Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Trouble with Knights (Kiandra_Black & Rage)

Kiandra_Black

Supernova
Two men sat on their mounts, at the cliff looking over the kingdom. The two were quiet until one looked over and said, "James, have you any word from your sister?" James answered, "My sister is finally coming back today. You remember how she's been training with Sir Lance. It's been five years since we last saw her. I am so happy to see her home. You think she is still that gangly little fourteen year old who used to chase after us, begging us to teach her how to sword fight?"

Serina of Blackstead rode through the gates of the kingdom, her head held high. She smirked as she imagined her brother's reaction. In the past five years, she had changed. No longer was she a wimpy girl. She had grown into a strong young woman. She had finally grown curves, and her long midnight black hair gleamed a dark violet in the sun. It had slight waves to it, and had grown to her shoulder blades. She kept it much shorter than most women, because she knew that in battle it was a weakness.

She headed into the castle courtyard, her black stallion pawing at the ground. The battle horse had been a gift from Sir Lance at the end of her training. He had been her favorite mount while she had been there, and she had seen him grow into the proud horse he was today. She shushed him as he bugled a challenge in his new home, and she smiled when none of the other horses dared to answer. "Hush Dreadnought." Her voice was calm, with a smooth caramel center. When she spoke, it was with authority. Her eyes were the color of amethysts, surrounded by black eyelashes. They were almond shaped. Her lips were pouty, drawing many men to think of how it would feel to kiss her, her body drawing even lustier thoughts.

She looked around for James, as well as his best friend, whom she knew would be wherever James was. The two were peas in a pod.

Haine smiled in response to his best friend, patting his horse over the top of its head, "I'm sure she's grown up into a fine young woman, " Haine replied with a chuckle, his icy blue eyes focused on the Stronghold in the distance, "Whatever the case, I'm sure Sir Lance taught her well. Training for five years can really change a person... even a lady like her." he tugged the reins on his golden steed, "Anyways, we better get over to the kingdom. I'm sure your sister and our knightly duties are just waiting for us." He pulled his horse over onto the road and trotted softly.

Glimmering in his shining gold and silver armor, Haine's appearance was extraordinary and regal. He was wide shouldered and fit, yet his face held soft features as his dark blond hair fell down to frame his face. His icy blue eyes could give the warmest gaze or the most frightening glare, and he had the insignia of the royal kingdom displayed on his shield as he stayed strapped onto his back along with his decorated broadsword. He had a very recent wound that trailed over and under his eye from a slash from a bandit, the marking still red and painful at the touch. However, he considered it somewhat as a trophy.

"James," Haine chuckled lightly at his friend as they tread closer and closer to the large castle gates, "It's been five long years since we've actually been home... what do you plan on doing next?" Haine inquired, looking over at his best friend and comrade. They had been off on pilgrimage for what seemed like an eternity, fighting and risking their lives for the good of the kingdom. He knew that living calm, quiet lives would not suit them. He wouldn't doubt that they would eventually have to see action soon.

Serina searched for James, but it seems he had not arrived yet. No matter, that only gave her time to clean up and change. She headed up to her old room, ordering a bath from the maids on her way up. Noble blood had its perks.

James looked over at Haine and answered, "Well, we'll be serving the king. I'm pretty sure we'll be placed as the Royal Guards of the family. However, when war descends, as I am sure it will, our swords will join the army in defeating whichever Kingdom is stupid enough to declare war." He grinned, showing teeth, a vicious snarl more like. They rode into the castle courtyard and were immediately greeted by old acquaintances.
"Sir James! You sister arrived not but a half hour ago. She said to tell you, and Sir Haine as well, that she would see you at the old pub." A servant said as the two.men dismounted. James grinned and allowed a stableboy to take his horse before turning to look at Haine. "Shall we take some time to freshen up, as I have no doubt Serina is doing right now, or meet her there like this. It would be fun to see her face, after we hug her all sweaty!" He laughed as he said it, leaving the decision up to his friend.

