Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Taming The Darkness (Skelace & darkangel76)

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
Aeryn Shadowstorm had been practicing as an apprentice to Eilidorn Jaheir for about ten years and was now considered ready to take the trials. Passing these trials would allow her to become an honored member of the Order Of Necromancy, though she had several peers who didn’t have any faith in her abilities. They thought her freakish, weak in skill, a poor example of what a necromancer should be.

Aeryn had been brought to Twilight Keep at the age of fifteen when her parents realized her… gifts. They were horrified the day she managed to summon the rotted corpses from the cemetery located not too far away from their modest home. It had been an accident and Aeryn had no idea as to how she’d done it. Her family, anxious to be rid of her, fearing the darker arts of sorcery, immediately traveled to the remote keep located deep within the forests of Ashwood. Aeryn knew that her parents feared her, feared her abilities and her lack of control over them. She hoped that one day they’d long to see her again, to reunite. But, she didn’t think that would ever happen despite her longings. The fear in their faces the day the dead came to her… she would never forget it.

“I can’t believe he thinks you’re ready, Aeryn,” Jareth sneered as he raked a hand through his platinum blond hair. His violet eyes flashed a sort of menace making Aeryn shiver a little.

“Well he does and I don’t plan on disappointing him in the trials either,” Aeryn said with a defensive tone. She flicked her long auburn hair over her shoulders and heaved a sigh. “In fact,” she added, he icy blue eyes glinting with hatred for Jareth. “I plan on doing better than you.”

“That’ll be the day,” Jareth scoffed.

Aeryn rolled her eyes. “Do you taunt me because you’re worried, Jareth? Afraid that I will do better? Hmmm.” She paused. “Must first degrade your opponent, making them feel as lowly as possible, so that they break under the smallest bit of pressure?”

Aeryn was angry, not to mention annoyed by Jareth’s constant bullying. He’d been insulting her since she first arrived at Twilight Keep and she’d had it. More than anything she wanted to put him in his place, show him up. But she never did. It was always talk. And that was why the man continued to badger her, insult her, annoy her. He knew she’d never outwardly do anything. He could see her lack of confidence in herself and he exploited that as much as he possibly could, which only made Aeryn hate him all the more. Her mentor, Eilidorn Jaheir, was the first to notice their rivalry and the first to tell her that she needed to ignore him, that he was merely trying to build up his own ego and confidence by destroying hers. But it was too late for that. She’d been rejected and given away by her own family. Her confidence would never be the same, could never be restored knowing that.

Jareth just laughed. “You would think that,” he began. “But there’s no need to degrade you. You’re already as lowly as one can get. Such a pitiful necromancer. You’ll be the joke of the order.”

Aeryn felt her eyes burn with tears, but she held them back. She wanted to hurt Jareth, make him feel remorse for treating her the way he did. But she knew she’d never follow through with such a thing. It wasn’t in her nature to actually destroy, despite some of the thoughts that ran through her mind.

“You can’t even do a proper summons,” Jareth taunted further, prodding Aeryn to do something drastic.

Aeryn closed her eyes. “Oh really?” she asked. At that, she grabbed Jareth’s arm and dragged him outside to a place that was secluded, where no one, not even her mentor, would find them.

“Well?” Jareth asked with a smug look.

Aeryn took a deep breath, her chest heaving despite being bound by a red corset top. She smoothed out her long black skirt and immediately began to chant. She wasn’t even sure where the words were coming from. They just somehow poured into her mind and spilled out of her mouth. Her eyes closed as the words flooded her mind. As she continued the incantation, a fiery-looking circle began to appear on the ground before them. Jareth winced at the sight of it and finally let out a yelp before running away.

Aeryn opened her eyes and nearly fell backwards at what she saw. Her eyes widening, her body trembling, she asked, “Who are you?”

Summoning a creature is never wise when one can not control it, especially when that it is a demon. One moment Jerakath had been torturing pour souls in his hellish plane of existence; the next he was being pulled away into the realm of mortals. He was in no mood to be harassed by mortals; definitely not by one so weak and fresh as this one. His tall body loomed over her as he pulled out his sword about to bring it down on her head, splitting her skull in half when the thought arose to him,"How do I get back!?"

As far as he knew he was trapped here in this mortal's realm if he didn't keep the one who summoned him alive, no matter how much he wanted her dead.

