Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Favorite anime

Boredsensless

Planetoid
Im really bored. So I figured I'd make a post and ask what everyone's favorite anime and why and do you rp your favorite anime?

My favorite of anything never lasts long, but currently I would say Planetes. Does anyone know it? I just love the way it portrays space and the industry around it. I have not roleplayed it, nor do I really know anyone else familiar with it. I would consider a story in that setting though, if not the actual characters.

I haven't really watched too many, and most haven't been all the way through, either. If emory serves, these are all I've seen at least a few episodes of:

Sailor Moon
Pokemon
Gundam Wing
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball GT
Hamtaro
Tenchi Muyo
Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Inuyasha
FLCL
Paranoia Agent
Witchblade
Popotan
Mushishi
Ikki Tousen
Excel Saga

I think that's all in the order I've watched them in, too, though I'm not certain. Gonna include a potential spoiler warning here just in case.

I'd watched Sailor Moon when I was really young, or young enough to remember having lost my first tooth while watching the show, so I guess it's a bit special, as well as a possible explanation as to why I like more dominant girls like Mars. :p I'd gone back to rewatch it for the first time since then, but have yet to finish it. Hopefully the website that has it is still up because it's been more than a few months.

Pokemon was a big thing among all the kids back then, from the cards to the video games and obviously the tv show. The first season was ok, but I have not watched it since, and don't much care to. I don't really like it when things seem to be specifically aimed at kids because it feels way too forced. The first movie was pretty good, but after that they've gotten a bit ridiculous.

I think I was only really casual about liking Gundam Wing. Much of it just went right over my head and all I really cared to see was giant robots fighting with lightsabers and guns and stuff in space. The movie they had(I think it was called Endless Waltz?) was fun, but it was still the same for me there, too.

The Dragon Ball series is a bit weird. I believe DBZ aired on Toonami before the others, or at least it did when I started watching it. Admittedly it didn't really catch my interest until Trunks was introduced at the beginning of the Cell saga. It was enough to hold me for a long while, right up until Buu came in. Apparently I'm odd in that fat Buu was my favorite villain, but he was. Of course I started to lose interest when Buu became more stereotypical and it became clear to me what all filler there was and had been throughout the series. After that, the original DB came along, and I was unsure of it at first, but I eventually got to liking it much more than DBZ for its originality and humor and light heartedness. That and I find the plot and story way more interesting. There's not much I can say about GT, having only watched maybe a few episodes before giving up on it.

Hamtaro was ok despite not remembering very much about it. I guess most of it was that my siblings and I had our own hamsters at the time so it was fun imagining what they would do when no one was watching. Also, the main character had a crush on a boy named Travis, which coincidentally happens to be my name, so it was funny whenever he came up. :p

Tenchi Muyo was a little strange. Very straight forward for the most part - a buncha crazy girls wanna jump a relatively average joe's bones, pretty much. The thing is, I guess I didn't really understand why the story seemed to "reset" every season or so? It seemed the universe changed after every big epic event and characters would have different obs or come from different places or whatever.

There isn't much I can say about Samurai Champloo, Trigun, or Cowboy Bebop, as I've probably seen the least of each of those. Methinks I probably should as they seemed to have very distinct styles.

Inuyasha was alright, from what I've seen. As I understand it, it's still not finished? Or maybe I'm mistaken? Anyway, it can be a bit tame, and it does seem more romantic than anything else, but I don't mind because the story seems decent enough and most characters are ok.

FLCL is probably the one I understand least. I don't think I understood any of what went on in it. :p

Paranoia Agent was pretty great. It was pretty much only focused on the main story, only being 13 episodes long if I'm remembering right, so there wasn't much room for filler. It was quite abstract but nothing that could not be deciphered. Plus it had great music.

Witchblade was meh....mostly just boobies. :p

Popotan had boobies, too, but significantly less(though there was a slightly suggestive ferret thing) and had more focus on a sort of a light story - in the sense that it didn't have an exactly typical conflict or bad guy or good guys or whatever.

Mushishi was kind of strange. I don't know whether they finished it or not, or if for some reason I decided to stop watching it, but from what I can recall, there was no overarching plot for the most part. Near every episode was more of a self contained thing. Not to say it didn't have good quality, though.

Ikki Tousen was just really silly and very perverted. Sadly it seemed that they were trying to be a bit serious with it which lessens it a bit for me, because it just comes across to me as very convoluted.

Excel Saga seems to be rediculousness done right. I don't think there was a single thing I did not like about the show. It was hilarious near all the way through and didn't take itself seriously too much at all. Funny thing is, there's one part towards the end that had me feeling worse for the main character than I have with most other serious shows(I won't spoil what it is or when exactly it happens). Actually, another funny thing is that I didn't know what to expect, so I went in thinking it was just going to be pretty average. I wasn't sure what to make of the first scene, wherein I was at least glad that the main character immediately died because of what I thought at the time was unintentionally bad voice acting.

