Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Random Info About You 2.0

The cello is an amazing instrument, but then hardest part is learning to read sheet music and switching from Trebble to Bass clef. If he keeps at it, he can play cello like you wouldn't believe, especially if he begins at an early age. (Has played bass/cello since 6th grade)

I have always loved the cello myself. I find the tones rich and lovely... probably why I'm so fond of the Romantic era music, especially those falling under Expressionism. But, as one who has been playing piano since the age of 5, I'm very versed in going back and forth between the clefs. I had no choice, lol! So, hopefully I'll be able to help him if he has troubles. And I definitely plan on encouraging both of my kids in the ways of music and playing any instrument that catches their fancy. My son has been pushing for cello longer than piano--probably for about 3 months now--so I plan on having him start as soon as he is able. Not being a string instrument player, I'm not sure when that is, so I have to do a bit of research. But I definitely plan to have him do piano come the Fall. And if his age and size are fine to have him start cello in the Fall as well... I'm going for it.

May I make a few recommendations? First, if buying a cello for him to learn with, get the cheapest one you can buy. Yes, the lower quality of construction DOES make a difference in the sound, but for just learning, have him use something cheap. When he is older- about the time he is in 7th grade (to my knowledge, not a lot of Elementary schools have an Orchestra, so Middle school is the first free class regimen he can take), look into getting a more expensive, higher quality instrument. Just make sure that if he DOES join the school orchestra, he keeps his personal instrument at home, as most schools will provide him with an instrument (although you DO have to rent it from the school)- that rental fee is going to be FAR less than having to pay for a new instrument should something happen to his personal one.

As to when you should introduce him to the instrument himself, I recommend waiting until he can hold down a bass string comfortably against a fret board for this, try taking him to a music shop every now and then. Let him try to see how a violin feels on his fingers as he applies pressure to the strings. From there, go with him occasionally until he is comfortable holding down strings on a 6-string bass guitar (if he can do this without incident, he can definitely handle a cello)- guitar center is a good place to do this, and you run less risk of getting on bad terms with the owner of a small music shoppe or a pawn shop.

Make sure you invest in rosin- a semi sticky substance (usually made from tree sap) used to lubricate the strings on the bow. Its not exactly cheap, but if used right it can last a good long while. The rosin is important- without it, the bow runs the risk of hairs breaking and the instruments strings being damaged. Bass/cello strings aren't exactly that cheap. If we were talking bass guitar you could buy some decent nickel would strings for around $10, but because this is orchestral, the strings will generally be more pricey. This goes hand in hand with the bow- its possible to play without it, but it's like trying to play the piano by striking the interior strings with a rubber mallet not the same in any way, and it can be derptrimental to the instrument and the strings (yes, derptrimental)

Buy a tuner. This will help like you wouldn't believe. Strings (for instruments like the guitar, bass, cello, etc) are sensitive to many factors including time, humidity, even air pressure and temperature. That said, its recommended you tune the strings to the perfect pitch at least once a week, if not more, so as to prevent the instrument from giving off a disharmonious sound. Get familiar with how to tune your string instrument of choice and how an ideally tuned instrument should sound.

The biggest thing I can recommend is this- the bridge, where the strings run across (below the fingerboard, need the bottom of the instrument) is incredibly incredibly fragile. Be careful with them, because they can be difficult to get repaired.

Since you have musical experience, most of this should be like Music 101 for you, but I just wanted to cover all my bases. I wish you and your son luck in this if one keeps at it, the cello can be a very delighting, even rewarding instrument to play, and because it translates easily to and from bass (both orchestral and guitar) he can quickly become a multi-instrumentalist.

I understand what you're saying. I'm not a string instrument person, but I'm versed enough to get it. And I played in band and orchestra back in the day, lol. I do have experience with piano and woodwinds, had friends who played brass. So..... it's just a matter of asking around. Though the points you've brought up are indeed helpful pointers, so thanks for that. :) I shall keep them all in mind when I do my homework and look arounds for my son. I definitely plan on being active during the whole process as he gets started on things. So, I'm sure my understanding of things will increase with the strings. :)

Fact: Went to IKEA with my cousin and her girlfriend to look for a bed.
Fact: While we were there we seen a nice bed with a headboard that was made of black bars.
Fact: First thing that comes out of my mouth is "Oh that'd be perfect to tie someone too" o_O
Fact: Everyone within hearing distance looked at me, some with confused expressions and some with....smirks :p

Snake Plissken said:
Fact: While we were there we seen a nice bed with a headboard that was made of black bars.
Fact: First thing that comes out of my mouth is "Oh that'd be perfect to tie someone too" o_O
Fact: Everyone within hearing distance looked at me, some with confused expressions and some with....smirks :p

<3 you, Snake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehe!!!!! Just awesome!!!

darkangel76 said:
Snake Plissken said:

<3 you, Snake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehe!!!!! Just awesome!!!

