thought it would.

"It's nice to have help when I leave the palace," he told her, folding his arms behind his back. "I imagine you would like to see the city you'll be living in, hm?" While it was possible for Annette to live the rest of her life inside of the palace, that would grow boring and limit the jobs she could be sent on. Shopping trips, running errands, delivering messages... they were all done outside of the walls of the king's home and any servant could do them if they knew the city. If Annette wanted to stay inside, it was possible but she would get bored before she knew a day had passed. He was attempting to give her a break from the possible hard labour that she would be pushed into doing. "It's up to you," he finished with a light shrug of his shoulders. "Come with me or scrub the floors. Those are pretty much your options." He reached forward again for bits of the meat available for him before he took a seat and continued with his meal.

His eyes turned to Annette a moment later, clearing his throat. "Did you do any work at all? Even crafty jobs." There had to be something better for the woman to do than pour him wine until she got used to the make up of the palace.

Annette was watching Sebek carefully. She had figured he had wanted her close, but he was saying it was for something else. She stood still, scanning his face. Everything seemed to be obvious to Annette, but in all honesty it was not. She thought she had known everything about this culture, about the people, about the past. Now being here for a short time she had learned very much. How curious a prince like him could be and how they had lost so many things on the past over time.

He was asking if she had ever worked. Probably wanting to know if there was something more she could do than crafts. Annette pressed her lips together as she pondered what to say. If she told him the truth, would he believe her? If she told him a lie and he found out what would she do? Annette sighed and nodded her head. "I've worked as a dress designer before. I used to work and put books away."

Annette tilted her head to the side, pausing when he asked which she would prefer...scrubbing the floor or going with him? She didn't mind cleaning, but cleaning back in this age was a lot worse than it was in modern times and she sighed. "I'd rather not clean the floors." She admitted as he grabbed some meat and continued to eat. "A statue is being placed up for your brother, yes? Your younger one? Do you not have any other siblings?"

Sebek raised an eyebrow. The clothing she was wearing certainly didn't give that fact away, which confused him, but then again, he didn't know what was worn in Scotland. Perhaps that was the new style. It wouldn't catch on in Egypt, he could see that already. Once Annette had changed, her clothing was brought into the throne room for several people to examine, including Sebek and the Queen. There was no way it could breath in the heat of the desert; it was far too tight and the fabric was made of strange fibers. It was nothing they would want to wear, but perhaps Annette had something to offer anyway. They would have to see how well she did with a job such as a designer. And books... well they had people for that job already. There wasn't a chance Annette could get that job, especially if she couldn't read their language.

Speaking of which, he'd have to test her to see how much she knew of their language. That could be a later task, even something for tomorrow. Sebek's lips pulled back into a thin smile as she agreed to join him, which was exactly what he was hoping for. To make her work all day would be a waste of her beauty. He wasn't going to let her do it, even if she did say she wanted to stay inside. The look vanished though as she asked about his bother.

"Yes, my younger," he began, taking another bit of food. "I no long have an older brother. He passed several years ago... My father has turned to make my brother his favourite child. Despite my new position." He examined one of the small grapes between his fingers before popping it into his mouth. "I have a younger sister and another sibling on the way." His eyes turned to Annette and looked her over slowly. "How old are you?"

Annette saw the smile tug on his face when she agreed to go along with him. She could almost see an amused twinkle in his eyes. He must have been planing something if she had refused to go, but Annette had picked the wiser choice. She wanted to say something more to him, but he seemed deep in thought when she had listed off what she could do. True she could make dresses and design things, but Annette was not good with the Egyptian's form of art or design. She doubted they would enjoy anything she created.

"I can make dresses like I said and design things, but it might not be to your cultures standards." Annette looked at the ground. This conversation was becoming almost awkward and the other servants were still there staring as if waiting for the prince or her to say something that would throw this whole conversation out of whack. She was trying her best to stay calm and keep the conversation on a steady pace. So neither of them tipped the plated and smacked one another in the face with a misunderstanding. Still, she was pondering in the back of her head how she could understand them and fluently speak their language. True she knew modern Egyptian but she knew nothing about their Ancient language and it was like she had been here for a while traveling over the world in this time.

