Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Stranger in No Man's Land (Shadow Wolf & Greeneyed23)

Greeneyed23

Pulsar
The city of St. Louis has long competed with the other major cities of the United States to be the most violent and is one of the quickest growing. While sociologists love to study the city they have not yet found the true reason of the violence or growth. Vampires and Werewolves. They have been at war for millenia, no one is truly sure why. Because of it's central location and position between the Eastern and Western States, the bases of the Vampires and the Werewolves respectively with the werewolves of course seeking the open ranges though they have taken the western cities for themselves by necessity. They had pushed the vampires back across the Mississippi but here the push had stopped around the turn of the twentieth century. Since then a kind of cold war has existed with no major battles but countless skirmishes and impromptu firefight. The bloodshed was still immense and though they tried neither side could figure a way around the other nor could they gain advantage.

St. Louis itself is the center of the conflict with actual street combat going on beneath the eyes of the humans. here is here the best warriors for both sides are deployed but also where their leaders are. Both sides are always recruiting and changing, and of course they have their young who make foolish mistakes or because of high ideals try to cause issues, but in all the war is just waiting for the right spark before the wolves and fangs rise up and truly resume their ancient battle.

Rex Trammell, his thick black hair hanging down his neck his intense eyes gazing out over the city has just flown into the city and is now riding the metro not sure where he will get off just looking to see what he will do. He is wearing casual clothing, just simple loose belted blue jeans, a black t-shirt and a deep brown leather jacket with walking boots on his feet a military duffel bag over his shoulder. A pair of dog tags around his neck mark him as a discharged Marine. He is quiet, patient, and polite, having stood to allow a pair of older women his seat. Now he just watches and considers wondering where to begin his new life.

Juliet Marguerite sat in the corner of the metro just minding her own business, she wore a long black cloak with a hood to cover her face. No one knew she was a vampire, she was new to the area herself because she'd toured the world after fleeing from her home land. Her long red hair fell against both shoulders underneath her hood, she kept her head bowed because she didn't want anyone to know she was in the united states. For a woman of her age, stature she managed make sure no one was able to make eye contact with her. She could smell the man who had given up his seat, she felt like she was going to vomit of course she knew of the war cause well she was in town visiting some friends. Her enhanced senses currently made her wish she wasn't a vampire, when the metro came to a stop she stepped off with her vintage bag paying no mind to who she bumped in the process.

Once she felt she was safe she lowered her hood, let her eyes scan her new surrounding well aware that unless her friend met her she would have to find her way around the town with no sense of direction since she had no idea where her friend lived. She raised her hood again when she felt intimidated, looked at the ground beneath her. Right now she was very easily startled or frightened which was unnatural for a vampire, considering her vampire ranking it was beneath her to be afraid of anything. She wasn't an elder or anything that high in the vampire community but she was a high enough ranking vampire that she could be the one to stop the ongoing war.

Rex had noticed the young lady in the hood and though he had not seen her eyes he had decided to take her exit. He was not sure why but his instincts had never yet lead him wrong. So as she left the metro so did he. He tried to move past her not wanting to see to be following her but the crowd had stalled him. Now as he walked he saw her and tried to move away but just then the crowd shifted and he bumped into her. He caught her before she could fall though.

"Im so sorry are you alright?" He tried to draw back but the crowd was swarming around them now so he stop moving so they'd stop getting jostled. "Forgive me i don't mean to be forward." Once the crowd dwindled and the metro left he started to move away from her straightening his bag. "Again sorry."

'' I'm Fine, it's quite alright. '' Juliet lowered her hood, let him make eye contact with her if he wished to that is. She had fangs like any vampire but only used them when she was feeding she didn't believe in scaring people it was against her nature, she knew it was against vampire regulations to not scare anybody but she didn't follow half of them anyways. The red head made an odd face as she placed her hand over her nose because he reeked, it wasn't body Oder or sweat it was what he was. His belled smelled like bile to her, it made her feel very dizzy but she tried to keep her balance because she didn't want to seem like a freak or something to that effect if she passed out on him seeing as she didn't even know him but she knew he was a skin walker that part was what made her sick.

He did look at her eyes and caught her reaction and he suddenly knew what she was as well. he raised his hands and spoke quietly. "look I'm not on either side in you war. i just want to be left alone. Don't call your clans or whatever you call them now."

He had backed up and he kept his hands raised as if she had a gun on him. "I don't want any trouble... may I go?" He had had many run ins with both of the powers of the supernatural world.

'' I'm here to stop the war.. My name is Juliet Marguerite, you go if you wish. But since I don't know these lands I could use a bodyguard of sorts.'' Juliet said as she watched him she wished to bring him no harm, she wouldn't report him to any clan or coven because well her words were true she would need someone to protect her. '' I can pay you good money..'' She said as she reached into the pocket of her cloak, took out a small coin purse. She reached inside, took out a few very large bills. Hoping he would turn down her money because even though she had plenty of it she didn't want to be on the hit list of a rogue clan for paying a skin walker to protect her due to her lack of knowledge of the united states.

he blinks and takes the money. "Alright..Deal. Where are we going?" Skin walkers actually come in two modes. either neutral like Rex or the rogues who must be killed. he could be rogue but not likely as he is traveling out in the open. They are not trusted because they can pose as either side and are very very hard to kill.

