Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Aspirations (Candira x Shake)

Shake

Moon
What a day it was to be alive, the sky up above was the brightest of blues, the hills down below a luscious green, the air so fresh and filled with spring that it would make the gnarliest of men smile. It was on this day in the plains surrounding the village of Thul, that Kael found himself laying down on one of the many grassy hills. The man looking at the blue sky up above while he enjoyed his peaceful morning. In nothing more then a long sleeved blue shirt and white pants he could feel the soft grass beneath his feet. It was only two hours after the sun had rose over the horizon and Kael had been there the whole time, his tent maybe fifty or so feet on the other side of the hill with the other Lion's tents. But Kael was here to do more then appreciate the morning, his mind was wondering, recalling the events from a few days before.

It was a simple assignment, a noble was fighting a losing battle. In a desperate plea he hired the Lion Brigand to bolster his castle's defenses and evacuate the villagers and citizens that had taken shelter inside of it's walls. This was no easy ordeal seeing how the enemy forces had been trying to siege the castle for three days, but somehow Kael had gotten his men into the castle. The means for his entry would be the means for everyone's escape, there being a well in the back of the castle grounds that ran straight down into an underground cavern of water. For the last two days the Lions had dug and set up ladders for people to easily escape with. And so through the well people started to escape.

However there was still the issue of the defenses, and unfortunately the enemy had breached the gates half way through the evacuation. So the Lions would fight with the Nobles soldiers to repel the enemy, and surprisingly they did, actually pushing their forces back outside the gates to keep the battle from swarming in. What Kael kept revisiting though was a single soldier that fought at the front lines, a man wielding a two handed long sword. At first he meant nothing, but when he started to cut down soldier after soldier one after the other, this mercenary started to become very interesting.

There was a Lion that went by the name Baozu, a large man who swung a two handed axe with such strength that he beheaded men on the battlefield. He was new to the Lions and definitely showed signs of being an ex-raider. But he had his uses, and standing in front of the gates he laughed at the enemies attempts at entering. “COME ON THEN!? WHO THINK'S THEY CAN TAKE ON THE FIFTY MAN KILLER BAOZU!?!?” Baozu shouted through his metal grated helmet, turning and cleaving a man in the stomach. The mercenary that caught Kael's eye would step up and start to swing, matching Baozu's strength swing for swing. Their weapons clashing, Baozu starting to lose sight of the man's sword as he swung harder and faster. And with a sudden move the man swung hard, his sword cracking Baozu's axe blade. The man pulled back, only to pivot and swing again right for Baozu's head. The time it took for the mercenary to pivot gave Baozu the chance he needed and he quickly swung, bringing the axe against the man's helmet. However the axe head would break apart, knocking the mercenary's helmet off, even drawing a little blood. Unfortunately for Baozu he would meet the mercenary's sword with the side of his head. After Baozu was slain the tide of battle quickly shifted and the enemy started to storm the castle again. Kael had seen enough and ordered a full retreat, their objective met by evacuating everyone.

That mercenary still intrigued Kael, to see a man so recklessly risk his life for the killing blow... Was it luck that Baozu's axe broke? Or did this man plan it out or react to the weapon? How could he, there was no more then four seconds from the strike to the finishing blow. A man that would gambles with his life like that truly held interest in Kael's eyes. Kael smirking and wondered if they would cross paths again, if they would cross swords.

Back at camp soldiers were starting to wake up, the smell of breakfast lofting around the tents. Another heaping serving of porridge, bread, and some pig for the mighty Lions! Poe of course was the first one in line, standing there in nothing but his underwear complete with his very one extra large bowl. The man could be asleep standing there waiting for food, but one thing was for sure and that was that he would be the first to eat. Garland was up, looking over a map of the surrounding areas in the “planning” tent which was in fact his own tent and Kael was no where to be found again. Jaren and Biso more then likely still snoozing the day away.

Lucy had been up for some time. She'd seen to it that breakfast was started and extra provisions were provided to account for Poe's sake. Someone had to take care of them all. Kael was nowhere to be found, she sighed, figuring she should find him soon, too. It had been a long battle and by all rights she should be sleeping like Jaren or Biso. But she hadn't been able to stay asleep. She was dragging a bit, but that was alright. Her face was washed, her hair was combed, but loose today, the coppery locks shining in the sun. She wore a long, blue skirt with slits in the side to her knees to help her move. She had a pretty white blouse beneath it with a corset tying it all together. It was an out-of-character outfit for her, but she'd wanted comfortable clothes on her day off. She wore soft brown boots that came to her knees today. Ultimately, she was far more feminine than usual. Anyone who gave her lip for it would get a fat one in return.

She smiled at Poe as she passed him, waiting for his food. "Good morning," she said with a chuckle. She checked in on Jaren and Biso, deciding to let them sleep for today. They'd put in a long, hard couple of days. She would wake them up once breakfast was finished. She peaked in at Garland and offered him a greeting. "Hey, there. I'm going to go look for Kael. He doesn't seem to be around. Make sure Jaren and Biso don't sleep through breakfast, okay?" She smiled at him and then left him to the map. She headed out of camp, using her tracking skills to help her find him.

As she walked along on the sunny day, Lucy felt a little more grateful than usual that they'd all come out of this alive. It had looked pretty bad for awhile. Especially when the enemy had broken in during the evacuation. But today was beautiful and sunny and the world seemed fresh and new. She hummed a little to herself, finding the sound of her mother's favorite song to be comforting. It was slow and simple, but it was sweet as well. Thinking about her mother brought her thoughts back to the day she'd had to leave her family.

That day had been awful. It was full of some of the worst memories she'd had. Nearly raped--very nearly killed--she'd been rescued by her current commander. And thoughts came back full circle to him. On that day, he hadn't done so much as thrown her a weapon with which to defend herself. It had all happened so fast. Whether she'd intended to kill the lord or not, she'd done just that. Since then, she'd been with Kael and had never looked back. Well, at the very least, she'd never questioned her decision to travel with him. In the six years they'd known each other, he'd taught her how to defend herself, how to attack, how to analyze a situation and read people. She'd mastered many different sword techniques and was never without some kind of blade--even now she had a few hidden on her person.

She had come to trust in Kael and enjoy his company. It annoyed her when he wandered off like this because she was actually worried about him. Why, however, was a mystery because he could damn well take care of himself. Oh well. Finally, she came across him and smiled, shaking her head. He looked like a boy more than a man as he lay there, staring up at the sky.

"Well, good morning commander," she said, coming upon him. She'd learned awhile ago not to sneak up on him. "I wondered where I'd find you. If you stay out here much longer you'll miss your gruel," she joked.

When Lucy passed Poe, the man would smile in her direction waving but never moving from the front of the line. Others had begun to get up and form in line, all standing behind Poe of course. There was one time someone tried to strong arm Poe for his spot in the front and needless to say he almost lost that arm. Garland was busy with his own thoughts, not even looking up to Lucy when she had check in on him. She said something about Jaren and Biso and all Garland could say was a simple, “Sure... Breakfast... Got it.” But Lucy knew that Garland heard what she said.