The conversation was going quite well until he finally frowned when she had mentioned his younger brother. Annette stared at him as he informed her that the statue was indeed for his younger brother. Jealousy must have ran through his veins and anger. She couldn't imagine what it would be like to be his age, in his position and to have his little brother put on a pedestal before him.

Annette was a bit saddened when he mentioned his older brother had died a few years ago. "I'm sorry to hear about that...about your older brother." She rubbed her arm before bringing her gaze up and raising a brow as he finally asked her age. She pursed her full lips before sighing. Annette didn't really need to lie about her age. She couldn't have been much younger or older than him. "I'm 20..I turn 21 in a few months." She admitted shrugging her shoulders. She had spent most of he rlife in college and now she was living in Ancient Egypt..well at least for the day. She tilted her head to the side. "How old did you think I was? 30?"

Having things from other cultures were a rareity and a blessing at the same time, and Annette was a perfect example of that. If she had an insight towards things from other countries, even if it was just designs that they could work off of. He added the idea to his list of things that needed to be tested or asked about. If she could get them some new ideas, things could only get better for Egypt. They had yet to get influenced by other countries which was for the better, but many people were curious.

Sebek ignored her comments, choosing that it was better to not bring up his brother again. He hated speaking about what happened to his brother and was pleased when the woman began to change the topic to his next question. She was only 20 years old. He hummed softly before glancing out the nearby window.

"I didn't think you were that old," he admitted. "In fact, I thought you were younger." If she had lived in Egypt, by now she would have some sort of sign of work on her. Either callisus or worse; whips. It was probably for the better, but it threw him off with aging her. "17, 18 perhaps... It's hard to tell when you're not from around here." He smirked slightly and took a sip of his drink. "I'm relieved to know you're older. My sister won't try to make you her friend..."

The corners of his eyes didn't lie. The topic of his older brother was upsetting him and she was thankful she had easily changed the topic to her age. Annette was amused. He thought she was younger, three years younger, than what she actually was. She had always thought she had looked older than she was. Then again, she did have a childlike face at times and acted like a child. The corners of her lips tugged and she tried her best to stifle a giggle.

"I didn't think I looked that young." Annette pointed to her jawline and lifted up her small chin. "It's the round face I suppose. Makes me look like a child. My younger sister looks older than me at times." Annette brought her chin down. She looked away. She shouldn't have mentioned she had any other siblings. Then again what did it hurt to mention them? It was not like he could go and fetch them and bring them to her. Reality was nipping at Annette's heels, forcing her to realize things but she tried to push it back. Annette rose her brows when he spoke about his sister not befriending her. "Afraid someone else in your family might take interest in me?" It was bold of her, but she had asked it. "I don't think you father or your brother like me very much."

Annette placed her hands behind her back. She knew in a way she probably shouldn't be asking questions. Shouldn't be acting like she was equal to him, not in this time period and the position he had given her, but Annette still needed to ask him something. "Since you now know my age..may I know yours?"

Sebek let a smile play on his lips as she turned her head, giving him the chance to look her over once again. Any chance he had, he'd take advantage of. Although she didn't let it show too often, the prince could tell there was a spark hidden beneath her. The gleam in her eye was the same that his sister held when their father was demanding things from her. Even at the young age of thirteen, his sister had a habit of doing things her father didn't exactly approve of. She never broke a law or did anything too rebellious, but there was once or twice that she went against direct orders. Perhaps they would like each other more than he thought they would. She was right though, his father wasn't too impressed with her and his brother was fully prepared to hate every inch of her.

The prince took another drink as she asked her question, only to clear his throat. He wasn't quite offended by the question, but slightly taken back. Age wasn't something often asked of the prince so when it was, it took him a minute to realize that she was, in fact, asking that of him. "Just about your age," he answered smoothly. "I just turned twenty two during the last full moon. There was a large party and everything." A few of the servants smiled and nodded. Sebek smiled at the nearest woman before nodding slightly. "Everyone enjoyed it. You'll have to be around for next year. It may be even larger."