Serina dressed in a gray tunic with purple embroidery, and black leggings which were cut open up the sides of her legs. They were held closed by strings, crisscrossed down the sides. A pair of black boots, with ermine fur completed the look.
She strapped on her daggers on her thigh, and placed her quiver, with her bow and arrows, on her back. She left behind her sword, not thinking that she would need it.

She walked through the streets, getting hellos from old family friends. She greeted each one in turn, but didn't stop until she came to The Thorn's Cut. She smirked to herself and entered, looking around to see if James and Haine were there already.

Haine dismounted with his friend, moving over to hitch his own horse... it wasn't like he didn't trust the stable boys or anything, but he preferred to do it on his own. After all, retrieving his golden steed wasn't an easy task, and he felt a strong attachment to the horse. He left the stable, making his way back to his friend with a light smile on his face.

"I don't know..." He hefted his arm around, "Taking our time to freshen up would require us to take off all our equipment... its hard enough to put it on, but taking it off doesn't sound too appealing. Let's just head in and look around for her, shall we?" He clapped his large hand onto his friend's back, leading the way into the pub with his eagerness to relax and have a quick drink.

The place was just as lively and mildly hectic as he remembered... Haine received quite a few greetings along with a few winks of the barmaids heaving around the mugs of alcohol on their trays. He smiled back and nodded at them before leading his friend over to the bar top, seating himself onto a wooden bar stool.

"Long time no see, " He grinned at the bartender, "James and I will have the usual. Oh, and let's not forget to keep an eye out for you little sister now!"

She saw her brother's characteristically black messy hair in the corner and slinked up to them. Thanks to her boots, she made no sound and was able to reach them without letting them know she was there. She winked at the bartender who smirked as she blew on her brother's neck as her usual greeting. He shivered, and then turned to look at his sister.

A couple years had done her well! And the scrawny urchin who had followed him and Haine on their adventures had turned into a calm, beautiful young woman. She smiled at him as he whooped and grabbed her into a hug, swinging her around in a circle. She cringed at his smell and began struggling against him, demanding to be put down.
"Let me go you overgrown pig! You stink! What, did you bathe in manure!?" He laughed and proceeded to put her on her feet, before noisely kissing her cheek. She wiped it away with one of her long sleeves, wiping it against his armor. She glared up at him as he looked down at her, trying to reconcile the picture of her now to what she used to be. He was older by 3 years, 22 to her 19 years.

He noticed the looks she was receiving from the other patrons of the bar, mostly leers from the men and immediately began glaring at them. He took in her clothes and remarked, "What's that you are wearing!? You need to cover up! No lady dresses like that!"
"Well, its a good thing I am not a lady. I am a knight. These clothes are easy to maneuver in. You should see my armor." She smirked at the end of that before the two simply grinned at each other and then turned to look over at Haine, to see his reaction at seeing Serina again.

Haine had been a little busy occupied with the dull aching pain of the slash over his icy blue right eye. When James jumped from shock, Haine accidentily rubbed his finger against and growled in mild pain, checking to see if he had been bleeding or not. Satisfied with not seeing any blood on his hand he turned with a small smile before looking over to see what the commotion was about.

"Damnit, James... you haven't jumped like that since I've had to save you from the- Wait, Serina?" Haine blinked, taken completely back by the form of the lovely young woman before him. Her body had really changed in all the right places, and at first he wasn't sure if it was the same girl or not. Recognizing that same smile and look in her eye he gave a small laugh.

"Wow, Serina, " Haine chuckled, "What happened to that thin little girl who used to hang all over us five years ago?" He smirked, "It's good to see you. You've certainly... well... grown!" He gestured to all of her, still slightly unconvinced that the alluring woman before him was his best friend's little sister.

Serina smirked at him as she turned around in a small circle, letting him see her entirely. She certainly had grown, and so had he. She looked him over, her eyes roving over his new muscles.
She answered, "I've grown. It isn't my fault. Simply the passage of time." She turned to a man who had approached, asking her for one drink at his table. She was about to follow him, when James stood and growled at him. The man nodded and walked away. Serina turned on her brother, angry, her amethyst eyes flashing in the firelight of the tavern.
"What is wrong with you?!"
He took a step back, avoiding his sister as she stalked up to him, "I am a big girl now James. I don't need anyone to protect me."