Once Lucy found Kael, the man would tilt his head back so he could look at her upside down, a big smile forming across his face now that he had been found. “Good morning to you too Lucy.” He said, patting the spot next to him on the hill intending for the woman to lay down next to him. “Oh joy I get to miss out on gruel? There is no enemy more fearsome then the gruel Schmidt cooks up for us in the morning.” Kael stated, a shiver running down his spine then and there. “So what brings you to my personal little hill this fine morning?” Kael asked, looking back up at the sky as his arms crossed behind his head acting more as something to rest against.

As the two of them laid together on the hill the sounds of the other soldiers could be heard. Horses being untied and rode for their morning runs, men starting to repair their gear. Laughter and cursing as other sparred one another. Once Garland was finished planning out an appropriate route the Lions would be on the move again, it was nice to see everyone enjoying themselves with this sort of day of rest.

"Is there a better place for me to be?" she asked, sitting down beside him. She looked up at the sky and then fell back, enjoying the moment. "Mmm, you know, Captain, if you keep disappearing like this, one of these days we're going to leave you behind," she teased, staring up at the clouds. She smiled softly, enjoying the ease between the two of them. Of all the people in her life, Kael was easily the closest to her. "It's silly to worry about you, I know, but sometimes I can't help it." She looked over at him and wondered what he was hoping to do next. They would be on the road again soon. A day of rest like this was pretty rare for them--protectors of the realm. She smiled at the idea and wondered if Kael fancied himself a king after all. He certainly cared enough for the people in his domain.

"I was just thinking. We've come a long way since we met. I never would have dreamed of becoming what I am today if it hadn't been for you. It's funny to look back at who I used to be and then see me now. So different. I wonder how I'll look to myself in six more years..." She shrugged and let her eyes close for the time being. Long thoughts. Maybe she should get rid of some of those.

"Anyway, it seemed too nice outside to stay in a tent and sleep through it."

Kael smirked when she was commented on a better place to be then here, the man nodding his head as he agreed with her statement. Well, maybe there were a few places better to be then a random grassy hill. The thought of the castle coming to Kael's mind for only the briefest of moments before Lucy continued on. Kael turning his head to look at Lucy as she brought up his “disappearances”. The woman knew him oh to well and all he could do was smile to hear her concerns.

“You worry about me? Yeah right, I bet you want everyone to forget me somewhere so you can be the commander don't you Lucy?” Kael joked, laughing as he looked back up at the sky. Their conversation seemed to jump to thoughts of time, Lucy recalling herself six years before. Kael's fun and childish look faded then as he thought about what she said. Six years ago, twelve, eighteen. None of it mattered to Kael. The only thing that mattered, the only time he would even judge his life to be worth anything was once his goal was achieved... Once his dream was a reality. Then he would start to look back at his success. And back on the topic of his success his mind would wander, plan and scheme how he could get what he wanted. To think his goals would be that much more easier to achieve if he had a soldier like the one he encountered the day before...

Be it by chance or just a bizarre twist of fate the same mercenary that they had fought against the day before was making his way through the grassy fields. Two handed sword on his back, helmet tied to the man's belt, with nothing more then a cloak on to cover his armored body the mercenary that had taken down Baozu was walking by himself towards Thul. At first he was nothing more then a dot in the fields, but as he came closer his details started to define until Kael was able to determine that this was the same man. But before either Kael or Lucy could say or do anything, they would see a few of the Lion's on horse back. “That's the guy! I am telling you that's the one that killed Baozu!” One of the soldiers shouted on horseback as they passed Kael and Lucy, no doubt a scout that had come back to camp to warn a few guys. From how the soldiers had some armor on and weapons in hands, it was obvious that they meant to seek some revenge for their fallen brother. Kael propped himself up on his elbows, looking down as the mercenary was

Surrounded by five men on horses... One of which was Biso. When did he get up. When Kael saw that Biso was a part of the group he would look to Lucy. “You should probably get down there and stop them from getting themselves killed.” Kael told her, the mercenary that was surrounded pulled his sword off of his back.. Holding it in front of him as the soldiers got off of their horses.

“Well look what we got here boys!” Biso said, confident as ever with his brothers in arms around. “This fuck thinks he is pretty bad shit since he took Baozu on. Got a lucky blow in a tell you, he might look tough but I bet he is nothing more then a piece of shit!” Biso stated, the other four soldiers laughing as they stood with weapons at the ready. “Well, let's avenge Baozu yadda yadda.” Biso added, his interest much more on loot that this guy might have. A number of member's of the Lion Brigand were full blown thieves and raiders, still used to being a band of thieves then an organized mercenary group. Of course those individuals sworn an oath to never pillage again from defenseless villagers and the like, so when they came across soldiers and enemy mercenaries... well old habits die hard. But it seemed the dieing part wasn't so hard at the moment.

Biso watch in horror as one after the other his fellow soldiers were cut down. The speed and strength that this man swung his sword with was almost unreal, four bloodied bodies laying on the ground now. All that was left was Biso and the mercenary, and the mercenary charged. Sword over head he had all intentions of closing the distance before cutting Biso straight down the middle.

Lucy shook her head at her commander. He was always saying things like that--teasing her. She didn't think it was so silly to worry a little now and then. "Oh, yes. And someday I'll rule the world," she teased, sitting back up. She let him ponder her words while she stared off into the distance, just enjoying his company for the time being. Before the scouts even arrived, she could tell that the man was the very same one who'd killed Baozu. She hadn't had a strong liking for the man, but she hadn't wished to see him die like that. Still he had pretty much called on someone to kill him--he sort of deserved what he'd gotten. The horrible thought made her sigh as she saw Biso heading toward the strange man with the others. Her eyes flashed and she was on her feat before she realized she'd moved.

Kael almost seemed bored as he watched. "Of course, I should go," she said, rolling her eyes. "They're all a bunch of idiots." She muttered a few choice curses under her breath as she took off like the wind, hurrying down into the fray. Unfortunately, she was too late to stop most of the fools who'd decided to gang up on the man from dying. She could still save Biso, however. The mercenary was closing the distance between him and her thieving friend. It was now or never.

She was between them in a fiery flash. Before Biso could react, she had his sword, and she was blocking the attack from the man. Her strong arms held the sword over her head, her body stopping him from doing anything more than light damage to the sword she held. "Biso, didn't I tell you to work on that impulse problem of yours?" She didn't wait for the fool to respond before she broke the hold, waiting for the mercenary to come at her.

"I wish we didn't have to fight. Granted, we did pick it, didn't we?" She sighed, wishing that it hadn't happened on her day off. He lunged in at the sigh, hoping to catch her off guard. He had no such luck. Lucy was damn near a master of the sword. Even if he had her on strength, it would take a great deal of technique and luck to take her down. She blocked him, parrying and dodged his next attack. She struck out with one of her own to show him she was serious--someone to be contended with. She managed to deal a vicious cut to his arm.