Annette could feel him staring at her and she shifted her weight onto her right leg. It was weird being the center of attention, even though she was just a 'servant' to him. She was the type of girl that could normally walk into a crowd of people and get unnoticed. Here she stood out like a sore thumb and everyone was looking at her. She didn't match with their skin color or their hair color. In a way it was amusing. In another way Annette sort of felt like an outcast. Still Sebek seemed to want her around, and she couldn't help feel like he was looking over every inch of her to get a better deal of what he wanted to do with her. The thought made Annette stiffen up. She didn't want to be used as some whore for his pleasure, even if he was the prince of Egypt.

She watched as he took another sip. She played with her hands behind her back as she waited for him to say something when he cleared his throat. How long was she suppose to stand like this answering questions and asking them? The way he announced his age sort of took Annette back. Ah, she should have remembered they told time by the wanning and waxing of the moon. He spoke about a larger party and Annette sighed. Then the next comment he made towards her made Annette blink a few times. He wanted her to be around for his next birthday? He was already planning to have her around for a long time. Annette tried not to say anything that might overly give away her displeasure of being away from home and her things. She nodded lightly. "We'll see." Hopefully Annette wouldn't be trapped here for too long. Hopefully she was clever enough to find a way home. She wasn't giving up hope yet. If she had magically gotten here, there had to be a path back. "Is there anything else you would like from me?" Annette asked wondering if their conversation was done.

The way Annette spoke at the end of it all was not only confusing but stunning to the prince. It was like she wanted to get away from him early. Perhaps he was boring her? This was going to be rough time for him. He never had to make an effort to entertain the people around him; that was always other people's jobs and he simply watched. This was going to be tough... like a horrible sort of new torture method. Perhaps he had to push her further to get more of her personality out, or any sort of feelings to begin with. There was no reason to keep her around if she wasn't going to be entertaining or worth talking to. It wouldn't hurt to try and break her out of the silence she seemed to be stuck in.

"Well I'll have to remember this next time I need to torture someone," he thought aloud, grabbing the final bit of food before waving the plates away. Several of the servants came close to take the plates without a word from them. Sebek pointed towards the nearby glasses still on the table. "Fill them up then leave," he told the servant with the wine pitcher before he bothered to stand up again. He took the second cup and approached Annette once again, holding the cup out for her to take. "You've barely told me anything about you," he told her. "I know where you're from, that you have a sister and that you don't have a mark of labour on your body." He made sure the woman had the cup in her hand before he continued to speak. "It's important that I know who you are if you're going to spend any time with me, make sense?" It did to him. He'd have to make sure that the woman understood where he was coming from as well. "Now... tell me more about your family. I assume you were brought here by the Romans... and if not, that's the story you'll be telling them, understand? Some may see it as a gift from the gods and others will just accept that answer. But you, my dear, need to talk to me about what I'd like to know."

Annette rose a brow when he mentioned torture. Was he going to torture her? Did he think she was bored of him? She just didn't really want to be here..she wanted to go home.. As much as she was awed by Ancient Egypt, she was frightened and wanted to be in her own bed. Where would she sleep? In the servants quarters? In his bed? She didn't know what he was planning or what exactly he wanted from her when he had claimed her as his servant and Annette could only wonder. She couldn't exactly scream 'HELP RAPE!' when it was the prince of Egypt in this time period. No one would care and they would all probably have question marks on their faces.

