Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

RULE UPDATE, PLEASE READ - ACCOUNT CAPS

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
Since a single person is allowed up to five accounts on site, this is considered a privilege. Abusing this privilege will NOT be tolerated. What it means to abuse this privilege is at the discretion of staff and, depending on the abuse, that single person not only risks their account in which the abuse has taken place under but all other accounts as well and thus their overall time here on site.

It was suggested that some examples be given as to what is deemed abuse so that people have somewhat of an idea here. However, please note that this is not a complete list (that could potentially take too long, plus it's quite possible that we've yet to encounter something and thus it might not be possible to list it until such a time occurs). That said, here are the more commonplace and major examples of abuse:

1) A member/person is a known male. For some reason, said member/person creates an alt account that is a female persona and doesn't let anyone no about this super secret alt account. Using this female persona account, they specifically target members who have explicit rules in their Request Threads stating that they are uncomfortable RPing with male members. They lie to these members and pretend that they truly are female just so that they can RP with these people for some unknown reason. THIS IS ABUSIVE AND A VIOLATION OF SOMEONE'S RIGHTS! (This can go for females pretending to be males or just about anything... but the idea is one in the same).

2) A member/person has an account where they are decently known by members and/or staff (not to mention visible on the boards and in chat) and then create an alt account and try to dupe members and/or staff into believing that the alt is truly a unique individual. It is made worse if the original account has a track record of some sort while the alt, technically, does not.

3) A member/person creates more accounts than the allotted five. As it is, five is WAY more than enough. In all honesty, people really shouldn't need more than ONE. However, in wanting to keep an open mind and thus allowing the ability for people to explore creative freedom, people are granted the privilege of up to five. So, by purposefully exceeding, you are abusing that privilege. By ignoring staff when called out on this, you are abusing it even more so.

Anyway, these are probably the most common offenses that have occurred and they can be pretty serious depending on the situations--especially the first one that was listed and even the second one. But hopefully this lets people see and understand the potential seriousness of the issue and why clarifications are being made.

Thanks.

In all truth, considering the First Rule, aside from Possibly needing a new account after forgetting a password, etc..

Why would you need more than One anyways? I can't see applications of that, Genuinely.

If you are avoiding someone. This is my second account. My first was being harassed by a member who was upset that I didn't want to write with them. They sent me message after message, and after I had ignored them, they got on a second account and messages me again. Tired of it, I wanted a fresh start. Leave behind the old, start something new. I got bored with all my previous roleplays, and disliked many of those I wrote with. Instead of hurting anyone's feelings, I left the old account and started over. There are cases in which a fresh start may be warranted. Or, they didn't want their friends knowing about a taboo fetish, so they make another account to experience it without judgment.

Right. There are instances where it is warranted. There are instances where people just want to explore creative freedom and we here on BMR don't want to hinder that. Thing is, if you are going to choose to explore, don't abuse that freedom. Most don't, but some do unfortunately, which is sad. Just as some do strange things merely for the sake of hurting people just because they can and hiding behind a screen is an easy means to do so and thus invade peoples' rights and lives. So basically, if we, the staff, find out you are doing it... just know that if we deem you are abusing the privilege, consequences will be had. Simple as that. But of course, we'll make sure to speak to you first before actions are taken.

Although i no longer use my alternate account. i had made one for female roles. I made sure to not specify whether i was male or female (Did not lie or pretend to be female, just did not mention it.) Does that also fall under the violation of someone's rights? If they ever asked i did tell them i was male. I just find many people judge you on screen name or Avatar.

It did do its job however. The point was to let me get a chance to play as a female in RP's and I did. (Nowadays i just play this account and hope i find women alright with men playing females.)

But again my question falls under the nondisclosure of my actual gender without being being asked as being abusive or not.

I don't think it is any big deal to play as a male or female regardless of your gender. What matters is if it matters to the person you are contacting to roleplay. Example... you are a male. You see a request thread in the male section seeking a female character. They specify that they are uncomfortable RPing with males RPing as females. Clearly, you should NOT contact this male with your female persona even if your RP desires match theirs. That would be a violation and a screwed up thing to do. Now, if the person doesn't indicate anything and gives off an air that they do not care or clearly states that they do not care, then I'd say it doesn't matter whether you did or did not. However, one thing I've noticed about some people on site... some people when they RP with you do try to venture into the realm of cyber-creepy. I'd be careful on that. If you are male and using a female persona, use sound judgment. Do not fuck with someone. That is clearly violating their space and rights and making them an unknowing victim and you a predator. Make sense? But, if you keep it lax and friendly and whatever, then I see nothing wrong with it. I hope that helps to clarify.

when you say you are you referring to the general you, or Me (as in Gashnaw) (I've had people try to get that "kinky" cyber stuff out and not really all for it. So I hope you mean general, but sadly it does apply to me directly.)

"Use sound judgement. Do not FUCK with someone."
Yea, cause i was totally gonna fuck with someone... (I know you mean general)

No, it's all meant to be applied to anyone and everyone in general not anyone specifically.

