Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Different Times. (cheerio_cherry and fortyfivesteps)

fortyfivesteps

Planetoid
Large, dark blue eyes are clouded with confusion as the room spun around her. What was happening to the office? It was disappearing, the image of the bright white walls are fading in and out with loud noises and the image of a busy street. A street that Celia Mason had never seen in all of her twenty-three years. "Mr. Whitmore?" She shouts, her voice shaking with fear.

Suddenly the office disappeared around her, she is now in the busy street. What on earth? She had just been standing in Mr. Whitmore's office, ready to recieve her orders. She looked around, people were walking quickly down the sidewalks, most too busy to even look at the poor girl. Why were they dressed so oddly? Her full lips opened in horror as she watched some of the women go by, what were they wearing? She had never been a fan of fashion, but was she really that far behind? Self consciously, Celia reached up to take her hat off. But where had it gone? The golden haired girl spotted it across from her, in the road. It must have blown off. First she would get her hat, then she would figure out what was happening to her.

She moved quickly, despite the restricting green uniform skirt she wore. Her hand reached out and snatched it up, not even noticing the car coming toward her. There was so much noise around her, she didnt even hear the honking of the horn, warning her to get out of the way.

The honking noises were loud enough to get James Marley's attention and he turned to the streets to see what was causing it. He had several seconds to get into the road and save the woman or let her fall. He chose to dive for her, slamming his full length of body into her and knocking her clear, managing to grab the hat on the way by pure luck. His eyes, dark brown scanned her form and he smiled softly. She was truely beautiful, even if she did look slightly young. At the age of 30 he found everyone looked young.

His hair was a dark brown and stuck up in strange shapes, some blown by the winds as he dived to save the girl, the others simply there from his habit of running his fingers through his hair. He had stumbled to catch the girl inches from the surface of the road, catching her arm ina gentle but firm grip. He had pulled her fully upright and smoothed down his black jacket over his trousers, glad of the early dinner he had taken with friends before coming out to enjoy the stars, he got the feeling the woman would be glad of it.

His voice came in pants of breath and he spoke with a slightly scottish accent.

"Are you alright?"

He could tell the woman was trembling slightly and spoke sweetly.

"Are you hurt?"

A loud gasp escaped her full lips as she felt something collide with her. Knocking her to the ground. As her eyes focused, she found herself staring into the dark eyes of a rather handsome man. She remained silent, allowing him to pull her up, still in shock.

"Y-yes" she finally said, liking the sound of his voice. He sounded friendly, a comfort in this strange place. "Well, no actually...where am I?" She then asked, she was not hurt, but she still had no idea what was going on.

"Cardiff." A small smile pulled at James' lips as he spoke. She was sweet and young indeed but seemed to have a good sense of herself, even if she was a little shaken up. "Nice outfit by the way." He couldn't help the comment, feeling like she needed to be calmed. He paused, taking her in and adding. "Welcome to 2010, the world where young women nearly get mown down by crazy fools in fast cars."

"This is not Cardiff" she told him firmly, shaking her head to further prove her point. No matter how kind or handsome this man might be, he was crazy. Wasnt he? Her eyes moved to look at her outfit for a moment, but snapped up as soon as he spoke again. "2010?" She asked, her voice trembling with fear. "N-no...this is 1953, it has to be!" Celia told him, almost shouting.

"Hey... hey now." James had spoken softly, watching the woman panic and moving to gently grip her shoulders, feeling her shivers. "Hey now... it's alright." He spoke softly, feeling the woman still trembling even under his touch and speaking gently. "Come back with me." His voice was soft. "Let me prove it to you." He didn't want to hurt her and he knew if he left her to wader alone she'd most likely be attacked, something he definately didn't want for her.

Again, she was comforted by his voice. She took a deep breath, nodding her head. What other choice did she have? This man had saved her and was being kind to her. She had no idea what was going on and he was offering to help, how could she refuse. "Yes, I will go with you" she told him softly, then offered a shakey smile. "My name is Celia Mason" she introduced herself, "what is your name?"

"James, James Marley." James smiled softly, finding himself wanting to protect this girl with all he had. He had fallen silent as he lead her along the road and across into the second road they needed to cross. He had smiled at her slightly even as he let them into the house, opening the door quickly and guiding her in before shutting and locking the door behind them. He had moved to find his newspaper and returned to Celia to offer it her.

"Take a look at the date."

