Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Bravo Company ( Katy1008 & CrimsonMaster )

Sam swallowed hard and watched the NVA Captain approach her. She couldn't help flinching a little when he spoke and then she realised that he had given an instruction to the man behind her. She turned and looked at him as he let her go and stepped back. Then her gaze shifted to the radio operator who had been staring at her until another order had been issued. Now he was sending message to someone almost certainly spreading the word that they had a very different kind of prisoner. There was nothing good about this. The NVA position had been clear; American troops and airmen were war criminals and as such were not entitled to the protection of the Geneva Convention. Their names were not even provided to the International Red Cross. Sam was fairly sure that she wasn't going to be killed - at least not intentionally. She was almost certainly more valuable alive; the enemy would take great pleasure in using her for propaganda purposes... as well as others.

Sam flinched again when the Captain lifted his hand and tossed open the front of her wet torn shirt. She saw him smile and she shivered. Perhaps it was just bad timing; perhaps it was just the damp. Perhaps she saw something else in the smile. When he lifted his hand again, she braced herself. Her fists clenched as her arms hung at her side. She was a little surprised when his hand went for her neck and it took a few seconds for her to realise that he was retrieving her dog-tags. They clinked together as he pulled them from under her t-shirt. An honour? Hardly. Guest for a few days. Sam looked around. Swallowed. Looked back to the Captain.

"Thanks for the invitation but erm... this isn't really my kind of place. I got a real comfortable spot about 30 clicks south of her I think. So... whilst I'm sure your hospitality is real good, I think I'd rather be getting back." Tin smiled but said nothing. He walked away to a small cabinet next to his desk. There was a wooden jug on it and a few roughly crafted cups next to it. Tin lifted the jug and one of the cups and then turned to look at Sam. Slowly he poured out some clean fresh water before putting the jug down. He walked back to Sam. Sam was thirsty. It had been way more than 12 hours since she had had a drink and through all that time she had walked. And walked. Sam was really thirsty. She looked at the cup and then at the Captain. Saw that same smile coming back to her.

'"Well I guess I could have one drink before I go." Sam turned a little indicating that her hands were still tied. The Captain shook his head a little but stepped closer. He brought the cup to her lips and tipped it. Sam was very thirsty but Tin seemed willing to let her drink as much as she wanted. Even so it was not the easiest of things to manage particularly with the way the cup was made and Sam's t-shirt became a little wetter - not that it made any real difference.

"As I say, you WILL be my guest for the next few days. It will take that much time for your transfer to be arranged. But I can assure you that you will not be returning to your associates in the foreseeable future." The water had been good. Sam felt better than she had done for a few hours - although everything was relative. Her shoulders ached both from the fact that her hands were behind her but also because of the number of times she had fallen. Despite feeling better, she still couldn't see anyway out of this. She was on her own and she hadn't been trained for escape and evasion. Shooting a rifle was about the most she knew even though Morgan and Kowalski had been trying to teach her more. Escape and evasion had most definitely not been on the curriculum. Sam shook her head.

"I don't know anything Captain. I'm a nurse. I was visiting a village. Tending the sick. I don't have any... combat information." The Captain looked at her.

"I'm sure you know more than you think, but your knowledge is not what is the most valuable." He stepped near again having returned the cup to the cabinet. "Imagine how it will appear to the world to see a beautiful American woman... an officer in the United States Army... criticising the imperial war mongering government of the United States of America. One of its very own children arguing for the rights of the Vietnamese people... arguing against the criminal actions of her own country." Sam smirked and shook her head.

"Its not going to happen."

"We shall see."

Sam was quite the prize for Captain Tin. Her capture and the uses of her image would be very helpful to the cause of North Vietnam. She would benefit Tin greatly in his career. This was certainly a major feather in his cap. Tin moved around the room as he told Sam what would happen next. He first said escape for her was impossible. There wasn't much of a chance she could find her away back to her base. Plus, his men would catch her long before she could get far. Tin suggested that Sam forget any thoughts of getting away. She was here now and would stay here until she could be taken to North Vietnam. Tin then spoke of how Sam would be taken from here. He said Sam could get clean up before she came back. Sadly, Tin pointed out that the camp had no proper showers and none for females. There was an open area where the men had a make shift shower. It was pretty much a hose hung from a tree. Tin said Sam would clean herself in full view of the guards. He did state that she wouldn't be harmed in anyway. Tin told Sam that once she was cleaned, she would be brought back too see him again. They could then continue their talk. Sam needed to understand there was no hope for her. No one would be coming after her. She was now a prisoner with no rights. The life she once knew was gone and as new one was waiting for her.

Tin told the guard to take Sam outside. The guard was told to see that Sam got cleaned up and then brought back unharmed. The guard took Sam by the arm and pulled her towards the door. Two more guards waited just outside the door on either side. They would accompany Sam to the area where the make shift shower was set up. The three men all armed with AK-47's walked with Sam. One in front and two just behind her. The area were Sam was taken was behind the large hut where the men would eat their meals. It also served as the building where missions were gone over by Captain Tin. The first guard told Sam to strip. He of course spoke in Vietnamese, but she would get the idea. He freed her hands before pushing her towards the tree. The three men took up positions surrounding Sam. Each of them watched and waited for Sam to reveal her body.

As Tin spoke, Sam's heart sank. She knew that he was almost certainly telling the truth. She couldn't see that there was anyway out. But maybe... she had to watch for an opportunity. Her chances might be slim but Morgan and Kowalski would not be very impressed if she just capitulated without even trying. She blanched a little at the thought of Morgan. Remembered him lying in the ditch. Said the silent prayer again. Then she realised what Tin was saying. A cold shower. A cold shower in public. A prisoner with no rights. Certainly no rights to privacy. Sam hesitated for a moment. She wanted to object; but she knew that it wouldn't make any difference. Then she felt the pull as the soldier behind her took her arm firmly and pulled. She resisted for a moment but the man pulled a little harder and Sam relented. She stepped out into the humid air again, the rain having done little to lighten things up. She half walked, half stumbled arose the open square, then down a track between two buildings and behind the larger of the two. The track opened up into a small clearing on the edge of the jungle. At the base of some of the trees, the grounds was black and muddy - more so than just from the rain the previous night. Over the top of it though some wooden boards had been built into a long frame. Hose pipes were then strung up in the trees. It was crude to say the least. Entirely functional with no home comforts... no comforts of any kind. Never again would she complain about the showers at Camp Baker. She would give a months pay for that shower right now. Sam suddenly felt one of the men take hold of her wrists and pull them up sharply making her squeal, before she felt him cut the leather strap and push her forwards. She groaned loudly as her shoulders complained at the strange movement and then stumbled forward as one of the soldiers said something to her and waved the long barrel of the AK-47 in the direction of the shower.

"Dải! Quần áo ra! Vội vàng."

"I don't understand. I don't know what you want." Sam had a pretty good idea what they wanted but she wasn't going to make it easy. She was a long way from beaten yet. The soldier nearest to her lifted the rifle and loaded it. She stood a little straighter. Tin had said she wouldn't be harmed but she wasn't entirely sure that these guys knew how to follow orders.

"The Captain won't be very happy if you take me back there with a bullet hole in me." She knew that they couldn't understand her any more than she could them. One of the men walked up to her. he moved suddenly, turned his rifle and jabbed the butt hard into her stomach. Sam doubled over and then collapsed down onto her knees, coughing, her arms wrapped around her stomach. There were a few times in her life where she felt metaphorically as if she had been punched. She had never actually been punched before. She had never felt anything like this before. But almost as soon as she landed on her knees, a hand pulled her back up by her hair. She squealed.

"Dải! Quần áo ra! Vội vàng."

"Okay... okay... give me a minute... shit..." She stood up cautiously. "You son of a bitch" She stared at them for a moment, saw all of them grinning expectantly. She reached for the bottom of her t-shirt and lifted it over her head. It took her a little less than a minute to undress, until she was standing wearing nothing other than her dog tags. The men were enjoying the show. At their direction she moved under one of the hoses as one of the soldiers moved and turned on a tap. A few seconds later, ice cold water started to descend on Sam. It nearly took her breath away. A bar of soap was tossed in her direction, landing at her feet. She needed to get this over with as quickly as possible. She tried to forget the men who were watching her. She turned her back and cleaned off the sweat and the dirt from the walk through the night. The soldiers were in no hurry though and any time Sam suggested that she was done, they waved the rifle again indicating that she needed to stay. The system that they had rigged up was pretty good in terms of water pressure. Sam guessed if the other hoses had been working too it would have been a little different, but the water jet was strong. And it was cold. Her skin ached from the cold. Finally, she was allowed to step out. There was no towel but she was thrown a pair of black pyjama bottoms and a white cotton top. The outfit was was you would see women wearing up and down the country as they worked in the fields. The cotton stuck to her wet skin initially but it felt warm. Despite the humidity, she was shivering as she dressed as quickly as she could before she was led back the way they had come. Back to the HQ and back to Captain Tin. Back up the steps and inside. Nothing had changed. The radio operator was still there. Captain Tin was stood at the large table, looking over the maps when she came back in. When he saw her, he smiled. Now he was going to begin her education.