Annette watched as the plates were taken away by his order. She shifted again wondering if she should be bothering to move with them to help. When he pointed to the glasses on the table she moved to reach for them figuring he was motioning for her to go fill them. Then she realized he had meant for the woman holding the wine pitcher to fill them. Annette fiddled with her hands as she watched the glasses being filled. She watched Sebek closely as he approached her with the second cup and offered her it this time not letting up until she took it. She nodded taking it. "Thank you..." She said softly gripping the cup with both hands. Annette looked up at him when he began to speak, rattling off about what little he knew about her before mentioning that he needed to know more about her if she was to be in his presence. The whole thing made sense to the prince, it made no sense to Annette. Still she nodded her head not wanting to argue about it. She had done enough arguing about not being a thief and all that, it was best to just give the prince what he wanted. "Fine. Have it your way." Annette huffed picking the glass up and swirling the wine around. She wasn't one for red wine. It was always too strong. Her head tilted to the side when he asked about her family. She didn't have to lie about this sort of thing. He wouldn't know anything. He wanted her to lie...to tell people she was brought by the Romans..she could do that and she nodded to that. "I have a little sister. She's seven. She's very ill and often times I would look after." Annette admitted dropping her gaze. She thought about the things she could say. She could lie say she was a princess, royal. All the things she could say, but she decided against it. She knew how she could get when she lied. She forgot things. Her tongue would get tied. The truth was just easier to say. "I don't come from a rich family...My mother drinks a lot." Annette smiled a bit. "My father is a scholar...He used to travel a lot until my sister got sick..that's about when my mother started drinking and he to settle down to take care of them both." Annette shrugged. "That's about all to know about my family. Not that much, not that fancy like yours." Annette waved one of her hands around smiling a bit at him. "After all you are a prince. I'm just a commoner."

Finding out she was 'just a commoner' confused the prince to no end. He reached forward and took her free hand in his, looking at her palm and fingers, raising an eyebrow yet again. It was becoming a familiar look for both of them to show just how confused they were about things happening around them. "You have no sign of labour," he pointed out, running his fingers over the tips of her own. "How can a commoner not have them?" The difference between the ancient world and the modern that Annette knew was that the everyday worker in Egypt had signs of hard labour of all sorts. Only the nobles and royals were free of those marks. Perhaps things were different in Scotland in that period but Sebek couldn't wrap his mind around it. "Were the crafts your permanent job?" he asked, looking up at the woman once again, his hand still holding onto hers. He wasn't quite done with her yet. But she was willing to answer the rest of his questions, which he was pleased with. Hopefully things would get better between the two of them and she would continued to talk to him about what he wanted to learn. The ways of Scotland were already interesting him and Annette was his only link to that new world.

He continued to listen to what she was saying about her family, nodding slightly. There were plenty of people in the area who travelled for work, in fact some of his favourite people did that. Perhaps taking her to see them when they came into the city again would help her feel more at home. Sebek was planning to anyway, so bringing her along wouldn't hurt in the end. "What type of scholar?" he asked. "History, scribe?" Then he paused. "Was your family in the crafts as well, or were you an apprentice to someone?"

Annette had said too much about the modern world. She could see the sheer look of confusion on the prince's face as he reached forward and snacked her hand as she waved it around. Annette gasped a bit surprised and pulled her brows together as she looked at him. Her other hand held tightly onto the glass of wine trying not to spill it as he examined her small pale hand and it's delicate little fingers. Her nails were long and well taken care of. She pulled her lips together forming a line. Ah, this was really confusing she could see. When he asked if her permanent job was that in the crafts Annette just nodded. That was the only way she could think to make sense to him. She couldn't tell him that she had gone to school, that she had traveled with her father, things like that. No, the modern world would be much too confusing to him then. "Yes. I do enjoy the crafts...my hands are well suited for them." Annette admitted. She remembered a time when her mom had often yelled drunk at her to become an art major, to make more money that way. That's when she had decided to start smashing pots instead of making them to get her drunk mother off her back. Annette raised her chin to the prince as she bent her fingers. He continued to hold her hand, but she made no motion to take it back. Annette was afraid he might be offended if she did and she just looked at him as he seemed so interested in her. Then again...he thought she was talking about Scotland..not about Modern day.

Annette rose a brow when he asked her what type of scholar her father was. He was so curious about her father, her family about her. "Are you always this curious about your servants?" Annette sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know what kind of scholar he was..he just told me he was a scholar. I used to be an apprentice for a really good artist.." Annette said. ..but I hated pottery so I broke all his pots and he told me off even though I was really good at it.