Her eyes stayed locked on him and she was able to read his next attack before it came. He had a good deal of skill and strength, but there was still something rather amateurish about his fighting. The redhead didn't let it go to her head, however. The last thing she needed was to underestimate him like these sad saps had. "I'll ask you again to put down your sword. I really don't want to fight you."

That seemed to do little to dissuade the man as he struck again and again, leaving Lucy to dodge, parry, and launch her own attacks. She moved with speed and grace, even in her skirt. She kept up her defensive fighting. Wondering what it would take to get the man to stop.

The mercenary almost glared at the new contender, a woman who had defended his last enemy. First a feeling of anger that swelled inside for not killing the loud mouthed bastard, and then one of confusion with how she was able to full on block his attack... With a sword half the size of his own. Sure there was some damage to her blade but she had full on stopped his blow. The mercenary quick to move back a few feet, doing his best to figure out what had happened and where to go from there. Biso however had already jumped back ten feet once Lucy was in the fray. “HA! You have no chance against our second in command!!” He shouted out, for a man that usually joked around about Lucy needing to be in the kitchen or polishing armor, he definitely had a change in tune with the situation at hand. However there was a battle going on and the mercenary would see to the end of it.

Biso would of run off as Lucy and the man fought one another, more or less to get the other Lions to come and watch. Kael showed up as well, his enthusiasm and interest on what was going on more then evident as he watched Lucy fight. The mercenary on the other hand wasn't having such an entertaining time. It was almost frustrating in fact to find an opponent, a woman no less, who was able to parry his blows so well. Sure their had been others, but there was always a sign of fatigue, being pushed back a foot or two from the sheer force of his blows, weapon's fully cracking and breaking. But no, where ever she had learned how to fight had taught her very well. She even returned blows, the mercenary's left arm bleeding as well as a few cuts to his legs and side. What was sad though was that whatever she was saying to him went right over his head, she could very well say she was done fighting and he wouldn't even know.

The mercenary stopped charging though, centering himself and bringing his sword out in front of him. This woman had defensively played him all this time, he would do the same now. Instead of full on charging in he took short steps, closing the gap between the two. When Lucy would swing at him he would block with his sword by bringing it down in front of him. But instead of pulling back and swinging like he had done before the man, true to his more unrefined style, pretty much bull rushed into his sword, running straight into the flat of his sword and straight into Lucy as well. With the chance he knocked Lucy to the ground, quick to get up and bringing his sword above his head. Much like he was about to kill Biso the mercenary swung his sword straight down, aiming to split Lucy's head in two. Her fellow Lions almost lunged forwards to try and stop this man but it was Kael who reacted faster.

In almost the same way Lucy has defended Biso, Kael had defended Lucy. His sword drawn, held up to stop the two handed sword from coming down. Except in Kael's case he did it completely one handed, his sword undamaged. The mercenary wide eyed as he started to step back, only to be met with a bare foot to the face as Kael jumped up and kicked him. This sent the man staggering back as Kael landed. “You can do better. I will take it from here.” Kael stated somewhat coldly as he left Lucy to stand up. The way Kael acted on the battlefield was very strict, very precise. Things needed to be done the way he planned it and if they didn't then there were consequences. The childish fun Kael that seemed to live outside of combat was no where to be seen at the moment.

“How many more of you are going to jump in?! HUH!?!” The mercenary finally spoke, his breathing a little heavy as he looked at Kael. “Fuck it, let's see what you got...” The mercenary said before he charged once more. The blood from his arm didn't matter to him, he could deal with it after he killed this prick. But true to form Kael side stepped, the blade missing him by no more then an inch. In response all Kael did was spin around, bringing the bottom of his sword against the back of the mercenaries head. And so the “dance” of sorts continued. The mercenary would attack and Kael would parry and strike back, the mercenary would defend and Kael would attack, forcing an opening and striking. Each time Kael hit it was with a non lethal hit... A kick to the face, the bottom of his sword. But this only enraged the mercenary who continued to fight. Sweat beating down his face, loss of blood causing his movements to slow down.

“Just give up, you are already beat. I have no qualm with you for killing one of my men. If anything I am interested in you.” Kael stated, keeping his front foot forwards with his blade up. The mercenary stood there, both hands on his sword still panting for air as he looked up at Kael. “Stop talking and fucking end it!” He shouted, charging once more. With a sigh Kael lunged forwards as well, and this time he did strike with his blade. Right into the mercenaries left part of his chest. The mercenary's eye's wide open, taking a few moments before he passed out.

“Poe! Get this man fixed up and bandaged!” Kael had shouted after pulling his blade from his body. Bending down to grab hold of the mercenaries sword. But the moment he lifted it up he would quickly set it back down. “Ow! That thing is heavy...” Kael pouted, Poe coming over and picking up both the man and the sword, lugging them over his shoulder before quickly running back to town. With that done the Lions would go back to whatever they had been doing before, Kael joining Lucy for the walk back to camp.

“I know what you are going to say... But I can use him.” Kael would tell Lucy. The two taking a longer way around a few of the hills instead of just going straight back to camp. “Though he will probably need to be looked after and kept warm at night till he has recovered.” Kael added, looking at Lucy in a way that meant he was asking her to do it without actually ordering her.

Lucy practically growled at him as he charged her. Of course, the frustration and anger was mostly aimed at Biso at this particular moment, but the man in front of her was no one to ignore. Unfortunately, it seemed, he was quite willing to ignore her. Well that was just fine, wasn't it? She could handle herself well enough. He was big and strong, but he was also kind of slow. She had that edge on him. Unfortunately, it didn't mean much when he found the right opening to charge. Even if she'd had perfect balance, the force of the blow would have knocked her down. Heart pounding, she prepared to roll as his sword came down at her, but Kael was soon blocking the attack for her. A little insulted that he'd stepped in when she could have handled herself, she followed his orders, admitting that she should just be grateful. She got to her feet quickly enough, brushing herself off and glancing over at the idiot who'd started it all. She sent him a death glare that could have frozen flame and returned her gaze to the fight.

Once more she was calculating, focused on the fight before them. She had no doubts that Kael would emerge victorious, but she wasn't stupid enough to open her damn mouth like someone she knew. Before much could be done, the mercenary was defeated. Honestly, it wasn't all that surprising that he would want to spare and save the man. It did irk her, however. A man like that wouldn't be easy to bring to their side.

She was about to say something to Kael about it, but he shut her down, knowing her far too well. "Actually, I was going to say that I could have handled it, but I know I should be thankful. It's hard to come back after a fall like the one I took. Especially in a skirt," she said, brushing herself off one more time. "I knew I should have stuck to pants, but NOOO." She was well aware that Kael was telling her to look after the man. "Oh, yeah, that won't be awkward at all. Oh please, please let me do it," she said, biting sarcasm dripping from every word. She was, however, grudgingly accepting the responsibility. She would follow Kael's orders without fail or question, but she wasn't afraid to let it be known that she didn't like it.