Captain Tin went about his days work while Sam was taken out to shower. He was sure his men would get an eyeful of this America female's body. It was very uncommon to find an America woman in the jungle. It was even more uncommon too see one naked in real life. Some of the men had seen a few pictures of naked America females. But it wasn't the same as seeing one in the flesh right in front of you and glistening wet with water. Captain Tin received word from Hanoi about his prisoner. They were pleased by what Tin found in the south. Having an American female officer would play well on those news reports. Captain Tin waited for Sam's return. He had so much to talk with her about. Tin flashed a smile when Sam was brought back into his office. He walked over too where she stood. Tin placed his hands onto Sam's upper arms just below her shoulders. " You must feel much better now....... You certainly look much prettier with all that dirty removed from your face. " Tin said while he held Sam. He then turned back to his map table. Tin walked over, reached down and picked up a riding crop. He slowly turned back towards Sam. Tin still wore the smile on his face. " I've heard from Hanoi.......They are pleased to know you'll be visiting them soon......A special group will be arriving in a few days......They'll take you to Hanoi where you'll start your new life. " Captain Tin slowly started walking around Sam as he spoke. He tapped the riding crop against his leg while moving. Tin said how he was to make sure Sam was properly educated in what was expected of her.

Tin made a stop just behind Sam. He placed the leather patch on the end of his riding crop on the inside part of her left leg. Tin let the leather patch slowly move upwards until it was between Sam's legs. " From this point forward......You will address me as Captain Tin or Sir.........Do I make myself clear Lieutenant? " While Tin spoke, he pressed the leather patch hard against Sam's pussy. The captain already had plans for Sam while she was under his care. He may as well enjoy what time he had with her. She'd soon by heading north to a new master.

The soldier who led her back into the HQ hooch let go of her arm and stepped back leaving Sam standing in the middle of the room. The light fabric of the white shirt was taking on a slightly translucent look as the water from her skin and her still wet hair socked into it. Her nipples, still hard from the cold water of the shower, were clearly visible. Sam's attention was elsewhere at the moment. She watched him closely as he moved around the table towards her. There was something about his smile that Sam didn't like, something which unnerved her. He may have appeared particularly friendly and helpful, but Sam was suspicious to say the least. She didn't trust the man at all. She watched as he picked up the riding crop. Why would he have a crop? There were no horses here? He tapped the crop slowly as he paced, the leather of the crop clicking against the leather of his boot. She watched him as he walked in front of her then listened as he walked behind her.

"I never was one for doing what was expected of me. No matter what the teachers at school did." Tin said nothing initially. He was behind her...and then she felt the crop on her leg. Only the thin black fabric separating the leather from her skin. She swallowed hard. Tensed. She felt the crop moving up. She inched up with it, drawing herself taller, but there was only so far she could go. The crop went higher. She closed her eyes and heard Tin telling her what she should call him.

"I'll try and remember that." She stubbornly left off the epithet. Tin gave a sharp snap of his wrist and the crop tip snapped against her pussy,. She winced. Clenched her jaw. Another snap. Such a small movement but he managed to get enough power to generate a sharp slap.

"Yes Sir." Sam said through gritted teeth. Tin smiled. He was certainly going to have a little fun and the fact this American appeared to have some spirit was going to make it all the more enjoyable.

" Very good Lieutenant. " Tin said after leaning forwards a bit more. His head as over Sam's right shoulder as he spoke. The warmth of his breathe could be felt on her neck and ear. Tin pulled back keeping the smile on his face. He started to speak again of Sam's new life. She would be used as a tool against the American Government and their war effort. Tin knew that things were going badly back in the states. The public had turned against the war in great numbers after Tet. Rallies and marches were happening all over the country. People carrying signs reading "Stop the War" & "Bring our Troops Home" were among many seen on television. Tin spoke of how Sam would do filmed interviews where she would denounce her country and the war. He said she would call the war a crime. While speaking, Tin admired Sam's body. The outfit she was currently wearing didn't do her any justice. Sam had a body which should be highlighted by what she was wearing. Tin snapped his fingers and a man came into the room. This man had a camera and he snapped a few pictures of Sam standing there. Tin said these pictures would be sent north ahead of her. He hinted that someone up there wanted too see her before she arrived.

The photographer left as quickly as he came in. Tin slowly moved around to Sam's front again. He spoke of how close they would get before she left. Tin then told Sam to follow him. He walked towards the divided wall. He stopped and held his hand out offering Sam to chance to go first. This area behind the main office was used for storage. It held more maps and a few boxes. There was a door just to the right which led into Captain Tin's quarters. It would be more private there for their talk to continue. Tin held the smile while saying to Sam "After you." His eyes moving over every inch of her body. Tin would get to know Sam's body and enjoy it. Whether she enjoyed it, was of no concern.

Sam closed her eyes again as the man leaned over her shoulder. She turned her head away as she felt his breath on her neck. This couldn't be happening. Then thankfully he pulled away. What he then said took Sam somewhat by surprise. He couldn't be serious. Sam stared back at him as he walked around. He couldn't really believe that tgat was what she was going to do. In 1965 and 1966 it was true she had taken part in a couple of anti-war demonstrations at College. In February 1965 the draft had been 3000 guys a months but by October it had risen to 33,000 and maybe if it hadn't been for her friend's death she might have continued protesting against the war. But the war wasn't the fault of the soldiers fighting it and where she disagreed with most protesters now was in their aggression towards soldiers. The had all heard rumours about My Lai but they also knew the overwhelming majority of soldiers were good men caught in a nightmare of circumstances created and continued by political masters. But Sam was not a traitor. She could not foresee a world where she was going to do what Tin said. She was somewhat stunned by the suggestion and the photographer will have gotten something of a surprised look in his pictures. She said nothing as she followed Tin's direction and tentatively stepped past him through into the back office and then into Tin's quarters. It was extremely tidy; simple. Not overly personal and very functional. She watched Tin close the door.

"I my not exactly be the US government's biggest supporter, but you're a fool if you think I'm going to be a traitor to my country and to the men I serve with. I'm sure there are criminals in the US Army... Just as there are in the NVA, but I'm not going to call every soldier a criminal. They're not. So... You can go to hell... Sir."

Captain Tin waited by the door he just closed as Sam began to speak. He slowly moved away then circled around her. Sam continued to speak about how she wasn't a traitor to her country, or the men she served with. Tin admired Sam for her brave speech, but that wouldn't change what was expected of her. He knew that those up north had ways of making people do what they wanted. Some of those ways were most extreme and often brutal. There were people up north who broke tougher soldiers then Sam was. Tin didn't think Sam would last long under real torture. " That was so very brave......And noble of you Lieutenant. " Tin spoke while still wearing his smile. He then brought the leather patch of his riding crop upwards. It struck Sam sharply on her left cheek. Not hard enough to do any damage. Just enough to sting and to let her know her brave words wouldn't do her any good. " When you get to the north......You'll meet people who aren't as kind as I can be......They have ways of making you do and say anything. " Tin said while he turned and walked towards his desk. He bent down and opened a drawer. Tin reached in and pulled out a bottle of American whiskey. He opened the bottle after grabbing a glass. Tin poured some of the whiskey into the glass until it was half full.

" Your brave words will only bring you more pain......That little slap will be nothing when compared to what will happen if you don't do as told. " Tin said while replacing the top back on the bottle. He picked up the glass before slowly walking over to Sam. He confessed to having a taste for many things America had. Tin spoke of a time during World War II when America supported those who became the NVA and VC. He talked of that being before his time, but stories had been told too him of those days. Tin took a drink of whiskey before offering Sam a taste. He asked if she liked the fine taste of America whiskey? Tin said it was one of the great things her country had. He added that American women were also a fine produce of her country. Tin spoke of how an American woman would fetch a high price on the streets of Hanoi. While speaking, Tin placed his free hand onto Sam's right hips. His hand slowly worked around until her ass cheek was in his grasp. He squeezed it while smiling.

Sam stepped into the room. She had a bad feeling about this. She needed to find a way out, an escape route however ridiculous the idea of escape might have seemed. She watched him as he walked around her. The strike took her by surprise, she yelped a little as her head snapped right and her refer hand came up to her cheek. She could feel the slight welt already starting to ruse under her fingers.

"Son of a...." She cursed under her breath. As she brought her head back she glared at Tin who simply stared back at her smiling smugly. She held her tongue although not without some effort as he walked and poured himself a drink. She listened as he spoke of his preference for American things and didn't move when he stepped immediately in front of her and offered her a drink. She hesitated for a moment and then gave a single shake of her head.

