Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Playing With Fire (Snake Plissken & LingeringDesire)

AlphaWolfQuin

Pulsar
Gabriel sat at his desk and finished up some last minute paperwork on a case he had just wrapped up. It was dark and drizzling a bit outside as Gabe looked out his window briefly. He leaned back in his chair then sighed before sorting all of his paperwork and putting it away for the night. He then put his coat on and made his way out of his office, "See you tomorrow detective" ,one of Gabe's colleagues shouted as he seen the man walk by. "Goodnight rookie" ,Gabe responded sarcastically giving the young man a smile before leaving.

It had been a long interesting day to say the least, Gabriel had a run in with a few of the Fuscilli boys. The whole lot of them were a bunch of wanna-be gangsters and liked to try and push their weight around when they had the chance too. Today the guys tried to lure a young woman and her boyfriend into a trap to rob and beat them and most likely leave them for dead. Gabriel luckily seen the whole set up and prevented anything from happening to the young couple, he also put three of the Fuscilli boys in jail and intended to send them to prison for a long time. The man wanted to clean the streets up and that meant fucking with people that could easily have him wiped off the face of the earth with a snap of their fingers.

Gabriel sighed before opening the door to the bar, he knew the place was crooked but never had the heart to shut it down. Even if he could he wouldn't no one on the force knew why but Gabe had his reasons. He walked in and sat down at the bar right as a fight began between two drunks. Gabriel knew the two men very well and simply let them yell at each other for the moment, he didn't want to get involved unless he was absolutely needed. Gabe turned to the bartender as he pulled a cigarette out of his pocket, "Whiskey....please" ,he stated simply as he turned to watch the two men continue to go at it.

Veronica “Ronny” Chase had had enough. The boys fighting were like brothers to her, well one was blood and the other family. “Sammy… Vincent! Stop.” This was the second fight of the night, Dad was sick and they were fighting over who should be in charge. Vincent was the oldest but Sammy had been in the business longer, the ‘behind-the-scenes’ business and not the legit one. She drug there sorry asses to the back and had them cool off, it had been a pleasant twenty minutes.

Running tan fingers over her jeans clad thighs she plastered a smile to her face and moved back out to serve. The man that came in wasn’t even on her radar as she let her mind wonder over things. The bleak weather didn’t even register as she stood with her lit cigarette pursed between her lips. She’d left this life for college four years ago, while she may have been back now she wasn’t sure this was what she wanted to do. Hardly even able to enjoy the nicotine fix she stubbed out the stick and headed back in when the shouting drowned out the music and normal clatter.

Booted heels helped her cross the wooden floor as she edged her way behind the bar again. Someone else could break them up this time. She slid the whiskey the other bartender asked for, eyes barely registering the hand that reached for it. Immediately her hackles rose, anyone with her blood could smell a cop a mile away. Watching him watch them fight she wondered why he was here, why the family allowed him to hang about and why he was just waiting for them to kill each other. Rolling her eyes with a sigh strong arms lifted her over the top of the bar and she was shoving forward.

“Vinnie… please, just take it somewhere else…” Her voice was a hiss as her green eyes shifted in the direction of the cop sipping whiskey to her left. Moving between them was the wrong move and Sammy’s deadly right hook caught her under the chin. It caused her teeth to chatter a moment before everything went fuzzy. Stronger than she looked, the woman stayed on her feet as a string of profanities left her mouth. “Bastard ass…” The words would have made a sailor blush and her father raise a glass and cheer. The odd mix of English and Italian ran together. Rearing back her own fist she jammed it in ones stomach and gave the other a shove.

Veronica “Ronny” Chase had had enough. The boys fighting were like brothers to her, well one was blood and the other family. “Sammy… Vincent! Stop.” This was the second fight of the night, Dad was sick and they were fighting over who should be in charge. Vincent was the oldest but Sammy had been in the business longer, the ‘behind-the-scenes’ business and not the legit one. She drug there sorry asses to the back and had them cool off, it had been a pleasant twenty minutes.

Running tan fingers over her jeans clad thighs she plastered a smile to her face and moved back out to serve. The man that came in wasn’t even on her radar as she let her mind wonder over things. The bleak weather didn’t even register as she stood with her lit cigarette pursed between her lips. She’d left this life for college four years ago, while she may have been back now she wasn’t sure this was what she wanted to do. Hardly even able to enjoy the nicotine fix she stubbed out the stick and headed back in when the shouting drowned out the music and normal clatter.

Booted heels helped her cross the wooden floor as she edged her way behind the bar again. Someone else could break them up this time. She slid the whiskey the other bartender asked for, eyes barely registering the hand that reached for it. Immediately her hackles rose, anyone with her blood could smell a cop a mile away. Watching him watch them fight she wondered why he was here, why the family allowed him to hang about and why he was just waiting for them to kill each other. Rolling her eyes with a sigh strong arms lifted her over the top of the bar and she was shoving forward.