"Where's Biso. I'm going to kill that smug son-of-a-bitch," she growled, twirling the sword in her hand like the expert she was.

Kael brought a hand up to cover his mouth, laughing mischeviously as he looked at Lucy. “I don't know, maybe you would have been able to take him if looks could kill.” He added, laughing a little more before the two had made it to camp. Kael didn't need to push any more on the care of the mercenary, knowing Lucy knew she was going to do it. Though when she spoke of Biso the name made Kael smirk. “Biso where are you!?” Kael shouted out, and Biso would appear. The man was hiding inside one of the empty barrels the Lion's used to hold weapons. “What's up co- OH SHIT!” Biso shouted when he saw Lucy. Quick to jump out of the barrel he started to run as fast as he could away from Lucy. Kael and many of the other Lions laughing loudly as Lucy chased Biso with the intent to kill him!

Jaren had woken up a little while ago, greeted by Poe who had a bloodied man with him. Jaren just shaking his head as he went back into his tent, taking a few moments before coming back with what little supplies he had. “Where are we going?” Jaren asked, Poe just looking to Lucy's tent. This made Jaren blink a few times, “Oh man Lucy has to look over this guy?” That made Jaren laugh a little before the two would go into Lucy's tent. Over the course of the next thirty minutes the mercenary was stripped and bandaged. What herbs and salves they had now placed on his wounds. Poe had collected the mercenaries gear, taking it to Kael's tent. Jaren on the other hand was busy with the mercenaries chest. “Jeeze Kael... Freaking one more inch to the left and he would have had a sword through the heart...” Jaren said, slowly stitching the wound. “No way, I thought I hit him in the heart for sure.” Kael would suddenly chime in. Jaren freaked out since Kael had just creeped up on him and pulling the thick string he was using to much. The four stitches pulling the edges of the man's wound clean off. “DON”T DO THAT!!” Jaren shouted, Kael just laughing again.

Fully patched up the mercenary was left to Lucy's tent. Jaren going on his way to finally get some food while Kael went to meet with Garland. The Lions would march north and hit several villages along the way, hopefully the villages would have money and some problems needed to be solved or else food and supplies were going to start to run out for the Lions. Their end destination was Thericstan, word had gotten out that a noble was forming an army to take on a number of more organized raiders. That being their more sought after mission.

Biso's appearance was met with a shark-like smirk. When he started to run, she was off without a word, moving incredibly fast for a woman in a skirt. She leaned down and pulled a few throwing knives out of her boots, not missing a single beat. The redhead threw the knives like they were darts and she was shooting for the dartboard. She fully intended for at least one of them to make contact. "What's wrong, Biso?! Where's all that fighting spirit?!" She growled and launched herself at him, picking up speed as she went. Before long, she caught him, wrestled him to the ground and beat the living shit out of him. Granted, he put up a fight. It was no use when she got like this.

"Next time you wanna open that stupid mouth of yours remember how I just handed your ass to you," she spat. Though she was still pissed, she felt much better now that she'd taught him a lesson. After a long moment, she picked up her throwing knives and stowed them back in her boots before straightening herself up. Biso was left to fend for himself as she headed to Garland's tent. A talk with someone more level-headed about their next step would calm her down a bit. Kael would likely only make it worse by teasing her. Of course, he was headed there, too. But if he was smart, he'd keep his mouth shut. She might not be able to beat him with a sword, but if looks could kill...

Lucy ran her fingers through her tangled hair and decided the next stop would be her tent to fix that. You try to look nice for just ONE day and the world goes to hell. She looked over the plan and asked a few questions about stops for supplies and whether or not there had been news about the areas they were traveling in. Talking strategy with Garland calmed her significantly, and then she headed into her tent once more.

She saw the man lying there and decided she couldn't really blame him for fighting back. She could, however, hate that she had to take care of him because she was the least violent member of the group. Well, whatever. She combed her hair and pulled it back into a ribbon, sweeping her bangs to the side. She sighed and looked back down at him. He'd be out for awhile after his near-death experience. "Don't worry. You won't die. Yet."

With that, she left him and went for some damn breakfast. "Hey, Poe," she said, waving at the man. "Might wanna check on Biso. I might not have killed him, but he's gonna need some help," she said. Lucy grabbed a bowl of the gruel they prepared him and she sat down with Jaren. "Thank you for sleeping in today," she said, digging in.

“What I couldn't hear you over your fat Cow tits!” Biso shouted out, but this ultimately would lead to his downfall. That split in concentration was all Lucy needed to close the gap and pounce on him. On the ground Biso had no way to escape and was quickly trying to defend himself. But damn did Lucy know how to punch. When all was said and done and Lucy was on her way Biso was left panting on the ground, two black eyes, a busted lip. God damn was that painful. Someone would eventually come to help him up, which of course Biso pushed them away. “I am fine!” He shouted, even as his lip started to swell more and more.

Garland would look up at Lucy this time around when she came to his tent. With the plan set out he was much less focused on paper. Kael had approved the course of action and word was already spreading that the Lions would be heading out later in the day. Since Garland wasn't at the fight he asked Lucy how things went down, the man enjoying his time with her. Hell he was almost the only person in the whole army that enjoyed gossip, and could carry a conversation with Lucy without letting his eyes wonder to her chest her legs.

“Whoa, sounds like you could of finished him.” Garland would say, smirking as he stayed seated in his tent. “And you have to look after him as well? Wonder what Kael is trying to teach you by making you do all these things.” He would say, Garland was always a man to look behind the events that occurred. A man to read between the lines and make educated guesses on what was there. This of course was a very needed skill, but seeing how Garland didn't really know how to not use this skill he was constantly making these statements at times where there really was nothing between the lines. Whatever the case was they had their fun chat and Lucy was off.

When she joined Jaren for breakfast, the man scooted over on the bench he was at. “Thank you for waking me up with a dying man.” He said back to her, snickering as he looked at her. “You and Kael really did a number on him. I will be surprised if that guy ever wants to pick up a sword after this.” Jaren stated, once he finished talking though he went right back to eating. Making sure not to talk with his mouth full as the two sat together. “Any particular reason why Kael wanted you to see after the guy? Ever since Sven left the Lions I have had to act as freaking doctor.” Jaren spat out, the man knew he was appreciated, but due to the fact that he was above average at everything he did... People asked a lot of him.

Poe had heeded what Lucy had said, searching for Biso through out the camp. What he found was Biso laying down in his tent, a large jug of ale on his face. Whenever the jug left his face it was only so he could tip it and drink before placing it back on. The cool feeling helping the warm swelling that Lucy had beat into his face.

Lucy had known damn well that the cow tits remark made no sense and he was just trying to piss her off. He'd succeeded. So well, that she'd giving him two black eyes instead of just the one. Bastard. Served him right. Of course, she'd probably regret it later on, but right now she felt pretty damn righteous.

