Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Insufficient Memory-A challenge for IT (Wolvenrogue and Quiet Seductress)

wolvenrogue

Singularity
Supporter
Rick Wilson was an IT tech at the accounting firm of Wyllis and Mitchell. With over 300 computers and 3 networks in 40th floor offices, he was a busy guy. There was always someone with a computer problem. He wasn't getting rich, but his job was secure. He had received a page up to the reception area where Katherine Mitchell worked. He liked her a lot. She always made him feel good, as she did everyone that met her. The company couldn't have asked for a better receptionist in his opinion. They had talked quite a bit over the two years he had worked for the firm, and he was always happy to respond to her call. He hopped the elevator from his repair shop and network center in the basement of the building and headed for 40. the elevator was fast and smooth, and his ears usually popped as he rode it. He got a funny feeling when the car stopped. It rocked a little, and he made a mental note to say something to maintenance.

The lanky, blue eyed 6' hunk with spiked blonde hair, a 30' waist and 44 chest got out of the elevator adjusted his black horn rimmed glasses and strode quickly across the office toward Katherine's desk. Before he got there all hell broke loose ass the building shook and ceiling tiles fell, desks tipped over and he found himself grabbing Katherine and dragging her under her heavy steel desk before the bottom dropped out and they fell for what seemed an eternity. Rick woke up choking on dust and pulling the small flashlight from his pocket looked around and found that by some miracle Katherine was laying in his lap unconscious He checked him self and her over quickly and it appeared that between them, the only injury was a bump on her forehead. He could hear her coughing and he did his best to wake her.

"Agh, not again!" Katherine announced as her computer crashed. She picked up her phone and called down to IT to get someone up here to fix it. Katherine, or Kat as she liked to be called, worked at her grandfather's accounting firm for two years while she was finishing up her master's degree in biological psychology. She had worked for the firm since she started college and was just glad to have the job, though she was just the receptionist for the exec floor. She quietly waited for the IT guy to come. She was a bright young woman and quite pretty too. She had strawberry blond hair that fell to the middle of her back and she had the hourglass figure that any woman would kill for. Her green eyes watched the elevator, hoping that IT would send in Rick. Kat had something of a crush on him and enjoyed their small conversations when he would come to fix her computer.

She smiled and straightened out her blouse when she caught a glimpse of Rick's blonde hair and toned body. She gave him a smile and was about to say hello when the building started to shake. Kat found herself being pulled under her desk by Rick. She panicked because they were on the top floor and there was an earthquake going on; it was probably the most dangerous place to be. She screamed at the floor gave way and sent her and Rick plummeting to what she assumed was their deaths. After a while, Kat slowly came to, her head ached like a semi had run it over. She was coughing uncontrollably and moaned in agony. When she finally opened her eyes, she looked up at this guy, immediately she panicked and sat up, but that only hurt her more, "ah fuck!" There was no blood coming from her wound, but it was terribly sore. "What happened, who are you?" She looked genuinely puzzled as she asked her companion. He would find out that the bump caused Kat some amnesia, the extent of which was not yet known.

"Are you alright Kat!?" he asked " What do you mean who am I? It's Rick. Rick from IT. Its a miracle we are still alive." He looked around and recognized his tool box. " My God, were in the fucking basement!" we fell 41 floors! Holy shit! You better lay back down," He said, patting his lap "You have a pretty bad bump." above them a huge slab of concrete made a ceiling over their head about 5 feet high and standing up wasn't an option. Clearly they were trapped. Ricks mind raced thinking of a way to let someone know where they were. He looked for his cell phone but it was broken, smashed in the fall. He found a chair cushion and placed it under Kat;s head, and started looking around. He found a laptop that he had for repairs and booted it up. Finding a network cable, he plugged it in. Damn! they had internet! getting on skype, He called his brother in Utah 500 miles away and thank God he answered. Hey bro! he said you won't believe this but I'm trapped in my building at work. We had an earthquake.. I'm in the basement! get help!.. Just then the internet connection went dead. "Well at least someone knows we are here, he said as he crawled back over to check on Kat again. "How you doing kiddo?" he asked.

Kat was so confused, she didn't know this guy beside her, yet he seemed to know her. "I don't know a Rick from IT!" She was getting light headed as she looked around. There was debris everywhere and dust filled the air. She watched as he searched around the area for something and when he found his cell phone, she saw the look of disappointment on his face when she realized it was broken. She had laid back down because the pain was throbbing. Though she had no recollection of what happened and who she was with, she was glad that at least someone was with her because she wouldn't have known what to do if she was by herself.