"I don't socialize with the enemy captain and i don't like hypocrites. You condemn the United States but freely admit to liking what it has to offer. You complain about capitalism and are happy to kill people you think subscribe to that ideology or fight to defend the freedom it encompasses but at the same time you are quite happy to enjoy the fruits of it." Sam flinched a little as she felt tin's hand move onto her hip as she was speaking and then to her ass.

"Take your hand off me ... Captain!" Sam spoke clearly but softly. And she waited.

Morgan sat against the wall feeling like shit. He'd been hung over too many times to count. However, none of those times matched the headache he had right now. The two guards returned a short time later. Another man was with them. This man turned out to be the camp's doctor. He was let into Morgan's cell. The doctor looked Morgan over for a few minutes. He gave Morgan some more water during his examination. Morgan sat there listening to the guards standing near the door. They spoke of an American female being with the camp's commander. Morgan was sure they were talking about Sam. How many other American women were wandering around the jungles these days? Morgan's hope that Sam got away were dashed. All that he could hope for now that she would look after herself. He doubted that they would let him see her. The guards didn't know Morgan spoke Vietnamese and he wanted to keep it that way. Before leaving, the doctor gave Morgan something for his headache. At least now, Morgan could feel a little better. Morgan downed the pills with the last of his water. He leaned his head backwards against the thatch wall. Morgan let out a sigh, along with a silent prayer that if Sam got a chance to escape. She'd take it, keep going and not look back.

Captain Tin continued to wear that smile. Even when Sam demanded he removed his hand. Part of Tin knew this woman would get hurt up north. Such brave stupidity was met with brutal actions. Tin knew that Sam's pretty face would end up damaged. At least her ass & pussy would be intact. That's all anyone really needed from her. Tin let out a sigh while shaking his head. He did remove his hand from her ass. Tin used that hand to strike Sam acrossed the face. " You are a dumb cunt!........The life you once knew is over!.......You have a new one waiting up north!......You'll never see your base or your home again! " Tin said after grabbing Sam by the hair. This was the first time the smile disappeared from his face. " It's time you understand these facts and start acting like a grateful American whore! " Captain Tin growled out while tightening his grip in Sam's hair.

Sam hadn't really thought about the consequences of telling Tin to remove his hand. She had simply decided that she was not going to easily concede anything to him. She hadn't expected the the force of the blow, even with an open hand. This time it wasn't simply her head that snapped right. She was completely knocked off balance and fell hard against a small cabinet. The edge dug into her hip as her arms flayed out desperate to break the fall. As it was half fell over it, half banged into it, was mostly held up by it. Without it being there, she would have been on the floor. She groaned loudly and behind tightly closed eyes, she could literally see stars. She was bringing her left hand up to her cheek where a bruise was already forming on the bone and the soft flesh around it when she felt him grabbing hold of her by her hair. She squealed and her right hand gripped around something. At that moment she didn't know what it was. Metallic. Square. All edges. As Tin pulled her up sharply, her unconscious mind turned her defence to offence. She swung her right arm with every bit of strength she could muster. She wasn't even conscious of aiming at anything in particular. She simply swung. It was an ashtray. A large square silver ashtray. And it connected hard with the side of Tin's head. He went down even harder and was unconscious before he hit the floor. Only after she felt the contact did she open her eyes. Breathing hard, and with her left hand still at her cheek she stared down at the body motionless on the floor. She looked up at the door. Held her breath. No-one came. She looked back down. He was out cold. Maybe he was dead. She knelt down and felt for a pulse. He was still alive. But he was out cold. This was perhaps going to be the only chance she had. She looked around, trying to get her brain to think clearly. She needed to be quick. She needed to give herself time. As much time as possible. She pulled Tin up so that he was propped up against the cabinet. She opened a couple of drawers, found some ties and some rolled up balls of socks. She took some of the ties and secured Tin's wrists behind him as tightly as she could. Then she did the same to his ankles, tying the ties over the top of his boots and his pants. Finally she took the ball of socks and pushed them into his mouth before tying a tie around that to keep them inside. By the time she was finished she was sweating. Breathing hard. She headed towards the window which fortunately faced out back and was about to climb out before another thought came to her. She went back over to Tin's still unconscious body. She took his pistol from the holster on his hip. She went back to the drawers, found a small box of ammunition and a sheathed bowie knife. It has a 7-8inch blade and a dark brown leather handle. She tucked the knife into the back of her pants, slipped the ammunition into her pocket but kept the pistol in her hand. The pistol was a Makarov PM.9.5mm automatic weapon, not that Sam knew that; she knew it wasn't the same as the Colt that the Army issued to her. The grip was much bulkier for a start, but she guessed in probably worked in about the same way. She found what she guessed was the safety catch at the rear of the slide and checked that it was fully loaded. She gave a last look to Tin who was still out and then she climbed quietly out.

Once outside she looked left and right and took a breath. Now what the hell was she supposed to do? She crept to the side of the building and looked around it cautiously. She could see enough to get her bearings and work out which way she had been brought into the compound. She wanted to head out the same way. The chances of her finding her way back based on memory was slim. She knew roughly what time it was... mid morning... she knew from the sun which was was south. She just needed to head south. She moved as quickly and as quietly as she could and hope that Tin wouldn't wake up for a while and that nobody needed him in a hurry. She moved around behind each building, cautiously checking each window before she passed. The first two windows showed rooms which were entirely empty. As she approached the third, she heard voices... talking in vietnamese. She cursed herself and made a silent promise that if she ever got back to the world and assuming that Morgan was already there, she was going to get him to teach her some vietnamese. Her heart was pounding as she approached the window trying not to make a sound and hoping that their conversation would mean that noise outside was the last thing that would peek their interest. Then she stopped. She could have sworn she heard a cell door being closed. Heard a heavy metal clanking against metal. She braced herself and began to edge a look around the the window. This window was different to the others. There were bars on it. Closely spaced. She pulled back on seeing the first bar. Listened. Heard footsteps. Heard a door. Silence. She steeled herself for another look. She was really hoping to see nothing. An empty room. Another explanation for what she heard... or thought she heard. When she did finally see around the window, she almost cried out. She saw the man who, at that moment in time, she wanted to see least of all.

"Dan?" It came out as a question in a loud whisper.

"What the... oh shit... " she disappeared from the window. Now it wasn't just about her. She had to get him out. If she was going, she wasn't going to leave him behind. She couldn't. 'Leave no man behind'; that was the rule. She moved around the building. Peering around one corner, then the next. She looked quickly for the door and then stepped back. Maybe five or six paces from the corner. She needed to moved quickly and confidently and hope that luck was on her side. She took a breath... and then stepped out. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. She was inside and was closing the door behind her. Breathing hard. Morgan was on his feet. Wide-eyed. Staring at her. She looked around and spotted the keys hanging on a metal loop on a hook. She retrieved them quickly and moved to the cell door.

"You gotta know, more than anything, I wish you weren't here, but you know what..." she fumbled with the keys in the lock in her hurry. "... I don't think I have ever been more happy to see you." Finally she managed to yank the door open and she rushed inside, ran straight into him and wrapped her arms around him. Squeezing. Holding tight. Then she let go.

"Can you walk?"

Morgan was feeling better, but a good night sleep back in his bunk would make things truly great. There was little hope of that happening. Morgan was already thinking of a way to escape. Although, it seemed rather unlikely he could get away anytime soon. Morgan knew there was no chance of getting the keys. He thought of grabbing one of the guards when they came in. However, that plan seemed a little crazy. One guard always remained back away from the cell. While he could overpower one guard, the other would most likely shoot him. That didn't make for a good escape plan. Morgan had decided, he needed to wait for the right moment. He was sure they wouldn't be keeping him here. Most prisoners were sent northward where they were treated as war criminals. Morgan fully expected to be tortured unless he denounced America's involvement in the Vietnam War. Speaking out against his own country is something Morgan would never do. No matter how much he was tortured. Morgan needed to escape, but doing so would take time and careful planning. It was then he heard the door opening. Morgan expected too see the guards coming back. His first thought was that perhaps they would be taking him too see the camp's commander.

Morgan was more then just a little stunned too see a female coming in. He wondered if this was some image caused by his head injury? It couldn't be real, could it? Morgan started to rise as the female started too look more like Sam. His eyes grew wider as she came closer. Had he died right here in the cell and gone to heaven? The words Sam spoke hardly even registered in Morgan's mind while she fumbled with the keys. Suddenly the door was open and a very real Sam rushed in. Morgan was sure if he did die and went to heaven. This is what it would be like. Spending eternity in Sam's arms. It quickly became clear that Sam was very real. Her body, no matter how good heaven was, couldn't feel as good as the real thing. Morgan finally caught Sam's words. He nodded his head before saying he could walk. Morgan had so many questions for Sam. How did she get here? Where did they keep her? How did she get those pajamas on? Morgan knew his questions needed to wait. He had, perhaps his only shot at freedom. Sam would need to take the lead since Morgan was still not 100%. The bandage on his head would tell Sam what happened. " We better get while we can. " Morgan said as he looked Sam over. She was a sight for sore eyes. Morgan was damn glad she wasn't just in his mind.