She took a breath and sighed before sitting herself between them at the bar and ordering a pint of ale. James looked over at Haine with wide eyes.

"Well, time certainly passed well for you." He winked at her as he took a long sip of his drink. Having your best friend's little sister be completely attractive was a bit shocking for him... he had seen very beautiful women in his time, but Serina was definitely one of the best. She had changed so much, and it was hard to see her as James's little sister anymore. She was definitely a new woman.

Haine watched the scene, smirking as his friend was shot down by his little sister. Haine scooted over a little to let Serina sit between them, laughing at James's surprised face. "Come on, James!" Haine smirked, "Your sister obviously can take care of herself, you know. Giver her a chance!" He took another long sip of his drink, setting the mug down with a satisfied smile.

"So Serina, " Haine started, "How have you been these past few years?"

She grinned, "It's been quite well. Though the training was hard, it made me into a much better fighter. Sir lance does not allow for much weakness. You either grow or you are sent home." She didn't tell them of the whip marks to her back when she disobeyed. That was the law in Sir Lance's castle. If you didn't obey the rules, you were whipped. Some of the other knights had found it very low-class to hit a lady, but then realized if she wanted to be a knight, she would have to get the punishments met out by their commanding officer.

A man approached them, a smile on his lips. "Serina!" She turned only to be greeted by a friend of hers. He had trained alongside her at the castle. "Joseph! What are you doing here?"
"I am passing through. My father's estate is past the woods. What brings you here?"
"This is where I grew up, well the kingdom at least. This is my brother James and his best friend Haine. This is Joseph. He trained with me at Sir Lance's."
"Well met." He looked to each one nodding in greeting before turning back to Serina. His eyes held a gleam of interest for her, though James let it go, rather than being scolded again by his sister.

Haine raised a glass, "Well met, Joseph." He then smirked, "Oh, Serina, you forget... it's SIR Haine and SIR James. It bothers me slightly when one forgets our titles... they were hard to get, I hope you know." he looked over at Jame's grimacing face and gave him a light chuckle, taking a long sip of his drink before setting it down lightly onto the bartop.

While things were certainly quieter around the town, Haine had a hard time readjusting to this place. After being out in the field for so long, he was jumpier than usual. When he heard the other man approach from behind he nearly drew the sword from his waist... the things he had done and seen from his journeys were always on his mind, and he had a hard time just trying to settle down. He rubbed the edges of the scar on his face, grimacing slightly.

Serina smirked at his words and answered, "You will never be sirs to me. Always James and Haine. That's all." In the back of her mind she wondered what it would be like to call him lover as well, buy she didn't voice THAT! She turned back to Joseph who hugged her and headed out the door. She waved good bye before turning back to the men.

"Haine, what happened to your cheek?" Serina asked quietly as she placed her hand gently over his. He could feel the strength within her small hand, and that the palm was lightly calloused. She was no longer a weak lady.

Haine hesitated at the touch, looking over at Serina. She no longer looked like the little sister she once was... the toughened hand that touched his was clear proof of that. Although it was a tad quick, he was already starting to see her as a woman, not as a little sister in any means. He left their touch linger before slowly pulling back, his warm skin sliding against hers as went to touch it lightly. He gave her a small laugh, finding her eyes with his own.

"Well, it was quite recent, " He grimaced, "Only a few weeks ago. James and I were protecting a caravan from bandit ambushes. It had been a while since we had fought, and so we were a bit careless. When they popped out, James ended up getting a light stab wound and I got this. It's been either aching or itching like hell, " He grumbled, "It's always the light wounds that are real pains, " He gave a slight chuckle, "It's nothing too serious, though. I still have my eyesight, and I can see you just fine. " He smirked.