“Vinnie… please, just take it somewhere else…” Her voice was a hiss as her green eyes shifted in the direction of the cop sipping whiskey to her left. Moving between them was the wrong move and Sammy’s deadly right hook caught her under the chin. It caused her teeth to chatter a moment before everything went fuzzy. Stronger than she looked, the woman stayed on her feet as a string of profanities left her mouth. “Bastard ass…” The words would have made a sailor blush and her father raise a glass and cheer. The odd mix of English and Italian ran together. Rearing back her own fist she jammed it in ones stomach and gave the other a shove.

For a few moments the bar got quiet again and the fight had calmed down but it was only a few moments before the shouting began again. Gabriel knew the man who owned the place and even a cop as good as Gabriel Kingston had a certain amount of respect for the don but the top dog's men now they were a different story Gabe had no problem taking them down even if it ruffled their bosses feathers a bit. He continued to listen as he took his whiskey from the young woman, his eyes met hers briefly and by the look on her face he knew that she knew he was a cop and it made him smirk and chuckle a little bit before he sipped his drink and watched her make her way towards the two drunks going at it.

Things had been physical for a bit and Gabe did nothing not wanting to get involved and pretty much just wanting to drink until he couldn't remember the past week that was until he seen the pretty young bartender get clocked in the face. His expression changed from mellow to angry in a matter of seconds, there was a fire in his eyes that was so intense it sent chills down most people's spines. Gabriel grew up with an abusive father and watched him beat his mother to death in a fit of rage so hitting a woman for any reason even if it was an accident was a no no in Gabe's book.

The man stood up and stormed toward the brute who had hit the young woman and grabbed him by the back of the head. With a fistfull of greasy hair Gabe slammed the man's face into the bar twice breaking his nose. He then pressed the man's head against the bar and leaned down to speak to him, "You might want to watch where your fucking fists fly pal because if I see your hand meet another woman's face I'll cut it the fuck off" ,Gabriel growled before releasing him and making his way back to his seat. He downed his glass then motioned for the bartender to come over again, "I need another one please" ,he stated before lighting his cigarette and taking a drag off of it.

Ronny had shoved Sammy away and punched her brother. When she turned to give Sammy what he truly deserved, having fully recovered from the hit. She didn’t need to see him to know who had stepped up to bloody the nose of the man. Ronny’s eyes flashed with anger. It was HER job to pay him back and NOT his. With close to a snarl leaving her lips she shoved the duo out of her way and back toward the back rooms. “You think you are so slick, popping up to help save the damsel in distress… Fuck you cause this damsel isn’t in distress.” She eyed him with disgust, she may not have liked what her family did but she wasn’t about to turn into a traitor and give this guy the permission to come back.

“Give him the drink and show him the door…” She snarled at the bartender before giving him another look. Certain if he looked close enough he’d see it. The fear and desperation she felt about her situation. Everything had come to a boiling head a while ago but with no way out she had no choice but to stay in the protective web her father cast about the place, about his little girl. Shoving people out of her way she stalked through the crowd, through the back room –casting glares at Sammy and Vinnie- then out through the back door to the alley way. She sat on the empty bench and leaned back. Fishing a cigarette out of her pocket she lit it up.

Taking a drag she stared at the red lip print she’d left on the brown paper portion. Her jaw ached and so did her neck, perhaps she’d let one of the goons touch her… if only to have them rub the tension out of her upper body. If only they’d kept it in the back room. The man wouldn’t have gotten involved and she’d be less stressed about all of it. Last thing they needed was a cop sniffing around while Dad was out of commission. Once he was up on his feet again she’d speak to him about getting out, but leaving the buffoons to run all of it wasn’t ideal. Neither of them had the brains to do this and she didn’t want the responsibility. There she sat smoking the cigarette, mulling, while one hand gently traced the tender flesh of her jaw.

When the woman came up and yelled at him Gabe simply let out a small laugh then downed the drink the bartender had just given him, "No need to show me the door I know where it is already, after all I've been in here enough" ,he stated before making his way out of the bar. He knew why the woman had gotten so mad and he didn't blame her but he'd be damned if he'd just let her getting hit go without doing a damn thing about it. In her world maybe it was alright for things to happen the way they did, maybe it was alright that she had gotten hit but none of that mattered much to Gabriel the man had his own views and did what he felt was right it didn't matter if she could handle herself or not she was surrounded by a bunch of animals that could care less about anything other then taking over the city.

As Gabriel walked by the alleyway he seen the young woman sitting on a bench smoking a cigarette. He stood for a moment before lighting his own and taking a drag from it, he wondered if he should apologize for getting involved but decided against it instead he walked over to the woman and gave her a glare. "You know I'm not the bad guy the sooner you figure that out the better" ,he stated simply before turning and walking away not giving the woman much time to respond. Gabriel figured he would go to the liquor store and buy his own bottle and head home or wherever his feet decided to take him.