He studies her. "Are you alright/ you look kinda sick. And just so you know I'm not a rogue. I like breathing" His eyes look for her friends or other bodyguards in case this is a trap of some kind.

'' I'll be fine it's just your scent makes me sick. Nothing personal, were going to I believe 319 Covington street. '' Juliet said as she put the coin purse back in her cloak, raised her hood so no one would see her she couldn't afford to be seen. She held onto her bag as she hesitantly linked her arm with his so he could lead the way, hoped no one of importance some them because she could lose her loyalty just as quickly as she had gained it. Juliet believed him when he said he wasn't a rogue, liked breathing she just hoped her friend would be as accepting of the skin walker as she was despite his horrible smell. But she hadn't seen the friend she was visiting in years, for all she knew he could have changed dramatically after all she had left him behind to tour the world now she had returned to his native home land in which she was unfamiliar with.

He nodded and guided her to a Taxi and gave the address. He slowly shifted his body until his scent was more like a vampires. He did not know how well this would work but if he was goign to blend in he could not afford to give away his scent like this. He watched her closely gathering that she was foreign.He did not speak as they drove along as he did not want the cabbie reporting to his masters what he heard.

Juliet was quiet the entire ride, when he shifted his body so he smelled more like her kind she felt a little better. " I appreciate what your doing for me even if I did pay you." The red headed vampire said as she stayed hidden under her hood mostly because she refused to be seen by anyone that could easily bring her harm, she didn't trust very many people. She'd been taught at a young age that she couldn't trust just anyone, that philosophy stayed with her cause well it was easy for her to think she could trust someone then to get betrayed in the end by that same person. Juliet hoped he wouldn't betray her, she realized she didn't even know his name. " what is your name? I gave you mine now it's your turn. "

"Rex Trammell." He smiled at her unsure. He was wondering similar things to herself. Would the werewolves want his head for protecting a vampire? Would he have to kill to protect her? He shrugged. He had been paid and he would do his job. Hopefully she really was just visiting a friend then would leave quickly after her visit. He saw the signs of open conflict as they drove and it troubled him that they were driving into of the war-zone. He did not let her see but he saw a small battle for a street where three vampires were ripped apart by thirty werewolves. Then another just three blocks down where three vampires killed ten werewolves with grenades and guns. The driver noticed nothing and Rex shook his head. Humans.

'' Rex.. a very nice name. '' Juliet said as she leaned her head against the window, made sure her hood was still on her head. She wanted to close her eyes because she hadn't slept since she arrived, she hoped her friend would be home. '' How much further? '' The red headed vampire asked as she bit her lip, of course she'd forgotten she was a vampire most of the time so she always managed to make her lip bleed. She cursed as she reached for a tissue in her bag, dabbed the blood then put it away hoping it would stop or at least heal so she didn't have to lick it off or someone else had to lick it off. Juliet had never been in love because of her trust issues, she didn't know if falling in love was for her due to the fact that she normally killed any male she came across.

"We are here." Rex got out with his bag then came around and opened her door then held his hand out for her. He was looking around silently checking from threats from any directions. This was actually a fairly peaceful portion of the city so no one was attacking or defending the area though he smelled it belonged to the vampires. If Juliet or her friends decided he was of no use Rex was doomed and though he had faced many threats in the Marines he had never been so close to death as he was. he licked his lips and ran his bag hand up through his hair trying not show any sign of being a threat. he felt quite clearly how dangerous it was to be a shapeshifter in a warzone. This was a baaaad idea

Juliet picked up her bag, took his hand. She kept her hood up then paid the cab fare then told the drive to leave, she let go of his hand lifting her dress a little she walked up the stairs then raised her hand letting her dress fall. She knocked on the door, waited for answer hoping her friend wasn't dead cause well it had been awhile since she had seen him. Juliet knew that she would be the one breaking up the war, she hoped Rex was accepted because she would need someone that could protect her when she wanted to go out or just relax it would be good to have someone there to look out for her. '' Oh Come on Dominick..'' She muttered as she knocked on the door again, she was growing very impatient she was even growing a tad bit annoyed because she was tired very tired plus the sun would be rising in a few short hours which meant she would have to be asleep before then or she would turn to dust.

Rex stayed at the bottom of the steps watching everything carefully his eyes tracing over everything. He heard someone inside the house and while they smelled right he just was not sure. He also smelled something else. werewolves. A lot of werewolves coming toward them homing in on Juliet hungrily. "Juliet we need to get inside..."NOW!" he ran up the stairs ad kicked the door open and yanked her inside. He turned slamming the door just as more than a hundred werewolves land in the street. He leaned against the door staring at her.

