Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What's The Reason Behind Your Name?

HeartOfTheDarkness

Promise Nothing, Deliver Less
I love going on these threads and learning a little bit about my fellow users. Reading about the things that make them smile, that piss them off, their favorite games, their favorite drinks, random facts, it's all fascinating. As I've talked with some of my partners and have gotten to know them, I've learned about their usernames, and what it means. So I want to start a thread, and see what's the meaning being your username.

I'm aware that some of them are for simple reasons like "it sounds cool" or "it's a nickname". I'm fine with that.

I'm really curious to see what people say about the meaning behind their names. I'll go first to start off.

For HeartOfTheDarkness, I picked this because at the time, I was reading a lot of The Darkness comics. Actually, my usual username on most places is DarknessHarbinger, but someone apparently beat me to that name on this site, so I picked this instead. I guess it can go with a lot of other things I like too, like how most of my favorite characters are the villains.

There, let's see what other people have. :)

My real name is Realeighn. Rea is a nickname. Also, Gavin & Michael <3

I chose this name because earlier on in the day, my friend called me Miss Muffintops (referring to the double bubble you get when your bra is too small.)

I chose mine because I'm an avid Ace Combat fan. Loved that type of aerial dogfighter games, and personally think that few can match up to it in terms of execution.

Regardless, the fifth installment (Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War) features a legend known as 'The Demon Razgriz'. And a few poem stanzas featured in the game itself really struck me as just....plain awesome.

The poem (assembled from its pieces) in question:

"Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the Abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath

The demon soars through dark skies
Fear and death trail its shadow
Until men united wield a hallowed sabre
In the final reckoning the beast is slain

As the Demon sleeps man turns on man
His own blood and madness spread throughout the earth
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz
Its raven wings ablaze with majestic light"

My username is a play off of one of my most favorite, now considered to be cliche, supernatural creatures to exist--namely, the vampire. They are the dark angels who come to you by night, giving you their immortal kiss as they taste of your blood.

And, for the record... these dark angels of which I speak do not sparkle in any way...

As for the 76? That is merely my birth year. The year of my country's, the good ol' USA's, bicentenniel! :)

Like DA, my name originates from my favorite mythical creature; the Incubus. There is simply something incredibly enticing about the power to descend upon a beautiful woman in her sleep and lay with her sexually, even impregnating her, without her being able to wake and protect herself. Of course, there are several variations of these creatures, as there are with many mythical beasts, but that aspect of them remains a steady constant.

As for the Dreams portion; that is a play on words. Incubi do not sleep. They are masters of the dream world; entering a woman's dreams, seizing control of the subconscious fantasy, and recreating it as reality.

What would a creature with such power dream about, I wonder.

I love all of the names. :)

@Rea: I love your name Realeighn. Also, the profile picture comes from their podcast and is one of Gavin's infinite words of wisdom.

@Ms_Muffintops: I see, that's actually a little bit funny. :p

@Razgirz: Interesting. I've never played the games, although I have a good friend that is a big fan. I might want to check that out. :)

@DA: Thank you. I've been a fan of vampires for a long time, and you don't know how angry I get when I see what's considered to be vampires now. I've honestly never thought of vampires as dark angels though. I always thought that dark angels were just fallen angles. That's pretty cool, now that I think about it.

@Incubus Dreams: It's interesting because I've found the Succubus to be a very interesting creature. I'm also a little embarrassed to admit that I've only just learned about the Incubus in recent years. It is an interesting thing to think about. What would a creature that enters dreams dream about? ...........Sandwiches :p

Sandwiches? Well, maybe if said sandwich involved a second incubus and a young maiden perhaps. The play on words extends from that quandary and into my RPs; many of which will be the stuff of incubi wet dreams.

I was just joking around about how some of the more complex questions like what a creatures that enter dreams dream about, and giving them the simplest of answers. It's interesting to think about what an Incubus would dream about, what is consisted in their wet dreams. It could be something extremely complicated, or it could be as simple as finding it's true love.

Boxy is pretty much short for Boxman, or Boxman108, or many variations I've used before(another I'm using at present would be Like A Boxx). People generally seem to think I've named myself after Boxman from both the 'Boxman's got a girlfriend' and 'Boxman 2.0' videos on youtube, or a bit embarrassingly after Boxxy the infamous internet troll. I knew about neither when I'd chosen this name.

Where I got it from was my favorite character on my favorite tv show: John Locke from Lost. Or, rather, a nickname given to him by another character after he'd explained to him he worked at a box company. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find the specific scene in which this happens, or too many others for that matter. Guess ABC really does not want people to be able to watch it on youtube.

Anyway, I figured it would be a nice name as I haven't had any others that really stuck. Choosing the nickname of a character I felt I related a lot to just felt "right".

My name came from two sources.