The man holding the sword before her was more than ominous. He made every part of her body tremble in fear. The look on his face was one of pure anger, sheer hatred. She was sure he’d kill her and she didn’t have any idea as to who or what he was. What had she done? What had she summoned?

“I… I don’t know,” Aeryn stammered, fearing for her life. “Please don’t hurt me, I mean you no harm,” she added hoping he’d take pity on her. Though somehow she didn’t think he would, given the way he was looking at her. “I don’t even know what you are.” Her eyes glistened with unshed tears.

Aeryn’s mind reeled. She tried to think about the words she’d said, but it was no use. She couldn’t even remember them, let alone attempt to decipher them. It was embarrassing and now she was reaping the consequences for being so stupid. She almost deserved to die, though she wasn’t ready to face death yet.

“I’m Aeryn Shadowstorm, a necromancer.” Aeryn collapsed to her knees and buried her face in her hands. “What have I done?” she asked herself aloud, not ready to face her fate.

"The hell do I care who you are!?" Feeling the magic in the area made sure his strength was kept strong, so as his angered grew the ground around the keep, crackling and shattering, causing pandemonium in the surrounding area.

He pulled the mortal up as if she was a rag doll with one hand pulling her face close to the blade of his sword, letting it draw blood from her forehead. The blade caused a burning sensation very similar to being on fire through out the body. "How did you summon me if you do not even know how to send me back?!" He was shaking with rage, having every intention of killing her upon his face.

Aeryn couldn’t help but scream out as the metal of the man’s sword touched her forehead. Her heart began to race as the reality of what was happening hit her. “Please don’t hurt me,” she cried, tears falling freely from her icy eyes. “I’ll find a way, I promise! I’m so sorry!”

Aeryn could feel the ground shaking, could hear the walls of the keep quaking. The grating and rattling sounds emanating from the walls made it seem as if the keep would come crumbling down, destroying everyone and everything near it.

“Please,” Aeryn pleaded, panic setting in that this man would not just destroy her, but everyone in the vicinity as well. “Don’t harm the others,” she whimpered. “It’s me you should be angry with.” She felt so helpless as the man held her like she weighed nothing, meant nothing.

Aeryn didn’t think she could be more afraid of this man, but after staring into his eyes, she realized that she could be. All she could do was hope that he’d show some kind of mercy on her and possibly accept her offer to help him find a way back, even though she had no idea where to start for she still had no idea who or what he was. Though from the look in his eyes, she didn’t think he would or could. No. This man dripped malice. It was clear he hated her for reasons unknown. There was no way he’d ever show her any pity.

Soon the demon threw Aeryn to the ground. causing the ground to crackle and shatter even more around her. He let his anger feed his powers as he concentrated on the keep that now stood like a cabin made of twigs before him. The building let out huge snapping and cracking sounds as it began to fall.

Then just as those in the area thought it couldn't get any worse the ground tore open in a gigantic rip, exposing the Earth's heart of fire. The keep fell to the abysmal cavern of hell as the demon returned to this human he hated. Picking her up holding her just above the gash in the Earth.

"You shall find a way for me to go back or ill send you to a hell even worse than this!" His eyes seemed to burn straight through hers, as his hand crushed her windpipe. The man now seemed even bigger if such a thing was possible, his hate radiating out to all that were near.

“Yes, I promise!” Aeryn screamed. Just then, she felt his hands squeezing harder around her neck. He was strangling her. “Please…” she gasped. “Please…”

Aeryn felt herself becoming dizzy and it was becoming harder and harder to keep her eyes focused. Was this man going to kill her? He told her that she needed to find a way to send him back. How could she do that if she were dead? And then there was the keep. It was falling into some sort of abyss that the man had managed to manifest out of nowhere. Without her keep, how would she have access to the books of spells and lore that could help her do as he demanded? It was as if he were forcing her to leave the only place she knew of as home. That was, if he didn’t kill her.

“Please…” Aeryn gasped again. She couldn’t even look the man in the eye any longer. The anger and hatred she saw there was too much. Slowly, her eyes rolled backwards and she felt her body going limp, giving into darkness. Was she dying? She didn’t know. She only knew that she felt powerless in this man’s hold.

Aeryn let out another choked gasp before her body succumbed to the blackness. The last thing she saw, the face of the man who seemed to hate her above everything else in the world.

