Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Blind Student

Lyra undressed and rummaged through his closet, she found an old baggy Grey t-shirt and slipped it over her heard, she pranced on through to the living room again and noticed he was 'sleeping', she gave him a little kiss on the forehead and whispered Goodnight, Jakey before heading into his room and cuddling up beneath the blankets, although she didn't hear the knocking on the door she heard a few kids shouting, although she just thought it was a row on the street or something. A couple of minutes later she heard a familiar voice, then a scream. Her eyes widened and she dashed up out of the bed and ran to Jacob, "OH, GOD! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE!?" She screamed, falling down and picking him up into her lap, she reached for her phone and rang an ambulance, it arrived in no time and took him into the back, screaming in pain with Lyra along side him.

It was briefly about 1am, the sky was pitch black and the rain was beating heavily against the cubical windows. A couple of hours had past before Jacob had awoken, they put him to sleep and bandaged his eyes over after treating him, seeing as he was already blind there was not much they could do, but they did say some changes may happen as the chemicals affected the remaining cells left around his eye. Lyra had tight hold of Jacob's hand, "Jakey, are you ok?" She cried with her head down, "It's all my fault... I shouldn't of done this to you, I shouldn't of ever let them know we were friends otherwise it might not of went this far... It's my fault, I know it is." She sighed and gave his hand a peck.

He woke up, the bandage on his eyes kept him from opening them still but it was not much different. He felt her besides him and smiled, "y..your here... it's not your fault, they decided to do this and they will pay for it". He groaned as the sounds intensified, something he had never expirienced before, "W...wha the hell,..... gosh so painful the sounds". He covered his ears and tried to calm down, holding her hand tight and squeezing it when something bothered him. He calmed down and smiled, "your voice is the only one not painful, your voice is beautiful". He smiled and sighed, he was glad she was with him when it happened, otherwise he would still be in pain or maybe even dead.

The doctor came and pointed at the girl and then outside. He exited and waited for her to come out he looked at her and sighed, "Well I got good news and bad news, the good news is that the liquid actually helped his sight, he may be able to regain very little of his sight, and I mean very little to nearly nothing". He took a deep breath and then looked at him on the room, "The bad news is that the liquid also affected his hearing, he will be able to hear but it would be double as loud as it was, we ordered a hearing aid that will help him hear less, he will have to have this all the time or else he will be screaming in pain". He smiled and left her to her thinking.

Not once did Lyra let go of his hand, she only tried to comfort him and do as she could to make everything easier. But when the doctors called her out she feared it was something terrible. It was... But it was also something which she knew he would be somewhat pleased about.

"Will I be able to take him home today?" She pleaded, not wanting to stay in the hospital as this is what her and Jacob did a lot when they were friends as children.

"Ah, well, we'll have to attach his hearing aid which will only take briefly 30 minutes then you are free to take him right home. However, somewhat must stay with him, or at least check up on him through out the first week or two." The doctor hinted, moving his glasses forward a little.

"Ah, yeah, of course, I'll be with him, don't worry. He's been there like a brother to me." She smiled, nodded and entered Jacob's room again. "Hey, hon. How are you feeling?" She smiled, stroking his hair gently, "Listen... The doctor is gonna come on in soon and attach your... Hearing aid." She sighed, seeing his face, "The chemicals have seemed to have a strange impact on you're hearing, but somehow multiplied the cells left in your eyes there fore giving you some sort of site, but it's to do with the noise around you, so the doctor will be attaching a hearing aid to assure sounds do not affect you more than they are right now." She tried to speak as quietly as she could, "I'll be just outside waiting for you." She gave his hand one last squeeze and left, allowing the doctor to have his privacy whilst dealing with Jacob.

He nods as he heard her quite well despite the low volume of her speech. He smiled and shook his head, "I been living for the past 11 years without sight, it would be strange seeing something even a little bit". He smiled and nodded, "I will be alright, do not worry about me", he smiled and heard her leave. Then he could smell what he figured out to be the doctor came in and stand besides him.

"Hey buddy I am going to start right away, since your ears are sensitive this will hurt quite a bit but it will be for your best". He took a deep breath and started to slowly insert the hearing aid to the screams of Jacob. It hurted and the doctor knew it but he tried to ease up and give me as little pain as possible. Once it was in he placed a couple of drops on his ear and sighed, "do this every four hours for the first three days".