:D My cousins eyes widened and she was like "You freak" needless to say she didn't know I was into that stuff lol

Snake Plissken said:

This made me chuckle.

Fact: I've never done this before and I only started with 'Fact:' because others were doing it and I thought it was an unwritten rule?

True tidbit- I am not sure I have anything interesting to say?

- I love reptiles of all kinds, snakes are my top favorite though.
- I want to volunteer with a reptile rescue.
- Biggest snake I have held is a Albino Sunfire Super Dwarf x 2 Reticulated Python!

:O

Me gusta.

But I hate bugs, so I can't own a snake, even though I love them. That, and everyone in my family is terrified of them save for my brother and me.

Although, I will admit, if I can get some scratch together to own a terrarium, first thing I'm buying is either a bearded dragon or a baby Colombian greenback iguana.

Or maybe one of those African armadillo lizards I can't remember the name of..... They look like little dragons!

Millenium Joker said:
:O

Me gusta.

But I hate bugs, so I can't own a snake, even though I love them. That, and everyone in my family is terrified of them save for my brother and me.

Although, I will admit, if I can get some scratch together to own a terrarium, first thing I'm buying is either a bearded dragon or a baby Colombian greenback iguana.

Or maybe one of those African armadillo lizards I can't remember the name of..... They look like little dragons!

Mrow! Another reptile fan? <3

A bearded dragon is a great starter I believe! That being said if it's your first reptile, they are pretty laid back, of course they are animals so who knows! But everyone I have ever known to own a Bearded Dragon, just loved it!

Armadillo Girdled lizard?

One of my favorite lizards, if I had to pick one anyway, would be Uromastyx. For small anyway, big lizard, Black throat monitor hands down!

That's it, the armadillo girdled lizard. They're just... So adorable! And the fact that I plan to own one and call him Smaug......

Maybe have him eat some mice dressed up as orcs and dwarves.....

Wait, they do eat mice, right? Cruz if its strictly bugs..... I... Can't ever own one. Phobia, you know?

That uromastyx... Hmm.... I'll admit, its the first time I've seen one (just did a search) and I gotta say, I see the appeal, but.... Something about a lizard that looks like it's gonna fire a softball at me the second I turn away from it.....

Maybe I'll buy a chameleon. Just not one of those weird ones that have then bug eyes and hands (claws?) That look like bean bags. They kinda remind me of sentient beanie babies.

Would you recommend owning a ball python? Always wanted one (cousin owned one years ago, thing was always sweet as a kitten with me) but never felt comfortable taking care of one for some reason- like, I'm going to accidentally hurt it or something.

Millenium Joker said:
That's it, the armadillo girdled lizard. They're just... So adorable! And the fact that I plan to own one and call him Smaug......

Wait, they do eat mice, right? Cruz if its strictly bugs..... I... Can't ever own one. Phobia, you know?

That uromastyx... Hmm.... I'll admit, its the first time I've seen one (just did a search) and I gotta say, I see the appeal, but.... Something about a lizard that looks like it's gonna fire a softball at me the second I turn away from it.....

Maybe I'll buy a chameleon. Just not one of those weird ones that have then bug eyes and hands (claws?) That look like bean bags. They kinda remind me of sentient beanie babies.

Would you recommend owning a ball python? Always wanted one (cousin owned one years ago, thing was always sweet as a kitten with me) but never felt comfortable taking care of one for some reason- like, I'm going to accidentally hurt it or something.

Sorry to say, but they actually do eat insects. : ( I understand how phobias are.

Haha the uromastyx that I have dealt with, was actually a complete sweety! But of course any animal on the face of this planet can have a bad day. But it's tails was just...so amazing, and it gave me a lot of kisses. : 3

Chameleon's eat insects too I'm afraid. Most lizards do, unless you want a large lizard. Which if you get them small, they may eat insects to a point. But it all depends on the breed honestly.

I would indeed recommend a ball python! I think they are a pretty good starter snake, usually people want to get them at a young age. Which if you do so, be prepared to get a bite. It is a baby, but they will get use to you, but of course you can own one and it never bite you ever. Ball pythons are pretty docile though, and they do eat mice! Haha. Pinkies at first, unless you get a grown one, then you go by the size of the snake. I can understand that, but snakes are pretty much pure muscle, unless you are doing something awful to them.