Her talk with Garland had served to smooth her out as well. He stroked her ego just enough, but she knew he was being honest too. It helped that he seemed to respect her as a fighter and as a person. Also, that he had enough class to not stare at her considerable assets was a point in his favor. He did always ask a question that made her think. She doubted that Kael had any particular reason for making her look after the mercenary, but it was worth her while to think of it.

When Jaren asked her, though, she wondered if there actually might be a reason. His comment about the doctor made her smile. "Well we can't let a brilliant man like you rest on your laurels, can we? Besides, I thought you liked playing doctor," she teased. She gave him a little wink, trying to remind him of the number of ladies who'd jumped to play doctor with him and his 'healing hands.' "I don't really think he had a good reason. Maybe because he thought you guys might want revenge for Baozu. Or maybe because I won't try to rob him in the middle of the night. I thought it was kind of weird he wouldn't want you to look after him. But I am probably the least violent out of all of us--excusing my recent fight with Biso." She shrugged, drinking some bitter coffee without flinching. "Maybe he wants me to rub off on him. Who knows? But he knew I'd end up doing it. Cheeky bastard."

She kept eating shrugging a little. "Anyway, how are you feeling?"

“Kael always has some reason behind what he says...” Jaren said as he stabbed some at his gruel. His mind however was on himself playing doctor, and how a number of oh so fair village maidens had come down with the “sickness” that they needed his special “healing hands” to cure them. It was strange that none of his fantasies seemed to involve Lucy in any way, then again Lucy was more of a sister, and even more so a brother in arms then a woman that Jaren desired. When she spoke up about Kael not having a good reason that brought Jaren away from his thoughts. “Kael always has a reason behind what he says and does.”

“But I think you have a point. If this blatant attack on the mercenary didn't work out, anyone that still wants revenge for Baozu would more the likely come in the night. Though I don't think anyone will now that Kael had this guy treated and mended.” Oh the possiblities. Unfortunately for Jaren, Garland had gotten the man hooked on questioning Kael and his motives. In no way in any rebelious sort of mind set, but more as a puzzle to solve. Because Kael was the crown jewel of mind games. “Well no matter, I am sure you will enjoy snuggling up and keeping him warm tonight.” Jaren said, laughing then. Poe would actually return with Biso over his shoulder, the man setting Biso down at the table. Biso looked to Lucy for a few moments before simply waving, downing more of the ale. When the jug went down on the table Jaren would start to point and laugh.

“Look at your face!!! Lucy fucked you up!” Jaren stated, laughing loudly as Biso just flipped him off. Poe sat down as well, a smile on his face taking what Lucy said of him checking on Biso as bringing him here. Garland now finished with his work also joined the table, grabbing a bowl of gruel as well before sitting down next to Biso. These five soldiers would be considered the leaders in the Lions under Kael. Pretty much their “rank” if anyone cared to classify it would go Lucy, then Jaren, then Garland, then Biso, and then Poe. Kael's most trusted soldiers. And here they all were laughing at Biso's misfortune.

It was almost a shame Lucy felt the same sibling-like affection for Jaren. They would have made a nice couple. He kept her level-headed an she kept him in good spirits, generally speaking. And they teased each other like any set of siblings might. Too bad. He was a handsome little devil. He earned a smack from her as he teased her this time, though. "Project your fantasies onto someone else," she snarled, eating more of the gruel before it had the chance to get cold. Lucy smiled cheerfully at Poe as he sad down with Biso, who was probably sloshed off his ass by now. She gave Biso an overly bright smile as if to say she didn't recognize that anything had happened between them. It was so bright that it was a little scary. Certainly it was scary that she could "forget" visiting such violence on the former thief.

When Jaren started laughing, it was hard not to join in, but she managed not to laugh at the man's misfortune. It was out of her system now. She did nothing, however, to stop the others from laughing at his busted up face. Let it stand as a lesson to them all. "Well doc, I think I know the next person who'll need your healing hands," she said with a smirk. She patted his back and then finished off her plate. She stayed with them to have some coffee and enjoy their companionship, though. It was nice to be in the mix like this. To know that she had a group of people who cared about her, who she cared about. It was also nice to know that she could kick a good half of their asses.

Enjoying the quiet smile on Poe's face, Lucy decided she was back in good spirits and that she could forgive Biso for acting a fool this morning. Even if he richly deserved all the punishment she'd dealt out. Granted, his tomfoolery was the most vocal, if the other men who'd died hadn't wanted in on the would-be revenge plot, they wouldn't have gone with him. Besides, as likeable as Biso could be, he really didn't have the charisma needed to lead a group into battle like that. Not on a spur of the moment anyway.

Their morning would be the only break they got though, Kael was very much anxious to start marching north. So once everything was squared away and updated the Lions would pack up their tents, pack their horses and wagons, and start their march. All day the men marched, riding on horses and moving along soundly. Jokes were cracked, conversations were had, if it wasn't for the equipment and banners that the men carried, they might of looked like traveling villagers with how friendly they were with each other.

Night would come upon them and the Lions would set up camp, the mercenary that was still knocked out moved from wagon to Lucy's tent. He hadn't woken up this whole time, still knocked out from exhaustion and loss of blood. The salves and bandages worked wonders though, his wounds having closed. But he still would need to rest and heal fully. Like many nights before the Lions came together in the middle of the camp, a large fire blazing.

There were a few musically inclined Lions among the Brigand and on such nights they would pull out their instruments, with a merry tune soldiers would dance and tell tales of past battles. Mostly of how Kael had brought them to victory. Poe and Biso were sitting down with a few other soldiers, watching as some of the men danced around the fire. Garland was one of the musically inclined, playing lute. Jaren was off dancing around the fire and Kael was sitting down near the musicians clapping his hands to the music and smiling happily. Life was good for the Lions.

Before they left, rather than leaving things to chance, Lucy changed into a pair of pants that tucked into her boots. The rest of her outfit remained the same. She rode with her sword on her hip and made the long ride on horse-back. with her friends. She talked with recruits of all levels as well as her friends. Finally, when they set up camp for the night, the group started playing music. Lucy always loved this part. They had amazing string players and she loved that Garland had that side to him. Mostly they danced, but once in awhile, someone threw in a request for a song. Tonight, one of the recruits begged and pleaded with Lucy to sing one and she decided to go for it.

"For you, but only once. It brings down the mood, you know." She shook her head and smiled, asking Garland to play along with her. She began to sing a short but philosophical song that the man had requested. Apparently his mother had sung it to him before he left to find work. Now that he was with the Lions, Lucy felt she couldn't turn down such a request. "Pilgrim how you journey on the road you chose, to find out why the winds die and where the stories go. All days come from one day. That much you must know. You cannot change what's over, but only where you go..." Her rich voice met the night air with a simple but lovely accompaniment and she was pleased to find that the song wasn't met with scorn.