The prince stopped examining the woman to look her straight in the eyes. "Many of my servants were raised as such," he explained. "There isn't much for them to tell me. Their days were spent working in other people's homes or the palace. It's rare for us to have anyone from another place here." His eyes turned down to the cup before turning back to her. "Do you not drink wine?" he asked, setting his own cup down on a nearby surface. He continued to run his hand over hers, enjoying the feeling of her soft skin. She must have used some sort of oils to keep it that smooth, especially if she was typically using clay. Sebek knew the few times he played around with their potter's clay, his hands were dry in no time. It was important to take care of your skin and even more so in the heat of the desert city. Speaking of which...

He broke contact with the woman, starting into the bedroom area of the large room, stepping up to a table full of ancient lotions, all in ornate bottles fit for a royal. He took a bit out of one of the bottles and rubbed his hands down before approaching his servant with the same bottle and offering it to her. "Keep this nearby," he instructed. "Straight from Banebdjedet," he told her. "The people there are excellent perfume crafters. This happens to be lemongrass. Not one of my favourites but it will save your hands and keep them close to how they are now." He couldn't save her from every job she was going to do but perhaps this could help keep her to some standard she may have been used to. A scholar was no one to laugh at in his city; they were important people with families who held a certain style of life. "You're a rare servant," he continued. "I need to keep an eye on you. Certainly so if my brother is after you."

Annette nodded. It made sense that many of his servants were born and raised to be servants in the palace. She was different than the normal servants, she had come from out of the city and now she was a royal servant..it was only normal that he would want to know about her. When he asked her about the wine she blinked and looked down at the cup swirling the wine around. It was red wine, she hated red wine. Then again...did they even have white wine back in this time? Now that she thought about it..she did remember reading somewhere that they had found evidence that they had made some white wine back in Ancient Egypt. She wondered what it tasted like it. Annette had to be careful though. She didn't know if they had discovered this type of wine yet.. "I don't partially care for...this type of wine..no." Annette looked at him and sighed as she brought it up to her nose sniffing it. The wine did smell nice. It just was very strong. "I have a weak stomach when it comes to alcohol." Annette admitted. "I can't stomach too much of a strong substance." Annette's eyes looked down at his hand as he stroked her soft skin. She rubbed her lips together. She wanted to pull her hand away so badly, she didn't really like being touched by someone intimately like that, it was awkward for her. Annette was..shy in a way and she trying her best not to show it.

At first she thought he was going to pull her closer. Instead he brought the contact of their hands and moved through the room over to some pots. Annette was relieved for a moment. She drew her hand back and brought it back up to the cup stroking it as she held the cup near her face before holding the cup down by her lap. She watched him with the bottles. Was he using..lotion on his hands? Ah that's why his hands were so smooth as well. He brought the bottle over and she thought maybe he was just going to keep it nearby but instead he offered it to her. Annette looked at him a bit baffled. He barely knew her and he was already offering her a gift? She hesitated but slowly reached out to grasp it. "..Why?" Annette examined it blinking it..she didn't know why he was giving it to her. "Why are you giving this to me?.." Annette asked. She knew it was rude but she had to ask. Then his comment came about her being a rare servant and Annette stared at the bottle. Still, she didn't like presents. "I really don't need it." Annette admitted as his next comment came about keeping an eye on her came out. She raised an eyebrow before looking up at him. She wanted to ask him then something. "An eye on me? Yourself or one of your servants?" Annette sighed and shook her head, it also brought up another question bubbling in her head. "Does that mean I'll have to sleep at your room so you know I'm still alive and breathing, and your little brother didn't kidnap me and kill me?"

The look of calmness that Sebek once had on his face was gone as soon as the woman turned down his gift. He understood if she didn't like wine and certainly did if her stomach was weak to it. That wasn't a problem at all and was actually better that she say that now rather than later on after a drink or two. But no one ever turned down a gift from him, or any of the royal family. It was hard to tell if he was insulted or just very confused about her response, but either way he wasn't pleased to hear her answer. Any other servant would have taken it with joy and would have probably treasured it to make it last as long as they could. Annette was surprising him with every turn and Sebek wasn't sure if he liked it. He lowered his hand, setting the bottle down beside his wine cup with an unamused look blatant on his face, listening to her next question.