After getting him ready Jacob was helped to a chair and the doctor shook his head, "you better watch out, and that young lady loves you very much protect her". He smiled and nodded, "yea doc, I know and thank you". He smiled as he slowly pushed the car out of the room trying to locate her, "L...Lyra....". He smiled and waited for her to arrive, as soon as he felt her he smiled and nodded, "let's leave, let's go home".

Lyra waited impatiently, walking back and forth and fidgeting with her fingers as she waited for the doctor's approval of her to take him home. About 45 minutes had past and the curtains were indrawn and Jacob had wheeled himself out, she took the handles and took him outside of the hospital, "I've rang a cab to take us back to my place, but it's only so I can get a few things to take back to your place with you, don't worry. I'll be along side you." She took his hands and helped him out of the chair once the cab had arrived, seating him next to her.

"Where ya' going, love?"
The driver asked in a grungy voice,

"Firstly to Groves RD, you know the apartment blocks? Then straight to..." She didn't know Jacobs exact address so she gave him a little nudge so he could tell the driver where they'd be going afterward.

She squeezed his hand, "I'm gonna take care of you, okay?" Once they arrived at their first destination she gave Jacob a quick peck on the cheek, "Just wait here." She ran in and packed a few things into a satchel before dashing back out. Jacob made a lot of his jokes and tried to converse to make the situation better, which he always did. When they arrived she threw some cash to the front at the cab driver with her many thanks and slowly took Jacob out of the cab to enter his apartment.

He smiled as soon as he heard her behind him, "Oh, there you are, let's leave already". He smiled as soon as he felt the cold breeze of the outside air hitting his face gently. He took a deep breath and sat on the back of the taxy hearing what she had to say and he told the driver his direction. He smiled as he always tried to make her laugh, his joke were kinda lame but he enjoyed making them. He felt her leave and smiled, the driver spoke to him "so, why are you blind?". He sighed and spoke in a very low tone, "Drunk Driver".

He smirked as soon as he heard her enter again and then soon enough they were in his house. He walked to the edge of the bed and nods, "Doc said I can take out the bandage as long as there is not much light, my eyes need to adjust to the light and the liquid kinda burned my eyes a bit". He smiled as he nodded at her, "take the bandages off, let's see what those assholes made of me". He smiled as soon as he felt her slowly take the bandages off and he took a deep breath, "slowly slowly". After the bandages were off he was afraid of opening his eyes.

Lyra was happy to just get him home, she took him into his bedroom as she knew he would probably want some bed rest and perhaps something to eat which of course she would make him, she often made herself home made meals, cooking relaxed her, made her feel good about herself. Almost as if she were a house wife, but much more.

She nodded at him and walked over to his light switch, luckily he had a dimmer, she dimmed the lights down so he could adjust right, she sat over beside him helping him take his bandages off, she wondered if he would be able to see her at all, she sat right up next to him, her face only a few inches away from his, "Open your eyes.." When he finally did she smiled, wondering whether he could see her at all, she began to hum the song that they played when they were younger, perhaps it would comfort him.

He groaned as soon as he felt the last bit of the bandage go off his face. Slowly taking a deep breath he opened his eyes, nothing changed until she hummed. At the moment she started humming he could see the outline of her face, like it was a drawing. His eyes went wide as he smiled, "it's weird, I can see but not normal, it's like a drawing that needs coloring, you have long hair don't you?". He smiled and stood up slowly walking to his piano, if a little hum could make him see at least the outline he wondered what he would be able to see with the sound of the piano playing. He started to play another song and the room started to become a bit visible, it was not much but he could see the outlines of the walls and he could see her sitting on the bed, all in chalk like drawing. He stopped playing and smiled, walking back to the bed he smiled kissing her forehead, "I... I can see a bit, but only when theres sound or vibrations for what I noticed".

Lyra smiled, nodding with a little bit of a laugh, "Yeah, I remember when I was little I used to have really short hair... That's changed." She smiled and watched him as he walked toward his piano, she was amazed by his new sites, and how he was able to see. "Wow.. That's.. Wow." She giggled a little, pulling him back beside her. She took his and and ran it through the full length of her hair, "My hairs really long now, it's still pretty curly too, but I use a flat iron on my hair.. It's gonna ruin my hair one day." She sighed and shrugged, "Hey, how about I make you something to eat. Anything you want." She smiled and stood up heading towards his kitchen and taking out some supplies, checking of what food he had, it looked like he'd been shopping but not once touched his food, "You must order in a lot, eh?" Some of the stuff in the fridge was out of date, so she chucked it, but there was a lot of good things too.

Back
Top Bottom