"Each heart is a pilgrim. Each one wants to know the reason why the winds die and where the stories go. Pilgrim, in your journey, you may travel far. For, Pilgrim, it's a long way to find out who you are..." She ended the song with a bow of her head and then urged the musicians to start up again, smiling and clapping along with them as they played happier, lighter songs. She'd kept to her habit of not dancing so far, though she was a little tempted by the jaunty tune that they started playing next.

Lucy's singing was always something to listen too. Many of the Lions stopping what they were doing, be it drinking, dancing, or whatever it might have been. The all came around to hear the woman sing. Even Biso, the man that seemed to always have something to say grew silent in these moments of her song. Be it sad, be it joyous, be it any form to invoke such emotion, Lucy's voice was a gift to earth. And the song of choice made many men remember what they were doing here, why they were fighting, and those they were fighting to protect. When the song was over everyone cheered, whistling loudly before clapping. And just like that the merriment would continue.

Jaren wouldn't go back to dancing once the music started up again, instead he went to head for his tent for something. But he stopped when he saw someone there. The mercenary that should have been passed out still was limping his way through by the tents, the man finding his armor and weapon since everyone had been together at the fire. “Hey there, I am guessing you plan to leave.” Jaren said, the mercenary turning to see who was there. “I advice against it, though the wound wasn't fatal it was deep. At least give it a day or two to heal.” but from the way the man looked it was obvious he was planning to leave. “My name is Jaren, if you are hell bent on leaving at least talk to our leader. He will give you supplies and probably a horse. Because he would of killed you already if he didn't plan on helping.” Jaren stated, the mercenary looking at him for a few moments before agreeing. “What's your name?” Jaren asked, the two making their way to the main fire as he answered. “Durihan.”

The music would come to a stop when Jaren and Durihan walked up, ever staring at Durihan as he stood there pretty much fully armed again. Kael would stand up then and signal Durihan to come with him. The mercenary looking from person to person as he walked by, his eyes on Lucy for a while before he passed the crowd and was walking with Kael through the tents. Jaren stopped next to Lucy then as he watched the backs of the two men starting to shrink. “I think it might be best if you followed after them. In case he pulls something on our dear leader.” Jaren said, smirking as he knew that was ridiculous. A recovering mercenary taking advantage of Kael... yeah right.

“My name is Kael, it is a pleasure to talk with you finally.” Kael said, walking with the man. With no real course or destination the two were just making their way out of the clutter of tents. “And what is your name?”

“Durihan.” The man replied, keeping his eyes trained on Kael.

“Well Durihan, first in fore most I should let you know you need to be resting still... but I am sure Jaren told you that much. And before you ask me anything I would like to guess what is on your mind.” Kael said, smiling childishly as the two continued on. Durihan was still limping, but he would continue on. And as if playing a game Kael would walk just a little faster, pushing Durihan on as well to see how far the man would go.

“Your assault on the castle a few days back was quite admirable. We were only to provide two more days worth of defense but I must say I planned to completely repel your group. But seeing how you had gotten your payment you had no real loyalties to them. So to your first question, yes, we are the Lion Brigand and I am it's leader.” Kael said, smiling again as they continued on. “I didn't kill you this morning because I am fascinated with you. Even though you fight sluggishly, you fight with such raw power and grit. In your encounter with Baozu.. Your head would have been impaled if his axe hadn't broken apart. I don't know if you knew it or not but you so willingly gambled with your life for that finishing blow. Does it have no value to you?” Kael asked, Durihan having a rather confused look on his face.

“It isn't about valuing your life or not, I just don't fear death.” Durihan stated, that answer making Kael grin madly. The man even stopping which Durihan appreciated, his right leg throbbing from one of the deep cuts he had endured. “So you don't fear death?” Kael asked, turning to Durihan then. “I want you.” Kael added, a rather strange statement, and one that he didn't use often. Durihan blinking a few times before responding, “Are you gay?”

Kael of coursed laughed at that, shaking his head and even waving his hands back and forth to accentuate the point. “Oh not at all, I want you to join my men. To become a Lion.” Kael said, laughing a little more. “I can't quite place it but the way you fight, how you so bravely stood to Bazuso, how you took on Biso's group without hesitation. I just feel that you send yourself into danger so that you can find a way to survive, that you earn a reason to survive.” Kael said, and as he said this that cold and meticulous presence seemed to fall onto him. Durihan looking at him not so much in shock but he words he spoke meant something. As much as the man didn't want to think like that they did.

“I like you Durihan, that's why I want you to follow me.” Kael added, smiling like a child once more.

“Fuck that, I refuse.” Durihan blatantly said, pointing at Kael then as he continued. “We have never met before yet you think you know me. You think me some fool? I killed your men, you stabbed me and you expect me to be your ally?” Durihan asked, and again Kael only laughed.

“You refuse? I don't think you understand. You belong to me now Durihan. This morning you were going to die, and when I chose not to pierce your heart I chose to use you as a soldier, not a corpse for the buzzards to pick at.” Kael said, smirking as he stood there.

“Then kill me.” Durihan said, pulling his sword out and bringing it in front of him. The blade was only inches from Kael's face. “Fight me again, if I win, I get to give you a wound like mine.” Durihan said, smirking as he stood there. “And what do I get if I win?” Kael would ask, not even stepping back, simply drawing his sword as he kept perfect eye contact with Durihan. “If you I will be your soldiers or whatever the fuck you want.” Durihan replied, grip on his sword tightening. “Very well...” Kael replied and jumped back, no more then five feet before he charged. Durihan charged as well and the two would swing.

For anyone that was watching they would see the two men standing with their backs to one another, their weapons fully extended in front of themselves as they looked out into the distance. Kael only smiling while Durihan gritted his teeth. The mercenary soon after falling to his knees as he dropped his blade, a large gash opening on his left side. “Come on then, you really need to rest now.” Kael said as he sheathed his sword, helping Durihan up by the arm. And much like this morning Durihan would be taken to Lucy's tent, Jaren called over to treat his wound, and Kael telling Lucy to watch after him. Poe coming back around to pick up the sword that was dropped.

Durihan laid in the tent, pretty much wide eyed as he looked at the ceiling. How had he been defeated so easily. Sure he had wounds, but before all of this as well. At the top of his game, in the heat of battle, this Kael had wiped the floor with him. Durihan couldn't even get one hit on the man. What was Kael? It was like fighting a wave in the sea, you couldn't even dent it, all you could do was get overwhelmed and washed back to shore.

Lucy hadn't been aware that her charge was currently planning an escape from their camp, but when she next spotted Jaren in the crowd, her eyes narrowed a bit. It seemed the mercenary didn't want to play Kael's little game. Though she trusted Kael and would probably follow him to the end of the earth, she could understand that. Often their leader was very manipulative, and some people just couldn't stand to have their strings pulled that way. It made them...itchy, for lack of a better term. Still, it was foolish of him to have even tried to wander off in his current state. It looked like, however, Jaren was taking him to Kael for a little chat. More than likely it was so that Kael could welcome the mercenary into the fold. She wasn't entirely sure if she liked the idea of it.