I was often accused of being too rough when I played games as a child, something I was consistently discouraged from doing in the house (no rough housing). The other source came from an episode of the tv series "Jack of All Trades." The episode depicted the heroes in the show having to go to the Marque De Sade's private resort Agony Island, and they meet a couple Deter and Helga Ruphhausin. It just clicked that I should use that name here.

My nomme de plume here is my Sim's name. Stole a screen grab of her (which does bear a decent to good resemblance to me) for my avatar.

Xavier Harper is a name I use for D&D, and is usually for a heroic style character. Zeheris originated from a camping trip with a Christian Youth group I was in. We were asked to use 'Superhero' names for the trip. I came up with Zeheris. Since then, I've used it for any single name character, when I want a unique name, and arcane characters in D&D.

Ms_Muffintops said:
I chose this name because earlier on in the day, my friend called me Miss Muffintops (referring to the double bubble you get when your bra is too small.)

Actually, the term "muffin top" is more commonly used to describe the roll of fat that hangs just above the waistband when a woman is wearing a pair of jeans that are too tight.

My username is that of a character from a role-play I've been in for 3 years now. In addition to being one of my favorites to write for, I've always liked the quality of these sounds as they are said together.

Ooh, good thread, I like hearing all the weird little stories of people's online identities.

For HeartOfTheDarkness, I picked this because at the time, I was reading a lot of The Darkness comics. Actually, my usual username on most places is DarknessHarbinger, but someone apparently beat me to that name on this site, so I picked this instead. I guess it can go with a lot of other things I like too, like how most of my favorite characters are the villains.

I can admit, I totally thought yours was a Joseph Conrad/Heart of Darkness thing. But I'm a dork.

Mine's from this poem, fourth verse. I was casting about for a username with okay euphony, and pulled at random from what I'd recently read.

Thanks, I'm enjoying this too. It's great to read the stories about people's usernames. Some of them come from personal stories, others are just picked form what's fresh in the user's mind.

If I never read those comics, or played the games, I probably would've picked something else entirely. Maybe something Spawn related since I'm a huge fan of the comics, or something from whatever game I was playing at the time. I think it's a better username than any of my old ones, most of them were Snorelax related (my favorite pokemon)

Suspires said:
Ooh, good thread, I like hearing all the weird little stories of people's online identities.

I can admit, I totally thought yours was a Joseph Conrad/Heart of Darkness thing. But I'm a dork.

Mine's from this poem, fourth verse. I was casting about for a username with okay euphony, and pulled at random from what I'd recently read.

My mind immediately went there too and I was really glad it wasn't from that extremely racist piece of literature.

Anyway, I'm a bit of a history buff (particularly early English medieval) so... Nennius was the handle I selected.

In middle school, I played softball, and throughout the season, the coach would eventually gives us nicknames. I got mine from a Ritz cracker related thing, and the name stuck. In high school, I played with most of the same girls, so they called me Ritzy as well. As most of my friends were girls on the team, it just became a nickname of mine that I use wherever.

I developed my name on Gaia and brought it here. I was so fascinated with blood and vampires ( before they were showered in glitter) and the Ava was so beautiful to me. I was madly in love with the Anne Rice books. I do not remember where I picked up the name Ava though. It also hints at one of my favorite role playing styles. Historically dark. Like medieval with fantasy.

Sorry, it didn't cross my mind that people would think that. My username was mainly to represent the comics I like as well as my favorite characters usually being the bad guys or anti-heros.

There are some pretty cool names guys. I love the stories behind some of them. :)

I've had this user name on other sites since like 2007, I thought it was good and I based it off the song below. The line in it goes "Welcome to my happy world, now get your shit and leave"... Well I thought it was funny.
>w>

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/9ImVUOUjKlw[/video]

mine is two parts first the Valkeryie part comes from a group of old freinds of mine. we all had nicknames like thor, loki, eric the brave. Well I started dating loki and the guy we called thor dubbed me the nickname of valkeryiesince then I have either been called valkeryie or valk fot short. Second firestorm is a metophor for when I'm angry. my family started the metaphor nicknames when my cousin started throwing fits as a kid and they called her hurricane. I'm friestorm my cousins brother is tornado and miss hurricanes daughter is nicknamed typhoon.

My name is honestly my real name, though i'd rather not announce my entire name I will say that my mother, (R.I.P.) gave me a new name entirely. Seperate from her or my fathers last name. She wanted me to be unique. Which sometimes doesn't help. I've learned that Advent is a religious term, such as the Advent of christ. My first and last name refer to angels/christianity, where my middle name refers to a bird that is commonly looked upon as evil. She was not a very religious person until her final days so I never understood why she did it. I refuse to change it simply for her sake. It is, however, An interesting mix to be sure.

I found it being generated by one of those email-y, signup-y things and I thought, "Hey - that sounds kinda cool" so I nicked it for meself.

Back
Top Bottom