After buying a bottle of Jack, Gabriel began to walk the man had no real destination but he had decided that he really didn't want to be home at the moment so he walked until he ended up at the pier. He walked all the way to the end to where he was looking out at the water and sat down on one of the benches facing towards the crashing waves, he then opened his bottle and took a sip. The man seemed to always find himself at the pier when he really had no where to go the place relaxed him and it was the one place he never ran into trouble at and he didn't have to worry about anyone bothering him and after a long days work that's just what Gabe needed.

Green eyes went wide as she placed her cigarette in her mouth and took a long drag. Recovering she returned his glare, he wasn't going to intimidate her. His words clanged around in her head as he walked away. She could have yelled after him, but what was the use. He was the good guy? She wanted to laugh, he didn't feel nor look like the good guy. What Ronny couldn't figure out, was why did he care that she figure out he was the good guy?

She allowed her puzzled expression follow him as she finished off the cigarette. Rising she moved within the club again. Ronny didn't feel like being here, she wasn't truly needed and didn't feel like being here. Walking through the doors to the back she glared at both the causes of her immediate frustration. "I'm leaving... don't talk, you two caused a cop to act in my defense and shit like that can't happen. If Pops found out he'd have both your hides, I'll leave you to ponder whether I'll tell him or not. I will be around but not back, not until you two figure this shit out!"

The glass bottle felt cooler in her hand than it had in the store, the sand was soft under her bare feet. Having changed into a oversized cropped tee shirt and jean cutoff shorts she sat in the sand pondering the life she lived. Any other female wouldn't have reacted THAT way, they'd have blushed and graciously thanked him. Instead she'd insulted the man and ruined any chance she had of an out. Though the way he put it she only needed to figure out that he could help her, did he know how desperate she was for an out?

Groaning she flopped back onto the sand and stared up at the expanse of stars above her. On the beach the only light was the safety lights on at the pier. She saw a man but didn't investigate, if anyone had sought her out or followed her it was only because her father had given them the task. She swallowed the liquor and let it glide down her throat, slowly burning its way into her belly. Getting drunk on the beach was a joy, one last thing that was her own. Feeling out her situation and the desperation she felt at it made the alcohol's affect that much more pronounced.

After what seemed like hours she rose and shuffled out toward the water. Staring at the bottle she almost thought to place a message in it. One word, help. A soft laugh left her throat as she chucked it out to the middle of the water, well in her mind, but it splashed down a few feet from her. Carting her sandals to the pier she hummed an Italian song her mother used to sing while doing the dishes, a wonderful woman that was taken from her too soon. She tapped the man on the shoulder, if he was her guard she might as well alert him that she was on to him, she was a horny and bit drunk. He'd be the lucky one allowed to rub the soreness out of her neck... maybe more. "Let's go home, please."

Gabriel sat and stared out into the water as he continued to drink after a few sips he closed the bottle and tucked it away into his pocket then lit another cigarette. He stood and leaned against the barrier between him and the water and took a drag off of his cigarette and blew the smoke out slowly as he cracked his neck. After a few moments he dropped the cigarette into the water and sat back down he looked at his watch wondering how long he had been there for, not that he really cared anyway. His day had been pretty much shit and he just wanted to be away from everyone.

After a while he let his eyes close knowing he was safe he listened to the water and emptied his mind. When she tapped him on the shoulder and he heard her voice his eyes opened immediately and he looked up at her from where he was sitting. He could tell she was a bit drunk and probably didn't recognize him. Gabriel stood up and turned around to face her, "Now if I took you home I can almost guarantee it will cause problems" ,he responded with a bit of sarcasm in his voice. He looked her in the eyes then sighed, "You out here alone?" ,he asked unsure of how she would respond. The man was genuinely concerned for the woman but didn't exactly want to get yelled at again so he looked away acting as if he was just asking to make sure she wasn't setting him up.

The man stood and turned to face her, her green eyes flitted over his face. She placed him, but shrugged it off. Her mouth widened in a smile as she laughed at his response. "Just you and me... I never realized my father had an in with the cops, he must be paying you the big bucks!" She touched his arm before tightening her hand on it and stepping closely. Her green eyes flared slightly, "When I said take me home, it didn't have to be mine..." Her laugh was soft before she slid onto the bench he'd vacated. Ronny ignored the fact that he probably thought he'd be taking advantage of her.

Her thoughts and actions sobered for a moment, "You said I needed to figure out that you weren't one of the bad guys... is that to mean that I am one of the bad ones or my family is?" She curled her legs up to her chest and rested her head against her knees. "I might be drunk and horny but I'm not a fool." She sighed, "Not entirely." She stared out at the ocean, "Sit, I promise not to throw myself at you or beg you to take me home.. well at least not yet." She gave him a half smile. "Why do you come to the bar... you know what they, what WE are and what we do."