Zea said:
Millenium Joker said:

Sorry to say, but they actually do eat insects. : ( I understand how phobias are.

Haha the uromastyx that I have dealt with, was actually a complete sweety! But of course any animal on the face of this planet can have a bad day. But it's tails was just...so amazing, and it gave me a lot of kisses. : 3

Chameleon's eat insects too I'm afraid. Most lizards do, unless you want a large lizard. Which if you get them small, they may eat insects to a point. But it all depends on the breed honestly.

I would indeed recommend a ball python! I think they are a pretty good starter snake, usually people want to get them at a young age. Which if you do so, be prepared to get a bite. It is a baby, but they will get use to you, but of course you can own one and it never bite you ever. Ball pythons are pretty docile though, and they do eat mice! Haha. Pinkies at first, unless you get a grown one, then you go by the size of the snake. I can understand that, but snakes are pretty much pure muscle, unless you are doing something awful to them.

Multiple tails?

Uromastyx just became more awesome to me.

Well.... Shit.... I guess I can buy a bag of crickets, right? Or frozen insects.....

I still want a large lizard. I like mice- they're cute, but reptiles are cuter, so I have no problem feeding them.

I fully expect to get bitten at some point by a snake, but the thing is, around more domesticated ones I feel no fear- so far, they all just wrap around my wrist and snuggle up against my hand (or face if I put them on my shoulders)- not the smartest thing to do, putting a snake around your neck, but its like wearing a turtleneck sweater, really. Except in look like less of a dork.

So it's settled. Step 1: buy my parties favors amend toys I want (cool shit)

Step 2: buy that German Shepard puppy I always wanted

Step 3: buy a reptile after choosing the right one. Preferably a bearded dragon. Because they are the only thing smaller than a baby that I have ever laughed at when it decides "yup, I'm pooping wherever the fuck I want."

Typo mistake!! The only have one tail, though if they had multiple tails that would be badass!

I believe you can get already dead insects, and just dump like the container in the habitat. That way you never have to make contact with them.

I love Dumbo Rats, they are the cutest things. But I love snakes more and the Snow Corn snake I use to have, I feed her live mice. She was pretty funny about them though.

I love having snakes around my neck, feels like a massage to me. I actually had the Albino Sunfire Super Dwarf x 2 Reticulated Python around my shoulders and such.

True Tidbit- I also had a fully grown Red Tail Boa around my neck! Precious babies they are.

- Those are some pretty awesome steps! I want a Dobie, Saint Bernard and Irish Wolf Hound.

Haha I think you will greatly enjoy the Breaded Dragon if you so choose to get one!

Well, I used to own a purebred Siberian Husky I adopted when he was 2 months old. His Name was Onyx Skarr, and he was adorable. Little bastard was persnickety at the worst of times, argumentative at the funniest, and loving at the best. He was my closest friend while he lived with me, he was my little boy. But like all Husky breeds, he had too much energy, and I refused to have him neutered. I didn't know any tricks on expending his energy, like tying him to a child's radio wagon and putting bricks or cinderblocks on top so he could pull it and get a workout.

Well... He was great around us, even if he did shed a lot and got excited around new people (excited = jumping and peeing on people) but he had some kind of... Problem. See, we took him to a trainer for a while. What we didn't know and could never prove was that the trainer abused him. He was absolutely terrified of the crate and the pinch collar, to the point where he actually bit an aide at the vet's office.

We had to give him away after him being with us less than 2 years. I miss him every day.

So yeah, Either a German Shepherd or a Great Dane would be swell. Maybe a Shiba Inu like my brother wants.

Or, y'know. A reptile. So I can keep undesireables out of my room, away from my stuff.

How does one manage to get such snakes to be so docile around them, even draping them around the neck without it constricting? And where do I find a snake like the Albino Sun fire, cuz that shit is awesome!

Have you tried warm milk? I hear it helps sometimes. I'm guessing your baby is young enough that he (it.s a boy, yes?) cannot have tea or have honey mixed with his milk....

Fact: I just discovered Supernatural/Doctor Who crossover. Somebody help...

Info: Would love a Doctor Who/Being Human or Lost Girl crossover. >_> It just sounds cool.
Info: Went to work dressed up in pinup because it was easier than actually doing my hair. XD

Back
Top Bottom