The destruction around kept his hatred going until the woman in his hands passed out. The tower fell to the abyss below and the cries of people that were just outside of the scene could be heard even where he was. He looked at the limp piece of flesh in his hands now pitying it.

He put her over his shoulder and moved to a less dangerous location in the area, preferring not to fall into the hole that led to the abyss. He laid the human out studying her. He could tell she was full of magic, she definitely had the power to send him back. Now he had to make sure she had the experience, which he doubted seeing how young she was. He realized that he would probably have to help her study. He was caressing her face though when he thought of needing to help a human his rage burned again as he shook her awake.

Aeryn found herself surrounded by darkness. Everything felt so cold, like ice. Then, she felt a strange sensation against her cheek. It was warm, soothing, made her entire body feel alive. It called to her somehow, begging her to come back, to open her eyes. The sensation felt as if someone was caressing her cheek, trying to show her tenderness. She felt her body stir a little and as she began to rouse, the gentle caress turned to a rough shake. Finally, her eyes snapped open. There, looming over her was the man. The one she’d summoned.

Her eyes went wide and Aeryn gasped quite audibly as they locked onto those belonging to the man. The man who seemed to want her dead. Fear coursing through her veins, she tried to back away. But her feet only tangled in her skirt, causing it to rip and for her to be unable to move away any further.

“Please,” Aeryn choked out. “Please tell me who you are. I promise to do my best to help you. You have my word.”

Aeryn could feel her breathing coming in short raspy breaths. She brought a hand to her chest and felt it heaving almost uncontrollably. She needed to calm down, but it was difficult with this ominous man looking at her and fearing whether or not she’d die in the moments to come. She just hoped that he believed her because she truly meant every word of what she’d said.

The look on the man’s face was so difficult for Aeryn to read. And she had a hard time holding eye contact with him. The malice emanating from him made her uneasy and it didn’t help that she found him rather attractive as well. The whole thing was very disconcerting to say the least.

Again, Aeryn locked her icy blue eyes with his. “Only death will prevent me from helping you,” she whispered, hoping that her words would indeed touch him some how.

His eyes were red with the fury in his soul. He almost struck out at her again but he feared he may kill her. How could such a pathetic creature summon him and not think of the consequences, before doing so. All that kept him from riping her to pieces then bringing her soul down with him was that their would be no return if he did not help her.

"And why should I trust a mortal?! What is it you can do that I can not?!" His fiery eyes seemed to eat at the joy that was left in her heart. He wanted her to feel utter despair before helping her, he wanted to give her pain, that which she can not imagine.

Aeryn winced as the man’s eyes turned an unnatural shade of red. Her skin broke out into goosebumps, as if icy breaths were enveloping her and soaking into her body, deep into her soul. Yes, she feared the handsome man. This handsome man who dripped hatred.

Aeryn felt her heart twist into knots, her breath catch as she tried to inhale. What was happening?

Eyes filling with tears she looked up into the man’s eyes pleadingly. “I know you’re more powerful than I am. I don’t doubt that for a moment.” She gasped and tried to back away once again, only ripping her skirt more. “But you said you needed me to send you back.” She paused trying to gauge the man’s expression. “I’ll stay with you, if you don’t trust me. I’ll prove to you that you can.”

Tears streamed down Aeryn’s cheeks as she spoke. She knew that her life would be forever changed now, would never go back to the way it was. She wondered how much more time she had left where she could enjoy the beauties of the world. It didn’t seem like much and something deep within her soul said that it was this man who held her fate in his hands.

His eyebrows furrowed up words. "And how can one prove such a thing as loyalty?" He was no longer yelling but rather whispering words that pierced right to ones heart.

He almost laughed at the tears streaming down her eyes, and the fear that was held in them. She looked very much like a new born pup cornered by a man. His eyes quickly changed to a yellow. And he began to laugh. Right out of the blue for no apparent reason. "Do not worry little girl. I shall let you live as long as you help me. And in return I won't kill you, and Ill help you focus the skills you do have." He held out a hand to help the girl up. It was if he was a different man.

"By the way my names Jerakath, Demon of Passion." He bowed still having his hand outstretched.