Sam looked at him and smiled broadly. She reached up and placed her hand softly on his cheek.

"I am so glad to see you." She shifted her gaze and tried to make a quick visual assessment of his head injury. She nodded as he said they needed to move.

"When we get some time I'll take a look but you're right. We need to move. I don't know how long my absence will remain undiscovered. With a little luck we might have an hour... Maybe more. With no luck... Who knows." She looked over to the door, then around the room. Thinking. There was nothing in here. She looked back to Morgan, her smile gone.

"Hardest bit is going to be right outside that door. The door overlooks a bit of a square. It's pretty quiet but there is nowhere really to hide. We're either going to get seen and someone will realize who we are, or we're not and or they won't." She tried to think through the best way to do this and to hide as much of Morgan as she could. With the way she was dressed, someone not looking that closely might not see her presence as being anything out of the ordinary.

"Okay. You walk on my right. We're going to walk out the door and immediately turn right. You'll be between me and the hootch wall. I can't hide you entirely but maybe just enough... We'll turn right, walk about 6 steps then turn right again. A few more steps and we're at the back of the hootches. Then we can move a little easier, out of sight and get the hell out of here. Okay." Morgan nodded. They stepped out of the cell and across to the door. Sam took a quick look out of a small window. She saw nothing to say they should wait. And they didn't. Sam opened the door and the two of them walked out confidently and purposely. Morgan made sure the door was closed behind them and then a few long seconds later, they were between the structures...then behind them. Both let out a sigh of relief although they were not altogether safe. They started to move again quickly. This wasn't the place to loiter. It took 10 minutes to get out of the village and into what ironically became the relative safety of the jungle. But they didn't stop there. They didn't stop for another 10 minutes. There was still no sign that anyone realized they were gone yet but Sam needed to make sure Morgan was okay and if they were going to do this, she needed him.

"Let's stop here. Let me check you out." Morgan protested a little, said he was fine and said he'd been seen by a doctor in the cell. She nodded. "Okay, but you gotta let me know if you feel sick." She looked around. "I figure we just need to head south. We head south, we'll hit the border. Hopefully run across a US patrol. You gotta keep me right though Sargeant. Here. I think you'll manage this better than me." She handed him the Russian pistol.

What Sam & Morgan didn't know was that, after becoming over due. Colonel Bates sent out a patrol to find them. The patrol lead by Kowalski came acrossed the wrecked jeep. Kowalski and his small force were able to follow the tracks left behind by the VC. It was clear that both Sam & Morgan had been captured. Two sets of tracks headed north west, following two different paths, but heading the same way. The first set featured a person in American combat boots. From the size, Kowalski guessed this was Sam. In the second set of tracks. Two pairs of footprints were heavier then the rest. This told Kowalski that someone was carried. His guess was that Morgan was injured and carried away. Kowalski and his team report back to Camp Baker with their findings. Colonel Bates gave his okay for a mission he knew would lead a team into Cambodia. To bates, this was a small matter. Bates knew how the North Vietnamese would use Sam and it had nothing to do with sex. She would become a huge PR tool for them. Bates knew no one above him would take any blame for a woman being in a combat zone. Women weren't allowed in the field, but Sam's case was different. She was a great experiment. Those running the war from Saigon and Washington DC wanted to know how well a woman could function while out in the field and under fire. No one outside of Camp Baker would have any knowledge of Sam Keller. That's what they could say. It would be Bates who fried for letting Sam in the field. Bates couldn't let Sam be taken north. She needed to be brought back at all cost.

Bates sent Kern out with a full strike team. He was told to follow the tracks to where ever they led. Kern and his team would then locate Sam and bring her home. Kern found it odd that Bates didn't seem to care about whether Morgan made it back, or was found. Bates wasn't fucking Morgan on a regular bases like he was with Sam. Plus reporting Morgan as a POW wouldn't cost Bates his rank and career. Kern led a team of Kowalski, Spade, Motown, Cruz, Cobb, Tony and six others. This 13 man team was well armed and well supplied. Using the barrings Kowalski first found, the strike team headed right for Cambodia. Crossing over into that country was forbidden expect in this case. Officially, this mission wasn't even happening. Kern and his men were listed as being on routine patrol.

Back at the VC base camp. No one had noticed Sam was gone. Tin was still tied up and gagged. His men wouldn't be expecting him until at least lunchtime. They thought he would be having fun with the newly found American whore. The guards weren't due to check on Morgan until they brought his lunch. That wouldn't happen until the guards ate theirs. Sam & Morgan would get a few hours head start and they would need it. Because once they were found to be gone. Captain Tin would send his entire force after them. He couldn't let Sam get away. She was too valuable to his career. It was funny how important Sam had become to two different officers and their careers. Morgan was felling okay. The pills the VC doctor gave him were working. He however knew that bed rest was needed. This wouldn't be coming anytime soon. Sam & Morgan needed to stay on the run. The further they got from the VC base, the better it was for them. Morgan took the pistol from Sam. He stashed into his pants. Morgan pointed the way south. He told Sam they could rest once in a while, but it would be best to keep moving. Morgan was tough and he would fight through anything that popped up from his injury. " Let's keep moving. " Morgan said while they continued on.

Sam was beyond tired and whilst she knew that Morgan was a lot stronger than she was, she imagined he felt pretty much the same way and he was also suffering from a concussion. They had already walked through the previous night; it was more than 24 hours since either of them had slept and now they faced another 12-14 hour trek to get anywhere near home. And that was if luck was on their side. That was assuming Tin's men didn't catch them up once he was discovered or that they didn't walk straight into another random NVA or VC patrol. Sam also wasn't best dressed for a jungle trek. The locals might have been quite used to trekking long distances in pyjamas and relatively soft shoes, but Sam would have given anything at that moment for combat pants and army boots.

As they walked she was very conscious of Morgan's steps a few paces behind her. A little more heavy footed that usual but she was happier than a pig in muck that he was there with her. Periodically he would give odd instructions about watching her feet or taking one track rather than another. The hours ticked by. The need for water started to become an issue for both of them but simply drinking it from a stream was most definitely not an option. They needed to get home or find a US patrol.

Three hours after they had made their way quietly out of the camp, Tin's men were leaving. Sam's luck had held in that respect. The soldier on the radio had revived an important message from the north about when the party would come to fetch their prized prisoner. He had no doubt what his commanding officer was doing with her in his private quarters and he really didn't want to interrupt. He enjoyed some time imagining himself in the same position and what he might do, but when he'd waited an hour and there had still been no sign of him, he went and knocked on the door. Maybe he might catch site of her undressed as a bonus. When he got no response, he became concerned, and had tentatively entered the room. It then had taken the best part of an hour to get him conscious enough to order the full search. He wanted the whore back.

Morgan was tired, more tired then he'd ever felt at any other time on his life. He could easily lay down right now and fall asleep. This was something that couldn't be done. Morgan would push himself on. He would keep moving and keep fighting until they reached safety, or they were dead. Morgan didn't want to be captured again. He would prefer death over a cell in Hanoi. Morgan remained close too Sam. He did his best to help guide her along the path they were taking. Morgan knew the area would be littered with booby traps. Mines and such nasty little things. To avoid must of these, Morgan had Sam stay off the normal paths. It wasn't always easy moving through the thick jungle, but it was safer. The temp was almost unbearable. Water was badly needed, but not advisable to drink for certain reasons. Morgan & Sam did get some refreshment from jungle plants which held liquid and was safe to drink. Certain vines could be broken and the nectarine consumed. While it wasn't water and there wasn't a lot, it did give some relief from thirst.

Sooner or later, it had to happen. Tin was freed by one of his men. He was brought around and realized what happened. Tin ordered the area searched. This turned up the fact that Morgan was gone. Tin assumed Sam had found him and taken him with her. He gathered his men then gave them their orders. Tin wanted the female American back, but her male companion would suffer torture before being executed. Tin led his men, emptying his entire base. This mission was for all, or nothing. If Sam escaped, Tin would suffer greatly. It would be better for him to die while hunting her then return without her. Tin's force was 25 men which he split into two groups. One group he led, the other was led by his second in command. The trail which Sam & Morgan used was easy to follow at first. This changed the further out from the base they got. Morgan's plan for keeping off the path slowed Tin and his men down. The two groups had to move in different directions since it wasn't clear where the escapees were heading. Morgan was by now having Sam create false trails. It would appear they had gone one way while they really headed another. Morgan knew misleading the enemy would keep them guessing. They would need to check every broken branch and footprint. Tin couldn't afford not to let these signs go unchecked. Meanwhile, Sam & Morgan pushed on. The constant moving was taking a toll on Morgan, but he wouldn't give up. Kern and his team reached the boarder. They crossed into Cambodia and continued on towards what intelligence said was a VC base. This base was the same one which Tin commanded and which Sam & Morgan were fleeing from. It was now a matter of time and luck. Who would reach whom first?

It became a process of simply putting one foot in front of another. One step after another...and another....and another. As the hours ticked by the steps became less accurate. More heavy. Instead of traipsing through a stiflingly hot jungle with Morgan a few paces behind her, she was wishing she was back in Saigon, in the hotel, with crisp white sheets and with Morgan lying by her side with his arms wrapped around her. That thought kept her putting one step in front of another knowing she was getting one step closer to that being a possibility.

And then she was aware that the footsteps weren't behind her anymore. She stopped and turned around. Morgan was stood. Statue-still. She was confused but something inside her told her what this was...what was happening. Morgan looked more alert than he had been since she found him. She knew he was hurting but there was something else in his expression now. Was it fear? He looked down. She followed his gaze although there was nothing to see.

"Is it a wire?" She asked dreading the answer. Morgan's voice was strangely calm, though his emotions were anything but.

"No, no wire. I figure it’s a pressure plate." Sam stood stock still, aware that the slightest movement could end in the death of both of them. She mentally worked at staying focused.

"What the hell are we supposed to do now? I can’t get you off that thing! I’ll blow us both to hell." That her own nervousness was doing nothing to help the sergeant didn’t enter into her mind. She was simply reacting to the unbelievable reality of the situation. Morgan hadn’t moved a muscle since he heard the click. He could feel the sweat on his forehead escape his headband and begin tracing a path down his face, but he was powerless to wipe it away. A sense of unreality began creeping in as he tried to take stock of his situation. Well into his third full combat tour, he couldn’t believe he'd been stupid enough not to notice where he planted his foot. That was a cherry mistake. And it could very well end up being his last. He watched by moving only his eyes as Sam crouched near his feet in an attempt to get a better look at the NVA land mine. He was afraid to even breathe, though he gave no outward sign of fear. When Sam looked up at him, Morgan saw the unreality he felt mirrored in the lieutenant’s eyes. In that split second, he made his decision.

"Look Sam, the way I see it, we don’t have much choice here. You’re gonna have to keep going. Try and find a US patrol. I’ll wait here ‘til ya get back." He smiled a lopsided grin. "It’s not like I got someplace else to be right now anyway."

For a moment, Sam almost agreed with him. She could feel herself being taken in by the suggestion, could feel a sense of relief that maybe this would work and they would both live to fight another day. As she looked at the composed features of the man she was facing, another thought broke through. She had no idea how long it might take to find an American patrol...if ever. Add to that the time it would take to radio for help and get someone back here, and she realized that it could be hours before help came. Hours during which the sergeant would have to stand perfectly still, like a sitting duck in the jungle. Even if he managed to have no enemy contact whatsoever, the physical and emotional strain of standing on a bomb for that long would be more than any man could endure. Even Dan Morgan. And she suddenly realized that Morgan knew that as well, that he had no intention of waiting it out. He was simply sending Sam away to spare her. Sam rose to her feet and leveled her gaze to meet the older man’s eyes. Morgan returned the look, and knew then that Sam wasn’t falling for his suggestion. He decided that being blunt was his only hope.

"Sam, you gotta go. Ain’t no point in your bein' here. Just keep on this heading..," he said persuasively, his eyes pleading with Sam to understand. Sam looked down, then back up.

"Forget it, Dan. I’m not goin’ anywhere." Morgan could feel his voice rising, even as he struggled to keep from shifting his weight the slightest bit. "Sam, you said yourself ya can’t get me off of this thing. We both know that’s true. Now, if it’s my time to go, it’s my time to go. But I am sure as HELL not gonna take you with me." He stared at her with a fierce determination to see her to safety.

"I already told you, I’m not leaving. Maybe I don’t know how to get you off this mine. But I’ve watched you do it. You’re just gonna have to tell me what to do. And don’t bother protesting, Sergeant, because if you don’t tell me, I’ll just try it my own way and we’ll both end up getting fragged." The challenge in his eyes matched the frustration in Morgan's. Time seemingly stopped as both stood their ground, neither one wanting to give in. Morgan said nothing as Sam stared at him. Sam again knelt down and pulled out the knifestorm her pants and then outfrom the sheath. She had the tip nearly touching the ground when she heard Morgan's voice break the silence.

"Sam, wait." Sam’s hand immediately stayed, and she looked up expectantly at Morgan.

"Use the blade of the knife, not just the tip." Morgan felt somewhat defeated that he had been unable to chase Sam away. But this emotion conflicted with a feeling a gratitude that he would not be left to die alone in this forsaken jungle. Nobody wants to die alone.

"Gently scrape away the dirt until you can find all four edges of the plate. Then, run your tip along the edge 'til you find an opening. You’ll have to wedge your knife in so it stops the plate from springing back when I lift my weight of it. Think ya got that?" The sweat was running down his face in earnest now, and his muscles were starting to cramp from being in the same position. He knew it wouldn’t be long before his arms started to twitch, and that was something he didn’t want to contemplate. Though Morgan’s directions were far from detailed, Sam returned her attention to the land mine her friend and lover was standing upon. With the gentlest of movements, she began to scrape away the soil near Morgan’s boot, praying for a steady hand. She finished clearing the plate and managed to wedge her knife between what she believed was the mechanism set to detonate the mine. She carefully pulled her hand away from the handle of the knife and sat back on herheels. Morgan had never taken her eyes from Sam as she worked. He knew the precise moment she finished, and he waited for Sam to step fully back before he began his own movement. Gently, with infinite care, he started to shift his weight from his left foot to his right. When his right leg supported most of his body, he slowly lifted his boot off of the pressure plate, expecting it to go off any second. With his left foot in the air, he stepped back and placed it firmly behind him, not fully realizing that he was indeed off the mine. He backtracked a few paces in the opposite direction before he bent nearly double his hands on his knees. His breathing became slightly shaky as the full impact of what just occurred started to hit him. Sam watched him silently for a moment, giving him time to collect himself. Then she laid a hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I don’t know if that wedge is going to hold forever, and I want to get out of here before it goes off and Charlie knows exactly where we are. What do you say we get the hell out of here? Morgan stood to full height, visibly working to shake off the tension of the event.

"I heard that," he said. "I hope to God, they got someone out looking for us. I could really do with a drink right now." Sam smiled and wrapped an arm around his waist. "Sounds good to me."

Men like Daniel Morgan weren't made. They were forged by battle like pieces of iron. There was no one who could doubt how brave & tough Morgan was. As a sergeant, Morgan was tough when he needed to be, yet he held great compassion for those under his command. Morgan knew how soldiers should fight and win battles. His views often differed from those in command during Vietnam. But, Morgan wasn't an officer and his views weren't counted on when it came to winning the Vietnam War. His duty was to fight when & where he was told. Morgan's first taste of combat was during the landings at Inchon. It was September and the Korean War was underway. Morgan was a young soldier in the 7th Infantry Division in those days. Like many Americans Soldiers at that time. Morgan was filled with piss & vinegar. He felt 10 feet tall and damn near invincible. Morgan's head was filled with ideas of glory thanks to movies and news reports of brave battles during World War II. War seemed so neat & clean on movie screens. Such foolish ideas would change as the Korean War continued. Morgan finally met enemy action south of Seoul. The North Korean soldiers did little to change how Morgan saw combat. While there was bitter resistance within the City of Seoul and around Kimpo Airport. Most of the North Koreans were fleeing for their lives. No one had expected the United Nation forces to mount an invasion from the sea. Even when it was clear what General Douglas MacArthur was doing. No attempt was made to force the invasion force back into the sea.

In less then a week, UN forces pushed the North Koreans back on their heels. Soon North Korean troops were retreating from all over South Korea. UN forces led by American & British troops were on a race towards the 38th parallel. By mid-October, the North Korean army had been almost completely destroyed. US President Harry S. Truman ordered General MacArthur to advance all units into Korea as quickly as possible to end the war. UN forces pressed on into North Korea. MacArthur boasted the Americans would be home by Christmas and that seemed to be the case. The North Koreans were in full retreat and nothing seemed to be able to stop the advancing Americans. By Thanksgiving of 1950, Morgan was feeling the affects of fighting a war within Korea. It was hot as hell during the summer months and just as cold during the winter. Morgan was hunkered down in a foxhole eating his Thanksgiving day meal and wondered where he would be during Christmas. This war was damn near over, at least as far as the Americans saw it. Two days after Thanksgiving, the Chinese entered the war and changed everything. Including the brash young private named Daniel Morgan.