Sighing, she could tell right away, that it wouldn't end well. Someone--most likely the mercenary--would be hurt before the night was over and she'd have yet another person to look after.

When Jaren had passed off the man to their leader, Lucy turned her gaze to her friend. His advice made her sigh. On the one hand, it was ridiculous to think that Kael would need any help. On the other, it stirred legitimate worry. She kept her face blank, however, deciding to stay right where she was. Kael would probably be upset with her if she followed along anyway. "No. I'll just end up having to look after him, too, if he gets hurt. And I don't know if you realize how much two grown men can smell up the place." She shuddered and stretched a little, joking with him because she knew he would go with it.

"No, Kael will do whatever he wants, whether I'm there to interrupt or not. So let's just wait for him to come back. You'll be needed, I'm sure. Someone will have a fresh sword wound." She smiled and patted him on the back, deciding to get something more to drink. By the time she'd finished her ale, the men were back and it was as she had predicted--Jaren was needed and she was told to watch after him, though she'd already agreed. "Yes, master," she muttered. "Would it kill you to not bring me a bloody man to watch after for once? They always smell terrible," she said frowning.

With that, she went to the tent with Jaren to help him as needed and to actually look after the man who'd been hauled in. After all this, she still didn't know his name.

Kael blinked a few times when Lucy responded to him. A smile creeping on his face as he looked at her. “Oh you want a man now? What would you like? Tall? Short? Fat? Skinny?” Kael asked, sticking his tongue out before he went on his way. “Just for tonight Lucy! I will get Poe to look after him tomorrow.” Kael was off to the musicians again, wanting to put in a request for an old song that he liked.

When Lucy came to her tent Jaren was already at work, mumbling something about not being a real doctor as he stitched up Durihan's side. “You really need to stop pushing it. We get it, you are a tough guy. Any more cuts like this and you will be nothing more then a vegetable.” Jaren said, looking to Lucy and smiling. “Pass me those please.” Jaren said, pointing to the roll of bandage that was just out of his reach. “Sit up Durihan, just for a moment.” And Durihan would do so, Jaren getting around the man to wrap his stomach before tying it and getting up. “No more macho shit alright? If I got to fix you up again I am just going to kill you myself. He is all yours Lucy.” Jaren said, waving good bye to Lucy before exiting the tent.

Durihan had kept his gaze on the ceiling of the tent as he laid there, it taking a few moments for him to process everything... But also to realize that Lucy was still in the tent. “You ever lose a fight before?” Durihan would ask, just out of the blue. Not introducing himself, not asking her name, just asking her what was on his mind.

Lucy rolled her eyes at Kael and gave him a little shove as he stuck his tongue out at her. "Child," she muttered, entering the tent. She did as Jaren asked, knowing that he really had the short end of the stick because he had to do all this. She handed him the bandages he wanted and helped Durihan stay up as Jaren wrapped him. The redhead had to agree with Jaren. Just because you were tough, it didn't mean that you needed to prove it over and over. She watched Jaren go and waved. Then she came back in and crossed her arms, considering him. He was still nameless as far as she was concerned, and a little crazy. But then, who was she to judge?

After a long moment, he spoke. "I have," she answered simply. "Everyone loses now and then," she offered, hoping he would take it in stride. "Any reason in particular you'd like to know?"

"I don't know if I have just been lucky up till now, or if I really have just found people that are stronger then other." Durihan said, taking his breathing a little slower to level out the pain he was feeling. "When we fought even though you are a woman you lasted longer then most men had against me. I am not even sure if I was going to kill you with that final blow or not before your leader stepped in. And then your leader.. I couldn't even touch him." Durihan spoke, the words sounding a little heavier on his voice. "Losing results in death on the battlefield, it is hard for me to grasp I guess. You mind bringing me my sword?" Durihan asked her, looking up to her as he laid on the ground. "I promise not to start another fight, I just sleep better with it nearby."

Lucy thought on what he said for a moment. "Well, I guess there's always someone better," she said with a frown. "I really doubt if you would have killed me with that blow, but we'll never know. I've no intention of fighting you again in earnest. I really didn't want to fight you today either, but Biso had to open his damn mouth." She grumbled a little and blinked as he asked for the sword. She was still a little suspicious of him.

"I suppose I can understand that. I'll bring it to you as long as you don't stab yourself or something. Because just...ew. And Jaren's getting tired of patching people up." Of course, she couldn't say as though she blamed the guy. Seemed like he never got any peace anymore. She carefully picked up the sword, noting how heavy it was. She didn't make a big deal of it like Kael had, though. She hefted it up and gently propped it against his cot.

"What's your name?" she asked, standing beside him for a moment longer. From the sound of it, she had his respect, if nothing else. She wanted to be able to return that. Besides, he sounded as though he were in a good deal of pain. If he'd wanted her help, she could make some of the pain go away, but she got the feeling he wouldn't ask even if he knew.

"Thank you." Durihan said once she brought his sword over. She did make him smirk when she said as long as he didn't stab himself. Suicide was the furthest thing from his mind at that moment. But now his gaze was on her instead of her ceiling. When she asked his name he was confused a little, it was almost funny really that the two of them started this conversation and didn't know each others names. Jaren was the one that Durihan had said his name too.

"Durihan, and yours?" The man would ask, taking the time to really look at Lucy then. What with her red hair and blue eyes, she didn't look like a soldier. Then again what looked like it was suppose to be now a days? Villagers making their way toward the capital turned out to be bandits, bandits turned out to be an organized mercenary group. But that was life. The two of them would continue to talk till Durihan pretty much passed out from exhaustion.

The rest of the march up north would other wise go undisturbed. Lucky for the Lions they were able to pick up another job along the way to help sustain their group. And five days later they met up with the Noble who was forming the little army.

The enemy army had set up camp in the forest outside of the Noble's castle, and the following morning the Lions would unite with other mercenaries to fight. Though Kael was scheming, and called a meeting with the Noble and the other mercenary leaders. When his plan was found out to be the best he would call the rest of the Lions together.

"We are going to attack the enemy tonight." Kael stated, everyone told to suit up and equip themselves before meeting. "They are resting and keeping watch till tomorrow. And after reviewing some of the maps of the area there looks to be a river that cuts through the forest. We can take the river on foot to avoid any patrols and come right up behind the enemies camp. Then we can set fire and cause as much havoc as possible to cripple their forces." Kael said, everyone committing what he was saying to memory. Durihan had joined the Lions for this plan as well, even if it had only been five days.

"Lucy, Jaren, you two will be in charge of setting their tents and supplies on fire while we fight. Biso, Poe, and I will lead the rest of the Lions on a surprise attack to catch a number of them off guard. Durihan, once the enemy has reacted to the attack and equipped themselves we will retreat straight back to this castle. We will need a rear guard, this will be very dangerous, you think you can handle it?" Kael asked, smirking as Durihan simply nodded. "I want Frenric, Seth, and Stahl to follow Durihan as the rear guard. Keep to the trees and you can reduce the number of enemies you have to encounter as you make your way back to the castle. Let's go out there and win this battle before it begins!" Kael shouted, his men shouting as well.