"See me just fine huh? What exactly do you see?" She asked as she grabbed her glass of ale and took a healthy sip. When they were younger, she tried to do that and usually always coughed after. Now though, there was no reaction.

She watched the tavern quietly, her eyes roving over each person. Her eyes had a twinkle, but no one would say she wasn't a dangerous person. Her tight body and the daggers strapped to her thighs told of a deadly occupation. She smirked, as she watched three men try to get a barmaid to sit with them. The barmaid easily side steppes their advances and walked away, laughing as she did so.

Serina turned back to James and found him flirting with another barmaid. She rolled her eyes and turned to Haine, making a face.

"What do I see?" Haine gave a light chuckle, feeling as though he was suddenly put underneath a spotlight, "Well, I a little girl that I knew since I met my best friend, " He then took a big swig of his drink, needing it, "But then, I see a fine woman that she turned into. A woman with looks that could kill, and a body that all the men in the bar can't help but stare at." he said, clinking his glass against hers, "It looks like you've come a long ways, Serina. I don't think I can ever see you the same away again." He chuckled.

Haine chuckled at his friend trying to get with the barmaid, "Your brother was never one for words... he needs to be a bit more smooth, " He laughed.

"True. Very true." She said laughing. The two watched her brother get shot down. He turned back to face them, "Don't you dare say it Serina. It's on the tip of your tongue, I know it is. Don't you dare..."
Serina bit her bottom lip, trying to hold it back but finally burst out laughing before asking, "Are the fish not biting today?"

When they were younger they used to play in the creek and everytime a fish would get away she would ask that. Now she used it when he was unsuccessful at wooing women. She turned to look at Haine to see a petite barmaid flirting with him. She growled, and froze in surprise at her reaction. He was only her brother's friend. Just Her friend. There was absolutely no reason to feel jealous, or want to rip the hair off the cheeky little... whoa, she sat heavily, looking at the ale in front of her, taking in shallow breaths.

Haine smiled at the barmaid, "I'd just like to fill my glass up again, miss." She filled his mug with the ale before smugly turning around, giving a *hmph* as she stormed away. Haine shrugged, not quite feeling it. Sure, he's been around here and there, but it was looking to most likely be a one night stand or a very short fling. Nowadays, he was on the search for something perhaps a bit more... stable. Looking over at Serina, however... no, there was no way he could think that way... right?

"Serina?" Haine blinked, looking over at the troubled form of the young woman, "Are... are you okay?" he suddenly grew a bit worried, placing one of his large hands on her back, "You aren't sick or anything, are you?"

"What?" She looked up at him, her eyes just a bit lost. She noticed the barmaid had walked away, but she had no idea what had happened between them. She bit her lip as she stood, and said, "I've got to get going. I have to be up early tomorrow." She smiled to the two and walked out. James turned to Haine and shook his head at him, his eyes closing at his friend's stupidity.

Serina walked into the alley next to the tavern and leaned back against the wall, her head banging against it as she sighed to herself, "Stupid, idiotic girl. What was I thinking? Why would Haine be interested in me, the little girl who bothered them, and now a knight, not even a lady." She took another breath.

Haine watched her go, looking back at his friend. He suddenly frowned, "I know that look James... you only do that look when I either not notice something important, or do something really stupid... look, I didn't do anything so what's with you?... " He continued to look back at his friend before glancing back at where Serina went, "Wait... it has something to do with your sister, doesn't it?" Haine looked back at James, a frown still etched onto his lips. After a few more moments, Haine stood up, turning and making his way to leave the tavern.

"Serina!" He called, walking out of the doorway, "Serina, you out here?" He glanced around, finding her next to the door. "Oh hey, " he blinked, walking up to her, "What's up? I'm worried about you."

James chuckled. Serina had been in love with Haine since... well... Forever. Hopefully they would realize they were perfect for each other.

Serina looked over at Haine, but didn't answer, her eyes drinking in his form before she realized what she was doing and turned her head away and looked down at the ground, her cheeks turning a dull rose pink.