Morgan's outfit was camped near the Chosin Reservoir when the attack came. His company fought hard against the overwhelming might of the Chinese Army. The battle raged on and men fell on both sides. Then the moment came which could make, or break men in combat. Morgan suddenly found himself alone, expect for the dozen or so Chinese Soldiers who were around him. This was a moment when Morgan realized, he was cut off from his company. He had no one else around him, expect for enemy soldiers. Morgan knew his only choices were surrender, or fight like hell. Deep down, Morgan was scared. His heart was racing, as was his mind. Morgan had seen how American prisoners were tied with barred wire before being shot by North Korean Soldiers. He wasn't sure what the Chinese would do. This bring an understanding that surrender wasn't an option. Morgan fought on alone. He fired his M1 Garand until the last of his ammo was gone. Morgan then used the but of his rifle to continue the fight. Soon, Morgan was down to his bayonet and fists. He fought several Chinese Soldiers in hand to hand combat. Morgan was finally able to get away and rejoin his unit. He was changed forever. Gone were the ideas that war was glorious. Morgan now knew that war was brutal, often uncaring and always bloody. It was never clear how many enemy soldiers Morgan killed that day. He guessed perhaps 15, or 20. It was however possible, Morgan killed closer to 30 on his own. The guys in Morgan's outfit called what he did "Morgan's Last Stand."

Morgan won the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions at the Chosin Reservoir that day. He was always reminded of the fear that gripped him during the battle. It was a fear which Morgan always carried with him. He always believed a soldier who didn't have fear was either stupid, or lying. Morgan used his fear as a way to keep him out of trouble in Vietnam. Normally, Morgan was as careful as they came. Stupid actions is what get's you killed, he always said. Morgan came to a sudden realization that his own stupidity had caught up with him. By not being careful and aware of things around him. Morgan found himself stranded on top of a pressure plate mine. That same fear which gripped his soul back in Korea all those years ago, had returned, but much stronger. Morgan's mind was flooded with what could happen if the mine went off. If he was lucky, Morgan could only lose a leg. It was more likely however, that he'd lose them both, or be blown in half. Morgan saw no point in Sam being here too watch him die. She was smart and could get away on her own. This is why he wanted her to go off on what was truly a hopeless mission. To bring back help when she found it. There was no possible way Morgan could hold out that long. There was no way of knowing if an American patrol would be nearby. Sending Sam away was Morgan's way of getting rid of her. It was like a father sending his child to the store for something not needed just to get the kid out of the house. It seemed for a moment that Sam bought into Morgan's idea. He was sure that she'd take off with the idea of returning. Morgan never expected too see Sam again, but she didn't leave. Sam finally understood what Morgan was doing and she wasn't going to play that game.

Morgan was never so proud of anyone in his life, as he was of Sam. She bravely worked around the mine before placing her knife just under the plate. This allowed Morgan the chance to finally move again. He wanted nothing more then to wrap his arms around Sam. Kiss her, hug her and laugh himself silly. He however knew, such actions would have to wait until they were safe. Morgan found his second wind as they say. He grabbed Sam by the hand and they took off. Captain Tin's forces was growing closer. Morgan's little tricks had fooled them and kept them off the right trail for the most part. However, it was soon clear where the Americans were heading. About 15 minutes after Sam freed Morgan from the mine. Captain Tin and his group of men arrived. The knife still holding the plate of the mine told Tin that the Americans were not far ahead. He believed Sam would be back under his control again and she would pay dearly for escaping. Tin had already planned out how she would be tortured and used.

As time passed, Tin's two forces slowly grew closer even while Sam & Morgan were still heading away. Unknown to anyone, Kern and the men of 1st Platoon were also closing in. It was long before Morgan's gut was telling him, time was quickly running out. He could hear faint sounds coming from the rear. Sometimes it would be a snap of a twig, or branch. Other times it was faint voices speaking. Morgan knew things were getting worse. Part of him wished Sam had left when she had the chance. She could have been much further ahead by now. Morgan would let himself be captured again before letting Sam be taken. That's the thought which made his mind pop. Morgan knew this was Sam's only chance to escape. He was sure Sam wouldn't like his plan, but it was the most logical one. Morgan stopped Sam. He told her that there was no way in hell they could get out of here. The enemy was closing in too quickly. Morgan spoke of how he didn't want Sam ending up in the North Vietnamese hands. He knew how they would hold her up as a prize of war. Morgan also knew that Sam would be used by the enemy in sexual ways. Even if she did get back home. It would be after years of living as a slave under someone's watchful eye. That was something Morgan didn't want for Sam. She had way to much going for her after the war was over. Morgan pleaded with Sam to go. He would use the pistol to keep the enemy busy while she got further ahead. The sounds grew closer and closer. Morgan took up a position behind a tree and some large rocks. He could only hope that Sam would do the right thing and leave. In Morgan's mind, he went back to Korea and the battle at the Chosin Reservoir. He killed a lot of men that day and it seemed that day was playing out again. It was a different time and different place, but the odds were pretty much the same. Morgan had a deep love and great respect for Sam. All he wanted at this moment more then anything, was for her to be somewhere else. He said his goodbye and wished her luck before turning towards where the enemy would appear. Morgan would have spoken of his feelings for Sam, but he was sure she already knew.

Sam stared at Morgan. Her whole body ached. She was hungry and dirty and sweaty and more than anything else she was thirsty. For all Morgan found then enough fluid to keep them alive the idea of a long cold bottle of beer, condensation on the outside of the glass, was begining to take up most of her thoughts. But then he had stopped them. Told her that if they continued together they were not going to make it. Told her that they needed to split up. That she needed to go on alone whilst he stayed. She stared at him, her eyes glassing over with unshed tears. He was giving up. Giving himself up to save her. But how was she supposed to go on knowing that it was at the 'expense' of him. Her life for his. She wasn't sure how she could accept his death, let alone his death for her life. She shook her head. Tried to argue but Morgan wouldn't let her say anything. He had an argument that he wasn't going to give up.

And then somewhere in the distance she heard the NVA. Morgan looked in the same direction as she did...towards the source of the noise...saw nothing and looked back at her. There was more urgency in his voice now. No matter what she said he wasn't moving. Slowly reluctantly she backed away and when he turned his back on her to face the oncoming enemy, only then did she force herself to turn. Only then did the tears fall. She moved through the jungle without any real purpose. Angry and heartbroken and lost and guilty ridden. She wasn't watching where she was supposed to be going. She wasn't moving with any more purpose than to move. She moved for maybe 15 minutes. And then she got lucky.

She could have just as easily walked onto a mine or into some spiked punji stick trap intended to cause slow painful deaths. But she didn't. Instead she walked into an American patrol. One second she was on her own and the next there were five rifles all pointed straight at her. For a second everyone froze. Everyone was as shocked as each other. And then they all realized at the same time. Sam hadn't walked into any old patrol. She'd walked into Kearn and Kowalski and the rest of the squad. Somehow she managed to get them to understand that Morgan was on his own about 1/2 a mile away...hurt...alone....about to be overrun if he hadn't been already. Kowalski didn't wAit for the order. He went to find his friend.

Morgan was never a deeply religious man, but he did whisper a silent prayer at this time. There was an old saying which spoke of no atheists in foxholes. Perhaps this statement came from those who weren't religious, yet spoke prayers just in case. Morgan had decided not to let himself be captured again. He would go down in a blaze of glory. Fighting with everything and anything he could find. Morgan felt like he was back in Korea again. He was alone and the enemy was almost upon him. If Sam could make it out alive, then his death wouldn't be in vain. Sam meant the world to Morgan and he'd gladly give up his life so she could live. Morgan looked at the pistol in his hand. It was a Makarov PM 9.5mm automatic pistol. It had a clip which held 8 rounds of 9 mm ammunition. Sam had the forethought to grab a small box of ammo before she left. This gave Morgan a few more reloads and a better chance at surviving this, but the odd were still stacked against him. Captain Tin and his men slowly came into Morgan's sight. He lowered himself down at catching sight of the enemy. Morgan watched while still hidden as the NVA officer and his VC Soldiers slowly made their way towards the point were Morgan was holding up. Morgan pointed the pistol through a small opening. He took careful aim at Tin. Morgan hoped by killing Tin first, he could through the enemy soldier into a state of panic. While they would still fight, the men would no longer be organized and led by a single leader. Morgan slowly squeezed the trigger, the gun fired. The 9 mm bullet rocketed towards Tin, it struck him almost dead center in his chest. Tin cried out as he was thrown backwards and onto the ground.

Kern and his 12 man patrol moved quickly through the jungle. They didn't know that not far away Morgan was ready to make his last stand again. This fact was made clear once Sam appeared. It was like a miracle had happened. Sam just walked right into the group. It happened so quickly that the men had their weapons aimed at her. There was a sigh of relief after finding out this woman was Sam. Any celebrations would have to wait. Sam spoke of Morgan being a 1/2 mile from them and ready to be overrun by the enemy. Kowalski took off followed quickly by Kern and the others. Kern passed his Colt .45 automatic to Sam. This way she could defend herself. As this small force made it's way towards Morgan. The first shot was heard. This was followed by more gunfire. The unmistakable sounds of the AK-47 was barking not far ahead. Morgan emptied his first clip then ducted down to reload. He dropped Tin and five others before having to reload. That was six hits and two misses with a weapon Morgan hadn't used before. Morgan was always a damn good shot, no matter what he used. Once the weapon was reloaded, Morgan was ready to pop again. However, he heard sounds of movement coming towards him from behind. Morgan's thinking was that the enemy had circled around him. He was about to be attacked from the rear as well as the front.