"Well I was going to let you stay with the other servants in their quarters," he began, choosing to take the bottle back to the table with the others until a later time before moving to return to his drink. "Zaliki is typically my eyes and ears when it comes to watching over all of you, but something tells me that you staying in here with me would be a greater torture." He took a drink as he let his sour words sink in. Things felt as if they were going so well just minutes before, but turning down a gift from a royal was never praised in any culture, let alone Egyptian where the pharaoh was a god. Sebek, being his eldest son, was the closest she was going to get to a god without being killed by his father, which was still completely possible. "Osaze is typically harmless. He can not bother those who work for me unless he convinces my father it's a good idea." The prince turned to Annette again, tipping his head slightly as if examining her again for a response. "Which would you prefer?" he questioned. "The quarters or here?" He had an idea, but he needed to know the woman's thoughts before he could move any further along.

Annette could see she had clearly upset the prince as he took back the bottle from her. She had not meant to do such a thing. "I'm sorry.." Annette began. She looked at the bottle and stared at his back as he began to put the bottle back with the rest of the other bottles. "...I'm just not used to accepting gifts or getting them.." It was true. It was why Annette wasn't too fond of them. Annette let her hand drop to her side before letting her gaze drop as well. He probably thought she was so rude and probably wanted to get rid of her now. "I didn't mean to insult you..." Annette stated. She felt like crying in a way. She was such an outcast here and her modern day ways were clashing with their Ancient ways. She had studied Ancient Egypt up and down but living in it was nothing like reading about it. She didn't even want to look at his face knowing what she would find. He was unamused with her. She could tell by the tone his voice took.

The word torture turned up again. Did he have to use that word? She wasn't really being tortured..well now she was. This felt like torture the way this conversation had taken a sour turn of events. So Zaliki would watch over her, that was fine, she understood that. She listened to him take a sip of his drink as she looked over the tiles again before turning to look over the wave of her wine and her reflection in the drink. His brother was harmless unless his father was involved, that was a bit of a relief. Then again she hadn't really made the best impression with the Pharaoh. His question caught her a bit off guard when he asked her which she would prefer. He was the prince, shouldn't he be deciding this instead of her. She looked over with a sort of saddened expression. She was upset she had insulted him, she hadn't meant to. Which would she prefer? She didn't really know.. She didn't know what the servants quarters were like. Then again she had insulted him and she didn't feel like being in his presence right now would be the best of options. Annette shrugged and sighed looking down. "I think that should be up to you.." Annette just came to that conclusion not wanting to say one or the other. He would probably send her to the servants quarters anyways since she had just insulted him, Annette had figured that much. Then again the prince had some ways of surprising her.

When she had finally given an answer, Sebek was stunned. The fighter who was just standing in front of him had vanished in seconds. Now Annette was back to being some shy woman who was ready to follow his command, missing the spark she so recently held in her eyes. The man drew in a sharp breath, as if sensing what was wrong in the room before he glanced out the window once again. The sun was beginning to set, causing strange reflections over the Nile along with shadows looming into the room, invading their private conversation. Sebek began to think of what exactly he was going to do with the woman. At first, he was going to keep her in his room for the night, hoping for some sort of fight or entertainment from the woman but now he had another idea; send her back with the servants, let her get to know them and perhaps they could bring something back out of her for tomorrow.

But at the same time, the prince still saw the woman as a gift to him; one that he didn't want to let go of yet. More shouting came from the river over the paddling of boats as people began to settle in for the night and get home for dinner. Sebek leaned against the closest pillar, stuck in thought for several minutes as he watched the scenes playing out in front of him. "You'll stay with me tonight," he informed her, crossing his arms in a calm motion. "My bed is plenty big for both of us." He knew that for a fact. "And tomorrow we'll go out and attend to what I need to before returning here."

Back
Top Bottom