So I guess my favorite would have to be Excel Saga, because I do think it is one of the better expressions of art in general, though as I said, Sailor Moon is still special to me, and Dragon Ball has a kind of classicness to it. Paranoia Agent is in there somewhere. I want to at least mention Inuyasha even though there is nothing particularly amazing about it - perhaps it's just the art style or me being a hopeless romantic.

You need to go back and watch Cowboy Bebop from the beginning and in its entirety. On that list of yours, it is one of the absolute, if not THE best one on there. You should also check out Hellsing if you are into vampires at all (both the original and Ultimate). Samurai Champloo you should also watch in its entirety as it was also great and is worth it, though the ending--in my opinion--was ridiculously abrupt and thus somewhat irksome, however it is still a worthy watch. And if you are into the whole wandering samurai deal, add in Samurai 7 and Ruroni Kenshin/SamuraiX. And if you like big giant robots, the best mecha anime to watch (because I'm not a fan of that particular genre) is Code Geass/R2. Best. Ones. Ever. The story is fabulous as are the characters and the way they develop. And yeah, I don't give a shit if a lot of people whine over the ending.

I have a very strong interest in role-playing fandom. Regardless of the medium, there are usually a few things that make some fandoms better for role-play than others. I'm the sort of person that, when crafting a plot for such a role-play, likes to stick to canon as closely as possible. Unless there's an intent to make it AU, I respect the events that happened canonically. Naturally, this is easier to do with anime that have a plot that is smaller in scale. The more involved, intriquite, lengthy, and world changing the plot, the more difficult it can to stay within the boundaries I prefer.

A good example of this would be Mobile Suit Gundam. My interest in this series is mostly centered on the original, UC timeline. This is an entire saga that takes place over the course of dozens of years, even over a hundred. Each part of the series clearly defines many of the events that happen, and they are usually crucial to shaping the world the characters in habit. To alter these events would be to derail the plot. So, the room to create an original plot is limited. One could just role-play during those events, but then the plotting and planning in the role-play becomes more intricate and involved. While this may not bother some people, I'm too anal to start getting details wrong at that point. I need it to all fit, and then it becomes more of a job. An intimate knowledge of the lore becomes more and more necessary as a requirement for a partner.

A series that is very easy to work with is Cowboy Bebop. It has a very simple plot-line, in that the events do not dramatically effect the world around the characters. The exploits of the Bebop crew are largely self contained. The only variables to be considered are events that happen in the very last episode, and that's only if the role-play takes place after the anime. Outside of that, there's ample room to craft any kind of story, and of any kind of magnitude (depending on when it takes place, of course). There's freedom to really explore the world, and to do so without requiring a partner with intimate knowledge of the lore.

Another off shoot that tends to be difficult are the sorts of anime that require a wealth of technical knowledge. Ghost in the Shell is a good example of this. If there is any hope of really mimicking the feel of the show, to really role-play it, a good understanding of the lore is required. This also comes into play with Mobile Suit Gundam, as I mentioned before. Personally, when these details aren't represented right in my partners writing, or my own, it bothers me; it ruins the experience.

I can't narrow it down to one favorite, but here's a list of some of the anime I really enjoy. I already posted this in another thread, but I don't see the harm in making a repeat.

Mobile Suit Gundam

Ghost in the Shell

Paprika

Hellsing

Full Metal Alchemist

BECK

Hajime no Ippo

RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~

Samurai X (the OVAs in particular)

Baka and Test

Tokyo Godfathers

Akira

Steamboy

Dragon Ball Z Kai

Cowboy Bebop

Blood: The Last Vampire

Also, about BECK.

It's been mentioned before, but I figured I'd give it a plug anyway-- I just finished reading the manga. Do you like music? Then you need to go watch Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. Why? I have yet to see an anime that does the band genre better than Beck. Now, I know it may be a niche genre with slim pickings, but Beck is really good.

First off, the music is actually pretty good. I'm not a fan of most Japanese rock, however what you have in Beck is some decent stuff. The real-life Beat Crusaders were the driving musical force behind the anime, so it has an authentic feel. The music isn't just some studio band hired by the production company to belt out some quick tracks. The songs in Beck can stand on their own feet, and still retain the raw, amateurish feel of a band just starting out. The only problem with the music is that they cannot possibly live up to the bar the author set with the main character's voice. This creates a bit of a disconnect, as you watch the fan reaction on screen, and then gauge it against your own more realistic response. Another cool thing is the English dubbing of the series; they actually re-recorded the music in English. I think it's really cool that the localization bothered to do this, however the results are mixed. When translated into English, the rapcore songs are a bit lost. Chiba, the hip-hop/rap front-man, loses a whole lot of his aggression and flow. I also found that the songs themselves feel a little more flat.

The animation isn't anything special. It's the typical quality you'd expect from most anime productions. It isn't bad, but it isn't OVA quality or anything. However, the feel of the manga is preserved in the art style and animation, so it's a boon to the fans of the manga. Both the opening and ending credits are done very well. Both capture the feel of the anime very well. The visuals are satisfying, and the music is just fantastic.

Where this anime really shines is the story. Beck is a surprisingly realistic tale of what it's like to get a band going. While this is a tale of a shy novice realizing his potential and talent, he doesn't get there overnight. Yukio "Koyuki" Tanaka, can sing his ass off, but he's a diamond in the rough. For what talent he does have vocally, he lacks it elsewhere, as he picks up a guitar and learns to play. For months he practices, and for years he performs, but it isn't for at least four years that he starts to come into his own. While the manga does extend years after the anime, I assure you that Koyuki isn't portrayed as some prodigy god. He doesn't give a lopsided smirk, flick his nose with his thumb, and then rattle off a shonen one-liner. He's a humble guy, and he knows he isn't great, but he diligently works harder to get better. He's written more like a real person. Throughout the series, the band deals with chemistry issues, disappointing performances, and the brutal expenses of a tour. Things go wrong for Beck more often than they go right. However, when things do go well, when the stars are perfectly aligned, their triumphs are great. The hard work and passion they put into their music pays off. It's very satisfying to watch or read.

So, go watch Beck! You won't be disappointed; It has action, comedy, romance, and awesome music!

Mnemosyne. Now that was a good one. Crazy as a motherfucker, but good nonetheless. Akira is also good, my first anime ever and thus cherished by me. Yep, holds a special place in the heart. FMA made me cry and anything that makes me cry is good, haha. Speaking of crying... Gunslinger Girl, Elfen Lied... yeah. I cried. >.> Ghost in the Shell (both 1 and 2) are good and quite philosophical. I rather liked them, but you have to be in the right frame of mind for them. Ohh... I also rather liked Battle Angel. Dystopic settings intrigue me, what can I say? XD

It's a tie for me. Cowboy Bebop and a miniseries called Blue Sub No. 6

I have to agree with our glorious leader. Bebop is one of the most well-put-together anime I've ever seen. The episode: "Pierrot le Fou" is particularly good. The full length movie isn't bad either.

I also enjoyed Blood+, Lupin the Third, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Case Closed.

Just fore-warning, I group anime and manga together, especially for series' that do not span over both media.

Yotsubato (a manga series)
Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Azumanga Daioh (manga)
NANA
Inuyasha
Fushigi Yugi
Gurren Lagann
Ouran High School Host Club (manga)
Shin Chan (English dub obviously)

Then there's a crap ton that I loved, but these are my tops.

Holy fuck. I cannot believe I didn't mention them already and I'm stabbing myself with a fork for not having done so... but my god, these HAVE to be added to my list of awesome:

Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

That is all.

Off the top of my head:

Shin Getter Robo
Casshern Sins
Ojamajo Doremi
Heartcatch Pretty Cure
Pretty Cure Splash Star
Robotics;Notes
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
SDF Macross
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Mazinkaiser SKL
Serial Experiments Lain

Mitsu said:
Also, about BECK.

It's been mentioned before, but I figured I'd give it a plug anyway-- I just finished reading the manga. Do you like music? Then you need to go watch Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. Why? I have yet to see an anime that does the band genre better than Beck. Now, I know it may be a niche genre with slim pickings, but Beck is really good.

First off, the music is actually pretty good. I'm not a fan of most Japanese rock, however what you have in Beck is some decent stuff. The real-life Beat Crusaders were the driving musical force behind the anime, so it has an authentic feel. The music isn't just some studio band hired by the production company to belt out some quick tracks. The songs in Beck can stand on their own feet, and still retain the raw, amateurish feel of a band just starting out. The only problem with the music is that they cannot possibly live up to the bar the author set with the main character's voice. This creates a bit of a disconnect, as you watch the fan reaction on screen, and then gauge it against your own more realistic response. Another cool thing is the English dubbing of the series; they actually re-recorded the music in English. I think it's really cool that the localization bothered to do this, however the results are mixed. When translated into English, the rapcore songs are a bit lost. Chiba, the hip-hop/rap front-man, loses a whole lot of his aggression and flow. I also found that the songs themselves feel a little more flat.

The animation isn't anything special. It's the typical quality you'd expect from most anime productions. It isn't bad, but it isn't OVA quality or anything. However, the feel of the manga is preserved in the art style and animation, so it's a boon to the fans of the manga. Both the opening and ending credits are done very well. Both capture the feel of the anime very well. The visuals are satisfying, and the music is just fantastic.

Where this anime really shines is the story. Beck is a surprisingly realistic tale of what it's like to get a band going. While this is a tale of a shy novice realizing his potential and talent, he doesn't get there overnight. Yukio "Koyuki" Tanaka, can sing his ass off, but he's a diamond in the rough. For what talent he does have vocally, he lacks it elsewhere, as he picks up a guitar and learns to play. For months he practices, and for years he performs, but it isn't for at least four years that he starts to come into his own. While the manga does extend years after the anime, I assure you that Koyuki isn't portrayed as some prodigy god. He doesn't give a lopsided smirk, flick his nose with his thumb, and then rattle off a shonen one-liner. He's a humble guy, and he knows he isn't great, but he diligently works harder to get better. He's written more like a real person. Throughout the series, the band deals with chemistry issues, disappointing performances, and the brutal expenses of a tour. Things go wrong for Beck more often than they go right. However, when things do go well, when the stars are perfectly aligned, their triumphs are great. The hard work and passion they put into their music pays off. It's very satisfying to watch or read.

So, go watch Beck! You won't be disappointed; It has action, comedy, romance, and awesome music!

I'll totally vouch for this. I've watched Beck several times (Japanese, English Subs btw. Much better.) And I absolutely loved it. Your heart breaks at how much misfortune they run into, but honestly it's one of the greatest anime out there. The guys who made it deserve real credit.

Rave said:
I'll totally vouch for this. I've watched Beck several times (Japanese, English Subs btw. Much better.) And I absolutely loved it. Your heart breaks at how much misfortune they run into, but honestly it's one of the greatest anime out there. The guys who made it deserve real credit.

If you enjoyed Beck, then you should check out Harold Sakuishi's new manga, Rin. It draws heavily from the feel of BECK, but is a manga about a young man trying to become a mangaka. There also appears to be some sort of supernatural element as well, so who knows where this story is going to go. Some people have been comparing it to Bakuman, but I've never personally read that series.

Oh my golly gosh.... Casshern. Yes. That was most excellent as well. Jeez. Now I'm getting all kinds of nostalgic over my anime days. I haven't watched in a lonnnnnng while, but I've most definitely seen my fair share. Oh yes, I most certainly have.

Hm..
Fairy Tail
Excel Saga
Sailor Moon
Fruits Basket
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Azumanga Daioh
Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist
Ouran High School Host Club
Samurai Champloo
Twelve Kingdoms
Chrono Crusade
Death Note
Galaxy Angel
Steel Angel Kurumi
Mass Effect - Paragon Lost

I would probably add more if I could remember the names.

My favorites are: Moyashimon (which is mostly a comedy anime with college level agricultural education in it)
Time of Eve
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Ghost in the Shell
Gyagu Manga Biyori
Nichijou
Lovely Complex
The Wallflower
Kamichu!
Genocyber
Hellsing OVAs
Mardock Scramble

Hajime no Ippo
Trigun
GTO
FMJ
Vampire Hunter D
Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Nana to Kaoru

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Hellsing (Original and Ultimate)
Code Geass
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Darker than Black

Those aren't really my 'favorite' anime so much as they are the ones I actually watched and enjoyed. I don't really watch much anime, or go out of my way to do so, but it's always nice when I find something I end up liking.

Halaster said:
Hellsing (Original and Ultimate)
Code Geass
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Darker than Black

Those aren't really my 'favorite' anime so much as they are the ones I actually watched and enjoyed. I don't really watch much anime, or go out of my way to do so, but it's always nice when I find something I end up liking.

Those are also great! Loved death note!

Neon Genesis Evangelion, End of Evangelion and Evangelion Rebuild.

No other anime has wormed its way into my head quite like those ones.

My list is always changing however currently my favorites are:

Fate/Zero
Attack On Titan
Claymore
Genshiken.
To Aru no Majutsu index
The Unlimited: Hybou Kyosuke.
Koutara-San.
Full Metal Alchemist (both Brotherhood and Origional Series.)
Cowboy bebop
Fairy Tail.
My Little Sister Can't Be this Cute (First season)
Gundam Seed (first Series)
Gundam Wing.
Code Geass.
Death Note
Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann.
Carnival Phantasm.
Clannad.
FLCL or Fooly Cooly.
Sword Art Online. (I know the second half sucked but I find it enjoyable.)
Tiger X Bunny.

Probably something I forgot, come to think of it. I'm sure it will come back to me.

Back
Top Bottom