Morgan placed his back against a tree and ready his pistol. Suddenly, Kowalski broke through the jungle. Morgan had the weapon aimed, but didn't fire. Both men breathed a sigh of relief and it would have brought some laughter, but this wasn't the time for laughter. " I can't let you two go anywhere without getting into trouble. " Kowalski joked as he joined Morgan by the tree and rocks. It was clear that Sam had reached help and that help was in the form of 1st Platoon, Bravo Company. Morgan was never so glad too see anyone in his life, as he was now. Kowalski said Kern, Sam and a strike team were just behind him. One by one, the team started to pour into the area. Gunfire broke out from different parts of the jungle. Kern & Sam joined Morgan & Kowalski. Morgan couldn't help but wrap his arms around Sam after seeing her again. This was uncharacteristic for him, since it was during a firefight and in front of others, but it couldn't be helped. The NVA & VC force was taken by surprise when the American forces arrived. Their force of 25 men had been cut by 6 thanks to Morgan's excellent shooting skills. Once the Americans troops arrived, another seven were killed. This cut the NVA/VC force down from 25 to 12. The remaining NVA officer decided to retreat. It was folly to remain and continue this fight. There was no hope of regaining the American female now. The battle ended when the enemy disappeared. Kern breathed a sigh of relief while saying it was good too see Morgan again. " Let's get the hell out of here. " Kern suggested which was a great idea. The Americans suffered no injuries, other then the ones which Morgan had. The men formed around Morgan & Sam for the trip back to Camp Baker. Once over the border, a helicopter could be called for. Spade had brought a medical kit for Sam. She would treat Morgan's head injury while heading home.

Kowalski had disappeared into the jungle almost before Sam had gotten the words out. Almost as soon as she had Kearn ordered a team of hour to look after Sam while he led the rest on kowalski's heels. Heading back towards Tin was not where Sam really wanted to go but he'll would freeze over before she was going to stay put whilst the rest of the squad went after Morgan. The four guys including Motown together with Sam were soon on their way albeit moving a little slower, but the adrenalin was pumping through Sam's body right now giving her the energy to go back ... To go on. And then they heard the gunfire. Everyone was moving as quickly as the jungle allowed. The gunfire had stopped before Sam arrived and somewhere in her head was the thought that maybe it was all over... Maybe Morgan was dead. She didn't think that had that been the case there would have been no reason for the shooting to stop. Had he been dead, Tin's men would have been shooting down Kern's men as they arrived. Then Sam stepped into the small clearly where she had walked away... Walked away and left him. She stepped out and saw him stood smirking, Kowalski stood next to him, hand on his shoulder. Sam stared at him for a moment, her brain taking its time to process the fact that he was still alive. She walked over to where they were stood with Kearn. She stared wide eyed but as she opened her mouth to say something, rapid gunfire started again. Sam and Morgan didn't seem to hear it. Morgan just smiled and reached out his arms and took her into a hug. A long hard held hug whilst around them the squad took care of business. And then suddenly it was quiet. The enemy was gone...those who weren't dead.

The journey back was uneventful. Sam and Morgan explained what had happened. The guys explained how they'd managed to be where they were when Sam found them. Motown asked Sam how she finished up being dressed like a mamma-San and said she looked much better in US greens. Sam commented how she had never thought she'd want to get back into her uniform as badly as she did right then. Cobb whispered something about him preferring to see her out of it but fortunately neither Kearn nor either sergeant heard.

When the chopper finally landed at the base, Sam was almost asleep on her feet. She managed to make sure that Kowalski got Morgan checked out at the hospital.

"He needs to spend a night there...observation. Make sure..."

"Dream on Doc. I might get him there to get checked out. No-one is going to get him to stay." Sam opened her mouth to say something else but Kowalski raised his hand. "I'll get him checked out and then I'll make sure he gets tucked up in his own bed."

"No alcohol." Kowalski laughed as he helped Morgan out of the Huey.

"I am here you know." Morgan said quite indignant at the conversation which was going on about him. Both of him gave him a hard look then looked back to each other.

"I mean it. He has a concussion. Alcohol will mask..."

"Give it up Doc. The man is going to want a drink."

"Damn right I am."

"But I'll look after him." Kowalski half turned away then stopped. "And who exactly is going to look after you Lieutenant." He smirked. The five guys from 1st squad who were still around all volunteered. Everyone laughed except Sam.

"I don't have a concussion. I just want a shower and a clean bed."

"We could help you with that Lt." Spade said cheerfully. Sam gave him a dirty look and then grinned before turning away deciding that she wasn't going to get anywhere and her own bed did seem pretty attractive at that moment.

The shower she took was long and hot. She soaked and steamed every bit of the jungle off of her. She dried off and slipped on a t- shirt. She was hungry, no question about it but she was also tired. She pulled back the blanket never thinking she could be so pleased to see her cot. But then there was a knock at the door. She groaned quietly and stepped over to it. When she opened it she found Morgan, propped up against the frame, bottle of scotch in one hand and a large bag of pretzels in the other.

"Figured that if you were so keen to make sure I was properly looked after you could do it yourself. I'm damn sure your nursing skills are better than kowalski's." Sam smiled and opened the door, waiting him for to come in before closing it behind him. She walked over to where he was stood in the middle of the floor. The smile slowly disappeared from her face. She looked at him. Really looked at him. She put her hands on his chest and felt him. Felt him strong. Solid. Without even realising it, something deep inside her needed to check he was real and in one piece and the same as he was.

"When I... I didn't think I'd ever... " She closed her eyes in an attempt to shut out the memory of walking away... of abandoning him. He stepped away from her for a second and put down the bottle and the bag of snacks. Then he stepped back to her. It was as if he had read her mind.

"Hey." He took hold of her hands and brought them to his chest, bringing her close. "You didn't abandon me. You saved me. You got me off a mine which was pretty fucking amazing by the way and then you found us help. And I'm right here. But for a bang on the head, I'm absolutely fine. Not a scratch. So..." He let go of her hand and took hold of her chin gently. Tipping her head up to get her to look at him. "How about you pour us both a drink while I get into bed and then you can show me just how good your bedside manner is." A wide smile broke across Sam's face. She gave a slight nod and Morgan stepped away. He got undressed and then climbed into Sam's bed, propping up the pillows so that he was slightly sitting up. Sam returned and climbed in next to him, setting herself in the curve of he is arm. They talked quietly about their shared experience and at time even found things to laugh about. Imagining Tin's face when he realised that he'd lost Sam... that he'd been beaten by an american woman; talking about how the squad had just swooped in and taken everyone out or sent them back with their tails between their legs. Whenever Morgan went quiet for more than a minute, Sam asked him if he was okay. Every time he told her he was fine. He liked that she was worried about him. He couldn't remember the last time he had someone worry about him. When his glass was empty he set it on the cabinet and settled back into the pillows and closed his eyes. He was truly content at that moment.

"You know... I do have a few aches that you could kiss better." He didn't even open his eyes as he spoke. Sam looked at him and smiled.

"Really? And where might they be?"

"Hey... you're the nurse. You find them." He gave another satisfied groan and slid down the bed a little. Sam finished her own drink and set the glass down and then slowly, she moved over the top of the man lying next to her and he gently wrapped is arms around her.

"Okay Sergeant." She kiss his cheek softly. "You just tell me when that ache is gone." she whispered and kissed him again. His cheek. His chin. His mouth. His neck. Everything soft and slow and light. Within a few minutes, Morgan was breathing slow and deep and even and Sam knew that he had drifted off to sleep. She kissed him softly again and laid her own head on his shoulder and let herself do the same.

After a week of R&R in Saigon, Sam & Morgan returned to duty. It was decided that they should have some time off after getting captured, then escaping. The official report said nothing of Sam being a female. That fact was covered up, like most facts dealing with Sam's actions in the field. The reports all read as if 1st Lieutenant Sam Keller was a man. This was how the big brass and the men in Washington D.C. wanted it. Their little experiment of seeing how well women worked in combat situations was a success so far. Sam had proven women could do the same work as the men. The actions she took in her escape from the VC camp, along with saving Morgan's life and bring him back, showed what a determined women could do. Normally such actions would have been rewarded with a metal. Sam did get several rewards after her return from R&R. Her first was a one on one session with Colonel Bates. Just like others she'd had before. The second was a platoon gang bang. This was another get together which Sam was will used to by now. She enjoyed these gatherings, as did those who took part with her. Morgan & Sam continued to have their own fun during the days, weeks and months that followed. Kowalski often took part in some fun evenings with Sam. These wild times only brought Sam & Morgan closer. They knew their lives were linked together now. Morgan couldn't find a better women if he tried looking for one. Plus, Sam was very opened minded when it came to sexual matters. Sam was very happy with Morgan as a lover and that he didn't mind letting her get really wild from time to time. Morgan happened to enjoy that his woman was such an insatiable slut. He loved watching her get fucked and used by men & women alike.