Aeryn felt her soul falling into some deep, dark abyss. And then, just like that, the fear and despair were lifted. She watched the man’s eyes change from unnatural red to a golden yellow. His expression softened as he introduced himself and offered her his hand. His demeanor was so different from what it was moments ago. She liked this side of him better and found herself hoping that he’d show her more of that side if they were to spend some time together trying to figure out how to send him back from wherever it was she’d summoned him from.

Aeryn reached for Jerakath’s hand. A demon of passion. It explained his extreme emotions, not to mention his ominous aura. She couldn’t believe she’d managed to summon an actual demon, not to mention one that was as beautiful as this man appeared to be. According to lore, most demons looked like beasts. But it had been said that there were a select few, ones holding vast powers, that could pass for human. How she managed to summon such a powerful demon, Aeryn had no idea. She did know that she would do whatever she could to help him however.

Smiling a little at Jerakath’s bow, Aeryn spoke, “I’m pleased to make your acquaintance, Jerakath.” She brought her other hand to his and touched it tenderly. “I’m so sorry to have disturbed you. It really was an accident. I swear it.” She paused, lowering her eyes. “I’ll do whatever is needed to see you get back to where you came from.” She hesitated a little. “I feel so stupid, I truly am worthless,” she whispered to herself. She heaved a heavy sigh of sadness. Never had she ever felt so lowly and ashamed.

Jerakath pulled Aeryn up just a little to hard almost sending her into the air instead forcing her to jump a little off the ground. "Ah do not say this my dear. You have summoned me after all, no? I don't like to toot my own horn but I doubt anyone useless could summon a demon as great as me." He apparently heard her last few comments that slipped under her breath.

"And may I say that a women such as yourself, even if you had no magical talent, would easily make it in the companion business." He smiled jokingly. Though he admitted only to himself that she was very beautiful. "So as to your training, where do you think we should start? It seems I have made a bit of a mess around here." He looked around seeing the destruction in disgust.

Aeryn couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Was Jerakath actually complimenting her? One moment he was ready to mutilate her, the next he was saying lovely words. She definitely preferred the latter side, though she wondered how long that part of his nature would remain the dominant one. If she had any way of knowing what triggered the changes, she’d do her best to keep him the way he suddenly was.

“Thank you, kind sir, for the compliments,” Aeryn said as she gave Jerakath a low curtsey. She looked up into his handsome face before standing up straight once again. “And yes, I will need your help. I am so very sorry about that, about taking you away from wherever you were before hand. I assure you it was purely by accident.” She paused a moment. And when she saw that there was no malice in Jerakath’s golden eyes, she continued. “I will do what I can.” Hesitating a little, she added, “And the keep. If it’s possible to restore…” she feared she was asking too much, especially since mere minutes ago he had been ready to destroy her. She didn’t want her requests to anger him and bring that other side of his nature to the forefront once again. Though she didn’t know this man, this demon, she liked this side of him.

Jerakath just looked at Aeryn as she hesitated, her body trembling, her chest heaving as her lungs tried to take in precious air.

Aeryn found herself curtseying again on instinct, her eyes looking at the ground. She couldn’t face him for some reason. She just couldn’t. “If it’s possible to restore, it would greatly help me.” She swallowed, hoping that Jerakath wouldn’t be angry with her for stating the truth. She then found the courage to look up into his face. Her pale blue eyes locked onto his warm yellow.

At first Jerakath was fine with trying to bring back the keep that he destroyed. Then a voice from deep within his being called out saying. Are you really going to do every thing this mortal ask?! What are you her servant!? Listening to the voice he nodded agreeing, to the unseen voice. The thought began to anger him.

Him?! A servant to a mortal!? His eyes dimmed from its golden yellow color turning a deep red that brightened deeper and deeper soon becoming once again its fiery color. "WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM YOUR SLAVE?!! NEED I REMIND YOU THAT I AM THE ONE CALLING THE SHOTS HERE!? I AM THE ONE WHO HAS ALL THE POWER!" His rage flared suddenly, and as if to prove his point he took out sword once again slicing the ground at which she stood making it fall into the abyss with her on top.

He pointed at the piece of stone lifting it above the hole that was once the keep so in order to see him she had to look down towards the bottomless pit. "NOW WHO IS GIVING THE ORDERS?!" He shouted through his fit of rage.

Aeryn’s entire body began to shake, her teeth chattering, her heart racing. Oh god, she’d set him off again. She was beyond horrified. She hadn’t meant to anger him; she just needed his help. She had hoped he’d understand that, but apparently she’d been wrong about that.