And so the Lions would make their way to this river, the other mercenaries that the Noble had brought together stayed outside the castle walls, more to keep the enemy scouts fouled that they weren't doing anything. The soldiers had to get off their horses as they entered the river, pulling them along slowly. Every so often an enemy soldier would appear at the river, someone quickly disposing of him with a throwing knife or crossbow. But with in time the Lions would exit the River and come to the tree line surrounding the enemy camp.

Kael would mount up on his horse, his men following his lead as he raised his sword. The man quick to swing it and charge, the Lions charging as well. Everyone had their jobs, Poe, Biso, and Durihan charging in the main group while Jaren and Lucy had a unit of their own, quick to branch off with torches to start setting fire to the enemy tents. The attack was completely unexpected, the enemy greeting the Lions with nothing but shirts and what weapons they had in reach. It was almost a slaughter in the first few minutes. Half dressed men rushing out to try and defend themselves, supplies of gun powder and ale quickly igniting as fire began to spread. But men did mobilize, and the Lions would start having to fight.

She nodded upon hearing his name, committing it to memory. "Lucy. Nice to meet you," she said with a little smile. The redhead continued to talk to him, waiting until he drifted off to sleep before she changed into her night clothes and went to bed herself. She woke up before dawn, dressing and grooming herself before she woke him. They traveled together for the next few days, the Lions looking forward to new jobs. Finally, they got one.

Unfortunately, it meant one hell of an attack on likely unsuspecting enemies. Either way, she would do what Kael asked her to do. They set up camp and got their assignments, but Lucy had a feeling it wouldn't be as simple as everyone thought. It never really was. She felt a little bad for attacking when the enemy was off-guard, but strategy was strategy. If you're in a war and don't have a suitable guard set up, it's your own fault," she supposed. She knew that the Lions always had someone on watch. Thankfully, though, that was never her job anymore.

She led the unit with Jaren and timed it so that the attack just started before they got in. She had some archers in the trees shoot flaming arrows while some foot soldiers snuck into the camp and set anything they came into contact with ablaze. She herself charged in with a few horsemen and rode through causing some havoc. Once the supplies and tents were on fire, their job was to provide support, so she did just that, having the archers take care of the perimeter and the cavalry guard some of the burning supply tents. The foot soldiers were added to the perimeter as well, and soon the fight was in full swing. They'd lowered the numbers significantly, but not so much that they could expect an easy victory.

Kael's plan had overwhelmed a fourth of the enemy army, maybe even a third. But just as Kael had said, the rest of the army had mobilized. Kael quick to call a full retreat. Since the Lions had finished their surprise attack, that element wasn't needed so they stayed on horse back, running by the rivers to head back to the castle. The forest would thicken along the way, and it was this that Durihan and his handful of men took advantage of. As the bulk of the Lions retreated Durihan would linger, still retreating as well but fulfilling his orders by cutting down the first of the followers.

The enemy's advancing cavalier would focus on Durihan and the few Lions that comprised the rear guard. Kael and the rest of the Lions soon able to put enough distance between the two where the retreat had been a success. Men at the castle would cheer and congratulate the Lions, seeing the fire from the castle. However Kael would stay on his horse just outside the entrance of the castle with Poe, Lucy, and Jaren. Waiting, watching the woods for any signs that Durihan and his unit made it. Ten minutes would go by and Stalh and Seth would come up to the castle, Fenric and Durihan no where in sigh.

“Where are the others?” Kael asked, staring at the two as they came to a stop. “Fenric got killed in the initial attack. We continued to retreat from the rear and Durihan stayed behind. The man is probably dead by now.” Stahl said, Kael looking back to the woods as he thought about what to do. “It would be good if he didn't die yet.” Kael stated before turning. “Bring the cannons and archers to the front gate! Load and prepare to fire on my return!” Kael stated before turning his horse towards the forest. “Lucy, Poe, Jaren with me!” Kael commanded before his horse ran off into the woods.

“Son of a bitch!” Durihan shouted, swinging his sword into the chest of an on coming enemy. He had successfully gotten the attention of the response unit, but now that he was the only one left they were focusing on him. Durihan keeping the chase at the front, fighting only when someone caught up. But the enemy was hot on his tail. Durihan was coming to a thick set of trees and found an opening to escape through only the size of his horse. The man quick to lean against the beast to get as close as possible. But a few of the enemies would pull crossbows, shooting Durihan's horse in the head to drop the beast. “FUCK!” Durihan shouted, his horse falling and throwing him off of it. Just feet away from the opening Durihan got up, bringing his sword in front of him as he looked at the on coming cavalier. “I fucked up!” Durihan thought to himself, ready to strike where he could. But before the enemy came to him crossbow bolts would fly by, taking the first few soldiers down. Durihan quick to turn around to see Kael, Lucy, Jaren, and Poe riding towards him.

Kael would come right up to to Durihan, dropping his crossbow and offering a hand to Durihan. Duriahn taking it and getting up onto Kael's horse. While this was happening an enemy rode up, sword in hand as he was about to bring it down onto Kael... Poe however appeared beside them, his two handed mace in hand as he swung, the axe breaking right through the enemy's mask and shattering his face. The poor soldier falling to the ground. “Let's go!” Kael shouted as Jaren and Lucy would provide cover.

“Why did you come back for me?” Durihan would shout as the four Lions rode back to the castle. “Shut up! You will bite your tongue!” Kael shouted back, Durihan looking over his shoulder to see the oncoming enemy. The four were too slow.. It wouldn't take long for the enemy to be upon them in increasing numbers. But as Durihan turned around he would see a clearing.. Closer and closer the enemy would almost be in striking range. But just before they could swing the four would pass through the clearing. Quick to split to the left and right because on the other side of the clearing was the entrance to the castle.. And what was set up moments before but a full set of cannons and archers. “FIRE!!!” Kael shouted as they rode away from the clearing. Durihan turning and watching as the clearing got lit up with cannon fire and arrows. It was a massacre.. It not taking long at all before the enemy called a full retreat. Men now cheering as they had successfully attacked the enemy forces. Quickly Kael was rushed by men, cheering him on and telling him how amazing his plan was. Kael only laughing as the five got off their horses. With such a blow to the enemy there would be no way they would continue the war in the morning. So a feast was put on! The noble that owned the castle giving as much meat and ale as the men could eat.

Much like the Lions were used to in their celebrations, but now with a grander crowd and better food the men celebrated. Laughing and telling stories of the battle that had just happened. Durihan however wasn't a part of the Lions little group. Up above on the castle walls Durihan sat with his sword against his shoulder, looking out at the smoldering fire off in the forest. Why was he saved today? The plan was a success, why put more men in danger? Kael made no sense to Durihan.

Back
Top Bottom