The days passed into weeks, which became weeks and months. With the Nixon in office as President, things slowly started to change. The buildup of troops slowed down until it stopped. The new plan for the war, was to turn it completely over to South Vietnamese forces. This plan was called "Vietnamization." It had been hoped that by training the South Vietnamese troops and supplying them with the latest in modern weapons, they could continue the fight on their own. This plan was highly flawed because most of the high rankling South Vietnamese officer and many in the lower ranks, only got their positions because they knew someone high up in the government. Many officers were corrupt, using their position to better their status in life. Food and other supplies meant for their troops were sold to whomever had the money and was willing to but it. The US troop strength began to slowly come down. This was brought on by many in America losing faith in the war and the reasons for why it started. The protests grew bigger back home, but those protesting the war started turning their hate against the common soldiers. While it was true, some American Soldiers did engage in actions seen as war crimes. Most American Soldiers were just there doing what they needed to do in order to survive. Both Sam & Morgan had been given the chance to go home when their time was up. However, both ended up staying so they could be together, ride this things out and leave on the same plane.

Beginning in 1970, American troops were withdrawn from border areas where most of the fighting took place, and instead redeployed along the coast and interior, which is one reason why casualties in 1970 were less than half of 1969's totals. The country side was left to the South Vietnamese Army to protect. This pretty much meant that the NVA could now work inside most of South Vietnam without any worry of encountering American troops. Camp Baker was abandoned, Morgan & Sam found themselves stationed in Saigon along with the rest of 1st Platoon. The platoon as a whole started seeing some major changes. Morgan was promoted to Master Sergeant. Kowalski was promoted to First Sergeant. Motown was promoted to Staff Sergeant. Cruz was promoted to sergeant. Spade was promoted to Corporal. Kern got a nice and long and much deserved promotion to Captain. He went on to command Bravo Company as a whole. 1st platoon ended up with a number of different green lieutenants who couldn't tell their asses from a hole in the ground. This changed when Sam was finally placed in command of 1st platoon. The platoon was pretty much out of action by this time. Plus, Sam always had Morgan, Kowalski and the other guys helping her. She pretty much just needed to make sure all the paperwork was signed by an officer, properly filed and to make sure the troops got home safe. Kern didn't want anymore needless deaths from his command. He knew Sam would keep the guys out of trouble, or at least keep them from doing anything really bad.

The last action seen by 1st Platoon was during an incursion into Cambodia. This was done to stop and invasion into that country by NVA forces. It was also hoped that cashes of weapons & supplies used by VC forces could be found and destroyed. 1st Platoon did find a large supply base and destroy it, but before any other action could be taken, or more supplies could be destroyed, the operation was stopped and the troops were sent back to South Vietnam. The reason for this was an outcry from American protestors who saw this as widening the war. The air war against the north continued without the American ground troops. The United States began drastically reducing their troop support in South Vietnam during the final years of Vietnamization. Many U.S. troops were removed from the region during the early part of 1971. Later that same year, Bravo Company was finally sent back to the states. It was welcomed news to everyone in 1st platoon. Morgan & Sam had a long talk of their plans after getting home. It was always Morgan position that Sam return to medical school and become and MD. Sam was worried what Morgan would do since he spoke of leaving the army. Morgan wasn't worried, he knew with his training, he could do any kind of work. It was decided that they would return to Sam's home town of San Fransisco. By the time they boarded the plane which carried them home. Sam had been made a Captain. This rank was bestowed upon her by Colonel Bates. He had spoken before of making her a Captain. Bates finally made good on the words he spoke. He also did it as a way of saying goodbye too Sam. Bates had greatly enjoyed the time they spent together and he would always remember her.

1st platoon made it's way back to the home of the U.S. Army's 3rd Battalion, 4th Infantry Division. This home base was Fort Carson, Colorado. Once there, 1st platoon remained until their release from the United States Army. Morgan bought a car, he & Sam packed up their belongings and head for San Fransisco. Morgan had no family of his own anymore. Not anyone that he was overly close with anyway. Sam was excited about Morgan meeting her father. She had a feeling the two men would get along great. While on route to the city by the bay. They encountered a number of people who spat at Morgan & Sam once it was known they had saved in Vietnam. People would yell nasty things at them, calling them baby killers and generally being rude, or down right unfriendly. In one town, a group of people threw trash and other items at the car while Morgan & Sam tried to leave. These things made Morgan pissed. He often told people who called him & Sam dirty names, they had no idea what it was like over there. The people protesting had no real clue what they were protesting against. He only challenged one 18 year old punk. Morgan asked who he thought he was for calling them baby killers? He told this kid that he wasn't over there and he had no idea what hell Sam & himself had gone trough. Things got so bad, that Morgan decided it was best to complete the journey without wearing anything military. They arrived in San Fransisco a few days later looking very much like the civilians they were.

Promotion hadn't really been anything that Sam had been looking for; she started out as a simple 2nd Lt - a rank given to her purely by virtue of her education and the job she had done. She didn't do anything in uniform to earn it. The subsequent promotions she wasn't too sure that she had done much more; she did her job and for the most part she survived in her job because of men like Kern and Morgan and Kowalski and the rest of 1st Platoon. In between the work though, Sam had continued to be a whore for the Platoon and for Kowalski and Morgan. Bates continued to take a significant interest in Sam. Unknown to them all, he was checking on how she was coping with the situation she was in and was reporting back, but the regular meetings they had were about much more than that. Sam knew what Bates expected and she would have been lying had she said she didn't enjoy being with him. That even included her night with Bates' old football team - or those who were in the vicinity of South East Asia. Sam was sent to Saigon for a medical conference and Bates made sure that him and his old buddies were there too. Sam, six guys, a couple of girls that a Major brought with him... high class hookers Sam had thought. It had been a long weekend and Sam was well used by all of them.

Sam was most comfortable though... most relaxed... when she was with Dan Morgan. He was her best friend, her best lover and she cared about him more than she had cared about anyone in her life. She had experienced things and survived things - physically and mentally - that she would never had gotten through without him. She was also there for him. He was not the kind of man that was going to open his soul up to anyone - even Sam - and she never pushed him. But when he needed to get away from the war, he went to Sam. And they talked about a time after the war. A life... for both of them... together. All the time they were talking and planning, there was a part of both of them that maybe never really believed it could happen. Morgan in particular was nervous about making plans for when they got home... he'd seen it before... short timers making plans and then making a mistake. But then they got their orders to go home and finally Morgan started to see a future for them both.

They spent a couple of weeks at Fort Carson before they were formally discharged. Then they packed the few belongings they had into the back of a beat up 1962 red Chrysler Imperial Crown convertible that Morgan bought and headed out for the near-1500 mile drive through Colorado, Utah, Nevada and finally California. For most of the journey, Morgan drove with his right arm draped around Sam as she sat right next to him on the bench seat. They had been surprised by the reaction of people when they got back but on the road, just the two of them... it would finish up being a journey they would remember for the rest of their lives.

For the first couple of months, they stayed at Sam's family home with her Dad. Just as Sam predicted, the two of them them got on great and he had no concerns over Sam being with someone who was much closer to his age than hers. They found themselves a small apartment in the Mission District of the City which wasn't too far from the San Francisco General hospital where Sam finished her medical training. Morgan meanwhile joined the SFPD. When Sam had finished, she had the choice of hospitals in the City but she chose to take up her residency at the San Francisco VA Medical Centre.

On the day Morgan graduated from the Police Academy, after the formalities and dinner with her Dad, he drove Sam to Coit Tower which overlooked the City from the top of Tower Hill and he asked her to marry him. She didn't hesitate in saying yes and within a few months, they had married in a pretty quiet ceremony. A year later, Sam gave birth to a son - Jack - and within 5 years she had had two more boys - David and Michael. Morgan was a natural father and the family couldn't have been closer. As the family grew up, they moved to increasingly larger places but never to somewhere overly ostentatious. Morgan said he could never be comfortable in some fancy house in the mountains or overlooking the bay. They found a place not far from the VA and right next to the Golden Gate Park which gave the boys a great place to grow up. Jack was a smart kid. He went to Berkley and then Law school becoming an Assistant DA after a few years with a local firm. It had made for some interesting discussions at the dinner table where Sam had spent a fair bit of time acting as referee between Jack and his father. As much as they would frequently take different sides of the argument though, Morgan couldn't have been more proud and he made sure the Jack always knew that. David followed his mother, went to medical school and then joined the US Army Medical Core. Michael followed his dad going straight to the Police Academy as soon as he graduated High School and was old enough.

it was a good life. It was a great family life built on solid values. It was a life Sam had always wanted and one which Morgan never dreamed he would ever have. And despite how bad Vietnam had been for everyone who was there, there wasn't a day when by when he didn't thank God that both him and Sam finished up there at the same time.

...Fin...

Back
Top Bottom