Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Babysitter (Watari x TortoiseShell)

Watari

Moon
"Moooom! Where are my keys?!"

Cassandra's voice echoed through the house, and she stormed through the kitchen, looking for her car keys. She was already running late, and this seemed to be a very inopportune moment for her keys to disappear on her. She sighed as she sorted through the mess that was the kitchen counter. Despite having just cleaned it last week, the place was a mess, yet again because of her mother. Sometimes, she wondered who the adult was in the house. Finally, she spotted them under a copy of yesterday's New York Times.

"Yes!" she said, excited to have found them. She screamed, "Never mind, I found them! I'm off to babysit, and I won't be back for a week! Bye mom." She was slightly miffed that her mom didn't even want to come down from her room to say good-bye to her. But then again, she was probably in the zone. Her mom was an author--and a pretty famous and successful one too. However, this meant that she often spent hours at a time, shut up in her room, waiting for inspiration to strike for her next book. So, Cassie had learned at an early age how to take care of herself. The whole neighborhood knew that she was the most responsible teenager in town, and so, anytime parents needed a babysitter, it was her phone that would ring.

Not that Cassie minded it. She loved kids, and babysitting provided her with a steady flow of cash for her own needs. However, this was the first time she would be staying at someone's house for a week. The kid's mother was out of town, and the father didn't know enough about raising a child in order to be trusted to take care. So, before she left, the mom had called Cassie and set up a contract for a whole week. And the pay wasn't too shabby.

Checking to see that she had packed everything, Cassie loaded her bags into her car and with one last look at her house, drove off. The kid was named Marcus, and she had baby sat him a couple of times before that--but when she was much younger. She was really looking forward to seeing how big he'd become. Smiling at that thought, Cassie drove for about thirty minutes, before pulling into a small side street called Cherry Grove Lane. The house was the last one on the street, and the end of a very long driveway. As she pulled in, she saw that the father's truck was there. So he's home she thought to herself. Well, that'll make it easier to settle in.

She pulled her luggage out of the trunk and hauled it up the steps to the front door. There, she rang the bell, and waited for him to answer.

Back
Top Bottom