Thing is too... we've had instances where people have purposefully created personae just for the sake of targeting people that clearly indicated they wouldn't RP with a specific gender. Not meaning to scare people or what have you. But this is just how it is. And it's just not right that people do this and I'm going to call them out if I find out who they are. Simple as that. Because it's an abuse of someone's rights and a violation. I don't know how else to be clear on that. Of course, you can tell the difference between who is trying to be malicious or a perv about it vs who is not. It's that we're trying to weed out who is who and oust those who are the former.

Thanks. I'm glad I was able to help clarify it. :)
It's just sad that some people don't always 'get it' and do such things. Hopefully, this will help tone it down though while still allowing those who aren't abusive to explore their creativity accordingly. That would be nice.

At first I didn't see the big deal saying you were one sex to RP with someone, since most people have at least tried playing the other gender. But I suppose some people have some deep reason not to play with someone of a sex and find out it's a bad situation. Plus you mentioned the cyber creepy person a those are always bad. Honestly I can't imagine someone having five emails accounts and remembering five passwords, I'm a bit surprised I though the limit was one account but that may be some other site. I can see the whole "New Start" thing. Honestly I'm too proud of my title to do that though.... ((2k+ posts))

Solidsnake61988 said:
How does staff find out someone has multiple accounts?

IP address trends is a common manual way.. At least thats how I know on the forum I mod on. On that forum, everyones registration IP is at the bottom of their posts, but the site keeps track of all of the IPs they log in with.

• I like the rule and the reasoning behind it, and I appreciate that you all look out for people's rights and best interests so much (many thanks for that!).

However, I do want to make sure of something so that I know I'm not near breaking the rule (on accident). I had two other accounts on here and one was created a long while back, and the other wasn't that long ago (in comparison). I deleted the e-mail account and such of one (or it was supposed to be) and abandoned both accounts. If I happen to make another account or two, will you guys tell me if I'm (close to) breaking the rule? Or should I be keeping track of that for myself?

I don't want to accidentally abuse the rule, though I do have a knack for creating multiple accounts/usernames on sites if I go away for too long and enough has changed (with me or the site).

Oh, it's easy to tell who is abusing vs who is just not keeping track as you are saying and we'd never penalize someone for a mere mistake. It doesn't work like that at all. :) We do ask that you try your best to keep track of what you do even though staff does its best to track things. However, we are human so things can sometimes fall through the cracks. But the idea here is that we're trying to avoid malicious intents, not crack down on people who are just trying to have fun and the like. Hope that helps give you peace of mind at the very least.

beat me to my question. Though Id guess our pro or orig pro. Also I agree that one is plenty but see the need for the just in cases and creativity. I personally approve.

NuAki said:
Is gender based on the person's identified gender or their sex?

simpleroleplayer said:
beat me to my question. Though Id guess our pro or orig pro. Also I agree that one is plenty but see the need for the just in cases and creativity. I personally approve.

Seriously? You guys are gonna split hairs like this? Look, when someone puts in their request thread "Please, only contact me if you are a woman; I do not role-play with other dudes!" they are specifically talking about being uncomfortable with what is between your legs. It's not fair but just like with kinks and other role-play qualifications, everybody has the right to make their own specifications about what they will and will not accept in regards to role-plays and role-play partners. If someone says in their request thread that they do not want to role-play with _______ gender, and your genitals disqualify you, it'd be a dick move to say to yourself "Well, I actually identify as female even though I have a penis, so I guess it doesn't apply to me!" It violates their rights in the same way as it would if you started putting bestiality into the role-play when they specifically said they are against it.

I get everyone's point, but the thing this was all about multiple pros from same person, with both sexes used. Besides, I get disqualified usually because of the type of erotic rp. I cannot be a dominent partner. I see that a lot. Nothing against it can't do it. However, Rudolph another good point.

The rule was made to eliminate predatory behaviors. Lying to someone intentionally and misleading them for the purposes of role-playing with them against their preferred type of partner is predatory behavior. It doesn't matter what you want to identify as or how many accounts you have for either gender or whether you go around role-playing as male or female. In regards to the question(gender or sex?) and how it affects the rule, it is about the predatory behavior we're trying to stop.

You CAN: say you're a "girl" on your profile even if you're a man.

You CAN: say you're a "man" on your profile even if you're a woman.

You CANNOT: go into someone's request thread where they specifically say "no penis, please" when you have a penis but are saying you are a girl. THAT is predatory behavior.

Honestly, if you ask me, it's too complicated a grey area if people are gonna ask these questions. WHY exactly are extra usernames needed? If someone is harassing you on the forums, that seems like something that should be told to the admins and let them deal with it. You want a different name? Ask admins to change your name for you. You don't want people to know you role-play a certain kink? ...seriously? What? Okay, fine, ask an admin for another identity if it really is that important. To better eliminate predatory behavior, just take the option away completely. You want something for something? Ask an admin. Just my two cents.