'' Dominick!'' Juliet screamed as she ran into the living room where he was, she knelt down before him placing his head in her lap. '' Nicky please don't leave me I need you. '' She whispered as she let go of his head letting it lay in her lap she lowered her hood just as tears began to run down her cheek, she held his head with one hand as she caressed his cheek with her thumb he was like a brother to her, taught her all she needed to know but she couldn't lose him. Turning to Rex she hissed at him, turned her attention back to Dominick. She shouldn't have been mad at Rex it wasn't his fault but still she had always thought Dominick's place was a safe place for vampires, now she was learning otherwise which really scared her.

Dominick's eyes fluttered as she hissed and he groaned. "Juliet..." He closed his eyes taking a deep breath and reached into his shirt and pulled out a trio of bullets then looked up at his window where three holes were sitting out of sight of the main walk. "Smart of them. Who's your friend?"

Rex watched them both still holding the door closed. When he saw the bullets he understood. They had knocked him out to try and catch Juliet in the open. But who? Werewolves don't use guns...do they?

'' His name is Rex.. I met him at the metro station where you were supposed to meet me.. He's looking out for me, I'm glad your okay.'' Juliet said as she let go of his head, let it gently hit the carpeted floor. She stood up, held her hand out to him well aware that once he got a good smell of Rex he would feel the same way she'd felt earlier. She also knew he wouldn't be happy there was a skin walker in his house, she bit her lip it was a habit she picked up over the years watching various humans when they were nervous. The red headed vampire had picked up several human quirks by watching modern movies, just doing her research so she could fit in a lot better. She let her hood lay at the back of her cloak as she waited for him to take her hand knowing how stubborn he could be when it came to help of any kind.

He rubbed the back of his head glaring at her as he got up. "i was shot and electrocuted Juliet!! Gimme a break." he grunted brushing aside her hand and went to see Rex. he grunted again at the smell. "Skin Walker?" Rex nodded still holding the door which was shaking. "Ah yes nearly forgot about them. Excuse me." he reached past Rex and pressed on a panel by the door which opened then he pressed a button and a pair of turrets began firing at the werewolves outside. They scattered and Rex straightened. "thanks..." he watch the new vampire cautiously yet again no moving in case they got nervous. Dominick sighed. "thank you for bringing my friend here Rex. " he turned to Juliet. "now tell me again what is it you came for?" He rubbed his head feigning severe pain.

'' I'm here to stop the war remember? I'm the only one that can stop it, you know that. I know your older then me, more experienced at being a vampire but that doesn't mean I can't stop this war. You know how respected my family was before they were killed, I was turned.'' Juliet said as she placed a strand of hair behind her ear, sat down on the stairs she was still very tired she was even hungry but she didn't want him to do to much since he was hurt. She felt bad Dominick had gotten hurt, wished she could have saved him from the pain but he was obviously very prideful he always had been which often pissed her off at times especially when he was teaching her the ropes.

He went first and got her a pouch of fresh blood while Rex looked at her. "You can stop the war? how..You.." he shakes his head not understanding as Dominick hands her the blood pouch. Dominick's eyes are narrowed. "How exactly? Your message was not very clear." Rex looked between the two so very confused."

Juliet took the packet of blood, sank her fangs into it. She drank until it was gone then licked her lips, well she needed to explain herself obviously. " well for starters we need to focus on who started the war, I have a feeling it could be a hybrid trying to get revenge.." Juliet said she had done her research, had was pretty sure it was someone out to avenge lost loved ones or his own life. The red headed vampire was quite bright, liked to research things before she jumped into it with both feet even knowing it could be her demise.

Rex looks at Dominick. "Is that true?" He shrugs. "i really don't know But i suppose. but what are you going to do Juliet? You are barely a hundred year old. this war is a hundred times older than you." Rex blinked. "Ten thousand years? No way." Dominick grins. "Oh yes. Easily actually. We have records going back at least that far. Likely several more." Rex blinked. "Wow...im glad to just be a skinwalker...but yeah..if it's a hybrid won't it be essentially impossible to kill?"

" Okay so maybe I can't stop the war but perhaps we can gather all the clans/covens maybe even the elders even if there not all dead.." Juliet said as she chewed on her lower lip she was surprised Dominick didn't have a bodyguard of his own, she was even more surprised he didn't have some sort of slave at his beacon call like she'd known him to have in the past. The vampiress had feelings for Dominick but she would never admit them, then there was Rex the skin walker she didn't know about that one because she barely knew him. She'd known Dominick since she was a girl or so, well he was a good friend nothing more then that.

Both of them nod thoughtfully. "Too bad I just lost Jenny. Lovely girl. you would have liked her Juliet. But she died last week from a decapitation." Rex blinks. "Decapitation?" Dominick nods. "She was fighting off a werewolf and another came up behind her and garotted her cut her head clean off." Rex nods surprised as Dominick sighs. "Well i suppose we can do that."

Back
Top Bottom