“I’m so sorry,” Aeryn cried out through her sobs. She clutched onto the stone hovering above the abyss. One false move and she’d fall into it, surely meeting her death. And with everything quaking around her, it was difficult to keep herself from falling.

Aeryn looked over to Jarekath, her face pleading for his mercy. His eyes were that unnatural red color once again, glowing as if they were on fire. Despite how much his look frightened her, she found herself reaching out to him, desperately seeking his hand for balance, to bring her to safety.

“Please!” Aeryn screamed. As she reached out to Jerakath, she found that she was suddenly slipping. She let out a feeble shriek as she slid along the stone and grabbed onto its edge as her body fell over it. “Oh god…” she whispered on a choked sob. “I’m going to die… I’m going to fall!” Her mind reeling, fear consuming her mind, body and soul, she chanced a glance downward. Below her dangling feet she saw death. She then looked over at Jerakath. “Jerakath!” she screamed. “Help me! Please!” she couldn’t help but cry. “I can’t hold on… I can’t… please, Jerakath!”

Aeryn felt her hands slipping, her grip loosening. She couldn’t hold on much longer. Her hands and fingers were aching as she tried with all her might to hold on to the edge of the stone she’d been on, but it was no use. She closed her eyes, sore from the tears, as her hands slipped and she lost contact with the stone. She let out a shrill scream as she began to fall.

“Jerakath!”

At first her cries only angered her. The very thought that a mortal could call out his name when she pleased... If he didn't need her he would have let her fall, into the abyss with her fellow necromancers. As she began to slip and scream he felt the littlest bit sorry for her.

This feeling grew like a knot in his chest. Tears formed in his eyes for the pathetic being, as the eyes cooled down from a fiery red, to a deep blue color. Just as she began to fall from the rock when her screams were loudest he reeled her back into him. Catching her softly in his grasp, the tears running down his face, as he whispered, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He held her close to him, wanting to give her some sort of comfort that he knew she needed.

"I'll never put you in danger again, I'm so sorry." The rest of his words as the sadness over took him and he began to sob, like a child does when they are punished. He fell to the ground just sitting there and crying, as if he had just lost someone he loved.

Everything happened so quickly. Aeryn saw her life flashing before her very eyes, saw death coming, was falling into the abyss. Then, she was in the arms of Jerakath. He held her tightly, tenderly. She didn’t quite know what to make of it, but she was grateful he took pity on her and saved her from plummeting to her death. She could feel his tears against her skin as he cried and mumbled words of apology in her ear.

Unsure of what to do, Aeryn placed her arms around Jerakath and just held him, soothed him. She gently touched his hair with delicate fingers and spoke to him tenderly.

“It’s all right. I know, I know.” Aeryn felt so odd comforting a man, a demon, who emanated such power and strength. He could clearly destroy worlds if he’d had the mind to do it. But here he was, feeling compassion for nearly killing her.

Jerakath was a mystery. His mind almost seemed broken with the way it swung from one extreme to the next with a mere whisper. He was capable of the worst kind of nightmare, but it was clear that he was capable of other things as well. Beautiful things. Wonderful things. Aeryn found herself wondering if in her search for learning how to send him back to where he wanted to be, if she might be able to find a way to help him. Help soothe his mind, tame the terrors that bubbled out of him without any predictability. Right now, it seemed like a hopeless task if it weren’t for the fact that she saw this change. One even more drastic from the earlier change where he complimented her.

Aeryn pulled away a little bit and looked into Jerakath’s eyes. They matched the color of her own now and she felt as if she could easily get lost in those eyes. She gently touched his face and smiled.

“I’m all right now. You saved me.” Aeryn hesitated before she spoke her next words. “Thank you.”

His whimpers soon turned from her to those about what he had done to the place, all the lives he took and lives he had destroyed. Like a child he fell to the ground not controlling himself at all and balled his eyes out. The situation was very awkward only getting worse as a mob of townsfolk began coming closer, wandering what had just happened and who was responsible.

Yet Jerakath continued to cry even as the towns fold began to surround the two. The peoples eyes were filled with anguish and hate nearly as strong as Jerakaths' were only moments before. One could not know whether the crowd knew if Jerakath was a demon for they looked at the two equally half ready to help them half ready to blame them. A quite mummer began to spread through the mob as a tall man, came forth from the pack.

He was dressed in nice elegant clothes that were now dirty and mud covered from the catastrophe. If one looked close enough they would see blood on the sleeve of his coat jacket whether it was his or not one could not tell. He was a rather heavy set man with a gray, white beard and carried himself very well in front of the mob. His voice was compassionate and unassuming as he spoke softly, "Are you two alright? If you are do you mind telling us what happened here young madam?" He tried to ignore Jerakath who continued to cry about everything wrong with the world.

Aeryn continued to try and soothe Jerakath as the people from the keep, who’d managed to survive the catastrophic events from earlier, began to gather around. He nodded at her expression of thanks, but continued to weep over the destruction he brought to the surrounding villagers. The keep was more or less destroyed, most of it gone having fallen into the abyss which still remained, a large scar along the ground.

Jerakath’s cries became louder, drawing more attention. Aeryn wasn’t quite sure what to do. She was so stunned. He truly was a delicate creature despite his size and power.

“Shhh… there, there now,” Aeryn said in a whisper. She noticed more villagers gathering around, staring. Some with eyes wide with confusion, others with fear and still others with anger.

A heavy set man in gray approached the two of them. Aeryn felt her heart clench in fear at what his words might do to Jerakath. He was so volatile despite how harmless he appeared at the moment.

“Are you two all right?” the man asked as he brushed at his somewhat bloodied sleeves. “If you are, do you mind telling us what happened here young madam?”

Aeryn’s breath caught in her throat. She looked at Jerakath who was still weeping over what had happened, what could’ve happened, what had already happened in far away lands. It was all so disconcerting, so overwhelming. She couldn’t give Jerakath away. He was too unpredictable and capable of so much destruction if set off. Twilight Keep had already been destroyed; she didn’t want the whole of the forest of Ashwood destroyed as well. As far as she was concerned, it was luck that allowed so many to survive the chaos and destruction of earlier.

“No, good sir,” Aeryn spoke. “We have no idea as to how this occurred. The ground shook and the earth opened up like a mouth to Hell,” she gestured toward the gaping opening to the abyss. “Then, like the wind, it all just stopped. But not after walls and trees fell down and plummeted into the abyss over there.” She paused a moment and glanced at Jerakath. “Thankfully, we are both all right. Though I fear that the events have taken their toll on my companion here.”

The heavy set man looked at Aeryn warily. He clearly didn’t believe her story, or at least, not in full. His eyes narrowed and he moved closer to her. Aeryn could smell the dirt and the blood encrusted on his clothes. Swallowing nervously, she moved closer to Jerakath. She didn’t like the look on the man’s face. It had turned angry, his skin turning an odd shade of purple. He also gave her a bad feeling, a feeling of unease. Her instincts told her to get away from him, that he would bring trouble.

More villagers gathered around and their mumblings and mutterings grew until they were finally shouting. Their reactions seemed to spur the man on.

“Well, my girl. There are witnesses who say that you and your friend here are the ones responsible.”

“No, good sir, surely they are mistaken,” Aeryn interrupted defensively.

“You dare dabble in the darker arts of necromancy! With the forbidden spells!” he shouted, moving closer.

“No!” Aeryn exclaimed back.

“There are laws about such things, girl! You are a disgrace to your kind! We never should have allowed your kind to study here!”

“No!” Aeryn shouted, though it was lost to the shouts of the gathering crowd. Again, she looked at Jerakath, fearing that the man’s anger would affect him somehow.

“Don’t deny it! It’ll only worsen your fate!” The man grabbed at Aeryn’s wrist and began spouting accusations, the crowd cheering him on as he did so.

The shouting happening all around Jerakath began to make his blood boil once more. These pathetic creatures think they can punish us?! Who do they think they are? The voice appeared in his head once again. His eyes began to dry as he stopped crying now listening to the crowed as they insult and harass Aeryn. Now they threaten your one way to make it back! Make them pay!

Jerakath eyes began turning the blood red color they were now accustomed to. No one now paid attention to him as they all threatened and shouted at Aeryn. As the old man grabbed her and the crowd cheered Jerakath flew into action violently. In a flash the grip on Aeryn wrist went slack. For a second none knew why even the old man himself, then a blood curdling howl erupted from the man as his arm and body went their separate ways, blood spewing from the cut.

Jerakath began to slaughter the villagers that had gathered around in a fit of rage. The screams came from everywhere now worse then when Twilight Tower had fallen into the abyss. Those that attempted to flee the massacre were obliterated as the ground under them exploded, leaving a fiery trail of molten magma in its wake a crusty corpse laying next to it.

In a matter of moments there was nobody alive other than the Jerakath and Aeryn. He turned to her seemingly trying to decide if he should attack her or not as he had before. In his thought he looked at a corpse in a rather humiliating position now to lay there forever in that pose. He laughed at the thought and his spirit began to lighten.

His eyes once more turning away from their blood red into their golden yellow. "Does one have no dignity as they die?" He laughed almost insanely, as his mind suggested. "Well then my pretty dear perhaps we should get away from here before I put others into such embarrassing poses." He offered her his hand smiling, a completely changed creature.

Aeryn didn’t hesitate as Jerakath extended her his hand. She immediately placed hers in his, desperate to get away from the scene of death and destruction. Her beloved keep was decimated. Her mentor, innocent villagers… all of them were now dead. The only positive she saw in Twilight Keep’s destruction was the fact that more than likely Jareth had been killed. He’d been her arch-rival and nemesis since the day her parents had sent her to the keep, never wanting to see her again. He’d manage to make her life completely miserable for the past ten years, so his meeting an early death was more than satisfying to her. Plus, Aeryn was fearful of angering Jerakath, of setting him off again if she refused. Then again, those warm honey-colored eyes of his seemed to lure her to him somehow. It was all so bizarre. She didn’t quite know what to make of it.

“Yes, please let’s take leave of this place. I go where you go,” Aeryn responded with a small smile and a nod, her pale eyes locked onto his golden yellow. She wondered where Jerakath would take her now. The only place she knew of as home was gone and she also didn’t know how she’d be able to figure out how to send him back with the keep gone. She had no choice but to entrust her life to him, a demon man whose emotions could change from a single look. Aeryn just hoped he’d stay the way he was now for as long as possible.

"Well then what would you say about a trip to the a city? Hmmm?" He began to lead her towards the forest now desolate of life, as all creatures ran in fear long before now. "Which way would be the closest city? In fact I don't even know where we are?" He stopped and laughed. "This is very much like the blind leading the blind my dear. Perhaps you should lead. Just keep me informed as much as possible, will you dear?" His smile was resonating with the warmth of friendship. His eyes went over her as if she was an amazing piece of art. "My dear, this may be a bit off topic but has anyone told you how amazing you look?" His words seemed to go from one thought to the other in a matter of moments before she could even think about replying.

Aeryn thought for a moment about which city might be closest for them to travel to. Ashwood Forest was fairly large, but on the other side of it was Midnight Vale. It wasn’t an overly large city, but a mid-sized one. However, it was booming with life and adventure. It was also the town she grew up next to as a child before her parents gave her away to the necromancers of the keep.

“We can travel to Midnight Vale. It’s north of here, towards those mountains.” Aeryn pointed at the purple mountains looming in the distance. But her thoughts were interrupted as Jerakath shifted topics once again.

Aeryn couldn’t help but blush at his compliment. Never had she ever been complimented in such a way. At the keep, most of the others her age or thereabouts stayed away from her. Thanks to Jareth. Though she knew it was also her own way of carrying herself that turned people away. She desperately tried to give off an air of confidence, but everyone could see through that façade. They could see she was lacking in that regard. Jareth had always been one to exploit that about her and it made her angry just thinking about it. She often thought that if Jareth hadn’t been around, perhaps she’d have been able to get over her insecurities about her family no longer wanting her.

“No,” Aeryn answered, casting her eyes downward suddenly. “No one has. You are the first.” She suddenly found it difficult to look into Jerakath’s honey-colored eyes, so warm, so inviting.

Aeryn felt her skin grow hot as it flushed pink with embarrassment. She couldn’t tell if this demon was mocking her like Jareth or if he truly meant it. Despite it all, she found that she rather liked being complimented. It was nice, refreshing. She hoped he’d meant it, even if he was a demon capable of killing her and everything in his path.

Looking up at Jerakath once again, Aeryn smiled though her blush. “Midnight Vale is that way. I grew up near there.”

Back
Top Bottom