Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Host (Ookami & PlatinumDragon2013)

For the first time since meeting Kiro, Matt genuinely seemed happy, a warm smile plastered on his face as he ran his fingers through the glossy silver coat, he’d completely let his guard down, entranced by the large canine before him. His actions and expression one of complete trust and warmth. Matt had come across a few strays or hostile dogs before, but he found that they could often read his emotions better than most people, and seldom did they continue their barking and snarling when they sensed his positive intentions.

Matt had been on edge with the demon ever since the kiss, sure he’d been a bit… aroused at times, but he’d never actually liked the demon all that much. The affection and kindness the demon showed made no sense to him, and more importantly he was certain that Kiro wouldn’t hang around him without demanding a cost regardless of whether Matt welcomed his presence or not.

But in this wolf form, in a form which could be seen by others, Matt could talk to him without seeming as crazy as talking to what most people inferred to as his imaginary friend. And there was also something awfully assuring about having such a large powerful wolf by his side. Matt had no intentions of being rude, but Kiro wasn’t exactly a built warrior, or at least not his looks at least anyway. Matt still couldn’t believe what he’d seen last night between the Korgan and Kiro, but if he was to judge them on appearance alone, Matt hadn’t thought Kiro stood a chance. And if he’d been permitted to choose a guardian based solely on reliability, he probably would have felt safer with the muscle bound demon. But the silver wolf beside him now looked just as powerful, and was far more appeasing to the eye.

Seeing Kiro give in to his touch, his smile only broadened, finding it even harder to believe that the wolf was the same Kiro who’d seemed so dominant and controlling this morning, the wolf wasn’t quite submissive, but the way he let Matt touch his fur made him feel all bubbly inside. His hands continuing to feel around his ears as Kiro tipped his head to better angle his hand movements.

Good things never lasted long though, and Matt too had to acknowledge the presence of the girl as she casually strolled up to him and tried to start up a conversation. Matt’s smile immediately vanishing and being replaced with an annoyed scowl as she referred to Kiro as a puppy. First off no one ever came up to him without wanting something, and secondly he’d learned that whenever someone came up to him all friendly and nice, they were up to no good, more often than not a demon in disguise. “Hello Ellie, nice to meet you” he replied monotonously, slowly pulling Kiro closer to him as if doing so would keep him safe. The blue eyes of his glinting with suspicion and distrust. He completely ignored how her introduction suggested he give her his name, and he wasn’t about to give Kiro’s name away either. “Nice friend, but if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got other places to be” he stated gruffly, standing back up with his hand placed on the back of Kiro’s head, “Come on” he mumbled to the wolf, having no intentions of interacting with a stranger without reason. It could have been his imagination, but for a moment he thought he’d sensed that cold prickly feeling he felt whenever a demon was after him.

Kiro glared at the cat, when the cat stood up, Kiro got ready as if to attack but was pulled against Matt, instinctively he leaned into the boy - he didn't understand why but he knew the human was more comfortable with this form. He also decided he liked the look that the boy got. He looked so at ease, the first time Kiro had seen him that way since they were bonded - and it was towards him which he wasn't expecting. He wanted that look on the boy all the time, and it wasn't only because it made his soul stronger - there was another reason...he shook that feeling off focusing back on the situation.

He huffed lightly when Matt pulled him away, but he followed Matt reluctantly - he really wanted to just fight them and get it over with. He knew that is what they really wanted anyway, why were they beating around the bush. The movements only caused the girl to pout as she hurried after them, "Hey, that was rude, you aren't even going to tell me your name?" She pouted, her cat trailing after her.

Kiro growled at her following, "She's a host." Kiro stated bluntly - it was clear he wanted to confront them, though he was still following Matt. He refused to take his attention away from the two following them. "Her cat's name is Taki, if you think I'm an asshole, you don't want to deal with him." He huffed.

"How long have you and Kiro been bonded?" She asked - she was keeping a few steps behind him, her hands clasped behind her back as she was walking. "Have you come across other hosts before? How long have you been able to see demons? Where are you going? What is your name?" She baraded him with questions. "Have you ever done a host battle before?" She continued.

The questions were making Kiro's ears twitch as they tightened against his head - he had stopped growling but his hackles were still raised. He was walking close to Matt, protectively and on guard.

The blissful affectionate look Matt had worn while touching Kiro was rapidly fading, the frown once again appearing on his face, it almost seemed as if the frown was built into his natural expression, but it was more the fact at how the world seemed to suddenly be throwing every single one of its problems his way. He’d hoped the girl would get the hint and leave, but like some stupid anime heroine, the girl decided she’d blatantly ignore his clear rejection of her and chase after them.

“Figured as much” he thought in his head, wondering if Kiro would be able to hear his thoughts as well. Matt didn’t know if the girl was possessed or in a situation similar to his own, but whatever the case, he didn’t want anything to do with her. And judging from Kiro’s reaction and advice, his assumption of them had been accurate. “I’m guessing the cat isn’t a pushover seeing as how it’s still alive despite you knowing it?” he asked mentally again, finding the mental link to be rather fun, he felt the same playfulness a child felt when they were given a new toy to play with.

“Hey Emma, you got rocks in that head of yours or are you intentionally trying to be a pain?” Matt asked, finally stopping and turning around to look at Ellie. He’d intentionally gotten her name wrong in hopes that it’d upset her enough to make her go away, or at least indicate he wanted her gone. “No I’m not going to tell you my name, why should I? And everything else you asked is none of your business” he snapped.

If he were to be honest with himself, he was a bit intrigued by what a host battle was, but her other question about seeing demons put him off completely. Mainly because seeing demons wasn’t something that ‘happened’ but something that had simply been there for him since birth. His brow twitched when she called Kiro’s name out. It didn’t take a genius to figure the cat… Taki? Had told her, but there was just something infuriating about how friendly the girl seemed.

“If you’re so curious why don’t you ask you cat there?” he scoffed shaking his head. “I don’t know what you’re after, but you’re annoying, and I don’t want you stalking me, so how about you go scavenge through some bins with your cat friend and leave me and my partner alone?”

I'm assuming this is dead, contact me if you decide to resume it.

Back
Top Bottom