She tucked his name away into memory and then allowed him to lead her to wherever he was taking her. For some reason, she trusted him. Celia remained silent, even as they entered the house, lost in her own thoughts. If what he said was true, how would she ever get home? As he offered her the newspaper, she reached out to take it, hand shaking. She clutched it tightly, pulling to towards her. Blue eyes looked down to read it, dropping it as she read the date. He had not lied to her. Celia backed against the wall, her eyes ide with horror. "What happened to me?" She asked, her voice barely above a whisper as she sunk down to the ground.

" I don't know." James' reply was soft as he knelt beside her, reaching to gently tuck hair out of her bright cornflower blue eyes. "I'll do whatever I can to keep you safe until I can get you home." His words were tender as he added a sweetly spoken. "I promise Celia." He meant it, watching her cautiously as she seemed to look ready to cry, he had moved on pure instinct to wrap his arms around her, gently supprotive and caring as he stroked her back. "I promise I'll keep you safe."

Celia did not care that she didnt know James, that he had no clear motive to be kind to her. She just needed someone to comfort her, and he was there. She leaned into his arms, resting her cheek on his shoulder. "I believe you" she told him.

He had smiled as he stroked her hair softly. "Shhhh, it's alright." He could feel her relax and stroked her back softly, unable to stop himself caring about her. She was sweet and so delicate and she needed him, which was probably why he felt so protective of her. "We'll be alright, together." He didn't know where the words came from but he knew they would help, and he wanted to help.

After awhile, Celia pulled back gently, leaning back against the wall again. She offered James a shakey smile and nodded her head. "Thank you...I am sorry for that reaction" she told him. "Im just so confused...I was in Mr.Whitmore's office and then suddenly I was on that street" she tried to explain.

"I understand." James spoke softly. "You were left alone and confused... I don't blame you for panicking." He spoke quietly, stroking her cheek gently. "Are you alright now?" She had been trembling but he could feel she had stopped and spoke quietly. "Would you like a bath or something to eat?"

"Yes, a bath would be nice...it would give me some time to think" she told him, she then lowered her eyes to her uniform, running one hand down it. "Do you have other clothes I can wear?" She asked, now looking at him again. "My uniform is fairly uncomfortable, I am sorry for asking" she said. He had already saved her life and had now offered to take care of her, she felt a little guilty asking for anything.

James smiled softly. "I have a few." He agreed. He had kept his sisters outfits for a while, although he wondered if they would fit. Still he had smiled at her shyness, standing and offering her a hand to get up. "I'm sure we can find something that will fit you." He hoped so.

She took his hand and pulled herself up, holding onto it a second longer than needed once she was on her feet. When she released him, she gave him a smile, this time a more confident one. "Thank you again, I can sew them to fit if needed" Celia informed him.

James smiled softly. "Seems like you might just settle in here whilst we wait for a way to get you home." She was sweet enough that he wasn't in the slightest bit worried about his next suggestion. "Why don't we go and pour you a bath." He spoke quietly and calmly.

She nodded her head at his suggestion, reaching up one hand, she started to pull the pins out from her hair, long waves of golden hair came tumbling down. "Yes, lead the way" Celia told him.

James smiled as he lead her up the stairs, unable to stop himself looking back at her when he was finished and they stood outside the bathroom. "This is the bathroom." He paused then smiled softly. "I'm guessing you know how to work taps?" His question was lightly playful.

She smiled at his question, nodding her head. "Yes, we have them" she said, slipping past him and into the bathroom. "Thank you, Mr. Marley" she told him, leaning gently against the door frame.

"There's no need to thank me Celia."

James spoke sweetly, still smiling softly at her. She was very sweet and he was slowly beginning to really care for her. More than he probably should have done. She had been the first woman to make him smile in a long time and he liked that about her, finding himself charmed by her.

"Call me once you're finished... alright?"

"I will" she promised, stepping back a little and shutting the door, giving him one last smile. She turned to the tub, it was large, much larger than she was used to. Her small hand turned the taps easily, nothing much had changed. As the tub filled, she undressed, folding all of her clothes up, she placed them on the ground. Celia then turned the water off before slipping in, sighing softly as she sunk into the warm water.

James had smiled before moving down the stairs, getting his drink before watching the door and waiting for her to call, hoping she was alright. He didn't want to see her hurting and yet he knew he had to wait and let her take her time.

She kept her time in the bath short, not wanting to let him wait. She soon got out, grabbing a fluffy white towel and wrapping it around her. Celia then moved to the door and pulled it open. "Mr. Marley!" She called through the now open door.

Back
Top Bottom