I agree this would be wrong to do, but as was once asked here, I am curious how the staff would even find out? I mean I have one account, I identify as male, in actuality I am a male behind the computer screen, but you on the internet have no real way to prove that, so... the question remains, how do you expect to catch such behavior? How will the mods and admins know each alt is attached to a different account? If it is identified, whose to say which gender is the real one? I mean are mods tracking everyone's IP address to tell who's opperating each account? I have no desire to even create an alt, but the questions still remain unanswered. It really seems like a gray area as said above. As I said I agree with the rule, and this shouldn't be an issue cause common respect for another's preferences should be respected, however since the issue has come up I am curious about the questions I posed.

So... I've been watching this awhile, and feel the need to step in and post some things that it might not be my place to do so. I might even end up turning a few people in to super paranoid freaks and cause them to leave the internet forever. I know I personally started changing a lot of my behavior when I found out some of this stuff.

A single person is allowed five accounts. This /is/ a privilege as most forums only allow you to have one. As someone who has gone by one main online alias from the time I was on the internet, it is pretty damn easy for someone to find me on any forum, facebook, etc and track me. This is especially true if the person knows how what they're doing. Most people don't tend to vary their usernames too much for the sake of simplicity. This is both beneficial and a kick in the ass.

So, when I previewed this... I saw how freaking long it was and decided to spoiler stuff. xD

The internet is public domain and what you do can have real world consequences.
The internet was created to share information. In an example, you are hired for your skills but you can be fired for your behavior outside of work. You can be dismissed from a school, especially ivy league, because of how you conduct yourself and even more so if you're using an internet connection they provide. Yes, this is legal and often done. Think about how many times this has happened with a place like Facebook. A high school kid was expelled for saying 'fuck' on his twitter account, even though it was completely non-threatening. Varying online personas or multiple can help make things like this a little harder for the average person to find and you getting screwed over on.

You should feel comfortable on any account you use.
Like Rea pointed out, there are a few other reasons why someone would want a new account: being harassed by someone on an old one, wanting to start completely fresh, or not wanting to know about some deep, dark kink that you don't want people to know you have. This sort of goes back to what I said above about your online life affecting what happens to you in real life. Incest, non-con, zoophilia, age play, necro... these are just some of the kinks that can come back to bite you in the ass. Or it might be something that your just admitting to yourself, you want exposure to, but you don't want to be associated with because it is still so taboo to you in your mind. An alt account would allow you to explore it in a way you're more comfortable with. What is the most disgusting thing to you, is something someone else thoroughly enjoys. Admit it, not knowing anything else about a person, but knowing that would make you think they were weird. Some people aren't as open as others and are more influenced by this fact.

Boiling it down to gender.
The main point of this seems to be creating an account with the assumption that you are someone who you are not, especially when it comes to gender. Gashnaw pointed out that he had an account for female roles. Though on the alt account, he didn't specify. If you want to play a female role, but post in the male request thread, then a lot of people are going to bypass it because of where it is placed. I remember someone posted a request thread like this and with that stated. A female, who mostly played males... posted in the male request thread with the statement of "If someone is looking for male role, I think this would fit better here." Some people really don't care about the person behind the screen. Others do have some bias, and others specifically don't want someone of a specific gender for what can be a myriad of reasons. I can understand one or two instances of this happening as being an accident but if it is a continuing habit, then it is a problem. However, there is a difference between accidents and knowingly seeking someone out. This is what is trying to be weeded out as Darkangel stated.

When it comes to knowing who is behind the screen
There ARE ways to tell, or at least get a good idea of who is behind the screen. Your e-mai address alone can give someone access to pretty much any account you have signed up for a screen name is. Having access to your IP address... it might be scary to know just how much someone can find out about you. Proxies and IP masking don't work well if you signed up with an e-mail address. I, myself, consider myself sort of an intermediate at this. The knowledge I had alone would be able to find out the name on the bill, an address, and phone number. With the address, I can generally find out the names and ages of people in the household. With the names, I can sometimes find out most of your previous addresses or older information. The IP address can track pretty much every account on the internet you have and have logged in to. Sometimes even where you are currently logged in. Your history is also pretty easy to track thanks to cookies and IP loggers. While I'm pretty sure staff would NEVER go as far as to hijack an IP (allowing them access to everything on your computer and any information sent over it) or hack an e-mail address, it can be done by people who are more experienced in this. There are free programs out there that can do this. It isn't really as hard as you think to find out, or get a good idea of the person behind the screen.

There are some things staff is not inclined to answer based on privacy and our own inner workings. We don't follow people around just so we can "catch" them on different accounts and be all, "We know it's yooooooooooooou!"

Some things will not be answered based on sheer privacy and that, you don't have to know.

I can respect that. Its not like I intend on creating a second account so I'm not exactly worried :p However, thanks for responding. I'm fairly sure this topic has been beaten to death, so I will leave the dead horse to anyone else that wishes to take up the torch so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom