Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Aspirations (Candira x Shake)

Lucy frowned when she realized Durihan wasn't with the others, nor was Fenrir. Seemed like their new recruit had managed to get in over his head. Maybe putting him in charge of an attack was too much so soon. It was clear that the man was used to fighting on his own. He was also not used to losing. Perhaps he just needed more time. Whatever the reason, she was sure that Kael had his reasons. Whatever they were was put on hold, however, as Lucy charged into the fray with the others, riding to provide cover and possibly pick up the new recruit if he was still alive.

Kael got there first, however, so her main job was to ensure that nobody got too close. She rode fast and hard, cutting down men like she was a lumberjack and they were trees. The redhead wasted no time in riding back, however. Without needing to be told, she knew what Kael's plan would be and rode off with Jaren to the castle as the massacre erupted behind them.

Hours later, safe again, Lucy indulged in the greatest of all rewards: a hot bath. She was treated like a princess--a warrior princess--but a princess nonetheless. Clean and feeling much better after battle, she slipped into a pair of riding pants as always, and a fancier top for celebration. She wore her hair down again, figuring it would be easy to pull it back later. She ate her fill and enjoyed the celebration with the others...but then she saw Durihan was missing. After a little bit of searching, she found him alone on the castle walls.

"You know, it's no good to dwell on the past. Honor it, learn from it, but don't dwell." Lucy stared out at the battlefield and let the silence return for a moment before turning her gaze toward Durihan. "Something on your mind?"

Durihan didn't look over to Lucy once she had started talking, the man keeping his gaze out at the battlefield. It was only when she asked him if there was something on his mind did he turn to look at her. “The Lion Brigand is a known name among mercenaries, the commander never failing in any mission he takes on. His soldiers following his orders without question. I didn't quite know who was keeping that castle guarded a week ago, but just seeing how you guys fight. I am just not used to it I guess.” Durihan stated, giving Lucy a simple look up and down her body. It wasn't one of those lustful stares that Biso or some of the other men would give her when she was in more woman friendly clothing, but one to simply take in what she was wearing before looking back at her eyes. “Why di-” However before Durihan could finish his sentence Jaren would chime in.

“What are you two doing all alone up here on this full mooned night?” He asked, his cheeks a little red from the ale had had been drinking. Poe was with Jaren as well, simply smiling as he held an over large chicken or some sort of meat. “Why aren't you down with us celebrating?” Jaren asked Durihan. “Plenty of people want to thank you for holding the rear!” Jaren said, but as he said that he looked at Lucy's rear and laughed a little.

“I don't need your guy's thanks. I was following orders.” Durihan stated, Jaren glaring at the man for a second before snapping his fingers. Poe walking up and pretty much man handling Durihan. Within seconds Durihan was hanging over Poe's shoulder. “Come on we will party!” Jaren said, hooking his arm with Lucy's as he started to head back down. “Don't touch me!” Durihan shouted, bringing his elbow into Poe's nose. Poe standing there till Durihan removed his elbow. The giant of a man simply getting a bloody nose before he started to squeeze Durihan by the ribs, which didn't help the wound Kael gave the man. “OK OK!” Durihan shouted, Poe only smiling as he followed after Jaren and Lucy.

“Hey he is here!” Some of the men shouted, raising their mugs. Poe pretty much dropping Durihan on his head. Durihan quick to get on his feet as he rubbed the back of his head. “You fucking moron!” Durihan shouted but Poe knelt down, a mug in his hand offering it to Durihan. “His name is Poe, and he wants you to drink with him.” Garland said as he sat nearby, his face already red from the amount of ale he had drank. But he did his best to keep his composure. Poe only smiled at Durihan, watching as Durihan slowly took the mug. And as Durihan drank the others did as well. Before long Durihan was sitting down with the group listening and laughing with them about the battle.

Lucy watched Durihan, understanding to a point. He was not used to the way the Lions operated. She might have answered his next question if Jaren and Poe hadn't interrupted. She gave Jaren a rather bland stare as he gazed at her ass. She punched his arm and rolled her eyes as he and Poe in their drunken stupor dragged the two of them back down. Of course, Lucy knew better than to resist, and she could drink a great deal more than any of the others at the table.

Before long, however, she was at the table, laughing and drinking. So was Durihan. The redhead was still the most steady and sober when the night was over. She helped some of her friends back to their rooms with Poe's help. It took quite a bit for him to get drunk, too. After she was sure everyone was alright, she began the walk to her own room, taking her time as she did.

As Lucy went on her way back to her tent she would get whistled at, Kael sitting by himself by the dying fire. The man waving at Lucy to come join him, what looked like two more mugs on the table with him. Though when Lucy would come over she would find they had water in them, not ale. “You know, I have been thinking...” Karl started the conversation, looking at Lucy with a smile as he spoke. “We really aren't thieves anymore, and with our group growing more and more I don't think Lion's Brigand is an appropriate name for us. How about the Legion of Lions?” Karl asked, honestly wanting Lucy's opinion. Off in the distance Poe would put the last soldier into their tent before making his way across the camp grounds, waving good night to Lucy and Karl before he would pass out as well. The group had been partying for quite some time, the sun probably rising in a few hours.

Durihan had made his way back up to the same spot on the castle wall, sword hugged close to his shoulder as he looked back out at the battlefield. The enemy forces had left, giving up on this campaign after such a devastating attack. But this time Durihan only smirked when he sat there, he seemed to be wanted here. Soldiers in arms laughing with him, drinking with him. It was something he had never experienced before. Thoughts trailed to his childhood, the mercenaries that he had grown up with... Durihan was quick to hold his sword that much closer to him, banishing what memories he had back to the edges of his mind. He would give the Lions a shot, at least long enough till he could defeat Kael.

The next morning Jaren would wake up with a huge head ache, stepping out of his tent with a yawn as he looked up at the rising sun. Seeing Durihan in the same spot on the wall he would blink a few times before heading up there. “Do you ever sleep?” Jaren asked, jumping up on the side of the wall next to Durihan. “Sometimes.” Durihan stated, smirking as he looked to Jaren. “I got to say you guys definitely are a strange group of mercenaries.” Durihan stated, only to have Jaren laugh and nod.

“Yeah, all sorts of people with all sorts of backgrounds. Kael sure knows how to pick them doesn't he? And now we got a freak like you with a giant sword.” Jaren added, snickering as they sat together. “But if you think about it, we really aren't that good on our own. We have our flaws, we fail.” Jaren said, looking off into the distance as he spoke. Durihan raised an eyebrow when he heard that. Lucy was saying something similar to that. That she lost sometimes too. “But even when we fail, even when our flaws show, there are others by our sides to protect us and help us get back up. In the end we are able to laugh and cry even if our brothers have died. It's who we are.”

Durihan looked to the man, “And what kind of person is Kael?” He asked, Jaren blinking a few times before answering. “Well I don't know.”

Durihan looked at Jaren like he was an idiot. “You joined a group who is led by a man you don't even know?” Durihan spat out, Jaren raising his hands to try and stop Durihan. “Hold up hold up, hear me out. It's complicated, just when you get the impression that he understand everything, he suddenly looks like a child. Just when you get that chilly glare that he is peering into your soul, he will suddenly start laughing like a kid. Is he a child? An adult? A good guy? Pure evil... You just can't really know what he is. He ponders and naturally does things that we mere mercenaries only hear of while we are bull shitting. I don't know how to explain it, it is not just how he wields the sword or plans out battles... I think Kael just has something that we common people don't. Some kind of Confidence that we may never have in our entire lives.”

“Confidence with what?” Durihan asked, looking at Jaren calmly as if he was trying to understand. “Well with everything.” Jaren replied, looking up at the sky then with a smile. “Hey Durihan! Boss wants you!” Someone shouted from down the castle wall. Durihan getting off the wall before he started to leave. “See you around Jaren.” Durihan said, waving the man off. “Durihan! Don't worry, you will find your place among the Lions.” Jaren said, waving good bye as he kept with sitting on the castle wall.

Kael had been sitting near the well in this castle, looking at what looked like a necklace. Durihan walking up to him, looking at the necklace as well. “What's that?” Durihan asked, Kael looking up to Durihan then with a smile. “Oh this? I bought it from a gypsy woman when I was a younger. She said it is one of the most powerful things on this planet. The seal of the Immortal Gods.” Kael said, showing the little medallion that was hanging from the end of the necklace. “In exchange for ones flesh and blood, the world will bow.” Kael stated, reciting what the gypsy had told him long ago. “Sure it isn't real but that sounded cool didn't it?” Kael asked, smirking as he put the necklace back around his neck.

“Why didn't you let me die yesterday? Your plan was achieved, you didn't have to risk your life and others for me.” Durihan stated, wanting to get right to the point instead of beating around the bush. “Well Durihan, I didn't want to lose something so special in such a petty fight.” Kael stated simply, like being asked such a question was a toll on Kael's time. “Not just you but Lucy, Poe, Jaren, Garland, even Biso are dear to me and I wouldn't let any of them die till it was worth it.” Kael stated, smiling as he looked away. “Durihan, join me. This was nothing more then another step. The Lion Soldiers, our continued victories on the battlefield, they are just the beginning. Things will get interesting after these fights, so interesting that it will truly be worth risking our lives...” There was a sparkle in Kael's eyes as he spoke, smirking then as he looked back to Durihan. “I will take hold of my own country. Fight on my behalf. From now on you belong to me. I will be the one who will decide your place of death.” Kael said, his cold stare back.

Durihan would leave that conversation with much on his mind. His own country? As if! What kind of fool was Kael? He was no aristocrat, no royal... Hell he wasn't even a knight! How could he dream like that? At best he could be a commanding officer of no more then five hundred men... He was only one man. And yet he believed he was so much more. He wasn't that much younger then Durihan was... How could he say those things with such confidence? Durihan started to think about what he had done over the past four years... simply traveling from battle to battle, just killing his opponents to prolong his life. He had no dream, no goal. Why was Durihan so heated at this moment? As if empowered by Kael's dream. Durihan smirked, for now he would help Kael with his goal. As long as he could swing his sword he would swing it with a purpose, Kael's purpose.

A year would pass and The Legion of Lions would be known through out the lands. It was now Kael's chance to advance his plans and join with the King's army. Which brought the Legion of Lions to province of Galrin. Galrin had been a place of strife for the last three years. It was in Galrin that the King's forces and his brother's forces had met in a stalemate. With only two more provinces till the enemy army could assault the kingdom's capital, it was here where a proper defense was crucial. However the enemy were starting to advance.

Much like the Legion of Lions, other mercenary groups had risen to fame and joined sides.. And one such group was wrecking havoc on the king's soldiers. The Black Irons mercenary band had one of the greatest cavalier units known to the lands, and at the moment they were trampling the first few units at the King's disposal. The king watching over the fight only looking away in shame as his advisers and scouts stood beside him. “What are my generals doing!?” The King shouted out in frustration. “I don't care who, is there no warriors that can fend off these demons my brother has recruited?!” The King shouted once more. As if to answer his wishes a single soldier sat on top of his horse, the unit of on coming calvary charging for him. Durihan sat there, his sword extended as he charged against the thirty men. In shock the men pulled up on their horses once Durihan had taken out the leader in one swing. Durihan charging into the middle of the group, slashing and beheading anyone within reach of his blade. Charging straight through the group Durihan had divided the unit into two halves. “Don't disrupt the formation!!” someone shouted, but as he did this the rest of the Lions would charge in after Durihan. They had effectively split the group in two and annihilated them on the battle field. Kael leading the assault on one half while Lucy led the assault on the other.

“Who are these mercenaries?” The King would ask, watching as the Lions got back into formation behind Kael. “The Legion of Lions. New recruits led by Kael Lionheart.” an adviser stated, the King stroking his chin as he continued to watch. “I hope my generals will take this opportunity to actually advance for once.” The King said in disgust, the advisers quick to spread the word. Because of what Kael had done with his men the King's army was actually able to take Galrin, forcing his brother's army to retreat to the next province. Something that hadn't been done in three years.

Much had happened over the year the Lions had gone through. Most importantly their number had tripled. This required there to be actual commanders to relay orders and lead. So Lucy, Jaren, Poe, Biso, and Durihan were now full fledged Commanders in Kael's army. But of course such titles brought with them responsibilities, once that Durihan never quite liked. Back in the capital everyone was a blaze in celebration. Three years and finally Galrin had been recaptured. More then likely there would be a celebration by the King himself. The Lions actually getting an invitation. Of course it was only for Kael and his commanders, but still, that meant they were moving up in the world. The Lions had even been given a barracks in the capital's walls to call their own.

“Durihan that was amazing! You took that group head on!” Some of the soldiers stated, Durihan only smirking as he entered the barrack. Sure it was a good move, but those weren't the orders that Durihan was given. Kael had told Durihan to lead a unit around to the other side of the enemies forces, the original plan was to encircle the advancing enemy, not split them up and conquer. And if anyone had anything to say about not following orders... It would be Lucy. Ever since they had become Commanders Durihan and Lucy had began to bicker more and more. Mostly due to the fact that Durihan would constantly go above Kael's orders or just ignore them in favor of a more brutal attack... Which did work out, though most of the time it caused injury and deaths to the men Durihan was in charge of. But he had interrupted the enemy right?

Lucy wasn't sure what Kael wanted when he called her over. It was pretty rare for them to spend time alone like that these days. Still, she drank water with him, smiling at the topic of conversation. "I like it. It has a nice ring to it," she said. "Legion of Lions...yeah. It's very nice." She smiled at him and waved at Poe before he went to bed. Lucy stayed up with Kael for awhile longer, talking about all kinds of things before she excused herself. The next day she was right as rain while others were dealing with massive hangovers.

A year passed with Kael in command and Durihan as a new soldier. In a year's time, the woman had only become a better swordsman, and more beautiful than she had been before. She was responsible for attracting most of the female recruits they got, and was mostly responsible for their training. She was merciless, and she often wished she could be more gentle with them. The reality was, however, that they would see far worse than Lucy in their time as a member of the Legion. Some quit after finding those realities. Some became excellent soldiers, some became healers. At least Jaren couldn't complain about playing doctor anymore.

Everyone seemed to have adjusted well to the rapid growth in numbers and new responsibilities...except for Durihan. She had understood his way of thinking and acting upon joining the Legion. Now, however, she failed to see his side of things more and more often. He took unnecessary risks, even if he got results. He lost more men in battle than any other general, and he ignored Kael's orders in favor of his own strategies--strategies which often required more work from his comrades in arms. It was getting really old. And today's stunt was really pushing her toward the edge. He still seemed to think the same way as he had when he'd joined them. And it was becoming a point of contention very quickly indeed.

Today's attack had been brutal and tiring, moreso than it really needed to be in her opinion. Kael's original strategy would have scattered the troops as well, and probably resulted in fewer deaths in the company. She was pissed. Not that she could argue with the victory--just the means to the end. Doing herself and Durihan a favor, she stayed away from him tonight as they partied. She stuck with Garland tonight, in favor of his leveling company. Besides, the attractive ex-lord had gained quite a following with her female recruits. She felt a little responsible for making sure he wasn't simply jumped on the way back to his tent.

Kael would call Lucy, Jaren, Poe, Biso, Garland, and Durihan to his room. Once everyone showed up he would smile, “We have been invited to the King's celebration.” Kael said, holding up an invitation. Jaren and Garland smiled brightly, not believing such a thing. Poe simply nodded his head, not quite sure what made this celebration any different from their own. Biso's eyes almost shined over with gold, this was his chance to meet a few noble women that could use a strong soldier like Biso to help them with their troubles! Durihan wasn't quite sure what to make of this, but Kael sure did. “Come on then we are to be groomed and dressed accordingly.” Kael said, a childish smile on his face as he left with his commanders. There were carriages waiting outside the Lion's barrack, Kael helping Lucy up into the carriage before being followed by Garland. Poe, Biso, Jaren, and Durihan would cram into the second carriage.

They would get to take a tour around the capital, Garland actually having quite the knowledge of this place telling Lucy all about the different churches and buildings. Kael had actually grown up around here so he only smiled and nodded. Once at the castle however they were quickly taken away. Lucy separated from the group of men to her own room while the boys were sent to their own. Once inside servants were quick to get rid of the shabby and dirty cloths the men had on. Ushered to the bathing room Kael had started a splash fight that Poe would dominate in the end. Somehow once they were cleaned they would enter the room again and get fitted for clothing. Sitting around in towels they laughed and joked about what was to happen. Lucy got the pampering of her life, a warm bath that was scented, personal maidens to brush and curl her hair. She too was fitted, a dress being made. The Lions would wait for the better of thirty minutes, their clothing coming straight from the King's seamstresses themselves.

What resulted would make Durihan hang his head in shame. Kael was dressed in a rather fine white outfit, tassels and the like of gold giving him the regal look that his face naturally carried. Garland got a royal purple outfit fitted with his own feathered cape and even a small cape. Jaren and Biso were given dark green long sleeve shirts and black pants, embroidered into their shirts were rather fascinating designs of the King's royal crest. Poe got a rather different yellowish color cloak since the seamstresses didn't have the time to make clothing for a man so big. But they put something together underneath so Poe would be presentable. Poe even given a small hat to cover his shiny dome. Durihan on other other hand got a set of black clothing, much to fit his usual attire. Though the material like much of the others was made of silk. It felt good to the touch. Long sleeve shirt and pants with anew pair of shinny boots. But before the group would enter the grand hall, Lucy would have to join them. The six men turning once the nearby door would open and Lucy would come in. And needless to say, almost every guys jaw dropped when she walked in.

Lucy smiled when she found out they were going to be celebrating with the king. It wasn't every day a girl got invited to dine with the leader of a country. More than that, she was looking forward to the pampering she'd be getting. She didn't need constant pampering, but roughing it so often only made her appreciate things like baths even more when she got them. As Garland gave her the tour of the area, Lucy smiled and watched the scenery. It was good to know about where she was and what she'd been protecting. And it was a rare treat to be able to learn this way. When they arrived at the castle, she was separated from the rest of the group by a pair of ladies in waiting and waved at the men as they were carted off as well.

She got to choose the scents in her bath, and decided a mixture of roses and peony would be delightful. The soap had a little bit of honey mixed it, and she was taken care of quite well. She smelled wonderful by the time she was out of the bath and her dress arrived, measurements having been taken before. She let them dress her in the gown she was sure she'd never wear again, despite its beauty. She let them fuss over her hair, only making minor adjustments as they combed, curled, and pinned. Just the slightest touch of makeup and she was ready. She put on a pair of comfy slippers as well and came out of a nearby door.

Her curvy frame was wrapped in a lovely purple gown made of a very soft, but shimmery material. She smiled at the men and bowed her head gracefully with a little curtsy as she made her way over. They'd pinned a few sections of her coppery hair back with jeweled hair pins, leaving the rest down in subtle waves. Her bangs were swept to the side and she'd been given some simple jewelry to wear as well. It was probably the nicest she'd ever looked. Still, as the men stared at her like that, she felt a little silly. "Well, don't you all look nice," she said, with a little smile. Anything to get the attention off of her.

Kael was the first one to respond, smiling as he walked over and offered his arm to Lucy. “Shall we?” He asked, and once she would grab onto his arm he would walk with her into the main hall, the other Lions following them. And what was in store for them was something they probably only dreamed of. Feasts at every table, gold and decorations that only a King could afford. Women and men dressed in their finest socializing and dancing. It was much more refined then anything the Lions did.

Within moments of Kael entering the room did the group pretty much get swarmed with attention. Young noble women swooning on Kael's every word, older men asking where he was from and what bloodline he claimed. When Kael claimed no blood line there was quite the ruffled whispers among the crowd, yet Kael was a dashing up and coming commander. Unfortunately for his friends they would pretty much be blocked off from Kael at this party. Biso already was lying up a storm about his valiant battles to a few not so bright women, Poe and Jaren already hitting the tables for food and drink.

Garland on the other hand found it fitting to stay with Lucy, a smile on his face as he looked around. “I must say this is quite the get together. I can't quite place it but there are a number of rather influential generals and nobles here. They usually don't show up together like this unless there is going to be a knighting.” Garland would tell Lucy, soon to turn to Lucy then with a smile. “I must say you are quite ravishing tonight my dear. Would you care to dance?” Garland asked, looking to the dance floor that others were dancing on.

Durihan however found himself standing near a wall, staring out at Lucy and Kael as the two seemed to gravitate so quickly to the situation. Any women or men that came his way would be met with a a cold glare and literally a “Fuck off.” Durihan definitely was out of his element. Aiming to leave as soon as he could.

Lucy smiled and slipped her arm through his when he offered it. It was interesting for the two of them to enter together into this new, glamorous world. Though Lucy felt a touch out of place, she adapted quite well. Though Lucy hadn't been approached about her position in the legion, she didn't mind. It was nice to just be a pretty woman at a lavish party instead of having to defend herself from jokes about her body. While Kael was pretty well surrounded and separate from the rest of his generals, she thought he looked right at home amidst the nobles that crowded him. She smiled and found Garland nearby.

The two of them stuck together, as they looked around the room. "It's something, isn't it? When I started off with Kael, I never imagined I'd be in a place like this. But I suppose you've been to parties like this before, right?" His comment about the knighting made her wonder if perhaps Kael would have the honor before the evening was finished. She turned her attention to Garland entirely as he complimented her. "Thank you, Garland. You look quite dashing yourself. I would love to dance with you," she said, taking his hand in hers.

She glanced around the room, seeing Poe and Jaren sitting and eating with much better table manners than usual. It made her smile to know that the two of them could have fun and still be civilized. They both looked handsome as well, and were quickly accumulating a number of fascinated ladies between the two of them. Finally, her eyes met Durihan's and she smiled softly before turning her attention back to her dance partner, letting him lead her to the floor.

They would only be able to dance for a few minutes before someone would come up before the King's throne to address the party. “Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to present His Majesty William Velsted the Third.” Everyone had stopped moving and chatting once the man started to speak, the masses of people quick to get down on one knee as The King entered the main hall. “Please rise... We have much to celebrate.” The King said with a smile, wearing only the finest silks in all the land. A very regal combination of purple and crimson. The Queen was with him, wearing similar colors only in dress form of course with her hair done up wonderfully. Jewels large small decorating her body as she walked with the King to their thrones.

“As you all know after three years we have been able to push back our enemy and recapture Galrin. A feat I only assumed that my most trusted Generals could of achieved.” The King said in jest, everyone laughing of course even the General who were rolling their eyes inside. “However in our time of need there was a ray of hope, a man fulfilling his duty as a citizen of our fine Kingdom. Kael Lionheart of the Legion of Lions, approach my throne.” The King would say above the crowds, Kael only smiling as he made his way by people. Once Kael had come up to the throne he would quickly kneel before the King, keeping his eyes to the ground.

The King would look to one of his servants who would bring over his sword, The King pulling it from it's sheath before bringing it lightly down onto Kael's shoulders. “With these witnesses and my decree as King, I knight you Kael Lionheart. May you rise as this kingdoms sword and shield to join the other knights in our battles to come.” The King stated, and Kael would rise. People cheering loudly and clapping for Kael's achievement. Of course there were those that weren't so thrilled. It had been forty years since the last commoner had been given the title of Knighthood... More uncommon blood seemed to spill into the Royal courts each day. However this was a feast and celebration... And if Kael thought he had been swarmed before, once he was knighted every woman wanted a dance, every military man wanted to swap stories, and every old noble and politician wanted to put in their two cents of wisdom.

Durihan would be no where to be found, in fact actually ducking out once the King had called Kael up to be knighted. That was just talk, a way for these men and women who didn't even know the horrors of war to feel good about sending men to their deaths. Durihan going back to the barrack to retrieve a few things. Slipping and slipping out without a trace he would take his sword with him, forgetting to change out of the fancy clothing he had been given. There were woods inside the castle walls, mostly a request form the Queen to have some trees near the castle. It was there that there was a clearing, and if you looked hard enough you could see it clearly from the castle. Durihan going there, throwing his shoes off, taking his shirt off as well.. The man kept his two handed sword in one hand, raising it above his head before swinging down. “One... Two... Three.” Durihan started to count. In a weeks time they would all be back on the battle field, this was no time for celebration.

Unfortunately for Lucy Garland would be caught up as well, every member of the Lions surrounded and inspected. There were of course those few noble women that looked at Lucy with spite, how the woman had muscle in places she shouldn't have it, commenting on the barbaric woman. Then of course Lucy would be glorified by the women that saw her as an idol. Fighting with the men, Lucy was quite the conversation topic among the ladies here. And even as Lucy tried to converse she would be bombarded by men asking her to dance or if she wanted to go on a stroll with them. It was almost getting to the point where it would be overwhelming.

After the knighting, all hell broke loose. There seemed to be some sort of unspoken signal amongst the gentry to latch on to all the generals of Kael's army, including the newly-knighted commander. Lucy desperately wished that Garland was still with her. He knew how to handle people like this. He was much better in high-pressure social situations like this than she was. All the attention was becoming a bit much for her, but she did her best to deal with it. After all, there was no point in letting them run her off. They were nothing to her, really. Nothing more than people to be defended. Whether or not they were grateful for what she did was really none of her business. Let them think what they wanted, she thought. After all, she was quite sure that many of the women here thought she was barbaric. Perhaps they were right. But she'd loved to have see how they would have lived her life any differently. Foolish little twigs of women.

When she caught her thoughts slipping into the petty ground the other women were on, she forced herself to forget about them. Instead, she focused on the women who admired her strength and courage. There were even some who admired her beauty, openly sharing their surprise at how lovely she was despite her being a warrior. She shared stories with those who wished to hear her and smiled politely when it was called for. Thankfully, she did much of the talking herself, rather than having to try and keep up with topics she was unfamiliar with. When she needed a break, she gave a dance to one of the men who clambered over to ask her for one.

Unfortunately, she reached her breaking point after a bit and excused herself to find something to eat. She created a small plate for herself and managed to duck out of the decidedly crowded room to get some fresh air and eat in peace. The redhead had managed to sneak onto a balcony overlooking the grounds. She tucked into the plate while still managing to look dignified and well-mannered. Her goal was to finish the food she'd taken and stay out here for another few moments to clear her head and gather herself once more. Taking in the fresh night air, she managed to catch sight of Durihan in a clearing below. He'd shed most everything but his pants and was training with his sword.

Despite their disagreements, she had to admire his dedication to training...even if he hadn't improved his technique all that much since he'd joined. But to each his own style of combat, she supposed. She also couldn't blame him for ducking out of tonight's celebration, especially considering how uncomfortable he'd looked earlier on in the evening. She was still a little upset with him for today, but it seemed silly to call him out on it tonight. With a sigh, she finished her plate of food and left the tray were it was, sneaking back into the party with grace. She stood back for a moment and then headed back into the thick of things, wishing that people would just back off a little bit. She also wished that one of her friends would find her so that she didn't need to talk to so many people on her own. Oh well, she thought. If Kael was going to be here at events like this more often, then she supposed she had better get used to it.

The party would go well into the night, by the end of it Jaren and Biso were completely drunk and passed out. Poe had each of the men slung over his shoulders, holding them like barrels as he smiled with red tints to his face. The evening was quite amazing. Never had commoners like them been at such a feast like this, and the celebration of Kael's knighting only beckoned more rejoicing. Unfortunately not a single one of Kael's friends would be able to get to him through out the knight, the man much to busy making face and juggling people left and right to learn names and titles. Truth be told Kael was quickly mapping out the people that talked to him, who could be trusted, who couldn't. It was quite the fun game for Kael, one of course he would draw upon in his future now as a Knight. Of all the people to be excited over this Kael should have been the most, yet the man stayed calm and collected, as if he had come to this party already knowing that he would be knighted. Poe would leave with Jaren and Biso, all that was left was Kael, Lucy, and Garland.

Garland had had his fair share of political hob nobbing and dancing, carrying around a glass of wine with him. The man did enjoy these social get togethers, and when he was able to locate Lucy he was more then happy to stick to her. Garland having a blast pointing random nobles out to Lucy, telling her who controlled what or who was bribing who. Because regardless of why the royals and nobles were partying, this was just an excuse to do business. As the party started to die down Garland would be outside with Lucy, just enjoying the night's fresh air and another glass of wine. “I must say for your first formal party you present yourself nicely, almost like a woman.” Garland would say, snickering a little as he leaned against the stone railing. The man was a little drunk, a soft tinge of red across his cheeks. “But can you believe this? Kael has been knighted.. A commoner hasn't been knighted in more then twenty or so years. This is quite the event if I say so myself...” Garland said, looking out at the distance to find a clearing where Durihan was still swinging away in training.

“Unfortunately this only brings more problems to the table for us Lions.... Before we just had to worry about enemies on the battlefield.. But not that Kael has crossed into politics I am sure there will be a number of internal enemies that will make themselves known.. I can only imagine how a number of the King's Generals must feel about an impure bloodline starting to enter the King's court.” Garland said, he even having a frown on his face. “Well, I hope you are ready to see less and less of Kael. I can only imagine the amount of studying and social gathers that he is going to have to do in order to establish himself... My goodness has Durihan been at that since Kael got knighted?” Garland would ask, as if a switch went off in his head and his topic of choice went from Kael to Durihan. “I wonder what fuels that man to keep pushing like that. It's like he never shuts off, always training for the next battle. I would respect him if he didn't go against Kael's orders half the time. I tried scolding him about it but it seems like he only bickers with you.” Garland added, laughing as he finished his glass of wine.

Lucy was damn near exhausted by the end of the night. She was tired of talking to people who didn't see her as a person. She was tired of turning down men for dances who were clearly only interested in her for one thing. Garland was the only salvation she had, and she'd clung to him like a life-line. At least he didn't appear to mind it. And it was fun to let him gossip--clearly in his own element. If she'd been smart, though, she would have gotten drunk like Jaren and Biso so she could have excused herself. Or maybe Durihan had the right idea...but then it seemed like more people missed her than they did Durihan. Perhaps it was because she was basically a novelty. A fun topic to be discussed instead of an individual to be respected. But that wasn't really being fair to the nobles at the party. Not all of them were like that.

Garland hadn't been, after all. She could tell he was a little drunk, but she didn't mind keeping him steady for awhile. Once in awhile, Lucy caught a few glances of Kael. He seemed so at home here. The distance between the two of them just kept growing. First it had been in skill and ability, then in maturity and understanding...and now it came in the form of class. It was getting harder and harder to be close to him in any sense. She was his friend, but how long would that tie last in the face of others? She shook off that rather morbid train of thought and kept her time occupied with Garland.

When the party was dying down, the two of them made an escape to the balcony to enjoy the night air. She had a glass of wine herself, and found herself wishing she had a lower tolerance for it. As he snickered at her, she gave him a playful slap to the back of his head. "And here I was thinking you were a gentleman," she said, shaking her head in mock disgust. "It's a big step for Kael in the direction he always wanted to go. I'm happy for him," she said with a smile. And she was happy. He was finally getting what he wanted and believed he deserved. She was all too happy to lend him her sword in the process.

The notion of more problems brought a shrug from her. "We'll just have to adjust. I guess we'll be needing your expertise in the area of politics more often now. I doubt Kael will have much trouble. It'll be the rest of us who need to deal with the threats." She frowned and finished off her wine setting the glass down as she stretched. The conversation took a down turn as he spoke what she'd been thinking mere moments ago. But then it picked up with Durihan.

"Yes. Since a little before the knighting I think. I snuck out here earlier after we got separated and he was already there." She shrugged and watched as he kept swinging that sword of his. It was almost symbolic of the type of man he was: relentless. He was reckless and infuriating at times, but he got results because he never seemed to stop. Sighing she shook her head. "Honestly, I don't know why I bother, myself. It's not as though he ever listens to me. Or anyone else for that matter. Sometimes I wonder why Kael wants him here, but then I remind myself of what he's capable of doing. But talking to Durihan about it? It's like trying to reason with a mule."

Here she watched Garland for a moment. "Do you miss this world?" she asked. "The parties and politics? Or would you rather be out in the field with the rest of us?" she asked, curious to know what he thought. He'd be more inclined to be honest as the happy drunk he was.

Back
Top Bottom