Haine smiled at her, still approaching her. "Come on, " He spoke, hooking his arm through hers, "It's been a while, Serina. Let's leave your loser brother for a bit and take a small walk through town... I bet there's a lot that we can catch up on... I'd like to know exactly how you managed to shape up. " He pulled her away from the wall of the tavern, a smile still on his face as he turned to lead her through the village.

He was quite aware of the attention they were both receiving... It felt very natural with her next to him, though, and he felt genuinely happy. In the past, he spent much time with Serina... whether it was sharing dreams of the future, or just in a lively conversation. He was sure there was also a childish bet about marriage somewhere, and the thought of that made him smile lightly.

"Let's head down to the river we used to play at all the time, " He nodded, "It's probably where we had the best memories."

She walked with him as she listened to him. This felt more like what they had done a while ago. "The river you threw me into, that is the one with the best memories?" She asked, a smile on her face as she remembered that afternoon.

James and Haine had tried sneaking away from Serina, and thinking they had succeeded, headed down to the river. However, Serina had overheard where they were going. So when they came around the corner and the river came onto view, so did Serina, who was sitting on the log half fallen over the river, her toes trailling the cool water. The two boy sighed, but trudged over to her, and asked her how she had gotten there before them. She answered them cheekily and Haine threatened to throw her into the water if she didn't answer them. She stuck her tongue out at him and, he did what he had warned her. She came back up sputtering as the two boys laughed.

The two walked through the moonlight, as the river came into view. "That is a sight for the heart. Feels so familiar, yet I know it's changed."

"Of course, " He smiled, "Fishing, playing, throwing mud at each other, looking for frogs... throwing you into it that one time?" He chuckled to himself, "Just like old times, huh?" The ale was making him quite relaxed, but he wasn't stumbling all over the place like some old drunk man. The night was full, and he was quite enjoying Serina's company."

As they came upon the river, Haine couldn't help but smile wide, "It's a sight much welcomed, " He nodded, "It's been too long... I don't think I could feel this comfortable anywhere else, you know. I remember stargazing until a few hours after midnight. Our parents weren't too happy... especially my father." He gave a small chuckle.

He took a seat at the river bank, listening to the gentle call of the crickets and the frogs. He took in a deep breath of fresh air, "So, Serina... I would expect you would have a lover or a suitor be now, " He looked at her, "I'm not surprised you were a center of attention in the tavern, you know."

"Your father? Mine whipped me so badly I couldn't sit straight for a fortnight. Who's idea was it again? Mine or James?"

She laughed as she remember that. Her father had been aghast when he saw her sneak in. It had been no time for a young lady to arrive home.

"Me, a lover? No. I've saved that part of me for someone special. Suitors have come a plenty, but none have ever actually Suited me. They are all pompous men who thought I would turn onto a docile little creature. One even tried to hit me. He found that I hit back, twice as hard. What about yourself? Found a lady to call your wife, or have you been sowing wild oats around?"

A smile lingered on her face, yet it didn't reach her eyes. She suddenly felt sorry for asking that and turned to look at the river.

Haine couldn't help but give a little cough at her last question, and eventually broke out into laughter. It took a few moments for him to settle down, but he collected himself with a smirk carved into his lips, "Where, there were a few moments when I was in the company of women. None that I wished to pursue a relationship with, I have to say... many of the times were spontaneous, saving them from bandits or something like that. I'm sure James will tell you all about those times." He rolled his eyes.

He looked over at her, "So, what traits in this special person are you after, I have to ask?" he questioned, suddenly very interested. He didn't want to probe her too much... but he really did want to know.

She thought for a moment before saying, "He has to be strong. I need someone who would make me feel fragile, like, I was a priceless piece of art. I want a man who will take care of me, yet let me be independant." She looked over at him and realized that the two were really close. In her mind she added, 'Someone like you.' But she didn't say it out loud.

She asked him the same question, her eyes twinkling in the moonlight. Her lower lip was locked by her small pink tongue and then she began chewing on it.

Back
Top Bottom