When Rick hooked up his computer and got connected to someone on Skype, Kat felt that they were going to get rescued soon, but he mentioned that they had fell to the basement and that meant that they were at the very bottom of the pile. "Please, I don't understand, you're saying that I know you?" She looked at him rather confused. It hadn't crossed her mind that her head wound caused some damage to her memory.

"Yes of course you do." he said trying to be patient. "We have been working at the same firm for the last 2 years or so." You're the executive receptionist, and I work in IT. I repair your computer whenever call me. Do you remember your name?" By now he was beginning to put together that she was suffering a significant memory loss. "You got a pretty good bump on the head, I think you might have amnesia. I'll tell you what, for now, lets just start over. My name is Rick, Rick Wilson, and you are Kat, Katherine Mitchell. It's nice to meet you. I know i might seem a bit forward, but since we've been working together for about two years, and you always playing practical jokes on me, I feel entitled. "

"You know, I didn't ask you, but do you hurt anywhere else? Other than your head? Your arms, legs, body ..anywhere?" While he was talking to her he remembered where they were. and crawled over to his too box a few feet away. He opened the top and found a bottle of extra strength Tylenol and next to it a case of bottled water. He grabbed two waters and crawled back to her. " I bet you can use some of this" he said. He propped her up against him cradling her in his arms and opening a bottle of water, fed her a couple of the Tylenol.

"There now just relax for a bit. You should probably drink the whole bottle of water if you can. "

Everything was so fuzzy. Kat of course knew who she was, she just didn't remember Rick. When he explained how they knew each other, it dawned on her that there would be no reason as to why he would make that up. She touched the bump on her head and realized that it was more than just a bump, parts of her memory were fading. It gravely concerned her, but she didn't panic, there really was nothing they could do about it until they were rescued. "I'm sorry I don't remember you and I assume I should apologize for the practical jokes too." She offered him a smile.

When he asked if she was hurt anywhere else, Kat took inventory of her body. "Uh, no, I think I'm okay, other than my head." She was lucky, they both were, falling that distance and still being alive, not to mention only suffering a bump on the head. "Thanks." she said as he fed her the Tylenol and helped her swallow it down with the water. He was very caring for her, cradling her in his arms the way he did. She took the bottle and tried to drink all of it, but ended up only drinking three quarters of it. She rested against him, looking up at him. "Are you hurt at all?" he didn't seem so, but she had to ask out of politeness.

"Oh I have a couple of bruises, but nothing any worse than I get at the gym from time to time. I really cant believe it. He cudlled her gently enjoying the close contact. "Don't worry about the practical jokes. They gave us both a lot of fun. I wonder how long it will be before we get out of here?" he asked no one in particular. "I think I better shut off the light and save the battery" when he did, it was suddenly pitch black, reinforcing the fact that they were practically buried alive. He rubbed her shoulders gently , and showing more cofidence than he actually had, he said "I am sure it will all be alright and they'll get us out soon."

She felt a bit of panic when he shut out the light. She couldn't even see her own hands in front of her. The only thing that that kept her calm was his closeness and the warmth radiating off of him. She softly grabbed his hands as he rubbed her shoulders, "thank you for saving me. I just wanted to let you know, just in case." She really did hope that they'd be rescued soon because as it stood, they didn't have any food and couldn't get out on their own. It was silent for a while and that made Kat nervous, so she decided to some small talk. "So how do you like the IT department?" She was trying to get to know him all over again and felt a little silly because he had probably answered these questions for her before.

He took her hands in his and wrapped his arms a little tighter around her. "You meet a lot of interesting people, but unfortunately they are usually not at their best. Nothing like a computer crash to make someone's day. On the plus side, you get to be the hero as well as the goat, and every once in a while you meet someone who just makes your day.... Like you!" he said. " I really mean that. You never fail to make me feel good. That's a wonderful gift."

Kat was taken back by his lovely words to him. She had to keep reminding herself that she did know him, it was just her brain hid those memories from her. She thought herself to be a kind and caring person and always tried to brighten people's day, she just didn't know that it had such an effect on him. "Thank you, I'm glad that even though I don't remember right now, I'm good at putting a smile on your face." She smiled up at him, though he wouldn't have been able to see because of the darkness. Kat enjoyed his arms wrapped around her, he was like her own personal blanket. She pondered at the kind of relationship that they had. "You seem like a great guy, do you have a girlfriend or wife?" It was an innocent enough question and because she couldn't remember, she didn't want to step on any toes if he did.