Gabriel looked at her as she spoke he had no intentions of taking advantage of her at the moment but she was pretty damn tempting. When she mentioned her father having an in with the cops Gabe laughed lightly but didn't respond to it for the time being. He sat down when she told him too and gave her a half smile then began to answer her questions. "First off I don't work for your father I just have a sort of unspoken agreement with him of sorts" ,Gabe began. "I'm not a dirty cop, hell I've put a few of your dad's boys in jail and had no problems doing it, your father is a different story one that I'm not gonna tell you just yet" ,he teased. Gabriel reached into his pocket and grabbed another cigarette and lit it before continuing. "As for why I come into the bar, I like it there and yeah I know who you guys are and what goes on there hell I have enough evidence to take the place down if I wanted but I won't and I have my reasons and again I'm not telling you them....just yet".

The man sat quietly for a moment and smoked his cigarette letting the woman think on what he had said for a moment, he wasn't making threats because he definitely had no intentions of shutting the place down even though he could. "So what brings you out here alone? Couldn't take no more of the macho bullshit?" ,he asked giving her a smile letting her know he was being sarcastic.

Ronny sat at his side with her head tilted slightly in his direction. Enough to make a passerby wonder if they were even talking to one another. She smiled at his answers, vague, but answers none-the-less. She silently wondered about his secrecy, did he not trust her? Smiling she could understand why, she played on the opposite side of the board and well, that wasn't the only mark she had going against her at the moment.

Having questioned his authority at the bar and no one stepping up to stop her made her wonder if any of her father's guy's knew of the arrangement. It was a curious thing. She was glad he liked the bar but the evidence he said he had was vague and again he mentioned not telling her. "Withholding information is not a good thing for someone in my family Mister.." She said with a slight tease to her voice. Moving closer she placed her head on his shoulder as he continued smoking, though she never realized he'd started.

Glancing up at his teasing smile she shook her head. "I need to clear my head a lot... this is my favorite spot to decompress and relax. There is a lot I need to figure out, much like why I want to trust you. And why you want to help me.. at least that is the assistance I think you were or are offering me." She sighed and averted her gaze out to the water. It was comfortable sitting against him as though she belonged there.

Gabe didn't mind the closeness in fact it was quite nice and something he hadn't felt in a long time. He laughed at her remark about withholding information, "Don't worry the evidence I have is a secret no one but me and a few other's know about it and don't worry the other people who know aren't cops" ,he said in response. "And I know withholding information isn't a good thing for someone in your family but I'm not entirely withholding information from your family" ,he gave her a sly smile then took another drag from his cigarette. He placed his arm around her shoulder as she sat against him. He normally didn't act this way towards people especially ones that told him off but it was as if he couldn't stop himself from doing it.

"Yeah I come here almost every night" ,he admitted after hearing her words. "My job can drive me nuts at points and this place is a great spot to get away from it all, as for why I want to help you I'm sure you know why I want to help you, you had gotten out of the lifestyle you were doing something productive then you got brought back into it, I know all about the school and why you left you know you don't have to abandon your family to make something of your life" ,Gabe told her. He hoped he didn't come off sounding like a know it all or a jerk he simply wanted to tell her how he felt and how he saw things.

Veronica hadn't realized that she was even cold until his warm arm fell to her shoulders. She found herself snuggling into him. She wanted the protection, she was so tired of fighting them off. College had been her way out but now that she was done it was expected of her to enter the business. It made her stomach ill to think about it. She didn't balk at his statement, keeping the info to only him was safer for her in the long run if she chose his side over her family. Although, she'd go a long way to never say she was on his side to begin with.

Her eyes narrowed vaguely as he basically uttered what she'd been thinking. It was very uncanny and quite a bit freaky to her. Stiffening under his arm a bit she spoke. "I've never seen you... maybe we just get driven nuts on different nights..." She allowed a small laugh to leave her. Sighing she started sitting up. "So how do you propose to help get em out of all of this? That is If I decide to go with you... would it be under a ruse or would I just walk away and you set me up in another place out of the reach of my family." She asked dragging her own cigarette out, she sighed and took a drag. It wouldn't be easy, not when her father knew she had the brains to run them high up in the world while the other two would only prove to run them into the ground.

"It's a fucking mess..." She lamented silently. More to herself than the man at her side. She looked to him, how come he could be so damn attractive when he was the enemy, she laughed at her own question and knew where her head was at. If she were a male, fucking him would clear her head and allow the solution to flow between her ears, but Chase girls just didn't 'put out' like that... well not that her father knew of. She wondered what other intel he'd gathered on her.

Back
Top Bottom