"Neither" he said . "I just haven't been out with the right girl yet. They seem to be after either a big career, which I don't have or their just looking for fun. Fun is good, but I really am looking for more." he had wondered if she were attached for months, but never had an excuse to ask, but now he did. "How about you?" he asked. He steeled himself for the painful truth. She was far too beautiful in everyway, not to be spoken for. He let his voice trail off in the darkness, and listened.

She was surprised that he wasn't attached. Though he was covered in dust, he was still very good looking and the way that he had been treating her, indicated that he had a softer side that no woman would be able to resist. "Oh I don't know, I think IT is a big career. I mean computers are always breaking down and then where would we be without you guys!" She did her best to up his ego a bit. Perhaps that's what he meant by she always made him feel good. Kat took a moment to think about his question, "I don't believe I do have a boyfriend." She felt her ring finger on her left hand, there was no ring and no indentation that there might have been one there, "no husband, that's for sure. I guess, like you, I just haven't met the right person yet." A few memories came crawling back about her dating life, no one ever panned out it seemed.

"It's so weird that I don't remember you, it seems that we get along just fine though. Were we just coworkers or do we hang out as friends?" She was trying to put the puzzle pieces together without the picture of what the pieces made; it was difficult, but she was determined to make it work.

He hugged her in the dark. "I don't exactly know how best to answer that," he said. "If you mean, did we date, why no, I wish I could say we were, but we always seem to end up together at company social functions." He had spoken honestly. He really like Kat, a lot. Did he want to date her? You bet. Did he think he had a chance? no!. "Do you think if I'd asked you out, you would have gone with me?" he asked hopefully. He wanted to turn on the light so he could see her eyes, but decided against it and instead just listened.

She felt his hug and got a comforting sense of calmness from it. From his answer, she learned that they hadn't dated, but he wanted to. In fact he seemed a bit saddened that they weren't dating. Kat could barely remember any of the social functions that he referred to, it was still a blur for her. She took a moment to ponder his question, "I don't see why not. I mean it sounds like we got along or get along nicely and you seem interested in me and you sound like an interesting guy to me." She shrugged her shoulders and wondered why he hadn't asked her out before. "You've saved my life and I think that's a very redeeming quality!" She let out a giggle, but stopped suddenly went it made her head throb. "Tell you what, when we make it out of here, we can go on a date, sound good?" She reached up and patted his hand.

"Yes... it sounds wonderful," he said. "Do you remember anything? Whats your most recent memory?" he asked. curious about her memory loss. suddenly he heard a creaking sound and clouds of dust filled the space and small pieces of rock started pelting them. he quickly pulled her body under him sheltering her from the loos debris. When it finally stopped he asked "are you alright!?" he striped off his shirt and ripped it int rags and wetting it with water from the bottle gave her one to breath through as he again cuddled her against his now bare chest.
"I can't wait for our date" he said trying to take away her fears.

Kat was about to speak of her most recent memory when she heard cracking sounds coming from up above them, then the area that they were in was filled with dust and she was being pelted with debris. Rick had pulled her into his arms, shielding her head and torso from what was falling on them. When things settled, she heard the tear of his shirt and was handed a wet piece of cloth for her to breathe into. "Yeah, I'm okay," she said a bit nervously. She clung to his half naked body because she didn't want to move away. Her hope of being rescued was fleeting by the minute, but she tried not to show it. "If we even make it out of here," she said in response to his comment. She wasn't trying to be down and out, but their situation looked grim. "I think I remember most things, but a lot of work stuff is hazy at best. I can't remember what I ate for lunch or how I got to work. I also can't remember what I was supposed to do for work."

He could hear the panic in her voice and he pulled her head against his shoulder and rubbed her back gently in the dark. "We are going to get out of here, I promise you. I'll be right here with you till we do. The heat of her body felt good against his skin. he had no idea how long they had been in the concrete prison, but he was sure they would be there a while longer. The floor under them was getting hard and cold, and he decided to try and improve their comfort level a bit, thinking perhaps they could even sleep a bit to pass the time quicker. Taking out his flashlight, he handed it to Kat so that she would not panic, and then told her he was going to look around a bit and for her to shine the light on him while he did. helping her to sit up, he started looking around. He discovered that they were just outside his basement repair shop so he started to think about what might be there that they could use. It was then that he remembered the break room just down the hall.

Crawling on his belly her found the room and she could hear a cheer from him as he found a box of fundraising snacks and candy bars. He dragged them back to her and went looking for more. he found the remains of a sofa that had been crushed, but the cushions were intact and he brought them as well. I think we can fashion us a bed. he said smiling at her.

His words were just a little soothing, but that couldn't have been helped because Kat was just scared. She took the flash light from him and turned it on and shined it on him as instructed. He seemed to know where they were at and that was good for her because it gave her a bit of faith that things would be alright, that he would see to it that she was safe. When he went out of sight, Kat stayed attuned to his movements by listening to him. When he cheered, she smiled, though she knew that it wasn't a cheer of being rescued. He came back with two boxes of food, snacks and candy mostly, but it was something; at least they wouldn't starve. He had went back to retrieve some more stuff and brought back some useable couch cushions. "Were you a boy scout or something?" She gave a little bit of a giggle as she tore into a bag of chips.

"As a matter of fact yes!" he said . "Been helping people since I was 8, but young ladies too, not just the old ones!" he said joking with her and trying to get her to relax a bit as he arranged the cushions on the floor. One mor thing to get he said as he crawled back to his workshop. There he found some old tarps they used to cover machinery when it was stored. "These will keep us warm" he unwrapped a candy bar and wolfed it down hungrily, the said, "let's see if we can manage some sleep." He helped her to lie down and then snuggled up to her and pulled the tarp over them and shut off his flashlight. Wrapping his arm around her waist he asked "How's that feel?"

She laid down on the makeshift bed and got comfortable as best as she could. Once Rick was laid down beside her and pulled the cloth tarp over them, she let out a sigh. They were trapped in a crumbled 40 story building and she didn't know how it looked from the outside, but there was no point in panicking anymore about it. It would only cause her to hyperventilate and become paranoid. Being a psych major, she knew that that would make her crazy. With his arm wrapped around her waist, she replied, "that feels good, I may actually be able to get some sleep. Are you comfortable?" It was only right to concern herself with his well being because he was concerning himself with hers.

'I am just fine he said , and taking a chance, he kissed her gently on the back of the neck. "sleep well" he said, truly hoping they both would, and the time would pass quickly. Once he was warm he was amazed at how quickly he fell asleep. He dreamt of the jokes they played on one another and had a very pleasant nap until they were jarred awake by the sound of jack hammers above them. At first he thought it was another cave in but then he heard voices. "they are coming for us!" Rick said jubilantly. "Stay under the tarp! it will protect us from debris.. It might be several hours yet." he hugged her joyously. "We'll get that date yet!"

His kiss left a tingle on her skin that seemed to vibrate her entire body. Kat closed her eyes and let sleep come to her. She wasn't sure how long it took, but she had fallen asleep. She didn't dream, probably because of her head injury. She was jolted awake by loud vibrating sounds coming from up above them. She didn't know what they were at first, but when Rick stated that someone was coming for them, Kat recognized the jack hammer sounds. She pulled the tarp back over her head as instructed and stayed under it with Rick. She was now facing him, but couldn't see him because it was so dark. she reached her hand out of the tarp and felt for the flashlight. Bringing it back around, she turned it on and illuminated their faces. "Yes, but first I need to get this noggin checked out to see if this memory loss is permanent." She hoped that it was just from the shock of things and that she'd get her memory back, if not for her sake, then for Rick's. She wanted to remember that connection that they seemed to share.

When he saw her pretty lips so close to his own, it was his turn to shiver, though they were both dusty and dirty, he couldn't ever remember any sight so beautiful to him. He tried at first to resist the temptation but hen gave up all together. he wrapped his arms around her, pulled her against his bare chest and kissed her full on he lips, only afterward searching her eyes for permission.

Kat was surprised by his kiss, but she didn't resist or try pulling away. when his lips met hers, there was that familiar tingle just like when he kissed the back of her neck, but this time it was more prominent. Kat took a moment as he looked at her, to come to the conclusion that she rather liked the kiss. She smiled softly at Rick, then she leaned in and kissed him back. She kept her mouth closed because it just wasn't the time for that sort of kiss. When she pulled away, she was the one that looked expectantly into his eyes, "seems we're doing things a bit out of order!"

"Yes I'm afraid so," he said, but I won't tell if you won't" As much as this was terrible, I will remember and cherish this day the rest of my life." he wanted to say that it was he day that he met his wife, bu kept that thought to himself and just smiled at her in the light of the flashlight one more time before hugging her warmly and then suddenly being blinded by the rescuers lights. he mad himself presentable as possible and then climbing from beneith the tarp he called the medics over to look at Kat's head.

Back
Top Bottom